The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='sasukekun']Just kunaied 5x :ps3: Beowulf. Ended up with $180 split over 3 gift/value cards. Still have to kunai 3 more copies. Will end up with $288 in gift/value cards once I trade these 8. And still need about 4 more copies to get my 40g PS3 :D

Hopefully I can find some more :ps3: Beowulfs but I cleaned out Riverside, and both Moreno Valley CA BestBuys.[/quote]

If you come down to Orange County, don't try the Fullerton Best Buy; cleaned out;).

[quote name='jkircos']Ok since everyone is trading in crap like crazy, can someone find out how much they will give for a PSP fat and a Xbox 360?[/quote]

There was an issue with Blockbuster obtaining the pawn shop license for taking in things with serial numbers. No stores around me take consoles (or accessories, but that's another issue).

How are people getting beowulf at GS for 17.99 vice 19.99, I bought 3 copies of each XBX360 and PS3, so I might go back for a price adjust, return rebuy using the coupon when I decide to kunai 9 more PS3 copies... lol. Damn GS didnt even mention the 30% coupon nor the discount on beowulf for 17.99. Such uninformed workers, hehe.

If u live closed BB in Independence, MO & Lees Summit, MO cos i cleared all Beowulf (PS3) version on both locations. I trade-in 4 copies today $155.12 after taxes. I'll trade-in 2 copies left tomorrow and hope the trade-in price is now SHRINK :) Yay! New PSP Slim will be mine tomorrow :)

Hehe, I wonder if Best Buy corporate is going to wonder why sales of this game have been so good. I bet they attribute it to the $40 price drop ;).

[quote name='nakanenui']How are people getting beowulf at GS for 17.99 vice 19.99, I bought 3 copies of each XBX360 and PS3, so I might go back for a price adjust, return rebuy using the coupon when I decide to kunai 9 more PS3 copies... lol. Damn GS didnt even mention the 30% coupon nor the discount on beowulf for 17.99. Such uninformed workers, hehe.[/quote]

Used vs New.

Ya, I cleaned out the 3 bestbuys near me, I might have to buy 4 more copies at $17/19, instead of the $9.99.

Will spend an extra $40 but still gets me a 40G PS3 for about $175 vs $130. Still a great deal though.

[quote name='edavis0780']I know this borders on highly immoral but one can theoretically continue to flip between GS and GR/BB almost infintely. Of course, this can only last as long as the extra 30% coupon (which means tomorrow).

1.Start at Best Buy and buy some Beowulf's for $10.
2.Kunai Beowulfs GR/BB and purchase Halo 3.
3.Trade Halo 3s to GS and purchase either Beowulf, Darkness, Hour of Victory, or Madden 06.
4.Kunai those games to GR/BB and repeat by purchasing Halo 3.

Another limiting factor would also be the amount of Halo 3 available.

I've managed to Kunai 6 copies of Beowulf today, and hope to Kunai 3 more tomorrow which should leave me with about $340 in GS credit (after Halo 3 flip). The question that's really bugging is whether I should sit contently with my more valuable GS credit or convert it back into more (but less valuable) GR/BB credit. Theoretically, if I used $340 in GS credit to buy a ton of Beowulfs (assuming I could both find that many and Kunai the game again to local GR/BBs), I would end up with $612 in GR/BB credit.
Decisions, decisions, decisions.:whistle2:k

*I also forgot to mention that such a flip would basically turn $94 into $612, a more than %600 increase. This is quite possibly the most exploitable flip since the days of trade 3 get any used for $5.[/quote]

How much is Halo3 in Blockbuster?

looks like i'm a have to hop on the beowulf flip but here are some trade in values for the wiki

Rainbow Six: Vegas: $18
Crackdown: $15
NBA 2K7: $8

All 360 titles

Since I work at Blockbuster, I've been hesitant to hop on the flip train, but this was too good to pass up.

4x Beowolf at Best Buy = $40 + tax (using $10 off coupons)
Traded into various Blockbusters= $36 x 4= $144
Bought 4x Halo 3= $45 - 20% employee discount - 10% discount (employee appreciation week)= $31.67 x 4= $126.68
Traded 3x Halo 3 to GS= $147 credit

overall I spent $40 for:
$147 in GS credit
$17 BB credit
Halo 3 (will trade tomorrow)

1st of all, I would like to thank the people of this thread/forum for informing me of this amazing deal. (Rock Band+360 Pro+Halo 3+2 Gold DSes for under $300!)

