The Official PS3 System Update Thread - 3.10 Available Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I JUST got done saying in the GTA IV thread, THANKS SONY!!! I was just on my fuckin' PS3 3-4 hours ago and I checked and your piece of shit update wasn't live for the US yet(I guess) and now that I actually want to just hop on and play a game, I gotta fuckin' wait for your useless shit to download and install. Unlike Microsoft Windows updates and other various software updates I have for my PC, I can't even skip the friggin' thing and STILL get online, THAT shit has to change.

So much for CAG GTA night, I suppose. Absolutely fuckin' useless this company is. Why not put up the updates when people have assloads of free time to waste, like the WEEKENDS?!?!

Again, fuckin' useless shit I'll never use. Thanks again, Sony. Absolutely fuckin' amazing garbage.

Text chat is full of fucking fail. It's a pain in the ass typing and responding to one message, let alone 16. Stupidest shit ever. Maybe if they fixed how laggy PSN and the XMB are it would be a little easier. It takes forever for the message stuff to pop up once you hit triangle, and it's annoying to type messages using a controller. Why don't we have voice chat? Is this on the way? That's a hell of lot easier to organize and play with friends than text chatting. I can't imaging how text chatting with 15 people while you're playing a game is supposed to be cool and fun. That would just screw up your game, especially if you're playing online. In the video on the PS blog, it takes forever for the guy to type out a simple message.

The organization of the friends list also sucks. Why can't I put them into categories?

[quote name='KingBroly']Does anyone even use the Voice Chat Lobby on the PS3?[/quote]
Yes, it badly needs to support more people though. Cross-game voice chat would be cool but I'd guess MS has that locked down.:roll:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']As I JUST got done saying in the GTA IV thread, THANKS SONY!!! I was just on my fuckin' PS3 3-4 hours ago and I checked and your piece of shit update wasn't live for the US yet(I guess) and now that I actually want to just hop on and play a game, I gotta fuckin' wait for your useless shit to download and install. Unlike Microsoft Windows updates and other various software updates I have for my PC, I can't even skip the friggin' thing and STILL get online, THAT shit has to change.

So much for CAG GTA night, I suppose. Absolutely fuckin' useless this company is. Why not put up the updates when people have assloads of free time to waste, like the WEEKENDS?!?!

Again, fuckin' useless shit I'll never use. Thanks again, Sony. Absolutely fuckin' amazing garbage.[/quote]
SHOW ME YOUR RAGE!!!
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

[quote name='KingBroly']Rolento, you are one lucky SOB, you know that?[/quote]

I was still off by a day, but my source was from ireland... so um, that makes no sense to me >_

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']It runs fine for me....[/quote]

Well that's you. All my friends and I have a laggy ass PSN and XMB. Hopefully after the update is finished I noticed a difference, but that needs to get fixed ASAP. It just seems to be getting worse and worse.

Copying and pasting text is a nice feature.

Wait, woah woah woah. This new sorting system sucks. I like it better before this update where it was like...

You
Friends Only (ABC order)
Friends Not Available (ABC order)
Friends Offline (ABC order)

They've essentially taken out double sorting, which sucks.

ya text chat freakin blows.
1. 32 character limit per message
2. switching from physical keyboard to controller to back-out by pressing O button brings up virtual keyboard instead of just backing out.
3. participant list separate? why not just display on the side? (4x3 tv support probably, lame)
4. no option to turn off censor, what the hell?
5. censors regis****** (registering)...explain that

I noticed some changes right away. Trophies do load faster. When checking your own profile, each trophy loads one by one instead of all at once. When comparing trophies with friends, if a friend doesn't have a game you have trophies in, it no longer says 0%, it now shows a line.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I noticed some changes right away. Trophies do load faster. When checking your own profile, each trophy loads one by one instead of all at once. When comparing trophies with friends, if a friend doesn't have a game you have trophies in, it no longer says 0%, it now shows a line.[/quote]

Does it still take ages for the complete list of games you and your friends have to show up?

