The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='stoned99']No Monster Madness or Juarez for me. I'm getting a little tired of the selfish little bastards who clear out a title from every fucking store in a 30 mile radius. I think I will call the GR/BB DM myself to get you banned if this greedy BS continues.[/quote]
Do it! :lol:

I don't believe half the crap he posts anymore though. Not naming any name but we all know who you talking about. Io must be stopped! :hot:

[quote name='V-G']Whoever said they got 133 for 2 MM and 1 BW lied. I only got 127 for 2 BW and 2 MM.[/quote]
Probably ment 2 of each since your 127 + tax gets you to about the same number. Some states give tax credit some dont.

Wow, massive flipping here...yikes. I may have to try and find a few Monster Madness...maybe 1 or 2 (not 23). I want Red Steel even....heck, I may even kep that for $8.

Side note....anyone know what Madden 08 (360) and PGR3 trade for?

[quote name='stoned99']No Monster Madness or Juarez for me. I'm getting a little tired of the selfish little bastards who clear out a title from every fucking store in a 30 mile radius. I think I will call the GR/BB DM myself to get you banned if this greedy BS continues.[/QUOTE]

Ironic...a flipper complaining how other flippers are elbowing him out of the game. You should do it, but then again, it will kill the deal for you also.

I went back tonite to try and get rid of 2 copies of MM and 2 copies of Beowulf. The guy took my licensce then said he couldn't do the trade because i had tried to trade in games earlier today. I told him the computer was down and he said the manager said I couldn't trade in any games.

Yay! I scored last 2 copies Monster Madness (360) at Sears (Independence, MO) for $3.79 plus taxes & trade-in both of them at GR for $28.XX plus taxes. I love GR :)

I got signed up under my mom's account (you CAN trade under another persons account- when you sign a trade agreement there is an option to add people to your trade account, but make sure they add you). They almost didn't add me, but I made sure. My store is also doing the $5 bonus giftcard for buying a $50 giftcard (which can be purchased with a value card, woot!)

Okay, I broke down my flip into cost/kunai below. I found out my store is giving the $5 giftcards when buying $50 in giftcards. So I applied that to my breakdown.

Cost:
23 Monster Madness
13 Red Steel
3 Call of Juarez
=$273 (includes gas)

Kunai:
23 Monster Madness $770.50
13 Red Steel $208
3 Call of Juarez $60
= $1038.50 in valuecards

Then, buying giftcards:
20 x $50 giftcards = $1000
20 x $5 bonus giftcards = $100
$38.50 remaining credit
= $1138.50 in blockbuster giftcards

417% return from kunai'ing. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Of course, this is assuming no pricedrops for those 3 on Tuesday morning.

[quote name='djkunai']I got signed up under my mom's account (you CAN trade under another persons account- when you sign a trade agreement there is an option to add people to your trade account, but make sure they add you). They almost didn't add me, but I made sure. My store is also doing the $5 bonus giftcard for buying a $50 giftcard (which can be purchased with a value card, woot!)

Okay, I broke down my flip into cost/kunai below. I found out my store is giving the $5 giftcards when buying $50 in giftcards. So I applied that to my breakdown.

Cost:
23 Monster Madness
13 Red Steel
3 Call of Juarez
=$273 (includes gas)

Kunai:
13 Red Steel $208
3 Call of Juarez $60
= $1038.50 in valuecards

Then, buying giftcards:
$38.50 remaining credit

417% return from kunai'ing. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Of course, this is assuming no pricedrops for those 3 on Tuesday morning.[/QUOTE]
The funny thing is that none of my local BB/GR will not let you use store credit on a Value Card to buy Gift Cards nor on my account.

[quote name='cdeener']The funny thing is that none of my local BB/GR will let you use store credit on a Value Card to buy Gift Cards nor on my account.[/quote]

That's not funny. That's not funny at all... :cry:

[quote name='cdeener']The funny thing is that none of my local BB/GR will let you use store credit on a Value Card to buy Gift Cards nor on my account.[/QUOTE]

yeah when they were running the add $5 bonus for giftcards last year or so none let me do it either with credit =(

[quote name='dohmai']yeah when they were running the add $5 bonus for giftcards last year or so none let me do it either with credit =([/QUOTE]
djkunai proves once again that us old timers to GR/BB don't have the advantages he has when it comes to trade-ins. I've told you time and time again that we know how to stay under the radar but you my friend just are asking for trouble.

