the OFFICIAL Okami thread

[quote name='eau']How was the preorder bonus gift? Any good?[/quote]
I got pics on page six of the thead. But to save you the trouble... http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2210414&postcount=114

[quote name='Z-Saber']Umm... did you notice her completely visible and uncensored ASS?
[/quote] I know I did. I had to do a double take then I was like "Lol, why is my girl's ass hanging out like that. That's real cute Clover. I see why this game earned a T rating."

[quote name='FurryCurry']I got pics on page six of the thead. But to save you the trouble... http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2210414&postcount=114

I know I did. I had to do a double take then I was like "Lol, why is my girl's ass hanging out like that. That's real cute Clover. I see why this game earned a T rating."[/QUOTE]

that ass is actually just a pic of a peach... if you angle it it's flat, unlike her breasts. science is amazig.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']that ass is actually just a pic of a peach... if you angle it it's flat, unlike her breasts. science is amazig.[/QUOTE]

ha, I didn't notice that. funny stuff.

I noticed something... I'll have to go back and see since I was just letting Ammy sit still while I stare at the wind with my eyes bleeding... I'm still surprised at how much I enjoy watching the subtle envionrment effects and detail. I still gawk when I feed animals. These are the reasons why I still haev faith in gaming.

probably what Killer 7 did for me in terms of gaming plots was amazing, and okami is on that same level but graphicly.

I do the same thing :) It's fun setting up shots like that, since there are so many beautiful places to hang out. I think one of my favorite things is the textured water color paper background. that puts it over the edge of "water color graphics" to moving painting.

I'd have to agree about it being better than Zelda and with Durand Pierre that BG+E is better than Zelda as well. Of course the Zelda games are great, but the gameplay for the 3-D versions is still pretty much the same as it has been... Nostalgia is a big drive for the series and I just don't buy into it. I'm hoping TP changes that big time.

Zero interest in Okami has now skyrocketed to 100%.. geez, thanks a lot.. I'm trying not to purchase new games... :whistle2:( but with the trade 3 for $10 deal, I'm sure I can find some fodder to get $30 plus the $10 for this.. I just want you to know I hate you all... [translation: I'm glad the word of mouth has been so good, I'll get this right away :whistle2:D]

[quote name='jasonlives13']What the hell am I supposed to offer those statues? Issun says I should offer something but I don't know what.[/quote]

Same dilemia. I'm like "Dude, I have money, food, bitches, painting techniques. Tell me something Issun!"
Issun: "Nah brah, you gots to find yo own way."
Me: "The f..."

I think we'll find something later. I just figured out the black tree thing thanks to Gamefaqs. You really have to think out of the box sometimes with this game. I'm so used to DESTRUCTION *cue death metal* that actually trying to bring things to life or drawing suns is like completely random.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']wow... I have a hard time beleiving I'm saying this, but Zelda has nothing on this game. I've barely played it already and every aspect of it is so damn rewarding. Plus, this just shouldnt be possible on the PS2... the game just looks too good.[/quote]
Yeah, game of the decade for sure. It's sort of like Zelda, but instead of a boy with a sword you're a fucking god right out of Princess Mononoke.

Edit: Regarding the statues, is there anything that could be carried to them that might work? Rabbits?

I'll put it simple: Twilight Princess has garnered nary a want by me and that's wild since I love some Zelda. But Okami is a different breed all it's own.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']anyone know what the blue claws do? I've figured out a guarnteed way to get them always during a fight, but don't know what they're for.[/QUOTE]

youll meet a guy that will trade you nice items for them.

and while im not ready to say its better than zelda yet, only because i havent beat it, i am ready to say that this is simply a fantastic beautiful game. i just finished the first big dungeon and boss battle last night and it was pretty fun. the boss was a little annoying because of the camera, but thats bound to happen in any 3d game.

but its pretty much the best looking game ive ever seen. the colors are just magnificent.

I'm loving this game so much. :) This will easily hold me over until the Wii comes out with Zelda.