2nd of all, of the 4 GRs we went to today, 3 flat out refused to accept Beowulf trade-ins, (2 of those we had never even been to) it's starting to look like the gravy train is leaving the station, here. Not that I mind, we pretty much bought out every BB of their PS3 Beowulf stock.

[quote name='Torch']2nd of all, of the 4 GRs we went to today, 3 flat out refused to accept Beowulf trade-ins, (2 of those we had never even been to) it's starting to look like the gravy train is leaving the station, here. Not that I mind, we pretty much bought out every BB of their PS3 Beowulf stock.[/quote]

Where are you located?

[quote name='io']Hehe, I wonder if Best Buy corporate is going to wonder why sales of this game have been so good. I bet they attribute it to the $40 price drop ;).[/QUOTE]

Well, if GR BB no longer take Beowulf & BB corporate will suprise lots BEOWULF return :)

[quote name='Masterkyo']Well, if GR BB no longer take Beowulf & BB corporate will suprise lots BEOWULF return :)[/quote]

I'm going to be honest- I understand what you say only half the time.

[quote name='TMNT770']what do i say when i hand them 5 dollars movie ticket that comes with beowulf?[/quote]

"Here."

[quote name='TMNT770']what do i say when i hand them 5 dollars movie ticket that comes with beowulf?[/quote]

"Hi" usually works. Perhaps you could throw in a "how's it going" too?

[quote name='TMNT770']they gonna ask me whats this and what 2 do with it[/quote]

It should tell them everything they need to know right on it. If not, just tell them it was in a game you bought and it said it was $5 off a movie ticket. Seems pretty self explanatory.

Apparently my account got frozen at some point today. o_O

Oh well...I already have my 360, some games, $150 worth of points and Live cards, and credit to spare.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Apparently my account got frozen at some point today. o_O

Oh well...I already have my 360, some games, $150 worth of points and Live cards, and credit to spare.[/QUOTE]
How did you find out? Went to the store and couldnt trade-in at all?

[quote name='sasukekun']How did you find out? Went to the store and couldnt trade-in at all?[/quote]

Tried to trade in, "Uh, I don't know how to do trade ins..." *click click click* "Uh, did you trade at another store today? Apparently your account was frozen."

I ran into a friend of mine at BestBuy and told him about it, and gave him my spare PS3 coupons (that BB caps all sales at 3 of a product per person). He must have gone to BlockBluster right after me and done something stupid. :roll:

At least he works at GC and will definitely PM the BB trade-in price for me there.

Well, back to Gamerush to return Mass Effect and buy Halo 3's tomorrow. Then to GS, and then back to GR to rebuy Mass Effect later in the day, along with COD 4. $hady, I left one copy of PS3 Beowulf at BB. I took one, and left one for you. I almost took both when I remembered you got in on the buy 5 used games for $25, then reconsidered. I figured I would spread the wealth, lol.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Tried to trade in, "Uh, I don't know how to do trade ins..." *click click click* "Uh, did you trade at another store today? Apparently your account was frozen."

I ran into a friend of mine at BestBuy and told him about it, and gave him my spare PS3 coupons (that BB caps all sales at 3 of a product per person). He must have gone to BlockBluster right after me and done something stupid. :roll:

At least he works at GC and will definitely PM the BB trade-in price for me there.[/QUOTE]
That sucks, I'm trying to rack up credit ASAP so I can get my PS3 and be done with this kunaiing ;)

fuck you

[quote name='TMNT770']they gonna ask me whats this and what 2 do with it[/quote]
Tell um it's none of their damn business!

Thanks for posting I literally LOL.

[quote name='Bretts31344']Well, back to Gamerush to return Mass Effect and buy Halo 3's tomorrow. Then to GS, and then back to GR to rebuy Mass Effect later in the day, along with COD 4. $hady, I left one copy of PS3 Beowulf at BB. I took one, and left one for you. I almost took both when I remembered you got in on the buy 5 used games for $25, then reconsidered. I figured I would spread the wealth, lol.[/quote]

HAHA sweet but you should have grabbed both though since I probably would have... I'm not used to sharing GR flip stuff. I don't think the other local CAGs are hip to the scene or at least none of them post. Hope it's still there I was planning on going yesterday but never got around to it. I'm gonna stop in early this morning though and try to grab $10 Beowulf while I pick up some cdrs.