Not to sound mean, but if you get stuck with $1100+ in store credit at BB, this may go down as thread of the year. :D

Of course, I kid. I'll feel for you.

Although my Sears PM was a miserable experience, the fact that I left BB with more than $20 in store credit, a free popcorn, and two free rentals (Ratatouille and Ocean's Thirteen) made today worthwhile.

There may be some possible Wii game flipping to be had, all of these are $15 each (2 for $30) at Circuit City this week :

Dragonball Z Budokai: Tenkaichi 2
Driver: Parallel Lines
Elebits
Happy Feet
Kororinpa: Marble Mania
Madden NFL 2007
Metal Slug Anthology
Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07

Happy Feet is the only one listed in the Wiki ($23) so its not really worth turning $30 into $46, but maybe one of those other titles is a hidden $35 gem, if anyone wants to check trade prices.

[quote name='djkunai']I got signed up under my mom's account (you CAN trade under another persons account- when you sign a trade agreement there is an option to add people to your trade account, but make sure they add you). They almost didn't add me, but I made sure. My store is also doing the $5 bonus giftcard for buying a $50 giftcard (which can be purchased with a value card, woot!)

Cost:
23 Monster Madness
13 Red Steel
3 Call of Juarez
=$273 (includes gas)

Kunai:
13 Red Steel $208
3 Call of Juarez $60
= $1038.50 in valuecards

Then, buying giftcards:
$38.50 remaining credit

417% return from kunai'ing. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Of course, this is assuming no pricedrops for those 3 on Tuesday morning.[/QUOTE]

You forgot to factor time and gas, both of which are expensive and something many do not have much of.

Keep it up though I want to be amazed since you raised the flipping bar to an all-time high or low (depends who you are).

Not married or have a GF I take it. If not, you should get one to do double damage flipping. :)

[quote name='unforeseen']You forgot to factor time and gas, both of which are expensive and something many do not have much of.

Keep it up though I want to be amazed since you raised the flipping bar to an all-time high or low (depends who you are).

Not married or have a GF I take it. If not, you should get one to do double damage flipping. :)[/quote]

No, gas was factored in. My time is my own, and I feel it was well spent. And yes I do have my name on my gf's account.

highly YMMV on getting the bonus $5 on the giftcards. They should allow you to buy giftcards in other demoninations if you need to split your value card into "gifts" so just ask the counter jockey if he or she could do it, and if need be, explain why you need x many $5/25/50/100 cards for your family, etc. Good luck with the extra $5 bonus cards.

So what is the word on the amazon cards? I will check tomorrow when I try to kunai a few monster madness (xbx360) for 28.50. My goal is to trade all my BB/GR credit to amazon credit for tax free, free shipping purchases via amazon.

Cost:
23 Monster Madness
13 Red Steel
3 Call of Juarez
=$273 (includes gas)

Kunai:
13 Red Steel $208
3 Call of Juarez $60
= $1038.50 in valuecards

Then, buying giftcards:
$38.50 remaining credit

You are not supposed to be able to buy gift card with gift cards. But there are always stupid employees.

And if you came in to do this on my shift, I would glady deny you the trade put your account on hold and report it to loss preventions. I've got no problem with a person flipping a couple of different games. But that kind of crap runs stores out of business. Ever wonder why Gamerush doesn't do trade in deals anymore?

[quote name='Sulik2']You are not supposed to be able to buy gift card with gift cards. But there are always stupid employees.

And if you came in to do this on my shift, I would glady deny you the trade put your account on hold and report it to loss preventions. I've got no problem with a person flipping a couple of different games. But that kind of crap runs stores out of business. Ever wonder why Gamerush doesn't do trade in deals anymore?[/QUOTE]

LOL! I can just see his mom getting arrested (since its under her account)... and then the start of an "anti-flipping" campaign with a mugshot captioned by something like: My son got cought flipping games at Gamerush, and look where it got me. It could do for flipping what Reefer Madness did for pot!:twoguns:

There's nothing shady about trading in 23 copies of the same game at a store. That's not asking for trouble at all. So you're trading in these under your mom's account? You still need the employee to let you trade in 23 copies of the same game. If this actually works out as you planned, consider yourself one of the luckiest people on CAG.

