The Official 2015 Yard Sale Thread Post your finds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here have a Commodore VIC-20? Turned on the one I got last weekend and I'm Trying to figure out why I'm not getting a picture on my HDTV. Maybe it only works on old school TVs? Here's a pic of the 2 cables it came with...

Maybe I need to buy a cable with for the Y/R/W RCA ports...

3B12BT9.jpg

Anyone here have a Commodore VIC-20? Turned on the one I got last weekend and I'm Trying to figure out why I'm not getting a picture on my HDTV. Maybe it only works on old school TVs? Here's a pic of the 2 cables it came with...

3B12BT9.jpg
If I recall, you're going to run into the same issue with an atari. The easiest was it to get an F-Phono to coax adapter. They have them for $2-$3 at radio shack. That will be the quickest and cheapest way to get this connected.

That box with the 2 prongs is to hook to an antenna and then screw the coax into it. But most probably don't remember the struggles youth had to go through to play a game.

Last edited by a moderator:

3B12BT9.jpg

If I recall, you're going to run into the same issue with an atari. The easiest was it to get an F-Phono to coax adapter. They have them for $2-$3 at radio shack. That will be the quickest and cheapest way to get this connected.

That box with the 2 prongs is to hook to an antenna and then screw the coax into it. But most probably don't remember the struggles youth had to go through to play a game.
I have two!

What Mirpkered said is the easiest way. You could also get a two prong antenna adapter (two wires screw to the box, converts to coax). The box style adapter was still used on early PS1's and I believe they were still available for the N64.

If you have done this already and still no video, it's possible the A/V switch is bad. They were notorious for going out and they were pretty expensive back in the day ($18 in 1982).

BONUS POST:

I literally took 12 pictures of this lot. All of them bad. :wall:

I saw these sitting in a gallon sized bag near the two women running the sale. I asked how much they wanted and the one said. "I haven't priced them yet and grabs her phone." (Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! went through my head as I watched her pic up the phone)

"Oh those are expensive aren't they? I think you should charge $50."

The other one said "No, that is too much...Maybe $25"

me: "How about $15?"

"umm. $20?"

"Sounds good!"

BTW: That is a "homemade wood stylus" that her son made. ;)

(Also that is Zelda ALTTP with four swords by the pokemon games. I know the font is hard to read. The two games in the cases on the left are both sealed.)

:bouncy:

more to come...

So I bought that F-Phono to coax adapter. Now when I turn on the system I get a black screen. Does it normally do that when there's no cartridges in the system? 

I'll probably dig up my old TV in the basement tonight and try it on that.

I don't have any game or software to try with it.

So I bought that F-Phono to coax adapter. Now when I turn on the system I get a black screen. Does it normally do that when there's no cartridges in the system?

I'll probably dig up my old TV in the basement tonight and try it on that.

I don't have any game or software to try with it.
Yo Ferrari, this is what you want.

https://www.8bitclassics.com/Atari-Commodore-TI99-Composite-Audio-Video-Cable.html

For your information, you should get a white screen with a cyan border when you first turn on a VIC 20. I'm quite familiar with it, as it was my first computer.

Storytime: My day started rocky. I got a late start mainly because I didn't sleep well and I do not feel well. There were not a lot of sales listed and it is quite warm. First sale I hit, "had games, but someone else bought them". Fair enough.

Next sale I see the guy that threatened to "kick my ass" a year or two ago.

The sale is set up with a table in the middle of a two car driveway. I start a fast walk to the sale as I see about 50 DVDs/possibly games on a table in the back. I'm on the left side of the driveway. He comes from the right speeds up his walk, then cuts me off on the left, like he is blocking my route. So I shift direction and start heading up the right side of the drive way and he runs next to me close enough where he bumps me. I say "You have trouble walking in a straight line?" and he goes " I don't know what you are talking about, I'm just walking." He cuts me off this time from the left and beats me to the table. Luckily there are no games on it. As we approach the guy running the sale says: "It looks like he was trying to block you off!" I said, "I'm glad I am not the only one that was thinking that. BTW, do you have any video games for sale?" He told me someone was there earlier and bought everything but his xbox. I thanked him and left and then the d-bag ran to his car, so he could try to beat me to the next sale. He is a big bully. I just don't get why people go out of their way to be assholes. Don't get me wrong I can be an ass to someone who had wronged me, but he is the one who started this feud.

