The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

I said hell with it and used up the rest of my credit (aside from ~$10) to fill in my collection of 360 games, bringing the count up to 67.

Just dropped the following 360 games:

Battlestations: Midway -- $19
All Pro Football 2K8 -- $8
Over G Fighters -- $25
Armored Core 4 -- $22
NCAA Football 08 -- $28.50

And my GS games...

The Darkness -- $32
Hour of Victory -- $32
Forza 2 -- $32
Marvel Ultimate Alliance -- $15

[quote name='sasukekun']You can also just use the store credit and purchase blockbuster gift cards.[/QUOTE]

YMMV...my store will NOT let me use credit on a Value Card to buy a Gift Card. Not sure if it is different if the credit is on your account though.

[quote name='doubledown']YMMV...my store will NOT let me use credit on a Value Card to buy a Gift Card. Not sure if it is different if the credit is on your account though.[/QUOTE]
Not value card credit, actual store credit on your account with that store. I was able to do that a couple times since they screwed up my transaction even after I told them I wanted my trade-in credit on my value card.

Here are some PSP game prices for the wiki

PSP - Heatseeker - $7
PSP - ATV Offroad Fury - $1.50
PSP - Gripshift - $1.50
PSP - Wipeout Pure - $1.50

Needless to say, I didn't trade in the last three.

[quote name='heatdolphins45']so EB/GS sells the Forza/MUA Pack in for $19? and BB/GR still accepts it as a trade-in?[/QUOTE]

that's precisely what I want to know. I have the game but the case is kinda broken...other than that I have the manuals and everything. The cover art for the pack in doesn't have a bar code so I really don't know what's going to happen. If all else fails I'll just play the ignorance card and innocently question why I can't trade in the two games that came with my 360.

I went to cdcovers.cc and printed out covers for both when I traded them in. However, they do except trades without cover art, they just look them up by name in the system. Just don't trade it in it's current form :)

[quote name='doubledown']YMMV...my store will NOT let me use credit on a Value Card to buy a Gift Card. Not sure if it is different if the credit is on your account though.[/QUOTE]

YMMV on if you can use credit off of your account, also. Depends on how strict the employees are because some consider trade-in credit to only be used towards the purchases of products sold outside of Gift Cards.

[quote name='chargeup45']So get a new value card! I've run through at least 10 of them.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for not reading my good friend. I stated many a time before that most of the stores around me will not let you get your credit on a Value Card and you have to put all of your trade credit on your account to be used at that location.

[quote name='h2dk']I went to cdcovers.cc and printed out covers for both when I traded them in. However, they do except trades without cover art, they just look them up by name in the system. Just don't trade it in it's current form :)[/QUOTE]

did they take the games even with the paper print out covers from that site? Did they give you any problems at all?

[quote name='cdeener']
Thanks for not reading my good friend. I stated many a time before that most of the stores around me will not let you get your credit on a Value Card and you have to put all of your trade credit on your account to be used at that location.[/quote]

Tell them to pull out a copy of the trade agreement. On the back of the agreement, #10 states "The member may elect to if the store credit amount is $5 or more, apply the store credit to a Blockbuster Value Card".

After they read that, see what they say.

[quote name='pogipinoy27']did they take the games even with the paper print out covers from that site? Did they give you any problems at all?[/quote]

Not a problem at all, they just scanned the barcodes. Have a "story" ready just in case they ask (i.e. you bought them used and they didn't have covers, your dog ate them, etc.).

mam..I should go clean out all the Madden 06 at GS. Gotta make sure my BB will buy the games tho. No GR here, just BB.

[quote name='doubledown']Anyone trade PGR3 lately? I have an extra copy....also, Tiger Woods 06....I wonder if that gets $8 or not?[/quote]

I have an extra copy of PGR3 as well. I'll let you know tomorrow since I will be getting it quoted at BB.

On Xmas eve I dropped by BB on my way to pick up my girlfriend, and managed to turn $150 in Value Cards into $165 in Gift Cards.

$15 out of thin air; neat.

