The Official PS3 System Update Thread - 3.10 Available Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Solid-Snake-08']ok um heads up guys theres an UPDATE its 2.17 though. Im currently downloading it.[/quote]

Yeah it is taking FOREVER to download for me.

[quote name='MarkMan']It's a required update for Gran Turismo 5 Prologue US version.[/quote]

That seems a little odd as the updates are usually global.

>>>WOW‚ the internet brower is a lot faster.

PSBlog says:

If you’ve signed in to the PLAYSTATION Network tonight on your PS3, you probably noticed that you were prompted to upgrade the system’s firmware to v2.17. In case you were wondering what it’s all about (and a quick Google search indicates that yes, you are) the operating stability of some online PS3 titles has been improved.
Hope that clears things up!

Also some translations from Japan floating around.

[quote name='richierich']I don't see any improvement with browser speed after the update.[/quote]

I could have been an update or two behind, but CAG used to take forever to load with everyone's sigs and the images. Now it is really quick.

It also stopped a loophole in the older FW that allowed ISO loading of PS1/2, and PS3 software.

I won't link to their site, but I'm glad it's done with for now.

I read that as "PS2 games capable of installing part of themselves on the PS2 hard drive, or games requiring the PS2 hard drive, are now supported." rather than "you can now copy all your PS2 games and play them from your hard drive."

My guess is it affects less than a dozen games.

Agreed. I tried to install a PS2 game, wouldn't give me any option to install to the HD. Re-reading it, you translation makes more sense.

I suppose that means FFXI(?) could be installed, along with SOCOM 2 maps. Those are the only HDD compatible things I can remember.

.17, not a major update so we should know it's more of a functionality update. Watch for the 2.5 or 3.0s, those will be something major.

I wish they could fix games like orange box or smackdown vs raw 2008 where it doesn't play as well as it should,but I doubt they could fix it that way. Just a wish I suppose :)

Yeah, I don't get this. There was already a manual 6MB file to download off the PlayStation Store well over a year ago that enabled play of FFXI on the PS3's HDD. Maybe this functionality is built into this new firmware. As far as the "new" functionality listed on the JP site, it's adding support for the game Nobunaga's Ambition Online and that's it. No SOCOM, Street Fighter Anthology, Metal Saga, RE Outbreak, support for HDD still.

Hi again everyone. Here’s a quick preview of the next PLAYSTATION 3 system software update coming up in the next few days. Firmware v2.20, introduces a number of features to further enhance your PLAYSTATION 3 as the hub of your entertainment center.

Most notably, the update enables the PS3 to support Blu-ray Disc Profile 2.0, also known as BD-Live. You can connect now to the Internet while playing discs that support BD-Live to obtain additional content and special features. These features vary from disc to disc, and will keep your BD discs fresh with new content and in some cases exclusive content only accessible to owners of BD-Live enabled discs. On April 8th Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will release The 6th Day and Walk Hard on Blu-ray; these titles will be among the first to take advantage of BD-Live. With this update, the PLAYSTATION 3 becomes the first Blu-ray player on the market with BD-Live functionality.

Here are some of the other new features/enhancements that will be included in Firmware v2.20:

* The ability to copy PS3 Music and Photo playlists to a PSP system. We introduced the ability to create Music and Photo playlists on the PS3 in firmware update v2.0. Now you can easily export your playlists to your PSP.
* You can now play DivX and WMV format files that are over 2 GB.
* Resume Play - begin playing a DVD or BD disc from the point where you previously stopped it, even if you eject the disc and insert a different movie or game.
* Use your PSP as a remote control to play back your music files on your PS3 without turning on your TV.
* The Internet browser now displays some web pages faster. In addition [Save Target] has been added as an option under file. This option lets you save a file that is linked to a web page to your PS3 hard drive or storage media.

There are a few other tweaks and upgrades included in v2.20 - we’ll provide more specifics as the update is about to go live.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/03/20/firmware-v220-bringing-bd-live-to-ps3/

Sweet can't wait for the new update, especially the movie auto-resume and faster web page loading (even tho I don't use the PS3 to browse that much, it's still ridiculously slow)

The new "portable copy" feature on Blu-ray discs is pretty worthless considering that it's an optional feature for disc publishers and it's likely that only Sony Blu-ray discs will have the PSP version on the disc.

[quote name='NTolerance']The new "portable copy" feature on Blu-ray discs is pretty worthless considering that it's an optional feature for disc publishers and it's likely that only Sony Blu-ray discs will have the PSP version on the disc.[/quote]

Debunked!!

