The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='djkunai']It's true. I don't live in fear and I'm always ftw.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's great and all until you get banned :bomb:
It's also easy to say that when you get help from the GR manager to flip!

I didn't live in fear before either and I don't now 'cause none of this is all that important and I'm growing tired of this game anyway ;).

Having said that, DOA X2 still trades for $19.
I plan to take that and a MM to a Gamecrazy that verified to me they will match the trade-in prices. Screw Blockbuster.

I checked out computers today.

Forza still trades in for 32, yet is 34.99 used price. So hurry if you have Forza, basically means it will drop.

[quote name='Tecumseh!']As of 10am, EST, 12/26/07:

Hour of Victory (X360) - $32

:applause: :bouncy: :applause:[/QUOTE]

Hmm... that's odd. I just tried trading in Hour of Victory 360 today 12/26/2007 at around 5:00 PM PST and they wouldn't take it. He scanned the UPC code and then said they don't take that one. Didn't bother asking him why. Maybe I'll try again next time I'm in the store.

[quote name='djkunai']Well I just placed my order for 24 copies of Two Worlds through GameFly.

($32 + $5 bonus) x 24 = $888 credit (from $259.44)

I hope I'm home when the mail lady brings me 24 individual packages. :D[/quote]

Typical... And how may extra copies did I order..... 1

Kunai, I'm sorry but you're an ass!!

Can those of you who have seen Amazon Gift Cards in your BBGR speak up? I still haven't seen any of these and I regularly visit some pretty large stores.

[quote name='xDerekRx']I checked out computers today.

Forza still trades in for 32, yet is 34.99 used price. So hurry if you have Forza, basically means it will drop.[/QUOTE]

Forza 2 makes for a good flip. You can buy Forza 2/MUA packs at GS for $20. Also, with B2G1F, you can pick up 3 Forza 2/MUAs for $40 and get $120 credit at BB/GR.

[quote name='fullmetalfan720']Forza 2 makes for a good flip. You can buy Forza 2/MUA packs at GS for $20. Also, with B2G1F, you can pick up 3 Forza 2/MUAs for $40 and get $120 credit at BB/GR.[/quote]
Very nice post! Looks like i've found how i'm gonna spend my remaining GS credit assuming I can find enough of these $20 combos. :)

Madden 06 value = pick up a phone you lazy bastard how long you want to wait?

[quote name='stoned99']Typical... And how may extra copies did I order..... 1

Kunai, I'm sorry but you're an ass!![/quote]

It's okay I forgive you. ;)

[quote name='fullmetalfan720']Forza 2 makes for a good flip. You can buy Forza 2/MUA packs at GS for $20. Also, with B2G1F, you can pick up 3 Forza 2/MUAs for $40 and get $120 credit at BB/GR.[/QUOTE]

Woah.

Incredibly good flip.

[quote name='nlyonssmith']Can those of you who have seen Amazon Gift Cards in your BBGR speak up? I still haven't seen any of these and I regularly visit some pretty large stores.[/quote]

Seriously! I'd love to know too,... ive asked/called atleast 20 stores in the Sunrise/Ft. Lauderdale area, so far they all think im batshit loco. :(

I even had one guy ask me, like i was retarded: "Why would blockbuster sell gift cards for a competitor? are you serious?"

-_- I told him my "brother" in N. Carolina had seen them in a store...

he proceeded to very subtly tell me my "brother" is full of shit. :( lol

[quote name='djkunai']Well I just placed my order for 24 copies of Two Worlds through GameFly.

($32 + $5 bonus) x 24 = $888 credit (from $259.44)

I hope I'm home when the mail lady brings me 24 individual packages. :D[/quote]

I just dont understand what you DO with all this credit.... Hell, i made 300 from 50$ with monster madness, and i have no clue what to do with it. :(

[quote name='reicaden']I just dont understand what you DO with all this credit.... Hell, i made 300 from 50$ with monster madness, and i have no clue what to do with it. :([/quote]
Buy 2 DS lites and sell them for $120 each. I've had 30 replies from my Craigslist ads...

Also, this was a private message, but whatever:

[quote name='mackaikai'][quote name='djkunai']Hey which store had the amazon giftcards? Also, did you see them (or any other non-bb gc) at any other blockbusters?[/quote]
the one i got it from is in La Jolla, CA

i haven't check other ones =p[/quote]

There you go. Steal my giftcards.

[quote name='fullmetalfan720']Forza 2 makes for a good flip. You can buy Forza 2/MUA packs at GS for $20. Also, with B2G1F, you can pick up 3 Forza 2/MUAs for $40 and get $120 credit at BB/GR.[/quote]

Forza 2 and what packs? whats mua?

