The Official Android thread.

It just kills me how many new streaming media services are being pushed, yet providers are also limiting data. It makes no sense. Wifi is available at lots of places, but not nearly everywhere. So what is the point of this stuff if you can't use it everywhere because you might go over your data allotment?

[quote name='Clak']It just kills me how many new streaming media services are being pushed, yet providers are also limiting data. It makes no sense. Wifi is available at lots of places, but not nearly everywhere. So what is the point of this stuff if you can't use it everywhere because you might go over your data allotment?[/QUOTE]

I thought the only provider limiting data is AT&T no?

[quote name='ITDEFX']what phone?[/QUOTE]

Xperia Play, but i think it was a PC issue. Did some scanning with Advance System Care 4, restarted my PC, and it worked like normal again

[quote name='elessar123']Verizon is starting in July.[/QUOTE]

WoW! I need to keep up with the news!

[quote name='Clak']Yep, Verizon is and I expect others to start eventually as well.[/QUOTE]

Guess im not moving from T-Mo than since i have a full year left and have no intentions of losing my data plan. That sucks for new customers.

Even if I were forced to change, I very much doubt I'd ever come close to a 2GB cap. I don't do texting, streaming, or much of anything other than updates and play games when I'm bored. It's just too bad they don't offer the cheap plans for smartphones, because I'm paying far more than need be. Thank god my company gets me a nice discount, otherwise I'd never have picked up a smartphone.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Again I see no need to get a quad/dual core phone at this time.[/QUOTE]

I now have a dual core tablet and a dual core phone. I'm happy. Helps for when multi tasking. Was d/l a bunch of video podcasts while streamin on tune in. Evo 3d did it all while my evo never finished all the downloads. My 7o well was a media player. My transformer does pretty much everything my laptop does.

So I got my Evo 3d this morning and I am absolutely amazed with this thing. There's little to no hanging when launching apps. For example, I launched Google Maps and it instantly loaded the map (both satellite and standard views) and my position.

The lock screen is pretty slick as well. There's a circle at the bottom that you flick up to unlock the screen to bring you to your home screen or you can set 4 different apps on the lock screen which can then be launched from the lock screen by just dragging them into that same circle.

The 3d is alright, like I said before it wasn't a selling point for me but the camera is kind of cool to play around with. I will say this about the dedicated camera button, it is excellent. You hold it down part way auto focus and then push it completely down to take the picture. Since it's on the top of the screen it's also much easier to take pictures. As far as using the camera button to launch the camera app, its not that useful because you need to hold it down for about 5 seconds which is probably longer than it would take if you just put the camera app on the home screen.

More overall first impressions are VERY positive though and this is by far the best phone I've owned. I still can't believe that 2 years ago I paid the exact same price for the piece of shit Palm Pre.

They basically did with the Tunderbolt. The only thing I don't like about either Evo phone, and it's just nit picking, but why do they put those circles around the buttons?

[quote name='Clak']They basically did with the Tunderbolt. The only thing I don't like about either Evo phone, and it's just nit picking, but why do they put those circles around the buttons?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, HTC might have EVO as a Sprint exclusive model line but there are very close phones on other carriers. For example, T-Mobile has the HTC Sensation which is also dual core but has less RAM. The Thunderbolt is similar to the Evo 4G but it is a single core processor so its not quite on the same level as the Evo 3D.

The 3D is a great hook to get the average user in on this phone; the under the hood performance is what brings in the techies.

had the weirdest thing happen to me this morning...while using the navigator program, the phone did a reboot without warning..took 3 mins to get back online then said something like "NO DATA FOUND"... my 3g/4g signal was gone and so was my voice bars... all apps and menus where gone....then about a minute later everything came back on line.

hmm...

[quote name='RedvsBlue']
The 3D is a great hook to get the average user in on this phone.[/QUOTE]

If you're featuring Seth Rogen and Green Hornet, then yah I suppose it's good since the movie is absolute garbage...

