The - PERSONA 3 / PERSONA 3 FES - Thread! (FES OUT NOW! $30!)

[quote name='pete5883']I guess if you haven't been visiting Tartarus all month you're at a disadvantage, and if you don't know you can hold triangle to skip dialog, it will feel like 20 minutes.

Edit: Regarding the game progress of the Answer:
After I beat the 7 doors, do I just have 3 fights against the team, and then 1 last boss fight? No new dungeons after that right?
[/QUOTE]

You have to be a dumbass if you don't go to the max level in Tartarus you can reach in that month. It's not very hard to do, and it pretty much ensures you're at a good level for the next full moon, unless you run from everything and somehow manage to beat the boss anyway.

Regarding your spoiler, as far as I know, yes, but I haven't beat the Answer yet so I can't confirm.

[quote name='thelonepig']There are a few spots - most notably on full moon nights. I never found it long enough to be worrisome, but I can see his point. I'm trying to recall when you don't have any other party members though...[/quote]
second full moon,
when you meet fuuka. you get stuck in a random floor in tartarus without your teammates.

[quote name='kainzero']second full moon,
when you meet fuuka. you get stuck in a random floor in tartarus without your teammates.
[/QUOTE]

Bingo. Eventually I slipped through the three floors of enemies undetected and met up with the rest of the party, but the first two times through I got caught and by yourself, the fights are pretty much a death sentence.

And yes, the whole
"talk to the teacher, have another talk about how to get into Tartarus, have another talk about how to get into the school, have another talk about who's going to search what area, have the bit with the security guard and finding the key to the gym, have another talk about not being able to communicate with the team inside, have a cut-scene of the schoolgirl back at the dorm, have another talk with Pharos"
is over twenty minutes long, and I was skipping the dialog. I didn't know about the triangle button, though, so that might have helped -- I'll remember that for next time the devs neglect to toss a save point in at after a reasonable interval.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']When is this exact situation EVER done in this game? Oh right, never.[/QUOTE]

And how often do you know what you're talking about? Same answer, apparently.

[quote name='pete5883']I thought they removed that in FES, so that it is possible to be tired on a full moon night?[/quote]

I have had people get tired the night before a full moon, but they didn't leave so you can still keep grinding. I also think status gets better for the full moon no matter what you do the night before (not positive about that)

I just got this yesterday and played my first 3 hours today. I just joined an athletic team.
My question is what should I be focusing on since this is my first ever time playing Persona 3? Should I focus on Social links? Stat building? Try to mix both? What about fusing Persona, should I get rid of Persona to fuse them ASAP, or wait? How does the time work with the one year thing, is the game just plain over in one school year? Sorry, lots of questions, just looking to set myself up so I don't have a miserable end-game.

Mix up how you spend your time. Pick a few Social Links a concentrate on them. Courage & Charm level up faster than Acedemics so keep that in mind. Unless you get nuts oon Acedemics you probably won't have it maxed out till near the end of the game.

As for Personas try to fuse them with as high as a level as you can and make sure they have some unique/good skills. A good tactic is to have a persona that can do each of the elemental attacks (Wind, Fire, Ice, etc..) That might be hard to keep at all times but at least have a decent varity. Near the begining I think most eneimes have either a Fire or Ice weakness.

[quote name='cdietschrun']I just got this yesterday and played my first 3 hours today. I just joined an athletic team.
My question is what should I be focusing on since this is my first ever time playing Persona 3? Should I focus on Social links? Stat building? Try to mix both? What about fusing Persona, should I get rid of Persona to fuse them ASAP, or wait? How does the time work with the one year thing, is the game just plain over in one school year? Sorry, lots of questions, just looking to set myself up so I don't have a miserable end-game.[/quote]
In the daytime, do social links. At night, build stats.
I fuse ASAP unless I have some randomly buffed Persona. Levelling Persona takes too much time.

I highly recommend the use of a social link guide. It's really hard to tell which conversation choice is right and I don't like the difficulty of the game being determined by "Yes, I like cookies" or "What kind of cookies are those?"

