The Official PC Topic for TES IV: Oblivion

[quote name='Swingman']Mind sharing how you pulled that off? Is it still possible to get it for that much?[/QUOTE]

It can be done. I got the CE of DDO for $36

$40 for the CE. PMed the Fry's Ad to BB and got it easy.

And with the money I saved on that, I drove across the freeway to Fry's itself and got myself a DVD-ROM drive to be able to actually play it, which ran me $20. :D

[quote name='Chacrana']IIRC, Roufuss used $10 worth of Reward Zone Certificates while I used $5 (hence the $35 I paid.) Fry's had the regular edition game for $37.99 and I believe that their most recent ad still has that price listed. All you do is go to Best Buy and price match for the Collector's Edition and you're set.[/QUOTE]

Can you pricematch something at best buy from a store that is more than an hour away?

When does the Fry's ad expire and how can I get my hands on an ad to take to Best Buy?

If someone could scan the ad for me so I can print it off, then I'd greatly appreciate it. Or link me to a scan.

[quote name='Swingman']Can you pricematch something at best buy from a store that is more than an hour away?

When does the Fry's ad expire and how can I get my hands on an ad to take to Best Buy?

If someone could scan the ad for me so I can print it off, then I'd greatly appreciate it. Or link me to a scan.[/QUOTE]

1. Yes, you can pricematch something that's more than an hour away. I've used the Fry's ad countless times despite the place being far, far away from where I live and it's never been questioned.

2. The Friday Fry's ad expires on Tuesday of the next week, but it's not as though BB actually pays attention to that. Nobody's done more than glance at the item in question in the ad. For me, the Friday ad comes in the Chicago Tribune and I get a smaller ad on Wednesdays and Sundays in the Naperville Sun (the more local paper)... so that hopefully tells you where you'd be able to find it. Of course, you'd have difficulty if you don't have a Fry's in your state, but BB probably won't give you any problems with pricematching either way.

[quote name='Chacrana']1. Yes, you can pricematch something that's more than an hour away. I've used the Fry's ad countless times despite the place being far, far away from where I live and it's never been questioned.

2. The Friday Fry's ad expires on Tuesday of the next week, but it's not as though BB actually pays attention to that. Nobody's done more than glance at the item in question in the ad. For me, the Friday ad comes in the Chicago Tribune and I get a smaller ad on Wednesdays and Sundays in the Naperville Sun (the more local paper)... so that hopefully tells you where you'd be able to find it. Of course, you'd have difficulty if you don't have a Fry's in your state, but BB probably won't give you any problems with pricematching either way.[/QUOTE]

There's a Fry's in my state but they don't put ads in any local papers around here to my knowledge. Would Best Buy accept a printoff from the computer of the ad image?

[quote name='Metal Boss']you paid 15 to borrow a disk? dumbass...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you're right. Getting a $50 game for $15 is stupid.

I may be a Cheap Ass Gamer, but I'm not about to ask my cousin to borrow it the day it came out. That's just downright rude, and 100% mooching. Consider it "pitching in" to help pay for the game.

So yeah, if you want to get technical on me, I payed money to borrow a disk. Fortunately, you don't need it to play the game.

Well, I just finsihed my first dungeon. pretty good. Ended up with some artifacts. They're worth a pretty penny. But with a haggling of 10 I doubt I'll get much.

I figured out why i was getting my ass kicked. I hd set the difficulty to 80%. 50% is normal. I thought the slider was notched like veasy/easy/norm/hard/vhard. But it's a % slider. So i reduced the difficulty to 60%. Norm is 50%. That helped a lot. Now it's challenging but not enough where I get my ass kicked.

I played through the intro, but that's about all my PC at home could handle. once I got out into the world, it was choppy as hell, so I had to run at pretty much the lowest settings. I really need new ram in that thing. Can't wait to get back to school though, where my beastly rig should be able to kick ass!

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']Yeah, you're right. Getting a $50 game for $15 is stupid.

I may be a Cheap Ass Gamer, but I'm not about to ask my cousin to borrow it the day it came out. That's just downright rude, and 100% mooching. Consider it "pitching in" to help pay for the game.

So yeah, if you want to get technical on me, I payed money to borrow a disk. Fortunately, you don't need it to play the game.[/quote]

Yar.

Here are some screen shots from my PC. Mostly everything is at max. I should be at 4x AA and HDr activated. But sometimes it's hard to tell if it's actually on ot not. Everything is pretty much near max with all effects. Outdorrs I average about 30-32 fps and indoors I average 40ish plus. But I want to try some more tweaking later to bost my framerate. i read a tip yesterday in the oblivion forums but they're down for maintenance today so I haven't tried it yet.