[quote name='paddlefoot']The only thing that makes it poor is that I AM POOR and can't afford to turn $40 into $120 in BB/GR Credit :cry:

Best thing about Beowulf and Monster Madness is that it took very little start up cash[/QUOTE]

That's the bad thing about post-Christmas.

Unless someone gives you money of course.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']On Xmas eve I dropped by BB on my way to pick up my girlfriend, and managed to turn $150 in Value Cards into $165 in Gift Cards.

$15 out of thin air; neat.[/quote]

BB has a promotion for every $50 in giftcards you buy, you get $5 free. that was nice of the employee to do...most employees arent on the ball.

Anyone know if BB/GR takes Wii Play (game only) as a trade? Got it to get an extra remote and figured the game would be worth the extra $10. Now, I'm not so sure.

I know EB takes 'em.

[quote name='awp']Anyone know if BB/GR takes Wii Play (game only) as a trade? Got it to get an extra remote and figured the game would be worth the extra $10. Now, I'm not so sure.

I know EB takes 'em.[/quote]

ebay it for $20

[quote name='freshzen']FYI I got $14 after 30% bonus credit at GS for Wii Play, just barely worth it for me.[/QUOTE]

... and then they sell it for $40. Of course, they don't include the remote.

Checked with BB/GR. No, they don't take Wii Play at all (even with remote). Apparently, they were having problems with it (some with/without remote) so it was taken out of the system completely.

Off to Ebay....

any more kunai candidates? So far all I've done is MM. I'm going today to trade in the Darkness and Forza 2 (split up from the pack-in I bought at EB games). Two Worlds is coming in via Gamefly which I will then trade along with MUA (part 2 of the pack in).

I want to milk the B2G1 deal at EB as much as possible and the only one I know to buy so far is hour of victory.

[quote name='pogipinoy27']any more kunai candidates? So far all I've done is MM. I'm going today to trade in the Darkness and Forza 2 (split up from the pack-in I bought at EB games). Two Worlds is coming in via Gamefly which I will then trade along with MUA (part 2 of the pack in).

I want to milk the B2G1 deal at EB as much as possible and the only one I know to buy so far is hour of victory.[/quote]

Look for Madden 06 at EBGS. $4 used, trades in for 8. B2G1F leads to $8+tax -> $24 BBGR

[quote name='h2dk']I went to cdcovers.cc and printed out covers for both when I traded them in. However, they do except trades without cover art, they just look them up by name in the system. Just don't trade it in it's current form :)[/quote]

How much did you get for the double pack?

[quote name='vicious7171']How much did you get for the double pack?[/quote]

don't trade it as a double pack, split it up and trade the games.

Forza gets $32
MUA gets $15

[quote name='awp']Checked with BB/GR. No, they don't take Wii Play at all (even with remote). Apparently, they were having problems with it (some with/without remote) so it was taken out of the system completely.

Off to Ebay....[/QUOTE]

I wonder if that is the same with WARHAWK since it includes a headset....I'm assuming no one has ever traded that in.

Traded in:
Darkness(360) $32

Some other trade in values on games:

Ridge Racer 7(PS3) $20
Elite Beat Agents(DS) $8
Madden 08(Gamecube) $12
The Simpsons Hit and Run(Gamecube) $2.50
Project Gotham Racing 3(360) $8

[quote name='pogipinoy27']any more kunai candidates?[/quote]

The GameFly sale has great potential (ie: 24 copies of Two Worlds for $10.81 after tax into $32 credit). Apparently I ordered so many copies that instead of using USPS, they shipped them via FedEx. Out for delivery right now (since 4:15 am), so I should have them all by tonight.

Also, Darkness through GameFly ($12.99 into $32) may be appealing.

Some trade in values that are probably known, but I traded today:

- Madden 08 (360) - $32
- Forza 2 - $32

I totally forgot to ask about Tiger Woods 06 (yes, 2006). PGR3 for $8....I'll see what HALF.com goes for. I have two copies (one from the AMEX wishlist deal). So far I got $64 back for my FREE games....plus I still have MUA, PGR3 and TW08

so i went to my local blockbuster to trade some games in, and my acct was on "hold". apparently because of the Monster Madness game. she was like it seems suspicious to BB that i traded in 3 copies and i had two more w/ me. i stated to her in the terms it says two per day, and thats what i did. i even showed her receipts. any customer service # i can call? i dont see one on the site.

