The Official Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Thread - 11/5/07 - NP: 9.5; IGN: 8.0; 1up: 9.0

botticus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
Rumors and News Tidbits

Confirmed 11/5 Release!

News
New name! Goddess of Dawn no longer, Radiant Dawn will be the official name on this side of the Pacific.

Path of Radiance bonus - If you have a completed game save from Path of Radiance, the playable characters who return in this game will start with the stats they ended with in your game (above a certain level - so they won't be downgraded if you didn't level them up).

Fact Sheet (has some spoilers):
- 16:9 widescreen support added for North American Release
- Battle-Save - It is now possible to have a permanent save mid-battle, making things a little less stressful for Fire Emblem noobs.

Hands-On

http://wii.ign.com/articles/767/767088p1.html
http://www.gamespot.com/wii/rpg/fireemblem/news.html?sid=6166455

Videos

E3 07 Trailer:
http://gametrailers.com/player/21556.html

Game Intro:
http://kotaku.com/gaming/clips/clip-fire-emblem-intro-239345.php

Preview:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?type=mov&id=17640

First Chapter:
http://www.siliconera.com/index.php/2007/03/09/hands-on-fire-emblem-goddess-of-dawns-first-battle/

sweet! I beat the game like 3 times sooo... ya and thankfully my other memory card was the one that was corrupted and I lost everything, but the one with POR and a couple of my other GC games was in the uncorrupted one. I wonder what it'll be...I'm guessing extra playable characters, weapons or maps.

Hmm...maybe i should start playing and beat fire emblem path of radiance soon,so i can get a slight advantage on next fire emblem game.I never really took advantage memory card or cart bonus like lunar knights or advance wars.The only game that took advantage of that save feature functionis suikoden series with uber main character from previous series.

ill have to beat it before it comes out. i stopped playing halfway through because i kept having someone die in a battle and it pissed me off to no end. and then i got caught up with something else.

[quote name='The Crotch']Damn, I was really hoping they would include PoR (it's not like that sort of thing's never happened before - Rogue Squadron III, Wind Waker, etc.).[/quote]

What free games came in Wind Waker and Rogue Squadron? Or are you referring to the pre-order bonus discs? Sorry, I'm a little out of the loop on this one.

Anyway, I've got my Path of Radiance cleared saves still on my memory card so I should be all ready for the bonus. :bouncy:

Whoa... Where the hell did all this news come from and how come I missed it all? I didn't know it was ever rumored to have PoR in it. Not only that, I never heard it was called "Goddess of Dawn". :rofl:.

Well, beyond Lego Star Wars II I've never made use of a previous game save, so that will be nice. I should find a cheap small GC save card and copy the FE save over to use in the Wii though - would hate to have to switch the cards back and forth all the time (kids still play GC frequently and I don't want to wear down the Wii with all that).

Interesting that the Wii has access to the GC saves though - I always heard it was separate hardware within the Wii and figured the two couldn't communicate in any way beyond the Wii starting up the GC hardware. The question is what level of info is available to the Wii from the GC saves - just their existence or the actual data within them? (Thus you either just get some bonus for having a save or possibly a more detailed bonus like previous characters - though they do say "completed save" so that points to content).

Hmm... Maybe I'll play my PoR again then. I never finished it because it got boring (or tedious, I forgot which) after 10 maps or so.

[quote name='io']
Interesting that the Wii has access to the GC saves though - I always heard it was separate hardware within the Wii and figured the two couldn't communicate in any way beyond the Wii starting up the GC hardware. The question is what level of info is available to the Wii from the GC saves - just their existence or the actual data within them? (Thus you either just get some bonus for having a save or possibly a more detailed bonus like previous characters - though they do say "completed save" so that points to content).[/quote]Keep in mind that you can use GC controllers for Wii games, so the interface is definitely there. I doubt Nintendo is doing much to broadcast it to third-parties, but it exists.

I'm not hoping for anything huge, but it would be cool if they gave you like a bonus chapter connecting the two games, since the real time between the two is pretty short. But it'll probably just be a bonus cutscene or weapon or something :p

[quote name='io']Whoa... Where the hell did all this news come from and how come I missed it all? I didn't know it was ever rumored to have PoR in it. Not only that, I never heard it was called "Goddess of Dawn". :rofl:.

Well, beyond Lego Star Wars II I've never made use of a previous game save, so that will be nice. I should find a cheap small GC save card and copy the FE save over to use in the Wii though - would hate to have to switch the cards back and forth all the time (kids still play GC frequently and I don't want to wear down the Wii with all that).

