The Official Sonic and the Secret Rings Thread (Out Now!)

Well, just got the credits to roll. The boss battles are great and frustrating in a normal Sonic sort of way. Though, that's greatly diminished by no life count and infinite restarts. ;)

Still more to do even in the main game, aside from mission left undone. Great game--if you're on the fence give it a rent and play through a few worlds until you start to really "power up." A lot of what I thought was "control problems" to start was really purposefully done so that the later upgrades could make things better and smoother.

[quote name='daroga']Well, just got the credits to roll. The boss battles are great and frustrating in a normal Sonic sort of way. Though, that's greatly diminished by no life count and infinite restarts. ;)

Still more to do even in the main game, aside from mission left undone. Great game--if you're on the fence give it a rent and play through a few worlds until you start to really "power up." A lot of what I thought was "control problems" to start was really purposefully done so that the later upgrades could make things better and smoother.[/QUOTE]

Did you play this non-stop OR is it a short game? :(

[quote name='lilboo']Did you play this non-stop OR is it a short game? :([/quote]I think my ingame timer is at about 7:30, only some of which at the start felt like I was putzing around.

There's a ton of missions I've never touched, I've only gotten medals on like 1/2 of them, and all but 2 or 3 of those are bronze. There's something akin to the Chaos Emeralds from other Sonic games in this one, of which I only have 5 out of 7.

In other words, I really did the bare minimum to see the credits. Like racing games and platformers, there's as much or as little here as you want. There's a lot of meat here left untouched--a lot of it not even accessible to me yet.

[quote name='daroga']I think my ingame timer is at about 7:30, only some of which at the start felt like I was putzing around.

There's a ton of missions I've never touched, I've only gotten medals on like 1/2 of them, and all but 2 or 3 of those are bronze. There's something akin to the Chaos Emeralds from other Sonic games in this one, of which I only have 5 out of 7.

In other words, I really did the bare minimum to see the credits. Like racing games and platformers, there's as much or as little here as you want. There's a lot of meat here left untouched--a lot of it not even accessible to me yet.[/QUOTE]

Very nice. Well you filthy whore, I think you got me to buy this game sometime this week. Thanks alot! *both sarcastic and angry* lol :p

[quote name='lilboo']Very nice. Well you filthy whore, I think you got me to buy this game sometime this week. Thanks alot! *both sarcastic and angry* lol :p[/quote]hehe, enjoy it! ;)

Glad to see its a good game Daroga, but I think I may hold off right now because Crackdown is keeping me busy (I had to get crackdown at launch for the beta)

But I will def. pick up Sonic down the road soon.

I got it yesterday and I agree with daroga's review (and I gave you a trust thumbs up! :p). It's a fun game and it only gets better as you get upgrades.

[quote name='SpazX']I got it yesterday and I agree with daroga's review (and I gave you a trust thumbs up! :p). It's a fun game and it only gets better as you get upgrades.[/quote]Glad you're enjoying it! As I said, it's certainly not perfect, but I hope next year we'll see a coninuation of this style in a new Sonic game, polished and refined. The end of the game certainly leaves itself open for more Sonic-only games, without his gaggle of companions.

I just picked this game up at BB with the $10 off a $49.99 title. I don't usually like to pay $49.99 for any game, but for $39.99 I suggest everyone pick this game up. I just started playing it and it's the most fun I've had playing a Sonic game since Sonic 2 for the Sega Genesis. It's also one of the best looking games I've seen for the Wii, possibly the best at this point. I'd definitely give it at least an 8/10 overall.

[quote name='sonicfreak5']well my brother traded in Elebits and Rampage to get this game
ill give it a chance since its a sonic game[/QUOTE]

You, like Sonic? NO! I wouldn't have guessed it with your name, avatar, and gamer picture. :)

So far I'm somewhat enjoying its. Frustrating at times though.

Like the review said "On paper the idea sounds pretty bad," and that was my first impression. But it's been getting such a good response I'll pick it up. I'm finally excited that I'm gonna play a good Sonic game.

How about the mini games, any opinion on them yet? Is like a Mario party kinda thing?

Got the game on Friday, and just got to play a little of it today...

I have to say that while dying is getting a little annoying, that I'm having a good time overall. Its an interesting take on Sonic, and I love thrusting the Remote forward to attack and boost. I hope it just gets better and better.

Oh, and I hate all the popup "You've unlocked..." messages. Especially when there are more than 2 of them. So repetitive.

[quote name='hack']Got the game on Friday, and just got to play a little of it today...

I have to say that while dying is getting a little annoying, that I'm having a good time overall. Its an interesting take on Sonic, and I love thrusting the Remote forward to attack and boost. I hope it just gets better and better.