Master of My Domain
obv_domain.jpg

City livin'!
obv_city.jpg

Abandoned fort. They don't make 'em like they used to.
obv_fort.jpg

Let's go see the sunset.
obv_sunset.jpg

You'd think they could come up with a better name than, "Imperial City."
obv_imp.jpg

Hey Admiral, what are the stats of your rig? Also, could you share with us the tip you read? I haven't installed it yet on my good pc, but would love to know anything I can do to get it to run as fast as possible. thanks!

[quote name='Metal Boss']Actually, unless you have an illegal crack, yeah you do need the disc. Way to support bethesda![/quote]

Illegal? Nope. They aren't illegal at all. Pirating discs is illegal. I personally use no-disc cracks all the time, it prevents wear and tear on my discs. And they are by now means illegal, there are no laws to break. The only reason they seem shady is beacause the people who pirate games use them as well.

[quote name='dtarasev']Illegal? Nope. They aren't illegal at all. Pirating discs is illegal. I personally use no-disc cracks all the time, it prevents wear and tear on my discs. And they are by now means illegal, there are no laws to break. The only reason they seem shady is beacause the people who pirate games use them as well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but you said you're using your cousin's copy of the game. It's not yours so in that case it would be piracy.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Hey Admiral, what are the stats of your rig? Also, could you share with us the tip you read? I haven't installed it yet on my good pc, but would love to know anything I can do to get it to run as fast as possible. thanks![/QUOTE]

The key is to not go overboard on the distance. Keeping the distances for stuff like grass and objects at the default really does help the frame rate. Turning V synch off is a must since that basically doubles your frame rate and I really haven't noticed any "tearing" without the option turned on. I also opted for bloom lighting rather than HDR an I turned the specular distance all the way up and put on 4X AA... so that's definitely better than HDR's lighting. I'm using a 7800GTX 256MB, so decide for yourself how those tips apply to you.

[quote name='Chacrana']The key is to not go overboard on the distance. Keeping the distances for stuff like grass and objects at the default really does help the frame rate. Turning V synch off is a must since that basically doubles your frame rate and I really haven't noticed any "tearing" without the option turned on. I also opted for bloom lighting rather than HDR an I turned the specular distance all the way up and put on 4X AA... so that's definitely better than HDR's lighting. I'm using a 7800GTX 256MB, so decide for yourself how those tips apply to you.[/QUOTE]

Well I've got a 7800GT 256MB, so I should see results pretty similar then. thanks

Game is a blast...havent had so much fun exploring in a game for a long time. I'm a Imperial Level 11 custom class; Mercentile, Blade, Block, Sercurity, Sneak, Marksmenship, and Light Armor.

Settings:
1024x768 4xAA 8xAF
Bloom
Self Shadows, Grass shadows, and tree canopy are off
Specular Max
All distance settings are at 3/4 except trees which are at about 1/2

Heres a screen, Cropped it up to make it look nicer...

[quote name='Metal Boss']Actually, unless you have an illegal crack, yeah you do need the disc. Way to support bethesda![/QUOTE]

So you've never shared something with a friend?

Or borrowed a game for an extended period of time and beat the hell out of it?

This is personally the first time I've "jointly" bought someone with someone, but people go in together and games all the time and share it. For instance, a friend and his buddy both payed half for Half Life 2.

And to any pirate comments: to be honest, I probably would have pirated the game, but I got a letter from my ISP like literally a week before this came out about copyright infringement. I download a lot but I still buy more than my fair share of stuff. Oblivion was kind of the exception to the rule, because this is a game I would have legitimately paid full price for, but I was extremely strapped for cash because I'm in college and get paid $5.15 (I'm not kidding) an hour.

I realize that doesn't excuse piracy, etc, but... whatever. Giving my cousin $15 for a game is better than straight-up downloading off the internet.

Obviously, I could defend myself, but then I can realistically assume the people I am talking to are probably just being hypocritical. Have they never had someone copy a CD or game for them before? I would really doubt they had never done it.

So you guys turned distant viewing off, then? That's one thing I adore about this game, Reasonably enough, it is going to be an absolute system hog, though. So you just set the view distance down (thus eliminating the "view forever" feature)? I don't know if I could do that! It looks too pretty.

I'm playing with most settings on high and AA on 2x. I get some pretty bad stuttering when I'm outside, though. I'd say my frame rate is only like 15-20 when I'm outside or around really huge buildings in a town.

I am having just a fucking blast with this, though.

[quote name='Toireht']Game is a blast...havent had so much fun exploring in a game for a long time. I'm a Imperial Level 11 custom class; Mercentile, Blade, Block, Sercurity, Sneak, Marksmenship, and Light Armor. [/QUOTE]

I have three I play... I switch up every couple hours:
- A Khajitt thief
- A Breton warlock
- An Imperial good-guy warrior

All of them are pretty much dominant and heavily skewed towards that class... I mean, I made custom ones, but none of them are very balanced. Unlike Morrowind, I want to play as really specific characters this time around (that wasn't really possible in the last game since sneaking around and magic sucked)

Every so often a game comes along that makes me yearn for a gaming comp. I guess the time has come.