Interesting that the Wii has access to the GC saves though - I always heard it was separate hardware within the Wii and figured the two couldn't communicate in any way beyond the Wii starting up the GC hardware. The question is what level of info is available to the Wii from the GC saves - just their existence or the actual data within them? (Thus you either just get some bonus for having a save or possibly a more detailed bonus like previous characters - though they do say "completed save" so that points to content).[/QUOTE]

The Wii seems aware of the GameCube peripherals, given that Cube controllers work on the VC and you can access memory cards from the Wii menu. It seems, rather, that the "GameCube" is not aware of the Wii.

I'm looking forward to this, it just came out in japan today (02/22).

I still can't understand the logic of Nintendo to deny us import games out of the box, all these good Japanese games that will never make it stateside.

My Japanese isn't that good, but there's a lot of games that are playable with basic knowledge.

Us importers are forced to find workaround so we can play our BOUGHT import games...that makes me mad...

[quote name='joshofstl']The Wii seems aware of the GameCube peripherals, given that Cube controllers work on the VC and you can access memory cards from the Wii menu. It seems, rather, that the "GameCube" is not aware of the Wii.[/QUOTE]

I was aware of the GC controllers working for the VC games, but I thought that was the exception. I did not know about the GC memory cards being accessed from the Wii menu. In fact, I thought you couldn't do that? Well, anyway, I've never tried any Gamecube stuff except to play one GC game on it just to see if it worked ;). And I always use the Classic Controller for VC.

Anyway, FE is out in Japan already? Seems like we hear so little about it, that seems strange. I guess there's no Wi-Fi player vs player battles then. Too bad - I was so looking forward to whipping Botticus ;).

[quote name='io']I was aware of the GC controllers working for the VC games, but I thought that was the exception. I did not know about the GC memory cards being accessed from the Wii menu. In fact, I thought you couldn't do that? Well, anyway, I've never tried any Gamecube stuff except to play one GC game on it just to see if it worked ;). And I always use the Classic Controller for VC.

Anyway, FE is out in Japan already? Seems like we hear so little about it, that seems strange. I guess there's no Wi-Fi player vs player battles then. Too bad - I was so looking forward to whipping Botticus ;).[/quote]Ha!

And I don't think there's much need to worry about this coming to the US. I'd be shocked if it didn't. I just won't expect it till fall at the earliest.

Darn the half humans are back... I hated those things in PoR. Well I guess since its a sequel not much else could be expected...but I was hoping for maybe a mass destruction or something xD

Wow, can't believe no one posted this yet - IGN's hands-on impressions of the Japanese version:

Wow, it really is a sequel in every way to FE:poR. Sounds like it was going to be a Gamecube title originally. Well, as much as I loved PoR, I think I'll probably wait for a price drop on this one, especially as I have no source of cheap preorders any more (got PoR for $30 at release using the GR preorder deal). It is a bit harder to justify a full $50 for this. I'll get it for sure at some point. Of course, watch this one hold it's value unlike PoR which I could have gotten multiple times for $15 or less (the most recent being $8, new, of course). By the time this hits, anyway, there should be a pretty healthy lineup of other Wii games out.

[quote name='io']Wow, can't believe no one posted this yet - IGN's hands-on impressions of the Japanese version:

Wow, it really is a sequel in every way to FE:poR. Sounds like it was going to be a Gamecube title originally. Well, as much as I loved PoR, I think I'll probably wait for a price drop on this one, especially as I have no source of cheap preorders any more (got PoR for $30 at release using the GR preorder deal). It is a bit harder to justify a full $50 for this. I'll get it for sure at some point. Of course, watch this one hold it's value unlike PoR which I could have gotten multiple times for $15 or less (the most recent being $8, new, of course). By the time this hits, anyway, there should be a pretty healthy lineup of other Wii games out.[/quote]I tend to agree, but since I do still have a source for cheap preorders, EB will have it for me. The fact that it's harder and longer (44 chapters compared to 28) than Path of Radiance seals it as a launch day purchase. I'm bummed they didn't Wii-ify it at all, but I'll hope for pointer action in the next one.

I'll just go ahead and make this the official thread just for fun. And then resurrect it in a few months when we get word of a US release.

And for good measure, here's the game intro:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/clips/clip-fire-emblem-intro-239345.php

44 CHAPTERS??? SWEET!!! I read it quickly so I missed the "4 sets of 10 chapters each with a different story" part. Day one purchase for me as well... I think I'll get a Wii when this comes out. fire emblem is the best series ever!!!... gunna start on hard... wonder if I could take on maniac. This would be my 5th FE...but I doubt it lol

Oh and dang that intro rocked....I'm guessing that's Mist there...don't know who the assassin could be...maybe Volke? Nah...