[quote name='VipFREAK']If you're featuring Seth Rogen and Green Hornet, then yah I suppose it's good since the movie is absolute garbage...[/QUOTE]

The movie's not just featured in the advertising for the 3D but they give you the 3D version of the movie free with the phone. Its still not worth it...

[quote name='Clak']Yep, Verizon is and I expect others to start eventually as well.[/QUOTE]

Afaict T-Mobile has tiered data plans in place right now. I don't think they auto charge you when you go over, just throttle the speed. I think sprints the only one holding out.

I was like wtf when they had Inception on a cell phone... Come on any geek knows how to rip and convert these videos to play on the cell...

I honestly was surprised that Inception was not in 3-d. Some of the scenes in the movie could have looked good in 3-d if done right.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I honestly was surprised that Inception was not in 3-d. Some of the scenes in the movie could have looked good in 3-d if done right.[/QUOTE]

Christopher Nolan isn't a very big fan of 3D. That's the reason he's not shooting Dark Knight Rises in 3D either. He loves filming in Imax though.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Christopher Nolan isn't a very big fan of 3D. That's the reason he's not shooting Dark Knight Rises in 3D either. He loves filming in Imax though.[/QUOTE]

And that's why I love Christopher Nolan. I can't stand the 3D craze and normally I'm cool with it because theaters still show the movies in 2D but I've noticed that lately there are only like one or two 2D showings a day and they put them on the shittiest screens at the theater.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Christopher Nolan isn't a very big fan of 3D. That's the reason he's not shooting Dark Knight Rises in 3D either. He loves filming in Imax though.[/QUOTE]

I know..I read an article about that awhile back......I think there was some pressure from the studio but he held them back...still that elevator hallway spinning scene in 3-d might have really made people sick lol.

I must say these apps are amazing. I'm getting very good feedback using Waze about the traffic mess on 495 where my gf has been stuck on for nearly 2 hrs! :(

Waze is good if you know the address of the place you want to go to. If you don't and just search for a name it can be a little confusing. At least with google maps you can see where the results are on the satellite overlay and be sure of which one it is you want to go to. If there is only one of the places within a city it's different, but if there are multiple locations it can be a bit confusing with waze.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I must say these apps are amazing. I'm getting very good feedback using Waze about the traffic mess on 495 where my gf has been stuck on for nearly 2 hrs! :([/QUOTE]

I've used Waze around town when driving and I didntt find it too useful with traffic, It didn't seem to help much on if there were any jams or not.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Yeah, HTC might have EVO as a Sprint exclusive model line but there are very close phones on other carriers. For example, T-Mobile has the HTC Sensation which is also dual core but has less RAM. The Thunderbolt is similar to the Evo 4G but it is a single core processor so its not quite on the same level as the Evo 3D.

The 3D is a great hook to get the average user in on this phone; the under the hood performance is what brings in the techies.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to hold out for another 6 months for them to announce the EVO 4G+. It is the same as the 3D but with a 8 megapixel camera and no 3D. Then I will be able to get the phone I want and not have all that 3D bullshit with it.

[quote name='sendme']I'm going to hold out for another 6 months for them to announce the EVO 4G+. It is the same as the 3D but with a 8 megapixel camera and no 3D. Then I will be able to get the phone I want and not have all that 3D bullshit with it.[/QUOTE]

An easy way to avoid the 3d on the EVO 3d? Don't use it, it's not like it's required for use at all.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']An easy way to avoid the 3d on the EVO 3d? Don't use it, it's not like it's required for use at all.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's essentially a HTC sensation (same SoC, different radios) plus 3D, which is completely optional.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']An easy way to avoid the 3d on the EVO 3d? Don't use it, it's not like it's required for use at all.[/QUOTE]

No but I want an 8 megapixel camera and not a 5. That is the issue I have with it. The 3d doesn't bother me and would be buying it if the camera was 8 and not 5.

Honestly it's a camera on a phone, quality isn't gonna be great no matter what you do. If you're worried about that then buy a good camera.

I agree...that is the general misconception about megapixels on cameras. Everyone seems to think higher is better, but in theory, it's not. Basically, do you plan on blowing any of the pictures up to 8x10's? If so, get a real camera.

