The Official Android thread.

[quote name='sendme']I just downloaded the cyanogen mod again and now the thing just keeps reseting it looks like. Starting to wonder why I even rooted this thing.[/QUOTE]

Did you do a complete wipe before flashing?

[quote name='VipFREAK']I rooted only for the Wireless Tether.[/QUOTE]

Thats why I am thinking of rooting my evo actually...

Got to look into what program is the best, etc to root right now.. this is my biggest want.

Verizon has gotten smart, newest fascinate updates have software capable of monitoring tethering, and it doesn't have a work around yet.

I rooted for the wireless tether only at first also. However after using it you almost have to be next to the phone. I left my phone in my car and went into the gym. Now where I was in the gym I could see my car and it was not far at all. I didn't expect a lot but I expected more than what I got. If I am going to have to keep my phone on me to get some stuff on my iPod I might as well just use my phone.

As of now I am unrooted. The PC36IMG file was old that was posted in the guide. I was able to find a new one and it worked fine for me. As for the mod I was having issues with, I found out I needed another file. I downloaded it and put it on my phone and it worked fine. However the mod had no marketplace. Also after installing that other file I was not able to go back to sprint lovers. Some how my backup file got deleted or else I would have just used it to get back to where I was before I started to install the roms. Going to read up more on the roms and may try again. Don't know though as my phone is yet again touchy with things.

I wish the wireless tethering distance was my problem... Instead I'm forced to deal with this fail stock batt and fail 3500mAh Chinese batt... If it's not that then I get these random errors like... Data error XXXX or Call error XXXX. It's getting fucking annoying. I thought we were past these problems with these "smart" phones... :\

Have a question for everyone. Does anyone know of any Android tablets out there? I am not looking to do much, just some simple pdf reading, maybe a book here or there for reference and just simple web browsing when I need to look something up on the fly. Nothing too heavy. Anyone know of any that are under $300?

Thanks

[quote name='Clak']The nook color would probably work for that, it's technically an e-reader, but it can do more.[/QUOTE]
I been looking at that. I know you can root it with a hack of real android, was curious if anyone owned one.

It runs Android stock to begin with, just with a custom interface. It can get online and read e-mail stock I believe, obviously books are no problem. You'd have to check but It can probably do PDFs I'd imagine.

[quote name='Clak']It runs Android stock to begin with, just with a custom interface. It can get online and read e-mail stock I believe, obviously books are no problem. You'd have to check but It can probably do PDFs I'd imagine.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I will go into barnes and noble this week sometime and ask. Hopefully they are smart enough to answer my questions :lol:.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Yeah I will go into barnes and noble this week sometime and ask. Hopefully they are smart enough to answer my questions :lol:.[/QUOTE]

hahahahaha...

No.

Just checked and it does do PDFs, word, and excel files. Don't think it has any of the google apps, so gmail for instance would have to be done from the web site, though loading the google apps seems pretty easy if you wanted to try.

I've actually been tempted to get one of these myself, I just wish it had a 10 inch screen. No way I'm paying what motorola wants for a xoom.

[quote name='Clak']Just checked and it does do PDFs, word, and excel files. Don't think it has any of the google apps, so gmail for instance would have to be done from the web site, though loading the google apps seems pretty easy if you wanted to try.

I've actually been tempted to get one of these myself, I just wish it had a 10 inch screen. No way I'm paying what motorola wants for a xoom.[/QUOTE]
I have my iPod touch for mail/music, etc. I am a programmer and personally I would love to have a device where I can just store reference books on it so wherever I go I can keep a reference of things (the screen on the iPod is way too small for me to even think of that). Some of my college textbooks are like 400-500+ pages and I would rather a device I can store many of those types of books to take wherever I go.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']If your main concern is reading, I'd say go with a Kindle. They're very easy on the eyes compared to an LCD screen.[/QUOTE]

The thing is I wont be reading novels or anything. More of like a 5 minute lookup on an item. Plus I want it to be in color just because of since it will be for reference books and such. Nothing against the kindle, I like the kindle, it's just I would prefer a color screen.

Well then I'd say your biggest issue is making sure there are e-book versions of the books you use.

So, as someone still new to android...I got an app to play NES games, and that's great and all.

I also downloaded the skyfire browser, since others recommended it.

What else do you deem absolutely necessary to any droid owner?

[quote name='mykevermin']So, as someone still new to android...I got an app to play NES games, and that's great and all.