Chihiro!!

ad1926be546c3c092d06408890873e22.jpg
4198cf91bbf32bb00db3477f44fdf288.jpg

[quote name='Moxio']Chihiro sucks ass. I was glad to be done with her shitty relationship. :nottalking:[/quote]

I like the shy, quiet, & little nerdy types.

[quote name='trq']Bingo. Eventually I slipped through the three floors of enemies undetected and met up with the rest of the party, but the first two times through I got caught and by yourself, the fights are pretty much a death sentence.

And how often do you know what you're talking about? Same answer, apparently.[/QUOTE]

You're supposed to ENGAGE THE ENEMIES so they DON'T sneak up on you. If you get the initiative, you can RUN AWAY ON THE FIRST TURN WITH 100% ACCURACY. Thus, having no party members and not saving isn't a problem, unless you suck at playing, which, from your overly whiny comments, seems to be correct. Thus, YOU don't know what you're talking about.

Haha DoK is correct. Persona 3 is basically this later on: get the initiative or run. Seriously, getting surprised later on is AWFUL.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']You're supposed to ENGAGE THE ENEMIES so they DON'T sneak up on you. If you get the initiative, you can RUN AWAY ON THE FIRST TURN WITH 100% ACCURACY. Thus, having no party members and not saving isn't a problem, unless you suck at playing, which, from your overly whiny comments, seems to be correct.[/QUOTE]

Gee, I'm *so far* into the game by the second full moon, I can't imagine why I didn't immediately think of "engage, but flee" as a better alternative to "just kill the enemies" and "don't get caught in the first place." Oh, hey, you know what would help out with that arbitrary bit of trial and error? Say it with me: save points more than every half hour.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Thus, YOU don't know what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

Except I wasn't the one who thought I was hot shit, laying down the law with "that NEVER happens." I get the "super bitch" schtick; I can respect that. But you were flat-out wrong, and you need to actually be right if you're going to try to act superior. So give it a rest, sweetheart.

[quote name='Moxio']Haha DoK is correct. Persona 3 is basically this later on: get the initiative or run. Seriously, getting surprised later on is AWFUL.[/QUOTE]

Well, forewarned is forearmed, I suppose.

Jekki where did you get these pictures? I've been looking for P3 images but haven't found many good ones.

[quote name='JEKKI']Chihiro!!

ad1926be546c3c092d06408890873e22.jpg
4198cf91bbf32bb00db3477f44fdf288.jpg
[/quote]

[quote name='trq']Gee, I'm *so far* into the game by the second full moon, I can't imagine why I didn't immediately think of "engage, but flee" as a better alternative to "just kill the enemies" and "don't get caught in the first place." Oh, hey, you know what would help out with that arbitrary bit of trial and error? Say it with me: save points more than every half hour.[/QUOTE]

Are you still stuck at that point, which I'm assuming is the Emperor and Empress fight? I had the same exact problem as you since I hate the random battles myself, and the idea of engaging enemies just to flee is ridiculous; if you had grinded your characters up, this would have been an easy fight, but otherwise, the Emperor can one-shot your main character, and of course, you would have to go through the 20 minutes of events again if you're not playing on easy.

For the record, I knew about skipping through dialogue by holding Triangle, and it's not any faster. It just relieves you from getting RSI by pressing X all the time.

I have 3 personas now (orpheus, pixie, and apsaras). Should I fuse them or wait till I get more personas. Also, lets say I fuse orpheus with pixie. I know I can get pixie back from the shuffle, but is orpheus lost forever?

[quote name='ZerotypeX']I have 3 personas now (orpheus, pixie, and apsaras). Should I fuse them or wait till I get more personas. Also, lets say I fuse orpheus with pixie. I know I can get pixie back from the shuffle, but is orpheus lost forever?[/quote]

As long as you register them before you fuse you can always buy them back, however you may be too early in the game for that. Hold on to them until that option opens up. It shouldn't be too far into the game.

