The Official PS3 System Update Thread - 3.10 Available Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='dallow']I think Sony withdrew this too quickly.
There's no problems with the FW. Whatever minority complained about it must have been very vocal.[/QUOTE]I think the problem was with the network itself (since it was believe the download size people got was smaller than what the firmware actually was), where people's downloads weren't completing. And when they tried to install it, the completed firmware wasn't there, hence the bricking. I think it was an issue that didn't happen until later on in the day on Wednesday. Like all firmware updates, there may be tiny issues, but overall, 2.4 is fine. Sony went ahead and pulled the firmware down to make sure there wasn't a problem, but overall, I think it was something in the network.
[quote name='daphatty']Not overblown. Just thinking for myself. :)

I spoke with some of my Sony friends during GDC and they confirmed that Sony Japan shot themselves in the foot by allocating most of the PS3s RAM for games which left very little for the XMB. That's why an in-game XMB has taken so long. The engineers have had to optimize the code because they have very little memory to work with. It also explains why this release is so limited.[/QUOTE]It's all true DaPhatty.

Someone over a Game Trailers, put it all into perspective (and he's pretty much right for the most part):
Have you ever wondered why firmware 2.40 has no in-game voice messaging, cross game invites, and an in-game-xmb feature for PS2 games / bluray discs?

Its all has to do with the size of the OS. I've said this before, and this went largely ignored, but read this if you are a real PS3 fan.

When the PS3 first launched, the OS took up 96 mb of ram. This was an absolute developmental nightmare. Why? When you take 256 (since PS3 ram is split into two) and subtract 96 mb of ram - you come up with 160 available.

Since than Sony has made some monumental achievements. Sony has been doing as much as they can to reduce the footprint of the OS WHILE adding features. This is no easy task.

So how much ram is used by the OS today? Rumored to be 40mb and most hints are pointing to 32mb of ram.

Since launch, Sony has been able to reduce the footprint that much. If you guys haven't noticed, PS3 multiplatform games have looked considerably better, and first party titles have shined in a way they haven't before. Its all about of the RAM and the OS using it up.

So when you guys request these features- Sony is busily working trying to reduce the size of the OS and add what you want. This is NOT easy.

What you can look forward to in the future is this:

I predict in the next large update they will remove many of the elements of the XMB that prove to be useless during IN-Game. There is no good reason Folding at Home, the Internet Browser, and User change settings are available in the XMB In game. I expect a more streamlined and gutted XMB. This will help remove clutter and fix lockups.

(*In Sony's defense, to balance the memory usage in the past, developer's were asked to use Cell. However, we all saw how that went when devs claimed it was too hard and decided to port over Fight Night, Orange Box, and countless other shitty ports which literally took zero advantage of the Cell. Send all hate mail to EA.)

(** Ram isn't the ONLY thing. Cell optimization goes a long way in ensuring better graphics, technical coding, etc.)
Link

From 2007:
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/05/14/new-playstation-3-sdk-released-os-memory-footprint-lessened/

The original OS:
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/04/12/rumor-new-specs-on-the-ps3-os/

And more recently GAF had something.

I'm posting this because I've been trying to tell everyone this all along. I knew very well about the PS3 OS needing a lot of RAM to function early on, which is why Sony could not implement the in-game XMB at launch like they may have wanted to. Every update they had wasn't just to add features, but to reduce it. If anyone notices, firmware updates have gotten quicker partially because of the reduced file size.

Some people want to view the web in-game, but I doubt that will happen because there may only be 40MB of available RAM to view a webpage, and most of us are viewing webpages with at least 512MB of RAM. Basically, a web browser is useless with lack of RAM.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was able to download it onto a memory stick when it was up, but its not worth it IMHO to install until they put it back up -- it just wasn't pulled down for nothing. I'll redownlaod and then install when its back up.

I'm so glad mine didn't brick when I updated it to 2.4.

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']No its not back up, but if you find a site that has it for download it will work.

I just installed it on my 40 GB and it worked golden. I don't have any trophies yet, but I dont know if Ive played anything that supports it.[/QUOTE]

If you haven't played Super Stardust HD, then no, you haven't played anything that supports trophies. ;)

Well mine bricked and I'm pissed. I will cost me me $150 to mail my system in to Sony and get them to fix it. You think they would have learned something from the "Red ring of death" ordeal. and fixed it for free.

May or may not be related to being able to download and use firmware 2.40, until an hour ago I didn't have any real problems but I got bored and decided to check out weather.com.

I never really used the internet browser on the PS3 before, but it might be my imagination but it seems slower now. I also had my PS3 freeze when I tried to exit the webbrowser after it became incredibly non-responsive while checking the weather at weather.com. It seemed non-responsive when I was on the PS3 homepage as well. As soon as I brought up the exit confirmation screen things just stopped. Thankfully turning off the system by using the switch in the back made things better. I couldn't turn it off with either the controller or the on/off button by the disc slot.

[quote name='probablysober']May or may not be related to being able to download and use firmware 2.40, until an hour ago I didn't have any real problems but I got bored and decided to check out weather.com.

