The Official PlayStation Vita Thread - 11/4: FW 3.00 Coming Just in Time for the PS4 Launch!

[quote name='Snap']I'm not so sure that the PSP emulator is a one time dev effort. So far only a small fraction of the PSP games on PSN are available on Vita, many of them are missing and can not be installed even from ones download list.

It's starting to looking eerily similar to the PS2 emulator on PS3. We all know how well that ended up.[/QUOTE]

True, I was just trying to keep the point simple. But I'd still say that the effort for an emulator is mainly up front (the initial development) where you get support for "most" games and then you focus on addressing the issues related to emulator-incompatible games on a case-by-case basis. Whereas the alternate approach would be to treat every game as a case-by-case basis since each one would need moderate to significant rewriting to play on the Vita, probably by the original developer (where Sony is the only developer for the emulator).

But yeah, I'm also getting flashbacks to the PS2 software emulation situation with the PS3. But given that Odin Sphere has been released on PSN and I can play it on my slim PS3 (I think it even shows up as a PS2 game...or at least in the PS2 folder for my games), I'm not sure PS2 software emulation is completely dead on the PS3 (though maybe just supported for PSN games, not disk games). Of course, this may be a situation where they also had to modify the original PS2 game to be downloadable from PSN and run on the PS3.

Compatible PSP games with the vita and how to download:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/02/09/how-to-download-psp-titles-to-ps-vita/

PSP Titles

101-in-1 Megamix
300: March To Glory
The 3rd Birthday
Ace Combat: Joint Assault
Adventures To Go!
Alpha Mission II
Archer Maclean’s Mercury
Armored Core 3 Portable
Armored Core: Last Raven Portable
Armored Core: Silent Line Portable
Art of Fighting
Assassin’s Creed: Bloodlines
Baseball Stars Professional
Blade Dancer Lineage of Light
BlazBlue Portable: Calamity Trigger
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II
Blazing Souls Accelate
Bomberman
Bomberman ’94
Bomberman Land
Bomberman Legacy
Chameleon
ClaDun x2
Cladun: This is an RPG!
Class of Heroes
Corpse Party
Creature Defense
Crimson Gem Saga
Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower
Daxter
Dead or Alive Paradise
Dirt 2
Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness
Disgaea: Infinite
Dissidia 012 [Duodecim] Prologus: Final Fantasy
Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy
Dissidia: Final Fantasy
DJ Max Portable 3
Dragon’s Lair
Dragoneer’s Aria
Dungeon Explorer
Dungeon Explorer: Warriors of Ancient Arts
Dungeon Maker Hunting Ground
Dynasty Warriors
Dynasty Warriors Vol. 2
Dynasty Warriors: Strike Force
Eye of Judgment Legends
Fading Shadows
Fatal Fury
Fate/Extra
Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
Gladiator Begins
God of War: Chains of Olympus
God of War: Ghost of Sparta
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus
Half-Minute Hero
Harvest Moon: Boy and Girl
Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley
Hoard
Hot Brain
IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey
Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon
Jikandia: The Timeless Land
Justice League Heroes
Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble
The King of Fighters ’94
The King of Fighters ’95
Knights in the Nightmare
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend
League Bowling
Legend of Heroes, The: Trails in the Sky
LEGO Batman: The Videogame
LEGO Harry Potter Years 5-7
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean
Lord of Arcana
Lord of the Rings, The: Aragorn’s Quest Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
Magician Lord
Major League Baseball 2K11
Mana Khemia: Student Alliance
Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X
Metal Slug
Metal Slug 2
Metal Slug Anthology
Metal Slug XX
Military History: Commander: Europe at War
Mimana Iyar Chronicle
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
MX vs. ATV: Reflex
NBA 2K10
NBA 2K11
NBA 2K12
NeoGeo Heroes: Ultimate Shooting
Neutopia
New Adventure Island
No Heroes Allowed!
Patapon 2
Petz Dogz Family
Petz Hamsterz Bunch
Petz Saddle Club
Phantom Brave: The Hermuda Triangle
Pool Hall Pro
Power Stone Collection
Prince of Persia: Revelations
Prince of Persia: Rival Swords
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
Prinny 2: Dawn of Operation Panties, Dood!
Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero?
Puzzle Guzzle
Ridge Racer
Riviera: The Promised Land
Samurai Shodown
Samurai Shodown Anthology
Samurai Warriors: State of War
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2: Innocent Sin
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable
Shock Troopers
SNK Arcade Classics Volume 1
SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALs: Tactical Strike
Soldier Blade
Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max
Super Sidekicks
Super Star Soldier
Syphon Filter: Logan’s Shadow
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Tekken 6
TNT Racers
Tokobot
Tom Clancy’s Endwar
Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Predator
Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Essentials
Tron: Evolution: The Video Game
UFC Undisputed 2010
Ultimate Board Game Collection
Ultimate Ghosts ‘n Goblins
Valhalla Knights
Vertigo
Victory Run
Warriors of the Lost Empire
Warriors Orochi
Warriors Orochi 2
What Did I do to Deserve This My Lord?
What Did I do to Deserve This My Lord? 2
Wild Arms XF
World Heroes
World Sports Competition
Worms: Battle Islands
WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw 2011
Yggdra Union
Ys Seven
Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Z. H. P.: Unlosing Ranger Vs. Darkdeath Evilman