Oh yea and if you looking to flip back to GS as of tuesday GR on Turfway had at least 2 more copies of Halo 3 after I picked up my 2 copies. Also bought the the impossible to find Wii Zapper there for my boy at work. Last one they had though....

[quote name='$hady']HAHA sweet but you should have grabbed both though since I probably would have... I'm not used to sharing GR flip stuff. I don't think the other local CAGs are hip to the scene or at least none of them post. Hope it's still there I was planning on going yesterday but never got around to it. I'm gonna stop in early this morning though and try to grab $10 Beowulf while I pick up some cdrs.

Oh yea and if you looking to flip back to GS as of tuesday GR on Turfway had at least 2 more copies of Halo 3 after I picked up my 2 copies. Also bought the the impossible to find Wii Zapper there for my boy at work. Last one they had though....[/quote]

The one in Union had one Wii Zapper, but I probably will pick that up tomorrow. Thanks for the other info.

[quote name='$hady']Oh yea and if you looking to kunai back to GS as of tuesday GR on Turfway had at least 2 more copies of Halo 3 after I picked up my 2 copies.[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

[quote name='edavis0780']If you come down to Orange County, don't try the Fullerton Best Buy; cleaned out;).[/QUOTE]
You dirty, dirty, dirty bastard.

[quote name='sasukekun']Ya, I cleaned out the 3 bestbuys near me, I might have to buy 4 more copies at $17/19, instead of the $9.99.

Will spend an extra $40 but still gets me a 40G PS3 for about $175 vs $130. Still a great deal though.[/QUOTE]

Damn you, could of saved one or two for the rest of us in the IE.

[quote name='unforeseen']Damn you, could of saved one or two for the rest of us in the IE.[/QUOTE]
Sorry, but I wanna get my PS3 ASAP. The Riverside one had at least one copy left since they wouldnt let me buy more than 3 copies. I havent touched Corona store and probably wont. But I'll probably pick up my last 3 copies at Gamestop.

But I had success using the $10 off ps3 title coupon.

Hmm, I wonder what happened with Slim Gatsby's transaction...

I've always been cautious about flipping, IE, flipping only when its different cashiers, never 2 identical games at one time and especially 1 per store, even at a GR.

I will try two tomorrow, hopefully they don't get anal about it since I did read their sign and it says "two". Strange how it was only posted at this one GR out of the two GR and 6 BBs.

[quote name='sasukekun']Sorry, but I wanna get my PS3 ASAP. The Riverside one had at least one copy left since they wouldnt let me buy more than 3 copies. I havent touched Corona store and probably wont. But I'll probably pick up my last 3 copies at Gamestop.

But I had success using the $10 off ps3 title coupon.[/QUOTE]

Don't sweat it. There will be others. Plus, I do not want to be banned from GR. Moderation is the key.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']
Went to GameCrazy across the street, and...

UPDATE: According to one of my friends who works at GC, a letter went out from corporate, at least DISTRICT, possibly CHAIN-WIDE that all stores must match trade-in prices.

Got $44 for a PS3 Beo and a Madden '06 @ GC.
[/QUOTE]

Must not be chain-wide because I went to a GC Weds night that I don't do much trading at and got shot down for the price match (in fact, I think a CAG works there and may have been the one to turn me down - he didn't know it was me obviously, not that it would matter ;)).

They said they don't match trade-in prices, and especially not for that game because it only sells new for $19.99. So, which is it guys? You don't price match or didn't want to in this case? However, they DID tell me they price match sale ads like a Best Buy ad. This is wierd because the GC I normally go to USED to do that as a pilot program and recently stopped doing it. They have always matched trade-in prices though.

Then the GC guys got dumber and told me Gamestop matches trade-in prices so I should try there. Yeah, right :roll:...

Anyway, I just took the 360 and PS3 Beowulf's to the Blockbuster right down the street from them and it worked out better anyway as they had no less than FIFTEEN copies of Halo 3! So I got my $71 and then bought 2 Halos for $90, but it was hilarious - the guy pulled out a stack of discs just one on top of the other and I was able to extract 2 obviously unused discs. They said they got 15 for rent and only 3 ever got rented out. In fact, I may go back there after again next week and buy one for myself (since I've never played a Halo before). Basically getting a mint complete copy with an untouched manual for $45 in BB credit is not a bad deal. I'm really hoping for some sort of used game sale first though - I may hold off for that as those copies aren't going anywhere. It is too bad we didn't have a Buy 2 Get 1 free going on with used games at Blockbuster during all this ;).

