The Official PS3 System Update Thread - 3.10 Available Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='sullyj']- You can now download PlayStation format software from the PS Store and play it on your PS3[/quote]

oooh nice...thanks for the update

[quote name='imascrub']oooh nice...thanks for the update[/quote]

Wait!!! The word is that the UPCOMING games will work on the PS3 (guessing they will be up tomorrow) and the previous titles might not work yet so don't burn your cash until we can confirm (nothing on any offical sites yet).

[quote name='NamPaehc']Wait!!! The word is that the UPCOMING games will work on the PS3 (guessing they will be up tomorrow) and the previous titles might not work yet so don't burn your cash until we can confirm (nothing on any offical sites yet).[/QUOTE]
How would we go about testing if older ones work? I have Syphon Filter on my download list so I would like to try....

The PSX games on there now DON"T currently work on the PS3.
They better just update the software so you can just re-download it and use it on both systems.

Man, this sounds great.

You can download the PSX game and play it on the train.
Come home, transfer your save, and finish where you left off on your TV, then back again..

Bliss.

Oh, and here's another new feature someone found:

Another feature: You can now press triangle on your username (if you have more than one account) and set the PS3 to auto-login to that account everytime.

Plus, if you have any slow movie thumbnails, try remaking them now. They should be go full speed this time.

[quote name='zewone']I did that on 1.60..[/quote]
Really? Well crap, I need to turn that on.

Also, some BC has been fixed (mainly for the Euro guys)

GT4
MGS: Substance
Gradius V
DMC 3: SE
Jak & Daxter

Here's a Playstation 1/2 to USB converter if people need one.
Don't know where there's cheaper available, though I'm sure there are.

Rumble is confirmed to work via USB.

Cool update. I like how PS3 and PSP are like buddies...

Im definetally most curious about the PS3 2-3+ years from now. Its going to be so sweet, its getting so much content. Cant wait to see it at its full glory. With Home and all the new XMB things.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Cool update. I like how PS3 and PSP are like buddies...

Im definetally most curious about the PS3 2-3+ years from now. Its going to be so sweet, its getting so much content. Cant wait to see it at its full glory. With Home and all the new XMB things.[/QUOTE]

I still think Microsoft is a little too proud of their interface. They take small leaps every quarter of the year, where I prefer sony's take on constant updates and improvements. I like what has happened with the PSP, and where it is now is nice. I still say people are going to eat their words once PS3 has had at least a year or so on the market.

[quote name='dallow']The PSX games on there now DON"T currently work on the PS3.
They better just update the software so you can just re-download it and use it on both systems.[/QUOTE]

Well crap. That kinda sucks. Overall, good news. Been waiting for this to happen for a while.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Anyone have the adaptor and Guitar Hero 1? Rumor is that it works now... Not sure how well though.[/quote]
That'd be a pleasent surprise.

What about GH2?

And about the PS3 interface...

I cant believe people are so hard on the PS3. Its a pretty friggen amazing console. I was checking it out, and it has alot of cool features. And the XMB is so fast and fluid... I didnt know this, but in any video you have, you can stop it at any point and create a thumbnail from where you left off, and you can do as many as you want.

So every video thumbnail will be a 15 second clip of that video (were ever you want it to be.) Thought that was sweet. And everything is really seemless and responsive. I think its alot better than the 360 interface. Definetally.

You can quickly click on some music slide over to a video or look at your pics through a slide show, then slide to your friends see what they are doing, talk to them, all in one screen very fast.

Pause very fast and clean in a video then quickly go check something online then back to the video.

Cool stuff. Cant believe it isnt being recgonized. And it looks very easy to throw features on to it. I can see it surpassing 360 services pretty fast.

I also checked out the icons, and I couldnt believe they added like 15 more pages of free icons. Even had Uncharted icons. I was like, "Damn, if I were to get all these on 360 id have to pay 20 bucks".

Then I shared Tekken with someone and he gave me Flow(very cool ability), and I was chilling out with that while downloading all the new trailers...

Its all very seemless.

Although, once you get into a game, the 360 is just like, "ZAM BAM!" and just pwns the PS3 in all aspects. Its pretty crazy everything you can do while playing a game. Man if Micorosft and Sony got together to make a console, it'd be killer.