I'm considering:
AMD 64 3700+
1 gig RAM
Geforce 6800GS CO SE

Seems like this will run Oblivion. I've sorted through a couple posts, does anyone have anything similar to this setup that can give me an idea of how well it will run on this setup?

[quote name='lpj8']Seems like this will run Oblivion. I've sorted through a couple posts, does anyone have anything similar to this setup that can give me an idea of how well it will run on this setup?[/QUOTE]

My system is quite similar, except you have a little faster CPU which I believe will help you more then another GB of ram in this game. The frames in my game are: 20-35 outside, 30-50 in town, and dungeons 40+. I have some settings on which brings frames done quite a bit but I like the graphics more then frames. If it was a Shooter i would probaly go for more frames. Now 20 may sound low but with this one coolbit tweak everyone is talking about, it really didnt boost my frames but it made them smoother and the mouse smooth so 20fps feels like 30fps actually.

IMHO, I would go for a 7800 instead of the 6800...but if money is a problem the 6800 will be just fine.

Edit: Some reason signature not showing, go up 4 posts to see my system.

[quote name='Toireht']My system is quite similar, except you have a little faster CPU which I believe will help you more then another GB of ram in this game. The frames in my game are: 20-35 outside, 30-50 in town, and dungeons 40+. I have some settings on which brings frames done quite a bit but I like the graphics more then frames. If it was a Shooter i would probaly go for more frames. Now 20 may sound low but with this one coolbit tweak everyone is talking about, it really didnt boost my frames but it made them smoother and the mouse smooth so 20fps feels like 30fps actually.

IMHO, I would go for a 7800 instead of the 6800...but if money is a problem the 6800 will be just fine.

Edit: Some reason signature not showing, go up 4 posts to see my system.[/quote]

Thanks for the info! I'd like to get a 7800 but the price difference between the 6800 and the 7800 is the killer. This will be the first system I've build from scratch, I figure it about time for an upgrade.

Anyone else having problems with the intro video? Parts of the screen would stutter while the other part was going smoothly.

[quote name='Swingman']Anyone else having problems with the intro video? Parts of the screen would stutter while the other part was going smoothly.[/quote]

Yup, I had that. I never had the problem come up again after that. Only the intro.

And is anyone else annoyed how the NPCs switch voices?

[quote name='dtarasev']
And is anyone else annoyed how the NPCs switch voices?[/quote]

That is weird, you will have an old lady begger asking for money, then you give it to her and she sounds like she is 20

Well, I kinda knew it was gonna happen, but Oblivion has kicked my computer's ass. Time to finally upgrade it, but it seems that in the three years I've had this computer, AGP has gone out of style now that PCI-e is the way too go. So looks like this is gonna become one expensive trip to upgrade the computer. Stupid 5900 Ultra sucking now.

Yeah I have a vanilla 6600 and I'm waiting. It would technically run but I want my experience to be better than that.

I'm looking at now just getting a top of the line AGP card and hoping that lasts me for awhile. Either the Radeon X850XT PE or the Geforce 7800 GS CO Superclocked. Not sure yet.

[quote name='karsh']I'm looking at now just getting a top of the line AGP card and hoping that lasts me for awhile. Either the Radeon X850XT PE or the Geforce 7800 GS CO Superclocked. Not sure yet.[/QUOTE]

I honestly wouldn't bother with AGP anymore. I'd really recommend replacing the mobo and getting a PCI-express card. AGP cards simply aren't worth it anymore.

[quote name='Chacrana']I honestly wouldn't bother with AGP anymore. I'd really recommend replacing the mobo and getting a PCI-express card. AGP cards simply aren't worth it anymore.[/quote]

The thing is, despite knowing this, it's just completely out of the price range I can afford to update the mobo and get a PCI-e card, since I would then need to get a new processor too. I've already seen people online who have the 7800 GS overclocked card from eVGA, and Oblivion plays on the highest settings very smoothly. That's all I'm asking for, and to let me get through the next year at most of games. And I don't even need to play at the highest settings, as long as it runs smoothly. I just can't even get Oblivion to run smoothly on this computer right now, where the only weak link I can see is the video card, as the rest is a 2.6 GHz Pentium 4 processor and a gig of DDR400 RAM.

[quote name='karsh'] I just can't even get Oblivion to run smoothly on this computer right now, where the only weak link I can see is the video card, as the rest is a 2.6 GHz Pentium 4 processor and a gig of DDR400 RAM.[/quote]

Hmm, Whats the FSB on the processor?

For the guys running it now, Is one gig cutting it or would you reccomend Two gigs?

