The Official PS3 System Update Thread - 3.10 Available Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if I have a PSX game in my PS3, I can play it on my PSP through remote play? That's really cool.

And I'm a video n00b, so I have no idea what this divx stuff means.

What are you guys using to transfer movies to your PS3? I have a flash drive but would have to do it one by one since it doesn't have much space left on it and I'm burning a data dvd right now, but I don't want to just keep wasting DVDs. Is there an easier method, or do I just have to get higher capacity portable memory?

[quote name='PapiChullo']What are you guys using to transfer movies to your PS3? I have a flash drive but would have to do it one by one since it doesn't have much space left on it and I'm burning a data dvd right now, but I don't want to just keep wasting DVDs. Is there an easier method, or do I just have to get higher capacity portable memory?[/quote]
I'm using my PSP and its 2GB memory stick to transfer stuff.

[quote name='PapiChullo']What are you guys using to transfer movies to your PS3? I have a flash drive but would have to do it one by one since it doesn't have much space left on it and I'm burning a data dvd right now, but I don't want to just keep wasting DVDs. Is there an easier method, or do I just have to get higher capacity portable memory?[/quote]

Getting a bigger flash card is one option.

Opening your computer to the network so the PS3 can access its HD is another.

Getting some kind of USB external HD is one too.

[quote name='NamPaehc']
Opening your computer to the network so the PS3 can access its HD is another.
[/QUOTE]
How would I go about doing that?

[quote name='PapiChullo']How would I go about doing that?[/quote]

I did it once with a program called Orb, though I think a lot of others use another one? Someone'll have to hook you up with links with info on the subject because I barely looked into it myself, sorry.

[quote name='NamPaehc']I did it once with a program called Orb, though I think a lot of others use another one? Someone'll have to hook you up with links with info on the subject because I barely looked into it myself, sorry.[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I think I may be able to download it from TVersity. I'll give it a whirl.

When I get a new PC, or build it, it's going to have to be DLNA complient, or whatever it's called. It should save me some space on my hard drive. Right now, my computer's a bit outdated to do media sharing. Vista should make it easier to do.

I'm still wondering if any big stealth updates have come out besides PS1 disc play on PSP's. I'm hoping for something where you can find out what games people on your friends list have played. And I don't mean through Home either.

[quote name='CAG 79']For those of you having trouble streaming/playing your Xvid files, try using Windows Media Connect instead of using WMP 11. All of my Xvid files have worked without a hitch.[/QUOTE]

lol I wish I could. I loved Windows Media Connect. WMP11 is a piece of crap.
but the only alternative when you goto vista

[quote name='CheapyD']Anyone able to get their ps3 to output divx audio in dolby pro logic or anything but 2 channel stereo?[/quote]You'd have to manually set your receiver to Dolby Pro-Logic II. That's true of all Pro-Logic sources since it's not a digital signal, just surround details inside an analog signal.

I really wish Sony would allow for true DD5.1 playback from the XMB ala the 360.

EDIT: My mistake, apparently you can.
http://www.redkawa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3471

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3media&thread.id=79654

I need to test this out.

my receiver shows pro-logic, but its only outputting sound to the front speakers.
i believe i dont have ths problem on the 360.

Strange.
Maybe the material you're watching?

Most of my videos don't have that much in the way of dynamic stereo effects. So not much comes out of the rears under Pro-Logic II.

My music programs and most new movie trailers with Pro-Logic II have lots of sound out of the rears however.

Man, my .avi files are playing beautifully. I love it. Especially after the dissapointment of my Xbox 360 horribly failing to play the exact same files.

I had a question. I am playing Chrono Cross right now on my PS3, and I want to use the analog sticks. I have to change the setting from digital to analog every single time I turn on the game. Is there a way to keep this change permanently?

My .avi files only play 6-8 seconds of the video before stopping :whistle2:k
They're about 24 minutes in length and play fully in my comuter.

Perhaps I have to re-encode them myself?

hmm...anybody know any possible reason why the Dark Knight 1080p WMV trailer I downloaded from thedarkknight.com doesn't play audio on the PS3? Video works fine, but there is no audio. Even when I press Triangle and go to information, video codec shows as VC-1, but audio shows as nothing.