*edit*
Also, if this starts a chain-banning of used copies traded into blockbusters, or drastically lowers the trade in price, you're pretty much stabbing us all in the back and running off with everything.

I coudln't get any places near me to price match Monster Madness (BB and Sears). Of course TRU doesn't have any so I couldn't PM there, not even sure if they do.

I just want one so I can get my total from 36 to 64. That would be one whole game right there...sigh

[quote name='unforeseen']Ironic...a flipper complaining how other flippers are elbowing him out of the game. You should do it, but then again, it will kill the deal for you also.[/QUOTE]

While I would not go that far as to call management and report someone, it really is annoying and I know how he feels. I think this type of greed is downright contemptible. Some of us just want a copy or two to flip for the extra coin for triple AAA games, but we can't get one stinkin' copy of a game in many cases because some greedy twit bought 40 copies at 8am and cleaned out every store in a 30 mile radius. We flip games obviously because of the trade-in-value we get for low priced games, but these people clearing out entire stores of their inventory, trading in 30 copies of the same game is the height of selfishness. Leave some for other people at least, sheesh. I think this kind of me first attitude goes against why CAG exists in the first place. Even more pathetic are these people posting about their exploits like it's a badge of honor. It's almost like they take pride in being a selfish prick. All of us are capable of doing the same thing, it's just that some of us are not that selfish and have self control. It's like a career for some people to scour town for the sole purpose of flipping.

[quote name='vicious7171']There's nothing shady about trading in 23 copies of the same game at a store. That's not asking for trouble at all. So you're trading in these under your mom's account? You still need the employee to let you trade in 23 copies of the same game. If this actually works out as you planned, consider yourself one of the luckiest people on CAG.

*edit*
Also, if this starts a chain-banning of used copies traded into blockbusters, or drastically lowers the trade in price, you're pretty much stabbing us all in the back and running off with everything.[/QUOTE]

Well, he does do it to the extreme, but I really don't think he implied he was trading them all in to the same store. I think, anyway, that he is spreading them around. Still, it does seem to be excessive ;).

I struck out at Best Buy, but it actually worked out for the best. First of all, I got $20 on a gift card from Best Buy because I bought my daughter's ipod there and, luckily, saw that promo on the ad when I walked in (I don't get Best Buy ads in my paper for some reason so I had no idea beforehand of this promo). They did it all without my receipt (or the ipod) - just looked it up, returned/repurchased, handed me my card. Nice. However, they then denied the price match of the CC games because CC was closed (they called and it said they were closed). Well, I knew at 9pm they weren't closed. So I hauled myself up there the extra 10 miles preparing to be disappointed. Lo and behold, 4 copies of Monster Madness locked in the case, no indication of being on sale! I'm amazed after a full day Sunday (it was in the ad, after all) that they were still there. But that just shows you what proper labelling means for sale items ;). Anyways, 4 copies is about all I can handle - that's 1 to 4 different stores (hopefully the one GOOD Gamecrazy and 3 Blockbusters). That be enough for me - like I said before, the driving around is just getting to me. I'm too old for this kind of thing :lol:.

Note that I was composing this as atane posted - not trying to brag about my exploits :oops:. Just saying I finally had a bit of luck (finding MM at CC at 9pm Sunday) after getting denied on those Gamecrazy trade-ins the other day. So that was nice. And, actually, I'm only trading in 3 copies - I totally forgot I actually want to keep a copy of it too!

all the blockbusters here have the $5 giftcard thing, but it specifically says on the sign that value cards and account credit cannot be used to purchase giftcards. uninformed employees allowing this is highly ymmv. one bb actually put my trade in credit on a giftcard, but i didn't get any extra $5 applied. is it something they need to manually adjust or is it automatic?

