The - PERSONA 3 / PERSONA 3 FES - Thread! (FES OUT NOW! $30!)

[quote name='Rodimus']Should've said, "I'd love to play a translated version on my TV." I can't stand to play games on my computer. I'd settle for a portable version also.

Playing P3 is a good start for Nocturne. They share many basic elements. But if you plan to do everything in Nocturne (get Dante, beat all the fiends & the real final boss) it truly is a greater challenge than Persona 3.[/QUOTE]

How much did nocturne last you? how many run throughs?

[quote name='ihavenolife123']How much did nocturne last you? how many run throughs?[/quote]

I only did one play-through, but I started up a new game+ on Hard. I go back to it every now and then, when I have nothing else to play. I rarely beat an RPG twice. How about you?

I just had a pretty bad experience with the game. I had been playing for about 45 minutes and found a rare chest with high-armor for Yukari, but then, when I was one friggin' step away from the warp back point, an enemy hit me. Since they hit me they started the battle, and did some attack that made me weak and I kept losing my turn until I was killed and I didn't even get a chance to do anything. I had near full health when I started the battle too. It was the most aggravating shit ever.

I'm also stuck at the boss on level 34 or 35. I'm at lvl 12 and I keep getting him down to about 10-15% health, but then he'll pull out some cheap attack and I'll die. I think I need to grind a bit more, but I only have 3 more days before the second full moon.

I'm interested in the game's story and the art style is great, but experiences like this really sour me on the game and jrpgs on the whole. Would people say the game gets better and I should keep playing, or will it only get harder and more aggravating from here on out and I should give up now rather than later?

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']I'm interested in the game's story and the art style is great, but experiences like this really sour me on the game and jrpgs on the whole. Would people say the game gets better and I should keep playing, or will it only get harder and more aggravating from here on out and I should give up now rather than later?[/quote]

You're playing P3 for the story? There's not exactly what I'd call "much to it."

[quote name='Vegan']You're playing P3 for the story? There's not exactly what I'd call "much to it."[/quote]

P3 had an excellent story with some fun twists.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre'] Would people say the game gets better and I should keep playing, or will it only get harder and more aggravating from here on out and I should give up now rather than later?[/QUOTE]

Definitely stick with it. I went through a period like that, but after a certain point battles become almost ridiculously easy.

[quote name='Vegan']You're playing P3 for the story? There's not exactly what I'd call "much to it."[/quote]

I have to agree. The story was okay, and as for the "twist" mentioned above I saw it coming a mile away. I thought the most intresting points of the story were the character interaction scenes, like when they go on vacation to the hot springs. I really liked all the characters. With that said it does have a better plot than most JRPGs, but I owe that to the modern setting. Just cause it's different.

I didnt really expect a twist...

especially since playing Fes, you get to see this:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e6_enF2wTg[/media]

ground beef!!!!

and while I'm at it... more hilarity!!

Fes esclusive Hermit S.Link ending:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4VGKeE_h6s[/media]

edit: ahahahahaha...

I watched sum of the other vids and they called the main character WOMBAT-kun and stuff...

kinda like Wombat from CAG I guess... but I thought it was just coincidence...

but I'm watching this Hermit one now, and the main dood's surname is CHEAPYD

lol

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']I'm interested in the game's story and the art style is great, but experiences like this really sour me on the game and jrpgs on the whole. Would people say the game gets better and I should keep playing, or will it only get harder and more aggravating from here on out and I should give up now rather than later?[/quote]
It gets a tad easier but not by much, you'll still get hit by random crap for the game over.

It's not as grindy as you might not think. Most of my grinding has been for Elizabeth's requests, or to get Personas off the shuffle to fuse. In the beginning I fused a 4-element Lilim, then I jacked it up with stat mods, put it in the Compendium, and use it as a base for a lot of fusions so that they're relatively strong. I actually don't level my Personas often; I rely on S.Links to give me any additional levels I need.