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Calm down Cheapest lol, me and Phoenix JUST played RE5 and the servers were fine.[/quote]

Good for you. I was just on my POS 3 4 fuckin' hours ago, back long before CAG GTA night was due to start and I checked multiple times to make sure some shitty update wasn't due so I wouldn't be forced to download the garbage and miss 45 minutes or so of game time tonight.

Yet, as soon as I went to check my messages on PSN, I get kicked out of PSN or whatever and told there's some bs update. At least if you could download this shit in the background while playing online, that would be a welcome addition.

Mind you, the ability to cut/paste is nice, but the rest of it is SHIT(as usual).

Oh and Mana Knight....YAY for trophies(useless to me as well)loading faster.

Please tell me the text chat is laying the grounds for 16 person voice chat.

Because if this E3 is another "one more year" E3...

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://dus01.ps3.update.playstation...3352adc32e39ec5f7b4cdeb8b861052a/PS3UPDAT.PUP

Cheapest, you can download the update here and install manually.[/quote]

That's all fine and well, but I'd rather put off downloading and installing the piece of shit completely, if I could, but I know Sony has this hive mentality for the PS3 owners that 'everybody must have the same fuckin' firmware'. It's a shame they didn't have that mentality when it came about pricing the fuckin' thing or keeping in useful components(like the PS2 BC).

But hey, something they have monkeys doing in-house to fuck with minor shit that most of us will never use, sure why not make a ton of these useless things.

BostonCollegeFan: I think if you're already IN a game when they released the update it won't kick you, but I was about to go on to play some GTA IV at 10pm and it wouldn't let me do anything BUT download this garbage.

So, I guess I'm fucked and have to sit by and watch this crap download or find something to watch on tv(which is why I play the PS3 at this time of night, since nothing is on that I'll watch).

I found another stealth feature I dunno if people heard. There's an internet search option now for the games. When I was playing Eternal Sonata, I pressed triangle to eject disc, and there was an option for internet search. If I clicked it, it opened the browser bringing up Google searches for Eternal Sonata, no joke.
[quote name='TimPV3']Please tell me the text chat is laying the grounds for 16 person voice chat.

Because if this E3 is another "one more year" E3...[/QUOTE]Maybe, maybe not. Part of the reason 360 has voicechat is because a portion of the OS is reserved just for that (never been the case in the PS3), where if you aren't chatting in an online games, the space is there to chat with friends. On PS3, developers themselves have to implement the voicechat with the amount of memory they have to work with.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Oh ok, my apologies then Cheapest.

Although I have no respect for anyone bad mouthing text chatting. Not everyone has the ability to hear.[/quote]

Then they should buy a damn mic. If they can afford a 400-500 dollar system and 60 buck games, they should be able to afford a mic. There's really no excuse. We shouldn't have to suffer because other people suck.

[quote name='yukine']Yeah because that helps deaf people. You insensitive jackass.[/quote]

Haha oops I misread his post. I thought he meant people who didn't have mics. My bad. I really need to start sleeping more. Well I guess this update is great if you can't hear. :D For the rest of us, not so much.

I noticed comparing trophies is a little faster, so that's good. I'll have to see how the XMB is when I hop into a game. Hopefully it's a little less laggy.

It seems that when you compare trophies with someone who hasn't played the same game it shows a dash [-] instead of 0% .
I like that .

EDIT *** Also, it now displays the remaining time left for a download .

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lokizz']not too happy about the text adddition i hate when people send me massages to my mail box now this............[/quote]

I love it when people send me massages, especially big breasted female people. As for me bad mouthing text chat, I'm actually badmouthing Sony in general.

First, they had Krazy Ken saying 'people should work more to afford a PS3' and now you have the asshole who debuted this touting what a great(POS) feature it is.

Two words will have me salivating and asking when the FW update is, Sony. You know what they are? BACKWARDS COMPATABILITY(for PS2 games on non hardware/software BC models).