Video + audio works on my PC, but uses up my CPU 100%

[quote name='Inf^Shini']My .avi files only play 6-8 seconds of the video before stopping :whistle2:k
They're about 24 minutes in length and play fully in my comuter.

Perhaps I have to re-encode them myself?[/QUOTE]Did you try fast-forwarding past that part? I keep getting an error, so I just restart it and skip past that part and it works fine the rest of the way.

I'm having the 6-8 second problem as well. I'll try skipping that section when I get home from work. When are they going to add that scene select funtion that the PSP has (Where you press Square)?

At least other format support is a step in the right direction. Give the PS3 the ability to read SMB/Samba shares and I might just start think about disconnecting my modded Xbox.

[quote name='Thomas96']did you guys try out the new visual player - use the new visual trailer and play the lair soundtrack! Very nice![/QUOTE]

this ones' a no brainer: works superb with the Mass Effect OST.

[quote name='TimPV3']Did you try fast-forwarding past that part? I keep getting an error, so I just restart it and skip past that part and it works fine the rest of the way.[/quote]

Well in the file description it says the file is only 6 or 8 seconds long. It automatically stops, and I've tried fast-forwarding just to see but no dice.

[quote name='whoknows']2GB limit is kinda lame, but I guess I can always use my 360 if I have something over 2GB, it doesn't have a limit, right?[/quote]

Actually, the 360 has a 4GB limite on DiVX files, WMV is unlimited.

Part of the reason of the 4GB limit is that the 360 can only read FAT32 and the maximum file size on a fat32 drive is 4GB.

Lame.

Woohoo, In-game XMB feature confirmed "for 2008". Devs won't do it, so Sony to save the day.

Not much I know...

Sony’s gaming division might have a small showing at this year’s CES, but that isn’t keep Paul Purdy from dropping some big PS3 news: in-game Xross Media Bar (XMB) access is confirmed for 2008. When pressed for a specific timeframe, the Sony rep simply relayed that Sony’s focus at CES is on hardware.

For those not aware, the PS3’s operating system is unavailable while in games. This prevents the use of custom soundtracks or messenging while a game is active, and since the Xbox 360 offers its users both while in-game, PS3 owners have been justifiably frustrated.

More information to come as it is released.

[quote name='NamPaehc'] Devs won't do it, so Sony to save the day.[/QUOTE]
Well, most devs. RB has in-game XMB. A little bit.

There's an article about the in game xmb, and it was said that SuperStar HD had in game xmb support. is this true?

[quote name='Thomas96']There's an article about the in game xmb, and it was said that SuperStar HD had in game xmb support. is this true?[/quote]

I don't know if it is out in the US yet, but there is an update that does make custom soundtracks happen. I downloaded the updated demo from the Europe store and it too has the custom soundtrack. Worked pretty easily too.

I really love these PS3 updates. Always something new added that amazes me. I've been playing Divx Avi's directly off my usb thumb drive on my PS3. Now I can watch UK shows I download on my 46 inch tv instead of on my laptop. Quickly the PS3 is becoming my media playing device.

Any idea when the in-game XMB is coming out. I'm so sick of EA Trax in NHL08... god those songs suck.

2.4 is coming in the summer, according the leaktastic SCE UK.

SCE UK confirms extra in-game XMB functionality will arrive in a matter of months

SCE UK boss Ray Maguire has revealed that PS3’s forthcoming firmware update will introduce new features to the cross media bar.

As he thanked SCE UK’s trade partners for reaching one million UK PS3 sales, he added: “Our momentum will continue with the introduction of in-game communication in the summer, firmware update 2.4 and the strongest line-up of games through our third party partners and our own studios.”

Hahaha..lol.. Cant keep Sony fans down..

Cant find anything new so far...Store is the same :(
No Warhawk patch...
No COD patch..
No New Visualizations..

Maybe more options for categorizing music? Don't remember how it was before.

I bet its more useless bullshit, like added vocabulary or more music for Folding at Home. :roll:

What? That's out of nowhere, but I've been wondering when the next one would hit. I left my PS3 at school though so it'll have to wait until Sunday night.

I think it's just one of those firmware updates for additional stability on the PS3. I've had my internet browser close to many times watching Janet Jackson videos on YouTube. :whistle2:#

This is definitely for the 101 thread, but since you are already speaking of videos, are there certain video players that will not work through the ps3 browser?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back