The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='animemaniac14']are they as anal as FYE is about scratched discs?[/quote]

that's YMMV too. They're more strict than EB/GS but then again EB/GS basically take anything for their trade ins so go figure.

[quote name='MightySlacker']Stuntman Ignition PS3 - $16
The Bigs PS3 - $33
The Bigs 360 - $32

GOGOGO?

Dave[/quote]

I think I just found my next flip d(^_^)b

[quote name='pogipinoy27']that's YMMV too. They're more strict than EB/GS but then again EB/GS basically take anything for their trade ins so go figure.[/QUOTE]

Huh? My local EB/GS stores are a bunch of a-holes when it comes to trades. Sure they take 'em, but even a microscopic scratch and they'll charge you a "refurb fee". I've refused to trade in a few after they dropped the trade price for it (I take very good care of my games).

With BB, I've NEVER gotten denied a trade because of the condition of the discs. So I guess it really is YMMV.

I finally used some of my credit and picked up a 120 HDD for my 360. Thought about getting an Elite as a backup, but I figure if mine poops out, I can pick up an Arcade then. I didn't want to wrangle with those BB folks about looking at their consoles to make sure I'm getting a Falcon. Some of the employees, particularly at the one that had an Elite, are really pretty nasty. This one lady remembers some basketball game I traded multiple times a few years ago, and every time I go in, she looks at me like I'm a crook.

I found out about the price change on Madden '06 (360) when I went into a Gamestop today to buy that game. That's really a shame. I'm sure us CAGs had a lot to do with the price increase! Now Gamestop's corporate person who decided to make this price change is going to notice that the game is totally a nonseller. I wonder how long it'll take to see that price get back down to $4. . .

Maybe the price rose because they're planning on having another buy two get one free deals. . . and then people would grab 'em up all over again.

Hey, I ran into one of those Gamestops earlier this week with an insane store "policy" of You-can-only-buy-one-of-the-same-title. I tried to buy two Madden '06 games in Dayton, Ohio (Wilmington Pike exit off of 675) and they did not allow me to do it. I told them that it's fine by me if they don't want to get more money out of my wallet and into their register. Whoever's running that store is just a dunce I guess. . .

[quote name='ave1']

Hey, I ran into one of those Gamestops earlier this week with an insane store "policy" of You-can-only-buy-one-of-the-same-title. I tried to buy two Madden '06 games in Dayton, Ohio (Wilmington Pike exit off of 675) and they did not allow me to do it. I told them that it's fine by me if they don't want to get more money out of my wallet and into their register. Whoever's running that store is just a dunce I guess. . .[/quote]

These stores are called bullshit speaking asshat stores. Employees at BSA stores tend to spew garbage like this. I had one store deny me from purchasing 3 copies of Madden 06 and 3 copies of Darkness during the B2G1 sale. I went to another GS near a BB/GR and got them.

A couple of updates for the Wiki...

:ps3: MLB 07' The Show $23
:ps3: NCAA 08' $23

Those were quoted to me this afternoon.

I forgot to ask about Cooking Mama for the Wii :bomb:

Traded tonight:

The Bigs (PS3) - $33
Tony Hawk's Proving Ground - $25

I got the LE of THPG at Target for clearance but it did not go through in BB's system. The guy had to manually look up THPG (the regular edition) and put it in for me. So, for those wanted to do that flip, just want to let you know to be prepared in case your cashier doesn't know what they're doing.

[quote name='ave1']I found out about the price change on Madden '06 (360) when I went into a Gamestop today to buy that game. That's really a shame. I'm sure us CAGs had a lot to do with the price increase! Now Gamestop's corporate person who decided to make this price change is going to notice that the game is totally a nonseller. I wonder how long it'll take to see that price get back down to $4. . .

Maybe the price rose because they're planning on having another buy two get one free deals. . . and then people would grab 'em up all over again.

Hey, I ran into one of those Gamestops earlier this week with an insane store "policy" of You-can-only-buy-one-of-the-same-title. I tried to buy two Madden '06 games in Dayton, Ohio (Wilmington Pike exit off of 675) and they did not allow me to do it. I told them that it's fine by me if they don't want to get more money out of my wallet and into their register. Whoever's running that store is just a dunce I guess. . .[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised if they enacted that policy because too many people were buying 2 copies of the same game by accident and then returning the extra copy after they realized what they did! I'm sure after you consider how confusing video-game packaging has become over the years you'll realize its really for our own good and want to support the policy corporate wide!:dunce:

[quote name='MightySlacker']
Stuntman Ignition PS3 - $16
The Bigs PS3 - $33
The Bigs 360 - $32

GOGOGO?

Dave[/quote]

[quote name='jmillion']hmm The Bigs may have to be my next flipflip[/QUOTE]

I don't get it. Is it supposed to be on clearance at Target? I thought I found a goldmine tonight with 8 unmarked copies of the 360 version of The Bigs at my local Target. Yeah, they were $29.99... I understand them not being the same price ($7.48 vs $14.98 or whatever) but usually when things are on clearance at Target they are pretty universal. Oh well... It would have been a pain to find stores to trade them in at anyway, but I definitely would have used the Gamecrazy price match deal and gotten more credit there out of a couple of copies.