The only real advice I can give you is to work on S.Links all the time during the daytime, and work on one stat a time (Courage / Charm / Academics) at night, preferably in that order.

[quote name='kainzero']The only real advice I can give you is to work on S.Links all the time during the daytime, and work on one stat a time (Courage / Charm / Academics) at night, preferably in that order.[/QUOTE]yah I love how I cant figure that out until I'm like in September... and by then all my focus is on Yukari / Mitsuru / Fuuka

other than those 3, NONE of my classmate S Links were maxed coz I was always doing wild duck n shyt... they were all lvl 5-7

but I maxed everything outside of school

[quote name='JEKKI']yah I love how I cant figure that out until I'm like in September... and by then all my focus is on Yukari / Mitsuru / Fuuka

other than those 3, NONE of my classmate S Links were maxed coz I was always doing wild duck n shyt... they were all lvl 5-7

but I maxed everything outside of school[/quote]
i was feeling lazy and angry, so i imported my unfinished P3 data and i didn't have to.

but wow, what a difference it makes. i didn't even know you could karaoke at night in the original, that would've helped boost courage a lot.

the first time i played, i was like, yea, i wanna boost academics so that i can go out with mitsuru! but then it didn't do crap so i was wayyyyy behind on s.links. then i went out with yukari and i was like... are you serious? this is a date? this isn't hot at all! i think in the original i finished hanged man, justice, and sun... and i was in october. now i'm in july, i just finished up hermit, magician is at 7, yuko is at 8, hierophant 9, chariot 8, priestess 3, moon 1, fortune 2, emperor 5, temperance 3, hanged man 3, devil 8, tower 6. feels much better =)

Was going to buy this today, but on the way to the mall it was raining and heading north out of Boston on Friday afternoon == murder. So I went to Walmart and bought a Subway sub and ate it.

And wished I had this instead.

When or if will this game drop in price, I realize it came out in April, will it reach 20$ by the holidays?

I would pick it up, but i've got some other games to play before then so I might as well wait, unless the price isn't going to go anywhere I might as well, thoughts?

[quote name='DesrucLous']When or if will this game drop in price, I realize it came out in April, will it reach 20$ by the holidays?[/quote]

Knowing Atlus games it may not drop in price at all. I'd hurry and get it now for $30 before if becomes difficult to find them.

[quote name='Rodimus']Knowing Atlus games it may not drop in price at all. I'd hurry and get it now for $30 before if becomes difficult to find them.[/quote]

That is, until the success of Persona 4 spurs another reprint craze. ;)

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Still shocked that
you get that dog in your party
......so weird.[/QUOTE]whaaaaaat?!?!?! Shadow Hearts Covenant!!

also this is how you should max out your stats; I read it when I began playing the game but I did not really understand it, nor did I get the intuition behind it...

of course now it makes total sense...

i) At the beginning: Max Courage
Mon: Karaoke + Study
Tue: Virtual Horror at game center (3,000 yen) + Study
Wed: Karaoke + Study
Thu: Karaoke + Study
Fri: Virtual Horror at game center (3,000 yen) + Study
Sat: Coffee + Study
Sun: Karaoke + Study
If need to visit Tartarus, do it on Sat

ii) When Courage is maxed: Max Charm
Mon: Photo Sticker at game center (1,500 yen) + Study
Tue: Coffee + Study
Wed: Coffee + Study
Thu: Photo Sticker at game center (1,500 yen) + Study
Fri: Coffee + Study
Sat: Coffee + Study
Sun: Coffee + Study
If need to visit Tartarus, do it on Tue, Wed, Fri, Sat, or Sun

iii) When Charm is maxed: Max Academic
Mon: Study
Tue: Study
Wed: Quiz at game center (3,000 yen) + Study
Thu: Study
Fri: Study
Sat: Quiz at game center (3,000 yen) + Study
Sun: Study
If need to visit Tartarus, do it on Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri, or Sun

[quote name='thelonepig']That is, until the success of Persona 4 spurs another reprint craze. ;)[/quote]

When does Atlus reprint anything especially SMT games? If anything P4 would increse intrest as well as price.

