The Orange Box: Portal - Gen. Discussion - Companion Cubes For Sale Soon!

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']You can simply walk into them to knock them over.[/quote]
What about the ones that are high up? I can't touch them with the portal gun.

I'm asking about the cameras...are you talking about he turrets?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']What about the ones that are high up? I can't touch them with the portal gun.

I'm asking about the cameras...are you talking about he turrets?[/quote]

Bah yea I meant turrets. Sorry I misread your post.

[quote name='WorldFamous']I'm on the last level of this amazing game and i'm losing my mind. I'm stuck in the room with about 10 pipes that are slowly opening and closing and I cant figure out how to move on. I wanted to finish this thing on my own but i'm going insane. Please help!!!!![/QUOTE]

This is the one where they're all horizontal right? You need to climb on top of the pipes and get to the top of the room. The last part is tricky because you need to shoot a portal at the exit before you get shoved off of the pipe.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Link, did you beat 18 yet? Apparently my friend is still stuck on it, I'm going to check it out in a little bit.[/quote]

No I quit on it last night. I'm still at work. I'll try it again as soon as I get home (bout 2hrs.)

[quote name='LinkinPrime']No I quit on it last night. I'm still at work. I'll try it again as soon as I get home (bout 2hrs.)[/QUOTE]
Just figured it out...well, not the whole thing but at least I'm not stuck on the same part. Without spoiling it, ignore what I said earlier about working your way up the higher platforms to get to the area with the boxes.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Just figured it out...well, not the whole thing but at least I'm not stuck on the same part. Without spoiling it, ignore what I said earlier about working your way up the higher platforms to get to the area with the boxes.[/quote]

Just one hint: Does locking yourself in the room matter at all?

For anyone who has beaten the game, here is a post from the Portal Message boards you will find interesting. DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVENT FINISHED THE GAME.

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=934386&topic=38815824

Okay, here's the complete backstory from the ApertureScience.com website, game resources and commentary. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, DO NOT READ THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE BEATEN PORTAL! SRSLY!

First, the notes from the CJOHNSON/TIER3 login on ApertureScience.com:
"1953 - Aperture Science begins operations as a manufacturer of shower curtains. Early product line provides a very low-tech portal between the inside and outside of your shower. Very little science is actually involved. The name is chosen to make the curtains appear more hygienic.

1956 - Eisenhower administration awards Aperture a contract to provide shower curtains to all branches of the military except the Navy.

1957 - 1975 - Mostly shower curtains.

1978 - Aperture Founder and CEO, Cave Johnson, is exposed to mercury while secretly developing a dangerous mercury-injected rubber sheeting from which he plans to manufacture seven deadly shower curtains to be given as gifts to each member of the House Naval Appropriations committee.

1979 - Both of Cave Johnson's kidneys fail. Brain damaged, dying, and incapable of being convinced that time is not now flowing backwards, Johnson lays out a three tiered R&D program. The results, he says, will 'guarantee the continued success of Aperture Science into the fast-approaching distant past.'

Tier 1: The Heimlich Counter-Maneuver - A reliable technique for interrupting the life-saving Heimlich Maneuver.

Tier 2: The Take-A-Wish Foundation - A charitable organization that will purchase wishes from the parents of terminally ill children and redistribute them to wish-deprived but otherwise healthy adults.

Tier 3: 'Some kind of rip in the fabric of space... That would... Well, it'd be like, I don't know, something that would help with the shower curtains I guess. I haven't worked this idea out as much as the wish-taking one.'

1981 - Diligent Aperture engineers compelte the Heimlich Counter-Maneuver and Take-A-Wish Foundation initiatives. The company announces products related to the research in a lavish, televised ceremony. These products become immediately wildly unpopular. After a string of very public choking and despondent sick child disasters, senior company officials are summoned before a Senate investigative committee. During these proceedings, an engineer mentions that some progress has been made on Tier 3, the 'man-sized ad hoc quantum tunnel through physical space with possible applications as a shower curtain.' The committee is quickly permanently recessed, and Aperture is granted an open-ended contract to secretly research on the 'Portal' and Heimlich Counter-Maneuver projects.

1981-1985 - Work progresses on the 'Portal' project. Several high ranking Fatah personnel choke to death on lamb chunks despite the intervention of their bodyguards.

