The official "OMG Wii IS HERE!!!!" HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY THREAD!

[quote name='javeryh']1. Anyone know if the Wii comes with an ethernet cable so I can connect it to my router?

2. Also, can the Wii play all Gamecube games so there's no pont in keeping it? I do not have a gameboy player and I never will.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

No ethernet cable. I haven't heard anything about any Gamecube games not working - I already sold mine.

[quote name='javeryh']Do how do you get online with it? I've got a wireless Linksys 54G router but I'd rather be hard wired...[/quote]Well, I think technically there's not a way to be wired. The ethernet adapater is probably a wireless access point that you plug a ethernet cable into. So if you already have a wireless router, I think your best bet is just to hook up with that. If it's for security reasons, the Wii handles WEP and WPA, so shouldn't be an issue.

[quote name='botticus']Well, I think technically there's not a way to be wired. The ethernet adapater is probably a wireless access point that you plug a ethernet cable into. So if you already have a wireless router, I think your best bet is just to hook up with that. If it's for security reasons, the Wii handles WEP and WPA, so shouldn't be an issue.[/quote]

OK, I guess I'll try it that way. Wireless signals DIE in my house. My computer only works if I am literally sitting across from the router. It can't find a signal if I am in the room behind the router because the signal can't pass through the wall. No cell phone or blackberry reception inside either. It's infuriating.

Well... let the bullshit begin. I just came back from BB. They were supposed to hand out tickets at 8, but did it at 7 anyways. Supposedly they only got 24 in stock (which I'm calling bullshit on, as an employee said 40 after I talked to him for a while last night and WiiSeeker estimates over 50). They handed out 24 tickets, and are turning everyone else away. The paper said 8.. and when I questioned an employee about it, his statement was "well, we got a call last night that we were to hand out tickets at 7 and we are going to open an hour early." I asked him why he wasn't opening the store then (which opens at 9, making the hour earlier 8), and he said they don't open till 9. I smell something fishy here.. they claimed to have had 20 people camping, but are "sold out." I'm still going back up there at 9, just to pick up some component cables. If they have some Wii's, I'll snag one, but still call district management or corporate about them breaking the advertisement.

[quote name='javeryh']OK, I guess I'll try it that way. Wireless signals DIE in my house. My computer only works if I am literally sitting across from the router. It can't find a signal if I am in the room behind the router because the signal can't pass through the wall. No cell phone or blackberry reception inside either. It's infuriating.[/quote]If that's the problem, then the ethernet adapter might be worthwhile whenever it hits stores. You would probably avoid your problem by running the adapter via cable all the way to your console so it's sitting two inches away. Hard to lose that signal.

I got a gift card at Target, but I think it's broken. :whistle2:( I'll have to go back and buy another one after testing it with the credit I put on this one.

EB apparently doesn't open till 10, so I have another half hour to wait.

My router is in my entertainment center so it will be a few inches from the Wii. Hopefully everything will work smoothly but I get WAY faster download speeds and no drops with my computer when I'm hard wired...

I have a similar problem in my apartment. My router is in the other bedroom, but part of the problem is that I can pick up no less than 20 wireless signals in my room. My laptop can't pick up the router, but my DS can (except it's WPA secured). I picked up the Wifi USB because of that, and the fact that when I go home for the holidays my family has wired broadband.

I just got back from target,toysrus, bb and I didn't get one.

I first went to target they had around 38 and one guy didn't even have enough for the wii he waited 14hours and was trying to auction his spot though there's no way since he didn't have a ticket so I left.

ToysRus didn't have many people they only had 10 to sell to people rest were pre-sales.

BB had around 60 and handed them already and CC was out.

Oh well i'll be picking up my zelda and maybe jump on the buy two wii games and get 10$ deal at CC they haven't opened yet.

whoaaaaaa...that was quite a run. EVERYWHERE I went the lines were full, but then I just happened to be passing through this random part of town and found a pretty deserted looking ShopKo. Got in line, and got one at 8!

now to eat a burrito then wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Man Im soooo glad i got my preorder at tru. I have 3 hours left to get my Wii still, im way to excited.

How does the component cables compare to the cables that come with the Wii?

