The Official Android thread.

[quote name='manthing']zewone: Does that Myn ROM support 4G?

I don't believe you can plug the EVO into a 360 to use the cellular data via USB.

Back when I had a Windows Mobile 5 phone, I would use the PDANet program to share my MOTO Q's data connection with my laptop. There was a PDANet program that ran on the computer, and I imagine it works the same way with the Android version.

Since you can't get the PDANet software running on the 360, sharing internet wouldn't be possible that way.

The only way I can think to share internet would be if they had a 360 Slim, or the 360 WiFi adapter for the old model, root the EVO, and use Wireless Tether which is available through the market here: http://market.android.com/details?id=android.tether[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it does. I haven't been able to test it myself, but I've read.

Also, I've used my EVO to connect to Live through wireless tether. I don't recommend it, but it's possible.

[quote name='Sinistar']Anyone here planning to get an Android Tablet? I have a Moto DROID 1 and I'd like to get a new phone at some point, but I've been looking at some of those Wi-fi only tablets.. But the Moto XOOM is just too expensive.. $800?? No Thanks!

The Android Gome FlyTouch 2 X220 model looks decent for around $200, wonder if anyone here has used it yet?
Been reading some posts on http://www.androidtablets.net/ looks like its not too bad for the price.[/QUOTE]

Get a Nook Color. In a month or two it'll have Gingerbread via CM7, and once Google releases the full Honeycomb source to developers, the Nook will be one of the first to see a fully featured HC port thanks to deeper-blue's work on the XDA forums.

I'd really like to get a NC, but I just have this thing about tablets under 10 inches. To me that's the perfect size, anyhting else just feels like a big phone.

Anyone know of a free app for bike trails? It is to be nice all or most the weekend and I want to get my bike out.

[quote name='mykevermin']agreed, poor2more. i dig that clock setup.

sendme, I have a galaxy s, not and evo.[/QUOTE]

I only know how it is on the EVO. I looked on google to see about the galaxy s just now and some of what I read doesn't seem to hard. Seems like it is just about the same just different files. If you ever think about giving it a try just search for some forums for the galaxy s and see if they have any guides and read them. Also just in case I would check to see if you can unroot it. I would post some links for you in case you would want to just give them a read but not sure what the mods would say about that.

[quote name='Clak']I'd really like to get a NC, but I just have this thing about tablets under 10 inches. To me that's the perfect size, anyhting else just feels like a big phone.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I had that feeling at first, like all I needed was an oversized mug and grownup shirts and pants to complete the ensemble.

However, once full-blown 3.0 hits the NC, I think it will "feel" bigger. I certainly got that feeling in the little bit I played around with Honeynook. It gives depth to the space, it's definitely a step in the right direction in terms of making the NC feel like a little tablet and not a big phone.

[quote name='elessar123']Yes, I meant vanilla as in stock.[/QUOTE]Thank you.
[quote name='zewone']That's SiMi Clock Widget.[/QUOTE]
It's amazingly nice and clean, but I don't understand why it would need full internet access. (I'm paranoid about what I dl from the market.) And, I like the htc weather widget. When it rains, it rains on my screen, et cetera. Silly I'm sure, but it makes me happy.

[quote name='BattleChicken']you can customize handscent to look almost identical to the stock app. I use the Android style chat windows rather than the bubbles, for example.[/quote]Trust me, the bubbles were the first to go.

The ability to change ringtones and notifications per user is excellent for someone like me, who gets work pages. I have my normal notifications for whoever (rupee noise from zelda), pages from my wife (1up from mario world), and work pages (you died music from Mario world).

Perhaps the stock app has been updated to do the same things.. I know in my old 1.5 ROM it hadn't been.
You're saying you ARE able to personalize ringtones for text messages from different people? If so, where do I go to do this? I apologize, I need a leetle bit of walking through.

If you want some awesome live wallpapers search for kittehface software in the market. The jumpgate one is awesome, double tap the screen to make him to a barrel roll.

I didn't care much for AVG on the desktop, I use Lookout personally, they seem to be the ones who are always identifying new viruses.

I know its not a phone, but man the new Galaxy Tab 10.1 looks pretty damn good!

img_top_vis_ri_03.jpg

http://galaxytab.samsungmobile.com/

I guy I work with just got a galaxy tab not long ago. He is going to be pissed about this one. I wonder if he can exchange it for this one.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Lookout is on the PC too? Damn...I've been using AVG for a long time that I hadn't even considered any others.[/QUOTE]
No I didn't mean that, I meant I used AVG on the desktop and didn't care for it, I use Lookout on the phone. Been using Avast! on the desktop for quite a while now.

These tablets are just getting too pricey for me. They need some mid range tablets that don't have shitty parts, like a resistive screen. Everything coming out is just way out of my price range for a tablet.

