The OTT still sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='corrosivefrost']What? Since when do you have a kid, budge?
[/QUOTE]

I went to first new post in the thread and it was budge's so I didn't see eldergamers and I was thinking "wtf? budge has a kid? he's so young!"

Got this email.

Hi, I received the "like new, near mint but read once" book today, and the back cover has a deep crease like it was folded in half, and the front cover/first 10 pages look wrinkled like they got wet. :( :( :( This is a christmas gift, or I wouldn't care about the condition... but I'm very upset. Can you please offer a solution?

fucking bullshit.

I just got an email about possible school closing for Friday. We're forecast to get maybe 2 inches of snow tomorrow and it will be just above freezing tomorrow night. Pussies.

People are funny like that. One snowflake and people are in mode panic mode. And 9 times out of 10 they forget how to drive all of a sudden. Although I'd be surprised if half the people I see knew how to drive in the first place.

I wanted a penis avatar, but I couldn't think of anything great to be made. The best I came up with was Sigorney Weaver from Aliens.

Two C+'s so far this semester. I figure I got a shot at an A in two classes, if not then solid B's. Analytical Chemistry (I like to call it Anal Chem cuz I'm :cool:) has kicked my ass though and I have to fight for a C.

going to go christmas shopping today

i don't know what to get my gf but so far i made her this portrait
Photoon2010-12-15at1504.jpg

also, somehow last night i hurt my foot and now it hurts to walk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see anything wrong with that post? (Besides assuming Sean makes 6 figs and calling him naive)

Why do people think generics are so much cheaper than name brands? Pfizer and Merck lose their patent license and they're off making some better version of some drug they've been making for 10 years and put a new patent on that.

Because with generics all the leg work is done for them. Do people not realize how many trials drugs go through?

I also cannot stand the doctor greed mentality. It blows my mind. Every doctor I've worked for or around got into the field to help people. People doing research make shit. Doctors have worked their assess off to get where they are and deserve some respect. If it was so easy, everyone would do it.

Call big pharm greedy, but it's a business like everything else out there.