PlayStation Minis

3, 2, 1…SuperCrash!
4×4 Jam
5 in 1 Arcade Hits
Ace Armstrong Vs. The Alien Scumbags!
Actual Crimes: Jack The Ripper
Aero Racer
Age of Hammer Wars
Age of Zombies
Alien Havoc
Alien Zombie Death
Alpha Mission
Ancient Game Treasures: Mill
Apache Overkill
Aquattack!
Arcade Darts
Arcade Essentials
Arcade Essentials Evolution
Archibald’s Adventures
Arctic Adventures
Athena
Babel: The King of the Blocks
Bashi Blocks
Beam ‘Em Up
Blast Off
Blimp: The Flying Adventures
Block Cascade Fusion
Boom Beats
BreakQuest
Brick Breaker
Bubble Trubble
Bunny Dodge
Burnin’ Rubber
Busy Sweets Factory
Car Jack Streets
Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter
Caterpillar
Charge! Tank Squad!
Circles
Coconut Dodge
Cubixx
D-Cube Planet
Deflector
Digi-Tiles
Doodle Fit
Dr. MiniGames
Dynogems
Earthshield
Echoes
Express Raider
Flick Fishing
Flying Hamster
Fort Commander II: Counterattack
Fort Commander: King’s Gambit
Fortix
Freekscape: Escape From Hell
Funky Punch
Gold Fever
Hello Flowerz
Heracles Chariot Racing HISTORY: Egypt Engineering an Empire
HISTORY: Ice Road Truckers
Hot Shots Shorties: Blue Pack
Hot Shots Shorties: Green Pack
Hot Shots Shorties: Red Pack
Hot Shots Shorties: Yellow Pack
Hysteria Project
I Must Run!
Influence
Jane’s Hotel
JellyCar 2
Jewel Keepers: Easter Islands
Kahoots
Legend of Kunoichi
Let’s Golf
Lock ‘n’ Chase
Love Cupid
Mahjong Solitaire
Me Monster: Hear Me Roar!
Mighty Flip Champs! DX
MiniSquadron
Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess
N.O.V.A.
Normal Tanks
One Two Boat Racing
Pallurikio
Panda Craze
Pinball Dreams
Pinball Fantasies
Quiz Animania
Ramen Heaven
Reef Aquarium
Retro Cave Flyer
Robin Hood: The Return of Richard
Rocks N’ Rockets
Route 66
Shapo
Sheep Defense
Shogi
Smash Break
Space Shooter for 2 Bucks!, A
Spaceball: Revolution
Spot the Differences!
Stellar Attack
Sweet Reversi
Tehra: Dark Warrior
Telegraph Crosswords
Telegraph Sudoku & Kakuro
Urbanix
Vempire
Vibes
VT Tennis
Who’s That Flying?!
Widget’s Odyssey 2
Widgets Odyssey
Young Thor
Yummy Yummy Cooking Jam
Zenonia
Zombie Tycoon

Also,

VC II https://twitter.com/#!/uncyrus/status/167699282227511297
Pixel Junk Monsters Deluxe https://twitter.com/#!/dylancuthbert/status/147850180585193472/photo/1

Figures Angry Birds minis isn't supported. Probably want to charge $7.99 for a Vita version..and after I actually went thru the effort to get the code for the updated version and keeping the install bubble on my PS3..

Extremely disappointed that they don't mention Media Go as a way to transfer PSP games to the Vita. It's where I store all of my digital games and saves, so I expected to be able to transfer that stuff over to it like I do with my PSP.

