The Official 2016 Yard Sale Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing these deals makes me slightly nostalgic for the hunt. I haven't posted here much lately because in mid January I decided to sell off 80% of my collection. Keeping the good stuff but ultimately decided I wanted to buy a house and realized there's just no way I would ever play 80% of these. I've sold about 12,000 worth so far and just had my home inspection today for the house I'm buying. Ultimately pretty happy with the decision and to ease the pain I used some of the funds to buy a high end gaming PC so I can still emulate pretty much anything I sold if the urge strikes. Not the same but close enough when I still have my favorites. (Keeping around 600 games and 19 systems so not like I'm going down to nothing, lol)

Don't want to just start buying it back but then again, I do need to furnish a house now... so maybe I will still get out some this year in the next month or two.

Seeing these deals makes me slightly nostalgic for the hunt. I haven't posted here much lately because in mid January I decided to sell off 80% of my collection. Keeping the good stuff but ultimately decided I wanted to buy a house and realized there's just no way I would ever play 80% of these. I've sold about 12,000 worth so far and just had my home inspection today for the house I'm buying. Ultimately pretty happy with the decision and to ease the pain I used some of the funds to buy a high end gaming PC so I can still emulate pretty much anything I sold if the urge strikes. Not the same but close enough when I still have my favorites. (Keeping around 600 games and 19 systems so not like I'm going down to nothing, lol)

Don't want to just start buying it back but then again, I do need to furnish a house now... so maybe I will still get out some this year in the next month or two.
Was that your stuff at HPB? I saw an uncharted 2 autographed guide and stuff that a "gamer" would sell.

We'll see, may or may not get back in in the future. Didn't sell to hpb though, online only to get value. Mostly on Nintendoage for around 80‰ of value. Still have a ton of stuff to sell

I hear you on the whole house thing. I was "fortunate" enough before buying that a relative decided to give up their part of an inheritance, so my wife and I were able to get a nice down payment together. I've been able to maintain my collection (doesn't sound as huge as yours, though) and make a nice little lair for myself.

Def let us know when you're doing another round of selling as I don't really spend a lot of time on Nintendoage. I'm at the point where there's only a few games for each Nintendo system I'm really looking for, but they're pricier ones so that 20% off means a lot.

Most of my best Nintendo stuff has sold but I still have lots of good things for many systems, lots of Sega/Playstation stuff and such. You can view my thread at: http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=157003 if anyone is interested I guess. Also have tons of GB/GBA/PSP/DS/Atari/Odyssey/Colecovision stuff I haven't listed yet I plan to sell.

I've tried to price things fairly, even before the 15% discount I'm running now. I'm definitely not going to give the stuff away, I need the money, but at the same time the community has been great to me over the years and I wanted to be fair to it and didn't want to be part of driving prices even higher.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started cleaning out a bit of my collection too. My mother is talking about maybe moving/selling the house so I've been trying to slowly start working my way through all the stuff I've stored in my old bedroom. Its one of those things where I don't want to keep them in the basement of my new place and I don't feel like filling up the entire extra bedroom with stuff I've never played and never will play. (also the discussion of disc rot a few months ago made me decide to start downsizing too)

Purged pretty much all of my GameCube, Wii. DS, PS2, PS3, 360 and big box PC/Amiga games. I kept like 10 total out of those. Cleared like $6000 so far with probably another few thousand still listed waiting to sell.

Next is regular XBox, GBA, maybe PS1.

The only things I think I'm going to definitely keep is my NES, SNES, N64 collection along with some of the weird stuff like the Zelda CD-i games.

I also need to go through all the doubles of stuff I have. Like in my parents house there is something along the lines of 10 boxed NES systems. Some are different version, but I really only need to keep like 1 or 2 complete different ones.

On the topic of yardsales - I'm going to go again this year, but it is just very hard to find any retro games I don't already own. Last year I can only remember getting Biker Mice From Mars for SNES and the year before was Boogerman for the SNES.

Just moved 5 months ago myself.  Realized how much stuff I had when I needed to move it all.  For example, last I checked I had (4) 18 gallon totes full of NES carts.  Wanting to do a combination of trade-in and sales.  Would like to be rid of at least 50% of what I have in two months.  It is currently taking up a two car garage that I need to use.

As far as garage sales, I MIGHT find one decent game a year now that I don't have.  

