The Official PS3 System Update Thread - 3.10 Available Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, forget that last message. I used a random offline person on my friends list to get things going. :p

Who on here has a lot of CAG members on their friends list so we can get an invite chain going? I made CAG 1, CAG 2, and CAG 3. IIRC, that's the max you can join at once.

There's now a timer that lets you know how long your download will take if you download directly and not set it to background download.

That's the only somewhat useful thing in the update for me.

[quote name='zewone']It really shouldn't be a problem. People can't type as fast as players should be moving, so unless you're camping I don't see the big deal.[/quote]

It already happens with the laggy XMB. This will only accentuate the problem

I was streaming a movie from my PC when the update came last night. I did the update and right after I couldnt get my PS3 to stream any movies. I kept getting dlna error 2006's. I rebooted the PC and the PS3 and still nothing. I then also deleted the PS3 account from the PC share and readded it and still nothing. No idea what to do now. Ideas?

I switched to PS3 Media Server a few days before the update and just streamed some video not too long ago. What are you using? TVersity?

Using Windows Media Server via WMP 12. Looks like it might be my PC just by chance it happened at the same time. My 360 cant stream anything either. Grrr dono how to attack this one. It worked b4 but now nothing.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Yeah but Cheapest you're just one person who feels like that. Why should Sony cater to you instead of everyone else?

Also the DRE were rectifyed when the slimlines came out; the 360's still have RRoD and Error 74 regardless of how many revision they do, and they don't repair for free.[/quote]

If I remember correctly, the 360 has a 3 year warranty for JUST the RROD, though I don't know what the Error 74 is. From what I remember, those with the 360 who get the RROD get it shipped and repaired for FREE.

However, I feel that I'm not alone in at least wanting to be able to SKIP the updates if they serve NO purpose for me. I'm willing to bet there are more people who just want to be able to play their games without downloading some update that will serve no purpose to them other than to waste their f'n time.

Now if they fix security loopholes, then maybe they'd be useful, but otherwise the only things I want is in-game internet browsing and backwards compatability.

As for the slim PStwos fixing the DRE, I've STILL seen it occur in them(spend alot of time at a local game shop where they fix consoles), though one of the main causes of the DRE was a dirty laser. That's a problem that's easily fixed in the slim models, as you just have to pop the lid open and clean the laser without breaking the warranty seal anymore.

Dang, I think the update mess up my system or bluetooth or something. My controllers won't sync with my system now if they're not directly hooked up via USB. I have to check my headset but this is annoying, since it was first before and than I updated and now this. Hopefully it's just some kind of user error on my part.

Edit: Yay, it fixed itself. Weird. I had to restart the system a couple of times. And resync the controllers, though it wouldn't sync at all before.

20090403.jpg

found 2 things I have yet to be mentioned about the new firmware:

- When adding friends it now gives you a message about what to do to get friends (makes more sense if you try it)

- WHen inviting someone from a game it's less annoying... Instead of how it use to be an alpabetical list of names on ur list, either online or offline, it now has online people on top and offline at the bottom.

[quote name='Richlough']EDIT *** Also, it now displays the remaining time left for a download .[/quote]

I must say I do like this little feature.

I'm finally DL'ing the 304MB R2 patch and it's telling me about 40 min total DL time. :p

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']- WHen inviting someone from a game it's less annoying... Instead of how it use to be an alpabetical list of names on ur list, either online or offline, it now has online people on top and offline at the bottom.[/quote]
It's always been like that for me ever since I got my PS3 way back near launch.

The only difference for me now is the offline people are sorted by time last online instead of alphabetical, so it helps me weed out those who are rarely on PSN anymore.

I wish they had more substance to there updates. While it may improve playability of some games when I turn it on nothing on the surface has changed and there aren't any new features.

Damn I keep on getting errors every time I try to download it. It says, about halfway through, that I couldn't establish a connection with the server. Any idea whats up?

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Damn I keep on getting errors every time I try to download it. It says, about halfway through, that I couldn't establish a connection with the server. Any idea whats up?[/QUOTE]

Same (and all of these people here). Servers must be overloaded.

[quote name='smiggity']Peopl;e say comparing trophies is almost instantaneous now[/QUOTE]

Awesome.. too bad I spent about 30 minutes doing this over the weekend :D

Age of Booty early release of corrupted trophies. If any of you guys are checking trophies today, compare with me and let me know what % of Socom trophies I have. On my system its at 63%, im sure you guys will see ~30% I havent been able to sync with server or anything in months.

This problem pales in comparison to the password-glitch. I feel like I have it easy with this

[quote name='smiggity']Age of Booty early release of corrupted trophies. If any of you guys are checking trophies today, compare with me and let me know what % of Socom trophies I have. On my system its at 63%, im sure you guys will see ~30% I havent been able to sync with server or anything in months.