Didn't get my Wii.:bomb:

Wally World, BB, CC, TRU - all sold out. Part of me is happy, of course, since now we know the Wii won;t be another Virtual Boy, but another part of me wants to play Rayman.

I live in a small, older, conservative city in Ontario,Canada and people were lined up everywhere this morning I was shocked. I knew the system would sell well but this is amazing. I couldnt pick up my pre order until 9.30 so I went to a few places opening at 8.00 just for fun. Within a few minutes every system was sold and every accessory was gone. My Wii just finished updating, so thats all for now. Have fun everyone and good luck to those still looking.

Have received Wii after a huge campout, which had both good and bad parts to it.

Also got Zelda, Rayman, and Monkey Ball, and used the $20 GC at Target to get a classic controller.

Waiting for GS to open so I can go get another 'mote set and maybe another game, or hold steady until component cables come out. Might shell out for Wii Points, but I can't get my Wii connected to my router (a Linksys WRTG54, so I can't imagine what the deal is, as I currently have all security disabled).

Wii Tennis is lots of fun.

[quote name='io']It comes with 512 MB of on-board flash memory, so no need whatsoever. The SD card is the only way to get pictures, MP3's, and MPEGs on it though. Just buy any old SD card, too, not the ones being sold as "Wii memory cards", they are expensive.[/quote]

Thanks SO much for the ehads up on the SD cards, io... I'll be looking to score a BF deal for one of these now.

Also, terribly jealous of the Wii swag, and the ADORABLE kitten!!!!!! Love the names, too... I love movie/game names... we have Bond the cat and (Princess) Leia the sheltie...

[quote name='pop311']where are the nunchucks available?[/quote]

Nunchuks should be available anywhere the Wii Remotes are available.

Yay, my bf and I each got our Wiis (gonna sell mine at cost to one of our buddies). We each got an extra Wiimote, nunchuck, and classic controller. What a night! Props to the random soul that brought law & order to the launch line with a sign-up sheet and midnight/6AM roster checks at the San Jose Westgate Target.
[quote name='Strell']Also got Zelda, Rayman, and Monkey Ball, and used the $20 GC at Target to get a classic controller.[/QUOTE]Those were our 3 games also.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']Yay, my bf and I each got our Wiis (gonna sell mine at cost to one of our buddies). We each got an extra Wiimote, nunchuck, and classic controller. What a night! Props to the random soul that brought law & order to the launch line with a sign-up sheet and midnight/6AM roster checks at the San Jose Westgate Target.
Those were our 3 games also.[/quote]

so you survived huh? :bouncy:

yeah, i agree. good thing someone with a pure and non-eBay heart managed to take up a list of people waiting in line. there was order. :applause:

I got to the circuit city in milwaukee at 5am, there were a few people, and moments later the rest of the 19 for their systems showed up, we played some mario kart, waited around.

At 8am they handed out vouchers, i was lucky #7. I went to the nearby best buy to check out the lines there and try to pick up zelda just incase it was in short supply. A friend of mine was near the front of the line there, and i stayed to talk with him until their 9am opening.. when I got another ticket for for a Wii.

Of course everyone's telling me to sell it cause i already have one, but i think that's dumb, so I gave it to a kid who came late with his parents and looked so sad to not be able to get one, and he was very happy, made me feel all nice and moral and stuff. It was pretty nice.

And the $40 off $200 coupon worked, which in combination with the $5 off accessories at circuit city, meant i got a Wii +extra wiimote for $245 plus tax. Excellent Deal, thanks CAG!

[quote name='hack']I am incredibly amazed at how small the remote is. It looks so much bigger in pictures/video.[/quote]

All of it is really small! I can practically palm the Wii. But it fits perfectly in my entertainment center, which is already buckling under its own weight. I didn't even have to clear a shelf for it. :p

[quote name='f4t4lfury']All of it is really small! I can practically palm the Wii. But it fits perfectly in my entertainment center, which is already buckling under its own weight. I didn't even have to clear a shelf for it. :p[/quote]

Haha yeah. All of it is really small. I just had to get the obligatory 'OMG' out for every single Wii thing available.

2 hours remain. Gonna head out soon, grab some breakfast, and all should be well come 10 AM.

