The - PERSONA 3 / PERSONA 3 FES - Thread! (FES OUT NOW! $30!)

[quote name='keithp']Agreed! I can't even get mad that everyone who hasn't played P3 gets it[/QUOTE]

Why would that make you mad? Next school shooter right here folks. J/K :p

Since the full info hasn't been posted yet:

1. What is Persona 3 FES?

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES is an enhanced edition of the dating sim/dungeon crawler entry in the Persona series, which originally came out in the U.S. in August 2007. It was created by Atlus Japan as an extra for fans of the first game, since the reception was so positive both here and overseas.

2. What's new in FES?

Persona 3 FES is divided into two parts. The first and longest part is The Journey, which consists of an enhanced version of the same game previously released. The enhancements include a new Hard Mode selectable from the start, new Personas, a new Social Link with new Arcana, new classroom pop quizzes, a new Weapon Fusion system, over 50 new requests from Elizabeth, new nighttime events with Koromaru, and a few secrets as well.

The second part is The Answer, an entirely new chapter in Persona 3 that deals with the events after The Journey's ending. In The Answer, you play as Aigis to solve the mystery of "time skips" that have trapped the S.E.E.S. members in the same repeating day. The Answer gives players who have completed the Journey a formidable challenge: conquer hundreds of new floors filled with enemies and bosses harder than anything in The Journey's Hard Mode, and do it all without the benefit of The Journey's Persona compendium.

3. I heard there were two versions of FES in Japan. What's the difference between them?

As far as content goes, there was no difference between the Full and Append versions of P3 FES in Japan. Both contained the entirety of The Journey (known there as Episode Yourself) and The Answer (called Episode Aigis). The only difference was that the Append version was sold at a lower price, since it required players to insert a copy of the original Persona 3 before booting the enhanced game.

4. Which version are we getting here?

The only version being released in the U.S. on April 22 is the Full version of Persona 3 FES. It will contain all of the content in both The Journey and the Answer, and it will not require ownership of the original release of Persona 3.

5. How much is the Full version here?

Persona 3 FES will carry an MSRP of $29.99.

5a. I already own Persona 3 and I don't think it's fair that new players get to have FES for $29.99.

That's not really a question, but... Atlus USA does appreciate your support of the original version of P3, but multiple releases of the same game are unfeasible for various reasons in the U.S. For this reason, we have priced the sole version of FES at roughly what the Append disc would have cost. This way, players who already own the original release don't have to pay the same amount again for the extra content. In addition to having had the chance to experience Persona 3 much earlier than newcomers to the game, they will also have the Special Edition's art book and soundtrack, which will not be included in the release of P3 FES.

In addition, this pricing structure is increasingly the accepted method for enhanced re-releases. See also Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams, Virtua Fighter 4 Remix, Ninja Gaiden Black, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition, and so on, all of which were released at $19.99 or $29.99 price points.

7. Is the US version of Persona 3 FES censored in any way? I heard you might have to remove... that.

Longtime fans of the Shin Megami Tensei series will be happy to hear that P3 FES is completely uncensored, including... that, which appears in its full "glory" for the first time in the US in this game.

8. Can I continue my game of Persona 3 in Persona 3 FES?

Not really. The Journey section of P3 FES is meant to be played from the start so that you can experience all the new content. If you're in the middle of October in Persona 3, you cannot load that save into Persona 3 FES and pick up in the middle of October in The Journey; you must start a new game at level 1. However, you will be able to load some things from your Persona 3 save into FES. These are:

-Your Academics, Charm, and Courage rankings
-Your discovered Fusion Spells list
-Any key items you possess that unlock Persona fusions
-Your Persona compendium (However, the Personas in your compendium will be reset to their base level, stats, and skills)

[quote name='Draekon']Longtime fans of the Shin Megami Tensei series will be happy to hear that P3 FES is completely uncensored, including... that, which appears in its full "glory" for the first time in the US in this game.[/QUOTE]

I'm too lazy to search around for ... that, so can someone tell us what ... that ... is?

[quote name='atlus']
8. Can I continue my game of Persona 3 in Persona 3 FES?