[quote name='jmillion']so i went to my local blockbuster to trade some games in, and my acct was on "hold". apparently because of the Monster Madness game. she was like it seems suspicious to BB that i traded in 3 copies and i had two more w/ me. i stated to her in the terms it says two per day, and thats what i did. i even showed her receipts. any customer service # i can call? i dont see one on the site.[/QUOTE]

It has been said before...a store can do whatever it wants. They have the right to refuse any trade they want, even if you follow al the guidelines. It all has something to do with franchise stores vs independant stores. Any store has th right to refuse sale. Look what Nextel did...they refused service to excessive complainers....kind of the same policy. This has been discussed a LOT here about people getting banned or "holds" on account. Some stores don't seem to care, others are more "hip" to the situation.

Sorry you got "busted" ;)

just got off the phone w/ customer care & i was talking to a rep and she seemed suprised when i told her what happened. she said corp is going to review my acct & get back to me. i just stated to her that i followed the guidelines. i also asked her was a store manager,district manager or corp that put my acct on hold. she said corp. oh well, in the meantime, ill just get my friend to make a acct tonight so i can get my trade in credit for these games i have before the value goes down.

[quote name='jmillion']just got off the phone w/ customer care & i was talking to a rep and she seemed suprised when i told her what happened. she said corp is going to review my acct & get back to me. i just stated to her that i followed the guidelines. i also asked her was a store manager,district manager or corp that put my acct on hold. she said corp. oh well, in the meantime, ill just get my friend to make a acct tonight so i can get my trade in credit for these games i have before the value goes down.[/quote]

If it was corporate that "froze" your account does that mean they have someone or something (a computer program perhaps) that scans customer accounts and throws flags on those that trade in multiple copies of the same game?

[quote name='Chitown021']If it was corporate that "froze" your account does that mean they have someone or something (a computer program perhaps) that scans customer accounts and throws flags on those that trade in multiple copies of the same game?[/quote]

According to the Manager that I spoke to when I was trading in the good ol' Beowulf she said that corporate sent a Flag for my account since I traded in 4 in two days. But then I went to a different store and they took it just fine.

So I wonder if Corporate looks by store by store accounts not your account for all the stores.

I just found a MM game under my seat...So all this banning stuff about 2 games a day...Is that 2 same title games per store or 2 same title games of all BBs?

[quote name='joshnorm']According to the Manager that I spoke to when I was trading in the good ol' Beowulf she said that corporate sent a Flag for my account since I traded in 4 in two days. But then I went to a different store and they took it just fine.

So I wonder if Corporate looks by store by store accounts not your account for all the stores.[/quote]

or maybe she just fed you a line

[quote name='Chitown021']If it was corporate that "froze" your account does that mean they have someone or something (a computer program perhaps) that scans customer accounts and throws flags on those that trade in multiple copies of the same game?[/QUOTE]

I don't see how that is possible that they are doing anything corporate-wide or djkunai would have been banned long ago. I was told it was the DM in my case. I'm still waiting on the one store manager to talk to the DM - it was supposed to happen today. I'm not too keen on calling to find out what happened. I'm also still dealing with the missing Gamecrazy credit that I mentioned the other day. Of course they have not put it back on my card like they promised. All of these stores are starting to piss me off :bomb:.

[quote name='paddlefoot']
or maybe she just fed you a line
[/quote]
Entirely possible - when I went to the store where I found out the issue was Beowulf trades, they just said it was out of their hands (though they put it on the DM). I could easily see the store just saying it came from "higher up" meaning the DM or corporate, or just using those interchangeably. It could also just be used to dismiss you without having to give any real reason. That's basically what they did to me at that store - yeah, I followed the trade guidelines but it wasn't their decision.

