The Official 2017 Yard Sale Thread - Passing the torch

Status
Not open for further replies.
DVDs
The Rum Diary ($1)

The Spirit ($1)

Redman: Whut? Thee Album ($1)

Smackdown 2: Know Your Role. Free.

Had hit up a church rummage sale Thursday and they had a decent selection of games for $1 each. Didn't see anything I had to have (handful of PS1 games all were sports if you count wrestling and Tony Hawk), a few PC games, mostly jewel case hunting titles and then Sims 2 Double Deluxe (which I own a physical copy of) and Seasons (and I have Sims 2 complete from when EA made it free.) and 2 DS games (Hannah Montana and All-Star Cheer.) Had 6 or so DVDs, picked up those two and a CD from a selection that had some rap and hip hop (Fugees) and then like Justin Bieber.

So I went back today as my sister was off and wanted to check it out and Saturdays this church marks everything free to get rid of it. Last year I didn't get there until Saturday. Ended up getting an HP Laserjet 5 for free, though. But for the games someone took/bought everything but Smackdown 2, maybe because the jewel case was cracked on one of the fasteners. Disc was surfaced scratched a bit, but I've seen far worse play fine. Plus I've heard from Sony fans that Know Your Role is the best on PS1 and Here Comes The Pain is the best on PS2. (I have WM2000 and No Mercy on N64.)

Also grabbed an old Tootsietoy die-cast El Camino car from 1960-ish. It's matchbox sized and the paint is almost completely gone, but I like El Caminos. Plus I just recently got an older and slightly larger Tootsietoy that was my grandfather's from when he was a kid.

I am doing extremely light yard sailing these days as well, my town sucks and so do the people in it and everything gets picked over fast, but I know a couple houses here that consistently sell video games at low prices so I will visit those as well as 5-6 houses per week weather permitting, wellllll I think I got the motherload of a find as it was FREE and most of it works... I am not going to post a pic but I really did get a whole box of console game stuff for free. It was dirty of course but when cleaning most of it worked. There was a dreamcast, SNES, Genesis Model 1 and SNES in the box. There was also a Toejam and earl game for Genesis. It was just sitting in the person's driveway with free written on the box, they responded with one man's junk is another's treasure and to enjoy.... super nice people, a rarity for my town.

Serious question.... I collect photos of old video game arcades.. I am extremely serious about this, and specifically I am looking for photos of one nearby arcade that well, a lot of people in my town must have visited. I have gone through all of my local contacts... and no one has turned up anything (either that or they don't care and they think I am a freak or a very strange person). I have already gone through all the facebook groups and other places that I could think of as well. I have exhausted internet forums for this sort of thing as well. I did manage to uncover a large stash of photos of this arcade... at the arcade itself (go to the source if you want pictures!). These are professional photos and I am serious enough about this where well.. I am still not satisfied and I would like to see some candid photos of this place! To be real though I am very satisfied with what I was able to find and since there are about 5-6 photos of this place other than the stash I uncovered out there it was a massive blessing to be able to find what I did.

People often ask me what I am looking for at yard sales and the truth is, I am looking for photos of local video game arcades from anytime before 1999! Because that is when I started taking my own photos. Do you think its weird to ask people for vintage photos of old video game arcades from the area at yard sales? Has anyone ever tried to ask for something intangible like this at a yard sale? I guess if I am questioning myself then its definitely weird.... hah.. Now I can't ask the 20 something couple because they obviously wouldn't have any photos since I am looking for photos from the 1980's and 1990's, Ideally I am looking for more 90's photos though. I can't pay money to the people for their photos, I am to the point where I have business cards with my 2 facebook addresses and email on them, I haven't had the balls to do it yet to anyone but I am very tempted.. but knowing that the photo I want to see is probably lurking in someone's family photo album.... is probably going to push me over the edge to start asking!!!

I am doing extremely light yard sailing these days as well, my town sucks and so do the people in it and everything gets picked over fast, but I know a couple houses here that consistently sell video games at low prices so I will visit those as well as 5-6 houses per week weather permitting, wellllll I think I got the motherload of a find as it was FREE and most of it works... I am not going to post a pic but I really did get a whole box of console game stuff for free. It was dirty of course but when cleaning most of it worked. There was a dreamcast, SNES, Genesis Model 1 and SNES in the box. There was also a Toejam and earl game for Genesis. It was just sitting in the person's driveway with free written on the box, they responded with one man's junk is another's treasure and to enjoy.... super nice people, a rarity for my town.