Not really. The Journey section of P3 FES is meant to be played from the start so that you can experience all the new content. If you're in the middle of October in Persona 3, you cannot load that save into Persona 3 FES and pick up in the middle of October in The Journey; you must start a new game at level 1. However, you will be able to load some things from your Persona 3 save into FES. These are:

-Your Academics, Charm, and Courage rankings
-Your discovered Fusion Spells list
-Any key items you possess that unlock Persona fusions
-Your Persona compendium (However, the Personas in your compendium will be reset to their base level, stats, and skills)[/quote]

Yay, that means I can advance a bit if I want on P3 and import this stuff into my new save. I probably won't finish P3 and just finish up FES though. Atlus is awesome.

So, I figured we could put the other topic to rest about Persona 3 and start off fresh for FES. We know that it will come out April 22 for $29.99 and it will include both Persona 3 and FES.

Post deals and preorders here so we can jump ahead of the game!

Preorder from Gamestop
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=281894

Note:
This is NOT the append version everyone was thinking it was. The Atlus email states "2 games in one".

Edit #1
The Atlus email...thanks JMClarkent

[quote name='JMClarkent'][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Ok, we give up. The rumors were true. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Persona 3 FES is coming to North America! [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Months of trying to keep FES a secret are now behind us (which means all of us here can reflect on just how futile an effort that was).[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]So what's the big deal about Persona 3 FES? "FES" is short for "Festival," and in Japan, FES was released as a reward for gamers who picked up the original. Not only does the new FES content enhance the original game, but the new FES component is actually a game in and of itself, accessible right from the get-go. We think of it as two games on one disc. It is the definitive Persona 3 experience.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]We will be releasing the stand-alone version of FES. There was of course the option of just releasing the "Append" disc (which would have required ownership of the original game), but in the end, we didn't want you to have to own anything else to enjoy the experience.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]We'll have a ton more updates going out for FES soon, telling you about the extra features, content, and modes for you to enjoy. Thanks for being patient. We're glad you stuck around. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Oh, and we decided to set the suggested retail for FES at $29.99, just for the heck of it. Thanks for continuing to support us, Atlus Faithful!
[/FONT]
[/FONT][/quote]

EDIT #2
Well, this topic went nuts while I was in class all day...to verify some items that came up, here is what some of the inner topics say.

This game is stand alone. It will feature both P3 and P3 FES on one disk. This will also come WITHOUT the artbook and soundtrack. So, for those of you, like me, who bought the original P3...it should still retain value for these items.

And for those of you complaining that this "isn't a deal", I think it is. This is CHEAPassgamer. I wanted you guys to know instead of buying P3 for $50.

EDIT #3
Thanks to bavgate for finding this. Here are the differences in P3/FES

[quote name='bavgate']
> Data Conversion
From Original P3 to FES (to Episode Yourself only, Episode Aegis is independent story mode)
- All stats - Academic, Charm and Courage
- S-link max items
- All the Mix-Raid lists.
- List of Compendium (all skills and levels will be reset to Base)
That is all. Nothing else.

> Hard Mode
Increased Damage taking from Shadows.
Even normal encounter can give Enemy Advantage.
Lower the chance on Escape.
Cost for bring out Persona from Compendium is quadrupled (x4).

> Tartarus
No matter when, you and your member will get tired, even in day before Full-moon. But they will keep stay in day before Full-moon day - tired or not.
No matter what condition is (tired or sick) you and your member will be Normal at full-moon day.
Extra BGM in dungeon (4 of them, while in dungeon ask Fuuka - not Mituru - to change them)

> Day time
Class room questions and tests are changed.
Extra dialogs and events with Dorm members.
Some people have moved to different place in town and school.
After 24th AUG you can ask out your member for movie.
Now you can play in Game Panic (arcade) in mall for these benefits.
- Punching Machine for STR (equipped Persona only)
- Fortune telling for INT (same as STR)
- Whack-a-mole for DEC (same as above)
- Quiz game for Academic
- Print Club for Charm
- Virtual Horror for Courage.
> Extra function in Shrine, but it will use up whole afternoon.
Offertory will gives you points no matter, but you get more when you are in Great! condition.
Fortune pick will increase the S-link points.
Small shrine can grant you one benefits (some benefits are for that night only).
- No longer gets tired
- Double the money you have.
- Extra money (1.2 to 1.5) to your pocket.
- Triple the money you have.
- Increased chance on item drops from Shadows.
- Extra EXP gain.
- More Fusion accidents.
- Extra money from Coin cards.
- Increase the one of member's stat (amount is 1 to 4, only one stat will rise per pray)
- Change item to something.