They say at the end that it's not a final list, as there will be more added over the next few weeks:
Here are the first 275 PSP titles ready to be downloaded onto PS Vita. Don’t worry if you don’t see your favorite title here now; more PSP titles will be made available for PS Vita play in the coming weeks. We’ll keep this list current and let you know when updates are made.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Compatible PSP games with the vita and how to download:

VC II https://twitter.com/#!/uncyrus/status/167699282227511297
Pixel Junk Monsters Deluxe https://twitter.com/#!/dylancuthbert/status/147850180585193472/photo/1[/QUOTE]

Yes, VC2 does work if you have it uninstalled on a PS3 via content manager. It is not available in the actual US Vita store.

Dylan is showing off the Japanese version on a Japanese PSN/SEN account. PixelJunk Monster Deluxe is currently NOT available for download or install via content manager with a US PSN/SEN account.

Even though it isn't the final list, I find it weird that none of the 'Welcome Back' PSP games made the list. Seems like that would've been a nice gesture, but that might just be me.

The PS Blog's official unboxing video if you haven't seen a million of them in the past two months:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPQz0NyW0MU

This one kind of seems to be for the first edition bundle, though they already have the case and game out at the start. It also confirms that Little Deviants comes in a normal Vita case and not a cardboard sleeve.

[quote name='007']Even though it isn't the final list, I find it weird that none of the 'Welcome Back' PSP games made the list. Seems like that would've been a nice gesture, but that might just be me.[/QUOTE]

Lol, just noticed.

[quote name='007']Even though it isn't the final list, I find it weird that none of the 'Welcome Back' PSP games made the list. Seems like that would've been a nice gesture, but that might just be me.[/QUOTE]
Killzone:Liberation is installable via PS3 to Vita. It's just not available via the Vita store interface yet. VC2 is also like that.

I did not download LBP or MNR.

Ah, okay. I misunderstood that. Glad to hear I was wrong, actually.

As it stands, I only have two downloaded PSP games, both from that program, so I would've been a bit irked if I couldn't access them.

I don't want to get flamed, but has any one actually cancelled a preorder altogether?

I would love to get a vita, but none of the games are really ooh-ing me at the moment, the 2 I wanted ended up being a few months off, and I'm sfreaid if a price drop soon. That would really piss me off if I bought full price right away.

[quote name='orntar']I don't want to get flamed, but has any one actually cancelled a preorder altogether?

I would love to get a vita, but none of the games are really ooh-ing me at the moment, the 2 I wanted ended up being a few months off, and I'm sfreaid if a price drop soon. That would really piss me off if I bought full price right away.[/QUOTE]

I'm suppose to get for my birthday but I understand if people get scared away because of the whole 3DS thing. I think the best thing for people to do is to wait a month and see how its doing. Hopefully it does well because it has a lot of potential.

[quote name='orntar']I don't want to get flamed, but has any one actually cancelled a preorder altogether?

I would love to get a vita, but none of the games are really ooh-ing me at the moment, the 2 I wanted ended up being a few months off, and I'm sfreaid if a price drop soon. That would really piss me off if I bought full price right away.[/QUOTE]

I did, 2x Vitas. I'm not excited about Uncharted, Katamari was the only launch title I would have bought. Gravity Rush looks awesome, but it's so far the only must-have, and it won't be out at launch. I really wanted the PS3Vita feature, but who knows if it'll actually be utilized much, or the cost increase. The memory card prices was what tipped me over, on top of 2x Vitas/PSPs per account.

I'm sure I'll eventually get one or two, bust or not.

Still haven't canceled my pre-order. But I probably will. Looks good, but not $280-$300 good imo. I keep looking at Vita news trying to justify the purchase though. :)

I cancelled my Amazon pre-order a few weeks ago. There are just too many good PS3 games that I really want to play coming out right now and this spring, especially the RPGs like FF13-2, Tales of Graces F, Reckoning, and Mass Effect 3. I figured I could wait until this coming holiday where there will likely be some sort of bundle or other deal, plus Persona 4 The Golden ought to be out by then (I hope).

I still have my preorder for a Wifi and 8gb card, I guess I will wait till after the first edition is out for the reception response.

I really want gravity rush and dragons crown. I could wait for them to buy the system.

I pre-ordered and paid off a Vita back in July at Gamestop (amusingly enough using primarily credit from trading in a 3DS exactly 1 week before the price drop announcement when it was still trading for $170). Then in about October I decided to cancel the whole thing. The credit is gone now but I continue to struggle with whether or not to buy one out of pocket. I just keep going back and forth.

