The Official PS3 System Update Thread - 3.10 Available Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='chodax']I'm stillwaiting for my update that seperates my demos from full games =[[/QUOTE]
Yeah that would be nice.

Does anyone know if you can start a chat in XMB, then go into a game with your fellow chattee and continue conversation there? I have heard that this is possible with 360, and I can think of a few instances where this would be useful.

~S

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']You're exactly right. It's all our fault.[/QUOTE]Sorry, I might have sounded like a dick, but that's how I usually post when people are like at a few PS forums (Hurry up Sony and get Firmware 2.0 up), because I get sick of people wanting them to rush (I want firmware that actually works and not freaking buggy). Writing software for hardware myself (since I'm an Electrical Engineer and part Software Engineer), I know the difficulties when integrating. I have downloaded in the evening (even under my slow internet connection) and don't have issues. Many Sony just likes to make firmware upgrade difficult for 360 fans. :p

The last part was just me referring to, I learned to just download firmware in the morning, since there's usually a big crowd as soon as the firmware goes up. It's not just firmware I download in the morning, but PS Store content too.
[quote name='snowsquirrel']Yeah that would be nice.

Does anyone know if you can start a chat in XMB, then go into a game with your fellow chattee and continue conversation there? I have heard that this is possible with 360, and I can think of a few instances where this would be useful.

~S[/QUOTE]You can't, and it probably won't happen until maybe Firmware 3.0. Phil himself stated that it may not be completely possible, due to different SPEs and such being used in different games. Doing so would take up a lot of memory on the XMB. Right now, there just isn't sufficient memory to do it (which is why every firmware upgrade reduces the system memory being used, to hopefully allow more features in the feature. One reason there's no in-game XMB yet has to do with memory).

You can't, and it probably won't happen until maybe Firmware 3.0 Phil himself stated that it may not be completely possible, due to different SPEs and such being used in different games. Doing would take up a lot of memory on the XMB also. Right now, there just isn't sufficient memory to do it (which is why every firmware upgrade reduces the system memory being used, to hopefully allow more features in the feature. One reason there's no in-game XMB yet has to do with memory).

One SPE is reserved for the OS anyway, I would think they could leverage that fact. As for memory, 360 is able to manage. I wonder why the XMB requires so much more memory than the dashboard.

I guess you could be having a chat, then just launch the game, and send an invite. Just not quite the same level of polish. I would rather have them devote time to stuff like this, than Home. Oh, well.

~S

I'd like some organizational options, and I'd also like to change the color (or even the font!) of the text

Wouldn't it be interesting/cool if consoles released in the future featured parts that could be removed and swaped out like a computer (i.e. RAM, Vid Card, open slots for additional hardware - we've seen it before but actually make this worthwile and something people would take advantage of)
That would probably cause a lot of complications, but that would be a neat if it worked.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I'd like some organizational options, and I'd also like to change the color (or even the font!) of the text

Wouldn't it be interesting/cool if consoles released in the future featured parts that could be removed and swaped out like a computer (i.e. RAM, Vid Card, open slots for additional hardware - we've seen it before but actually make this worthwile and something people would take advantage of)
That would probably cause a lot of complications, but that would be a neat if it worked.[/quote]
It wouldn't be a console, just a full-blown computer. And no, it wouldn't be cool.

[quote name='snowsquirrel']One SPE is reserved for the OS anyway, I would think they could leverage that fact. As for memory, 360 is able to manage. I wonder why the XMB requires so much more memory than the dashboard.

I guess you could be having a chat, then just launch the game, and send an invite. Just not quite the same level of polish. I would rather have them devote time to stuff like this, than Home. Oh, well.