They saw people wanted them but didn't have a clue what for then, the iPad came out. Then the poser Tab came out... Now they all think that's what "we" want...

I keep on laughing about the B$ that come outs while on my Archos 7o.

I decent midrange tablet for around $300-$400 would be ok, that viesonic g-tablet would be ok if it weren't for the crappy screen and software, the hardware is actually really good. I mean I can't help but think it's crazy that a tablet and phone can be priced within $50 of each other, that's nuts.

Anyone else using swype? It was pretty cool at first but now it mucks up words like no other by default (words that aren't in my user dictionary) like xrazy and whay.. probably going to uninstall.

Edit: Meant swype, not skype.. idk how that happened :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get what the deal is with these $800 tablets either.

If you're looking for something cheap to do computer-ey things on the go, a netbook is a better choice at $240 for a decent one. If you're looking at $800, you can get a pretty stellar full-on laptop for about that.

[quote name='dothog']Get a Nook Color. In a month or two it'll have Gingerbread via CM7, and once Google releases the full Honeycomb source to developers, the Nook will be one of the first to see a fully featured HC port thanks to deeper-blue's work on the XDA forums.[/QUOTE]

Oh I think I read something on that on Lifehacker a while back someone was working on putting Android on a Nook Color just to play Angry Birds lol. Might have to look into that.. got any good links how to do it?

[quote name='QiG']Anyone else using skype? It was pretty cool at first but now it mucks up words like no other by default (words that aren't in my user dictionary) like xrazy and whay.. probably going to uninstall.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean Swype or Skype? lol Swpye messes up my txt all the time.. if you highlight the word and hit swype key you can delete it from suggestions.. I do that a lot..

I'm getting a 16gb micro SD card soon and was wondering how transferring everything from my current SD card will work. Can I just copy and paste everything? I might use this opportunity to root my Incredible too...not sure though.

[quote name='humidore']I might use this opportunity to root my Incredible too...not sure though.[/QUOTE]Other than being able to remove certain apps that are hardwired into the software, what are the advantages of rooting?

I finally figured out how to change notifications (not ringtones, I'm slow to pick up on these things) for personalized texts. :bouncy:

[quote name='Sinistar']Oh I think I read something on that on Lifehacker a while back someone was working on putting Android on a Nook Color just to play Angry Birds lol. Might have to look into that.. got any good links how to do it?[/QUOTE]
Honeycomb image for SD boot at XDA
Froyo (2.2) image for SD boot at XDA

You can also visit Android Central's Nook Color forum, I've heard that they have good step-by-step instructions if XDA doesn't suit you.

A big selling point of playing around with the Nook Color (for me at least) is that there is ZERO risk. You don't need to root it, all you have to do is be competent enough to burn an image to an SD card and insert that card into the Nook Color. The boot order goes SD first, then internal memory. So if you don't like what you see on your baby tablet, remove the SD card with the Android image, reboot, and you're done with the experiment at no harm to the NC.

There's been a recent update, CyanogenMod will be releasing nightlies of their Gingerbread build (CM7) for the Nook Color very soon. People at XDA are getting excited, including fattire, one of the main devs on CM7 for the NC...

Yay..today is my official upgrade day...

Booo...I don't have the money for a 200 dollar smart phone :( gf just killed that plan by using the money to get the new dog :(

[quote name='guinaevere']Other than being able to remove certain apps that are hardwired into the software, what are the advantages of rooting?
[/QUOTE]

You know what, aside from that (which improves battery I hear) and instant free wifi tethering, I'm not sure! I'd like to know though...

[quote name='humidore']You know what, aside from that (which improves battery I hear) and instant free wifi tethering, I'm not sure! I'd like to know though...[/QUOTE]
Theoretically, that should improve battery... depending on what programs you axe. And that's my main interest.

As I have no need for tethering, I'm not worried about that.

[quote name='guinaevere']Other than being able to remove certain apps that are hardwired into the software, what are the advantages of rooting?

I finally figured out how to change notifications (not ringtones, I'm slow to pick up on these things) for personalized texts. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

When I rooted my Hero, I was able to get Froyo, which wasn't going to come out for it. This allowed me to use some apps that don't work with Eclair or below, like Navigation, which I use all the time.

Well, thinking about making the Android plunge. Currently have a Nokia 5800 and I really love it. However, Symbian is archaic and I really want an Android device. Actually have my eye on the Nexus S. The fact that I can buy it outright from BestBuy without signing a contract and that it rocks stock Android is a big seller. Currently, I'm on T-Mobile, and this looks like the slickest phone right now. Yay or nay on the Nexus S?