I've hit that point where there's not much I need, but I do still enjoy going out. I love finding games, but I've also started to look for vintage holiday decorations (my parents were big into them). Plus, I love find awful, ugly things to bring home and "gift" to my friends.

I've hit that point where there's not much I need, but I do still enjoy going out. I love finding games, but I've also started to look for vintage holiday decorations (my parents were big into them). Plus, I love find awful, ugly things to bring home and "gift" to my friends.
My interests change every few years, now looking to get rid of stuff I lost interest in like my card collection. It seems the only people that buy and sell cards now are dealers; very few people actually in the hobby.

I have also wanted to get some vintage christmas lights but they're pretty hot right now. Would love to find some bubble lights. Picked up an aluminum Christmas tree CIB for my mom 3 years ago for $50, she had wanted one for years.

I had a large amount of stuff to photograph and post from last year but I lost track of most of it during the move. Maybe I'll dig up some of the highlights for a megapost.

Man smell that reseller b.s.. I don't have room for games. Crys... I have every game I could want crys... But I'm addicted to the hunt. Crys...

My interests change every few years, now looking to get rid of stuff I lost interest in like my card collection. It seems the only people that buy and sell cards now are dealers; very few people actually in the hobby.

I have also wanted to get some vintage christmas lights but they're pretty hot right now. Would love to find some bubble lights. Picked up an aluminum Christmas tree CIB for my mom 3 years ago for $50, she had wanted one for years.

I had a large amount of stuff to photograph and post from last year but I lost track of most of it during the move. Maybe I'll dig up some of the highlights for a megapost.
I have some vintage xmas stuff. Ironically I got it at an auction with a large sports card lot about 5 years ago. I pulled a Jerry Rice RC that looks authentic from the lot, but I also kept the liquid xmas lights. I think I did finally caved and toss the box b/c is was so badly damaged, but I will have to check my parents garage.

AS far as old finds go, I just photographed some stuff yesterday from last year...I also never did my week of epic finds. I should really go through some of these pics.

God damn, so a yard sale for tomorrow that's ~45 minutes away has a picture of some SNES games. In the pic; boxed Kirby Super Star, boxed Chrono Trigger, and boxed Wolfenstein 3D. I want to head out, but hate playing the early bird game. Someone is always there before me.

If you're looking to furnish a home, and don't care if the stuff is brand new, check out your local auction houses or even storage auctions. By me, there are only a few guys at the storage auctions that like doing furniture and if they aren't there the furniture goes cheap. Or, if you see something you like you can always ask if they're willing to sell.

Well...1st real day of sales for me. Chester the Molester showed up a few minutes after me at the first sale and tried to buy the videogames from under me. It was a day of battles and bounties.  Pics and story after I take a nap (I only slept from 12 AM until 2:30 AM last night and I am ready to pass out).

EDIT: Just woke up. Too dark to take pics. Tomorrow I will post!

Nothing major as I'm recovering from surgery but going stir crazy. Got out and found pokepark 1 and Mario Galaxy for $7 for the pair. Figure I'll flip galaxy to GS and put pokepark on eBay or here.

NazruTph.jpg

Well...1st real day of sales for me. Chester the Molester showed up a few minutes after me at the first sale and tried to buy the videogames from under me. It was a day of battles and bounties. Pics and story after I take a nap (I only slept from 12 AM until 2:30 AM last night and I am ready to pass out).

EDIT: Just woke up. Too dark to take pics. Tomorrow I will post!
Slowdive I'm more interested in a pic of Chester at this point. Years of hearing about your nemesis lol.

OT, how are y'all posting images? Loading straight from my phone says they exceed the file size.

Mike, awesome finds man! Once in a lifetime right there.

Accidentally found this sale while going to another. Paid $20. Everything is complete and the 3DS looks great no scratches.
[attachment=21615:IMG_20160423_123017.jpg]

Here's most of my finds today. I don't know yet if the Game Boy Micro works. One of the buttons is a little stuck, hopefully that's fixable. Still a great deal though.

Also got these vintage Nikon cameras for $30. Not pictured is an extra Nikon lens. Along with that some Oakley Half Wire sunglasses for $15.

Definitely sticking with wealthy neighborhoods for the rest of the season.

5yd1xNU.jpg

EUzfNm1.jpg

eV7tVqD.jpg

Also got these vintage Nikon cameras for $30. Not pictures is an extra Nikon lens. Along with that some Oakley Half Wire sunglasses for $15.
Picked up a vintage camera today myself. A Voitlander Vitomatic I, which is from about 1958 for $8. They had an old Minolta for $10 but I passed.