[quote name='atane']While I would not go that far as to call management and report someone, it really is annoying and I know how he feels. I think this type of greed is downright contemptible. Some of us just want a copy or two to flip for the extra coin for triple AAA games, but we can't get one stinkin' copy of a game in many cases because some greedy twit bought 40 copies at 8am and cleaned out every store in a 30 mile radius. We flip games obviously because of the trade-in-value we get for low priced games, but these people clearing out entire stores of their inventory, trading in 30 copies of the same game is the height of selfishness. Leave some for other people at least, sheesh. I think this kind of me first attitude goes against why CAG exists in the first place. Even more pathetic are these people posting about their exploits like it's a badge of honor. It's almost like they take pride in being a selfish prick. All of us are capable of doing the same thing, it's just that some of us are not that selfish and have self control. It's like a career for some people to scour town for the sole purpose of flipping.[/QUOTE]

I get what you mean. Djkunai is an exception, he is hardcore and I do not have a problem with what he does at all. If he is willing to do the hard work then good for him. But 30 copies of one game is definitely greedy and he may get banned sooner rather than later for his efforts.

I think there were several people that cleared out the CC around stoned99. Remember, there are SD and FW lurkers around here that would love to jump on the gravy train.
For example, just the last flipping opportunity, a person or persons cleared out all the Beowolfs in the IE (inland empire, CA). Did I mind? Of course I did but there will be more opportunities down the road, like MM. Luckily, I bought 2 early in the morning when everyone else was fighting over the Wii.

30 copies? More power to you (wish I was that inspired)

I bought 3 MM today at CC, along with a Call Of Juarez (which I actually want to play believe it or not) Traded 2 into a local GR for Unreal Tournament III & then price matched at GC for a used Eternal Sonata. Also bought my wife a $99 Zune as well, so all and all good times ;)

Id feel like an ass if I bought up 30 copies of a game im all for fliping but why go the extra mile leave some scraps atleast especialy if theres that many to be had.
my opinon only

I do leave games for other CAGs (abductedvision, djrage) and we hook each other up when we can, too. If anyone's in the San Fernando Valley, I'm more than willing to split, but as far as I know there are very few *serious* CAGs in the area. If I am screwing any of you over, let me know and I'll spread the wealth.

[quote name='pcktlnt']I coudln't get any places near me to price match Monster Madness (BB and Sears). Of course TRU doesn't have any so I couldn't PM there, not even sure if they do.

I just want one so I can get my total from 36 to 64. That would be one whole game right there...sigh[/quote]

Try purchasing it from CC and showing Sears or BB the receipt. That's what it took for me to get the PM from sears. I then returned the CC copy.

[quote name='unforeseen']Ironic...a flipper complaining how other flippers are elbowing him out of the game. You should do it, but then again, it will kill the deal for you also.[/quote]

Just to address your point, the one thing I do not do, is buy all the copies from a store. I may trade more than one copy of a game over the life of a deal, but I only buy 1 or 2 copies at a time from any particular GS / BB.

Here was my lesson learned, trying to pickup a few extra copies.

I got the sunday paper to get the circular on saturday and took it to sears to price match Circuit city ahead of time. They wouldn't do it (annoying), so I purchased a couple of copies at full price since I was already there to price match the next day.

So Sunday Morning I go to Circuit City and purchase the last two copies of Monster Madness; Then I go to Sears to Price Match immediately afterward; forgetting that store policy is to call and check stock at the competitors nearest location first.

Naturally, since I just purchased the last two copies at circuit city first ; They didn't have any when Sears gave them a call.

SO ANYWAY - so I ended up returning my games for full store credit at Sears and left empty handed. I still had a couple of copies from my local circuit city so it wasn't a total loss

Naturally I realize that not every employee/manager is going to follow store policy and call the competitor - nonetheless thats what I ran into.

Oh well.

Has anyone had any luck finding a blockbuster with the states amazon giftcards? Ive called around and it seems no one even knows what im talking about :( go figure, lol.

(on a side note, i wish Blockbusters carried new PSP's for sale.)

