The Official 2016 Yard Sale Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing special but finally had the first sale of the year I bought something at today. Picked up 4 Wii Games for $20. Titles were as follows:

Pikmin
Wii Sports
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Kart Wii

All are in great shape and will be a nice credit increase towards some of my preorders at GS.

Stopped by a yard sale and was surprised that they had a Pioneer CLD-1070 Laserdisc player. The thing was beat up to hell though, lots of cosmetic damage and some damage on the power cord. Would have taken the gamble on it for $10 if I didn't already have my own laserdisc player. Kinda wish I got it just to see if it may have worked though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love laserdiscs. They take up a lot of space though. I'm kinda pissed that I missed an Edward Scissorhands on clearance at my HPB last week. I think it was marked down to $2. I was watching it for months and I saw a guy with it in the checkout line. TBH I don't know if my player is working, I never got around to testing it.

Went to one sale that advertised Xbox games.

Went there and didnt have any Xbox Games, they had Wii and PC Stuff though

Got Endless Ocean, Pinball Hall of Fame, Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, and Big Brain Academy all were complete except Wii Sports

I also got cib PC Games, Civilization III Complete, Flight Simulator X, and Rollercoaster Tycoon 2. Civ III was sealed. Total was $15

I haven't gotten around to posting in about a year, so I'll just mention my laserdisc story now.

Last fall there was someone advertising a laserdisc player, the sale started on a Wednesday and it was the next city over.  Each day the advertisement still said laserdisc player but I figured it was gone the first day.  Saturday rolls around and I have a chance to hit sales, I put the place on my list but decide to go later since it was a half hour away.  I roll up at about 10:00 and they say it sold at about 8:30 that morning.  I was surprised it lasted that long.  They were also surprised; it came with 130 movies   :wall: .  The price?  $30 for everything.

They used to own a video store.  I was able to snare 10 discs they missed that were mixed in with records for $5.

Yard sale season has started in Baltimore and I was able to hit up about half-a-dozen sales in my neighborhood this past Saturday. The only game I saw was a Just Dance game for Wii, but I managed to snag some baby toys, wine glasses, and a denim vest. At this point, I'm trying to go out with lowered expectations, since the competition for games is pretty fierce. I'm also thinking I need to start avoiding the craigslist sales and exploring the neighborhoods I don't see many sales for. I imagine they've got to be going on, but people just aren't advertising on the internet. Hopefully that means there are less folks looking for games there.

I guess my season has officially begun. :)

Picked up this lot for $20. Bought it for the Capcom v SNK2 and for the smoke dualshock. Two other people were interested, so I offered $15, but settled on their original $20 asking price.

:bouncy:

more to come...

The big city wide sale for Cuba, MO is coming up this weekend. Usually I have some pretty awesome finds like mutant league hockey last year. I'm debating on taking Friday off though to hit the friday sales.

Picked up some more Wii stuff this weekend. Details to follow

Saw a Wii Bundle for $120, cherry picked SSMB, Wii Sports Resort, Wiiplay CIB with nunchuck and wiimote, FF Crystal Chronicles Echoes of Time for $25

I also picked up Need for Speed The Run for $2 

Some random flea market finds:

Stress ball and Beetlejuice BK kids meal toy were .20 each. I've been looking for the Beetlejuice toy for a while - it was the last I needed to complete the set. Elva Hsiao double live CD was .50. No clue who she is, but I'll try it. Run DMC cd was $2. Also picked up "Inside Linda Lovelace" book for .25. [attachment=21296:image.jpeg]

Was a really really rainy, early Saturday morning. It cleared up though. I went out late because of the rain. I ended up getting a Wii system with a few peripherals and crappy games for $5. I kept a copy of Wii Sports Resort and flipped the rest to GameStop for $35 in trade. Also got a copy of Minecraft for the 360 for $2.

I've only found one yard sale so far this season. This weather can fuck off already...

cuZhOaf.jpg

I dunno how many of you guys are comic fans, but I fucking scored today. Goddamn, I'm so happy!!

