The Official Android thread.

Just found out that someone at Sprint tried to pocket some money from me last year. Wish I knew the guys name because I could tell Sprint and they could look into it. I don't even know if the guy is still there. I would know him if I seen him but don't see a point in going to the store and now that I know this I wont be. The guy told me it was 5 or 10 bucks I want to say 10 to pay my bill in cash. Found out from someone at another store that it is only 3 bucks.

Before that I was bullshited by someone at Best Buy. They told me even though I just signed my contract last August with Sprint I could get an early upgrade and get the Evo 3D for 299.99 and if I was having issues with my current phone I could get it for 199.99 however that was rare for that to happen. I would also have to talk to a Sprint rep for that. I asked her again to make sure I heard her right and she said yes then mumbled something and hung up on me. What I thought I heard was that a Sprint rep was there and I could talk to them. After all this I went to a Sprint store and they never heard of this.

So has anyone else had someone at Best Buy tell them this?

[quote name='sendme']Just found out that someone at Sprint tried to pocket some money from me last year. Wish I knew the guys name because I could tell Sprint and they could look into it. I don't even know if the guy is still there. I would know him if I seen him but don't see a point in going to the store and now that I know this I wont be. The guy told me it was 5 or 10 bucks I want to say 10 to pay my bill in cash. Found out from someone at another store that it is only 3 bucks.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure about this, but if it was a re-seller they might tack on a fee themselves. I used to work at a Verizon re-seller store, so they were not part of corporate and couldn't do everything a corporate store could do, and had a lot of their own policies and games to screw people over. I seem to remember the fee for paying in store was the same as the corporate store, but I could be wrong, and that would explain the difference in cost.

If nothing else you could just go to that store and ask someone the cost, and if it's different than the other store's fee, ask why.

The guy I talked to yesterday said both stores are the same and that the fee is the same. He was shocked when I told him how much they wanted to charge and that's when he said it was only 3 bucks. I think he did say both stores are a re-seller.

Sprint sucks. If you can, switch to Verizon. Since I made the change, my rates don't just randomly fluctuate monthly (I was constantly getting nonsense charges for texts I never made/received, tax charges going up and down, etc), I don't get any more cold calls from Sprint asking if my family members are happy with their cellular plans, and I've not had one single issue with their service. In fact, I don't even know how good their CS is because I've never had to call and complain lol.

It's so nice having a carrier that every month I know exactly what to expect and my fee has always been the same.

[quote name='Jodou']Sprint sucks. If you can, switch to Verizon. Since I made the change, my rates don't just randomly fluctuate monthly (I was constantly getting nonsense charges for texts I never made/received, tax charges going up and down, etc), I don't get any more cold calls from Sprint asking if my family members are happy with their cellular plans, and I've not had one single issue with their service. In fact, I don't even know how good their CS is because I've never had to call and complain lol.

It's so nice having a carrier that every month I know exactly what to expect and my fee has always been the same.[/QUOTE]

Verizon is expensive but has the best coverage IMO. I actually prefer AT&T's customer service though.

My bill is about the same every month. It has been 89.xx for months now unless I have bought apps. Unless I can get a plan with unlimited everything other than land line minutes, I have used maybe 2 hours worth in 8 months, for the same or less I don't plan on switching unless sprint gets worse.

I have had Verizon since 2006, have not had any problems with it that would need to call about. Only one time I was unhappy with them, was last year when the Incredible came out. I went into the store for a pre-order and the store manager told me I would have the phone within three days.

Long story short, time went by and store manager avoid my calling and questioning when I did get a hold of him he said he didn't have time for me and hung up on me. Then called Verizon district manager he said that the store manager shouldn't have told me a date(because phone was backordered and verizon had no idea on shipments) and apologized for the managers unacceptable behavior and that he would be promptly dealing with it. So the store manager had to take some kind of customer appreciation class or something. Got my phone 3 weeks to the day later.

That was the only problem for me.

[quote name='sendme']My bill is about the same every month. It has been 89.xx for months now unless I have bought apps. Unless I can get a plan with unlimited everything other than land line minutes, I have used maybe 2 hours worth in 8 months, for the same or less I don't plan on switching unless sprint gets worse.[/QUOTE]

I got a discount when i renewed so it will be $70 a mo. I have the shittyest reception most of the time but, i'd rather have it that way then paying $89 again.

Also, having the ability to do my txting on my transformer via google voice ftw!

I was looking for new plans online last night and at best it seems like I would pay 10 bucks more than what I am now.