So my day got better. I hit a sale and remembered the cute girls running it. I bought some stuff from them last year (from my week of epic finds-still not posted). She didn't have any other games to part with, but she gave me a Luigi pin from E3. She did have a pristine CIB NES for $75. If I didn't have several already, I would have made an offer on it. I'm still tempted to offer $50 for it if it is still there tomorrow, but in my area it probably sold for the $75 she was asking. I bought some DVDS from her and a couple oddball things.

I hit another sale and asked about games. I bought same games form her and she talked my ear off for about 25 minutes. I couldn't tell if she was hitting on me or trying to set me up with her daughter. Either way the conversation paid off and she sold me some decent stuff cheap.

Last sale I hit on my way to the library. The woman has a yearly sale and she always has decent stuff. As soon as I walked up and said "Hi", she said "I got something set aside for you. Are you interested in an old SEGA?"  :)  I said "I would like to take a look" with a smile and she went inside and brought it out. It didn't have the power cord, but she only wanted $10 for the lot. I only had $8 in my wallet and she said that is fine and thanked me. I thanked her and told her I would see her next time!

Another highlight. A lady asked me: "Has anyone ever told you, you look like Mark Ruffalo?" (I think it is because I haven't shaved for nearly a week). I said "No, but it is better than what I heard last". She said "Who did they say?" and I said "Dan Aykroyd". "No, you look like Mark and he is handsome and the HULK!" I thanked her, but I passed on her $50 DSlite and $10 per game, games. She was probably trying to make a sale, but it was a nice complement.

Storytime: My day started rocky. I got a late start mainly because I didn't sleep well and I do not feel well. There were not a lot of sales listed and it is quite warm. First sale I hit, "had games, but someone else bought them". Fair enough.

The sale is set up with a table in the middle of a two car driveway. I start a fast walk to the sale as I see about 50 DVDs/possibly games on a table in the back. I'm on the left side of the driveway. He comes from the right speeds up his walk, then cuts me off on the left, like he is blocking my route. So I shift direction and start heading up the right side of the drive way and he runs next to me close enough where he bumps me. I say "You have trouble walking in a straight line?" and he goes " I don't know what you are talking about, I'm just walking." He cuts me off this time from the left and beats me to the table. Luckily there are no games on it. As we approach the guy running the sale says: "It looks like he was trying to block you off!" I said, "I'm glad I am not the only one that was thinking that. BTW, do you have any video games for sale?" He told me someone was there earlier and bought everything but his xbox. I thanked him and left and then the d-bag ran to his car, so he could try to beat me to the next sale. He is a big bully. I'm pretty sure I could take him if it came to a fight because my 'crazy' far outweighs his height and weight advantage. I just don't get why people go out of their way to be assholes. Don't get me wrong I can be an ass to someone who had wronged me, but he is the one who started this feud.

So my day got better. I hit a sale and remembered the cute girls running it. I bought some stuff from them last year (from my week of epic finds-still not posted). She didn't have any other games to part with, but she gave me a Luigi pin from E3. She did have a pristine CIB NES for $75. If I didn't have several already, I would have made an offer on it. I'm still tempted to offer $50 for it if it is still there tomorrow, but in my area it probably sold for the $75 she was asking. I bought some DVDS from her and a couple oddball things.

I hit another sale and asked about games. I bought same games form her and she talked my ear off for about 25 minutes. I couldn't tell if she was hitting on me or trying to set me up with her daughter. Either way the conversation paid off and she sold me some decent stuff cheap.

Last sale I hit on my way to the library. The woman has a yearly sale and she always has decent stuff. As soon as I walked up and said "Hi", she said "I got something set aside for you. Are you interested in an old SEGA?" :) I said "I would like to take a look" with a smile and she went inside and brought it out. It didn't have the power cord, but she only wanted $10 for the lot. I only had $8 in my wallet and she said that is fine and thanked me. I thanked her and told her I would see her next time!