1986 - Word reaches Aperture management that another defense contractor called Black Mesa is working on a similar portal technology. In response to this news, Aperture begins developing the Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System (GLaDOS), an artificially intelligent research assitant and disk operating system.

1996 - After a decade spent bringing the disk operating parts of GLaDOS to a state of more or less basic functionality, work begins on the Genetic Lifeform component.

Several Years Later - The untested AI is activated for the first time as one of the planned activities on Aperture's first annual bring-your-daughter-to-work day.

In many ways, the initial test goes well..."

From this and the events that occur in Portal, it's pretty clear that GLaDOS immediately locks down the facility and takes over the security system. She then attempts to kill everyone in the facility with a deadly neurotoxin, but is stopped when a hastily-constructed "morality core" is installed into her main processor. She does not relinquish control of the facility, however, and continues to work on the Portal project herself. Meanwhile outside the events of Black Mesa and its aftermath occur and the Combine began its takeover of Earth.

GLaDOS finally completes work on the portal gun. It is strongly suggested that the girls who visited Aperture on its first annual "Bring Your Daughter To Work Day" are now young women due to the years spent trapped in the facility, and it is they who are the test subjects that GLaDOS is using.

One test subject sneaks a wrench and a pair of pliers into the testing course and manages to break into the infrastructure. She seems to have had trouble progressing through the course; it apparently taking her weeks or perhaps even months to get through some of the tests. It is possible that the reason she has so much trouble is that she is not equipped with the heelsprings that your character starts the game with, and thus is not protected from falling damage. She makes "nests" in the infrastructure in tests that take her a long time to complete and writes notes on the walls about what she is doing. These seem to get more and more erratic as she progresses through the test.

At the end of the test she breaks out and gets into the infrastructure again, this time making it much farther than she ever had before. She marks her path as she goes. She apparently gets to the final turret ambush before dying (I am assuming this because the mark that points you to the turret ambush is the last one of hers you ever see).

GLaDOS, dissatisfied with her performance in the test, selects a new test subject - your character. At this point the game begins. The second test subject (your character) progresses through the test much faster, possibly due to changes in the test, changes to the portal gun, and the fact that your character is equipped with heelsprings. Your character also escapes at the end of the test, follows the path of the first test subject, and eventually finds, confronts, and destroys GLaDOS' current computer core. This apparently opens a huge portal to the surface that the debris and your character get sucked through, apparently allowing your character to escape (this is disputable, however - it is possible your character did not survive).

Unfortunately, GLaDOS has many backup cores that she can use to re-create herself, and her domination over Aperture Science (and obsession with cake) will continue.

Interesting facts: I think by far the most interesting thing about Portal is the fact that there are no men in the game at all. You are female. The previous test subject was female. GLaDOS self-identifies as female. GLaDOS mentions "Bring Your Daughter To Work Day" and also states at one point that you can donate your organs to the Aperture Self-Esteem Fund for Girls. In fact, the only male presence in the entire game are a few pictures on the wall and the CJOHNSON/TIER3 easter egg you find in one of the nests.

The final song "Still Alive" was written by Jonathan Coulton, which explains why it's so awesome. It was performed by Ellen McLane, the voice of GLaDOS. Ellen McLane also voices the announcer in Team Fortress 2 and the Overwatch voice in the Half-Life 2 series, making her the only person to be in every game in the Orange Box.

We finished it a couple hours ago. The relentless chatter during the final part of the final stage is fucking hilarious.

I smell new weapon for Gordon when HL2 episode 3 rolls around.

damn near killed my 360!

In the part with the fan after the super turrent I wedged a chair in the fan and my system froze made a grinding sound!!!!!!!!Scared teh crap outta me, Thought it was gonna die.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']damn near killed my 360!
[/QUOTE]

we have spoiler tags now. like so:
[!/spoiler] just take out the "!"

I was playing Portal last night with my 7 year old watching, I got to level 12 and he was laughing his ass off when I made a portal that I just kept falling through. I really hope Valve does more with this technology.

Game OF...the year. Probably one of my new favorite games. I'll say this, you can't judge the game until you've beaten it. Doesn't matter how 'far' you think you are into the game. You got to play it until credits roll.

