The Official PS3 System Update Thread - 3.10 Available Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smiggity, good to hear. I'm relieved it actually fixed it.

[quote name='Richlough']They really should get it together and have this update on the web simultaniuosly .

Heck who am I kidding , it's probably the same guy that updates both and he's driving across town to finish .[/quote]
The update is actually put up online just before it's up on PSN.
They just don't update the page right away, but the download will be for the newest version.

Yay. Another completely fuckin' useless update for me. Thanks Sony, for requiring me to update some useless garbage for photo labeling or whatever the fuck that nonsense was I read during the disclaimer for the fw update.

[quote name='I am the cheatest whatever']I don't care how YouTube plays on my PS3, though I HAVE used it on my PS3. Maybe I'm just too lax in my standards, but as long as my system can play GAMES, I'm a happy guy.

Especially when it can play games without requiring a motherfuckin' update every couple weeks/months. Give me backwards compatability and I'll leave the thing on for two weeks straight to download that, but shove the minor fixes that take an hour and I can't skip for personal reasons up your asses.

Oh and trophies suck big horse phallus, by the way. Thanks for adding in that useless crap too that took over an hour to update.[/quote]Cry more?
There are backend fixes to keep PSN more stable online, it helps when everyone is on the same firmware. It's been two whole months since the last update.

[quote name='dallow']The update is actually put up online just before it's up on PSN.
They just don't update the page right away, but the download will be for the newest version.[/QUOTE]

Thanks , I think I'll go that route next time .

I actually really like the photo software .
I'd really love it if it let me take my Wallpapers out of it .

It probably does but I couldn't tell yet .

[quote name='zewone']Where can I download the update (using the internet, not PSN)?[/QUOTE]

Don't tell me you have a hacked PS3 .

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Yay. Another completely fuckin' useless update for me. Thanks Sony, for requiring me to update some useless garbage for photo labeling or whatever the fuck that nonsense was I read during the disclaimer for the fw update.

I don't care how YouTube plays on my PS3, though I HAVE used it on my PS3. Maybe I'm just too lax in my standards, but as long as my system can play GAMES, I'm a happy guy.

.[/quote]

The PS3 updates for the most part are like the PSP updates: completely worthless. Every once in a blue moon they add good stuff, but most of the time it's junk.

Well the PSP's updates were more geared to fight the custom firmware scene, but unless there's some secret hacking scene I'm not aware of, Sony should really only put up big updates with LOTS of changes, not just little things here or there, kind of a bother when I wanna play online.

Well sometimes don't they update to get ready for big releases? I know there was one around MGS4. Maybe all the PSN tweaking could be to help Killzone2.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I don't mind it only takes me a few minutes to download updates.[/quote]

A couple of minutes?

I was about to post and ask how big the file is. It's been going for around 30 minutes for me. :shrugs:

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Thankfully, mine goes fast also, but it's a drag when I wanna pick up and play right away :/[/quote]

Ugh man I totally feel you.

THE worst is taking a game to a friends house, wanting to show it and than running into this:

-Place game in
-SYSTEM UPDATE REQUIRED
-Update for 5-10 minutes (add an extra 5-10 minutes because your friend has shitty internet)
-Install update (1-2 minutes)
-Start up game
-GAME INSTALL REQUIRED
-"ERGH!" Install for 5-15 minutes
-Install completed; restart game
-GAME UPDATE REQUIRED
-"AGH!!!" Update for 5 minutes; update complete
-Update number 2 required; "AGHH!!!"
-5 minutes later
-PLAY GAME
-Notice that your friend has left to go get tacos
-Cry

(AND hopefully Sony didn't release another system update by the time it took you to do the "play game tango".)

*hugs N64*

I dare you to bring LBP to ur friends house...

[quote name='cartman58']A couple of minutes?

I was about to post and ask how big the file is. It's been going for around 30 minutes for me. :shrugs:[/QUOTE]

On the web the file is 137.x MB .