Also is anyone else having issues with their EVO 4G after the gingerbread update? I have been reading that a lot of people are and ones that have been able to get a new phone have had no issues with it. Sprint told me the issues will be fixed soon and that all are due to the update. Just seems odd that some people have posted online saying they were able to get new phones and every thing that didn't work does on the new one.

Bad thing is from what I understand if you have a leaked version of 2.3 and are rooted that was the best way to go. Everything still works and you get gingerbread.

After going to the Sprint store and them taking off the task killers that I was told to put on when I got the phone Sence still crashes. I think I'm going to go back to them today and bitch about it again. Might just go to Best Buy and talk to them.

I'd really like to smack some of the sales people that keep telling everyone to install those damn task killers. They always cause trouble, but they keep telling everyone to use them.

Can anyone recommend a good android tracker app? I've played around with Prey for the laptop and it's neat, but i've also tried seek droid. It would be nice to be able to take a picture of the person who eventually swipes my phone since it has a front facing camera. I'm sure with kids being tech savy, they will know how to disable the GPS just like that but I need to figure out how to lock my google marketplace account to prevent someone from buying a shit load of apps if it gets swiped. With no real good cases for it available, I am stuck with the shitty rocket fish case BB sold me (for the Samsung Charge).

[quote name='ITDEFX']Can anyone recommend a good android tracker app? I've played around with Prey for the laptop and it's neat, but i've also tried seek droid. It would be nice to be able to take a picture of the person who eventually swipes my phone since it has a front facing camera. I'm sure with kids being tech savy, they will know how to disable the GPS just like that but I need to figure out how to lock my google marketplace account to prevent someone from buying a shit load of apps if it gets swiped. With no real good cases for it available, I am stuck with the shitty rocket fish case BB sold me (for the Samsung Charge).[/QUOTE]

How is seekdroid? I see it's free on Amazon App store for a few days now.

I've been using Lookout for about a year or so and its pretty good.
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.lookout
I haven't had my phone stolen yet, though. :)
I don't think it can take pic with front facing camera, but maybe they will add that in an update?

EDIT: looks like this app will take a pic with front facing camera using facial recognition to protect your apps
https://market.android.com/details?id=visidon.AppLock

I found the link here: http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/0...ndroid-apps-from-the-last-2-weeks-6311-61711/

Thanks for the links..

Seekdroid is as you mentioned free for today and tomorrow.
It seems very basic compared to Prey. I tried disabling wifi and data from the phone and it wasn't able to locate the phone ...which is something that can easily be disabled.

[quote name='Sinistar']How is seekdroid? I see it's free on Amazon App store for a few days now.

I don't think it can take pic with front facing camera, but maybe they will add that in an update?

EDIT: looks like this app will take a pic with front facing camera using facial recognition to protect your apps

I found the link here: http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/0...ndroid-apps-from-the-last-2-weeks-6311-61711/[/QUOTE]

So the Droid Bionic is rumored to hit July 6th. I think that's the next phone I'm going to go for, assuming Verizon allows me to upgrade early if I bitch enough.

I've had a sprint family plan for over a year now and the bill's never been any different from a month to month basis so I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

That being said our phones are giant turds. I've got the htc hero and my wife has the samsung moment. I'm trying to decide if the Evo3d is worth the upgrade or if I should just go with the orignal EVO which is only $100. Either way it's going to seem like a massive upgrade compared to our shit phones that barely work. If it was just for me I would probably grab the evo3d but since I need to upgrade my wifes phone as well I definitely wouldn't mind paying $200 for two phones instead of $360 for the evo3d's

[quote name='Clak']I'd really like to smack some of the sales people that keep telling everyone to install those damn task killers. They always cause trouble, but they keep telling everyone to use them.[/QUOTE]

I have plan B on mine. I have yet to use it but it is from the same people that make lookout.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.lookout.labs.planb

[quote name='Sinistar']How is seekdroid? I see it's free on Amazon App store for a few days now.

I found the link here: http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/0...ndroid-apps-from-the-last-2-weeks-6311-61711/[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting about seekdroid. I need to find an app that lists all free content on the amazon appstore that is usually paid apps. If it is not part of the free app a day I wont know about it unless someone posts about it being free. I'm a sucker for anything free.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']I've had a sprint family plan for over a year now and the bill's never been any different from a month to month basis so I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

That being said our phones are giant turds. I've got the htc hero and my wife has the samsung moment. I'm trying to decide if the Evo3d is worth the upgrade or if I should just go with the orignal EVO which is only $100. Either way it's going to seem like a massive upgrade compared to our shit phones that barely work. If it was just for me I would probably grab the evo3d but since I need to upgrade my wifes phone as well I definitely wouldn't mind paying $200 for two phones instead of $360 for the evo3d's[/QUOTE]

If you go evo4g make sure it has Gingerbread installed on it out of the box. Them are the only ones that I have read about not having a lot of issues. All that have been updated OTA have issues but out of box some are able to run Netflix from what I have been reading.