I've canceled my pre-order as well, though that doesn't concretely mean I'm not getting one at launch. The combination of price (system, bundles, memory cards, Uncharted), the sheer amount of choices (I can't begin to fathom how much time I've spent debating various bundles and combinations), and the very very soft Japanese launch have made me very unsure that I want to commit quite that much money to this right away.

I still want one, but I'm less and less sure of the 'why' with each passing day. Plus, It hasn't helped that I don't particularly need a new system right now. Between the 3DS (Resident Evil, MGS, Kid Icarus) and the 360 (Mass fucking Effect 3), my gaming time is pretty much booked solid for the next two months.

I'll get a Vita eventually, but each passing day seems to give me more and more reasons to just wait a few months. A new Vita would certainly make the summer game drought easier to ride out, anyway.

I went back and forth a lot about buying a Vita too; had a WiFi version preordered from earlier in 2011, then cancelled that after I heard about the 3G/WiFi bundle with the 8GB card. Took a long time thinking about what I wanted to do, then finally decided to order the 3G/WiFi today, along with the Sony zippered case, screen protectors, and 3 games. Signed up for Amazon credit card to give me 6 months to pay for it, which helps.

I wasn't blown away by the launch titles, but there are some down the line that I'm really interested in, like Dragon's Crown and Warrior's Lair (formerly Ruin). And Gravity Rush and Stardust look fantastic too.

I just think the Vita represents a really nice, cutting-edge product for a new release, and will have plenty of good games down the line; I don't mind paying a little more to be an early adopter.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The PS Blog's official unboxing video if you haven't seen a million of them in the past two months:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPQz0NyW0MUvideo snip

This one kind of seems to be for the first edition bundle, though they already have the case and game out at the start. It also confirms that Little Deviants comes in a normal Vita case and not a cardboard sleeve.[/QUOTE]

Finally, the Sony shill posts a video and reveals not only being on the Sony payroll, but also being an attractive female. Myke is vindicated!

So apperently Vita's not too hard to crack open to theoretically replace the battery, but does anyone know if someone's tried running Vita WITHOUT the battery yet?

I'm hoping that works, so that years down the line at worst I can just pull it out and still play my Vita games with it plugged in.

PSP and PS3 both work with their batteries pulled...so I'm like 50% hopeful....

(NIntendo's portables do NOT work without the battery, and in fact seem to discharge even when plugged in....which is disturbing, but then Sony's engineering seems 90x better)

Vita should still run as you can use the AC adapter to power the device and charge the battery. The Nintendo handhelds like DS and 3DS only come with chargers which cannot power the systems without the battery.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Sorry, not sure what you're asking.[/QUOTE]
You're saying you pulled the battery out of your PS3 and ran it on AC power, except it doesn't have a battery and always runs on AC power.

[quote name='AndrewCP']Vita should still run as you can use the AC adapter to power the device and charge the battery. The Nintendo handhelds like DS and 3DS only come with chargers which cannot power the systems without the battery.[/QUOTE]

Do you know though if it runs with the battery pulled? Like if it's not there at all? I'm kind of hopeful it will given they PSP and PS3 do, but I still wish I knew if someone had checked this....

EDIT: I'm ALMOST to the point where I may just pull my launch Vita apart to test this if no one's done it yet... Hell, I did it with my PS3 :lol:

It's not hard to get to the battery but Sony always provides actual AC adapters which have a purpose to supply power to the device hence the brick. Nintendo provides you with chargers which evidently do not have any kind of power supply and can only charge their system.

Why isn't Gravity a launch game? Seems weird to see some titles pushed a week or two after launch that would be easy sales (Mortal Kombat for instance). Gravity looks pretty sweet. I might check it out depending how fast I get through Ninja and Shinobi

[quote name='mwynn']http://us.playstation.com/psvita/apps/psvita-app-near.html

Through near your location can be calculated through Wi-Fi hot spots or in 3G models, with use of GPS technology which is an exclusive capability of the 3G model.[/QUOTE]

Which the GPS in the 3G model can only be utilized if using the 3G service, at least that is the common consensus thus far. Only a matter of time before we will have some confirmation of that fact.

[quote name='kaikou']Which the GPS in the 3G model can only be utilized if using the 3G service, at least that is the common consensus thus far. Only a matter of time before we will have some confirmation of that fact.[/QUOTE]

Really? that would suck.

[quote name='kaikou']Which the GPS in the 3G model can only be utilized if using the 3G service, at least that is the common consensus thus far. Only a matter of time before we will have some confirmation of that fact.[/QUOTE]Weird, the common consensus that I've seen elsewhere is that it doesn't need it.