Oh, and I hate all the popup "You've unlocked..." messages. Especially when there are more than 2 of them. So repetitive.[/quote]

Ugh, I hate that too! Especially the Sitar sound that accompanies it. Still a fun game though.

Well I played upto the second get to the goal level and did that mission. Let me say, the game is pretty good, but I only have one real problem with the game. I don't know if it is only the first two levels, but the game seems very on rails for me. What I mean is when playing there really isn't much varitey in the paths I choose to get to the goal, it is here follow this path and then maybe go this other route for a time, but then again I only played the first two levels. I mean in the classic genesis games when you took a upper or lower path you could stay there the whole level.

I must say the mission system is pretty cool and I do like the whole exp thing (but then again I haven't gotten that far with it to see what goodies we get).

Overall it is pretty fun so far and if I had to rate it, I would give it about a 8-8.5 but that is because it is so on rails from what I played of it.

I still want a game that takes the Sonic part of Sonic Adventure for the DC and expands it to make a kickass game.

I'm gonna go to BB to get this today..for $30 thanks to a giftcard + coupon. Plus I hit $468 at Atlantic City last nite, so it's ok :) /brag

[quote name='lilboo']I'm gonna go to BB to get this today..for $30 thanks to a giftcard + coupon. Plus I hit $468 at Atlantic City last nite, so it's ok :) /brag[/quote]As your resident Sonic hype machine, can I have some money? ;)

[quote name='daroga']As your resident Sonic hype machine, can I have some money? ;)[/QUOTE]

You took my money already!! :p (mmm, can't wait for the mico to come! /off topic)

Well I just got back in from Best Buy. We got into a car accident because some lady came darting out of Target like a lunatic (she must of had a NICE sale!) and we hit her right in her tire and messsssed her tire UP!! Luckily, no one was hurt. I got a bit whiplash, but meh. Officer put fault on her (which she admitted to, good for her)

Long story short: I wound up picking up this game, as well as Crackdown..and even Sonic Rush for the DS! It was the last one in the store, and I had a ton of coupons..(I got Sonic, Sonic Rush, and Crackdown for $100!..erm, $107 ..hate tax)

Now after all that trouble, these 3 games better be awesome! (heard great things about Sonic Rush)

[quote name='lilboo']You took my money already!! :p (mmm, can't wait for the mico to come! /off topic)

Well I just got back in from Best Buy. We got into a car accident because some lady came darting out of Target like a lunatic (she must of had a NICE sale!) and we hit her right in her tire and messsssed her tire UP!! Luckily, no one was hurt. I got a bit whiplash, but meh. Officer put fault on her (which she admitted to, good for her)

Long story short: I wound up picking up this game, as well as Crackdown..and even Sonic Rush for the DS! It was the last one in the store, and I had a ton of coupons..(I got Sonic, Sonic Rush, and Crackdown for $100!..erm, $107 ..hate tax)

Now after all that trouble, these 3 games better be awesome! (heard great things about Sonic Rush)[/quote]Nice work! Sonic Rush is indeed awesome. I just replayed the whole game this month, and probably enjoyed it more than I did when I first played it. I think if there weren't some repeat bosses, it could actually challenge Sonic 2 as my favorite Sonic game ever.

Crackdown is a load of fun too. If you feel like playing on Live, let me know. I'll load up one of my month cards and we'll play in the sand box. ;)

Well I just played the first few missions of this game (basically the training, and the first level of the ACTUAL game)

...This game is really good. Ok maybe not OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But like everyone else said: It's pretty fun!

I'm excited! I love Sonic, and am depressed that all his games have sucked lately :(

I played the multiplayer with 2 other people. It's ok. It doesn't suck, but it's not great. I think this will hold me over until Mario Party 8 comes out :)

Overall, I'm pretty happy how this game is and can't wait to get further!

Just wanted to say that I picked up the game today because of some of your opinions on here.

Played the single-player mission for 1 hour, and I absolutely LOVE it so far. Just played a couple of the Sand Oasis levels, and I'm really pleased with the game so far. Can't wait to see how the game progresses.

I rented it this weekend and I'm digging it, and I actually stopped a couple from buying Sonic for 360 last month at a Circuit City

Blockbuster got 4 rental copies of this game (most of any other Wii game is two, 1 copy for most though) and all were gone. Hopefully one will show up this week so I can use my free rental coupon.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Just picked this up for 34 dollars at Buy.com with GoogleCheckout.

Looking forward to playing it.[/quote]
Thanks for the heads up on the price at buy.com. I ordered one also.

[quote name='mrodger']Thanks for the heads up on the price at buy.com. I ordered one also.[/quote]

Awesome! Glad to see you got in on the deal as well. I credit the OP in the deals forum, I just happened to check and saw the thread. From what I've read here and reviews I've seen it's an easy 35 dollar buy. 50, not so much, for me anyway.