Mine Sense seems to crash a lot. More so now that I have widegetlocker installed.

I forgot the site but an article was posted about upgrading from the 4G to the 3D. What little I read it didn't seem like it was worth it.

Anyone else that uses widgetlocker on their EVO have sense crash on them?

Kinda sucks that not all phones are compatible with some of these apps :| Oh well I was kinda expecting this on an android vs an Iphone. Shelves is a pretty neat BR/Game organizer...it has some quarks to it, but over all it's neat with it's batch bar code scanning. Is there anything similar or better (even paid?)

[quote name='sendme']I have plan B on mine. I have yet to use it but it is from the same people that make lookout.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.lookout.labs.planb

Thanks for posting about seekdroid. I need to find an app that lists all free content on the amazon appstore that is usually paid apps. If it is not part of the free app a day I wont know about it unless someone posts about it being free. I'm a sucker for anything free.

If you go evo4g make sure it has Gingerbread installed on it out of the box. Them are the only ones that I have read about not having a lot of issues. All that have been updated OTA have issues but out of box some are able to run Netflix from what I have been reading.

Mine Sense seems to crash a lot. More so now that I have widegetlocker installed.

I forgot the site but an article was posted about upgrading from the 4G to the 3D. What little I read it didn't seem like it was worth it. But then again I don't care quite as much about a powerhouse of a phone. I'd rather have a tablet with higher specs than a phone.

Anyone else that uses widgetlocker on their EVO have sense crash on them?[/QUOTE]

How can I tell if it has gingerbread as it's stock? Normally I'm up on tech but my hero was so shitty I just didn't care enough to root and keep up with it.

I could honestly care less about the 3d aspect, what was pulling me in was the dual core processor and the upgraded ram.

I was happy paying the price on the two 3D's but then I had $100 in gift cards to Amazon so it helped me eat the cost. After going back and forth fighting with amazon why their amazon wireless website doesn't accept their own gift cards I gave up and decided they aren't getting my business. "We launched amazon wireless to make it easier on the consumer" The hell you did, I used to be able to buy my phones directly from amazon.com with my gift cards so how is it making it easier on me by having an external site.

EDIT: On a similar note what do you guys think of the Nexus S? I see that's $100 also. I've read plenty of good reviews but I've had nothing but bad luck with Samsung.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='VipFREAK']^No Micro SD card Fail.

HTC > anything else[/QUOTE]

I used to think the same thing, except I've found I use the microsd card mostly for storing music, which Google Music takes care of for me. If you can still use the phone's storage like you would a phone with a microsd card, I don't think it's as big of a problem as it once was, as more and more items are being pushed to the cloud. In fact I think Google designed the phone with all of this in mind - they were probably hoping to have Google Music out sooner than it was, and able to say "We got rid of the microSD card because nearly everything is in the cloud!"

Would have preferred it to be there, but it's not a dealbreaker for me.

Has anyone tried "The Mighty Grocery shopping list"?
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mightypocket.grocery.full&feature=search_result

I think it's pretty cool as it gives me a good estimation of what my total will be before check out and taxes. The only two things I wish it had was a coupon tracker so when I scan the item it would pop up a window saying coupon found! the other thing I would like to see is some kind of real time price tracking based on your location, so if I am at shoppers food warehouse and buy something for 2.99, then the software can say walmart has it for 2.49 or something like that!

[quote name='doubledown']I have Mighty Grocery (it was FREE on Amazon App store) Haven't really used it yet. I need to do some extreme couponing like TLC show.[/QUOTE]

Yea that's another reason why I would like something that pops up with coupons when I scan it. Some of these coupon apps email them to you to be printed.

Well I got our EVO's today unfortunetly both have 2.2 and not 2.3 out of the box. I think I'll just hold off on updating till everything get's ironed out. What are the advantages to gingerbread over of 2.2 anyways?

[quote name='ITDEFX']Has anyone tried "The Mighty Grocery shopping list"?
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mightypocket.grocery.full&feature=search_result

I think it's pretty cool as it gives me a good estimation of what my total will be before check out and taxes. The only two things I wish it had was a coupon tracker so when I scan the item it would pop up a window saying coupon found! the other thing I would like to see is some kind of real time price tracking based on your location, so if I am at shoppers food warehouse and buy something for 2.99, then the software can say walmart has it for 2.49 or something like that![/QUOTE]

I use that app all the time, but I never get it any estimates at all of stuff before checkout and taxes.. It never sees the prices at all.. Do you have to enter them manually?