Another highlight. A lady asked me: "Has anyone ever told you, you look like Mark Ruffalo?" (I think it is because I haven't shaved for nearly a week). I said "No, but it is better than what I heard last". She said "Who did they say?" and I said "Dan Aykroyd". "No, you look like Mark and he is handsome and the HULK!" I thanked her, but I passed on her $50 DSlite and $10 per game, games. She was probably trying to make a sale, but it was a nice complement.
You are hitting up all these sales that probably only take cash and you only have $8 in your wallet? :)

You are hitting up all these sales that probably only take cash and you only have $8 in your wallet? :)
$8 in my wallet at that point in time. It was the last sale. I usually drop about $50-$100 on an average weekend depending on what I find, but I also keep an extra $100 in the car. Today was a light day. I dropped $15 at the cute girls, $8 at the last sale and $10 at the other sale. I don't think I bought anything else, but it is only Thursday. ;)

Update: I saw the cute girls sale on FB. They mentioned the NES sold yesterday to a guy that asked about it. I also noticed they had a vintage monopoly game and simpsons seasons that someone beat me to for $2 each. Not a good way to start the morning. Today I will scorch the earth.

Been a little too busy to post lately, but my grad class just wrapped up so I finally have some breathing room. Here are my highlights from the last few weeks, though admittedly I missed out on quite a few lots.

I paid $40 for this NES, which is a little high but it was in really good condition and it was for a friend who's looking to get back into retro gaming. I figured that for the price it's a nice little retro starter kit. Also picked up some Nerf guns at the sale for modding for a show I'm helping out with.

This lot was $20, but apparently it was cherry picked before I got there. Still, there was some good stuff in there for MAGFest and my bro.

This lot, plus a Genesis Model 1 and a Sega CD, was $60. Not the best deal, but there was competition there and MAGFest really needs Sega CD stuff. I'm gonna keep the Gameboy camera and the boxes.

This lot of was $10, and it was nice to finally find a copy of Pokemon Y in the wild, even if it's cart only.

Before anyone gets to excited about this find I should mention that all the boxes are empty save for the PSP game. It was $5, which was worth it to me to get boxes for two games I desperately want (Advance Wars and Fire Emblem), plus the guy said he had more so I wanted to make a good impression.

That was an instinct that served me well later, as the seller contacted me later after he dug out his N64 collection. He knew roughly what it was worth but let me grab everything below for $100 since I had told him about MAGFest and he's moving to California. Here's hoping I can grab the carts from those DS games off of him, too. ;)

This N64 lot was $30, not too bad.

And I bought a tub for consoles for $20. Nice to see a Saturn in the wild, but unfortunately there weren't any games.

I'm heading to Oregon next week for vacation, and I intend to some yard saling while I'm out there. I'm looking forward to seeing how sales out there are different.

Just got home about 15 minutes ago. Long day today. Got some good stuff. 25 cent laserdiscs, records, and a lot of games. Pics eventually. 

Looks like I'm done with yard sales for the most part this year, just accepted a full time job( graphic designer position obviously :p ). Hopefully I'll find some sales on Saturdays. Though that's probably not a good idea since I will be moving into an apartment with a friend that is meant for 1 person for a couple months lmao.

The sale is set up with a table in the middle of a two car driveway. I start a fast walk to the sale as I see about 50 DVDs/possibly games on a table in the back. I'm on the left side of the driveway. He comes from the right speeds up his walk, then cuts me off on the left, like he is blocking my route. So I shift direction and start heading up the right side of the drive way and he runs next to me close enough where he bumps me. I say "You have trouble walking in a straight line?" and he goes " I don't know what you are talking about, I'm just walking." He cuts me off this time from the left and beats me to the table. Luckily there are no games on it. As we approach the guy running the sale says: "It looks like he was trying to block you off!" I said, "I'm glad I am not the only one that was thinking that. BTW, do you have any video games for sale?" He told me someone was there earlier and bought everything but his xbox. I thanked him and left and then the d-bag ran to his car, so he could try to beat me to the next sale. He is a big bully. I'm pretty sure I could take him if it came to a fight because my 'crazy' far outweighs his height and weight advantage. I just don't get why people go out of their way to be assholes. Don't get me wrong I can be an ass to someone who had wronged me, but he is the one who started this feud.