Everyone who said this wasn't a full game just didn't play it. I played Halo3 co-op through twice. The game took about... ah... 6 hours. It can take a lot longer if some parts give you trouble (last part, we're looking at you), but if you can do most of the stuff on one or two tries, you can burn through it pretty quick.

Portal was about 4 and a half hours for me - and the story, just the enjoyment of the environment and what's going on... just to sit and watch it.. in my opinion, is so much better than Halo 3.

I'm making a note here-

Huge Success.

Game OF...the year. Probably one of my new favorite games. I'll say this, you can't judge the game until you've beaten it. Doesn't matter how 'far' you think you are into the game. You got to play it until credits roll.

Everyone who said this wasn't a full game just didn't play it. I played Halo3 co-op through twice. The game took about... ah... 6 hours. It can take a lot longer if some parts give you trouble (last part, we're looking at you), but if you can do most of the stuff on one or two tries, you can burn through it pretty quick.

Portal was about 4 and a half hours for me - and the story, just the enjoyment of the environment and what's going on... just to sit and watch it.. in my opinion, is so much better than Halo 3.

I'm making a note here-

Huge Success.

Beat level 18 last night....can't belive I didn't get it. I was thrown off when someone told me that in the room with the turrrets it didnt matter if you locked yourself in....welll it does. Once I figured that section out the rest was cake....I'm somewhere halfway through 19 its pretty funny specially
where they try to kill you by going through the fire
but I got nauseous after level 18 with all of the high jumping upside down and stuff so I had to stop. Fun times though...I love the voice over.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Beat level 18 last night....can't belive I didn't get it. I was thrown off when someone told me that in the room with the turrrets it didnt matter if you locked yourself in....welll it does. Once I figured that section out the rest was cake....I'm somewhere halfway through 19 its pretty funny specially
where they try to kill you by going through the fire
but I got nauseous after level 18 with all of the high jumping upside down and stuff so I had to stop. Fun times though...I love the voice over.[/quote]

I locked myself in that room and was still able to finish it. I can't for the life of me remember how, though. :D

"I would have invited your Companion Cube but you MURDERED him."

"Did you know you were adopted"
"Did you know you are unfriendly. It says it right here in your file. Unfriendly"

That last part was great.

[quote name='JC Monkeyballs']I locked myself in that room and was still able to finish it. I can't for the life of me remember how, though. :D

"I would have invited your Companion Cube but you MURDERED him."[/quote]
Really, now I'm curious as to how you did that then. I thought the way I did it for sure was the only way...it ended up being extremely easy though once I figured it out. Here's how I did it:

the lever that pushes out part of the wall so you enter the next room, ends up pointing up at about 45 degree angle, once it stops I put a portal in there, fell to the right where there's floor at the bottom, opened up another portal before I hit the ground and I was launched directly into the room ahead with the block....from there its pretty self explanatory.

I got locked in the room and got out.
It took me a long time to figure out that the button was floating in the corner. Once I did that I dont really remember how I beat it but i did

I loved the ending
Companion cube and cake

The boss fight was funny when you would pick up the little machines and they would start talking to you.

Has anyone tried the advanced levels yet. They are really difficult

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']For anyone who has beaten the game, here is a post from the Portal Message boards you will find interesting. DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVENT FINISHED THE GAME.

[/QUOTE]

So...
The only thing that contradicts all of that is the fact that the GlaDOS mentions "Kip" then says you killed him. Seems like a different choice of words would have been used if the machine was just screwing with you--instead of a specific name. Plus, you do kinda look like a convict--

portalih1.jpg

just finished the game. I liked the ending will have to play through some of the advance stuff sometime.

How many levels are there? I am in the teens I believe. It is a lot of fun. It was the game on the disc I was most excited about. How do I do the fall 30,000 ft Achievement?

Just beat it. Wow, I expected trippy puzzles, but I never imagined an environment so well done. That was fantastic.

[quote name='Kendal']How many levels are there? I am in the teens I believe. It is a lot of fun. It was the game on the disc I was most excited about. How do I do the fall 30,000 ft Achievement?[/QUOTE]

In any room where there's a large gap between the ceiling and the floor, make a portal on both making sure they're lined up. Then you jump through and wait (several minutes) until it unlocks.

Finished it today and I have to say that the dialogue and strange humor alone make the game worth playing.. it's so good. I think whoever came up with all this stuff definitely deserves a fine piece of cake.