The 360 interface is sorta clunky to me. I like how quick the PS3 bar is.

Translated online patch notes from japan.

From 2007 April 19th,™the update which renews the substance performance of PS3 was started. With the latest update, version of system software becomes 1.70, the following function is renewed.
* Main Advanced Capability
Downloading®the PlayStation standard software, it added the performance in order to play.

©1997 Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Downloading®the PlayStation standard®software from PLAYSTATION Store, it added™the performance in order to play on PS3. Depending upon title,™PS3 and®PSP (®PlayStation Portable) being both, you can play.*

ver170_01.jpg

©1997 Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Downloading®the PlayStation standard®software from PLAYSTATION Store, it added™the performance in order to play on PS3. Depending upon title,™PS3 and®PSP (®PlayStation Portable) being both, you can play.*

* As for the download service which corresponds to the latest additional function, from April 26th it is the schedule which is started.
At this Websight and PLAYSTATIONStore®it guides details.

* The other functions which are renewed with version 1.70

Whole

* With®the peripheral device for the PlayStation 2 standard software, it reached the point where you can use vibrating function. *
* As for the peripheral device which correspondsplease view this.

icon_game.gif

Game

* It reached®the point wherePS3 and PSP being™both, you can use®the saving dataof the PlayStation standard software.

Ign report about update.

"April 18, 2007 - The PS3 firmware update we've all been waiting for has at last arrived! What's that? Upscaling for backwards compatible games? Uhh... not quite. True DVR-style recording features? Uhh... we're going to have to wait just a bit longer for that one.

Today's update, which takes the PS3 to system version 1.70, at long last makes all those Game Archives games playable on the PS3. Previously, the downloadable PlayStation titles were only playable on the PSP.

Game Watch reports that a few PlayStation titles will continue to work exclusively on the PSP for the time being. Sony has yet to specify which games will be cross compatible. PS3-ready downloads will begin on 4/26, so we'l have to check the PlayStation Store at that time.

Save data for your PlayStation game downloads will be usable on both the PS3 and PSP. To enable this shared functionality, you'll have to update your PSP to System 3.40, which is also available today.

Sony's official Game Archives page alludes to games from "other formats" becoming available for download and play exclusively on the PS3. Such titles and formats have yet to be announced.

The PS3 update also improves backwards compatibility with PS2 games thanks to improved peripheral support. You'll now be able to use force feedback in Logitech's GT-Force Pro steering wheel (that's right, your PS3 is going to make something rumble!). Also added to the compatibility list are the Densha de Go! Controller Type 2, the Densha de Go! Shinkansen Controller and Hori's Flight Stick 2.

Strictly speaking, this update news concerns Japanese model PS3 and PSP systems only. However, if history is anything to go by, similar updates should be available around the same time wherever you happen to live."

hmm my logitech wheel worked before the update.
Well I haven't had a desync yet lol, good sign? but then again i've onlyh played for 20 mins

[quote name='DarkNessBear']That'd be a pleasent surprise.

What about GH2?

And about the PS3 interface...

I cant believe people are so hard on the PS3. Its a pretty friggen amazing console. I was checking it out, and it has alot of cool features. And the XMB is so fast and fluid... I didnt know this, but in any video you have, you can stop it at any point and create a thumbnail from where you left off, and you can do as many as you want.

So every video thumbnail will be a 15 second clip of that video (were ever you want it to be.) Thought that was sweet. And everything is really seemless and responsive. I think its alot better than the 360 interface. Definetally.

You can quickly click on some music slide over to a video or look at your pics through a slide show, then slide to your friends see what they are doing, talk to them, all in one screen very fast.

Pause very fast and clean in a video then quickly go check something online then back to the video.

Cool stuff. Cant believe it isnt being recgonized. And it looks very easy to throw features on to it. I can see it surpassing 360 services pretty fast.

I also checked out the icons, and I couldnt believe they added like 15 more pages of free icons. Even had Uncharted icons. I was like, "Damn, if I were to get all these on 360 id have to pay 20 bucks".

Then I shared Tekken with someone and he gave me Flow(very cool ability), and I was chilling out with that while downloading all the new trailers...

Its all very seemless.

Although, once you get into a game, the 360 is just like, "ZAM BAM!" and just pwns the PS3 in all aspects. Its pretty crazy everything you can do while playing a game. Man if Micorosft and Sony got together to make a console, it'd be killer.