A guy I know bought his phone outright from Verizon in case he wanted to go with someone else, except i don't think he realizes he basically can't. If he tries with Sprint they'll just laugh at him.

[quote name='Clak']A guy I know bought his phone outright from Verizon in case he wanted to go with someone else, except i don't think he realizes he basically can't. If he tries with Sprint they'll just laugh at him.[/QUOTE]

Unless he bought a Droid Pro. Early termination fee likely costs less than the extra, if he's with Verizon for at least a few months and paid $300 more for the phone, so yea.

No he bought an Incredible. We don't don't get service from any of the regional carriers who are willing to let you bring your own phone either. I don't really know what he thought he was accomplishing. If he left Verizon he'd just have to buy another phone anyway, at most he could sell the Incredible and get back a little of the cost.

According to this though, Sprint is supposed to allow phones from other carriers under a settlement from 2007, but still doesn't.

I root so I can install a kernal that overclocks the CPU from 600mhz to 1100mhz. Seems to help my OG Droid keep up with the latest updates and still be somewhat snappy.

Clak, have you noticed if your phone's battery is drained faster since upgrading to Froyo? Also, do you use a bluetooth headset or speaker? Mine keeps disconnecting even if the devices are right next to each other.

Can rooting make you end up with a more stable or efficient build?

Some people seem to report battery issues every time a new rom comes out. I haven't had any issue with mine.I use a bluetooth handsfree in my car, haven't noticed it disconnecting.

Rooting alone, not so much, it's what rooting lets you do that has an effect. some people will root and clean out unneeded programs, I usually just download a clean rom that has all the crap taken out, then I re-add what I need. Blackhole rom is good for that. You can get it through rom manager (search the market for rom manager) and then it will prompt you for what you want to keep as it goes through the install process. Simply rooting alone doesn't really do anything other than give you the ability to do more with the phone.

Ok, maybe the logitech bluetooth speaker is starting to crap out.

Thanks for the info...so what do Kernels do if you don't mind me asking?

The purpose is for connecting the software and hardware. What a modded kernel can do is a variety of things. Most will undervolt and/or overclock the phone. Some just allow for things like custom boot animations. Depends on who did and what purpose they designed it with. I'm not using an special kernel because there aren't any available for DL30/EB01 Froyo right now to my knowledge.

I am a total android virgin here but I've been craving a tablet recently and the rooted Nook Color running honeycomb looks to be an incredible value for how well it runs. Going out to best buy to pick it up today in a couple hours. Unfortunately I have to wait until friday or saturday to root the damn thing because I refuse to pay ridiculous prices for micro sd cards and newegg won't send it for a day or two. Can't wait.

[quote name='sotc1988']I am a total android virgin here but I've been craving a tablet recently and the rooted Nook Color running honeycomb looks to be an incredible value for how well it runs. Going out to best buy to pick it up today in a couple hours. Unfortunately I have to wait until friday or saturday to root the damn thing because I refuse to pay ridiculous prices for micro sd cards and newegg won't send it for a day or two. Can't wait.[/QUOTE]
Just so you know, you don't have to root it. You can just burn an Android build to a SD card and the NC will boot to it on startup. You can leave the internal stock ROM exactly as is.

Not to say you *shouldn't* flash the internal ROM, just saying if you want to play with Android ASAP, take an old microSD card, burn deeper-blue's honeycomb preview 04 to it, and go to town. It's the lazy way to play with Android.

[quote name='dothog']Just so you know, you don't have to root it. You can just burn an Android build to a SD card and the NC will boot to it on startup. You can leave the internal stock ROM exactly as is.

Not to say you *shouldn't* flash the internal ROM, just saying if you want to play with Android ASAP, take an old microSD card, burn deeper-blue's honeycomb preview 04 to it, and go to town. It's the lazy way to play with Android.[/QUOTE]

I read that you could burn a Honeycomb disk image to a micro sd card but I figured you would have at least had to root it first to do that. Pretty crazy how easy it is. I was going to root it following these instructions (http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting) and then work off a honeycombed sd card. I guess they still have a couple small things to iron out and I don't want to commit it to the internal ROM. Like I said, still a newbie but it seems very simple as long as I follow instructions.

[quote name='Clak']No he bought an Incredible.[/QUOTE]

That was incredibly stupid.

[quote name='Clak']

According to this though, Sprint is supposed to allow phones from other carriers under a settlement from 2007, but still doesn't.[/QUOTE]

Well.. this whole "exclusive" phones to one carrier shit was suppose to be "temporary" too... so...

zewone:

There's nothing in Gingerbread that is must have.

the only thing that comes close is the better markers for text editing.

now I need to find a way to force my EVO to roam on Verizon towers all the time, so Sprint kicks me out, ETF free

bread's done
Back