Will fill you guys in later. But it involves a whole lot of Teen Titans and Deathstroke's first appearance :D

I dunno how many of you guys are comic fans, but I fucking scored today. Goddamn, I'm so happy!!

Will fill you guys in later. But it involves a whole lot of Teen Titans and Deathstroke's first appearance :D
I still do not have teen titans vol2 #2. But I got 3 copies of the 1st deadpool the past 4 years at garage sales and HPB, so those make up for it. Looking forward to the pics!

Had a comic score as well this weekend. Spider-Man first appearance of Black Cat. 25 cents. Has a bit of wear in one corner, but for that price it's a win.

Okay-poke. Here's a few pictures... got so much stuff... not sure how to show it. I got this huge lot for #30... this isn't even close to all of it.

Here are the 3 most important in the score :D

1wvbl.jpg

Issue #1 has a lot of age-wear, but no major rips and is in perfectly readable condition.

#2 on the left is in awesome condition and #2 on the right has wear and small rip on bottom right of the cover.

Here's a spread of all The New (Tales of) Teen Titan (vol. 1) I got in the pick up.

2vjr81i.jpg

This is only like 1/4 of the stuff I got from the lot. I got hundreds more comics across the The New Teen Titans (vol. 2), Teen Titans 2003-2011 (vol. 3) and Teen Titans Go series, as well as several doubles and some triples in The New Teen Titans (vol. 1).

I already own Teen Titans (vol. 3) and I don't care for the Teen Titans Go comics, so I'm gonna trade those.

If anyone's interested in a list of stuff I got, I'll post it.

I snagged this lot on my way to a flea market yesterday for $54 (not pictured: Seafarers of Catan and a Full Metal Alchemist art book for my wife). Unfortunately some competition got there first and snagged the stuff I would have a really really liked to grab (Advance Wars, Tactics Ogre GBA, and Gradius Galaxies for GBA), but he passed on all of the Sega and Atari stuff. Got it home and all the systems work, so definitely worth the time and money. Nothing in there I'm super duper excited to play, but I have some friends that have been looking for a Sega CD and a Saturn, so if nothing else I'll be getting some good karma.

Nice! That one of the left is probably VF (conservatively) based on the cover. Realistically most people would say that is NM. Great looking book!

Storytime: There was another collector in my area and he only deals with graded books. I met him at his garage sale and I ended up being invited back to look at his extra books. (A couple years ago) I bought about 10 copies of Secret Wars 8 (1st alien costume/venom) for 50 cents each in the same or slightly better condition as that book because they weren't good enough for him to send in. I get that people only want the best of the best, but to act like a VF book is undesirable is crazy. It got to a point where I couldn't tell which ones he didn't want and I just said. Pull the ones that would be 50 cents each. I'll take all of them. lol

My best comics finds summary post:
Bought these from a comic store owner. 25 cents each. 1st appearance of moon knight and 1st black panther.

564e9f3d.jpg

Another post.

That is it for games, but these are by far my favorite purchases. After some slick negotiating I paid $32 for everything. I basically cherry picked her best books since she didn't want to give me a good deal on all of them.

Each comic pictured is basically worth $25 or more (actual resale value -though I am not selling them-).

Wolverine mini series 1-4 all in VF/NM

f2e2a1f0.jpg

The Witching Hour #1 in VF/NM (probably a $100 book) and Wonder Woman books.

4af05c90.jpg

Nick Fury agent of Shield 1-3 by my favorite artist JIM STERANKO

7275532b.jpg

Captain America 100 (which is basically Captain America number 1 for the Silver age) and a couple of Avengers. Number 11 is an early Spider-man crossover.

3fbdc78d.jpg

I had to go back to 2011 to find these. That year was crazy for everyone. I think a lot of us had big years that year. That was when SaraAB, schultzed, spooge, and some of the others still posted.

EDIT: sorry mikeTV, it took me a long time to write this. I didn't intentionally post right after you.

No prob dude! It's interesting seeing the comic finds. They're not really my thing, though I do pick up the occasional TPB when I find them for cheap. I'm always a little tempted to pick up comics to see if I can't turn them into some games, but I try not to get greedy since there are folks out there that enjoy them more than I do.