~S[/QUOTE]The difference between the 360 and PS3 is that the 360 does have more available main memory (because it isn't split like the PS3). One reason why you gotta log onto a webpage for the PS Store has to do with not enough memory. The DVD upscaling, showing the animated videos, and many of the XMB functions do use up a lot of memory. I had this all explained to me once at a forum, but I gotta find that post. For a while, there just wasn't enough available memory to efficiently do in-game XMB. If there isn't enough memory to do that even, then there's definitely not enough memory to do VOIP yet. It's just one of those features that was never really thought of when making the PS3 (in-game XMB was though).

Well, there's a separate firmware team (in Japan) and Home team, so it we'll get both anyway. Home is just Sony's way of differentiating itself from the competition.
[quote name='Inf^Shini']I'd like some organizational options, and I'd also like to change the color (or even the font!) of the text

That would probably cause a lot of complications, but that would be a neat if it worked.[/QUOTE]I just want larger XMB font size. In 1080i, the text is too tiny and I have difficulties seeing it (Part of the problem is my eye-sight, but it really is too small).

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It wouldn't be a console, just a full-blown computer. And no, it wouldn't be cool.[/quote]
I must be on your "To Heckle" list :whistle2:k

It would be cool, maybe not the vid card and all that, but like a pretty customizeable system would be....COOL

At least a system that we can load up a bunch of codecs in and watch/play w/e we like with no restrictions :D, my comp is fine, but watching stuff on a HDTV is much better :cool:

I don`t see any difference between 1.92 and 1.93. Some says that internet is faster or something like that ... But I don`t see any difference.

[quote name='Besko']I don`t see any difference between 1.92 and 1.93. Some says that internet is faster or something like that ... But I don`t see any difference.[/QUOTE]There was an issue with some people not being able to go online, so that's why Sony made the upgrade.

I just tryed to play ratchet and it said I needed to update to 1.94. Anyone know what was updated since 1.93?

[quote name='whoknows']I think I heard it was rumble support, not 100% sure though.[/quote]

Yea, I just looked at some other forums and that is the general consensus about this update. You can now hook up your old ps2 controller and play games with rumble.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I must be on your "To Heckle" list :whistle2:k

It would be cool, maybe not the vid card and all that, but like a pretty customizeable system would be....COOL

At least a system that we can load up a bunch of codecs in and watch/play w/e we like with no restrictions :D, my comp is fine, but watching stuff on a HDTV is much better :cool:[/QUOTE]

you're still talking about a PC :lol:

how about this-- next time you buy a TV, get an LCD or something you can hook your PC up to, so you don't have to cram your neck at a desk. There's your modifiable living room console of the future :lol:

[quote name='Apossum']you're still talking about a PC :lol:

how about this-- next time you buy a TV, get an LCD or something you can hook your PC up to, so you don't have to cram your neck at a desk. There's your modifiable living room console of the future :lol:[/quote]

I gave up on this argument awhile ago :lol:

Once I get a whole new setup, everything with my comp is gonna be bluetooth and I WILL be using my PC in my living room, and I've already ditched the swapping of hardware idea, it's just the software/file type/codec support I'm looking at now ;O

Now that I have a PSP, I stoked about remote turn on. I'll be able to start PSN downloads from work, on Thursdays. No more waiting for downloads for this cowboy.

~S

Following is the official press release from Sony on Firmware Update 2.00 (available for download 8 November). On top of the ability to turn the PlayStation 3 on remotely via the PSP, Version 2.00 also allows the creation of playlists in both the music and photo sections, giving users an opportunity to create unlimited music playlists, as well as sharing favourite photos in high definition.

Version 2.00 also allows for customisation of the XMB menu screen, with the ability to change the colour and brightness or to set a completely different custom theme. Moreover, there’s the addition of an Information Board on XMB to keep users up to date on the latest PlayStation news, the inclusion of a new PlayStation Network category and logo for easier navigation and Trend Micro Web Security, a free2, state of the art internet security system.

Official press release follows.