[quote name='dallow']
Cry more?
There are backend fixes to keep PSN more stable online, it helps when everyone is on the same firmware. It's been two whole months since the last update.[/quote]

If they actually released properly tested and less buggy software/hardware, then these 'fixes' wouldn't be fuckin' needed.

The only reason it irks me is because this shit had nothing to do with fixing any problem that I really cared about. It didn't fix the random booting I get in GTA IV or anything that matters to me, so it's useless.

You should be able to skip garbage updates that you don't personally need.

I have the 768 DSL and it's set up wirelessly so I don't have to drill holes and make a mess to run a cable to the PS3. Even with the friggin right ports opened up and a static IP for my PS3, the connection is SLOOOOOOOOW.

Sometimes, you just want to be able to pick up the controller and PLAY, you know?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If they actually released properly tested and less buggy software/hardware, then these 'fixes' wouldn't be fuckin' needed.[/quote]This update had 2 big updates (that obviously you don't care about) and one unmentioned fix. It wasn't purely a "fix it" update.

The only reason it irks me is because this shit had nothing to do with fixing any problem that I really cared about. It didn't fix the random booting I get in GTA IV or anything that matters to me, so it's useless.
Hasn't that game been buggy since forever? That's what the individual game patches are for. I couldn't even get into an online match in GTAIV until Rockstar released their first patch for GTAIV.

Sometimes, you just want to be able to pick up the controller and PLAY, you know?
That's what you've been able to do for the past two months.
I am sorry you were inconvenienced last night for my and others' benefit. What game did you miss playing some time online on?

EDIT: I can understand being annoyed by a FW update, but that original "fuck you" post and those that other's make are just huge exaggerations and crying over something relatively minor.

Yea, I'm just annoyed sometimes, but what I hate more is when you DL a demo that's over a 1GB and then have to wait for it to initialize and then install, both of those take the same amount of time so it kinda feels like an update, just sayin' since I just DL'd the Skate 2 demo lol ;)

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Ugh man I totally feel you.

THE worst is taking a game to a friends house, wanting to show it and than running into this:

-Place game in
-SYSTEM UPDATE REQUIRED
-Update for 5-10 minutes (add an extra 5-10 minutes because your friend has shitty internet)
-Install update (1-2 minutes)
-Start up game
-GAME INSTALL REQUIRED
-"ERGH!" Install for 5-15 minutes
-Install completed; restart game
-GAME UPDATE REQUIRED
-"AGH!!!" Update for 5 minutes; update complete
-Update number 2 required; "AGHH!!!"
-5 minutes later
-PLAY GAME
-Notice that your friend has left to go get tacos
-Cry

(AND hopefully Sony didn't release another system update by the time it took you to do the "play game tango".)

*hugs N64*

I dare you to bring LBP to ur friends house...[/quote]

Haha, ahhh snap, I guess what I'll do is ask if they want to play online, if so, then I'm willing to go through that, otherwise I'd just tell them to disconnect from the network and play that way, but yea, that blows.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dallow']This update had 2 big updates (that obviously you don't care about) and one unmentioned fix. It wasn't purely a "fix it" update.

Hasn't that game been buggy since forever? That's what the individual game patches are for. I couldn't even get into an online match in GTAIV until Rockstar released their first patch for GTAIV.

I am sorry you were inconvenienced last night for my and others' benefit. What game did you miss playing some time online on?

EDIT: I can understand being annoyed by a FW update, but that original "fuck you" post and those that other's make are just huge exaggerations and crying over something relatively minor.[/QUOTE]

It's far from relatively minor. Anytime an update comes along, I can kiss about 25 minutes of playing time goodbye.

That's a serious flaw.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
I have the 768 DSL and it's set up wirelessly so I don't have to drill holes and make a mess to run a cable to the PS3. Even with the friggin right ports opened up and a static IP for my PS3, the connection is SLOOOOOOOOW.