Serious question.... I collect photos of old video game arcades.. I am extremely serious about this, and specifically I am looking for photos of one nearby arcade that well, a lot of people in my town must have visited. I have gone through all of my local contacts... and no one has turned up anything (either that or they don't care and they think I am a freak or a very strange person). I have already gone through all the facebook groups and other places that I could think of as well. I have exhausted internet forums for this sort of thing as well. I did manage to uncover a large stash of photos of this arcade... at the arcade itself (go to the source if you want pictures!). These are professional photos and I am serious enough about this where well.. I am still not satisfied and I would like to see some candid photos of this place! To be real though I am very satisfied with what I was able to find and since there are about 5-6 photos of this place other than the stash I uncovered out there it was a massive blessing to be able to find what I did.

People often ask me what I am looking for at yard sales and the truth is, I am looking for photos of local video game arcades from anytime before 1999! Because that is when I started taking my own photos. Do you think its weird to ask people for vintage photos of old video game arcades from the area at yard sales? Has anyone ever tried to ask for something intangible like this at a yard sale? I guess if I am questioning myself then its definitely weird.... hah.. Now I can't ask the 20 something couple because they obviously wouldn't have any photos since I am looking for photos from the 1980's and 1990's, Ideally I am looking for more 90's photos though. I can't pay money to the people for their photos, I am to the point where I have business cards with my 2 facebook addresses and email on them, I haven't had the balls to do it yet to anyone but I am very tempted.. but knowing that the photo I want to see is probably lurking in someone's family photo album.... is probably going to push me over the edge to start asking!!!
Have you ever found somebody who had old photos of arcades at a yard sale? It sounds like a 1 in 100,000 kind of shot.

I've honestly never asked so I don't know, I would definitely choose my targets carefully though, and there are a lot of people who wouldn't have any photos at all because the type of photos I am looking for would be in a physical photo album and would be taken with a film camera. I do know a couple people here who have photos of old arcades so they have to be out there somewhere.

You might want to try putting up fliers at local churches or community centers, or perhaps local businesses with foot traffic (such as a hair salon). Include a small bounty (such as $20 for an album) to give people something for their time.

Nice to see that you're still around, by the way *tips hat*

You might want to try putting up fliers at local churches or community centers, or perhaps local businesses with foot traffic (such as a hair salon). Include a small bounty (such as $20 for an album) to give people something for their time.

Nice to see that you're still around, by the way *tips hat*
I noticed someone recently in my area just put a similar request for photos in the local paper for photos of an area in my city that there are apparently no photos of, so I guess this type of thing isn't unusual, perhaps writing to my local paper stating my mission and why I want the photos is the way to go, and maybe I will get published and people will send in photos. Local newspaper is everything in my town.

I think I had my best gaming find in a long while this morning while driving home.

I had hit two community sales in the morning and did not find much.  Gaming wise, I got complete KOTOR II Xbox for $1 and Yoshi Touch and Go Complete for $5.  The Lady had a bunch of DS games but decided not to sell the rest as she was posting on ebay.  I also found a Game Boy Color with 5 games (Donkey Kong Country being the best) for $5.

I started to go back home and hit a sale that was posted all week and occurred on Friday.  Gaming competition is very competitive in my area and I was shocked to see there were still quality Genesis games there.  I got Complete Copies of X-Men, X-Men II, Indiana Jones, Shadow of the Beast, Superman, and Pirates Gold for $10.  On my way out I noticed a very dirty Radio Shack computer. I left and decided to look it up in my car. 

It turns out the Radio Shack computer is a Tandy and had 10 cartrideges with it along with a bunch of attachments.  The person told me she was going to throw it away and said they would take $10 for it.  I could have gotten it cheaper but knew the Tandy itself goes for $40 parts only.  I looked up the cartridges and they go between $10 to $50 apiece.  The various attachments seem to be pretty rare. 

I continue to drive home and find a yard sale sign for a sale that took me all over the place.  I drive all these back roads only to find the yard sale is next to a main road which would have saved me time. I ask for games and the guy walks me to another game boy lot with a very dirty game boy and 6 dirty games.  I see Contra Alien Wars with some other games and the guy tells me he wants $2 for everything.