One thing I can't figure out though. How do I give the old lady a stick or whatever for her washing?

[quote name='Dezuria']I'm loving this game so much. :) This will easily hold me over until the Wii comes out with Zelda.

One thing I can't figure out though. How do I give the old lady a stick or whatever for her washing?[/QUOTE]

behind her, there are 2 posts. draw a line connecting the tops. go to her house at night and watch hilarity ensue.

okay, slacked a little more today and put in a few more hours. every second with this game is heaven!!

anyone know what to offer to those statues? I'm assuming it's something I haven't found yet.

[quote name='iheartmetal']youll meet a guy that will trade you nice items for them.

and while im not ready to say its better than zelda yet, only because i havent beat it, i am ready to say that this is simply a fantastic beautiful game. i just finished the first big dungeon and boss battle last night and it was pretty fun. the boss was a little annoying because of the camera, but thats bound to happen in any 3d game.

but its pretty much the best looking game ive ever seen. the colors are just magnificent.[/QUOTE]

yeah, i just got to that guy a hour ago... and yes, this is the best visuals i've ever seen in a game. next gen dosn't have crap on this... heck, why don't next gen titles even look like this?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']yeah, i just got to that guy a hour ago... and yes, this is the best visuals i've ever seen in a game. next gen dosn't have crap on this... heck, why don't next gen titles even look like this?[/QUOTE]

because the next gen hasn't started yet.

okay, maybe it kinda started with the Lost Planet demo.

[quote name='Apossum']because the next gen hasn't started yet.

okay, maybe it kinda started with the Lost Planet demo.[/QUOTE]

I have to say in terms of realism, yes, Lost planet wins, but in terms of creative concept, it's zilch on next gen.

...Viva Pinata is the only thing I've seen so far, but that's a kids show... I hope sony and M$ learn soemthing from nintendo in terms of creative concept based games...

back to okami.... restoring things with the astral brush sure as hell gets addicing since seeng something blook never gets old.

[quote name='iheartmetal']youll meet a guy that will trade you nice items for them.

but its pretty much the best looking game ive ever seen. the colors are just magnificent.[/quote]
I'd have to go out on a limib and say, from an artistic and technical standpoint, Zone of the Enders 2 ranks higher than this for me. That's not to say that this game isn't pretty but it doesn't wow the hell out of me like ZoE2 or JSRF have. It certainly has it fine points though. And with probably another 40 hrs of gameplay, my opinion can and probably will, change. What draws me to the game the most is the Celestial Brush. It's just crazy fun, although there has to be a reason why there isn't total analog control for it. If you lean a little you get the same as you'd get if you leaned a lot of the stick. It's not a big deal but I've noticed it.

About the first Dungeon Boss Battle...

Here's a hint i figured out, you can rotate the camera (right stick) when you freeze the game for painting. That makes it easier to get the target right. I know I had stunned her Ringu looking ass many times only to have trouble snagging a vine onto her hooks. The camera works for all battles too.

So I'm really digging this game a lot. The battles, although easy, except for Kaka (I used a "free life" the first time I fought him), are still a lot of fun. I love blowing enemies up although for the pansy imps the damage goes overboard. The main and sub weapon system is so simple yet so much fun. I think the rosary weapon is cool athough it does limit your mobility a lot. Can't wait to see what the swords do.

Totally random idea! I was thinking about how much fun it is to play as a dog, but there is one thing missing, and that's the abilty to mark your territory! I think it would be neat to pee on something and it would show up on your map. ;)

[quote name='FurryCurry']I'd have to go out on a limib and say, from an artistic and technical standpoint, Zone of the Enders 2 ranks higher than this for me. That's not to say that this game isn't pretty but it doesn't wow the hell out of me like ZoE2 or JSRF have. It certainly has it fine points though. And with probably another 40 hrs of gameplay, my opinion can and probably will, change. What draws me to the game the most is the Celestial Brush. It's just crazy fun, although there has to be a reason why there isn't total analog control for it. If you lean a little you get the same as you'd get if you leaned a lot of the stick. It's not a big deal but I've noticed it.

