The Official PC Topic for TES IV: Oblivion

[quote name='Vegan']Surely the game is flexible enough to let you bind a key for inventory. Morrowind was known for letting you alter the game any way you want, after all.[/QUOTE]

What I'm saying is that there is no bindable keys for seperate parts of your inventory. There is no J for Journal, there is no I for Inventory, there is no M for Map.

It all goes through Tab, and you have to work your way through this menu system. I understand why it would be that way on, say, an Xbox 360, but cmon, this is a keyboard, make sure of all the keys!

Other then the inventory system, which I'll probably get used to or hope someone mods it, the game is amazing.

BTW, speaking of maps, the map system they have in place is worthless, imo.

[quote name='Metal Boss']Personally, I think they should have taken out the fast travel system, i seem to rely on it too much. :lol:[/QUOTE]

There's already a mod out for that, it was one of the first two up.

The other one removes the compass.

I may have to check walmart and see if they carry this game... I have credit there for the past year and this would be good use maybe.

Now just to finish Seige of Avalon Anthology first.

[quote name='Roufuss']There's already a mod out for that, it was one of the first two up.

The other one removes the compass.[/quote]

Right on, mods being released this soon how cool.

But, now i'm spoiled by it!

HDR lighting is sweeetttttt

Tried the diff. between Bloom + AA x 4 Versus HDR and there is a HUGE difference.

Runs very good on:

3.4 ghz Pentium 4
3 gb RAM
7600 GT

[quote name='ragnahrok']HDR lighting is sweeetttttt

Tried the diff. between Bloom + AA x 4 Versus HDR and there is a HUGE difference.

Runs very good on:

3.4 ghz Pentium 4
3 gb RAM
7600 GT[/QUOTE]

Well I'd hope it would run good on that system. Otherwise the rest of us wouldn't have a chance.

[quote name='Metal Boss']Right on, mods being released this soon how cool.

But, now i'm spoiled by it![/QUOTE]

Are you just a complainer? lol

I'm flipping through the game images pretending I have the game.

[quote name='Swingman']Are you just a complainer? lol

I'm flipping through the game images pretending I have the game.[/quote]

hehe, i've been playing it nonstop since I got it, I made a kung fu monk :cool:

Anyone know if there are anymore hand too hand combat moves besides the ones you start with?

[quote name='Metal Boss']Anyone know if there are anymore hand too hand combat moves besides the ones you start with?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, each skill has 5 training levels, and when you gain enough skill to get to the next level, you generally gain new moves or advantages. Looking in the manual , hand-to-hand seems to gain the most moves of any combat skill, as well as a chance to disarm, knock-down, or stun your opponent.

Finally the Bolingbrook Best Buy got it so I grabbed the CE over there... used a $5 reward zone certificate and ended up with the CE for $35. Can't complain.

Haven't even opened it though... hopefully Nvidia will release those new drivers today so we get a performance boost.

[quote name='Chacrana']Finally the Bolingbrook Best Buy got it so I grabbed the CE over there... used a $5 reward zone certificate and ended up with the CE for $35. Can't complain.

Haven't even opened it though... hopefully Nvidia will release those new drivers today so we get a performance boost.[/quote]
They did, 1680x1050 is more playable on my machine now(still drops into the high teens in dense foliage, especially when fighting.. but I can deal with the drops if I'm not watching a FPS counter because it looks so damned beautiful).. I've decided just to cut off FRAPS and deal with the game itself, rather than worrying about framerates. If it gets so choppy that I can't play the game, I'll do something about it, but I'm done with numbers.. I've spent more time tweaking my settings than playing the game.

That needs to change :)

[quote name='Robobandit']They did, 1680x1050 is more playable on my machine now(still drops into the high teens in dense foliage, especially when fighting.. but I can deal with the drops if I'm not watching a FPS counter because it looks so damned beautiful).. I've decided just to cut off FRAPS and deal with the game itself, rather than worrying about framerates. If it gets so choppy that I can't play the game, I'll do something about it, but I'm done with numbers.. I've spent more time tweaking my settings than playing the game.

That needs to change :)[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about about the new Geforce driver on Nvidia's website? Driver Version 84.21

If not, where do I find the driver that help Oblivion's performance?

[quote name='Robobandit']They did, 1680x1050 is more playable on my machine now(still drops into the high teens in dense foliage, especially when fighting.. but I can deal with the drops if I'm not watching a FPS counter because it looks so damned beautiful).. I've decided just to cut off FRAPS and deal with the game itself, rather than worrying about framerates. If it gets so choppy that I can't play the game, I'll do something about it, but I'm done with numbers.. I've spent more time tweaking my settings than playing the game.