[quote name='Skelah']Forza 2 and what packs? whats mua?[/QUOTE]

It's Forza 2/Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Came with 360 bundle I guess. Saw a few forza 2's at GS but not a bundle. Not on coming up on the site either so dunno but if it was 20 that would be nice.

[quote name='xraytd']Hmm... that's odd. I just tried trading in Hour of Victory 360 today 12/26/2007 at around 5:00 PM PST and they wouldn't take it. He scanned the UPC code and then said they don't take that one. Didn't bother asking him why. Maybe I'll try again next time I'm in the store.[/QUOTE]

I stopped at a number of Blockbuster stores today and had one particular store reject one of my Madden '06 games (for 360). The employee stated that the computer had a note (probably originating from the store manager) that the game was not to be accepted in their store because they've already got too many. All the other Blockbuster stores were willing to take the game, though. . . so I suspect you need to take that HoV game to another BB.

By the way, today I got just enough credit to cover the cost of the PS3 system I've had my eye on for the past couple weeks. I think I got the last 60 gig (fully backward compatible) PS3 in my region, so I'm pretty much feeling exhilarated! I still will have another couple hundred dollars in credit once I finish trading in my last few "The Darkness" and "Madden '06" games (got them with the Gamestop 'Buy 2 get one free' deal). I'll soon be getting Resistance and Warhawk, as well as Motorstorm-- all of which will make owning a PS3 a great experience.

I kinda got brave on the last few stores I stopped in at and was handing over two Darkness games at a time. No one balked at it, and I usually said something about having more than one of the games because of a buy 2 deal at a gamestore in the area. Now I'm in the kunaiing club. ;)

Here are the values I'm getting at Blockbuster:

The Darkness: $32 (360), $33 (PS3)
Madden '06: $8

All in all, this was a great day.

Steve

Started out with $210 in GS credit and I now have almost $450 in BB/GR credit. Strangely, I didn't have any problems whatsoever trading in multiple copies of Darkness (both PS3 and 360) or Madden 06. I tried to vary the titles I brought in order to avoid suspicion. I usually brought one of each copy (Darkness-PS3/360, Hour of Victory, Madden 06) in order to add some variety. Actually, the only trouble I had today came from a rather ignorant GS store manager and a csr.

Specifically, the GS in Whitwood Center (Whittier, CA) would not let me purchase more than 2 copies of the same game (I had six copies of Darkness on 360 and three copies of Madden 06 on 360). They said that I would placing a serious dent on their selection. This, despite the fact that there were still ten or more copies of Darkness on the wall, and who the fuck actually buys Madden 06 anymore? I was also trying to purchase CoD2 for the 360, Pikmin on GC, and LoZWW for GC as well. The CSR informed me of this "corperate wide policy", and when I told him that I have purchased more than 2 copies of the same game at a one time from other stores, he offered a rebuttal by saying that they were breaking policy. Policy my fuck ing ass. He then places a call to his store manager who confirms the policy. Needless to say, I placed $132 (after B2G1 and EDGE) worth of merchandise on the counter and left. Did I forget to mention that this was after I had been waiting more than 20-30 minutes in line? Let's not forget all the CSRs who were floating around (a couple who saw the games I was purchasing, including multiple copies) and did not inform me of Whitwood Center GS's "corperate-wide policy".

In the end, I am fortunate enough to have numerous GS stores in close proximity so I did manage to get what I was looking for. As for that "corperate-wide policy", I purchased three copies of Darkness and Madden 06 at three other GSs with absolutely no problems whatsoever. So much being "corperate-wide". If by random chance, either that CSR or store manager happens to be reading this, I'm contacting whoever is your boss at GS corperate and complaining. For wasting my time and energy, you can kiss my fuck ing ass the next time I come in because I'm bringing every single reciept which shows that YES, you can purchase more than two copies of the same game at one time.:booty:

Wow, that was a really pathetic store manager you had there. The first Gamestop I went to this morning gave me no problems when I placed 10 Darkness games (plus a couple other games) on their counter. Later I found a Gamestop with Madden '06 out the wazoo and bought 6 of 'em without getting questioned.

By the way, the funds for all these purchases came from all the Halo 3's I brought over from Blockbuster last week-- my Edge card was up to $350 when I showed up this morning, and now it's down to about $50. Soon I will pick up more games to trade to Blockbuster with the remaining credit, but I'm going to lie low for a few days. . .

Steve

Well, I was able to trade in (1) DOAX2 and (1) MM for a total of $47.50 at a Gamecrazy and after nearly an hour wasn't able to take the credit with me (but should get it tomorrow - we'll see).