[quote name='whitereflection']Are you still stuck at that point, which I'm assuming is the Emperor and Empress fight? I had the same exact problem as you since I hate the random battles myself, and the idea of engaging enemies just to flee is ridiculous; if you had grinded your characters up, this would have been an easy fight, but otherwise, the Emperor can one-shot your main character, and of course, you would have to go through the 20 minutes of events again if you're not playing on easy.

For the record, I knew about skipping through dialogue by holding Triangle, and it's not any faster. It just relieves you from getting RSI by pressing X all the time.[/QUOTE]

No, thankfully I made it past that spot. The shifting weaknesses were a bit of a pain, but since I slipped past all the "random" battles beforehand, I had full MP, and I just hammered them with magic as much as possible. It's not really a brick wall as far as difficulty goes, but the game loves to pile crits and weakness-targeted attacks on the main character sometimes, and it doesn't take much to draw a bad card in that respect. In a way, going though the cut-scenes a couple of times was kind of a boon, since I could test out how well the different conversation choices worked with Yuka-tan.

Stupid reaper, I come so close but then it gets me at the end. Mind charged megidolaon should not be allowed.

Edit: I beat it finally, but never accepted the request which means still no monad (I don't need the money)

So, FES includes both the full Persona 3 game, as well as the expansion, correct? I only ask because I bought it tonight on an impulse and trying to decide if i wanna play it or not, if its got full game, sure, if not, I may leave it sealed and not bother.

Finished the Answer just now. Tough, cheap, but do-able. Beat the last boss in 1 try, luckily, and kind of by accident. It isn't the 2-hour ordeal that the original game's end was. I enjoyed the game, but am glad I won't have to play another one of them for a while.

Kind of sad that there's a "plot twist" fact which is something I just assumed was true when I played the original,
shadows = personas.

Yup, the bosses in The Answer are cheap as hell, and it doesn't help that ally AI seems to be WORSE in The Answer (at least on the bosses), but it is doable, and I get a great sense of satisfaction when I finally get into a groove on a boss. And yes, the plot twist is weak shit, though I honestly wasn't expecting much.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Yup, the bosses in The Answer are cheap as hell, and it doesn't help that ally AI seems to be WORSE in The Answer (at least on the bosses), but it is doable, and I get a great sense of satisfaction when I finally get into a groove on a boss.[/QUOTE]
Agreed and agreed. I found myself yelling at Mitsuru a lot. One thing I really did like was
Yukari's breakdown. Your typical JRPG characters rarely go that nuts.

I'm still in May, and on the 3rd guardian in tartarus, which are those big box things.
They keep hitting 80-100 and I can only do 30-50 except with sonic punch which has bad accuracy on them.
What should I do to beat them?

[quote name='darkslime']I'm still in May, and on the 3rd guardian in tartarus, which are those big box things.
They keep hitting 80-100 and I can only do 30-50 except with sonic punch which has bad accuracy on them.
What should I do to beat them?[/quote]

My memory isn't perfect, but that may be the one that I realized I needed media, you can get it at a relatively low level on one of the hanged personas (inugami or something?). Then just heal and let the party attack.

I finally beat the journey today (I want to play MGS 2 and maybe 3 before the answer to determine if I want the MGS PS3 bundle or just a regular 40 gig). I would just like to say everyone should max the hermit S.link for the end even if you'll never use the personas (I doubt I did), it's hilarious.

[quote name='happy']My memory isn't perfect, but that may be the one that I realized I needed media, you can get it at a relatively low level on one of the hanged personas (inugami or something?). Then just heal and let the party attack.

I finally beat the journey today (I want to play MGS 2 and maybe 3 before the answer to determine if I want the MGS PS3 bundle or just a regular 40 gig). I would just like to say everyone should max the hermit S.link for the end even if you'll never use the personas (I doubt I did), it's hilarious.[/quote] Who do you have to talk to to get that slink for the hanged personas?

I thought using Cadenza with Apsaras and Orpheus was a much better tactic, because it restores more health and raises your evasion. It's super effective!