I also downloaded the skyfire browser, since others recommended it.

What else do you deem absolutely necessary to any droid owner?[/QUOTE]

I recently made a list of all the apps I wanted to reinstall when I hacked my phone:

handcent - The best SMS client i've used in Android. Much more customization options than the stock app.

android vnc - a mostly functional VNC application. Nice if you're a nerd and use those kinds of things.

advanced task killer - This is a stellar app. It's nice to be able to see what is running in the background on the phone, and the auto-kill for idle apps helps save battery life.

battle.net authenticator -- if you use blizzard games, it's nice to have on the phone.

ringdroid and/or rehearsal assistant - voice recording apps and ringtone creation

twotouch timer - quick, simple timer app, i use it for cooking.

uninstaller - there are a ton of them around, but a one-touch uninstaller is way more convenient to remove apps than sifting through the stock app management software.

wifi analyzer - see the strength and names of wireless networks in the area.

PDA Net - tethering app

Dolphin HD: Very nice multi-tabbed browser. beautiful to look at on a good screen.

As far as games go:
Angry birds is free for Android. My G1 is too weak to run it, which makes me sad.

Gurk: is an interesting little 8-bit RPG that's fun for killing a few minutes.

Pacman: Namco has Pacman for free, so that's worth picking up.

Solitaire: The one I use is just named "Solitaire" - very simple, decent controls, multiple game types.

Gem Miner: It's like Miner Dig Deep on the xbox arcade. It's a fun and free.

Robo Defense: fantastic tower defense title. There's a free and paid version - the game is absolutely worth paying for.

I don't know what you have and what you don't. These are some that Battle Chicken hasn't mentioned.
Google Sky Map
Google Navigation (if that's not automatically on your phone)
Key Ring (keeps all your store membership card numbers, and xfers them into barcodes that can be scanned)
Catch (used to be 3banana) (make notes, text and picture files online or on the phone and sync them back and forth). This is one of my favorites, I can update at the house what guides were pennied and double check the list when i'm in the store)
Trapster (alerts you to police traps, et cetera)

Also, I personally like Opera Mini for my browser. I don't know how it compares.

[quote name='mykevermin']Thanks so much!

PDANet is a no go. AT&T doesn't allow tethering, so I can't dl it from the android market. any way around that?[/QUOTE]
I have verizon so I don't know how difficult it would be. But a first thought was just downloading it to your pc and putting it on your card?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mykevermin']Thanks so much!

PDANet is a no go. AT&T doesn't allow tethering, so I can't dl it from the android market. any way around that?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but you'd have to navigate morally murky waters matey...

Actually he's already sailing the seven seas with that NES emulator....;)

If you rooted the phone (that's geek for gaining administrator rights on your phone) you could probably get PDAnet to work. I used it before Verizon caught on and apparently modified the kernel on my phone to track tethering.

Personally, I use Color Notes for quick notes. They're like post-it notes meet widget. Catch sounds really nice though.
Keyring has never scanned for me, so I stopped trying.
I use Opera Mini 95% of the time, because it's fast and not limited to 8 tabs. I use Dolphin Browser the other 5% of the time, when a page needs flash.
RealCalc is a pretty nice calculator.
I wish I had a keyboard so I could play Angband and NetHack proper.
XiiaLive is nice if you ever listen to Shoutcast (which I do). It's an official partner of Shoutcast.
I use Lookout in case my phone gets stolen, but I have no idea how well it actually functions in those cases, and hope I never find out first hand.
FlashLight uses the screen, and not the LED(s), with adjustable brightness. I use it in the dark to not bump into things. There's some reports of the LEDs burning out with LED-based flashlights. I had both types, but found FlashLight to be adequate enough for what I use it for.
Real Signal tells you what your signal strength is, and the scale doesn't shift like the stock version. I pretty much have to use it because my signal strength is around 96dBm in my office on a normal day.

Not a fan of Handcent, personally. I know I'm the minority, but I like the simplicity and crisp look of vanilla.

Just switched to Myn's Warm TwoPointTwo ROM last night.

I love it. It's Sense based, but with a really classy look. 4G works and it also has the Hulu app.