Also anyone tried this solar charger http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Solar-Charger-Built--Windshield/dp/B00449U3K0
Wonder how well these work for phones.. Thinking about getting one to take with me on my trip

[quote name='Sinistar']I use that app all the time, but I never get it any estimates at all of stuff before checkout and taxes.. It never sees the prices at all.. Do you have to enter them manually?

Also anyone tried this solar charger http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Solar-Charger-Built--Windshield/dp/B00449U3K0
Wonder how well these work for phones.. Thinking about getting one to take with me on my trip[/QUOTE]

Yea you have to enter them manually. I don't know about your state but it looks like they charge two types of taxes at a 5% and 2.5% rate. I can't find any option to make it know what to apply to which item so I might as well do 7.5% if I have a mixture of food and non food items. This app is making me realize how expensive things are getting :(

It would be nice to have some sort of image that ties into the UPC so I know I have the correct item...... it's not perfect but there are times where I get wonky results from a barcode scan.

I really hate the cube wall charger for the Droid Charge. Yea it's convenient but I can see myself losing that thing very easily when I travel. Are all Micro USB Chargers the same? if so time for a replacement.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']How can I tell if it has gingerbread as it's stock? Normally I'm up on tech but my hero was so shitty I just didn't care enough to root and keep up with it.

I could honestly care less about the 3d aspect, what was pulling me in was the dual core processor and the upgraded ram.

I was happy paying the price on the two 3D's but then I had $100 in gift cards to Amazon so it helped me eat the cost. After going back and forth fighting with amazon why their amazon wireless website doesn't accept their own gift cards I gave up and decided they aren't getting my business. "We launched amazon wireless to make it easier on the consumer" The hell you did, I used to be able to buy my phones directly from amazon.com with my gift cards so how is it making it easier on me by having an external site.

EDIT: On a similar note what do you guys think of the Nexus S? I see that's $100 also. I've read plenty of good reviews but I've had nothing but bad luck with Samsung.[/QUOTE]

Only way I know to tell is to look it up on the phone. It should say that it is 2.3. I really think the 3d was just added on to get it to sell. I would rather trade that for a 8 megapixel camera.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']How can I tell if it has gingerbread as it's stock? Normally I'm up on tech but my hero was so shitty I just didn't care enough to root and keep up with it.

EDIT: On a similar note what do you guys think of the Nexus S? I see that's $100 also. I've read plenty of good reviews but I've had nothing but bad luck with Samsung.[/QUOTE]

I've got my Evo 3d pre-ordered at Best Buy. I had the same opinion that it wasn't the 3d pulling me in but the ram and processor. My girlfriend got the Evo 4g because she didn't see any point in getting 3d. I tried to explain to her the other (and more important) differences between the 3d and the 4g but most girls just don't get technology.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I've got my Evo 3d pre-ordered at Best Buy. I had the same opinion that it wasn't the 3d pulling me in but the ram and processor. My girlfriend got the Evo 4g because she didn't see any point in getting 3d. I tried to explain to her the other (and more important) differences between the 3d and the 4g but most girls just don't get technology.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my wife doesn't understand any bit of technology either. When we went to the store today she wanted the nexus S on the fact that the wallpaper was moving alone.

Be sure to post back here with impressions on your 3d. I'm still considering returning my evo 4g within my 30 day period and grabbing that.

After doing a bit of reading I'm glad we ended up with our EVO 4g's being the 2.2 Since it seems not everything goes well even if they are shipped with 2.3 This way I can hold off and enjoy a problem free experience while I test out the phone.

I might call Sprint Thursday and see if I can't just get a new EVO. That way if I do get 2.2 I can root it and put Sense 3.0 on it and have a working 2.3. It is sad that all the roms out there with 2.3 work fine but the official update to 2.3 for the EVO is shit.

Just got an Xperia Play, and am in love with it ^_^.

Also glad i was able to lock in my Unlimited Plan with Verizon before they started ripping people off. (30$ a month for 2 gigs is a bit rediculous

[quote name='dgwillia006']Just got an Xperia Play, and am in love with it ^_^.

Also glad i was able to lock in my Unlimited Plan with Verizon before they started ripping people off. (30$ a month for 2 gigs is a bit rediculous

Uh...having a very strange issue out of nowhere.

For some reason whenever i try to USB Sync, it says "USB Device Not Recognized". Googled it and appareantly it is a pretty big issue.

Is there anyway to fix this issue? Or am i gonna have to get a new phone or something....

