The Official PS3 System Update Thread - 3.10 Available Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what happened to me, just to be clear:
PSX/PS2 upscaling, smoother on. 1080p through HDMI

Final Fantasy 12 - No more bars. Has vertical lines across everything. AKA, it looks like it did at PS3's launch

Just tried MGS3 and I know that had problems at PS3 launch but it looks fine. Trying FFXII now.

EDIT: FFXII does look bad, but doesn't seem to be the same problem that it had at launch. Wonder what the deal is.

Also, I'm on a 40' LCD screen here.

put in God of War 2, and it has the lines of ugliness.
put in Final Fantasy 7, and it looks good...as it can.
put in Okami, and it has the horrible lines of demonry.

Also, as a bonus, when going to play a PSX game, my controller doesn't de-sync

EDIT: de-synching still happens with PS2 games, and Okami doesn't look as bad as GOW2 or FF12

Is anyone else having a problem with your PS3 randomly turning on when you have the option enabled to turn on the PS3 via the PSP? I just finished playing through the Uncharted demo, powered down the PS3, and like 10 minutes later the shit turns on by itself. So I turned on the TV to see what the deal was, and the PS3 is in remote connection mode. WTF? Turned it back off and am waiting to see if it does it again.

That's pretty damn weird, I have mine setup the same way but it stays off. I do notice that the wireless indicator light is always on now, but that's it.

On another note, I'm trying out the p3tcompiler but when I go into the 01 folder, it enters but then I keep getting a windows explorer error, the folder freezes, and it closes...

[quote name='Inf^Shini']That's pretty damn weird, I have mine setup the same way but it stays off. I do notice that the wireless indicator light is always on now, but that's it.[/quote]The fan also stays on now at a really low speed. I read that in the manual and checked myself.

[quote name='lanzarlaluna']The fan also stays on now at a really low speed. I read that in the manual and checked myself.[/quote] :eek:

I didn't know that, just checked it out and I can hear it spinning if I put my ear near the console, interesting.

Edit: I guess I figured out how to avoid the error, I just extracted it at the root of the drive and it didn't give me any attitude.

Time to get crackin' on some Custom Themes!

Anyone else try the play video while downloading feature yet? Seems hampered by your connection speed. :(

Also here is a user created theme P from the Sony boards:
previewwz4.png

DOWNLOAD HERE

And this one is from same place:

preview.png

http://www.filefactory.com/file/fb6528/

Hmm... maybe we need a new theme thread? or perhasps convert an old one...

[quote name='lanzarlaluna']Is anyone else having a problem with your PS3 randomly turning on when you have the option enabled to turn on the PS3 via the PSP? I just finished playing through the Uncharted demo, powered down the PS3, and like 10 minutes later the shit turns on by itself. So I turned on the TV to see what the deal was, and the PS3 is in remote connection mode. WTF? Turned it back off and am waiting to see if it does it again.[/quote]

Same thing happened to me. I setup remote play, used the PSP to turn off my system, and it powered itself back on almost immediately. I used the PS3 controller to shut it down and it powered itself back on again. I finally let it sit and I guess it shut itself down because I didn't do anything for 10 minutes via remote play.

Downloaded yesterday and I am loving the customizable themes. I changed my theme to Air Brush (the one that comes with the update) and it is pretty awesome

[quote name='doubledown']YES, someone please create a THEME thread. I think that would be helpful.[/quote]

I think there are some playstation 3 fansites that are adding theme sections to their websites, I'll link some later. Might be easier then having a theme thread.

[quote name='NamPaehc']I think there are some playstation 3 fansites that are adding theme sections to their websites, I'll link some later. Might be easier then having a theme thread.[/QUOTE]

I think a theme thread would be easier....instead of hunting through this as they get added...but that is just me.

I guess there are THEME MAKERS out there already...not sure if it is via Sony or 3rd party.

My 2.00 observations on a fullscreen/widescreen selectable 480i TV.