And I personally believe that as well.

[quote name='dallow']Weird, the common consensus that I've seen elsewhere is that it doesn't need it.

And I personally believe that as well.[/QUOTE]

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/61882808

I'm in no way saying gamefaqs posters are offering definitive evidence, but I'd be interested in seeing what you've found as far as being able to utilize the GPS without a 3G connection.

The GPS chip only works via 3G, as it triangulates cell towers to find your location.

I haven't seen anyone state GPS can work without having an active 3G or WiFi connection.

However I'm sure someone will try and get GPS to work without a 3G connection once these start arriving to people, so in time we'll have some sort of confirmation.

Being I have no intention of paying AT&T a monthly fee for 3G, when I can utilize tethering on my phone, I opted for the WiFi model. Also the WiFi model weighs less. :p

Plus tethering with a cell phone will allow for online gaming. ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
Most phones/devices with cell radios use what is called AGPS. (Assisted GPS). It is less expensive (cost, size and power) than a dedicated GPS chip.

Finally got to play one at Gamestop, I was very impressed. This is the system I've always wanted, big bright screen, two nubs, but I'm also due for a phone upgrade, so I'm torn on what to do.

[quote name='Mikocouch']Gravity Rush looks like the game that is going to sell the vita for me.

[youtube]wPRznJt4nJg[/youtube][/QUOTE]

Game looks SO AMAZING! :drool:

[quote name='docvinh']Finally got to play one at Gamestop, I was very impressed. This is the system I've always wanted, big bright screen, two nubs, but I'm also due for a phone upgrade, so I'm torn on what to do.[/QUOTE]

Get a free phone and buy the Vita!

Really on the fence about pulling the trigger on an one of these... I HATE buying a system at launch, but the idea of being able to play a ton of PSP RPGs & the God of War games on the Vita's big screen is enticing.

I, too, am pulled in by the "ooh, new, shiny" of it all.

Then I skim through the launch lineup, the price of those titles, the price of the memory cards, and the existence/cost of DLC and I'm turned right off.

The 239.99 deal at (that site that rhymes with rockerz) is what pushed me over the edge. I wasn't sure on pulling the trigger until Gravity Rush came out.

[quote name='mykevermin']I, too, am pulled in by the "ooh, new, shiny" of it all.

Then I skim through the launch lineup, the price of those titles, the price of the memory cards, and the existence/cost of DLC and I'm turned right off.[/QUOTE]

Why do you keep talking about the price of the games? Most games are $40 which is normal for handheld games and some are $30.

The one title worth a fuck at launch is $50, so it's quite clear that they're testing the waters for an across the board $10 premium.

$40 for the *quality* of launch titles available is pretty bloody laughable. It's not what the games are, it's not how much the games are, it's *both*.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma? A remake of a 2006 remake of a 2004 Xbox1 game? You *really* want to release that? Fine. But for $40? Christ.

So, yeah, they're $40 for some spectacularly underwhelming titles, $50 for the most original of the bunch. So I don't find that appealing.

You know who else didn't find it appealing? PSP consumers. One of the biggest mistakes of the PSP (which led to a third party exodus over time) was when it occurred to publishers that consumers weren't buying console games at console prices for a portable system. That is, with few exceptions (Mortal Kombat Unchained and a few others, I believe), PSP releases of games available for PS2/Xbox did not sell well.

Now they're trying it again.

Tell me about that $239 deal. PM if necessary. I may jump on it if it's really good.

[quote name='mykevermin']The one title worth a fuck at launch is $50, so it's quite clear that they're testing the waters for an across the board $10 premium.

$40 for the *quality* of launch titles available is pretty bloody laughable. It's not what the games are, it's not how much the games are, it's *both*.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma? A remake of a 2006 remake of a 2004 Xbox1 game? You *really* want to release that? Fine. But for $40? Christ.

So, yeah, they're $40 for some spectacularly underwhelming titles, $50 for the most original of the bunch. So I don't find that appealing.[/QUOTE]

You're mistaking your opinions as facts. I'm pretty sure don't think Uncharted is the title worth getting.

[quote name='JG5253']Why do you keep talking about the price of the games? Most games are $40 which is normal for handheld games and some are $30.[/QUOTE]

I don't have a problem paying $40 for a handheld game. I do, however, have a massive problem paying $30 for 3 tracks/5 cars, and $30 for 13 Katamari levels.

Me and My Katamari was short, and it had 20 levels. Katamari Forever had 34.

bread's done
Back