> S-links
Even you have Maxed out, now you can ask them out again (but for nothing).
You can now choose who to go out with at summer festival in Shrine and Christmas (if you have S-link)
S-link for Aigis (Aeon)
Devil S-link have moved to Night (in mall)
All S-links have less points to move to next rank.

> Persona
Some skills and level have changed. (different in Episode Yourself and Episode Aegis as well)
Temperance max Persona is now Yurung (changed from Byakko)
Demon style Lucifer is added, original Lucifer is now Lucifel (sp?)
New Persona (23 total - name spelling might be wrong..)
- Fool Slime
- Magician Kahak
- H. Priestess High Pixie
- Empress Yakshini
- Hierophant Seasor
- Hierophant Tote
- Lovers Alp
- Hermit Mothman
- Hermit Kwanda
- Fortune Empusa
- Strength Lakshasa
- Hanged_Man Hekatoncail
- Hanged_Man Hells Angel
- Death Ghoul
- Temperance Yurung
- Devil Pazuzu
- Tower Mara
- Star Kartikeya
- Moon Baal-Zebul
- Sun Spalna
- Judgment Lucifer (demon form)
- Aeon Nidhog
- Aeon Atabak

> Weapon Fusion
Now you can use your Persona to fuse weapon.
Some Persona will become special weapon (like Judgment Lucifer > Holy Grail Lucifer)

> Equipments
New equipments in Yourself as well as Aegis story.
Costume change for specific ones (e.g High-cut armor etc.)
Some Aegis equipments have name changed.

> Quest
Total quests are now 99 (from 55)
You can date with Elizabeth as a part of request (with voice) - which does not spend time.
Once you have done all the dating request, you can ask her out any time.

> Dorm
You can check out secret camera - which will record event at specific day - in Operation room.
Also you can take Koromaru to walk.
[/quote]

[quote name='chair_home']Yay, that means I can advance a bit if I want on P3 and import this stuff into my new save. I probably won't finish P3 and just finish up FES though. Atlus is awesome.[/quote]

pretty sure you have to BEAT Persona 3 for the sava data file to load this information in... not 100% sure though

Hmm actually from their wording you MIGHT be able to. Its pretty vague. The context implies that you can load sava data midway thru.

a new version of a game..complete with extras, for less than the cost of the original. That may be MSRP, but it is a deal.

it's not a deal until he has information in the post showing where you can buy it at less than retail. This belongs in the specific console discussion, or deal discussion. Not here.

So it does include the original game that's going for big bucks? The atlus email I got was kind of confusing is all. And yes, this should be brought up in this forum so people know about the upcoming deal. Some people might mistakenly buy the original overpriced version with this thread was not here.

[quote name='hohez']a new version of a game..complete with extras, for less than the cost of the original. That may be MSRP, but it is a deal.[/QUOTE]

It may be interesting and may include extra content, but at MSRP it is not a deal. (the only deals at or above MSRP are rare games) This is better suited for the VG discussions area and not here.

[quote name='cokerules']where do u find this info. also where can i get persona 1 for less than $50. its an old ass game but its so pricey justr because of fanboys who wont give up they copeys. i have persona 2 and 3 and im hooked!!1[/quote]

P1 for under $50? It was one of the first PS1 RPGs...so, not very likely. Use ebay, amazon, half.com...or just be lucky if you find it at a yard sale.

EDIT
Here's one going for $30 and it ends in 10 hours
http://cgi.ebay.com/Persona-Playsta...ryZ62053QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Does anyone think that a sealed copy of the original with the art book and cd would still be worth anything?
And is this FES version 2 discs or both games on 1 disc?
Will they sell the expansion seperately?
It sucks for those sitting on a sealed copy that will soon be worth nothing.