[lots of good shit]

I had to go back to 2011 to find these. That year was crazy for everyone. I think a lot of us had big years that year. That was when SaraAB, schultzed, spooge, and some of the others still posted.
Damn, some really nice stuff there. That 1st Moon Knight is worth bank. Did you keep it? I also dig the Wonder Woman stuff.

I'm pretty much exclusively DC in my comic collecting. I do love Marvel, as well, but I don't have much of a budget for comics... it mostly goes to games and figures. My favorite character in all media is Raven, though. So I couldn't be happier with the Teen Titans set. I figure my Deathstroke that's in nice condition should be worth around 150.

Damn, some really nice stuff there. That 1st Moon Knight is worth bank. Did you keep it? I also dig the Wonder Woman stuff.

I'm pretty much exclusively DC in my comic collecting. I do love Marvel, as well, but I don't have much of a budget for comics... it mostly goes to games and figures. My favorite character in all media is Raven, though. So I couldn't be happier with the Teen Titans set. I figure my Deathstroke that's in nice condition should be worth around 150.
I kept all of them. I rarely sell my comics unless I know it is something that is selling for an inflated value. I have 65 long boxes last time I counted/approximated.

Yeah that moon knight skyrocketed recently, same with the TT #2 that you bought. For the longest time they were about $25 books. I can't believe how much they went up and I am kicking myself for not picking up that 1st deathstroke for $5 at a con years ago b/c I didn't want to pay that much. :wall:

I kept all of them. I rarely sell my comics unless I know it is something that is selling for an inflated value. I have 65 long boxes last time I counted/approximated.

Yeah that moon knight skyrocketed recently, same with the TT #2 that you bought. For the longest time they were about $25 books. I can't believe how much they went up and I am kicking myself for not picking up that 1st deathstroke for $5 at a con years ago b/c I didn't want to pay that much. :wall:
65 long boxes... that's nuts.

65 long boxes... that's nuts.
I'm a hoarder. I'll admit it. I've been making a conscious effort to get rid of stuff and buy significantly less the past 3 years though. I have enough items to fill multiple storefronts. I've also been buying selling online for 20 years, so I have a lot of new, old stock.

I should clarify. I am not a hoarder in the sense that I do not want to sell my stuff. I'm more the type that wants to get the most I can for it. I also realize that some of my stuff isn't worth paying for a storage space, so I just have it boxed up and on shelves until I get around to selling it (or in some cases I have donated because it isn't worth the time effort to sell it). I would like to cut down my comic collection, but I can't get to most of it. I tend to buy multiples of keys when I see them cheap, so I may have 20 copies of the same book.

Originally I intended to buy a bigger condo, but this one was so cheap, I made an offer the day it went on the market. I got a great deal on it and I will probably make $22,000-$28,000 when I sell it. (I paid $38,000 and the current zestimate is $80,000, so $60,000 seems like a decent valuation based on comps in the area, especially since there are 8 units with the exact layout nearby) The downside is I live in a 1 bedroom instead of a 3 bedroom with a finished basement that would allow me to sort stuff.

TL;DR I am a hoarder because C.R.E.A.M.

How often do you guys find sales am that open at 7 or 7:30? I have to work at 8 and I'm considering going to a neighborhood sale near where I work

HA its about that time where some of you guys post better finds in 1 day then Ill get all summer! I think I need to move somewhere else!

Yard sale season has started in Baltimore and I was able to hit up about half-a-dozen sales in my neighborhood this past Saturday. The only game I saw was a Just Dance game for Wii, but I managed to snag some baby toys, wine glasses, and a denim vest. At this point, I'm trying to go out with lowered expectations, since the competition for games is pretty fierce. I'm also thinking I need to start avoiding the craigslist sales and exploring the neighborhoods I don't see many sales for. I imagine they've got to be going on, but people just aren't advertising on the internet. Hopefully that means there are less folks looking for games there.
Hi. Im from Rockville, MD. I know it's kinda far, but good to hear from a local. I been going less due to not finding much. I tried Savers, Goodwill, and sometimes yard sales. Seems like driving around and see if yard sales nearby.