Bonus: I opened it while checking it out and it still had a roll of film i it. Hopefully it will develop.

Suddenly found a plethora of (common) game stuff today after basically striking out for 2 weeks.

I ended up with

9 Wii games - $5

Wii Sports Resort, Harvest Moon NGC, Mario and Sonic at Olympics - $6

Wii with Hasbro Game Night and Wii Sports - $5

Playstation 2 Fat w/ Hard drive and extra peripherals - $4

Original XBox with extra peripherals - $5

Pokemon Black 1 - $5

Burnout Revenge 360 - $1

Diablo 360, Disc only Black Ops 2 360, Black Ops 1 - $6

From Friday

3 Complete Genesis Games (Sonic 2, Jurassic Park) - $6

Super Mario World Advance - $1

My area is such a hot bed for people buying games, it gets worse every year.  I was surprised to find so many game stuff today and hope that this continues into next week. 

As promised, some finds and a story:

I know some of you collect vintage stuff as well. Here is some vintage stuff I bought at an estate sale.

$2.50 total. Westinghouse Sun Lamp with box. I bought it just for the box, but I believe it is brand new, It is a nice dark red bulb. 3 tools on the right are craftsman, the one on the left is a Stanley Yankee #41 push drill. It has all 8 bits too!

Bought this stuff at a neighborhood sale. At some of the houses I was told I was the 2nd or 3rd to ask about video games, so if there was anything Chester or one of my other competitors beat me to it. I did see Chester there, but I got a great lot earlier in the morning, so I wasn't annoyed to see him.

$8 total. Space Jam electronic game CIB. Incredibles Disney store exclusive? action figure (seems to have some value). Pac Man and Hangman handheld games, mario keychain, Rainforest Cafe trade pin, and Harry potter booster pack.

Storytime: I started off my morning at a sale that wasn't supposed to start before 9. I happened to see they posted they opened early on FB, so I got there around 8:15. Guy asked me what I was looking for and I said video games. He had a box out with xbox, GC, and a few n64 games. I asked about systems and if he had any other games. He went inside for a few minutes and came out with a rubbermaid. We start sifting through it and I see something out of the corner of my eye. It is Chester and he had spotted me. He got right next to me and asked about something on the table. He then said "how about the games, how much for those?" I said "I'm taking them." And he responded "Then buy them or get out of the way!" I then turn to the guy having the sale and say "Did you hear that? That wasn't very nice of him to say. How much are you looking to get for the games?"

Guy: I'm not sure, make an offer.

Me: I'm not good at this...What do you think is fair?

Guy: Well we have to do the dance (jokingly)

Me: How about $40 for everything?

Guy: A buck forty? (meaning $140)

Me: no, $40

Guy: Nah I know what this stuff is worth. I couldn't take less than $100.

Me: hmm, let me look these over (meanwhile Chester is trying to grab some of the games from the pile. I then eliminate most of the junk xbox and GC games. And say I do not want these if you want to look at them-to Chester)

Guy: How many games do you have there?

Me: about 25. How about $50 for this pile?

Guy: SOLD!

In my haste I did leave a GC SW Rogue Squadron 3 in the box, so I am mad at myself for missing it. I grabbed the demo disk on accident. Anyway, here is my $50 haul:

So I went back to this sale this morning hoping the SW game was still there. Unfortunately someone had bought it and some of the other games. As I am walking up to the sale who do I see? That's right, Chester standing there circling back (as I figured out last year. He does come back later after he tries to beat me to sales for games to buy the other stuff he looks for) I noticed the game box was there, but SW was gone. After a while I talked to the guy some more and paid $2 for the CDs. He also gave me The brand new 360 power adapter and cable for free.

:wave:

more to come...

Sounds like an epic day. Nice find on the Prince CDs.

The sales are starting up here, hoping to get out next Saturday and shop.

"Missouri is #1 flyover state" - Jabroni Times

Got abunch of $1 PS2 games. Found the Playstation and games for $15. Guy dropped pretty quickly on the price he probably knew the console didn't work. System had Triple play in it so I didn't check it's case to my surprise God Bless The Ring was in it. [attachment=21616:IMG_20160424_072411.jpg]

Yesterday was nearly a bust. Drove a bit in the morning to get to side-by-side town wide sales. About to leave the 2nd town and head home I stopped at one last garage sale. Pulled up to the driveway and the sign said "Everything free." So, I walked up the long driveway to only see a plastic folding table with an open umbrella on top of it. I figured everything free was gone. Noticing the front door was open, I walked up to see if that was the case. Turns out, the guy's father had passed away and he was looking to get the house emptied out. Ended up paying $5 to take as much as I wanted.