The 360 interface is sorta clunky to me. I like how quick the PS3 bar is.[/QUOTE]I agree. It really bothers me when people say the PS3 console is shit (The games may be that way to some, but I'm talking about the actual console hardware itself). I guarantee those people never even played or touched a PS3.

Anyway, this is my 1st-2nd most wanted update on PS3. I've been wanting to play PS1 downloads on PS3 for a while, especially since many PS1 games I get now are scratched up and do not work.

It sounds like the update is really doing much to me....I don't really care too much about PS1 games, they all seemed overpriced to me too.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I agree. It really bothers me when people say the PS3 console is shit (The games may be that way to some, but I'm talking about the actual console hardware itself). I guarantee those people never even played or touched a PS3.

Anyway, this is my 1st-2nd most wanted update on PS3. I've been wanting to play PS1 downloads on PS3 for a while, especially since many PS1 games I get now are scratched up and do not work.[/quote]

*sigh* i stopped fighting over those ignorants... The PS3 has to be appreciated by those ACTUALLY have it. It's a way solid machine than the X360 and Wii owners don't know what they're missing until the PS3 gains the true ground, that should be some times in July. I know that b/c i got both Wii and PS3. I was thinking about getting a X360, but after hearing my friend's red ring episode, i'm gonna sit till the end of the year (the new model).

[quote name='doubledown']It sounds like the update is really doing much to me....I don't really care too much about PS1 games, they all seemed overpriced to me too.[/quote]

Good thing you don't have a Wii.

[quote name='dallow']Good think you don't have a Wii.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I actually LOVE the idea of older games. I've bought the Midway Arcade collection, EA Replay (PSP) and a few others...but when I really start tp play them, I basically think...these suck compared to now.

I do like the progress though. Any updates are good. Maybe one day I will like a PS1 game.

[quote name='doubledown']Yeah, I actually LOVE the idea of older games. I've bought the Midway Arcade collection, EA Replay (PSP) and a few others...but when I really start tp play them, I basically think...these suck compared to now.

I do like the progress though. Any updates are good. Maybe one day I will like a PS1 game.[/QUOTE]

agreed. the nostalgia factor is good for a little while, but that's about it. I'm glad the PS1 and classic PSN games have been $5 so far. That's about the right price for nostalgia.

I still think Microsoft is a little too proud of their interface. They take small leaps every quarter of the year, where I prefer sony's take on constant updates and improvements. I like what has happened with the PSP, and where it is now is nice. I still say people are going to eat their words once PS3 has had at least a year or so on the market.

I agree.. I think the PS3 is already very close to the 360 in terms of dashboard functionality and even the online set up. I imagine it'll surpass it this Fall with Home and update 2.0.

The problem with the 360 is that it seems so set in stone. like you'll always have that same XBL interface without much room for improvement. The XMB feels more wide open because of its simplicity.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Ign report about update.

"April 18, 2007 - The PS3 firmware update we've all been waiting for has at last arrived! What's that? Upscaling for backwards compatible games? Uhh... not quite. True DVR-style recording features? Uhh... we're going to have to wait just a bit longer for that one.

Today's update, which takes the PS3 to system version 1.70, at long last makes all those Game Archives games playable on the PS3. Previously, the downloadable PlayStation titles were only playable on the PSP.

Game Watch reports that a few PlayStation titles will continue to work exclusively on the PSP for the time being. Sony has yet to specify which games will be cross compatible. PS3-ready downloads will begin on 4/26, so we'l have to check the PlayStation Store at that time.

Save data for your PlayStation game downloads will be usable on both the PS3 and PSP. To enable this shared functionality, you'll have to update your PSP to System 3.40, which is also available today.

Sony's official Game Archives page alludes to games from "other formats" becoming available for download and play exclusively on the PS3. Such titles and formats have yet to be announced.

The PS3 update also improves backwards compatibility with PS2 games thanks to improved peripheral support. You'll now be able to use force feedback in Logitech's GT-Force Pro steering wheel (that's right, your PS3 is going to make something rumble!). Also added to the compatibility list are the Densha de Go! Controller Type 2, the Densha de Go! Shinkansen Controller and Hori's Flight Stick 2.