This problem pales in comparison to the password-glitch. I feel like I have it easy with this[/QUOTE]

It says 63% on my system for SOCOM for you.

So, what does this bullshit update ad? Something totally fuckin' useless(to me), as usual, I bet.

Anyone know? If it adds the ability to put off updating the firmware until you're ready to and still allows you to get on PSN after you cancel updating, then it's a godsend and I'll be happy.

But if it's another happy horseshit picture program or program icon or some other garbage/crap, then I'm glad my PS3 is at Sony's repair center right now.

Which reminds me, once I get my PS3 back from Sony I'm gonna have to take a good 3-5 hours to download all of the FW updates again I guess. Plus, anytime I go to play a game that has a patch(or six), I'm gonna have to wait and have THAT shit updated too.

Oh joy. I guess I'm not gonna be playing LBP or GTAIV for a while then.

[quote name='metaly']Was the password glitch the problem you were having around when Wipeout came out? Seems like you have all the luck.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Gotta love it. I guess as long as my games work I can overlook it.

[quote name='js1']It says 63% on my system for SOCOM for you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Looks like they are updating somehow, but whenever I try to sync with server I get an error message after a ridiculously long wait. It also takes ~2 minutes for my own profile card to show any trophies.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So, what does this bullshit update ad? Something totally fuckin' useless(to me), as usual, I bet.

Anyone know? If it adds the ability to put off updating the firmware until you're ready to and still allows you to get on PSN after you cancel updating, then it's a godsend and I'll be happy.

But if it's another happy horseshit picture program or program icon or some other garbage/crap, then I'm glad my PS3 is at Sony's repair center right now.

Which reminds me, once I get my PS3 back from Sony I'm gonna have to take a good 3-5 hours to download all of the FW updates again I guess. Plus, anytime I go to play a game that has a patch(or six), I'm gonna have to wait and have THAT shit updated too.

Oh joy. I guess I'm not gonna be playing LBP or GTAIV for a while then.[/QUOTE]

I must say, my favorite thing about this firmware thread is your incessant whining.

When you get your PS3 back, there will only be 1 firmware update to do. Why don't you just put it on a flash drive and install it from there instead of complaining about how long it takes to download to your PS3?

As far as game patches, I'm pretty sure the 360 has those as well. It's just something we're going to have to live with going forward for console games.

[quote name='collven']I must say, my favorite thing about this firmware thread is your incessant whining.

When you get your PS3 back, there will only be 1 firmware update to do. Why don't you just put it on a flash drive and install it from there instead of complaining about how long it takes to download to your PS3?

As far as game patches, I'm pretty sure the 360 has those as well. It's just something we're going to have to live with going forward for console games.[/QUOTE]

Until lazy devs stop putting out buggy pieces of shit and calling them finished games, we're going to need patches to fix issues(or when people wanna compare e-peens with 'trophies' on games without them originally).

If Sony puts out a FW update that allows me to delay downloading FW updates until it's convenient for me and allows me to continue playing on PSN without having the new update or they release software BC for non-BC PS3's, then I might stop bitching about the FW updates.

Till then though, these things take forever and provide nothing in the way of useful shit. Well, except for maybe that text chat one, that function IS kinda good. Now if they can make it so I can surf to Gamefaqs or another site while playing a game if I'm stuck WITHOUT exiting the game, that'd be ANOTHER useful item.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='smiggity']You can stop "requesting" to play with an older FW version online. Its not gonna happen nor should it[/QUOTE]

Why not? If it's just useless shit, why should I have to waste valuable gaming time downloading the pieces of crap? If the PS3 is an overglorified computer, then why can't Sony install a miniscule update that'll allow me to forgo the udpate(s) until I WANNA DOWNLOAD THEM?

[quote name='collven']I must say, my favorite thing about this firmware thread is your incessant whining.

As far as game patches, I'm pretty sure the 360 has those as well. It's just something we're going to have to live with going forward for console games.[/QUOTE]

Except on the 360 they take 5 seconds. I'd be amazed if the PS3 game updates did that.

wow, glad I clicked on this thread thinking maybe there was info on a new update. Instead a bunch of 360 fans arguing. thanks for the waste of time bots

[quote name='shadowkast']wow, glad I clicked on this thread thinking maybe there was info on a new update. Instead a bunch of 360 fans arguing. thanks for the waste of time bots[/QUOTE]

I am NOT a bot. Note the PSN name? I just feel these things SHOULD be optional.

I've been meaning to ask this. I've been having this very minute problem.

So there's a click sound whenever someone scrolls through icons. This can be turned off or on. In my case, whenever I don't scroll for 5 seconds or more, I don't hear the click until 1-2 icon scrolls later. This only happens on my optical cable setup after the 2.7 series of patches. This problem doesn't arise with HDMI connected. Question is, anyone else experience this glitch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back