The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='Sulik2']Actually, price changes go into affect on Sundays. Promotions and new programs go into affect on Tuesdays.[/QUOTE]

Which means they can easily alter the prices tomorrow - heh

[quote name='cdeener']You have to have the coupon because they have to staple it to the receipt they keep. You can't use it until Tuesday anyway because it says that is good from 12/18 to 12/20.[/quote]
When does GS drop trade-in values? Dont tell me I bought 2 Halo 3's for nothing :cry:

Just go to your local library, get online, and get yourself a printout copy of that coupon. It'll probably cost you 50 cents or a dollar, but it'd be worth it. :)

[quote name='monkeydeew']did any of you guys trade in those 5$ gun from bb on black friday?[/quote]

Yeah I got 12.

[quote name='io']I had been leaving that to djkunai to update, but, well, you know he's too busy now for that ;). [/quote]

I have my priorities...

[quote name='Hair6a11']Which means they can easily alter the prices tomorrow - heh[/quote]
Blockbuster/Gamerush update their systems of trade in values on Tuesdays.
Have Sunday and Monday to move as much Monster madness and Beowulf(if any left at this point) before potential price drops.

[quote name='Sulik2']Actually, price changes go into affect on Sundays. Promotions and new programs go into affect on Tuesdays.[/QUOTE]
Hm, I thought price changes/promos changed on Tuesdays.

Was gonna do some MM/Beo kunaiing Sunday and finally get my PS3 :D

[quote name='Sulik2']Actually, price changes go into affect on Sundays. Promotions and new programs go into affect on Tuesdays.[/quote]

That hasn't been my experience as a customer. If it goes into effect on Sundays, then they must not enforce it until Tuesdays.

[quote name='elmyra']That hasn't been my experience as a customer. If it goes into effect on Sundays, then they must not enforce it until Tuesdays.[/quote]
Price changes usually are on Sunday, but more importantly to "kunailers"(someone who 'kunai's) TRADE values change on tuesday.

[quote name='sasukekun']Hm, I thought price changes/promos changed on Tuesdays.

Was gonna do some MM/Beo kunaiing Sunday and finally get my PS3 :D[/QUOTE]
I think he was referring to Gamestop adjusting trade-in's on Sunday's because people mentioned flipping Halo 3 back to them with the 30% coupon.

BB/GR update everything on Tuesday's (because that's new release day for DVD's, that's when their system updates). Gamestop/EB is Sunday.

[quote name='stone1061']Price changes usually are on Sunday, but more importantly to "kunailers"(someone who 'kunai's) TRADE values change on tuesday.[/quote]
Oh, okay. I assumed that "price changes" referred to trade prices, not sale prices. :oops:

I don't have a CC anywhere near me so I am wondering if anyone knows if Monster Madness will be $7.99 online as well? And what time the "sale" would start tomorrow. Since I am sure I would have to buy it right away to avoid it selling it out. Thanks for any help.

[quote name='noone13']I don't have a CC anywhere near me so I am wondering if anyone knows if Monster Madness will be $7.99 online as well? And what time the "sale" would start tomorrow. Since I am sure I would have to buy it right away to avoid it selling it out. Thanks for any help.[/quote]

It should be. No idea the time. If you dont have a CC near you, you can pricematch at Walmart for $7.99, or get it for even cheaper at Best Buy or Sears.

[quote name='noone13']I don't have a CC anywhere near me so I am wondering if anyone knows if Monster Madness will be $7.99 online as well? And what time the "sale" would start tomorrow. Since I am sure I would have to buy it right away to avoid it selling it out. Thanks for any help.[/QUOTE]

If you're going to flip it at BB that won't work out, they'll probably lower the trade in value before you get the game. Anyway, it should be around 12-3am EST time but I'm really not sure when exactly they update their site.

Just traded in a fair amount of games at GR, while driving there I stopped by GS and picked up Beowulf for the quick $16 bonus I'd get. The rest of my trade-ins were clearance items from Kmart.

Some prices from the CAG-wiki haven't changed, but I'll list what I got in case someone wants to update the others.