-There is no new Flash player, or at least not a new version. Youtube videos seem to have slightly better synced audio and video, but that's about it. I still can't use Flash content on a number of other sites.

-Themes act funny when you switch between fullscreen and widescreen. I had the new classy pink theme set up in fullscreen, but when I changed to widescreen, the background image was pillarboxed on the left and right. (Letterboxed, but vertical.) After I changed my theme to the original one and then back to classy pink, I got a 16:9 background image.

-The news ticker thing at first said something like "Welcome to the PSN news 2.00" or something, over and over. After I selected US under the new ticker thing, it started saying ticker stuff. I don't like the ticker, so I turned it off. Thank goodness you can.

-The format utility now gives you options on formatting devices other than the hard disk. It lets you format memory stick type stuff and USB memory devices. I don't remember this being in previous firmwares.

-Listening to streaming music over Windows Media Connect while trying to go to a webpage with an unsupported Flash thingy will CRASH YOUR PS3. The system just froze, and the only thing I could do with it was eject the game that was in the drive. The power button on the front of the system did nothing. I had to reach around to the back and flip the switch to turn it off and back on again. It doesn't seem like the crash had any lasting effects, though. I don't know if listening to streaming music while trying to open a webpage with a supported Flash thingy will crash the system, but I'm not gonna go ahead and find out.

So, just noticed something else.

The little icons under Video are now just pictures. AKA no moving video. This is only if you group them into folders. I don't know why this is. (This is not a problem when grouping content under games)

The stretching for widescreen PS2 games actually seems to be a problem since you miss some things (like in FF12, the map indicator?). Other people are reporting it, but not the graphical stuff. Weird.

[quote name='kleptoix']what firmware do you need on the PSP to do the remote play thing?[/quote]

I think it's the latest update 3.72, I think that's the version number...?:/

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']someone make a theme thread. I would but I hate managing something like that.[/quote]

I was thinking about it, but figured NamPaehc aka CheapMan (You know, I just figured it out >.>), would be better suited for it since he introduced and seems to be more familiar with the theme's so far.

Is there a way to turn off the Information Bar?
If you have a Japanese PS3, and your system language set to English, you just keep getting an error message telling you that only Japanese is supported.

[quote name='CheapyD']Is there a way to turn off the Information Bar?
If you have a Japanese PS3, and your system language set to English, you just keep getting an error message telling you that only Japanese is supported.[/quote]
You should be able to turn it off by pressing triangle on the IB's icon on the Network part of the XMB.

[quote name='dallow']Could you always put the web browser in the background while you scroll the XMB over it?[/quote]
Yeah. I sometimes put some music on while surfing and downloading videos.

sorry if this has been addressed earlier and I didn't see it.

I was completely surprised that I wasn't able to watch a DVD movie with remote play on my PSP.

on the PSP, the xbar didn't show the DVD in the movie column. then i disconnected remote play and on the PS3 xbar, is see the DVD.

I can't imagine that sony would leave this obvious functionality of watching dvds or blueray on the PSP using remote play.

Please tell me I'm wrong and I'm not doing something properly.

anyone have a weird friend list error (unless all my friends are playing a cruel joke)? The comment I have for myself in the word bubble friend list thing ("Mink bazooka") is repeated on all my friends who don't have a comment.........????? It's weird scrolling through the list and seeing everyone has my comment.

2.0 f up my PS3. I got the 60G version.
It was in the process of updating the firmware, then it error out.
So when i boot up now, it just go straight to the error message asking me to contact technical support. I don't like to update newly released firmware but damn Sony wants me to update it before i could play new games!

Called customer service and they said i needed the receipt for them to do the service repair, i then told them, even if i did bought it on the day of release, i am still under warranty. So with that said, they are sending me a pre-paid package for me to send the console back to them for repair. Would take about 10-15 days.

I am not pissed at Sony or anything, just annoyed that i can't play Assasin's Creed and Drake now. Oh well, at least i have Crysis and Mario to get me over this phase.

Anybody else have this issue?