I'm a hoarder. I'll admit it. I've been making a conscious effort to get rid of stuff and buy significantly less the past 3 years though. I have enough items to fill multiple storefronts. I've also been buying selling online for 20 years, so I have a lot of new, old stock.

I should clarify. I am not a hoarder in the sense that I do not want to sell my stuff. I'm more the type that wants to get the most I can for it. I also realize that some of my stuff isn't worth paying for a storage space, so I just have it boxed up and on shelves until I get around to selling it (or in some cases I have donated because it isn't worth the time effort to sell it). I would like to cut down my comic collection, but I can't get to most of it. I tend to buy multiples of keys when I see them cheap, so I may have 20 copies of the same book.

Originally I intended to buy a bigger condo, but this one was so cheap, I made an offer the day it went on the market. I got a great deal on it and I will probably make $22,000-$28,000 when I sell it. (I paid $38,000 and the current zestimate is $80,000, so $60,000 seems like a decent valuation based on comps in the area, especially since there are 8 units with the exact layout nearby) The downside is I live in a 1 bedroom instead of a 3 bedroom with a finished basement that would allow me to sort stuff.

TL;DR I am a hoarder because C.R.E.A.M.
What area do you live in? $80000 seems cheap comparing to Dc/MD/VA area. Anyway, I got some game guides sealed and not sure what its worth or if either bother to sell vs donate. I got castlevania lord of shadow, Assassin Creed 2 CE, AC Revelations CE, Disney Mickey CE, Final Fantasy 13-2 CE, Resident Evil 6, etc that I can think of. would it be better to donate since books are heavy? I dont sell/ship much.

the assassin creed guides seem to be worth about $30- $40 on eBay sealed and from the listings shipping seems to cost about $5 one was $10 to ship. if possible sell them local so you don't need to ship them.

What area do you live in? $80000 seems cheap comparing to Dc/MD/VA area. Anyway, I got some game guides sealed and not sure what its worth or if either bother to sell vs donate. I got castlevania lord of shadow, Assassin Creed 2 CE, AC Revelations CE, Disney Mickey CE, Final Fantasy 13-2 CE, Resident Evil 6, etc that I can think of. would it be better to donate since books are heavy? I dont sell/ship much.
I live in the Chicago suburbs. This is a 1 bedroom condo. I paid $38,000 (the lowest any of them has ever sold for). It sold for $104,000 at some point. I was watching the market for these (I eventually wanted to rent this one out, but I found out at the closing that it couldn't be rented-But for the price I wouldn't walk on the deal). I'm in the process of trying to change the bylaws. I could easily get $900-$1,000 a month for it in this area and I would probably rent a place in Chicago for less. People want to live in the burbs because of the school districts. Being a 1 bedroom makes it less marketable though.

I would sell CE guides on ebay or amazon if you do not want them. You can send them media mail, so depending on weight they cost $4 or $5 to ship. What is nice about amazon is that it will list the shipping options for you. Usually the softcovers don't hold as much value, but there are always some surprises.

I tend to look up items on amazon and ebay just to see if there is a price discrepancy between the sites.

My rule is if an item sells for $5 or less, I do not list it online. I will sell them locally or donate.

As far as guides go, you may want to see if any local CAGs want to trade. I've bought some CE guides from the local guys for $2-$3 each just because I couldn't get them when they pennied.

More spots than I can possibly check in one run tomorrow; I wonder if I'll encounter the guy who thinks I'm taking all his Genesis games again, lol.

Last edited:
More spots than I can possibly check in one run tomorrow; I wonder if I'll encounter the guy who thinks I'm taking all his Genesis games again, lol.
Is this in the city/burbs? Tallish guy, blonde hair, glasses?

Also, any folks here in the Alexandria area? I'm down there this weekend for a wedding and want to go out tomorrow, but don't want to step on anyone's toes.

Hi. Im from Rockville, MD. I know it's kinda far, but good to hear from a local. I been going less due to not finding much. I tried Savers, Goodwill, and sometimes yard sales. Seems like driving around and see if yard sales nearby.
Im in Pasadena, MD. I've had no luck in thrift stores. Flea Market around here produces alittle if im there as soon as they set up, but a ton of competition. At least the hunt is fun.