I never really used the internet browser on the PS3 before, but it might be my imagination but it seems slower now. I also had my PS3 freeze when I tried to exit the webbrowser after it became incredibly non-responsive while checking the weather at weather.com. It seemed non-responsive when I was on the PS3 homepage as well. As soon as I brought up the exit confirmation screen things just stopped. Thankfully turning off the system by using the switch in the back made things better. I couldn't turn it off with either the controller or the on/off button by the disc slot.[/quote]

I had that same problem on my 60gb long before I ever updated to 2.40.

I even had the web browser freeze once and for a few days after, my PS3 would not play PS2 games. Figure that one out :p

[quote name='XXXplosive1']Well mine bricked and I'm pissed. I will cost me me $150 to mail my system in to Sony and get them to fix it. You think they would have learned something from the "Red ring of death" ordeal. and fixed it for free.[/QUOTE]You should have tried removing the HDD and inserting it back in before paying Sony, because regardless, you will be losing game saves. By doing that, the HDD reformats itself. I remember a few who did that and the console was fixed. Sony will tell you to send it in because it's not a fix they are suppose to tell people to do (like they are doing a HDD swap).

Red Ring != bricking. Red Ring was a case of the GPU frying or hardware component failure (A PS3 hardware failure results in three beeps or yellow light). Bricking is a software failure (hardware is okay).

Mana is it safer to wait for Sony to put the updates on the site instead of system updating? I think that is how I will do it for now on even if I have to wait a while for them to get it up. I think a previous misdownload or whatever borked my system before. My refurb seems okay but I am wondering whats with all the network updating issues.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Mana is it safer to wait for Sony to put the updates on the site instead of system updating? I think that is how I will do it for now on even if I have to wait a while for them to get it up. I think a previous misdownload or whatever borked my system before. My refurb seems okay but I am wondering whats with all the network updating issues.[/QUOTE]I'd say it is. Using the internet, anything could happen. Servers could shut down out of no where or something else. Basically, downloading from internet is kind of a "blind download" you could say. You can at least tell if the download is legit from the Official PS Site. I serious wonder if the people were giving a faulty file or something because the official site did get attacked by SQL injection: http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/07/02/official-playstation-site-hacked-says-it-company-sophos/

This happened around the same time the firmware problem downloads happened. Before that, there wasn't an issue.

I can definitely tell there was network issues on Wednesday, because when I tried downloading the SSD HD update, the update could not be found 5 times (my PS3 just automatically reset). That was the first time I had that issue since I purchased CoD4. I dunno if it was related to firmware also, but something seemed to have happened.
[quote name='Furashu']no one read my post... did anyone else's ps3 crash while playing?
i was playing MGs4 and my ps3 just crashed and i couldnt turn it off normally nor access any xmb or anything, the screen went black. i had to flick the power switch.

i have a 60gb ps3 and my ps3 has NEVER had any problems.[/QUOTE]It has happened to be twice (once with MGO and once with Commando online). My guess is (could be right/wrong) a firmware update before change the process when a game freezes. Before, I didn't have to power off from the back, but this time I did.

I don't see what the rush to upgrade is at this point. Only one game supports trophies, and they probably won't upgrade any other titles until the "latest" 2.4 is re-released.

I'm sitting cool and playing it safe until my PS3 tells me install the latest and greatest from Sony. Anyone that upgrades out of haste at this point may have to upgrade again. The next FW might be 2.41, for example, meaning you'd have to go through the process all over again. :lol:

[quote name='Azumangaman']So, 2.40 is out? I'm asking because when I try to d/l a new system update it tells me I'm already updated but I'm at 2.36...[/QUOTE]

they took it down, it'll be up soon enough... I'm just waiting for the sshd patch to come back up.

edit: I got a abd feeling that the reason sony took down the update was that GT prologue, Warhawk, and other games became shareable.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']they took it down, it'll be up soon enough... I'm just waiting for the sshd patch to come back up.

edit: I got a abd feeling that the reason sony took down the update was that GT prologue, Warhawk, and other games became shareable.[/quote]

If people werent such idiots and didnt post that all over the official PS Forums, 2.4 would be back up right now for sure.

[quote name='smiggity']If people werent such idiots and didnt post that all over the official PS Forums, 2.4 would be back up right now for sure.[/QUOTE]

ugg... I hope it still is. I was hoping to trade for warhawk for Gt prologue. I thought at least until 2.41 comes out, so I could get e free few weeks with it and try it out, as wella s someone else with warhawk.

I could have sworn I heard someone say Sega Rally Revo and Hot Shots Golf: OoB did not work with in-game XMB somewhere. I tried both games, on menus, online, and in-gameplay, and the XMB came up every time I pressed the PS Button.

[quote name='Chuplayer']More RAM for games? I fail to see how that's a bad thing. It's great that XMB is now ingame, but I lived without it for long enough and reaped its benefits. Actually, I only own one system intensive game, so I didn't reap the benefits except for a few days. Still, it's good to know that they allocated RAM to the right spot: for the games.[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean more RAM for games was a bad thing. I meant the small amount of RAM that Sony put in the PS3 was a bad thing.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I think the problem was with the network itself (since it was believe the download size people got was smaller than what the firmware actually was), where people's downloads weren't completing. And when they tried to install it, the completed firmware wasn't there, hence the bricking. I think it was an issue that didn't happen until later on in the day on Wednesday. Like all firmware updates, there may be tiny issues, but overall, 2.4 is fine. Sony went ahead and pulled the firmware down to make sure there wasn't a problem, but overall, I think it was something in the network.
It's all true DaPhatty.