[quote name='Spades22']44 CHAPTERS??? SWEET!!! I read it quickly so I missed the "4 sets of 10 chapters each with a different story" part. Day one purchase for me as well... I think I'll get a Wii when this comes out. fire emblem is the best series ever!!!... gunna start on hard... wonder if I could take on maniac. This would be my 5th FE...but I doubt it lol

Oh and dang that intro rocked....I'm guessing that's Mist there...don't know who the assassin could be...maybe Volke? Nah...[/quote]The assassin is Sothe. So I guess being the main character, he'll be less worthless than he was in PoR.

Awesome, Sothe could have been an awesome character and I was excited when I got him, but he turned out to be basically useless.

Anyone have any more info or links on this game? I'm more excited for this than anything right now...even smash bros xD

Just saw a bunch of videos of this on gametrailers. I don't have a Wii yet, since nothing interests me at this point, but I'll probably pick one up when this releases since it was one of my favorite titles on the GC.

Damn, I've never played fire emblem or really paid any attention to it. I'll have to pick up PoR and then get GoD sometime down the line.

[quote name='The Crotch']Has Sothe been confirmed as the main character? If so, I believe this is the first time an FE game has had a non-Lord protagonist.[/quote]I'll try to dig it up somewhere. From what I recall, it was the same source that said it would have 44 chapters (which is pretty much confirmed by the "4 parts with around 10 chapters each)."

But yeah, I was just thinking that should make things rather interesting, given that playing an assassin is much different than a Lord. Which might also explain the increased difficulty.

I'm spoilering the following just because there's a ton of stuff that people may or may not want to know. Main characters for the parts are confirmed (definitely not a Lord):
  • The Wii remote, Classic controller and Gamecube controller can be used.
  • Path of Radiance will not be included with the game.
  • The game is 44 chapters long.
  • The game will last around 40-50 hours.
  • The game has the same difficulty modes as FE9 (i.e Normal, Hard and Maniac), and there is a Tutorial.
  • The game will be split into 4 parts.
  • The second part focuses on the Kingdom of Crimea, with Elincia being the main character. Lucia and Geoffrey are revealed to be some of her companions. Meanwhile, Micaiah and Sothe are both confirmed as main characters of the first part (which focuses on the Dawn Group).
  • The Opening movie has a "Lord of the Rings" feel to it.
  • It seems Gallia and Begnion are at war.
  • Micaiah is the main character, although it may change later on in the game.
  • Sothe is Micaiah's younger brother.
  • Micaiah can speak the Galldr.
  • Micaiah's bird's name is Yune.
  • As reported, there are twelve weapons listed. It has been confirmed that there is really only one new weapon. Dark magic. The other 2 weapons with weapon levels are knives and strike. Knives was considered new because it can now level up. And if the speculation that strike is when laguz attack physically in human form and uses their claws/beaks in laguz form is true, then that isn't anything new, but strike hasn't been delved into well enough yet for us to know, hence it be purely speculation at the moment.
  • It seems staves can be used to fight with, though it is not officially confirmed.
  • While Wind, Thunder, and Fire are separate magic types, the anima triangle has been taken out. It seems to have gone back to the GBA FE triangle. (Light > Dark > Anima > Light)
  • Weapons generally have higher uses now.
  • Leadership is back. For those who don't know, Leadership is the amount of bonus that character gives to characters of the same affiliation (usually reserved for important members of the group) and Leader is the leader of the group.
  • Affiliation is back. For those who don't know, Affiliation is the group that the character belongs to and leader is the leader of the group.
  • Partner support appears to be an extra type of support- perhaps similar to the critical-boosting bonus provided by siblings or close friends in Path of Radiance.
  • Biorhythm is back.
  • There will new Laguz types, with Wolf Laguz being added.
  • Most characters have 15 Capacity, while Sothe apparently has 30.
  • Characters can now hold a maximum of seven weapons or items, like in FE4/5.
  • It seems height only affects movement. However, the exact details are said to be unknown.
  • Many said that the game would revolve around Terrain more often. It looks like they were talking about Terrain Affinities.
    View of a Map
    View of a Map 2
    The top-right corner of thee screen, Terrain properties are located there, just like in FE9. But... notice that they have an affinity image there. Map 1 above shows the Heaven Affinity, and Map 2 shows the earth Affinity.
  • Ike probably will appear (there was no definite answer, though).
  • Zelgius is making a return. You may actually get to learn something about his character this time.
  • The Queen of the wolf laguz's name is Nike, hailing from the Desert of Death to the east of Tellius.
  • There is a heron prince that isn't Reyson. So far all we really know about him is him name-- Rafiel.
  • Some character classes have been confirmed.
    • Sothe - Rogue (kanji reads thief)
    • Micaiah - Light Mage
    • Elincia - Queen Crimea
    • Geoffrey - Glory Knight (the kanji reads something like "Lance Riding General"
      16x16_smiley-wink.gif
    • Lucia - Swordmaster
  • Eddie is mentioned as a swordfighter (Myrmidon), but whether that is referring to his class or his type of weapon is difficult to tell.
  • There are also some new skills.
    • Healing Hand- the user can sacrifice some of their HP to heal an ally. Micaiah has this skill.
    • Protection- the user can choose an ally to take damage for. Sothe has this skill.
    • Shove- same as in Path of Radiance, but now a skill. All units seem to have this skill.
  • Chapter 1 is set in Nevassa and you only have Micaiah and Eddie, with Leonard joining a bit later.
  • Chapter 3 is the chapter seen in the Gamevideos movie, taking place at Kisuka village. Noyce and Laura are controllable, with Sothe appearing later on.
http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/message?board.id=firemblem&message.id=218950