[quote name='io']I don't see how that is possible that they are doing anything corporate-wide or djkunai would have been banned long ago.[/quote]

QFT. I'm pretty sure if that were true corporate would have banned me first out of everyone in country.

just made some trades... wiki won't let me on there to edit

GRAW (X360) - $12
Smackdown vs Raw 2007 (X360) - $15
Need For Speed Most Wanted (X360) - $12
Need For Speed Carbon (X360) - $15
Call Of Duty 2 (X360) - $12

[quote name='djkunai']QFT. I'm pretty sure if that were true corporate would have banned me first out of everyone in country.[/quote]Only pretty sure?;)

I rarely post but I'll relay my experience. I've been trading at GR since its inception. Traded in 4 Beowolfs and 4 MM spread out between 3 different BB's.
As you can see I've been very careful.

Well I went tonight to my closest BB and traded a MM. I've only traded 1 here before. The girl went to trade and said there was a note on my account saying to watch this trader, trading in the same games. She says it doesn't say what games and traded my games in anyways. I didn't even give an excuse, she just didn't care anyway. So while I didn't break any rules for some reason they are cracking down.

The thing is I used to trade in 20 PS1 games a day when they had the extra $3 and $5 dollar deals. The veterans will know what I speak of. The Wild West days of Gamerush, I never received so much as a warning. Now I trade in 4 of the same games over 2 weeks and I have a note in my account. Too bad for them I have an ace in the hole, a secondary trade account in another name.

Good luck CAG's! Here's to Gamerush staying for another year!

I'm similar. I stay quiet, but I've been abusing GameRush since its inception. Lately I've taken advantage of MM and MUA/Forza, and I haven't heard anything yet. This may be because I use regular BBs more often than GR, but I dunno. I was banned once about 3 years ago, but that went away after I stopped for 9-ish months and mgt changed at my usual stores.

Anyway, I'll mention it if I'm banned again.

[quote name='clevelandmvp']I rarely post but I'll relay my experience. I've been trading at GR since its inception. Traded in 4 Beowolfs and 4 MM spread out between 3 different BB's.
As you can see I've been very careful.

Well I went tonight to my closest BB and traded a MM. I've only traded 1 here before. The girl went to trade and said there was a note on my account saying to watch this trader, trading in the same games. She says it doesn't say what games and traded my games in anyways. I didn't even give an excuse, she just didn't care anyway. So while I didn't break any rules for some reason they are cracking down.

The thing is I used to trade in 20 PS1 games a day when they had the extra $3 and $5 dollar deals. The veterans will know what I speak of. The Wild West days of Gamerush, I never received so much as a warning. Now I trade in 4 of the same games over 2 weeks and I have a note in my account. Too bad for them I have an ace in the hole, a secondary trade account in another name.

Good luck CAG's! Here's to Gamerush staying for another year![/QUOTE]

I've been abusing GameRush since it's inception. I recenly traded in 8 copies of Two Worlds on the same transacton. That's about it.

[quote name='djkunai']QFT. I'm pretty sure if that were true corporate would have banned me first out of everyone in country.[/QUOTE]
Well if they look at account info going years back there would be quite a few people that probably have a lot more inconspicuous activity.

vvvv Case in point vvvv

[quote name='clevelandmvp']The thing is I used to trade in 20 PS1 games a day when they had the extra $3 and $5 dollar deals. The veterans will know what I speak of. The Wild West days of Gamerush, I never received so much as a warning. Now I trade in 4 of the same games over 2 weeks and I have a note in my account.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, there were quite a few people who were able to pull off similar stunts or if not much much more than djkunai. Many of the first GR traders racked up 4-5k in a few months and I even knew of some employees who had 10-15k.

The only difference is now GR tends to be handing out bans and freezing accounts left and right for trading in a few copies of one game.

[quote name='h2dk']don't trade it as a double pack, split it up and trade the games.

Forza gets $32
MUA gets $15[/quote]

I just bought a double pack to trade and I have 2 separate cases I can use. Do they accept trades without covers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back