Just beat it. 19 levels.

Level 18 was a toughie. Level 19 was fun as hell.

The credits were great..

The part in the song.. "Maybe Black Mesa.. that was a joke, ha ha" I was crying from laughing so hard..

sequel.. please.. for the love of god, sequel. This game was amazing. The atmosphere, the dialog, the voice of the computer.. This needs to win a "most innovative game" award or something. I want to play through it again. The challenge mode will keep me coming back.

I've taken out the first two advanced boards. Honestly? They were pretty easy. In so much as you have to think out a solution, but executing it is fairly straightforward. I can probably do them again with minimal trouble now that I know the solution.

The third advanced one though was a mother. It was less a solution based puzzle (really it's the same puzzle as before with few changes) and more extra fast execution. I actually had to give up because I was getting frustrated. I'll have to try again later.

I've also started playing again through with the developer commentary on - it's not as robust as I would have liked, but still worth checking out. I need to get my long jump achievement while I'm at it.

For those who notice the Black Mesa in the credit song
Be sure to watch the whole slide show that is visible in the later stages of 19. You can see it through the windows. It details how Aperture Science was an alternate proposal to Black Mesa. They both made a lot of military bids although most of Black Mesa's were accepted, almost none of Aperture Sciences were. I'm probably butchering the story since this is all from memory. It was pretty cool.

... Great. I'm going to have nightmares for a few days.

So. Creepy. That game was worth the price of the whole Orange Box.

[quote name='Blaine']
Be sure to watch the whole slide show that is visible in the later stages of 19. You can see it through the windows. It details how Aperture Science was an alternate proposal to Black Mesa. They both made a lot of military bids although most of Black Mesa's were accepted, almost none of Aperture Sciences were. I'm probably butchering the story since this is all from memory. It was pretty cool.
[/quote]

Make sure to check out the text on the computer screens in the few places where they are big enough to read. They contain a recipe for cake. I am not kidding.

Finally beat it last night...I was stuck on one part since I didn't know
you could break tubes
so I had to check YouTube to find out what to do...other than that it was pretty much all me :D. Awesome game throughout loved every minute of it, and I hope that we get some more levels through DLC sometime soon or a standalone sequel. The boss battle was hilarious...even the song in the credits made me laugh. This wasn't the reason why I bought The Orange Box but it definately made me feel like I got my money's worth alone on this game.

I finished it a couple nights ago. The game was worth a $50 price tag to me, even at 3 hours. I would much rather see innovative games like this that are shorter, than longer repetitive or otherwise rehashed games with only a new storyline. The portal concept was used in so many unique ways, and humor and story were just icing on the cake.

My favorite puzzle was on level 18, where you have to
get up a series of platforms by falling through one portal so you come up high enough out the next portal to shoot a new portal on a higher platform. Then fall back into the same portal, etc.

I beat the game twice so far. First time it was about 3 hours, then 3 hours later I beat it in 1 hour 15 minutes. I really wish this was part of the HL2 multiplayer.

I wish the Orange Box didn't come with so many good games so I could keep playing this over and over.

wait, nevermind, I take that back. Gonna have to agree with ign or whoever said this was the best deal in gaming ever (as far as retail releases go...)

Have you read the IGN review for this game? It's terrible. They say it's better in concept than execution... How could it have been executed better?

Portal is a triumph. Note that it's a huge success. It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

Anyone complete the 6th advance level?
I'm stuck at a point where I've flung myself across a water chasm and I have a high ledge that I need to get to the top of but the only wall that I can put the portal on faces away from where I'm trying to get. (wow, it's hard to describe the layout of this game)

Has anyone found a good guide/walkthrough website for this game?

Has anyone got the 300 Ft Jump achievement? I haven't found a good place to attempt it. It seems like the end part of level 18 would be a good place (where you have to get big air to get up to the different platforms) but there aren't any flat walls to throw a portal on to get the jump after you have good momentum built up.

Most areas don't seem to be long enough to get this achievement.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']
Make sure to check out the text on the computer screens in the few places where they are big enough to read. They contain a recipe for cake. I am not kidding.
[/quote]

Also when you're fighting the final boss one of the little personality spheres or whatever recites the recipe!

bread's done
Back