Here's the story:
1) First I called to make sure they price match and how they do it (ie, call the store) since I didn't have a recent trade slip from Blockbuster. They say yes - so far so good.
2) I went in and the guy I talked to is there - again, good! So I ask him to check on those 2 games plus Forza 2. He calls Blockbuster and is put on hold and disconnected twice (I repeat - screw Blockbuster!). Finally someone talks to him and tells him she's too busy to look up prices and he'd have to come in to see what they are :lol:. Wonderful...
3) He looks up another store and in less than a minute has all the expected quotes for BB trade-in values ($19, $28.50, $32). At this point I was very pleased with this GC dude as he was on the ball - it went downhill from there though...
4) So next he calls his manager because those prices are so high (once again, I asked, just to myself this time, "either you have a trade-in price match policy or you don't - WTF!?").
5) After about 5 minutes on the phone they decide the first 2 are OK (barely) but that they can only give me $22.50 for Forza instead of $32, so I kept that.
6) So he processes the trade and tries to put it on my GC gift card. Apparently he does this as a new gift card and not a reload even though I took it out of my wallet in front of him and asked if he could put it on there (he was too busy trying to sell me preorders I guess :bomb:).
7) This results in an error that he spends 15 minutes trying to fix.
8) Finally he gives up and calls the GC gift card customer service number. After 15 minutes on hold he is told he needs to call another number.
9) After 15 minutes on hold AGAIN, he is told he needs to call back in the AM. So he writes down my card number and claims he will fix it in the morning. I can't wait to NOT hear anything from him (I asked him to call when he was done - not expecting to hear anything).

Meanwhile I had my 3 kids with me and they were getting anxious (hungry, had to use the bathroom, etc). We missed being able to go to dinner where we wanted because this took at least 45 minutes longer than it should have. And we had to use the gross bathroom at the Safeway next door to GC.

Was all of this worth it to turn $15.50 into $47 in GC credit (that I don't have and may never get)? Oh, I also drove 20 minutes out of the way to get to this store... So all in all, it was probably not worth it.

Anyway, I updated the wiki with the current Blockbuster trade-in prices from the last few pages. The amount of heavy-duty credit building is starting to become a bit ridiculous here though. In the olden days we only did this to build up credit for our own games ;). You darn kids and your darn loud music and flippin!

I'd been ignoring this thread for ages because there's not GRs near me. Then I peck around a bit and find out that my local Blockbusters do in fact take trade-ins at these prices. God I love CAG.

[quote name='kevlar51']I'd been ignoring this thread for ages because there's not GRs near me. Then I peck around a bit and find out that my local Blockbusters do in fact take trade-ins at these prices. God I love CAG.[/quote]

QFT^. same thing happened to me. I can't believe some things I have missed like the $8 Monster Madness game and etc...

I checked with my local BB/GR store and Forza 2 is still going for $32 trade-in.

But, a word of warning, the manager (who usually gives me the scoop) said a message was sent out systemwide to no longer take the "pack-in" version of Forza 2 so don't be surprised if you get shot down without the full version cover art.

BTW, I really lucked out at a Gamestop store where they were giving away the Forza 2/MUA pack-ins with certain pre-orders. As a somewhat regular at their store, they just handed me one when I asked (expecting to pay $19.99 used or whatever it is)!

[quote name='awp']I checked with my local BB/GR store and Forza 2 is still going for $32 trade-in.

But, a word of warning, the manager (who usually gives me the scoop) said a message was sent out systemwide to no longer take the "pack-in" version of Forza 2 so don't be surprised if you get shot down without the full version cover art.

BTW, I really lucked out at a Gamestop store where they were giving away the Forza 2/MUA pack-ins with certain pre-orders. As a somewhat regular at their store, they just handed me one when I asked (expecting to pay $19.99 used or whatever it is)![/quote]

are you serious? That doesn't make any sense. I would gladly give the $5 for a pre-order (regardless of game) just to take the pack-in.

Well, I printed out cover art for Forza 2...so hopefully that flies. I'll just say my daughter destroyed the original cover art....should work as long as the UPC scans, which it should.

Also, anyone ever trade in WARHAWK? Curious if I can trade it in as the case says No for Retail Sale....or something like that.

Well it felt kinda weird paying full price for a game but I went to GR today and picked up Super Mario Galaxy. In real dollars I actually paid about $10 for it thanks to Sears PMing and MM for the 360.

[quote name='pogipinoy27']are you serious? That doesn't make any sense. I would gladly give the $5 for a pre-order (regardless of game) just to take the pack-in.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was kind of suprised too. I don't know the whole story so I might not be accurate in what exactly they were giving it out with and I think it was just this one store that was doing it.

Oh well, I'm not going to question it. :)

[quote name='Chitown021']Well it felt kinda weird paying full price for a game but I went to GR today and picked up Super Mario Galaxy. In real dollars I actually paid about $10 for it thanks to Sears PMing and MM for the 360.[/quote]

I think most CAGs will agree that GameRush credit isn't considered "real dollars" and you didn't pay full price, but a fraction thereof.