There were no PS3 copies at my Target of course - THAT one probably is on clearance everywhere. I did see Stuntman for 360 for $14.98 - that is definitely not worth the flip if it is also only getting $16 at BB ;).

Just used all 24 of those $5 Beowulf tickets I had. $120 in concession money for my 9 friends watching Cloverfield- not the best movie to eat junk food at though (massive headache from the camera movements).

[quote name='io']I don't get it. Is it supposed to be on clearance at Target? I thought I found a goldmine tonight with 8 unmarked copies of the 360 version of The Bigs at my local Target. Yeah, they were $29.99... I understand them not being the same price ($7.48 vs $14.98 or whatever) but usually when things are on clearance at Target they are pretty universal. Oh well... It would have been a pain to find stores to trade them in at anyway, but I definitely would have used the Gamecrazy price match deal and gotten more credit there out of a couple of copies.

There were no PS3 copies at my Target of course - THAT one probably is on clearance everywhere. I did see Stuntman for 360 for $14.98 - that is definitely not worth the flip if it is also only getting $16 at BB ;).[/QUOTE]

Nothing is universal at target as far as clearances go - relative to the actual percentage off.

[quote name='Hair6a11']Nothing is universal at target as far as clearances go - relative to the actual percentage off.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but it appears the PS3 version is on clearance and not the 360 version - as far as I can tell from the Target clearance thread anyway. So that would explain why they weren't on clearance ;).

Darkness for 360 is going on sale this weekend at GS for $20. So if it still fetches $32 could get back on that wagon and start flipping again.

Since it's used you could use edge & with the 10% coupon getting it for $16

[quote name='AK50']Darkness for 360 is going on sale this weekend at GS for $20. So if it still fetches $32 could get back on that wagon and start flipping again.

Since it's used you could use edge & with the 10% coupon getting it for $16[/quote]

You can't stack promotions at GS. You can stack the edge card with ANY promotion, but you can't stack other promotions together.

Still not bad though, pay $18 per copy of Darkness and trade them in at $32. I did 5 of these today. After taxes I made $60 in "free" credit.

[quote name='doubledown']Where is THE BIGS cheap?

Also, thanks for the MLB 07 Show price update...hmmm, do I trade now or just keep it at this point.[/quote]

That's the same thing I am trying to decide. I was hoping they would be worth a little more.

may go and trade in the darkness...dunno...for $21.39 im not sure $32 is worth it...i liked it much better when Two Worlds was $10 at gamefly and traded for $32...but we shall see...

[quote name='animemaniac14']may go and trade in the darkness...dunno...for $21.39 im not sure $32 is worth it...i liked it much better when Two Worlds was $10 at gamefly and traded for $32...but we shall see...[/quote]

Use the coupon in the EB/GS 10% off thread to bring down the price of The Darkness. It's still not a great ratio though.

[quote name='animemaniac14']may go and trade in the darkness...dunno...for $21.39 im not sure $32 is worth it...i liked it much better when Two Worlds was $10 at gamefly and traded for $32...but we shall see...[/quote]

You can atleast knock 10% off that with the edge card, but your right best flip I can see now is MUA/Forza two pack for around 16 at GS (edge+10% off coupon) for 37 at BB/GR.

ok i just bought that forza & mua...Forza 2 dont work for my 360 for some reason...Anyway, if i was going to trade these 2 games in would i need them to have seperate boxes? Would i need to print the cover or can i just bring the disk in?

[quote name='rcaido']ok i just bought that forza & mua...Forza 2 dont work for my 360 for some reason...Anyway, if i was going to trade these 2 games in would i need them to have seperate boxes? Would i need to print the cover or can i just bring the disk in?[/quote]

What i did was use some DVD cases I had, and printed out the covers at staples (5 copies of each, i believe the colour copies were 25 cents each). Scanned perfectly didnt look twice at the black box instead of the green ones. Since the bastards at GS raised the price of Madden'06 it looks like this is the only easy to get to game (besides the clearance at target and cc which are yymv)

[quote name='sp00ge']$12.99? I paid $10 for that same phone at Walmart. What a rip! ;)[/QUOTE]

I hear it trades for $20 at Gamerush. Bring in 10 at once for a "Manager's Special" trade-in rate!

[quote name='rcaido']Yeah i just called BB & they said no...I guess i'm off to print some covers...Thanks for the help...[/QUOTE]

Why don't you just steal the covers from Gamestop?

[quote name='nietzsche74']Why don't you just steal the covers from Gamestop?[/QUOTE]

Well you could ASK the manager/employee if you could take box with the cover instead of stealing it....

u could just ask for the covers too. some GS reps are cool. and i had 1st traded in Forza2MUA w/ the original litho. just cut it in half and put in separate cases. the 2nd,3rd time i printed covers on regular paper, scanned no problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back