[quote name='Clak']Honestly it's a camera on a phone, quality isn't gonna be great no matter what you do. If you're worried about that then buy a good camera.[/QUOTE]

Some cameras might surprise you. The 8 MP camera on the new nokia N9 is ace, for example. That same lens should make its way into Sea Ray (their first WP7 device) when they launch it later this year.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Some cameras might surprise you. The 8 MP camera on the new nokia N9 is ace, for example. That same lens should make its way into Sea Ray (their first WP7 device) when they launch it later this year.[/QUOTE]

Ive yet to see a phone camera as good as the 8mp one on the Thunderbolt. It is stunning how nice it is. It makes the 8mp from the Inc/Evo look like disposable pictures.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Some cameras might surprise you. The 8 MP camera on the new nokia N9 is ace, for example. That same lens should make its way into Sea Ray (their first WP7 device) when they launch it later this year.[/QUOTE]Still, if you're that worried about the camera, get a camera. Since Nokia is slowly dieing anyway I doubt too many people will ever get to experience that camera.

Both megapixels and the lens matter.

Up to a certain point, the megapixel matters a lot more. A 0.3 MP (640x480) needs no good lense. A 14 MP is outperformed by an 11 MP easily if the latter has a good lens, on the reverse.

Saying MP is pointless is stupid in itself. A 14 MP camera will still blow an 8 MP camera away, if the lens are equal. Same, going to a 20 MP.

I know it is a camera on a phone and to not expect much but what I have taken with my EVO when the lens didn't have a fingerprint on it have been nice. Sure I'm not going to get large pictures at high quality out of it. I'm not going to have a camera with me at all times however I will have my phone and that's good enough for me. The digital zoom sucks and to take pictures of something in the distance I would want an optical zoom so at times I will want a camera. I just get the feeling that the camera on the 3D is a downgrade from the one on the 4G.

The Samsung Galaxy S II looks pretty sweet. By chance has anyone here imported one (or lives in a country where it's out)?

It looks like it's coming to Verizon, AT&T and Sprint in July. I may finally take the plunge if the US version reviews just as well as the current version (i.e. Verizon doesn't cripple it some how).

Look for it to probably have Bing if it's on Verizon. Unless they actually treat this one with respect and don't treat it like it's the inferior shit product they carry. They seem to reserve Bing for phones they don't really care about, which is usually the non Droid branded line. It is a great phone though, even the first is, it's just that U.S. Carriers, and especially Verizon in this case, load them with so much crap. There is also the issue of updates, which scares me because my Galaxy S (Fascinate on Verizon) took forever just to get Froyo. You can blame Samsung or Verizon for that, I blame Verizon because the international version gets updates pretty often, U.S. carriers just seem to slow things to a crawl.

That's that I'm worried about.

Reviews tend to say it's the best Android phone, and some even rate it better than the iPhone--but I'm worried Verizon will screw it up somehow.

Guess I'll just have to wait until it's out and see what reviews and impressions say. I'm not really looking to buy before August anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='elessar123']Both megapixels and the lens matter.

Up to a certain point, the megapixel matters a lot more. A 0.3 MP (640x480) needs no good lense. A 14 MP is outperformed by an 11 MP easily if the latter has a good lens, on the reverse.

Saying MP is pointless is stupid in itself. A 14 MP camera will still blow an 8 MP camera away, if the lens are equal. Same, going to a 20 MP.[/QUOTE]

The problem is that the size of the phone necessarily limits the size, and thus, quality of the lens and sensor that the camera can have. That's why MP alone is the biggest selling factor for a phone, regardless of how good the lens and sensor is (specifically, the surface area of the sensor per pixel).

Just got an Asus Transformer - my work actually bought it for me! My boss had mentioned previously that he was thinking about picking one up for me, and I argued that it just won't be that great a boost of productivity, but he still bought one.

It's practically mine while I work here, so it's pretty exciting. Hopefully I can get some real work done with it (mostly might be nice for meetings and stuff I guess).

bread's done
Back