WarmTwoPointTwoDisplay.jpg

[quote name='mykevermin']that's too smart for me to pull off - rooting, I mean.

danke schoen manthing.[/QUOTE]

Rooting isn't that hard to do. At least not for the EVO. For me all I had to do was download some drivers for windows, uninstall sync only and download a program and run it with my phone connected and in charge only mode. Now when you start talking about kernels that is different. Some ROMs all you need to do is backup then install the ROM. Some are a bit more of a pain. You can find guides online. However to unroot some of the guides didn't have updated files and I had an issue with that.

However that is all for the EVO. I don't know about other phones. Some may be more of a pain. I did see someone wants 10 grand for a program they even state that they did not make that will root and unroot with one click some phones.

[quote name='zewone']Just switched to Myn's Warm TwoPointTwo ROM last night.

I love it. It's Sense based, but with a really classy look. 4G works and it also has the Hulu app.

WarmTwoPointTwoDisplay.jpg
[/QUOTE]

What clock widget is your time setup scheme? that looks extremely clean cut.

[quote name='Clak']The nook color would probably work for that, it's technically an e-reader, but it can do more.[/QUOTE]
I gave the old lady a Nook Color for Valentine's. I left the Stock internal ROM alone, but burned a few images of Android builds to SD cards for her to tinker with (Nookie Froyo and Honeycomb). The boot order is crazy, they boot to the SD card first so with a responsive enough SD card, you can have the eReader Barnes and Noble intended with all the fun of a full-on Android device without needing to root at all.

It's an amazing device for the price, the Android side is very responsive. She digs it for web browsing, email, a little video playback (though it lags on that), light games, and of course ereading (FBReader). Also, my interest in the non-stock Android boot started and stopped with an SNES emulator, which worked just fine.

I recommend it to anyone who's looking for an Android tablet on the cheap. It's very popular in the development community due to the combination of unrealized potential and price, so there's going to be a lot of good stuff coming along for the Nook Color. For instance, CyanogenMods is very close to supporting it with CM7. They'll be releasing something very soon according to the developers working on it.

Something keeps draining my battery like crazy...the only thing I can think of is Groupon which I activated a couple days ago. I uninstalled it today and I hope my battery goes back to its original daily lifeline.

------------

Clak, if you happen to have a link handy, can you show me where I can find info on rooting and what kind of roms I should be looking for? I'm ready to take the plunge, the one Zewone posted looks pretty slick, I hope something like that is available on the Fascinate.

Best advice I can give you is to go to androidcentral.com and look in their fascinate rooting section. Tons of info there on all the newest releases, and they're a little more noob friendly than XDA can be. That rom zew posted looks like it's probably been themed, he's probably running ADW or Launcher Pro too for that dock. Whatever you end up doing, check out ADW, it can use themes and some look really good.

sc20110216112248.png

sc20110216112256.png

Nothing too fancy, the dock was done with ADW and a theme called Espresso. The notification bar/menu was done with a theme called Superdark installed on top of Blackhole 4.01 rom.

[quote name='Clak']Best advice I can give you is to go to androidcentral.com and look in their fascinate rooting section. Tons of info there on all the newest releases, and they're a little more noob friendly than XDA can be. That rom zew posted looks like it's probably been themed, he's probably running ADW or Launcher Pro too for that dock. Whatever you end up doing, check out ADW, it can use themes and some look really good.[/QUOTE]

Awesome...thanks. Also, pretty cool looking ^^

[quote name='elessar123']I use Lookout in case my phone gets stolen, but I have no idea how well it actually functions in those cases, and hope I never find out first hand.
[/quote]A GS manager downtown had his and phone stolen when his store was robbed. Lookout helped the cops out significantly. ;)

Not a fan of Handcent, personally. I know I'm the minority, but I like the simplicity and crisp look of vanilla.
I don't know vanilla, unless you mean the original MMS interface that came on your phone. I'm not a huge fan of Handcent either, but I do use it.

Possibly related question, I have an HTC Incredible. Is there any way of individualizing ringtones to different people for TEXT messages? NOT for phone calls, that's easy enough to do.