I don't really look at the games until I get in the car.  I see Tetris, Wheel of Fortune, Snoopy, F1 Race and a Potato game I vaguely remember hearing about.  I start to drive when I realize the potato game is an Atlus game and I look it up.

It turns out I lucked into Spud's Adventure, one of the rarest games on the system.  It was really dirty and worked after several attempts and ends up being a not so bad game.  Between the Tandy lot and Spud's Adventure I think I made out well today.

Excellent finds!

It’s kind of the same way around here...I often running into guys buying up cheap games at sales. Not sure if they are also ebayers, Facebook sellers or collectors, but they also scoop up any deals they find.

Now that yard sale season is mostly over for everyone....what was everyone's top find/s this year?

A 2011 13" Macbook Pro for $50 was easily the best one for me as I have been using it for graphic design work ever since. My other Macbook Pro I bought in 2011 broke 3 weeks after buying the $50 one, so perfect timing.

Now that yard sale season is mostly over for everyone....what was everyone's top find/s this year?

A 2011 13" Macbook Pro for $50 was easily the best one for me as I have been using it for graphic design work ever since. My other Macbook Pro I bought in 2011 broke 3 weeks after buying the $50 one, so perfect timing.
How did it break?

I know we're now into 2018 but I had to post this. I finally got pictures done and checked on conditions/how many pieces were there.

Story: My wife and I were visiting my mother in law and that weekend I decided to go yard sailing. This was sometime mid-summer, so it was in the thick of the season.

I found a yard sale that had advertised Nintendo stuff, so I went..the usual suspects were there, they scored some bigger NES lots which I don't begrudge them because of what I found. I was browsing everything, even some Atari 2600 stuff, when a sign for board games caught my eye, $1 each. Thats important. I was standing on the guy's porch as he had some stuff up there too, and I see one of my competitors look at this suspiciously big board game...and low and behold its FIREBALL ISLAND! The box is beat to hell, but holy crap, for $1. Anyhow, he looks at it, puts it down and I practically JUMP off the porch to grab it.

I held on to that damn thing for dear life. Looked inside and I saw the board, heard a few other things rattling around, so I just grabbed it. I got a few other things too, some Alvin & the Chipmunks plush things, a couple PS2 and PS3 games (3D Dot Game Heroes for $2!).

I got it back to my mother in law's and my wife and I were ecstatic! This was one of our white whales when it comes to our Ebay business. I didn't get work that summer, so I was really working hard at Ebay stuff (same username on there as here, so check me out!).

It was almost perfectly complete! After ordering an aftermarket fireball and token piece, I am only missing one of the adventurer pieces (the blue one).

I'm gonna list this badboy on Ebay, but...I'mma just put this out there, if anybody wants to trade a Nintendo Switch for it, I would not say no. Just saying. I can send pictures via message but I can't figure out how to get my pictures uploaded to the forum, uploading to my personal gallery doesn't seem to be working right now. I'll try in another browser in a bit.

Edit: It would help if I put the bulk of my text in the space for the reply, not the quote. Oi.
SY5Lcux.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess it'll be time to pass the torch again, huh?

Anyway. Got a camcorder (Samsung HMX-H300) for ten dollars and a digital camera (Canon PowerShot SX230 HS) for five. I don't really need more of this stuff, but it's more advanced than any camcorders or cameras I've owned up to this point. I can confirm the camera works; for the camcorder, I'll need a battery to test it.

Fireball Island is really that valuable, eh? I'd hate to see what you'd do to get a Crossfire!

Crossfire is around $100. With box and most accessories, Fireball Island is about $200 - $400 depending on shape.
It hurts to see one get picked up at such a steal only to be re-sold or used as trade bait. Of course I was a stupid child and got rid of mine a looong time ago, so who am I to judge.

It hurts to see one get picked up at such a steal only to be re-sold or used as trade bait. Of course I was a stupid child and got rid of mine a looong time ago, so who am I to judge.
I hear ya. If I had the space for it, maybe I'd hang on to it...but also my wife and I just don't have time to play it...it seems....involved. I'm looking forward to the day when I don't have to flip stuff and I've got my career settled finally, but for now...gotta do it.

Hey all, haven't been on for a while. I'll look for a 2018 thread and close this one. Nice find on the fireball island! Mine was in perfect shape until my parents basement got flooded in 2000. Lost the first few issues of nintendo power too back then. I did keep all the non paper pieces of FI though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back