Also a random question: I dont have a 360 but i have an HD tv. Whats the process of getting the video out to run on the HD Tv? I have done it on my old analog tv, but Im not sure if the HD would change everything which im sure it would. And would that even run well, Being the Tvs resolutions are higher.

I was thinking of getting that adapter so that a 360 controller would work with the computer.

Just started this today. Named my character Flonne, even though I couldnt get her to look like it in any way. She's handy with a bow and restoration magic, and of course, she's sneaky. nin nin

It is so hard to resist "cheating."

I am SO tempted to just make a shitload of potions (which is effortless) to raise my alchemy ability to allow to me make valuable potions which will, in turn, allow me to sell them at high prices and get a lot of money in return... but I feel cheap doing that.

What are your views on this? I like my guy to get better as I use abilities (and I never train), but the fact that alchemy is almost effortless to level up kind of spoils it and ruins the fun...

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']It is so hard to resist "cheating."

I am SO tempted to just make a shitload of potions (which is effortless) to raise my alchemy ability to allow to me make valuable potions which will, in turn, allow me to sell them at high prices and get a lot of money in return... but I feel cheap doing that.

What are your views on this? I like my guy to get better as I use abilities (and I never train), but the fact that alchemy is almost effortless to level up kind of spoils it and ruins the fun...[/quote]

If it really spoils your fun, I say resist the urge. But I wouldn't call it cheating if you can legitimately do it within the confines of the game system.

Vegan, I've got a 6600GT card and it runs great on it! So you might be ok. I haven't tried FRAPS to see what I'm getting, but it's *very* playable and looks great.

Dr. Mario Kart--that's exactly the character I'm playing right now!! It's a ton of fun sneaking around one-shotting baddies with arrows!

[quote name='Metal Boss']I cheated on the vampire quest, when i got bit during the night, just summoned the cure vampire disease because that quest is so poorly designed, and tedious. Here's my dude, dudes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/asshat11/Oblivion2006-03-2713-04-46-56.jpg[/QUOTE]

I cheated on the arena quest... the three argonians kept knocking me down and beating the crap out of me, and it was annoying. I just used the Kill command on two of them, and wiped the floor with the last one.

What's incredibly satisfying in the arena is when you've beaten your opponent and then you sheath your weapon and just procede the punch the shit out of their dead body and maybe drag it around a bit.

[quote name='Metal Boss']I cheated on the vampire quest, when i got bit during the night, just summoned the cure vampire disease because that quest is so poorly designed, and tedious. Here's my dude, dudes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/asshat11/Oblivion2006-03-2713-04-46-56.jpg[/QUOTE]

I did also. The quest is so dumb and it takes many hours to complete - all while you can't travel during the DAY, which is absolutely horrid.

[quote name='Moxio']I did also. The quest is so dumb and it takes many hours to complete - all while you can't travel during the DAY, which is absolutely horrid.[/QUOTE]

I'm stuck on a stupid quets where you have to find this missing painting in the Chorrol Castle. I know what's up. There's this one lady whpo took it.

1) She told me she hated the ainting (Motive)
2) She lied about her whereabouts that night. (She said she was Stargazing when it was rainign out.)
3) I found a painting where she was hanging out a lot.
4) And then painting gear hidden in her room. So she's obviously an artist. But I don't know why she's hiding it. or why she bears a grudge.

Anyway, now I'm stuck. And I don't want to move on until I solve this. I''ve searched every section of the castle, talked to everyone, I'm now down to searching for secret compartments.

Anywya, iof anyone has done this quest, a hint would be appreciated on what I do next.

[quote name='Vegan']If it really spoils your fun, I say resist the urge. But I wouldn't call it cheating if you can legitimately do it within the confines of the game system.[/QUOTE]

Eh, that's a good point.

But it definitely does spoil the fun... I don't know if I said this before, but there's really nothing as fun as saving up for hours and hours just to buy one half-way decent piece of equipment.

It almost parallels real life, and saving up for something you've wanted.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']I'm stuck on a stupid quets where you have to find this missing painting in the Chorrol Castle. I know what's up. There's this one lady whpo took it.

1) She told me she hated the ainting (Motive)
2) She lied about her whereabouts that night. (She said she was Stargazing when it was rainign out.)
3) I found a painting where she was hanging out a lot.
4) And then painting gear hidden in her room. So she's obviously an artist. But I don't know why she's hiding it. or why she bears a grudge.

Anyway, now I'm stuck. And I don't want to move on until I solve this. I''ve searched every section of the castle, talked to everyone, I'm now down to searching for secret compartments.

Anywya, iof anyone has done this quest, a hint would be appreciated on what I do next.[/QUOTE]

I know it's cheating, but I've gotten stuck so many times I just warp to the quest target. I'd rather cheat than blow an artery.

If you're interested, the command is movetoqt

bread's done
Back