-Turns out it's a good thing I was so dubious.
SCEA contacted us today to let us know we were right to doubt, the Playstation 3's firmware 2.20 update will not include Portable Copy support, despite reports to the contrary.
Too bad, I'm about to go away on a trip for a few days and was thinking I might be able to bring some movies with me. Of course, I'm also still confused about whether all Blu-ray movies will be copyable or if it will be only for movies that have an extra PSP file included on the disc.- Kotaku

http://kotaku.com/371533/sony-psp-portable-copy-not-coming-with-22

[quote name='doubledown']I thought Hitman was supposed to offer this first....I'm assuming they missed the deadline on that.[/quote]

AFAIK the 2-disc version has the second disc with a portable copy. Thing is, I think it's some Windows-media or iPod-media file, not a PSP specific file. I read over the box at Blockbuster Video. Didn`t want to rent the movie though :)

[quote name='KingBroly']I am downloading 2.20 as we speak, ladies and gentlemen.[/QUOTE]

Sweet, getting it now!

I think I'm gonna have to do some port forwarding with his new router I got. I'm still at NAT 2, but it's downloading SLOW.

[quote name='KingBroly']I think I'm gonna have to do some port forwarding with his new router I got. I'm still at NAT 2, but it's downloading SLOW.[/quote]

What kind of router is it? I've got a Linksys WRTP54G and PSN downloads have always been ridiculously slow. Like five-years-ago slow. I forwarded the recommended ports, but no luck.

Meanwhile my 360 has always been speedy, even before I set up the ports for it. I wonder if it's just a PSN thing.

[quote name='metaly']What kind of router is it? I've got a Linksys WRTP54G and PSN downloads have always been ridiculously slow. Like five-years-ago slow. I forwarded the recommended ports, but no luck.

Meanwhile my 360 has always been speedy, even before I set up the ports for it. I wonder if it's just a PSN thing.[/quote]

Yeah, it's a Linksys WRT54G. My 360's on a wired connection (I ain't paying $100 for a damn adapter).

Like the title says ....

Go download it. Features are :whistle2:

Playlists that were created in [music] and [photo] can now be copied along with the content they contain to a PSP system. You can play the content on the PSP system in the order that was set on the PS3 system.

BD Profile 2.0 is now supported. With BDs that support BD-LIVE, you can access internet content for the BD.

Resume play can now be used on a BD or DVD even if the PS3 system has been turned off or the disc has been ejected. However, there are some discs on which resume play cannot be used.

Div content that exceeds 2GB can now be played. Also, subtitles can now be displayed for DivX content.

EDIT: Thanks for spotting that.

[quote name='KingBroly']Yeah, it's a Linksys WRT54G. My 360's on a wired connection (I ain't paying $100 for a damn adapter).[/quote]

No kidding about the 360 adapter. I feel like I could cobble something together out of parts for less than what they're asking. (Whether it would work, on the other hand...)

My PS3 is back on wired after having some wireless channel issues last week and it's still slow, so the speed wasn't my wireless. If you don't mind, send me a PM if you're able to fix the problem using port forwarding.

I didn't find anything visually speaking, but it did say that it can resume a DVD or BD movie from where you stop it when you play it again, that's pretty awesome. ;)

Onix at GAF:
Awesome. I put in a BD (A Scanner Darkly), and randomly FWD to a spot in the middle of the movie.

Took it out, and did the same for the BD of Layer Cake.

Went back to A Scanner Darkly, and it picked up right where I had stopped it.
That's a real neat feature.

Scouting for stealth updates.....
Others say the browser is much faster now, and more movies can play that were problamatic before. (like Frisky above)

Does that work for digital files as well? Sometimes when I am streaming video to my ps3 It drops out and I have to search for where I was in the video.

Really don't think it works for streamed videos.
I know with stuff on the HDD you can stop it and resume at that spot later.

Wow, A bunch of my tv shows/movies that were previously not supported, play perfectly fine now! This is great as I was tired of watching season 2 of The Wire on my laptop!!

Streamed videos will resume where left off if the video is stopped (they did before fw 2.2 also), but not if the connection drops.

[quote name='smiggity']That may have been 2.17 b/c I had a noticeable improvement after that update..[/quote]
I don't know. I check the stuff I've got set-up for streaming somewhat regularly and maybe 90+% of it didn't work at all, but more of it seems to be working now. I'd guess that it's about 60-70% unplayable now.

If this is part of the update or not, I'm pleased either way. :) Since I can download these to the PS3, it's more reason to not use the 360's streaming for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back