WII Red Steel $16
360 Top Spin 2 $8
360 Monster Madness $28.50
360 Star Trek $12
360 Moto GP 06 $8
360 Phantasy Star Universe $12
360 Chromehounds $8
360 Gun $12
360 Kameo $8
NDS Mega Man ZX $8
PSP Puzzle Quest $10
PS3 Beowulf $36

$166.50 total

All in all, I made over a $50 profit, not bad considering I originally bought all those games to play, and once the realization hit that I didn't have time for everything, it was an easy and effective way to clear some of my backlog.

[quote name='freshzen']If you're going to flip it at BB that won't work out, they'll probably lower the trade in value before you get the game. Anyway, it should be around 12-3am EST time but I'm really not sure when exactly they update their site.[/quote]
Blockbuster has been slow in dropping the trade in values. This is the second week of Beowulf holding at $36 trade when retail is $19.99 everywhere.
I'd bet some store credit that Monster Madness will hold at least until next tuesday(12/25).

[quote name='stone1061']Blockbuster has been slow in dropping the trade in values. This is the second week of Beowulf holding at $36 trade when retail is $19.99 everywhere.
I'd bet some store credit that Monster Madness will hold at least until next tuesday(12/25).[/quote]

Didn't EA for the PS3 hold for several weeks after it dropped to $19.99 new at most retailers?

BB does seem to be pretty slow updating their trade in prices. Worst case if you stock up on Monster Madness trade a few in before Tuesday then check the value. If it drops return your remaining copies to the store.

[quote name='Skelah']anyone know if target pricematches games? if so is it an easy task?[/quote]

No, they won't. Zero chance.

[quote name='Bezerker']It should be. No idea the time. If you dont have a CC near you, you can pricematch at Walmart for $7.99, or get it for even cheaper at Best Buy or Sears.[/quote]

Well since the is no CC near me the BB won't pricematch anything from them. The Wal Mart around here is the same way. So I guess I will just try to buy them online and hope the price holds, if not I will just return them to CC, I can do that right?

[quote name='noone13']Well since the is no CC near me the BB won't pricematch anything from them. The Wal Mart around here is the same way. So I guess I will just try to buy them online and hope the price holds, if not I will just return them to CC, I can do that right?[/quote]

Why don't you buy them online at CC and buy them at Walmart or BB (at regular price).

When your copies from CC come in, return those to either Walmart or BB with the appropriate receipt.

[quote name='h2dk']Why don't you buy them online at CC and buy them at Walmart or BB (at regular price).

When your copies from CC come in, return those to either Walmart or BB with the appropriate receipt.[/quote]

Lol I didnt think of that. Thanks man I will do it that way.

[quote name='KrayzieKMF']I picked up 3 copies of that monster madness game from bestbuy. Hopefully they'll price match a circuit city ad print out tomorrow.[/quote]

I had this question a few pages ago. Will BestBuy price match 3 copies? I don't want to buy the store out or anything, just wandered if they would let me get 2-3 copies (depends on their inventory).

If they dont let you pricematch 3 copies then take however many they'll PM and return the rest. Simple as that.

For Bretts and any local lurkers (FU local lurkers stay out of our territory lol) I just made the Monster Madness rounds in Florence and as of 6pm CC and BB are sold out but WM has many in the display case for PM purposes once the ad comes out. I'd go before CC opens so they have no way of calling and checking inventory. Hope you got some it's been posted a few days already so I don't feel bad for buying the last 3 at CC and last 1 at BB. BB I found it mixed up in a cart of crap that needed sorted and put back onto shelves. That plus i'm a whore. :D

Forgot to check both these at BB but CC had 5-6 copies of Call of Juarez and I noticed 1 Red Steel while looking for more Monster Madness. It's in the mini display case with games from multiple systems I didnt look anywhere else. I hate CC and there setup/employees suck ass.

Oh yea and the DEAL OF THE DAY! I found a sealed PS3 Beowulf.....in my glovebox! lol I picked it up at BB for $10 last week and it's been in my glove box long forgot ever since. :D

OK posting to confirm that Beowulf will change trade-in value by Tuesday so get those copies out of your hands before then! The selling price at GR will drop to 19.99 on Sunday so act quickly!

[quote name='JaysonR']OK posting to confirm that Beowulf will change trade-in value by Tuesday so get those copies out of your hands before then! The selling price at GR will drop to 19.99 on Sunday so act quickly![/quote]

How do you know it will change on Tuesday?