Then I went up the road to the mall with 2 EB/GS stores in it and traded both of those Halo 3's in (1 at each store). So, anyway, instead of $71 of Gamecrazy credit I ended up getting $98 in EB credit (after pitching in the difference of $19 in BB credit to buy the Halo 3's after the Beowulf trades) which is better anyway.

I also bought 2 more 360 Beowulf's from EB and 2 PS3 copies from Best Buy. So now I have 2 more sets to get rid of this weekend, hopefully. I know one store I can take them to but will have to find another for the second set - somewhere I haven't traded at in a long time would be best.

[quote name='Masterkyo']Well, if GR BB no longer take Beowulf & BB corporate will suprise lots BEOWULF return :)[/QUOTE]

Translation: If Gamerush/Blockbuster stores no longer take Beowulf in for trade, then BEST BUY corporate will be surprised with a lot of PS3 Beowulf returns in short order.

I think that's what he was saying. I'm assuming it was in response to what I said earlier about Best Buy corporate probably being shocked at the huge amount of Beowulf they've moved over the last few days. So maybe that's why I understood him ;).

Got 5 more PS3 Beowulf's at Best Buy.
The fine gent at the register even put 2 on the same receipt with two coupons.
Will have to make some rounds this morning to start dumping these.
Also noticed they have War Tech for PS3 for 9.99, would they be free with the $10 coupon or not valid?

Does anybody have an updated quote for Call of Juarez for 360? The wiki value is from September. Would be good to know since it'll be $8 at CC on Sunday.

Monster Madness and Red Steel will be $8 also, but I can't imagine those would be worth it..... although, seems like I saw a stupid-high price on a copy of Monster Madness at GR recently.

You guys suck... too bad I got region banned for nothing a while back. I mean I tried to trade in my second PS3 darkness and got shot down (its buried in this thread).

I am going to be picking up a PS3 and would love to have grabbed Drakes Fortune on the cheap with flipping.

Oh well, I better just stay out of this thread to not get myself upset.

Good luck everyone.

I will have to try and get some beowulfs at Best Buy....maybe tomorrow. I have just been way too busy the past two weeks to really take advantage...only 1 copy traded thus far....1 lousy copy ;)

Hope BB doesn't ban the Beowulf trades. Planning on getting in on the action today, but have to stop home to print off a Best Buy coupon (can't get to the image website here at work :( ).

Interesting that Best Buy allows multiple buys using 10 dollar off coupon. I cut them out and chopped off the bottom under the expiration as kunai suggested earlier and had no problem buying four and two at different best buys in one transaction. However idk how well it would work if the cashier had to read fine print if I had included it. Also of note was the fact that my coupons didn't scan. They had to manually ender the SKU number on each one, which was harrowing for me because I worried they would turn me down and the transactions took so long. Anyway thanks for this info kunai or whoever started it; I'm saving up to eventually buy a Wii from GS (even if I can't get one before xmas).

Just back from Blockbuster, got rid of beowulf again, have 4 to drop around town later.
Got a DS Lite and 2 mint copies of used Halo 3.
Cost 70 Beowulf dollars.
Both Halo 3's headed to different Gamestop(s) today with the 30 % extra coupon.
Going to trade in my Old PSP and Halo 3 credit earned for a new model.

May try for a third Halo 3( i have 3 gamestops around), using the last one to trade for more beowulf.

Call of Juarez trades for $15
Monster Madness (X360) trades for (drumroll please)...... 28.50.

Have fun shopping at CC on Sunday gents.

[quote name='grecianfox']Call of Juarez trades for $15
Monster Madness (X360) trades for (drumroll please)...... 28.50.

Have fun shopping at CC on Sunday gents.[/QUOTE]

Damn, that Monster Madness trade value is hot. No coupon needed or anything.... and like 300% return. Nice.

Also, keep in mind you can take the CC ad over to BB for a price match and get Reward Zone points (double points if you've selected that option and shop before 11am).

[quote name='mkernan']Damn, that Monster Madness trade value is hot. No coupon needed or anything.... and like 300% return. Nice.[/QUOTE]

BTW, pricegrabber has a $5 mail-in rebate on Monster Madness, so if you send in the copy of the receipt and UPC and write a review of it, you can even get $5 back via mail.

Only one per person, only the first 25 that request the rebate form get it.

(Call of Jaurez has a $5 pricegrabber MIR too)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back