So i bought 10 total, and have traded in 6 so far (3 a day), ive calculated that after my investment (less then 5$ just about, with price matches), its a 245$ profit. I just dont know what to do with all that store credit, if no BB's will sell me an amazon giftcard :( Is there anyway to check that aside from calling each one?

Well , I'm just waiting to see what happens with Gamestop tomorrow.

Tomorrow is the beginning of the Extra 30% Store Credit Coupon sale, but the question is what Halo 3 is going to trade in at.

If it remains at *$35.00 +30% Coupon + 10% Edge, then I'll buy some copies from Blockbuster with my credit and trade them into my local Gamestop to have credit at a store that actually has a decent selection. No Gamerush in my area.

As for the amazon card - they had no idea what I was talking about.

[quote name='reicaden']Has anyone had any luck finding a blockbuster with the states amazon giftcards? Ive called around and it seems no one even knows what im talking about :( go figure, lol.

(on a side note, i wish Blockbusters carried new PSP's for sale.)

So i bought 10 total, and have traded in 6 so far (3 a day), ive calculated that after my investment (less then 5$ just about, with price matches), its a 245$ profit. I just dont know what to do with all that store credit, if no BB's will sell me an amazon giftcard :( Is there anyway to check that aside from calling each one?[/QUOTE]

No gamerush in the area?

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']its a trap! Trade values dropped a day early - $16 for red steel, 15 for Monstrr madness but they wouldn't take it, and 15 for juarez![/quote]

Seriously?!!?

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']its a trap! Trade values dropped a day early - $16 for red steel, 15 for Monstrr madness but they wouldn't take it, and 15 for juarez![/quote]
??? for real i've got 2 copies of MM i am about to go trade on my way to work.. I was to lazy last night and I don't like to trade more than one copy at a time in anymore since I trade shit so often.. If it's true that sucks but oh well I can't really complain since I only paid $56 for $220ish credit or 190 if the prices dropped.. oh well i'm still happy with b1g2 free games now just gotta hope Halo 3 price doesn't drop so we can move our $ over to GS. ;)

Did they say why they wouldn't take MM?

If Djkunai really did pick up all those games and spend his sunday PMing and etc then he's crying all over his pile of now half value Monster Madness. I found a picture of his kitchen he posted in another thread:

lol

[quote name='$hady']If Djkunai really did pick up all those games and spend his sunday PMing and etc then he's crying all over his pile of now half value Monster Madness. I found a picture of his kitchen he posted in another thread:

lol[/QUOTE]

That looks like a big pile of CC clearance games from a few years ago.

Just called my local BB/GR and they said $28.50 for MM.... so maybe the store Slim Gatsby went to just got wise to the situation or something.

Just called a couple BBs and it looks like the values have stuck. Perhaps you just went to a franchise location Slim.

Edit: mk, you got in right while I was calling.

Just traded in Beowulf about an hour ago it still holding at $36 but had to talk to the manager since they said the buy back value was higher than the retail value. Basically complained till they gave me the credit.

Also ask about MM its still $28.50

I wanted to post something about everybody getting on Kunai. Yes it is a bit greedy/extreme what he has posted having done, however if you are in his area and really have a problem with it you should ask him to spare a few copies for you, as it is apparent he leaves some for other CAGs who communicate with him. It is far better that he at least posts and is not a lurker you will never see or hear from, who can therefore buy out as many games as they want without taking any crap from other CAGs. I live in the Charlotte area and it appears to me that few if any CAGs around have been flipping, so therefore I take what I want. If someone contacts me wanting to work with me and go to different stores that would be fine, but so far no one has. On the other argument that this is why blockbuster will go out of business/stop taking gametrades/quit having deals: No one person, especially someone who spreads out the trade-ins over a few stores is going to really affect blockbuster's overall corporate policy. Even 2000 dollars is really a drop in the bucket for such a huge corporation. What really will affect blockbuster's policy is hundreds of active CAGs and lurkers flipping games all across the country 2 or more at a time. What kunai is doing affects nothing more than 10 more active flippers joining CAG.

Just called for some quotes.

xbx360
monster madness holds at 28.50
call of juarez down to 15.00

wii
red steel down to 16.00

I thought juarez was at $20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back