Someone over a Game Trailers, put it all into perspective (and he's pretty much right for the most part):
Link

From 2007:
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/05/14/new-playstation-3-sdk-released-os-memory-footprint-lessened/

The original OS:
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/04/12/rumor-new-specs-on-the-ps3-os/

And more recently GAF had something.

I'm posting this because I've been trying to tell everyone this all along. I knew very well about the PS3 OS needing a lot of RAM to function early on, which is why Sony could not implement the in-game XMB at launch like they may have wanted to. Every update they had wasn't just to add features, but to reduce it. If anyone notices, firmware updates have gotten quicker partially because of the reduced file size.

Some people want to view the web in-game, but I doubt that will happen because there may only be 40MB of available RAM to view a webpage, and most of us are viewing webpages with at least 512MB of RAM. Basically, a web browser is useless with lack of RAM.[/QUOTE]

There's the article I was talking about. Thanks TMK.

No one talks about the miracle that Sony has produced in their efforts to reduce to the Footprint of the OS. I hope that they start to see the fruits of their labor. I think one day they will. I say that thinking about the PSP in Japan and how its started to perform well. The same thing can happen for the PS3 in the US. overall though, Sony should make the developers implement custom soundtracks in their games, that way they don't have to waste time trying to get it to work from the OS.

[quote name='screwkick']Any idea when sony will re-release 2.40?[/QUOTE]We have no idea. If Sony re-releases 2.4, it will be Monday or Tuesday I'm thinking. If Sony decides to make Update 2.41, we will not see an update for at least 1.5 weeks (it takes some time to get a new update together).

[quote name='screwkick']Any idea when sony will re-release 2.40?[/quote]

You can burn it to a CD and try it if you like (at your own risk, of course)
Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/127690865/2.4.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/127673289/2.4.part2.rar

[quote name='jdioutkast']Just a heads up, 2.41 is coming sometime this week.

Source.

Enjoy![/QUOTE]

Finally. 2.40 has been such a cocktease.

Edit: I'll note that a new version number is not a confirmation of something actually being changed in the firmware. Software sometimes gets a new version number but no other changes for quality control and tracking reasons.

I don't know why you would feel sorry. I downloaded on my 60gb and it has been working fine. I don't think the bricking problems were confined to one model.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']i feel sorry for all the 60gbs that downloaded 2.40[/QUOTE]

Please don't. Neither my 60GB nor any of my 5 friends who also all have 60GB models have had any problems at all with 2.40. Looks like mostly 80GB and 40GB models were the ones who ran into issues.

[quote name='Nogib']Please don't. Neither my 60GB nor any of my 5 friends who also all have 60GB models have had any problems at all with 2.40. Looks like mostly 80GB and 40GB models were the ones who ran into issues.[/quote]

Seems to be my experience too.

My 80 gig has been great with 2.40. It seems like the problem really was not that common, but it obviously sucks for anyone affected.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']You should have tried removing the HDD and inserting it back in before paying Sony, because regardless, you will be losing game saves. By doing that, the HDD reformats itself. I remember a few who did that and the console was fixed. Sony will tell you to send it in because it's not a fix they are suppose to tell people to do (like they are doing a HDD swap).

Red Ring != bricking. Red Ring was a case of the GPU frying or hardware component failure (A PS3 hardware failure results in three beeps or yellow light). Bricking is a software failure (hardware is okay).[/QUOTE]

I didn't mail it in yet. I was really pissed about it when it happened because I had been been playing MGS4 and just beat it the day before and was going through the registration process to see play MGO when I DL 2.4 and ended up calling Sony. I am hoping there is an easier fix or at least a way to recover my save games.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Has been working fine since day one on my 60GB as well.[/quote]

Ditto. I downloaded it before I went to work the morning it was released. I haven't had any problems as of yet on my 60GB system.

[quote name='Bavgate']God, just when I turn off my PS3, I have to jump back on it and do something else. :lol:[/quote]

Quickly! Download it before Sony takes it off the servers again! :p

Something I've noticed just now is how Sony gave you the option to turn the PS3 off after the update downloads onto your system. It's very convenient and cool for Sony to do that, because we all know how long some of these firmware updates take to complete. ;)

[quote name='metaly']After all the commotion over 2.4, I think I'll wait a little bit on this one. Or at least until tomorrow's MGO game. :)[/quote]

Well, you can't really play online without installing the latest firmware... ;)

[quote name='freakyzeeky']Something I've noticed just now is how Sony gave you the option to turn the PS3 off after the update downloads onto your system. It's very convenient and cool for Sony to do that, because we all know how long some of these firmware updates take to complete. ;)[/quote]

I was wondering if that was new or not. Bad memory. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back