Otherwise, I'd like the option to take these updates and reject them completely.

Glad they finally sort the friends list by online status when sending messages. Also text chat is a riot. GTA night with both voice and text chat going the whole time made me feel schizophrenic. So awesome.

why dont they have a download firmware during off mode?
(sort of implied on the Wii, but that never happen, did it?)
I know the PS3 is always connected to PSN even its off, cuz the PSP can turn it on remotely thru PSN network.

Was going for a quick Resistance 2 game, then i found out i need to DL the FW. Happens every update :(

/rant

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Would you rather have new features or a company who still say's the RROD problem was miniscule?[/quote]

I'd rather have a company that would openly admit that the Disc Read Error problem last gen was a MAJOR issue and not deny it till doomsday like Sony has save for the few months they repaired DRE PS2's for free due to being SUED. I knew too many people with fucked up PS2's versus the original XBox, so this gen it's Microsoft's turn to have a bad piece of hardware.

EVERY repair shop I went to where they repaired consoles had 4-5x the number of 'dead' or DRE PS2's versus the original Xbox systems. Then again, those things were built like tanks and could've probably withstood a nuclear blast compared to the largely plastic PS2.

As for new features, if they're useless to me, then the entire fuckin' update is as well. Again, I'll say that if Sony came out with a FREE download(if they wanna charge for it or make some PS2 games downloadable on PSN for a fee, then fuck them) for BC for non BC PS3's and it took DAYS to dowload it, I'd do it. But these new features are worthless to me.

[quote name='anch']why dont they have a download firmware during off mode?
(sort of implied on the Wii, but that never happen, did it?)
I know the PS3 is always connected to PSN even its off, cuz the PSP can turn it on remotely thru PSN network.

Was going for a quick Resistance 2 game, then i found out i need to DL the FW. Happens every update :(

/rant[/QUOTE]

When you opt to turn on Remote Play for the PSP you're making the PS3 wireless stay on, otherwise it's normally always off when the PS3 is off .

Well, looks like I was pretty wrong about the text chat feature.

I thought it would be useless since you'd have to pause whatever game, load the xmb, and then load up the chat. And that'd be the only way to reply or read anything.

At least that's how the video presented it.

But in reality, messages from the chat DO pop up while you're playing something as little chat bubbles.
And hitting the PS button automatically launches the chat window.

I'll be using this now.

Yeah but Cheapest you're just one person who feels like that. Why should Sony cater to you instead of everyone else?

Also the DRE were rectifyed when the slimlines came out; the 360's still have RRoD and Error 74 regardless of how many revision they do, and they don't repair for free.

Ok, no one please talk to cheapest. These rants are extremely annoying now, and not as funny as before.

---

Wow, more cool things about the chat.

The rooms you make are persistent.
Unless you delete the room, they're always there, even if you turn off the system.
Almost becomes an IRC channel. :)
Who will make the CAG room? I say TMK, since he has probably the most CAGs "friended"

Broswer updates sound cool. Hulu is super fast now, Joost works even better.
Custom themes now have more options:
You can specify which background to display either randomly (which was how it was before) or using date/time. It can be a specific date (January 30th) or a range of days (January 1st-15th) or even the hours of the day (7am-10am).

[quote name='smiggity']Text chat is going to ruin any competitive games on the PS3. Shit needs to be disabled for all online shooters ASAP[/quote]Yeah, it's pretty bad with party chat on 360.
Makes it a bit unfair.

I've yet to try the chat out, but it sounds interesting. I could have used this the other night when some of us were playing Buzz. It was such a pain before to have to go to the XMB, find the person, send them a message, etc etc.

[quote name='smiggity']Text chat is going to ruin any competitive games on the PS3. Shit needs to be disabled for all online shooters ASAP[/quote]
Look out behind you!!! Grenade!!
:rofl:

I agree though... it can be unfair in certain situations.