Last sale I hit on my way to the library. The woman has a yearly sale and she always has decent stuff. As soon as I walked up and said "Hi", she said "I got something set aside for you. Are you interested in an old SEGA?" :) I said "I would like to take a look" with a smile and she went inside and brought it out. It didn't have the power cord, but she only wanted $10 for the lot. I only had $8 in my wallet and she said that is fine and thanked me. I thanked her and told her I would see her next time!

I wish I was there to get the Nes.

A few weeks back I went to a yard sale across from my house. They were video game collectors and wanted market price for everything. Facepalm.....

I have not gotten much a yard sales since May Lol.

Tomorrow has the bigges communityt yard sale in my county, so I hope things go well.

Last edited:
ROUGH day today. I overslept and was running late. I saw almost no games. Then my muffler fell off my car. Worst day of the year. I did get one solid find though. I grabbed an original Xbox for $5.00. The DVD drive on mine has been going. This one runs awesome. There were only a few saves on it, my guess is it was rarely used. I've never had such a quiet Xbox, ha ha. I love it. After solving my muffler issue I also hit some Half Price Books stores and a game stores and a pawn shop and did pretty darn well. Could have been worse but man...

ROUGH day today. I overslept and was running late. I saw almost no games. Then my muffler fell off my car. Worst day of the year. I did get one solid find though. I grabbed an original Xbox for $5.00. The DVD drive on mine has been going. This one runs awesome. There were only a few saves on it, my guess is it was rarely used. I've never had such a quiet Xbox, ha ha. I love it. After solving my muffler issue I also hit some Half Price Books stores and a game stores and a pawn shop and did pretty darn well. Could have been worse but man...
Haha, same thing happened to me a few weeks back. Mufflers... who needs them?

RIGHT! I got kind of lucky though, happened as I was pulling up to a sale where the guy running it used to  work in an auto shop and he had TONS of tools sitting out for sale, ha ha. He was nice enough to help me with the issue without me even asking. (not a car guy admittedly) If it was going to happen it couldn't have happened at a better time. Still definitely took the wind out of my sails though.

RIGHT! I got kind of lucky though, happened as I was pulling up to a sale where the guy running it used to work in an auto shop and he had TONS of tools sitting out for sale, ha ha. He was nice enough to help me with the issue without me even asking. (not a car guy admittedly) If it was going to happen it couldn't have happened at a better time. Still definitely took the wind out of my sails though.
You wouldn't have found anything anyway. I was on a mission yesterday. ;)

When people asked what games I wanted, I said:

Gary-Oldman-Yelling-Everyone-Leon-The-Professional.gif

The only bummer for me yesterday (other than 90 degree heat) was a guy had some wii games that I bought from him, but the smash bros and twilight princess he couldn't find the discs. I still got a decent lot from him and I left my number for the other games.

Man, I am so getting sick of the competition around here, and I'm officially done with community sales.

The one big sale I went to we got there soon after starting time only to hear, from the majority of the people we asked, that someone came by and bought the bulk of their games before they were even set up, at least 30 minutes before the advertised start time.  After going about halfway through the sale, I finally said fuck it and went to the solo sales scattered throughout the area.  

And then the ultimate heartbreak happened.  One sale I went to, I asked about games and she asked if I was joking, because she had a whole room full of boxes of stuff that she had sold a night before to a friend.  He paid for it, but hadn't come to pick it up so I made the mistake of asking to see what she had.   fuck me, I shouldn't have asked.  Boxes of consoles (virtual boy,, n64s, snes consoles) piles upon piles of games, and not just bullshit sports stuff.  There must have been 6 or seven huge boxes just overflowing with this stuff. $300 is what she charged the guy.  $300 fuck ing dollars for a virtual treasure trove, and I cried inside.