Because whenever the selling price drops, the trade-value drops as well to match.

Oh and one more thing, looks like monster madness trade value WILL HOLD for this upcoming week as well.

[quote name='Chitown021']How do you know it will change on Tuesday?[/quote]

He's got a crystal ball get your own!

Oh yea and I think he said he worked there or at least he plays an employee on the internet. Kinda like how i'm a pirate astronaunt... ;)

[quote name='noone13']I don't have a CC anywhere near me so I am wondering if anyone knows if Monster Madness will be $7.99 online as well? And what time the "sale" would start tomorrow. Since I am sure I would have to buy it right away to avoid it selling it out. Thanks for any help.[/QUOTE]
Normally, CC changes its sale prices for their ad around 3 a.m. Sunday morning so sometime around then.

[quote name='Chitown021']How do you know it will change on Tuesday?[/QUOTE]

It is common knowledge that when BB changes a sale price on Sunday that the trade value drops with the sale price that same day. So, at least by Tuesday the price nationally should be the lower value.

Plus, JaysonR works for BB so he knows what the score is before everybody else.

[quote name='JaysonR']Because whenever the selling price drops, the trade-value drops as well to match.

Oh and one more thing, looks like monster madness trade value WILL HOLD for this upcoming week as well.[/quote]

I don't like the fact that you say the sale price changes on sunday though. Maybe i'll go return my rental and trade in the Beowulf I found in my glovebox just to be safe. I'd hate to lose like $25-30 trade value just because I forgot. Yea yea I know trades always change on tuesday but this is an excuse not to watch my pitiful Bengals... Well not really since i'd be back in like 5 minutes.. :D

Here's an idea for Mr Kunai... If the 19.99 price does take effect tomorrow go in and use your GR credit to buy the 100 you traded in already. Pay and leave then walk right back in the door and say hello I have some games to trade and trade them all back in for $35/36 each. Comment on how much work you saving them since they are already priced. Repeat over and over untill they close. :lol:

That's what I was wondering... whether he was saying it would drop based on an educated guess or if he was someone or knew someone that worked on the "inside". I may try and nab a few copies of Monster Madness to trade in.

[quote name='$hady']If they dont let you pricematch 3 copies then take however many they'll PM and return the rest. Simple as that.

For Bretts and any local lurkers (FU local lurkers stay out of our territory lol) I just made the Monster Madness rounds in Florence and as of 6pm CC and BB are sold out but WM has many in the display case for PM purposes once the ad comes out. I'd go before CC opens so they have no way of calling and checking inventory. Hope you got some it's been posted a few days already so I don't feel bad for buying the last 3 at CC and last 1 at BB. BB I found it mixed up in a cart of crap that needed sorted and put back onto shelves. That plus i'm a whore. :D

Forgot to check both these at BB but CC had 5-6 copies of Call of Juarez and I noticed 1 Red Steel while looking for more Monster Madness. It's in the mini display case with games from multiple systems I didnt look anywhere else. I hate CC and there setup/employees suck ass.

Oh yea and the DEAL OF THE DAY! I found a sealed PS3 Beowulf.....in my glovebox! lol I picked it up at BB for $10 last week and it's been in my glove box long forgot ever since. :D[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I will try to hit up Sears sometime tomorrow if the weather isn't too bad (road conditions might prevent me from going). I would like to get a bit more credit at BB/GR. I can always buy hardware and sell it on ebay/craigslist, then buy the games I actually want with cash.

[quote name='Bretts31344']Thanks for the info. I will try to hit up Sears sometime tomorrow if the weather isn't too bad (road conditions might prevent me from going). I would like to get a bit more credit at BB/GR. I can always buy hardware and sell it on ebay/craigslist, then buy the games I actually want with cash.[/quote]

Yup I didn't touch Sears it wasn't worth the effort fighting the mall crowd tonight and again tomorrow going back for a PM! Sears is all yours and Walmart. ;)

Screw the snow/sleet just camp out at Best Buy tonight with all the desperate Wii shoppers! Then slide to the mall on your way home. :lol:

[quote name='$hady']
Oh yea and the DEAL OF THE DAY! I found a sealed PS3 Beowulf.....in my glovebox! lol I picked it up at BB for $10 last week and it's been in my glove box long forgot ever since. :D[/quote]

Just went out to driveway. Checked my glove box, no Beowulf's.
This should be highly YMMV :lol:

[quote name='stone1061']Just went out to driveway. Checked my glove box, no Beowulf's.
This should be highly YMMV :lol:[/quote]

Same here. Very YMMV! ;)

Good thing GC is taking my last Beowulfs!