Latest PLAYSTATION®3 System Software Update Allows PSPTM to Turn PS3TM On and Off from Internet Connection for Enhanced Remote Play

Ability to customise XMB™ and add personalised playlists for both music and photos also enabled

London, 8 November 2007 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) announced today the availability of the latest version of the PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) system software. Version 2.00 features the ability to turn a PS3 system on and off remotely, using a PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) system via the Remote Play1 function, allowing for a truly mobile partnership between the two systems.

Building on the success and potential of the Remote Play functionality, Version 2.00 will cement the partnership between PS3 and PSP and create a truly global experience. With the ability to turn your PS3 on and off from Wi-fi connection, there is now the opportunity to listen to the music, look at the photos and watch the videos saved on the PS3 Hard Disk Drive, anywhere in the world.

To further enhance the PS3 offering, Version 2.00 allows for the creation of personalised playlists in both the music and photo sections. This simple to use function gives users an opportunity to create unlimited music playlists for all occasions, as well as sharing favourite photos in glorious high definition.

Continuing with the idea of a personalised PS3, Version 2.00 allows for customisation of the XMB™ (XrossMediaBar) menu screen. Change the colour and brightness with the greatest of ease or have something completely different by setting a custom theme. With the potential for new backgrounds to become available on PLAYSTATION®Network in the future, Version 2.00 truly opens up a whole raft of options.

A host of other enhancements includes the addition of an Information Board on XMB to keep people up to date on the latest PlayStation® news, the inclusion of a new PLAYSTATION Network category and logo for easier navigation and Trend Micro Web Security, a free2, state of the art internet security system, designed to give parents peace of mind.
http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=699

And please don't bitch about no in-game XMB, because SCE themselves said it was coming, but not the next firmware upgrade (over and over again). And that rumor of 2.0 having access to XMB features in game over the summer was just a complete rumor afterall (despite how many news sites trying to make it a confirmation). There's a G.A.P. poll right now asking people if they want in-game messaging, select music from playlist in game, or increased friends size most (just went up recently).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']And please don't bitch about no in-game XMB[/quote]It's perfectly valid to bitch about no in-game XMB access, considering this fucking machine has been out for a year.

What exactly do you want from in game XMB? All I want is cross game invites, and ubiquitous chatting. So I can turn on ps3, from xmb chat with buddy playing Warhawk, ask if there is room on the server is on, say 'he send me an invite'. That level of polish would be nice. But I really don't see the need to check out my photos why playing R:FoM, or surf the net while playing skate, etc.

~S

theme_en.jpg

I personally LIKE the details up the update. :) I like customizing my PS3/PSP so this is all good.

Sony has always put up the updates worldwide via internet update for the PSP/PS3, so I expect it to hit all regions at once that way.

[quote name='lanzarlaluna']It's perfectly valid to bitch about no in-game XMB access, considering this fucking machine has been out for a year.[/QUOTE]And there's a pretty good reason why PS3 can't currently do it:
http://www.innerbits.com/blog/2007/09/13/how-to-address-the-memory-issues-on-the-ps3/

It all has to do with RAM issues. The XMB eats up too much RAM currently to efficiently do it. Right now, it's up to the developers to implement it. It's like trying to fit a large elephant into a tiny box. If there's not enough RAM currently to access the XMB to do stuff, then it can't be done. It has nothing to do with PS3 being out a year. That's all there is to it and that's why I want everyone to shut up about it (it's been mentioned over and over again, which is why Eric Lempel once said he understands people want this and it's being worked on "please understand that we hear this request and are working toward a solution. When I have some more info to share on this, know that I will do so here on this blog.", which means they are still trying to reduce the RAM the XMB uses up to hopefully implement it one day). The 360 doesn't have this problem because it has 512MB main memory, MS is a software company afterall, and their design is far from eating much memory up. Unfortunately, Sony can't just kill off PS3 and start all over again, with a console containing more RAM in order to do this stuff.