That needs to change :)[/QUOTE]

I'm going to run it at 1024X768, but if you were getting in the teens at worst with that kind of resolution, then this should be fine for me which is a relief (hugs factory OCed XFX 7800GTX)

Just another system to benchmark off of, I'm running it fine aside from a little choppiness while loading a new area. Haven't checked FPS because I don't care as long as it looks good.

Running on the default "High" (1024x768) setting with a few minor tweaks upward and an older nVidia driver:

Pentium D 3.0GHz
1GB DDR2 PC5300 Ram
256MB nVidia GeForce 6800

[quote name='Chacrana']I'm going to run it at 1024X768, but if you were getting in the teens at worst with that kind of resolution, then this should be fine for me which is a relief (hugs factory OCed XFX 7800GTX)[/quote]

actually, it did go down to single digits once hehe

so I've gone to 1280x720 with actors 3/4 of the way maxed, grass maxed and hdr on.

grass shadows and self shadows are off, as is vsync.

Can still get into the teens in some cases, but it feels much smoother than it does at higher resolution.

I got a chance to try the game with the aforementioned 7800GTX and it runs really, really well with Vsynch off (and I haven't noticed any tearing with it off.) Oh, and this game is fucking awesome. I can't believe how fast time passes when you're playing it.

I tried setting the rez at 1280X968 or whatever it's called and wow... there's really not much of a difference in frames -- it still runs very, very smoothly on my 7800GTX, but holy shit, it makes a huge difference in terms of graphical quality... I was at 1024X768 but this makes Oblivion look insanely good. Now I'm really glad I opted for the PC version.

[quote name='MrSneis']Sigh, we'll see how it goes.

System specs:

XP 3700+
Geforce 7800GT
2Gb ram

I hope my rig can run it ;)[/QUOTE]

Asshole. I can't believe my 6800 GT is becoming obsolete already.

Well after a fair amount of playing I can say that this is an amazing game. Everything about it just screams that it's alive! This is the most beautiful and realistic game I have ever played.

I am running it on these specs:
P4 Prescott [email protected] 1MB L2 Cache
1 GB in Dual Channel
X800 GTO2 Modded to a X850 and overclocked a bit over X850 XT PE speeds
Also my FSB is OC'ed by about 14%

It runs on high quite well. And it looks great!

[quote name='Chacrana']I got a chance to try the game with the aforementioned 7800GTX and it runs really, really well with Vsynch off (and I haven't noticed any tearing with it off.) Oh, and this game is fucking awesome. I can't believe how fast time passes when you're playing it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip. Just picked the game up today. I'll have to update my drivers tonight and turn off V-synch.

Well, i updated, installed, and fired it up.

So far so good. One thing I don't like is that they do a poor job of explaining things to start. I got killed by rats three times in row before I could figure out how to strip corpses and equip items.

Is there a way to see your frame rate in game? A consol command or series of hot keys. My frame rate has been pretty good so far, but I've been slinking in the dungeon and only fought a few rats. I still need to make my character proper.

I decided to go with a Breaton because I always liked their magic resistance and the few extra sp. I'll probably go with light armor to use magic. I read that heavy armor has a negative effect on magic. It would be nice to be able to use heavy armor and magic. But I dont know how much of a hit it'll be.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Well, i updated, installed, and fired it up.

So far so good. One thing I don't like is that they do a poor job of explaining things to start. I got killed by rats three times in row before I could figure out how to strip corpses and equip items.[/quote]

RTFM. It's huge for a reason.

Okay. I'm having this problem.

"FF" icons in the system tray

Some users have reported having numerous "FF" icons in their taskbar during or after playing Oblivion. These icons are from a seperate video/audio decoder you may have installed in the past called "FFDShow." This program is processing the sound files for Oblivion, which some users have reported slows down the game, and can leave the icons in their system tray. Simply moving the mouse over those icons will get rid of them after you stop playing Oblivion. Uninstalling FFDShow can fix this, but it is NOT necessary. You can follow the steps below to tell FFDShow not to handle sound for Oblivion.

Instructions for disabling the FFDShow for Oblivion without fully removing it:

1. Click Start
2. Click "All Programs" (or just Programs, depending on the version of Windows, whether they're using "classic," etc.)
3. Go to the ffdshow folder.
4. Click "Audio decoder configuration."
5. In the left hand pane, click "Info & debug." This is the second entry in the list.
6. In the right hand pane, near the bottom, find a check box labelled "Don't use ffdshow in:"
7. Check that box, and in the text box underneath (it lights up when you check the check box), add "oblivion.exe" (don't include the quotes). If there is already something in that box, put a semi-colon ( ; ) after what's already there, and oblivion.exe after that. Do NOT use spaces, since ffdshow will think that's part of the filename. A valid entry would be "explorer.exe;oblivion.exe" (without quotes).
8. Finally, click "Ok" and start Oblivion.

The thing is, when I get to step 6, there is no "Don't use ffdshow in:" check box.