[quote name='djkunai']I think most CAGs will agree that GameRush credit isn't considered "real dollars" and you didn't pay full price, but a fraction thereof.[/quote]

You're right. I only actually paid $10 for Mario Galaxy but it was just a strange feeling as a CAG taking a game to the register and buying it when it rings up full retail price ($49.99).

[quote name='TMNT770']have anybody try to trade beowulf on ps3 ? I see it still listed at 36 bucks. Is Darkness still 32 bucks?[/quote]

Just called BB and Beowulf (PS3) is now down to $9 and The Darkness (360) is still $32.

[quote name='HentaiBaka']So they don't take games without the Covers? I only have the box[/QUOTE]

Yes, they do take games without covers. It's just that I was told that a message went out systemwide to not take Forza 2/MUA pack-ins. So I think if you don't have a retail cover for one of those games, they may question it.

I actually was still successful at a different BB for trading in Forza 2 without a cover. I don't really feel too bad because the retail version is heading my way from the GameFly clearance (this was before I knew that EB was selling -- or in my case giving away -- the pack-ins).

[quote name='train789']Do you think Two worlds will go down in trade-in value at GR this tuesday????[/QUOTE]

No-one knows, but I'm guessing it'll hold. After all, it took them two weeks to finally drop Beowulf after it had been on sale 19.99 everywhere, and they have not dropped Monster Madness despite probably hundreds of copies of it being traded in over the last week. Two Worlds hasn't had a huge retail price drop anywhere so as far as GR is concerned, its still a recent, "big" 360 game.

ive got $32 left in gs credit. anyone know what would be best to buy to flip to gr? is happy feet for wii still good? hoping to find 3 games for around 17.99 at gs. that would use up my credit perfect. i already got 3 hour of victory, 3 darkness and 3 madden 06 from gs.

[quote name='HentaiBaka']So they don't take games without the Covers? I only have the box[/quote]

You don't need the covers for games, only movies. Some stores are confused about this, so ask them to check with a manager if they question the trade.

[quote name='ave1']I stopped at a number of Blockbuster stores today and had one particular store reject one of my Madden '06 games (for 360). The employee stated that the computer had a note (probably originating from the store manager) that the game was not to be accepted in their store because they've already got too many. All the other Blockbuster stores were willing to take the game, though. . . so I suspect you need to take that HoV game to another BB.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice, and you were right. I took Hour of Victory (X360) to a different Blockbuster (non GameRush store) and they took the trade for $32.00.

Also did what others are recommending and traded in Marvel Ultimate Alliance (X360) for $15 and Forza2 for $32. Then went to EBGames and picked up the MUA/Forza2 pack for $19 using the B2G1 deal on used games to also get 2 other games.

This thread has been really helpful.

How long take GR/BB have PSP core handle instock ?? I have lots credit & i wanted new core system but no store near me have it instock. Only they have Daxter bundle. Sadly i had DAXTER game :(

Someone reported the two pack trade deal? because there wasnt much time for people to have used it yet. Odd that a nationwide notice was sent out a day after it was posted on here as an idea.

[quote name='freedom_fries_for_me']Woah.

Incredibly good flip.[/quote]

The only thing that makes it poor is that I AM POOR and can't afford to turn $40 into $120 in BB/GR Credit :cry:

Best thing about Beowulf and Monster Madness is that it took very little start up cash

GR/BB takes used games from GS?
I see people flipping Madden 06, but dont used games from GS have that yellow sticker on the spine?

[quote name='DrNo888']GR/BB takes used games from GS?
I see people flipping Madden 06, but dont used games from GS have that yellow sticker on the spine?[/QUOTE]

Stickers can be peeled off. YMMV :lol:

Well, I just found out that Madden 06 is $3.99 so if this still trades for 8 at BB/GR that is double your money.

So B2G1 sale:

$3.99 * 2 = $7.98
$7.98 / 3 = $2.66

This isn't even including if you were to use an Edge Card to get an extra 10% off. So that would be 79 cents off of the original price to make it $7.19.

$3.99 * 2 = $7.98 - .79 (10%) = $7.19
$7.19 / 3 = $2.40

So basically for 8 bucks you can get $24 in store credit.

The only thing that sucks about this is that most of my local stores won't let me stack credit on a Value Card so I would have to stack credit onto my account. I think that I might finally go ahead and start a new account by myself at my local store since you can secure an account with a debit card now. The main account I'm on now is with my girlfriend so this would at least give me two accounts to trade on instead just hers.

[quote name='cdeener']
The only thing that sucks about this is that most of my local stores won't let me stack credit on a Value Card so I would have to stack credit onto my account. I think that I might finally go ahead and start a new account by myself at my local store since you can secure an account with a debit card now. The main account I'm on now is with my girlfriend so this would at least give me two accounts to trade on instead just hers.[/QUOTE]

So get a new value card! I've run through at least 10 of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back