Hmm I'll have to refresh myself with some of those location names...I remember the characters pretty good. Anyway do you know if there's Mercenaries > Heroes in this one? And it's too bad they went back to the GBA magic method...I liked PoR's.

Yessss no bonus exp. I'm glad cause for some crazy reason in FE games I'm a mad perfectionist...so I'd always spend time getting my characters to like 80% exp then use the rest on bonus and not use them for the rest of the map...that way I could keep resetting and trying till they got awesome level ups. This will make it a lot easier, since I'm not crazy enough to restart a map at the end just for a better level up lol.

And ya I suggest the GBA games anyway... the first FE for GBA is probably my favorite along with PoR. Actually they're all awesome...play em all!! XD Oh and play the one with Roy as a kid as well (You can get that on rom with some english thing)

If I'm lucky, it'll come out around the TRU b2g1 sale like PoR, as I must get this(just not at full price unless bonus included).

Thanks for the updates botticus.

Nah watching FE games sucks...its playing them that rocks. Anyway that preview vid was sweet....6-18 months though is a pretty big span....a year and a half away would bite >

[quote name='Spades22']Nah watching FE games sucks...its playing them that rocks. Anyway that preview vid was sweet....6-18 months though is a pretty big span....a year and a half away would bite >

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I want this so bad, but GS has Path of Radiance for 14.99 new/12.99 used. Its really hard to make a $50 purchase under those circumstances.[/quote]You haven't played PoR yet? Or are you implying that GoD will be $14.99/$12.99 soon enough? It's probably true, but I can't not buy it as soon as I have gaming time free.

I am seriously more stoked for this game than any other right now. I know it's bizarre, but I love the Fire Emblem.

Hmmm... Normally I would have waited on this sucker (for at least a $30 price), but with the EB/GR trade-in deal and the MtR and TMNT I have sitting here... I'm very tempted - wonder if EB/GS will have it for preorder tomorrow with the release date being announced today.

I'll update the OP with some of the key info tomorrow, but the fact sheet was released today.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=23988

Quick key points:

-16:9 supported added for NA release

-Battle save - permanent mid-battle save now available (I expect only the weak to use this option; the time-constrained will have the suspend option as always)

Some new details from Nintendo Power:

- New weapons, skills, spells
- Two evolutions for each character class (this could be awesome)
- Bigger battle maps with varying elevations
- New (to the NA release) intermissions to further flesh out the story

Further detail on importing Path of Radiance saves:
... you can transfer your Path of Radiance save data to preserve any A-level support bonuses you've established between returning characters.

I definitely want this game .. but I'll probably wait for either a sale or some sort of price drop with so many good games coming out November/December.

[quote name='The Crotch']Attn: Everyone.

If you do not buy Fire Emblem 10 as soon as it is available, future generations will look back on this as the single greatest failing of the century. Alien historians will recognize this as the exact moment when human civilization begins its tragic decline, as though we as a species had jumped the shark.[/quote]

:applause:

I was trying to decide between this or BWii on release, but seeing as I don't want to start the decline of human civilization, I'll go with this.

bread's done
Back