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
Dear Atlus Faithful,
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Ok, we give up. The rumors were true. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Persona 3 FES is coming to North America! [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Months of trying to keep FES a secret are now behind us (which means all of us here can reflect on just how futile an effort that was).[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]So what's the big deal about Persona 3 FES? "FES" is short for "Festival," and in Japan, FES was released as a reward for gamers who picked up the original. Not only does the new FES content enhance the original game, but the new FES component is actually a game in and of itself, accessible right from the get-go. We think of it as two games on one disc. It is the definitive Persona 3 experience.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]We will be releasing the stand-alone version of FES. There was of course the option of just releasing the "Append" disc (which would have required ownership of the original game), but in the end, we didn't want you to have to own anything else to enjoy the experience.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]We'll have a ton more updates going out for FES soon, telling you about the extra features, content, and modes for you to enjoy. Thanks for being patient. We're glad you stuck around. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Oh, and we decided to set the suggested retail for FES at $29.99, just for the heck of it. Thanks for continuing to support us, Atlus Faithful![/FONT]

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Sincerely,[/FONT]
atlusaramsig_white.gif

The E-mail, verbatim.

I'm not 100% sure that it is the original game AND the new content, it kind of sounds like a stand along disc with just new content (Though I haven't played P3/ Reserached FES, perhaps I missed something).

Excellent news, I was dreading either $50s for both games or $30 without the original. Now I don't need to pay much and I can keep my original sealed.

The lack of artbook type stuff (it's a safe assumption it wouldn't be included) should also keep the price of the original up pretty high (if only Atlus could do this with more games).

[quote name='aznguyen316']welp time to sell my Special Ed. lol![/quote]

The artbook and cd my still hold some value since it is LE and the original printing.

[quote name='Brian9824']pretty sure you have to BEAT Persona 3 for the sava data file to load this information in... not 100% sure though

Hmm actually from their wording you MIGHT be able to. Its pretty vague. The context implies that you can load sava data midway thru.[/quote]

I'm thinking any save will work wether it's a clear data save or not. An admin at the ATLUS forums mentioned something but wasn't specifically clear. The only thing of value that makes me think you can is where he mentioned "It treats it as any other Persona 3 save and everything listed in the F.A.Q. will carry over." or something to that effect. Damn page randomly closed out on me when I was trying to copy the url for some strange reason and now I'm too lazy to go back. ~_~

[quote name='JMClarkent']

The E-mail, verbatim.

I'm not 100% sure that it is the original game AND the new content, it kind of sounds like a stand along disc with just new content (Though I haven't played P3/ Reserached FES, perhaps I missed something).
[/quote]

I read this quote
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]We will be releasing the stand-alone version of FES. There was of course the option of just releasing the "Append" disc (which would have required ownership of the original game), but in the end, we didn't want you to have to own anything else to enjoy the experience.

That tells me they thought about releasing it as an append version but decided to release FEW and the original on the same disc. Meaning ownership of the original Persona 3 is not needed.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[quote name='EvilIA']I read this quote

That tells me they thought about releasing it as an append version but decided to release FEW and the original on the same disc. Meaning ownership of the original Persona 3 is not needed.
[/color][/font][/size] [/color][/font][/quote]

exactly

[quote name='cokerules']if this is expansion pack then of course u will need the 1st disc... on pc if u get expansion it wont work without original. but i already have 1st one so i dont have no reason to fear.[/quote]

okay? it says its stand-alone...so why even worry about it?

[quote name='EvilIA']
[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] [/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

But is it pointless ?

[quote name='Bojizzle']Does anyone think that a sealed copy of the original with the art book and cd would still be worth anything?
And is this FES version 2 discs or both games on 1 disc?
Will they sell the expansion seperately?
It sucks for those sitting on a sealed copy that will soon be worth nothing.[/QUOTE]

Anyone buying video games expeting them to increase in price is gambling big time. That being said I still have my P3 sealed but only because I have not had time to play it yet.

[quote name='Bojizzle']It sucks for those sitting on a sealed copy that will soon be worth nothing.[/quote]

I may be wrong, but it doesn't seem that Atlus gives a fuck about your secondary collectibles market. It appears that they actually cater to gamers that play their games and enjoy them, who would benefit from the release of the expansion pack, or those that have been unable to find the original, due to hoarding.

[quote name='groundskeeper']Anyone buying video games expeting them to increase in price is gambling big time. That being said I still have my P3 sealed but only because I have not had time to play it yet.[/quote]

well, you figure with SMT games, they will go up in price...and in this case, the original still might. Just watch ebay flood with these copies in the next few weeks. Some will think they NEED to get rid of it. Hell, I'll buy FES even though I own the original, and I'll keep both.