Sometimes, you just want to be able to pick up the controller and PLAY, you know?[/QUOTE]

768 DSL is really slow.

The PS3 FW updates are annoying. I wish they would figure out a way to simply "update" the last FW, rather than having you download it all from scratch.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']It's far from relatively minor. Anytime an update comes along, I can kiss about 25 minutes of playing time goodbye.

That's a serious flaw.[/quote]

What I do is when I see an update has been put out I turn on the PS3, start up the DL and select the "turn off PS3 when done" box. Switch inputs and watch TV. That way when I DO want to play I can do it no problem. I never understood why people just did not do this.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']It's far from relatively minor. Anytime an update comes along, I can kiss about 25 minutes of playing time goodbye.

That's a serious flaw.[/quote]I didn't even play my PS3 yesterday. I just turned it on to update since I saw it came out and finished making dinner. I do that so when I want to play a game (like tonight) I won't have to do the update.

I agree with Zew, wish they could have found a way to put out smaller updates, rather than the full file each time.
That'd quicken up the process.

EDIT: Beaten by the above.
Exactly, I'm on forums enough to know when an update is out, so I just set it, and it turns off automatically in the background. I had no intentions of gaming yesterday.
Just made dinner and watched a movie on 360 as my wittle PSTriple updated.

[quote name='Richlough']I don't think it's as slow as it would appear .

I think the progress bar is way out of wack .[/quote]

I think that's right. I don't usually watch the bar past 10% or so but both downloading and installing seem to finish much faster than I expect. One time I managed to see it jump from around 50% to finished, so I don't think it's just me losing track of time.

[quote name='fuss']What I do is when I see an update has been put out I turn on the PS3, start up the DL and select the "turn off PS3 when done" box. Switch inputs and watch TV. That way when I DO want to play I can do it no problem. I never understood why people just did not do this.[/QUOTE]

Because I don't turn it on unless I want to play it? Because when I read about this stuff I'm not at home?

[quote name='dallow']This update had 2 big updates (that obviously you don't care about) and one unmentioned fix. It wasn't purely a "fix it" update.[/quote]

You're right. I really didn't care about anything else it fixed.

It still IS buggy, but unfortunately it appears that Rockstar has moved onto the DLC for 360.

I missed out on some time playing GTA IV, since I don't think I've played any other game online except for maybe MK 2 and I got my ass handed to me in that so I stopped playing that against people.

EDIT: I can understand being annoyed by a FW update, but that original "fuck you" post and those that other's make are just huge exaggerations and crying over something relatively minor.

It's not so much that the FW updates are a huge, huge hassle as we make them out to be, it's that they don't release much smaller files that take up LESS time to download and install.

If it's an issue that some of us have no problem with, be it that we don't use the function that's messed up or whatever, then we should have the ability to say 'I don't need that update' and SKIP the damn thing.

Having everyone download and install the same crap whether or not we need it is just a waste of time.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You're right. I really didn't care about anything else it fixed.

It still IS buggy, but unfortunately it appears that Rockstar has moved onto the DLC for 360.

I missed out on some time playing GTA IV, since I don't think I've played any other game online except for maybe MK 2 and I got my ass handed to me in that so I stopped playing that against people.

It's not so much that the FW updates are a huge, huge hassle as we make them out to be, it's that they don't release much smaller files that take up LESS time to download and install.

If it's an issue that some of us have no problem with, be it that we don't use the function that's messed up or whatever, then we should have the ability to say 'I don't need that update' and SKIP the damn thing.

Having everyone download and install the same crap whether or not we need it is just a waste of time.[/quote]

You can skip them. Just don't sign in to PSN. That way it will save you time and all of us the trouble of having to read your whiny ass posts. Seriously dude you bitch so much over 20 minutes.