About the first Dungeon Boss Battle...

Here's a hint i figured out, you can rotate the camera (right stick) when you freeze the game for painting. That makes it easier to get the target right. I know I had stunned her Ringu looking ass many times only to have trouble snagging a vine onto her hooks. The camera works for all battles too.

So I'm really digging this game a lot. The battles, although easy, except for Kaka (I used a "free life" the first time I fought him), are still a lot of fun. I love blowing enemies up although for the pansy imps the damage goes overboard. The main and sub weapon system is so simple yet so much fun. I think the rosary weapon is cool athough it does limit your mobility a lot. Can't wait to see what the swords do.

Totally random idea! I was thinking about how much fun it is to play as a dog, but there is one thing missing, and that's the abilty to mark your territory! I think it would be neat to pee on something and it would show up on your map. ;)[/QUOTE]

yeah, but ZoE2 was mainstream artsy (heck, it wasa top calibur anime pretty much) where this is artsy artys... art for the sake of art... and beleive me, I've focused half my life on making games into art, so I know my butter pecans...?

so the little snot nose kid waka is...

a lot easier to best the second time, you can hit him twice with the slash and cherry bomb if youre fast enough and lead him into cherry bombs when hes doing his normal attacks

im getting more used to battles with the brush, before i was just kind of button mashing, and that was getting me by just fine, but when you use the brush and the normal attacks battles are easier and quicker.

yeah, its a good game. almost, too good...

So I got this game yesterday solely for the preorder bonus... but now I don't want to return it. And I don't even have a PS2. :D

I think I may have to borrow my fiancee's brother's system for a few days so I have a reason to keep this.

[quote name='botticus']So I got this game yesterday solely for the preorder bonus... but now I don't want to return it. And I don't even have a PS2. :D

I think I may have to borrow my fiancee's brother's system for a few days so I have a reason to keep this.[/QUOTE]

Doooo iiiit!

went out for an hour, got a few beers, cut out early too......play okami for the next few hours :D

Oni Island spoilers
Ugh, there is this annoying wall guy at the end of Oni Island, right before the boss. It has five weakpoints that flash up and it is way too many for me to remember

The non spoiler version: Anyone have any tips on remembering where the wall guy weakpoints are?

yeah, I'm spamming this thread.

if anyone wants the massive 5-disc OST, pm me.

It's only cause we are all too busy playing the damn game to actually get on the computer and reply to this thread...

Anyway, I'm in the second dungeon right now and this game is just sooooo much fun to play. I'm 15 hours in now and I can't believe that there is actually at least another 15 hours of gameplay.

[quote name='Apossum']yeah, I'm spamming this thread.

if anyone wants the massive 5-disc OST, pm me.[/quote]Five discs?! What the crap, is that the biggest OST ever or what?

I just got a jar of sake from the sake maker in the first village after fixing her water wheel. What am I suppose to do with this?

[quote name='cletus']I just got a jar of sake from the sake maker in the first village after fixing her water wheel. What am I suppose to do with this?[/QUOTE]

It will come in handy with a certain villager. You may not have activated the story sequence where he needs it but keeping the spoils to a minimum, Susano will need it.

[quote name='Fatesealer']It will come in handy with a certain villager. You may not have activated the story sequence where he needs it but keeping the spoils to a minimum, Susano will need it.[/quote]

That was sarcasm right?

And everyone knows that we do have spoiler tags [ SPOILER ] right?

[quote name='FurryCurry']That was sarcasm right?

And everyone knows that we do have spoiler tags [ SPOILER ] right?[/QUOTE]

Sarcasm, no. And what defines 'spoiler' anyway? I didn't give away any storyline: I simply said who would need it. OHMIGOD RUINED WHOLE GAME AM DOING!