[quote name='groundskeeper']Anyone buying video games expeting them to increase in price is gambling big time. That being said I still have my P3 sealed but only because I have not had time to play it yet.[/quote]

I kept my copy of Magna Carta sealed after I heard how awful it was. Too bad it's not worth anything. :/

[quote name='laaj']Why would that make you mad? Next school shooter right here folks. J/K :p[/QUOTE]

Haha, because I would've waited if I had known FES would have included P3 *plus* drop in price compared to the original, which everyone else that didn't get the game is now able to do. But I don't care, I consider P3 one of the few games actually worth the price of the original, and I'll *gladly* pay another $30 for more content, even though I haven't even finished the first one.

I'm not sure why most of you think you get the original. Stand alone implies that you won't be required to have the previous version to play new content, but it does not imply that you will get access to the previous version/content.

Could the original be included in this? Absolutely. Does the email posted guarantee it will be? Most definitely not.

[quote name='Ryukahn']I'm not sure why most of you think you get the original. Stand alone implies that you won't be required to have the previous version to play new content, but it does not imply that you will get access to the previous version/content.

Could the original be included in this? Absolutely. Does the email posted guarantee it will be? Most definitely not.[/quote]

you know, i never thought about that...

Why give up the collector's edition w/ artbook and soundtrack for a budget rerelease with added content?

It won't have extras, I would just keep the box set sealed if I hadn't played it already.

I'm picking this up on day 1 though.

I can see the original plus the seperate add-on disc being worth a pretty penny some day. The FES bundle probably won't be worth that much in the future, unless they both go out of print.

Experience the definitive cut of 2007s award-winning Persona 3, which
garnered tons of critical acclaim and the adulation of a devoted fanbase.
Packaged together with a brand new episode, the set provides 120-plus hours
of gameplay at a suggested retail price of $29.99.

It includes Persona 3.
P.S. MSRP and Not Up for Sale = Not a deal x 2

[quote name='Ryukahn']I'm not sure why most of you think you get the original. Stand alone implies that you won't be required to have the previous version to play new content, but it does not imply that you will get access to the previous version/content.

Could the original be included in this? Absolutely. Does the email posted guarantee it will be? Most definitely not.[/QUOTE]

Its the full version of the original.

2. What's new in FES?

Persona 3 FES is divided into two parts. The first and longest part is The Journey, which consists of an enhanced version of the same game previously released. The enhancements include a new Hard Mode selectable from the start, new Personas, a new Social Link with new Arcana, new classroom pop quizzes, a new Weapon Fusion system, over 50 new requests from Elizabeth, new nighttime events with Koromaru, and a few secrets as well.

http://www.atlus.com/new_forum/viewtopic.php?t=674

Could the original be included in this? Absolutely. Does the email posted guarantee it will be? Most definitely not.[/QUOTE]

because in Japan FES includes the director's cut verison of Persona 3. Unless Atlus USA want to cut that out for some reason.

This is from the FES FAQ on the Atlus site:

http://www.atlus.com/new_forum/viewtopic.php?t=674

4. Which version are we getting here?

The only version being released in the U.S. on April 22 is the Full version of Persona 3 FES. It will contain all of the content in both The Journey and the Answer, and it will not require ownership of the original release of Persona 3.

For the complainers:

5a. I already own Persona 3 and I don't think it's fair that new players get to have FES for $29.99.

That's not really a question, but... Atlus USA does appreciate your support of the original version of P3, but multiple releases of the same game are unfeasible for various reasons in the U.S. For this reason, we have priced the sole version of FES at roughly what the Append disc would have cost. This way, players who already own the original release don't have to pay the same amount again for the extra content. In addition to having had the chance to experience Persona 3 much earlier than newcomers to the game, they will also have the Special Edition's art book and soundtrack, which will not be included in the release of P3 FES.

In addition, this pricing structure is increasingly the accepted method for enhanced re-releases. See also Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams, Virtua Fighter 4 Remix, Ninja Gaiden Black, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition, and so on, all of which were released at $19.99 or $29.99 price points.

Read it again. The director's cut of the original game is included.

Put me down for one and I'll use up what's left on the giftcard from Toys R Us when they had the SMG promotion (assuming they get copies) to alleviate the cost.

[quote name='Bojizzle']I can see the original plus the seperate add-on disc being worth a pretty penny some day. The FES bundle probably won't be worth that much in the future, unless they both go out of print.[/QUOTE]

Its atlus, of course it will

bread's done
Back