Sweet - GR came through for me and I got the game today! My son played a few levels and got very frustrated until I figured out some of the controls (the jump/thrust thing to get over large gaps had him screaming for a bit ;)).

He really liked the first "real" level though (the sand one). He couldn't make it through the next one and that's where he stopped for the night. From what I've seen of the first sand one, though, that's some nice-looking graphics.

With all my running around at Best Buy the last 2 days I'm behind on work and have no time to play now :cry:.

[quote name='hupp']
the hedgehog and metroid should stick with 2d
[/quote]

Oh yeah, because Metroid Prime was so wretched awful :roll:.
Personally, having played that first before any 2D Metroid I can't stand the 2D stuff, but that's just me ;).

ive rented the game from gamefly and i enjoyed the game up to the third world. Its not that i don't like the game up to the third world, its just that i gonna return in time to get ssx blur when its released :lol:

from the two worlds ive played, i've already had a lot of frustrating times but was mainly caused by the new style of controls. missions are a nice touch and me being a sucker for japanese voiceovers, thats a great addition as well. Overall an great sonic game, which makes up for the blunder of the sonic games on the 360 and ps3

[quote name='io']
Oh yeah, because Metroid Prime was so wretched awful :roll:.
Personally, having played that first before any 2D Metroid I can't stand the 2D stuff, but that's just me ;).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, order played definitely matters.

Super Metroid is my all time favorite game. I liked MP, but not near on the level of the 2D games. MP2 I thought sucked and didn't finish.

Any parents comments on this? I saw io's response but am not sure how old his kids are. My son is 5 and pretty decent with the wii. He beat the spongebob game and wario ware himself. But anything that involves tricky controls with the wiimote tend to frustrate him. This is the main reason I've hesitated to buy it, even though he has been bugging me about it for a while.

I just got this in from gamefly. Its ok. I don't think that people would be talking about it nearly as much if it wasn't a Sonic game. There's a lot of repetitive gameplay, and way too much trial and error. Its incredibly annoying to be crusing through a level, and then die because you didn't know you needed to jump earlier so the damn lock on would have time to lock on. The jumping is also really inaccurate, that probably bugged me the most. I'm enjoying it, because its Sonic, and the good parts are pretty good. Just glad I don't have to keep it.

Just finished the game, and while the end was corny beyond compare, I have to say that I really enjoyed the entire game. The ending was corny, but nice.

The sheer feeling of speed is absolutely crazy, so much so that I feel out of control (which is probably really the case, depending on how you look at it).

Its also a sweet looking game. The Erazor models are the most next-gen thing I've seen on the Wii so far (not that the Wii isn't capable or something).

Plus, there is still a lot more to do. Unlock the extras, the other levels, get gold medals, and level up like crazy. Oh and as stupid as the lyrics are, I love the music, especially the Night Palace track.

Now back to playing...

[quote name='daminion']Any parents comments on this? I saw io's response but am not sure how old his kids are. My son is 5 and pretty decent with the wii. He beat the spongebob game and wario ware himself. But anything that involves tricky controls with the wiimote tend to frustrate him. This is the main reason I've hesitated to buy it, even though he has been bugging me about it for a while.[/QUOTE]

My son is 7. We have been too busy since that first night to play it again, but I'd say it is a bit trickier than Wario only in that you need to do combos of things (tilt controller, push jump button, thrust controller). Then there's the brake button, etc... So definitely harder to control than WarioWare. But if your son beat WarioWare all by himself (mine needed a bit of help at cetain parts) then maybe he'll be OK with it.

I have to admit, I certainly wouldn't have bought this for $50 cash (or even $40 at Best But w/coupon), and wouldn't have even bought it for $50 at Gamerush (where it costs me less due to trade-ins) if it wasn't for the fact that my store is closing. What I would have done is use a free Coke Rewards rental and then pick it up again when it hits $20. That's what I'm doing with Excite Truck (already rented) and probably SSX Blur as well.

Botticus - my local BB had 4 copies for rent as well, pretty amazing. Even stupid GR which is not renting past the 11th of March (due to the store closure) got 4 copies :roll:.

360/ps3 sonic OVER the wii version? I havent played either...but you're the first person whos said that lol

I just like the Sonic games a lot :p

And besides half the Silver levels and the parts where you control Tails I liked the 360/PS3 game.

[quote name='whoknows']Wow, Sonic moves really slow in this game...so far I definitely prefer the PS3/360 game.[/quote]He does start out at a pretty leisurely pace. He, and the levels, get faster as you go though.

bread's done
Back