[quote name='Rodimus']When does Atlus reprint anything especially SMT games? If anything P4 would increse intrest as well as price.[/quote]

Um... since there was a reprint of DDS1 and Nocturne less than a month ago? Persona 2 was also the recipient of a reprint several years ago. Disgaea had a huge reprint, albeit partially due to NISA.

[quote name='thelonepig']Um... since there was a reprint of DDS1 and Nocturne less than a month ago? Persona 2 was also the recipient of a reprint several years ago. Disgaea had a huge reprint, albeit partially due to NISA.[/quote]

I didn't know they reprinted DDS1 & Nocturne. What's the MSRP? Did they drop?

[quote name='Rodimus']I didn't know they reprinted DDS1 & Nocturne. What's the MSRP? Did they drop?[/quote]

Heh, you wish. Some games will never be cheap.

[quote name='Vegan']Heh, you wish. Some games will never be cheap.[/quote]

Then honestly what's the point of a reprint? Too bad cause I've been meaning to pick up DDS1 just for my collection.

[quote name='Rodimus']Then honestly what's the point of a reprint? Too bad cause I've been meaning to pick up DDS1 just for my collection.[/quote]

This is an odd reprint because the price fluctuates everywhere. Both games are $40 at EB/GS. Amazon has Nocturne in and out of stock for $40.

...I'm surprised no one's talking about Mara, one of the new FES Personas. Posting a picture of it is probably banworthy, but "mara persona 3" in google image search ought to do the job. It is not safe for work.

[quote name='pete5883']...I'm surprised no one's talking about Mara, one of the new FES Personas. Posting a picture of it is probably banworthy, but "mara persona 3" in google image search ought to do the job. It is not safe for work.[/quote]

You could just say that it's
a giant phallus in a wheelchair

I'm in May right now, and was wondering if I should still start that cycle that thelonepig just posted.
I got the Magician s link high from kenji already, and now I was going to be friends with the gourmet king, but am not sure if that's the best thing to do in the game.

Go ahead and become friends with the fatty, it wouldn't hurt you. If you find his s link useless you can just ignore him later with no repercussions.

Even though I've had this since release I am only now getting to the end of June. This game is really addictive. To bad I only have time on the weekends to play. I still haven't recruited that robot girl that's on the cover. At least, I assume she joins my party.

I really like the idea of having social links that raise the level of your persona instead of grinding like in typical RPGs. Grinding is part of the reason I've stopped playing RPGs as much as I use to.

[quote name='cletus']Go ahead and become friends with the fatty, it wouldn't hurt you. If you find his s link useless you can just ignore him later with no repercussions.

Even though I've had this since release I am only now getting to the end of June. This game is really addictive. To bad I only have time on the weekends to play. I still haven't recruited that robot girl that's on the cover. At least, I assume she joins my party.

I really like the idea of having social links that raise the level of your persona instead of grinding like in typical RPGs. Grinding is part of the reason I've stopped playing RPGs as much as I use to.[/quote]

you may want to skip fes then if you don't like grinding...

[quote name='pete5883']I don't think there is a good way, but it's a total waste to up your stats. You're much better off fusing higher level persona as soon as you can.[/quote]
i dunno...

right now I'm level 31, and I have a level 24 Mithra with 3 element spells and Hama with higher stats than my level 35 ones. i only splurged once on cards, and all my other levelling was primarily through arcade because i maxed out my stats and night s.links.

the only bummer is that it costs 89k to purchase from the compendium, i think it's the second-most expensive persona in there. the first being a level 75 Aeon that i dunno how it got in there when i imported my old P3 data.

[quote name='cletus']Go ahead and become friends with the fatty, it wouldn't hurt you. If you find his s link useless you can just ignore him later with no repercussions.