Just got into the Google music beta. I'm uploading all my music now and when I was setting it up I clicked on the free music options. I thought I would get full albums and music I like however I am getting artists I don't really care for and 1 maybe 2 songs from the ones I do. I'm trying to find a way to change this option so it does not look for the music for me. Anyone that is in the beta know how to turn off this option?

[quote name='dgwillia006']Uh...having a very strange issue out of nowhere.

For some reason whenever i try to USB Sync, it says "USB Device Not Recognized". Googled it and appareantly it is a pretty big issue.

Is there anyway to fix this issue? Or am i gonna have to get a new phone or something....[/QUOTE]

what phone?

[quote name='Clak']Supposedly those of us already on Verizon will be fine, even if we upgrade phones later. I'm curious if that includes 4G phones though, unlimited 4G is a little hard to believe.

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizons-new-data-plans-broken-down-complete-detail[/QUOTE]

4G is wonky in my area... I go from 4g to 3g to 1x randomly... I get 4g in my house but outside I get 3g...hmmm..

The question is with me getting less than 4g on my phone, will verizon beable to detect which I am using more 4g or 3g?

I am pretty sure that they are going to have some stupid plan in place when it comes down to upgrading the phone, saying that you will get the phone cheaper if you use less data (based on the last 2 years of your contract) vs if you are a data hog then you have to pay the full 300.

I am also predicting that Verizon will INCREASE the price of their phones past 300 dollars because of more dual core or even the quad core phones...geez do we really need a quad core phone?!?!?!

[quote name='Clak']Supposedly those of us already on Verizon will be fine, even if we upgrade phones later. I'm curious if that includes 4G phones though, unlimited 4G is a little hard to believe.

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizons-new-data-plans-broken-down-complete-detail[/QUOTE]

They'll have what, maybe a couple hundred thousand with unlimmited 4G? And out of those, how many will abuse it and go over the 2GB line anyway? Without constant video streaming or purchasing of media on your phone, it's really hard to get to 2GB unless you're tethering unauthorized.

[quote name='ITDEFX']4G is wonky in my area... I go from 4g to 3g to 1x randomly... I get 4g in my house but outside I get 3g...hmmm..

The question is with me getting less than 4g on my phone, will verizon beable to detect which I am using more 4g or 3g?

I am pretty sure that they are going to have some stupid plan in place when it comes down to upgrading the phone, saying that you will get the phone cheaper if you use less data (based on the last 2 years of your contract) vs if you are a data hog then you have to pay the full 300.

I am also predicting that Verizon will INCREASE the price of their phones past 300 dollars because of more dual core or even the quad core phones...geez do we really need a quad core phone?!?!?![/QUOTE]

Asking if you need quad core in your technology is like asking if you need a V8. Sure a 4 cylinder will get you to the market, but will you enjoy the experience as much?

[quote name='Anexanhume']They'll have what, maybe a couple hundred thousand with unlimmited 4G? And out of those, how many will abuse it and go over the 2GB line anyway? Without constant video streaming or purchasing of media on your phone, it's really hard to get to 2GB unless you're tethering unauthorized.[/QUOTE]

I think the biggest reason why I am not streaming video/music to my phone right now is because of the battery. I believe the only big data I have been streaming would probably be the google maps when using the Navigator program.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Asking if you need quad core in your technology is like asking if you need a V8. Sure a 4 cylinder will get you to the market, but will you enjoy the experience as much?[/QUOTE]

Again I see no need to get a quad/dual core phone at this time. The phone is pretty fast and pretty responsive. I don't do any 3-d gaming on it. If I want to do some gaming, then that's what my DSi is for.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Again I see no need to get a quad/dual core phone at this time. The phone is pretty fast and pretty responsive. I don't do any 3-d gaming on it. If I want to do some gaming, then that's what my DSi is for.[/QUOTE]

Its more than just gaming though. Its running any application on the phone will result in faster loading times. The phone's operation in general is going to be much more responsive. For example, I pulled this from an Evo 3d review

The EVO 4G had a start-up time of 74 seconds (!), while the EVO 3D had a much faster start-up time of 13.7 seconds.

Not that people turn off and restart their phones very often but 13 seconds is CRAZY fast start-up time for a smartphone.

Now just imagine that every time you load up google maps or your camera having to wait 1/2 or even 1/4 as long for the application to start. I'm not getting a dual core phone for playing games, I'm getting it so my time spent looking at loading or application start-up screens is dramatically decreased.

As for games (from the same review)...

With anti-aliasing off, the EVO 4G averaged 5.7 fps while the EVO 3D averaged 36.5 fps.

Sick, just sick

bread's done
Back