[quote name='mguiddy']Look out behind you!!! Grenade!!
:rofl:

I agree though... it can be unfair in certain situations.[/QUOTE]

Or bombard your enemy with incoming texts to block some of his screen . :lol:

Lol soo funny I saw the message from Metaly and whipped around gun ready to fire. Then I heard MisterB crackin up and realized metaly wasnt even in game. Got me good!

But seriously it is just up to /6 to disable this feature somehow when playing Socom. For respawn shooters it really doesnt matter but no-respawn makes it a HUGE problem that should have been addressed before it was even released.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I love it when people send me massages, especially big breasted female people. As for me bad mouthing text chat, I'm actually badmouthing Sony in general.

First, they had Krazy Ken saying 'people should work more to afford a PS3' and now you have the asshole who debuted this touting what a great(POS) feature it is.

Two words will have me salivating and asking when the FW update is, Sony. You know what they are? BACKWARDS COMPATABILITY(for PS2 games on non hardware/software BC models).

Otherwise, I'd like the option to take these updates and reject them completely.[/quote]

for me all i want is to be able to use more video formats on the ps3 (rmvb, avi, mkv.......) then it would really be a multimedia console.

[quote name='smiggity']Lol soo funny I saw the message from Metaly and whipped around gun ready to fire. Then I heard MisterB crackin up and realized metaly wasnt even in game. Got me good!

But seriously it is just up to /6 to disable this feature somehow when playing Socom. For respawn shooters it really doesnt matter but no-respawn makes it a HUGE problem that should have been addressed before it was even released.[/QUOTE]

It really shouldn't be a problem. People can't type as fast as players should be moving, so unless you're camping I don't see the big deal.

[quote name='lokizz']for me all i want is to be able to use more video formats on the ps3 (rmvb, avi, mkv.......) then it would really be a multimedia console.[/quote]

I doubt any updates in the future will support any more video formats since they have the video store they want you to spend money on, the PSP still doesn't have the DivX support that the PS3 has.

I can't believe they haven't implemented a way to create folders for your friends. Is it really that hard to allow you to create folders to sort your friends list by Family, Friends, etc. or by game - Socom, GTA4, Warhawk, etc.

Trying out chat right now. I like how the chat room icon stays up if you lose connection to PSN. Nice touch. Not too bad but it needs polish.

- I'd like each chat room to open up it's own icon on the top level of the friends list instead of having to dig through a folder to get to them. Seems like an unecessary step.

- You should be able to access the XMB without backing out of the chatroom.

- I used to use IRC a lot and one of the features I always liked was the ability to add sound prompts if anyone said your username. Actually, that's a problem I have with the XMB in general. If I get a PSN message, I want to hear a beep. Better yet, make the DS3 vibrate, too.

- There's an awful lot of wasted space on screen. Add a list of usernames on the screen along with some moderation options, ie. change chat title, kick/ban.

Overall, not bad, though. What I'd eventually like is a BIG increase in chatroom size along with the ability to form an additional voice/party group from within.

[quote name='OatmealMu'] - There's an awful lot of wasted space on screen. Add a list of usernames on the screen along with some moderation options, ie. change chat title, kick/ban.[/quote]

My guess for the wasted space was to make it 4:3 compatible without having to be smart and have a different interface for 4:3 and 16:9

[quote name='joshr915']My guess for the wasted space was to make it 4:3 compatible without having to be smart and have a different interface for 4:3 and 16:9[/QUOTE]

Probably. Then again, with the small message length, I bet they could shrink the chat window a bit. Plus, they could fit a few more icons underneath the chatbox. Then again, I have no idea if it's cramped on a 4:3 screen.

EDIT: BTW, since the rooms are persistant and users can invite anyone on their friends list, we should throw up a few CAG chatrooms, ie. CAG 1, CAG 2, CAG 3, etc... I'm not sure who on my friends list is from CAG, so someone on here send me a friend request so we can set up a few chatrooms.

PSN: OatmealMu

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back