seanr you damn greedy bastard...

~~~~

My buddy just sent me a text telling me that I should get back on facebook so I can play cityville with him and our other buddy.

It gave me a good chuckle.

I am calling the next OTT. Julian Assange is going to be OTT man of the year. Time magazine may have fucked him, but the OTT will give him his due.

[quote name='seanr1221']Because with generics all the leg work is done for them. Do people not realize how many trials drugs go through?

I also cannot stand the doctor greed mentality. It blows my mind. Every doctor I've worked for or around got into the field to help people. People doing research make shit. Doctors have worked their assess off to get where they are and deserve some respect. If it was so easy, everyone would do it.

Call big pharm greedy, but it's a business like everything else out there.[/QUOTE]

They aren't inherently wrong either. You may dismiss them for their points, but the whole way that society treats medical professionals and professionals of all levels is pretty fucking ridiculous. Most of these professions in other parts of the world don't have the stigma and aura attached to them as they do in the US. Doctors historically were not regarded with the sort of prestige that has come to define them. All this is a 20th century invention. A societal realignment needs to take place where these people shouldn't be put on such a high level, and the whole industry needs to reduce its spiraling costs.

alot of people I know going into the medical field say they're doing it because that's what will pay a shit ton right now and in the future. it's nice to have those that are in it to help people, but not everybody feels that way. [quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']what should i get TFN for christmas u guys[/QUOTE]a dinosaur egg.

[quote name='seanr1221']Because with generics all the leg work is done for them. Do people not realize how many trials drugs go through?

Call big pharm greedy, but it's a business like everything else out there.[/QUOTE]

The legwork portion is right yes, but still, a lot of that testing and research is provided for with grant money.

I don't think anyone said being a doctor was easy, its a very, very specialized line of work, most anything in the medical field is. But look at hospitals for example. They are a business and they make profits off the sick. I can't blame them for making a profit, that's not my point at all, it's their right to make money. My point is that hospitals have no problem kicking people to the curb who have no insurance or have insurance that isn't good enough. Again, I can't blame them because they need to make money to continue helping the sick. But I don't hear many stories of doctors who say own private practices and who take on patients with bad or no insurance out of the goodness of their heart. Sure, you can't give your services away for free, but I don't think doctors should also be so trigger happy in turning people away because they can't get paid.

Not saying either way is right or wrong, there's no obvious solution, these are just observations. Do I think doctors truly want to help people? Yes. But do I also think that they're going to do everything they can to make as much money as possible? Yes.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']They aren't inherently wrong either. You may dismiss them for their points, but the whole way that society treats medical professionals and professionals of all levels is pretty fucking ridiculous. Most of these professions in other parts of the world don't have the stigma and aura attached to them as they do in the US. Doctors historically were not regarded with the sort of prestige that has come to define them. All this is a 20th century invention. A societal realignment needs to take place where these people shouldn't be put on such a high level, and the whole industry needs to reduce its spiraling costs.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, like I said earlier, the medical field is so specialized it's hard NOT to put them on a high level. Same goes for lawyers, engineers, programmers, certain mechanics, etc. I'm not saying that those other professions contribute the same benefits to society that doctors do, but those are also specialized jobs that are placed on a fairly high level.

Doctors and lawyers are two absolutes that most common people need to have in their life. You need a good doctor, and you need a good lawyer and that's why those two professions in particular are looked at with such awe and that awe is not going to go away any time soon.

[quote name='MusicNoteLess']I will never touch cityville, farmville, world of Warcraft, or any iteraration of those kind of games.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly, plus I don't regret deleting my facebook account a couple of years ago.

Insurance companies are a different beast. They have a lot of doctors by the balls, and will soon have therapists like myself by the balls.

In a perfect world grants would cover everything. But getting something like an NiH grant is a bear in the first place, and good luck having it fund everything. Like I said, doctors in research are really underpaid for what they do.

For example, I have a project I want to develop that would revolutionize autism therapies, but Im having a hell of a time getting even 1,000.00 for it.

[quote name='flowery']My thoughts exactly, plus I don't regret deleting my facebook account a couple of years ago.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't delete my fb account for the fact it's the only way to get in touch with the majority of my friends.

I got into the medical field (Laboratory Science/Technology) for the job security and the fact it was an easy two year degree (at the time). Altruism was a mild factor. More of a factor was the idea that I wouldn't have to work directly with people. (Now if I could just get rid of my co-workers)

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I am calling the next OTT. Julian Assange is going to be OTT man of the year. Time magazine may have fucked him, but the OTT will give him his due.[/QUOTE]

I cannot support this. Then again, what does it matter? :D

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Manthing found me a copy of SSF4 for 360, FYI (This is mainly directed at 83).[/QUOTE]

What?!?!

What am I supposed to do with this copy I have now? Besides challenge you to a duel on XBL...DIBS on Ryu!!!

[quote name='Number83']What?!?!

What am I supposed to do with this copy I have now? Besides challenge you to a duel on XBL...DIBS on Ryu!!![/QUOTE]

If you got me a copy that you don't want and don't feel like returning, send it anyway -- I'll either give it as a gift or list it on half. :)

Wow, after having their tv for 12 years, my parents are going to get an HDTV.

Looks like I can get them a blu player for Christmas. Now to decide which one...I know it will have to be Netflix ready.

[quote name='Number83']What?!?!

What am I supposed to do with this copy I have now? Besides challenge you to a duel on XBL...DIBS on Ryu!!![/QUOTE]

See?? This is the kind of shit that happens when I'm sober and able to help.

No thanks.

:nottalking:

/disappears into a bottle of rum

[quote name='seanr1221']Insurance companies are a different beast. They have a lot of doctors by the balls, and will soon have therapists like myself by the balls.

In a perfect world grants would cover everything. But getting something like an NiH grant is a bear in the first place, and good luck having it fund everything. Like I said, doctors in research are really underpaid for what they do.

For example, I have a project I want to develop that would revolutionize autism therapies, but Im having a hell of a time getting even 1,000.00 for it.[/QUOTE]

Yep, but the irony with insurance companies is people are harping on "tremendous profits" when in fact their profit margins are dwindling (down to around 6% last I read).

I think tort reform to control the true spiraling costs (in terms of both litigation and redundant testing) is a lost cause, I am hopeful Texas's loser pays system gets implemented and succeeds; Because I really believe civil suits are required to prevent neglect and abuse but the costs even if a hypothetical Dr, not in the wrong, wins are outrageous.

I'd feel better about the HC debate if I saw it coming more from a place of affordability (read: egalitarianism) and not so much general class envy.

I'm also not really interested in seeking medical services and advice from the kind people (and the level of intelligence and education required to deliver it then) who could operate in the medical field in pre-20th century society.

The complacent, indolent, Luddites and those who generally make bad choices over and over again are going to ruin society for us all.

If pushed I'll throw in with the "greedy," assertive, and those who seek to better themselves over the alternative when the time for "social realignment" goes down.

I've personally talked to a significant number of people fleeing Gov't run HC systems who gave me new perspective on the debate- death by delay (which becomes nothing other than de facto rationing) is far from ideal when you face protracted major health problems. That and my former years of alignment with the left and its ilk have run the empathy well dry.

Wow. Found some new copies of Heavenly Sword at Best Buy for 20 bucks. I thought they stopped selling/producing this game long ago and remaining copies stayed at the 60 dollar msrp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back