I like the fact that now it shows the title of Blu-Rays.....I watched Hostel II last night and it popped up wi the title and a thumbnail. Not sure if this is for ALL movies/bd, but I found it cool.

[quote name='doubledown']I like the fact that now it shows the title of Blu-Rays.....I watched Hostel II last night and it popped up wi the title and a thumbnail. Not sure if this is for ALL movies/bd, but I found it cool.[/quote]

It's only with certain BR titles. The Spiderman Trilogy shows the title, but new releases like Ratatouille and Cars don't.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']It's only with certain BR titles. The Spiderman Trilogy shows the title, but new releases like Ratatouille and Cars don't.[/QUOTE]

Ok, must be SONY titles only currently.

Already?

I do notice some freeze-up/lag when I switched to the custom themes, it'll probably just remedy those little bugs they had >.>

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Already?

I do notice some freeze-up/lag when I switched to the custom themes, it'll probably just remedy those little bugs they had >.>[/QUOTE]There are some having freezing issues in games all of a sudden, so that's why I'm thinking there's a fix. And with the 80GB PS3 consoles, GT4 stopped working.

I wonder if it fixes the issues with smackdown vs raw 2008. I doubt it does I read somewhere on the net about the final build not running as smooth as it should.

AC freezes occasionally. For some people this means they'd have to turn off the power switch on the back of the ps3 to do anything. For others (like me) it seems to only freeze the characters, but the camera and effects are still working, so it's like those press demos where they pause the camera in mid action and you can move around the scene to check out the characters and particles and stuff. Oh for the latter you can press Home to exit, but it will cause the ps3 to reset by itself.

I doubt it matters to too many people here, but 2.01 removes the ability to play back multichannel SACDs converted to DTS over optical. (originally the PS3 couldn't play SACDs over optical at all, then 2.0 added the ability and converted the sound to DTS so you could get the 5.1 sound via optical, but now that's gone-- it only plays back 2.0 PCM over optical)

This kinda sucks. :(

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']That sucks. Glad I got the 360 version then...[/QUOTE]You always buy the 360 version. ;)
[quote name='asianxcore']The 2.01 update is taking longer than usual to download.

Anyone else having this problem?[/QUOTE]I downloaded it on Monday and it took a 3 minutes. A friend of mine downloaded it today and it took a while. The server may be jammed today (possibly with the addition of the PSP store).
[quote name='Justin42']I doubt it matters to too many people here, but 2.01 removes the ability to play back multichannel SACDs converted to DTS over optical. (originally the PS3 couldn't play SACDs over optical at all, then 2.0 added the ability and converted the sound to DTS so you could get the 5.1 sound via optical, but now that's gone-- it only plays back 2.0 PCM over optical)

This kinda sucks. :([/QUOTE]I'm not sure whether Sony meant that or not. I've worked in software/hardware before, and I can say it's very easy for that to happen (fix one thing and break another).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
I'm not sure whether Sony meant that or not. I've worked in software/hardware before, and I can say it's very easy for that to happen (fix one thing and break another).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, being as Sony never really announced the addition of DTS decoding, nor the removal of it, it's hard to tell what they're up to. Maybe they're adding some SACD-related stuff and accidentally enabled DTS too early. It seems hard to believe they did the coding to enable the downsampling to DTS only to remove it a week later. (it doesn't seem like something they could accidentally enable, but obviously a bug could cause it to accidentally disable)

[quote name='Justin42']Yeah, being as Sony never really announced the addition of DTS decoding, nor the removal of it, it's hard to tell what they're up to. Maybe they're adding some SACD-related stuff and accidentally enabled DTS too early. It seems hard to believe they did the coding to enable the downsampling to DTS only to remove it a week later. (it doesn't seem like something they could accidentally enable, but obviously a bug could cause it to accidentally disable)[/quote]

It didn't affect any of the audio decoding for Blu Rays did it? I just updated today. I know it was only able to do 2.0 PCM over optical before, but was that changed with Blu Ray movies? I haven't toyed with the audio options since I recently moved my PS3 to another room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back