No good gaming finds garage saleing but did find a Sting pencil box from the NWO era, and a 6 inch stuffed Sting toy from NWO, total was $2. Oh and I also got Kiki's Delivery Service for $1

Today was decent. Bought a vintage Radio Shack TRS-80 Microcomputer for just $5. Might go back in a little bit to see if they had the cassette player for it.

ObiFP6i.jpg

Also bought this neat HP 48GXcalculator for $20. Can't believe how much it's worth online...

CIaEpmv.jpg

Also someone gave me this Windows 7 Professional disc for free. Would it be illegal to sell it?

yTgmSNn.jpg

Is this in the city/burbs? Tallish guy, blonde hair, glasses?

Also, any folks here in the Alexandria area? I'm down there this weekend for a wedding and want to go out tomorrow, but don't want to step on anyone's toes.
Nah, dark-haired guy, just a tad on the defensive side. I'm almost certain I've crossed paths with one or two CAGs over the years but never confirmed anything-- I'm northeast of Baltimore and south of Bel Air, generally a no man's land for the local collector scene. Mostly soccer moms and back roads and those damnable Towson U hipster kids :boxing: Territory's been good to me over the years, though much digging is always required.

Had more winners than losers today, though the mix was eclectic to say the least:

Gameboy Teal system (nice screen)

Pokemon Yellow

Pokemon Silver (dead battery)

4 other random kids games

$15

Leapster 2 system with about a dozen games, no charger - $3

Colecovision Flashback - $1

Rammstein - Lichtspielhaus - $2

Klimt (Hardcover), Gillis Neret - $1

These last two finds were fun, the DVD was off the back of a pick-up truck from a guy who drove up to the yard sale I was at; apparently en route to a bulk liquidation contact for DVDs but he stopped to offer the lady a leaf-blower trade for her picture frame (for the lulz, surely?). I also offered him a $1 on his Fist of the North Star movie, but that didn't fly-- as he sensed that the mysteries of the East were worth at least a $20 bill. Well, maybe $10 according to Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Fist-North-Star-Akira-Kamiya/dp/6305131082/

Klimt was provided to us by a nice middle-aged red-haired lady with an accent from the British Isles, literally 50% of the books available at the sale and buried under some glassware and knick-knacks-- standard yard sale capriciousness of putting the best stuff on the bottom. Left her my number for future tea time (by that I mean her secret cache of video games, of course).

Video game askers were starting to get ahead of me by 9 AM; passed on some original xbox kids titles and some "unpriced" ps3 titles (Deadpool and Puss in Boots)-- I've been burned on those before so I wasn't going to go up to $5 each or more. Towards the afternoon I took a break and came back with a vengeance, snagging up an Eternal Darkness disc-only and a decent spread of PS2 titles (SMT: Nocturne, FF12, Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2, Shadow of the Colossus) for $22 under the noses of some utterly clueless barcode scanners. Always a good feeling, though in my arrogance I might have keyed them in on a Monster Rancher 4 in need of a military grade resurface... Or perhaps they weren't resellers at all but an illusion brought about by my long walks in the hot sun   :whistle2:k

Had more winners than losers today, though the mix was eclectic to say the least:

Rammstein - Lichtspielhaus - $2

These last two finds were fun, the DVD was off the back of a pick-up truck from a guy who drove up to the yard sale I was at; apparently en route to a bulk liquidation contact for DVDs but he stopped to offer the lady a leaf-blower trade for her picture frame (for the lulz, surely?). I also offered him a $1 on his Fist of the North Star movie, but that didn't fly-- as he sensed that the mysteries of the East were worth at least a $20 bill. Well, maybe $10 according to Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Fist-North-Star-Akira-Kamiya/dp/6305131082/
It takes some stones to sell stuff at someone else's garage sale. I love running into people like that, it makes the day interesting!