On the brighter side of it, apparently her brother buys out whole sale lots of this stuff from all over the country all of the time, so she should be getting more stuff within the next month or so.  She took our numbers (fiance and I) and said that we have dibs on the next lot of stuff, so here's hoping she wasn't fuck ing with us.

This is the second lead I made this weekend.  Another guy I spoke to yesterday was having an estate sale at his mom's house, (lots of old, vintagey stuff, pics coming later) and got to asking him about old electronics.  He told me he was having a clearout sale next month at his house, and he said he has all kinds of old games, systems, etc.  I gave him my number and he's supposed to text me some pictures in the next week or two.  With my luck, he was probably trolling for my number and is going to text me some dick pics.  Seriously though, he seemed like a nice guy, so hopefully it will work out in my favor.

I did have a few finds this weekend, but will update later with pics.

Went out for the first time in probably a month. Had a great day!

Found these for $0.50 apiece.

These I found at a yard sale around 1pm. I was on my way to get some food before stopping home and I saw a guy putting up a sign for a yard sale. Figured I'd stop. Dude had boxes upon boxes of DVDs (lots of TV seasons). I was thinking to myself "he seems like the kind of guy that would have some game stuff." A few seconds later he brings out a small tote of N64 games. I asked how much. 

$2 each.

Favorite find of the day was a Liquid Force Kiteboarding board for $30. Been putting aside money for a set-up, but still can't justify spending a grand.

Went to a local area's block sale by my house. No luck on video games really but got some decent deals on DVDs:

Shrek (fullscreen) 10 cents

Ladies in Lavender 10 cents (never saw this but saw it had Judi Dench in it so what the heck right?)

Titan AE $1

Lord of the Rings Trilogy: Extended Edition (blu-Ray) $10

also got two CDs for a quarter.

This morning was incredibly hot, so I wasn't expecting too many sales. Ended up with a couple of finds anyway.

[attachment=16575:IMG_4678.JPG]

This was from the first sale I went to (not counting a fake sale whose address didn't even seem to exist, grr). $5 for all three. The guy said one of the buttons on the 360 controller was broken, but it seems okay. There was a ton of gunk in the battery compartment so, who knows, maybe that had something to do with it.

[attachment=16574:IMG_4677.JPG]

Asking price for this lot was $2 a figure and another $2 for the game. Offered $20 for all of it, we settled on $25. 19 figures in total, plus the game and some cards/stickers. I asked about the portal but they said they didn't have the hookups for it.

Other than that, today was pretty dry. Saw a bunch of shovelware Wii games that I passed on, otherwise it was mostly non-gaming stuff.

Picked up a brand new Sata Asus DVD Burner (Its $20 on newegg) and a copy of Burnout 3 for PS2. Guy wanted $15 for the dvd burner and $3 for the PS2 game. Got him to take $15 for both

If it's a true 1st gen iPod, it's under recall from Apple because the battery may overheat. If you send it in, they will send you a new iPod Nano. I did with mine that was sitting in a drawer when I heard about the recall a few years ago and ended up with an 8gb 6th gen Nano as a replacement (which I gave to my dad). The website's still active, worth a shot to see if they still accept them: http://www.apple.com/support/ipodnano_replacement/
The site says it's only for 1st gen Nano's. Doesn't look like it would accept other models.

This morning was incredibly hot, so I wasn't expecting too many sales. Ended up with a couple of finds anyway.

IMG_4678.JPG
I think that star wars set DVD is worth a lot. If it has the bonus disc. I believe we have discussed it in this thread. You may want to check the upc on amazon, because I could be wrong. :)

I think that star wars set DVD is worth a lot. If it has the bonus disc. I believe we have discussed it in this thread. You may want to check the upc on amazon, because I could be wrong. :)
The widescreen is worth more than the full screen by about $20 on Amazon.

The widescreen is worth more than the full screen by about $20 on Amazon.
Thanks! I didn't know this. It's restricted on Amazon so I couldn't sell it there anyway, but looks like $20-25 on eBay.

I'm with you on that one, lol. I didn't even bother going to the yard-sales today, it's like 105 degrees, lol. I have a question, do most of you guys resell, what you guys find or do you actually collect the games, you pick up? I usually, sell or trade off the doubles and undesirable (for my collection) games. How about you guys?