Got a pot belly stove, an oil heater, a G. Armani figure, a Legends statue, 2 flatware sets, several books, and some other things.

I paid more than the $5 because it was worth it to me. I was hesitant to take everything I wanted as I didn't want to be greedy with their generosity (one guy filled a 6" truck bed, another guy got an HP PC that was less than a year old...). Seeing how other people handled it after I'd been there for a little while, I realized I should have grabbed as much as I could have! Could have been legendary, instead it just saved a crummy day.

So I was down in Alexandria, VA for a wedding my wife was in so I got to go out yard saling while she had to go get ready. It was a pretty good, if expensive, morning. I'll skip to the good part.

I got all of this for $280 from a woman who was cleaning out her son's old gaming stuff. I first offered her $120, all I had on me, but she was savvy enough to know she could get more. I had to make a run to the ATM, but I think it was well worth it for everything there. By the way, she has a bunch of old GI Joe, slot car, and probably some more games I missed left so if anyone is in the area I can give you the street name so you can keep an eye out.

Beyond that, I scored the games below over the course of the day $16. I'll mainly be using these to trade to Gamestop to contribute to my PS4 fund.

And as far as non-gaming finds go, I got this Darkwing Duck bank, bag of weird buttons, and a vintage Halloween noisemaker for $6 total. Really happy about DWD and the noisemaker, and the buttons will make good presents for my friends into such things.

Am a huge fan of Darkwing Duck. Great pickup.

After 5 yard sales, decided to give up and go to the gym. As driving there, there was a sign of a yard sale. Nothing special really, but cant beat $2 total for a stack of games

PS1 Games

Gran Turismo

Tomb Raider

Spiderman

Spyro Ripto's Rage

Shrek Treasure Hunt CIB sealed

Yu-Gi-oh forbidden memories (Mint case with holo cover "3 limited edition cards inside) No cards of course

Megaman x4

xbox 360

WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007

The megaman x4 and wwe alone was worth $2. Didnt understand why saling the whole lot for so cheap.

He also had a xbox 360 HD DVD player and some movies, few xbox 360 games mostly sports and rockband.

Keep seeing everyone awesome finds here and this is probably my awesome find in a long time. 

There were supposed to be a bunch of community sales around Baltimore on Saturday, but they ended up getting rained out. Today, however, was super nice and there was a sale down the street from me advertising games. I got all of these for $40, and I'm really glad to finally have a copy of Mister Mosquito and Space Channel 5 (in addition to the others).

Saw a sale on Sunday on FB They weren't advertised on any website, but they must have had signs out. I could make out they had a Ps2 in one box and xbox stuff in the other from the picture on FB. Unfortunately it was all junk and they wanted $25 per box. After talking to them a bit, I found out they had a n64 on Saturday for $25 with games, but a high school kid bought it. (I was relieved it went to someone who will actually play it.)

Anyway I paid $2 for this stuff. The 360 is broken, but it has not been opened/has the seal. The Little Mermaid is the recalled "penis" cover.

Also got a solo cup of lemonade for 25 cents from their kid. I felt bad b/c he had no customers.

Saw a sale on Sunday on FB They weren't advertised on any website, but they must have had signs out. I could make out they had a Ps2 in one box and xbox stuff in the other from the picture on FB. Unfortunately it was all junk and they wanted $25 per box. After talking to them a bit, I found out they had a n64 on Saturday for $25 with games, but a high school kid bought it. (I was relieved it went to someone who will actually play it.)

Anyway I paid $2 for this stuff. The 360 is broken, but it has not been opened/has the seal. The Little Mermaid is the recalled "penis" cover.

Also got a solo cup of lemonade for 25 cents from their kid. I felt bad b/c he had no customers.
What you going to do with a broken xbox 360?

Ds/3ds/GB games $1
N64/Nes games $2
PS3 game $2

[attachment=21710:IMG_20160430_095919.jpg]

I paid $1 for this GBA SP and charger. It works great then I walk in my house and falls out my pocket now it looks like this. Anything I can do with it or is it worthless now?