I burned $25 in the movie cash on a fuckton of food at the movies going to see I Am Legend. Popcorn + soda + chicken fingers + mozz sticks + junior mints for $0.80. Nice byproduct of the flipping, IMHO.

There seems to be some confusion running around about what prices change when at Blockbuster. The SELLING price will change to 19.99 (new) for Beowolf on Sunday (whether it is tagged as such or not). The trade-in price will drop (no way to know what it'll change to) on TUESDAY. So do all your trading before closing time on Monday. And as for Monster Madness, just because the selling price on it isn't changing does NOT guarantee that the trade-in price will stay the same as well. It should stay the same, but I have seen a few instances where the trade-in price gets changed w/o a selling price change.

Hope that clears up some misunderstandings for the newbs.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Good thing GC is taking my last Beowulfs!

I burned $25 in the movie cash on a fuckton of food at the movies going to see I Am Legend. Popcorn + soda + chicken fingers + mozz sticks + junior mints for $0.80. Nice byproduct of the flipping, IMHO.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, what I'm worried about as a byproduct is weight gain from all the junk I'll feel compelled to buy since I'll probably only go see 1 or 2 movies before these expire - and I have 7 certificates to use :lol:. I guess if I take 2 kids (to see Golden Compass or something) then 2 kids packs will use up a big chunk of it...

[quote name='io']Yeah, what I'm worried about as a byproduct is weight gain from all the junk I'll feel compelled to buy since I'll probably only go see 1 or 2 movies before these expire - and I have 7 certificates to use :lol:. I guess if I take 2 kids (to see Golden Compass or something) then 2 kids packs will use up a big chunk of it...[/quote]

I'm treating my friends to junk food in January when we see Cloverfield. We usuall see movies in a big group (7 - 10 people) so it would be a way of compensating for the ticket prices at Arclight Sherman Oaks ($12.75 WTF!?).

Also, last time I checked when Fuzion Frenzy 2 and Shrek 3 on Sunday, there was a period of time where they were giving the selling price in credit (ie: $14.99 for Fuzion Frenzy 2) and this is the ONLY time I've ever seen this happen. On the following Tuesday the trade in price dropped to $8. With this knowledge, I'm willing to say Beowulf will drop in trade price to $14.99 on Sunday, and will remain so until Tuesday (when it will likely become $8).

so monster madness is supposed to stay at 28.50 til next week, but beowulf is droping in trade in value at block buster.

LOL sorry yall, I really should have said YMMV on a Beowulf PS3 in your gloveboxes! I am very sorry! :D

T3ntman people are just pulling shit out their asses regarding Beowulf it is currently $35/36 and Monster is $28.50. Price change day is tuesday since forever ago so dds are Beowulf will hold till at least then but again everyone gets their own opinion on the matter. :D

If this snow dies off by tomorrow, I'm going on a regional Blockbuster tour. Gonna cash in my CC and GS credit and boost my BB credit at all of the stores with 40 miles of here.

Definitely gonna call tomorrow to verify that Beowulf is still holding value.

Best Buy opens at 8am, Sears opens at 9. Blockbuster at 10. Looks like i'm going to be able to have some kind of domino effect going.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow, im headed to sleep now so I have enough energy to deal with all the people.

i just converted 350 dollars of GR/Blockbuster credit to Amazon credit! some Blockbusters are selling Amazon, TGI Friday, Borders gift cards now.

[quote name='mackaikai']i just converted 350 dollars of GR/Blockbuster credit to Amazon credit! some Blockbusters are selling Amazon, TGI Friday, Borders gift cards now.[/QUOTE]
Oh snap, definitely gonna check on the Amazon gift cards!

Which BB near you had Amazon gift cards?

/edit/
Also, where did you notice they sell amazon cards? at the front counter or did you ask them? Was it a regular BB or a Gamerush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back