I really like the idea of having social links that raise the level of your persona instead of grinding like in typical RPGs. Grinding is part of the reason I've stopped playing RPGs as much as I use to.[/quote] Thanks. ^_^

One more question:
What should I do on days with no school?
I've been playing the MMO, but don't know if that's the right thing to do...

Use days off to do any links not at school, MMO, hanged man, star, the old people at the bookstore, etc. I unfortunately wasted a few school days with some of these and I'll be stuck without a few complete at the end (Stupid winter vacation)

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']I just had a pretty bad experience with the game. I had been playing for about 45 minutes and found a rare chest with high-armor for Yukari, but then, when I was one friggin' step away from the warp back point, an enemy hit me. Since they hit me they started the battle, and did some attack that made me weak and I kept losing my turn until I was killed and I didn't even get a chance to do anything. I had near full health when I started the battle too. It was the most aggravating shit ever.

I'm also stuck at the boss on level 34 or 35. I'm at lvl 12 and I keep getting him down to about 10-15% health, but then he'll pull out some cheap attack and I'll die. I think I need to grind a bit more, but I only have 3 more days before the second full moon.

I'm interested in the game's story and the art style is great, but experiences like this really sour me on the game and jrpgs on the whole. Would people say the game gets better and I should keep playing, or will it only get harder and more aggravating from here on out and I should give up now rather than later?[/QUOTE]

I'm almost at the exact same spot -- lvl 12, on the 27th or 28th floor -- and I just got killed about two feet from the warp back, losing some seemingly impossible to replicate Persona skill evolutions. This is the most I've enjoyed a JRPG in years, but stuff like that is so arbitrary, the time in Tartarus is more a chore than anything. The AI for the other party members is generally pretty good, but actually being able to control *exactly* what they do in a pinch might lessen some of the frustration. I'm not sure I would have picked it up if anyone had explained it was the bastard child of a roguelike and a Japanese relationship sim.

I'm finding that Kouli's FAQ is reverse helpful as far as bosses in The Answer go. GameFAQs forums have been much more helpful, Kouli generally advises doing the opposite of what ends up working.

[quote name='trq']I'm almost at the exact same spot -- lvl 12, on the 27th or 28th floor -- and I just got killed about two feet from the warp back, losing some seemingly impossible to replicate Persona skill evolutions. This is the most I've enjoyed a JRPG in years, but stuff like that is so arbitrary, the time in Tartarus is more a chore than anything. The AI for the other party members is generally pretty good, but actually being able to control *exactly* what they do in a pinch might lessen some of the frustration. I'm not sure I would have picked it up if anyone had explained it was the bastard child of a roguelike and a Japanese relationship sim.[/quote]

The constant hit by weakness sucks, as does getting KO'd by a mudo or hama skill.

[quote name='pete5883']I'm finding that Kouli's FAQ is reverse helpful as far as bosses in The Answer go. GameFAQs forums have been much more helpful, Kouli generally advises doing the opposite of what ends up working.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, unfortunately his boss guides for The Answer kinda suck. Hopefully another guide pops up soon.

[quote name='trq']I'm almost at the exact same spot -- lvl 12, on the 27th or 28th floor -- and I just got killed about two feet from the warp back, losing some seemingly impossible to replicate Persona skill evolutions. This is the most I've enjoyed a JRPG in years, but stuff like that is so arbitrary, the time in Tartarus is more a chore than anything. The AI for the other party members is generally pretty good, but actually being able to control *exactly* what they do in a pinch might lessen some of the frustration. I'm not sure I would have picked it up if anyone had explained it was the bastard child of a roguelike and a Japanese relationship sim.[/QUOTE]

Yes, officially, fuck this game.

Note to developers: after twenty minutes of cut-scenes, which are still plenty long if you taptaptap your way through them, DO NOT drop the player into combat at a massive disadvantage (oh, say, no other party members...) WITHOUT a GODDAMN save point, so that they have to sit through the whole tedious ordeal again if they should die.