There was almost no video game stuff at the two sales I visited; just some old computers. One of them looked fairly nice if it they have Win XP stickers and single core processors I ain't biting. Thinking about a massive MIDI keyboard for $20 but carting it home without a car would be... a slight issue.

Finally had a decent day yesterday. Here is what I was able to pick up...

NCAA Basketball 2010 on PS3 (Complete) - $2
Silent Hill 2 (also had Tekken 1 in the case) - $2
Autographed George Brett Baseball - $15
KC Royals On Field Authentic Nu Era Fitted Hat (in my size!) - $5
Breaking Bad Jesse Pinkman Figure (NiB) - $4
Autographed Daniel Stern photo from set of "Rookie of the Year" - $4

Nice way to get a good year rolling!

Not a whole lot yesterday. I did manage to get some goodies though. 

AC: Wild World - $5

AssCreed:Black Flag (PS3), Wii Chuck, Wii Wireless Chuck, iPod Nano 2GB - $6

After some fiddling, the iPod works but the battery is 100% dead and does not hold a charge. Will be getting rid of it sooner rather than later.

Had a decent day yesterday

Went to a church rummage sale and scored Betrayal at Krondor and Ultimate Sim CIB for $5

I went to one other sale, guy had listed a bunch of Wii/DS/PS3 games. Most of it was common stuff. He had a black 2nd generation Wii for $60 and a few accessories. I cherry picked a few games, all of them were $2, got everything for $25

Wii games

-Wii Sports Resort/Wii Sports 2 pack

-Lego Star Wars Complete (disc only)

-Wii Sports (disc only)

-Resident Evil Archives (disc only)

-Just Dance Greatest Hits

-Lego Batman 2 with Green Latern Emerald Knights movie

-Super Mario History (from 25th anniv set, someone bought the other piece)

PS3 Games

-Lego Movie

-Lego Marvel

-Lego Star Wars Complete

-Burnout Paradise

DS

-Peggle DS 

-Challenge Me 2

-Mahjongg Mysteries 

Also got a Wii blaster, a Black Wii Classic Controller, and a free copy of 18 Wheeler Truck for GC

Most of his Wiimotes were in terrible shape and the rest of the DS games were shovelware

Not a whole lot yesterday. I did manage to get some goodies though.

AC: Wild World - $5

AssCreed:Black Flag (PS3), Wii Chuck, Wii Wireless Chuck, iPod Nano 2GB - $6

After some fiddling, the iPod works but the battery is 100% dead and does not hold a charge. Will be getting rid of it sooner rather than later.
Is that the model of nano with the bad battery? 1st gen? Apple will replace it for free

https://www.apple.com/support/ipodnano_replacement/

Well, I did all right this weekend. No games, but a bunch of controllers from various yard sales.

Got:

Ace Combat 5 Flight Stick 2 (w/ giant patch & original box) $3

PS3 Guitar Hero World Tour Bundle complete $5

Logitech G25 Racing Wheel $20

Garmin Oregon 550t $20

Boss GT-10 Pedal $25

2x Logitech G13  $5 each

Thule 881 NIB $15

and three Warcraft paperback novels $1 (each is worth at least $15)

I wish I had an extra $350 on me yesterday. Guy had a Humminbird 998c complete. Could have sold it for $4-500 more.

So I was down in Alexandria, VA for a wedding my wife was in so I got to go out yard saling while she had to go get ready. It was a pretty good, if expensive, morning. I'll skip to the good part.

I got all of this for $280 from a woman who was cleaning out her son's old gaming stuff. I first offered her $120, all I had on me, but she was savvy enough to know she could get more. I had to make a run to the ATM, but I think it was well worth it for everything there. By the way, she has a bunch of old GI Joe, slot car, and probably some more games I missed left so if anyone is in the area I can give you the street name so you can keep an eye out.

Beyond that, I scored the games below over the course of the day $16. I'll mainly be using these to trade to Gamestop to contribute to my PS4 fund.

And as far as non-gaming finds go, I got this Darkwing Duck bank, bag of weird buttons, and a vintage Halloween noisemaker for $6 total. Really happy about DWD and the noisemaker, and the buttons will make good presents for my friends into such things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back