Strictly speaking, this update news concerns Japanese model PS3 and PSP systems only. However, if history is anything to go by, similar updates should be available around the same time wherever you happen to live."[/quote]

Not to complain too much but I could do without the little smartass ign comments in the first paragraph. This is why the PS3 gets a bad rap, a bunch of douches have to get a few opening shots in before they even report anything positive.

There are better examples out there, but enough nickel and diming the system to death. As far as I know they never said those features were going to be released today. Give me the news and leave the witty comments to cag :)

I think the ability to play PSOne games on the PS3, then transfer them and the saves to the PSP is fucking amazing. That's connectivity at its best.

[quote name='bstan21']Not to complain too much but I could do without the little smartass ign comments in the first paragraph. This is why the PS3 gets a bad rap, a bunch of douches have to get a few opening shots in before they even report anything positive.

There are better examples out there, but enough nickel and diming the system to death. As far as I know they never said those features were going to be released today. Give me the news and leave the witty comments to cag :)[/quote]

No, I see that stuff too. I roll my eyes everytime. It is just to easy and uncalled for to put in those slants.

Offical US patch notes aren't up yet still btw.

[quote name='TimPV3']I think the ability to play PSOne games on the PS3, then transfer them and the saves to the PSP is fucking amazing. That's connectivity at its best.[/QUOTE]
It really is amazing when you think about it (it's just too bad that the selection sucks at the moment). I like the Wii's Virtual Console to some degree too, but it really does suffer by comparison (except when it comes to selection). You can only play the games on the Wii and they're so darn expensive! $8 for Genesis games? $10 for N64 titles? I've basically given up buying VC titles because I know that I'm not going to get my money's worth out of playing them. If they were cheaper, or if you could transfer them to a special cartridge in the DS somehow (how cool would that be?) then I might see things differently.

I just updated my system. Do PS1 games that you have already downloaded show up under games for you to play? I see nothing there. Interestingly, I can also not find Crash Bandicoot (the only PS1 game that I have downloaded) anywhere on the PlayStation Store.

[quote name='millrat1030']After updating to v1.7 I lost all my ps3 game saves, anybody else have this problem?[/QUOTE]

luckily, no. but I'm going to back them up right now.

I will not lose 55 hours in Oblivion!

[quote name='icruise']That was my exact thought![/QUOTE]

and I'd like to take this time to say how much I love being able to back up saves to a flash drive without having to buy a $50 memory card :)

[quote name='icruise']I just updated my system. Do PS1 games that you have already downloaded show up under games for you to play? I see nothing there. Interestingly, I can also not find Crash Bandicoot (the only PS1 game that I have downloaded) anywhere on the PlayStatio Store.[/quote]

That's because after you download something, it goes away from the store. I think this is just for things you paid for, but for example, I downloaded Tekken DR and MK2 and neither of them are listed at the store for me anymore.

[quote name='millrat1030']After updating to v1.7 I lost all my ps3 game saves, anybody else have this problem?[/QUOTE]
Strange...my TS: Future Perfect save was corrupted. Not sure if it was due to the update or something else...but I sure was depressed.

Info.

Sony Computer Entertainment America reps confirmed this speculation to be fact with IGN this morning.

Under the current setup, two different files (the ROM and the certification key) are needed to activate PS1 software on the PSP, but such a system isn't needed for the PlayStation 3 and therein lays the conflict.

"We'll be replacing the older PS1 games with fixed versions sometime in May," said SCEA manager, Al de Leon. "Once the new games are uploaded, you'll be able to download the games straight to your hard drive and play them from there."

[quote name='dallow']Info.[/QUOTE]
So does that mean I'll have to rebuy Syphon Filter or will I automatically get the fixed version?

[quote name='icruise']Hmm, that's rather confusing. How do you redownload something if you delete it?[/QUOTE]
In the top-right of the store there's a list of things you've already downloaded. Just click on that.

[quote name='whoknows']So does that mean I'll have to rebuy Syphon Filter or will I automatically get the fixed version?[/quote]

Pretty sure you should be able to redownload it for free.

To force a rebuy is just pure Evil. Sony wouldn't do that...

I'm serious.

not me, Ps3 makes backing up save files pretty easy since you can just throw them on a memory card or USB stick

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back