I'm with you on that one, lol. I didn't even bother going to the yard-sales today, it's like 105 degrees, lol. I have a question, do most of you guys resell, what you guys find or do you actually collect the games, you pick up? I usually, sell or trade off the doubles and undesirable (for my collection) games. How about you guys?
I primarily resell, but I keep the stuff that I want(mainly the rare stuff).

I rarely resell games. I'd say I keep 95 out of 100 and trade in the other 5. Most of my collection is from garage sales and thrift stores. Basically anything before PS3/360 era is all from 2nd hand sales. I easily have 4,000 games at this point and I do need to start trimming the fat. Originally I planned on doing mods if I could find a dependable modder to partner with, but I haven't been looking very hard either. I have over twenty n64s right now, so it would be nice to do something with them other than just sell them.

I used to be an "e-tailer" on ebay for a number of years. I started with Anime VHS tapes and eventually became a top rated (platinum? or godl or something like that) power seller. Most of the stuff I sold, I bought from a distributor though. I still have 100 or so things listed on amazon, but I rarely make an effort to sell anymore. It's nice that they stay up there indefinitely now. They used to drop off either every 30 or 60 days.

I still would like to start a museum or charitable organization, but again, I'm too lazy. haha

Me? I keep most of what I find. I'm a collector, bordering on a hoarder. Now I've resold some of what I've bought, but generally it's only when my budget is tight and I need the cash. I buy games to play them. Trying to profit from yard sale purchases is a headache I don't need.

Didn't find too much today, but I'm glad I'm moving away from the new consoles into more familiar territory. 

20423667500_03b24a2cc1_k.jpg

Everything pictured here was $42 dollars. Highlight for me was the complete in box Harvest moon. The rest I will likely flip or trade. Left a few things behind today, but no regrets; the basement is starting to look a little scary. 

Sadly I missed our annual large flea market this year, but based on what I've seen thus far (lots of overpriced 'finds' in our local gaming group), I didn't miss much. 

I may be wrong, but I don't think the original theatrical release of Star Wars (if that is what everyone is talking about) was ever in a box set.  I only remember them being for individual sale.... otherwise I would have purchased them.

I posted a pic of the covers for the ones you should be looking for sometime in the past year.

I use to keep a lot of the older games (NES, PS1, SNES, etc.), but I rarely find games I don't already own now so probably like 98% gets resold. Once in a while I come across something cool though, but not often.

This week may have now been the worse week ever lol. First sale had Ti-83 plus for $2. Another sale I got a few tpbs for $1 each. That was it. Nothing else interesting game, electronic, toys, etc.

The person I bought the comics from had a big box full of them but nothing that seemed worth picking up (also not bagged or boarded). There were some random original Secret Wars but no first appearance of Venom. Had some early Batman animated comics but no #12 which is first appearance of Harley. etc.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the original theatrical release of Star Wars (if that is what everyone is talking about) was ever in a box set. I only remember them being for individual sale.... otherwise I would have purchased them.

I posted a pic of the covers for the ones you should be looking for sometime in the past year.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000IKHNT8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1439775494&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=Star+wars+tin+dvd&dpPl=1&dpID=51cW1JnhcZL&ref=plSrch

Sounds like both were limited release, doesn't sound as nice as the tin version.  I remember the stand alone version was only available at retail for a few months.

I have almost every version released up until the early 2000's when it really got ridiculous.  Went out and got the first DVD release which I think is what someone found earlier (still sealed).  Then the version we are discussing was released.  I was pissed that Lucas was doing this yet again but I knew it wouldn't be around for long because he released it begrudgingly.

Thanks!  I searched high and low and couldn't find anything.  I may just throw them up on ebay and see what happens.  They were in a huge bag of figures I got from a sale that I only paid $5 for.

Odyssey 2 stuff, $5. It works.

PS4 games were $2 each. 20" 1080p Samsung monitor was $10, need to buy a power cable for it.

2zOs0oZ.jpg

XGqBHc0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back