[quote name='smiggity']You can skip them. Just don't sign in to PSN. That way it will save you time and all of us the trouble of having to read your whiny ass posts. Seriously dude you bitch so much over 20 minutes.[/QUOTE]

That's ALL he does! I have never seen a post where he is not whining, fighting, or complaining.. No joke! That's just me being observant.

[quote name='smiggity']You can skip them. Just don't sign in to PSN. That way it will save you time and all of us the trouble of having to read your whiny ass posts. Seriously dude you bitch so much over 20 minutes.[/QUOTE]

This isn't whiny?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']This isn't whiny?[/QUOTE]

I think his point was just that myself, smiggity, maybe others are tired of cheapest always complaining about this and that. Dude, is forever pissed about PS3 updates, hdtv, games not being cheap enough etc..

But, it's all good we don't need to fight amongst ourselves when there are bigger tasks at hand..;)

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211043

[quote name='CocheseUGA']This isn't whiny?[/quote]

More so informative, but if thats the way you see it...

Damn, shit talking about CAG?? Those bright white forums hurt the eyes....

[quote name='js1']I think his point was just that myself, smiggity, maybe others are tired of cheapest always complaining about this and that. Dude, is forever pissed about PS3 updates, hdtv, games not being cheap enough etc..

But, it's all good we don't need to fight amongst ourselves when there are bigger tasks at hand..;)

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211043[/QUOTE]

There's always the ignore feature. I think he's a bit whiny too, but it doesn't bother me.

Back on topic, my update failed because of a server issue. Why am I not surprised?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']There's always the ignore feature. I think he's a bit whiny too, but it doesn't bother me.

Back on topic, my update failed because of a server issue. Why am I not surprised?[/QUOTE]

You know what I completely forgot about that feature!:bouncy: But, I don't think I'll use it though because I don't find him THAT annoying to the point of using it.

At least his posts aren't 13 pages long explaining why PS3 should not drop in price. I dont think anyone here is bad enough to put on "ignore".

[quote name='Richlough']There is no complaining allowed in the land of PS3 .[/QUOTE]

Correct. Sony has enough problem they don't need people complaining about PS3. ;)

I'm just glad we can download the updates from the web and install them from storage media.

If only we could do that with game updates.

[quote name='manthing']I'm just glad we can download the updates from the web and install them from storage media.

If only we could do that with game updates.[/quote]

It's the only way to do it really. Going through the ps3 just doesn't always work very well. Plus the updates download sloooowwww on the ps3. Glad to have the option as you said.

There are some things I wish sony would change as far as system and game updates go (being able to set it to shut down after a game update like a system update, low power downloading like the xbox, not having to download the whole 100+mb firmware everytime and just have a quick patch to it) but I doubt they will so whatever. I can live with it :)

[quote name='wcraigw']It's the only way to do it really. Going through the ps3 just doesn't always work very well. Plus the updates download sloooowwww on the ps3. Glad to have the option as you said.

There are some things I wish sony would change as far as system and game updates go (being able to set it to shut down after a game update like a system update, low power downloading like the xbox, not having to download the whole 100+mb firmware everytime and just have a quick patch to it) but I doubt they will so whatever. I can live with it :)[/QUOTE]

How much faster is it? If it worth it I will do it like that from now on. I do hate how long the update take.

[quote name='js1']How much faster is it? If it worth it I will do it like that from now on. I do hate how long the update take.[/quote]

Last night I was able to d/l the update via the Sony page in 6-7 minutes.

It doesn't help the install times though. :lol:

[quote name='manthing']Last night I was able to d/l the update via the Sony page in 6-7 minutes.

It doesn't help the install times though. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Still, the D/L'ing is what kills me.

These are annoying. Anyways, I want an update that lets you mute all incoming VOIP by using the parental control settings, don't know how an obvious feature like that was overlooked. I emailed PS3 support and all they said was, "You can mute players in the game itself." which made me glad I don't have any Sony stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back