Cross game invite will never directly happen, since PS3 was never designed to do that in the first place (many games use a different invite system and that would conflict). If certain games now don't have invites (like Warhawk, Full Auto 2, etc.), then there's no way they can have invites in the future regardless (Future games might be able to). Accessing messages is a different story because they can be done (but not until there's sufficient memory).

By the way things seem, in-game messaging won't be a top priority, after looking at the recent G.A.P. poll:
-In-game access to PSN messaging
45% (620 votes)

-Ability to play my own music from the XMB while in-game
51% (710 votes)

-Larger buddy list and buddy-list features such as categorizing
4% (58 votes)

If games could just use the XMB assets, that'd be nice too.
Like Everybody's Golf 5 does.
It has it's own messaging and friend menu, but it uses the info from your XMB.

I know more games are doing this for friends. (CoD4 for example)

Yeah I want my own music in-game before the in-game messaging.

I don't think they will do much for communication and will wait to see how Home does first.

[quote name='dallow']If games could just use the XMB assets, that'd be nice too.

I know more games are doing this for friends. (CoD4 for example)[/QUOTE]Personally, I think we'll just get access to friends list, music option, etc. under the current PS button menu if anything, for a 2. something update one day.

The good news is that every firmware decreases the RAM needed, so hopefully they're getting closer to allowing one big feature everyone wants soon (like music or messages). Personally, I rather have messages.

I think no one needs over 50 friends (although I've maxed out my buddy list many times, I don't need more than 30 of my friends (the 30 I keep are either really good friends or people I play a lot).

[quote name='dallow']There's more features in this update.

They haven't revealed all yet.

Here's a video of 2.0 in action:

http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?releaseId=20060314115917309058&articleId=20071107152123607099&sectionId=1006

Check out these pics:

http://xs221.xs.to/xs221/07453/002-004.jpg
http://xs221.xs.to/xs221/07453/002-002.jpg
http://xs221.xs.to/xs221/07453/002-003.jpg
http://xs221.xs.to/xs221/07453/002-005.jpg[/quote]

New firmware tomorrow, and isn't the demo for uncharted suppost to be up? If so that alone will be a really good update :D

I heard on another site that 1.94 FW shipped on the R&CF: ToD disc, though has it ever been made available for DL?

Supposedly, the only thing it adds is Dual Shock 3 support.

Darn you shrike.

Yes except for 1.94 which was only on R&C discs.
It adds a rumble on/off option in the PS Home menu.

[quote name='shrike4242']I heard on another site that 1.94 FW shipped on the R&CF: ToD disc, though has it ever been made available for DL?

Supposedly, the only thing it adds is Dual Shock 3 support.[/quote]

Nope, as far as I know R&C:ToD is the only way to get it.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Nope, as far as I know R&C:ToD is the only way to get it.[/QUOTE]Firmware updates compile one another. I almost guarantee the update 2.0 contains the features of 1.94.

[quote name='dallow']If games could just use the XMB assets, that'd be nice too.

I know more games are doing this for friends. (CoD4 for example)[/QUOTE]
Yep, COD4 and Vegas use it. If all games did PSN would be that much closer to being as good as live, all it would be missing is in game XMB/messaging.

[quote name='dallow']Yeah, I saw you playing CoD4 last night.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it's pretty awesome. The online system has a party system like Halo 3's (not sure if you've played that online), but it lets you see all your friends that are playing COD4 and then invite them to your party and from there you join games. Very well done.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Firmware updates compile one another. I almost guarantee the update 2.0 contains the features of 1.94.[/quote]

I was answering his question if 1.94, by itself, was offered any other way then via that game.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']FW 2.0 + Uncharted Demo tomorrow = A pretty good update

You know what would make it awesome? Another PSX Game release :hot:[/QUOTE]
Not going to happen. Another PSX game would be the end of the world.

Yep, very slow.

I was about to play COD4 online and then it told me I have to update. I'm at 22%...hopefully it won't take more than 20mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back