That shit's just bad design, plain and simple.

[quote name='trq']
Note to developers: after twenty minutes of cut-scenes, which are still plenty long if you taptaptap your way through them, DO NOT drop the player into combat at a massive disadvantage (oh, say, no other party members...) WITHOUT a GODDAMN save point[/QUOTE]

When is this exact situation EVER done in this game? Oh right, never.

crybaby.png

[quote name='trq']Yes, officially, fuck this game.

Note to developers: after twenty minutes of cut-scenes, which are still plenty long if you taptaptap your way through them, DO NOT drop the player into combat at a massive disadvantage (oh, say, no other party members...) WITHOUT a GODDAMN save point, so that they have to sit through the whole tedious ordeal again if they should die.

That shit's just bad design, plain and simple.[/quote]

Huh?

[quote name='Dead of Knight']When is this exact situation EVER done in this game? Oh right, never.[/quote]

There are a few spots - most notably on full moon nights. I never found it long enough to be worrisome, but I can see his point. I'm trying to recall when you don't have any other party members though...

[quote name='thelonepig']There are a few spots - most notably on full moon nights. I never found it long enough to be worrisome, but I can see his point. I'm trying to recall when you don't have any other party members though...[/QUOTE]

None of the full moon fights are very challenging, and you have a full party, and you certainly do not have any massive disadvantages. And the only time I can personally remember not having any other party members is in the Answer, but that fight is also a joke. Thus, I have no idea what he is talking about.

As soon as you get a persona that is null to mudo/hama or you get some homonculi (pl of homonculus?) then those skills will be nothing more than a nuisance to have to revive your teammates when they succumb to it. The only time you should really die in this game is when the enemy sneaks up on you and gets an advantage or the first time you are fighting an enemy and don't know their weakness/stats. Does it suck to get killed in one hit? Yes. But it's part of the game and once you know how to get around it it's no longer a problem.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']None of the full moon fights are very challenging, and you have a full party, and you certainly do not have any massive disadvantages. And the only time I can personally remember not having any other party members is in the Answer, but that fight is also a joke. Thus, I have no idea what he is talking about.[/quote]

Oh, I completely agree with you that the fights are typically very easy. I think I died twice over the course of my first time through. Considering the difficulty hype over the last few pages of this thread, I figured I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. Having not made it into The Answer yet, I can't comment there and like you, I can't think of a single instance where I was at a severe disadvantage after a long dialogue.

---

It's been discussed before, but the easiest way to make it through this game is to be patient and watch your map. Always ambush the shadows and always take advantage of their elemental weakness. Even boss fights are easy if you can do that.

I guess if you haven't been visiting Tartarus all month you're at a disadvantage, and if you don't know you can hold triangle to skip dialog, it will feel like 20 minutes.

Had an epic boss fight in Judecca. The 2 underlings "Last Resort"ed themselves to death, and got the tank down to one hit but foolishly tried to hit his weakness instead of just smacking him dead. Of course he avoided his weakness, and on his next turn summoned one of the underlings again, at full health. Made the fight take another 5 minutes, and had to waste a Soma. Lesson learned.

Edit: Regarding the game progress of the Answer:
After I beat the 7 doors, do I just have 3 fights against the team, and then 1 last boss fight? No new dungeons after that right?

Just opened up FES today and only played about 30 mins of it (mostly cut scenes). I am sorry to ask, but I remember reading somewhere that if you go to tartarus on a full moon day, your characters will not get tired at all no matter how long you are in there for, is this true?

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Just opened up FES today and only played about 30 mins of it (mostly cut scenes). I am sorry to ask, but I remember reading somewhere that if you go to tartarus on a full moon day, your characters will not get tired at all no matter how long you are in there for, is this true?[/quote]

It's on the night before the full moon and that is correct. It's really a good mechanic. The game also will not allow you to save on a day with a full moon, so it basically saves you from getting stuck on a boss as you can always go in to Tartarus to grind if needed.

bread's done
Back