The one thing that really pissed me off this morning was standing in line around 8am and three times the person in front of me got the last Wii. I swear I bet no one has this kind of luck. The thing that bugged me the most was at Best Buy where the kid in front of me said, "I had the Wii preordered at Gamestop and Circuit City. I don't really care if I get one here or not, I'm just buying this one to sell on ebay." I just stood there and had to restrain myself from yelling "WHY THE fuck ARE YOU STANDING HERE THEN?!!! YOUR ALREADY NOT GOING TO LOSE A fuckING DIME BECAUSE YOUR GOING TO SELL ONE OF YOUR PREORDERS. GIVE SOMEONE ELSE THE fuckING TICKET MAYBE THE PERSON AFTER YOU IN LINE WHO IS ACTUALLY GOING TO PLAY THE fuckING SYSTEM!!!!"

img_0194.jpg

This thing is so awesome. I played until about 4:30 in the morning, slept, woke up at 10, then started playing again. Call of Duty is so much fun.

[quote name='blueweltall']Will any ethernet or lan adapter work with the Wii? I can't wait until January to get the offical lan adapter from Nintendo.[/quote]

Now I'm wondering the same thing. My Nintendo USB Wi-Fi adapter sucks ass. It only works like 1 out of every 10 times I attempt...and it's not my firewall or anything, and it does SOMETIMES work (I was able to install all updates after several attempts)...but right now, I cannot get it to connect to do the Wii Shop Channel or anything. This ain't gonna work and I can't just get a wireless router because of my Vonage.

So yeah, if anyone could test one of those out, I'd be grateful.

After quite an eventful midnight launch at Wal-Mart, I managed to get one. I picked up just the console since I had bought Zelda and an extra controller/nunchuk a few hours before (my local Best Buy broke the street date).

When I was driving home all I could think about was sleeping since I'd been sitting there for 10+ hours. But once I got home and opened it up, I had to play it. I ended up playing for around an hour and a half before collapsing into bed around 3:30.

I've basically been playing Wii Sports all day. I haven't really had the urge to pop in Zelda yet.

[quote name='Strell']Have received Wii after a huge campout, which had both good and bad parts to it.

Also got Zelda, Rayman, and Monkey Ball, and used the $20 GC at Target to get a classic controller.

Waiting for GS to open so I can go get another 'mote set and maybe another game, or hold steady until component cables come out. Might shell out for Wii Points, but I can't get my Wii connected to my router (a Linksys WRTG54, so I can't imagine what the deal is, as I currently have all security disabled).

Wii Tennis is lots of fun.[/QUOTE]

Strell, I got exactly the same router and it worked fine for me. In fact, I was surprised at how well Wii worked with my Wifi. My DS never works in the living room, but the signal strength for the Wii was 2 (out of 3) bars. Worked just fine for all the updates. I'll be downloading Mario 64 today ;).

YESSS got my wii, it is so fun. Easily worth the 250 dollars and anyone who is even thinking about getting it, just get it, you wont regret it.

Absolutely splendid.

Got the system, Zelda, and a classic controller. Also picked up Trauma Center and Excite Truck, but I won't be playing them unti learly next month ;]. Also ordered Red Steel and Rayman online, since my Target didn't have them D=.

Also, I was very disappointed to find Elebits got delayed!

I have a question, though- I was setting up my connection to the internet through the USB adapter, and my Wii was pretty much right enxt to it. Established the connection, everything went smoothly, test went smoothly... but when I try to connect to the Wii store, it just has the large word Wii and a blue circle making noise. what gives?

But seriously, loving the system, Wii Sports is so awesome. =D!

[quote name='sixersballernum3']
I have a question, though- I was setting up my connection to the internet through the USB adapter, and my Wii was pretty much right enxt to it. Established the connection, everything went smoothly, test went smoothly... but when I try to connect to the Wii store, it just has the large word Wii and a blue circle making noise. what gives?[/QUOTE]

Yikes, that's not good... anyone have success with the USB Wifi?

[quote name='lordwow']Yikes, that's not good... anyone have success with the USB Wifi?[/quote]

Note that it doesn't seem like an error screen... like a startup screen that never starts up.

It a blue circle with a blue bump pulsating around, and seems like a "watch me turn while I connect and load" type thing.