[attachment=21711:20160430_095134.jpg]

Also got 2 gameboy colors and GBA missing backs but working for $10. Heard a guy and his son asking around for some later in the day at another sale so let them have em for $20. They were in great condition. Sitting tomorrow out so good luck to everyone.

I hit a Community sale today that I did not really want to to go to as its full of competition.  When I pull up to the first sale, I ask for games and told that I'm 'like the 100th person that asked that this morning'.  Not a good sign.

I hit about 10 sales and nothing.  I start looking to where to go next and I find this old man who had some PS1 games in the corner.  While I am looking through them, he tells me $5 apiece, then $3 apiece.  He then hits on a woman that walks up to his sell by telling her she looks like a swimsuit model.  She starts to yell at for insullting her and he turns to me after the exchange and asks me to make an offer.  I offer him $20, he tells me I'm killing him and he takes my money.  I end up with (all complete PS1)

Pit Ball

Tenchu 1

Twisted Metal GH

Twisted Metal 3

Twisted Metal 4

Myst

Tai-Fu

Point Blank

Final Fantasy VII Black Label

Time Crisis

As I'm leaving, I see an old Konami Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Basketball LCD games that I ask him to through in.  He does and I decide to stay in the neighborhood.

Close to that sale I find a complete Gamecube Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess for .50 cents.  I then end up with PS2 Dirge of Cerebus, PS2 Champions of Norrath, DS Atari Anniversary, and 3DS Mario Party with 2 Naruto plushes for $10.

Finally, for game sales, I negotiate 13 complete Common X Box 360 games for $20. 

I end up also buying a 24 inch Westinghoute Flat screen TV for our kitchen which is the first time I've been able to get such a TV at a yard sale. Guy let it go for $15 and showed me it worked and said he's moving and impressed upon me no one else had asked about this morning.  His neighbor down the street was selling nearly the same TV for $100, which I got a good laugh about.

I also found a couple clearing up their DVD collection.  The apparently do not open their DVDs and I ended up with 16 Disney Classics, most still sealed and complete Blu Ray 3d Copies of Guardians of the Galaxy and Amazing Spider Man 2 for $15 total.

Not a bad sale day. I cut my day short as he wife graciously agrees to watch the baby Saturday morning so I can go to yard sales and the gym.  Its the first yard sale season with the little guy and I have taken him to a few on Fridays when I'm off work.  He helped neogtiate some comics for me a few weeks ago by laughing at the lady holding the sale.  I ended up getting 21 comics (for $20), among which were

Legends 3 (First Villain Suicide Squad)

Avengers 31, at least VF (first cheap silver age book Ive found in a while)

Punisher first series mini series # 1 , # 2, #3

Amazing Spider Man 289

Amazing Spider Man 296

Web of Spider Man # 1

X Factor 5 (first Apoc cameo), 6 (first complete Apoc)

Legends 1 (first Amanda Waller)

He was a good little negotiator.

Hit up 5 sales and got nothing including a church and a elementary school sale.

Saw my competition he walked away with a cheap ps2 and some games

Hmm. I didn't know there were different screen versions of gameboys. TY for the info guys!

Most sales were rained out, but I picked up at least 1 ps2 game today that I've wanted for years. I spent a little under $30 today. Pics tomorrow or Monday since the stuff is till in the trunk (and it is still raining).

I got An Atari Lynx with 18 games that works for 20$
Some DS and Xbox games for 5$
And two GameCube games for 4$[attachment=21727:image.jpeg][attachment=21728:image.jpeg][attachment=21729:image.jpeg]

I hosted my own sake today and made a pretty penny myself. However, I did hit up a couple sales too. I picked up a $15 Amazon.com giftcard for 7.50 and a D&D module for .50, so $8 for everything.

Good to see the finds here!

I got a Black iPod Video 80 GB for 50 cents at a catholic school sale last week. Totally had porn on it. A little beat up but it still works great.

I went out this week and some lady backed into my car so I called it a weekend on yard sales :( Hopefully get back out there next week and get some good stuff!

I hosted my own sake today and made a pretty penny myself. However, I did hit up a couple sales too. I picked up a $15 Amazon.com giftcard for 7.50 and a D&D module for .50, so $8 for everything.
What are the big sellers around you? Around here people seem to buy up the housewares when I host a sale, but they don't pay a lot for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back