Wow....didn't think Xperia Play would to to Verizon...nice move big red!

pspphone138_2D00_610.jpg

Sony held the Sony Ericsson's MWC 2011 press event today, where they finally revealed the long-rumored PlayStation-inspired phone. Labeled the Xperia Play, the device utilizes Google's Android Gingerbread platform, is "PlayStation certified," and is on the Verizon Network.
"This Spring, expect to see a lot of people with their heads down and thumbs up," said Sony Ericsson's marketing head for North America, Peter Farmer. "Xperia Play combined with the power of the Verizon Wireless network gives you everything you need in a smartphone and the one thing you want – the ultimate gaming experience."
Due out this March, the phone will launch with 50 downloadable titles, play PSN games, and eventually be able to host original PlayStation titles. Sony's Kazuo Hirai teases that the phone will come pre-installed with a "legendary PS One title." My money is on Final Fantasy VII. The Xperia play will also come with Asphalt Adrenaline 6, Bruce Lee, Star Battalion, The Sims 3, and Tetris already on it.
Other games will include EA's FIFA series and the Android version of Dead Space. The phone is capable of utilizing Epic's Unreal Engine. Sony is also partnering with Unity Technologies to bring their Unity Engine to the Xperia Play. Approximately 350,000 games exist that utilize this engine, and this tech would allow those titles to be ported to the device.
Other stats:
-60 frames-per-second via the Snapdragon 1Ghz processor
-Adreno 205 graphical processor
-4-inch multi-touch display
-Four-way d-pad
-Alphabetical keys
-Left and right shoulder buttons
-Dual analog touch pads to mimic analog sticks
-5.0 megapixel camera

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/02/13/sony-details-xperia-play.aspx

[quote name='guinaevere']I don't know vanilla, unless you mean the original MMS interface that came on your phone. I'm not a huge fan of Handcent either, but I do use it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I meant vanilla as in stock.

[quote name='Poor2More']What clock widget is your time setup scheme? that looks extremely clean cut.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mykevermin']agreed, poor2more. i dig that clock setup.

sendme, I have a galaxy s, not and evo.[/QUOTE]

That's SiMi Clock Widget.

The battery meter is Circle Battery in case anyone was interested in that.

you can customize handscent to look almost identical to the stock app. I use the Android style chat windows rather than the bubbles, for example.

The ability to change ringtones and notifications per user is excellent for someone like me, who gets work pages. I have my normal notifications for whoever (rupee noise from zelda), pages from my wife (1up from mario world), and work pages (you died music from Mario world).

Perhaps the stock app has been updated to do the same things.. I know in my old 1.5 ROM it hadn't been.

How can I change settings to only use one SMS program? I get texts via handscent as well as the default app now.

Sorry for the dumb questions - my brain is iphone wired since I used one for 3 years or so prior to the past week.

You can go into the default app's settings and turn off notifications. Go into messaging, hit the menu button, select settings, un-check notifications.

Yeah, and if it ever asks you which to use by default, just pick handcent and check the box at the bottom.

I was asked today if one could plug up their EVO to their 360 and use it to get online. I know you can't use it to play multiplayer as the 3/4g is to slow. They were just wondering about using it for updates and game downloads. Only internet they have is on their EVO. They told me they tried it but could not get it to work and when they have tried the USB tethering it has not worked in the past. So does Sprint also lock out the USB like they do the wireless or is their a way to get this to work.

zewone: Does that Myn ROM support 4G?

[quote name='sendme']I was asked today if one could plug up their EVO to their 360 and use it to get online. I know you can't use it to play multiplayer as the 3/4g is to slow. They were just wondering about using it for updates and game downloads. Only internet they have is on their EVO. They told me they tried it but could not get it to work and when they have tried the USB tethering it has not worked in the past. So does Sprint also lock out the USB like they do the wireless or is their a way to get this to work.[/QUOTE]

I don't believe you can plug the EVO into a 360 to use the cellular data via USB.

Back when I had a Windows Mobile 5 phone, I would use the PDANet program to share my MOTO Q's data connection with my laptop. There was a PDANet program that ran on the computer, and I imagine it works the same way with the Android version.

Since you can't get the PDANet software running on the 360, sharing internet wouldn't be possible that way.

The only way I can think to share internet would be if they had a 360 Slim, or the 360 WiFi adapter for the old model, root the EVO, and use Wireless Tether which is available through the market here: http://market.android.com/details?id=android.tether

Anyone here planning to get an Android Tablet? I have a Moto DROID 1 and I'd like to get a new phone at some point, but I've been looking at some of those Wi-fi only tablets.. But the Moto XOOM is just too expensive.. $800?? No Thanks!

The Android Gome FlyTouch 2 X220 model looks decent for around $200, wonder if anyone here has used it yet?
Been reading some posts on http://www.androidtablets.net/ looks like its not too bad for the price.

bread's done
Back