It just never goes away.

I didn't have a lot of time this morning to try it out (I will after the Bengals beat the Saints), but I couldn't get it to connect at all, and my DS Lite worked perfectly, with maximum bars, from exactly the same spot.

EDIT: I don't have the Wi-fi dongle. I'm using a WAP that I got from somewhere linked on here for like ten bucks. I've had zero issues with it and my DS, but it's the only thing I ever tried it with.

Ya, still I was planning on picking one of these up and using it for my Wii, I'd be a disappointment if it doesn't work correctly.

[quote name='Z-Saber']
EDIT: I don't have the Wi-fi dongle. I'm using a WAP that I got from somewhere linked on here for like ten bucks. I've had zero issues with it and my DS, but it's the only thing I ever tried it with.[/QUOTE]

Ah ok, that makes me a little more at ease.

Whew. My friend and I cut it awfully close. We got there around 5am this morning. There was a guy in front of us with slicked back hair. Cool guy, and I played Bleach DS with his friend and some other cool Japanese kid. It was great talking to these people. Good fun. They finally handed out tickets at 7am. I was 98 on line. My friend and I were guaranteed a system but not necessarily Twilight princess. We still managed to score a copy though.

As I got out I saw the mess. Oh my. I'm glad I don't work in cleanup at target.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Note that it doesn't seem like an error screen... like a startup screen that never starts up.

It a blue circle with a blue bump pulsating around, and seems like a "watch me turn while I connect and load" type thing.

It just never goes away.[/quote]

I'm glad it's not just me.

But I'm having trouble with my USB adapter in other areas too. Sometimes it works, sometimes it says the USB adapter can't be found, sometimes it says it can't connect to the internet, etc. All at random. Then with the Wii Shop channel, it just won't work at all - just stalls there.

[quote name='lilboo']So does anyone know why we can't connect to the Wii Shop? I wanna get Mario 64.. and, who knows what else lol[/QUOTE]

Ummm.. I dunno - I just got on there, redeemed a Wii Points card and bought Mario 64 at 3pm Pacific time. My boys are playing it right now. My wife went out earlier to Fred Meyer to buy a Classic controller (although it says in the Wii shop that you can use a GC controller, oh well...). They still have all the controllers in stock, apparently. Like the Nunchucks, the classic controller feels a bit cheap and flimsy, but it is a good size for the kids.

I was going to congratulate Nintendo on getting this thing up and running smoothly and flawlessly, but it appears there may be occasional glitches. So when do we get the weather and news channels, and the Opera browser?

Before that we played through about 4 levels of Rayman - fun stuff, though I haven't tried the coop bits yet.

My Bro is playing COD3

I told him not to get it but he wanted it. Its actully turning out the be a pretty good game. Some adjustments needed to be made for the sensitivity of the controller but other than that, we are getting the hang of it and playing fine....

Online is working now. I just moved the WAP a little bit and it started working. I can't move it any closer than it is without cords and crap running all over the floor, but it seems to be fine.

I downloaded Super Mario 64. The graphics look so much better. It's not drastic or anything, but anyone who is familiar with the Nintendo 64's really crappy texture filtering will appreciate the improved look. You can also play it with a GC controller or the Classic controller.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Online is working now. I just moved the WAP a little bit and it started working. I can't move it any closer than it is without cords and crap running all over the floor, but it seems to be fine.

I downloaded Super Mario 64. The graphics look so much better. It's not drastic or anything, but anyone who is familiar with the Nintendo 64's really crappy texture filtering will appreciate the improved look. You can also play it with a GC controller or the Classic controller.[/QUOTE]

What did you do?

I don't have a WAP or anything like that. I can get online with my DS.. but, for Wii it's giving me a hard time.

According to us.wii.com, here are the launch dates for the channels:

Forecast Channel - December 20

News Channel - January 27

Internet Channel - Coming Soon

Ooof, we have to wait a whole month just to see how cold it is outside!!

So, for you Wiites, here';'s a question. When I get one will I be able to use it to connect my DS and play that online. Don't have a wi-fi interface for my DS. So i hope the Wii will act as a central station. Not just use the DS for games.

bread's done
Back