Anyone know what i need to fix this? I tried upgrading ffdshow but that just made things worse. I lost the ability to edit the audio options. Then I reverted back. Is there a specific text file I can manually edit the fix into?

[quote name='Vegan']RTFM. It's huge for a reason.[/QUOTE]

o_O My manual's only about 30 pages or so. I got the collector's edition, but I dont think that the CE one would be *smaller*.

Ah, I think I fixed it my ffdshow problem.

And this is the year 2006. People shouldn't be required to read manuals.

Yeah, the manuals not huge. how els ethey fit it in the little box. But it's in some ways more descriptive than the in game menus. For example, itt has more detail in the manual than it does in the in game description for the races. And a lot of basic stuff is buried in very small type.

[quote name='Chacrana']left shift and left click the item.[/QUOTE]

Cool thanks.

Well, instead of just running to the city after the Sewers I did some running. I'm in Wyre/Weyr/whatever.s

Hey Ackbar, how'd you fix your FFDShow problem? I'm having the exact same thing, go into config and no "dont use ffdshow in:" option. I noticed the bar said it was the video config, but I have no idea how to get to the audio config. The only option in my start menu was "Configuration".

Man, I have a relatively high end system (AMD 3200+, 2 gigs of RAM, GeForce 7800GT), but Oblivion is kicking my system's ass!

I absolutely love the game so far, though. The characters feel a lot more specialized this time around. Being a Thief feels a hell of a lot more like being a Thief than it did in Morrowind...

Ditto for a Mage. So happy they balanced the game out.

I haven't played it as much as I've expected, because I've been kinda busy. But man, I see myself locking some nice hours into it this weekend.

Very satisfied with what I've seen so far.

I'm gonna try and avoid this topic, because inevitably, shit is going to be spoiled. But damn this game rocks......!

I had such a problem with this game at first. I had a FX 5200 card, which on the box is sais that it supports all FX cards, but it would just not work. It sucked, I thought I wasted $50. I dont have a lot of money right now to upgrade the video card.

But a friend of mine let me borrow his radeon 9800, and I can finally play the game. What a relief.

Hope everyone has fun playing the game. Anybody have any favorite player types yet besides the one mentioned. I am talking about for example a mage, or theif etc...

[quote name='Logain8955']Hey Ackbar, how'd you fix your FFDShow problem? I'm having the exact same thing, go into config and no "dont use ffdshow in:" option. I noticed the bar said it was the video config, but I have no idea how to get to the audio config. The only option in my start menu was "Configuration".[/QUOTE]

Okay, here's what I did.

I had the Mastroka whatever codec pack installed which included an older version of FFDshow. So I opeened up "ffdshow audio" and followed the instructions given. Unfortunately, there was no button from step six.

So then I went to ffdshow proper and installed an update. That screwed my whole system up. I couldn't get the au8do configuration to come up at all. And the only thing that worked was the "Configuration" screen. And I still had the problems.

So then I uninstalled the update and tried it again. Still no luck.

Then I uninstalled the Mastroka codec pack completely to wipe the older versions of ffdshow off my drive. Then I installed the latest version of ffdshow and that fixed the problem.

In other news, I'm playing at one notch above the normal difficulty level. And I don't know if it's a lot tougher than normal or if I just suck. The first creature I came across while leaving the prison was a crab. A CRAB! And he kicked my ass twice. Before I decided to back up and flame ball his crusty claws.

I've come across my second open encounter and it's a wolf. I'm too slow to run away, so I have to get past him. I've tried twice now but I was just tired last night. Going to try again later today.

OIn other news, I'm also disappointed you can't change the mouse button configurations. At least, I haven't found out a way to do so yet. A much more optimal setup would be if you could use the mouse wheel to move between your hot keyed spells, items etc. Then click once to select. Alternatively, when not after a selection, have each click cast a spell. That way I could swing with the left, block with the right, and cast with my middle mouse button.

Edit: i figured out how to assign mouse keys in oblivion.

Three more things. I'd like to post some screens. Don't know what the print screen command is in obv.

I was reading on the oblvion forum that changin the FOV to 90 in the game will boost frame rate from 5-10 fps. Just bring up the console and type FOV 90.

I'm still trying to fidn the framerate command. I heard it was TRD but didn't find it.

I'd search around on the oblivion forum but their search isn't working. So I have to muck around manually.

[quote name='Roufuss']I paid $30 for the collectors edition because I am smooth like that.[/QUOTE]

Mind sharing how you pulled that off? Is it still possible to get it for that much?

IIRC, Roufuss used $10 worth of Reward Zone Certificates while I used $5 (hence the $35 I paid.) Fry's had the regular edition game for $37.99 and I believe that their most recent ad still has that price listed. All you do is go to Best Buy and price match for the Collector's Edition and you're set.

bread's done
Back