Well, I've really fallen in love with the game and am at the midway point (from what it seems...). I really dig Susano for no reason, and I get a huge kick out of whenever you free a god out of their constelations. Great balance between seriouse fable and comedy.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Well, I've really fallen in love with the game and am at the midway point (from what it seems...). I really dig Susano for no reason, and I get a huge kick out of whenever you free a god out of their constelations. Great balance between seriouse fable and comedy.[/quote]
If you are still with Susano then you are not even close to the midpoint.
;) Yuichi and Issun are much cooler than Susano anyway.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Five discs?! What the crap, is that the biggest OST ever or what?[/quote] Yeah, it's five discs. It has awesome boxart too.

okamiost6flni5.jpg

Picture not taken by me.

Definitely worth the money I spent on it.

[quote name='Foolman']If you are still with Susano then you are not even close to the midpoint.;) Yuichi and Issun are much cooler than Susano anyway.[/QUOTE]

No, I'm past the susano story already and just appeared in the city by the docks (forgot name). I've so far been obsessed with feeding animals.

that OST box is pretty awesome.

it's only like $40 before shipping at play-asia right?

I listened to some of the OST...can't get into it without the game, though it's all really good.

Sei-an city spoiler

The thing you draw on your mask for Moon Temple will be all over the walls of Sei-an when the mist is covering it. I didn't even notice untl I looked at it. I drew a smiley face :). And lo and behold, there it was: tagged all over. How cool of a touch is that?

[quote name='Apossum']that OST box is pretty awesome.

I listened to some of the OST...can't get into it without the game, though it's all really good.[/quote]
I bought mine from hmv.co.jp for $50 shipped, it took about 4 days to arrive from Japan.. not bad at all :)

I listen to the soundtrack apart from the game a good deal, but imho it is worth it just for the amazing box art and collector value

[quote name='Spades22']How many discs is the actual game?[/QUOTE]

its just one disc. The OST includes literally all the music in every scene, that's why it's so long.

Questions: Is there a boss rush mode at all?

Is there anything special for not using your praise points to level up?

Why do bamboo shoots give you so many points in your astral pouch (and money when it's full)?

What are the methods for getting fangs from the kite guys, swordsman crows, tea kettle and flower bud guys?

And is the barking for fangs move needed or should I hold on to my 100,000?

1. nope, not much in the way of unlockables...
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/code/920500.html

2. I don't think so.

3. When cooked properly or served in a nice thai soup, bamboo shoots are tasty!

4. The flower bud guys need to be circled to make them bloom during their matrix-death animation

5. it would make things much easier....

Ah I see...but this game looks really cool from the videos i saw on IGN...I'm gunna have to get it when I get my ps2.

[quote name='Apossum']its just one disc. The OST includes literally all the music in every scene, that's why it's so long.

5. it would make things much easier....[/quote]

Hmm, so that means there will be more things to trade for with my fangs later?

[quote name='Apossum']that OST box is pretty awesome.

I listened to some of the OST...can't get into it without the game, though it's all really good.[/quote]

You can get it for 35 bucks from Yesasia if you do some coupon searching.

[quote name='FurryCurry']Hmm, so that means there will be more things to trade for with my fangs later?[/quote]

Tons. For example:
Right now I'm trying to collect 100 of them so I can get an item that allows me to walk on water.

[quote name='FurryCurry']Like mentioning that there's a end to Susano's story! That to me is a spoiler. Spoilerish...
[/quote]
I'll tag it then.

Im about ready to choke someone... as it concerns bloom on certain trees:

I ran around Sei-an city for all of 2 hours, trying to find the last blossom tree to revive. And I searched everywhere. EVERYWHERE. And then it dawned on me: the guys name is Mr Flower. I draw a bloom ring on him and the last flower is found. TWO HOURS. fuck YOU, CLOVER! Jesus...

so this game is 99% awesome, but that one part where you had to draw blooms while the Elder danced was the worst. Why they don't let you speed up or skip all text is beyond me.

bread's done
Back