[quote name='darkslime']Who do you have to talk to to get that slink for the hanged personas?[/QUOTE]

You have to make friends with the 2nd grade girl at the park...just like in real life!

I have such a love hate relationship with this game. How many hours did it take you guys? They're saying 8 full moons left and I'm at 30 hours. It feels like it would take another 50 hours to beat this game and it's already so repetitive. otoh, I like the battles, story, and s.link convos.

Hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm It Took Me About 64 Hours Though That Includes Breaks That I Took. I Didn't Rush Through The Game, I Definitely Took My Time. But If You're At The 8 Moons Left Part Of The Game, Then It's About To Get Really Good.

I must be around 60 hours in Persona 3. And I'm in the last month of the game as we speak. So I'm going to guess I'll be at about 70 hours total when I finish up(maybe more since I'm going to be doing a little grinding to try and take on The Grim Reaper without using Armageddon or Thunder Call)

I think I was a bit over 80 hours total, although I tend to cook, eat or grade while playing games so you can probably knock a bit off of that. I also did beat the reaper without armageddon or thunder call, then went to monad for a while so I could grind to get the cool personas (messiah, helel, lucifer, etc.).

I wouldn't grind too much for the reaper, I was able to do it easily (on the 4th try) around lvl 75 because once you get to monad you'll gain a level every 2 fights which saves a lot of time (as opposed to trying to get armageddon for the reaper).

[quote name='happy']I would just like to say everyone should max the hermit S.link for the end even if you'll never use the personas (I doubt I did), it's hilarious.[/QUOTE]

That's Maya right? I've stopped hanging out with anyone or even leaving my room on Sundays just so I can play the MMORPG with her. I want to see what's gonna happen once I max the S.link. To bad I only have 1 day a week to dedicate to this.

I haven't played far enough yet to have to deal with this but what happens if you try to date more then 1 girl at a time? There are so many cute girls I can't decide on just one.

[quote name='cletus']That's Maya right? I've stopped hanging out with anyone or even leaving my room on Sundays just so I can play the MMORPG with her. I want to see what's gonna happen once I max the S.link. To bad I only have 1 day a week to dedicate to this.

I haven't played far enough yet to have to deal with this but what happens if you try to date more then 1 girl at a time? There are so many cute girls I can't decide on just one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the hermit one is Maya. That's one of the ones I've maxed. You can date more than one girl, but only up to a point on the s. link. After that they get mad if you see a different girl.

[quote name='happy']I would just like to say everyone should max the hermit S.link for the end even if you'll never use the personas (I doubt I did), it's hilarious.[/quote]
I actually just beat the game this morning and met Maya irl. While I saw that coming a mile away I didn't think I'd laugh that much at the whole thing. I just wish the whole scene was longer... I wish I didn't save over that file too, I want to rewacthed the whole thing.

[quote name='kainzero']i got in a fight

VILE ASSAULT on MC *critical*
VILE ASSAULT *dead*

please.
what a stupid battle system.[/quote]
It's perfectly fine. The system is just made to punish the people who aren't prepared for everything. Just 10 minutes ago I was slaughtered in a fight becuase I had the wrong persona equipped... fun times...

Beat The Answer today. The part where
everyone wants to fight Aigis
was beyond retarded. The final boss was surprisingly easy, only like level 72 and had zero problems. Most previous bosses were several times harder. Odin and Kohryu with Divine Grace are amazing.

I'd been using a Saki Mitama for approx. the whole game because it had Divine Grace. Cheap full heal + strong against fire, ice, and elec was nice.

I started playing the Answer yesterday. I'm a little annoyed that I no longer can register Personas... But not as annoyed as not getting any money from battles(other then Oracle Shuffles). It just makes the game harder for no reason...

[quote name='pete5883']I'd been using a Saki Mitama for approx. the whole game because it had Divine Grace. Cheap full heal + strong against fire, ice, and elec was nice.[/QUOTE]

I got it on Kohryu by fusing it with a Titania for Divine Grace and Mediarama. I also got one of the heart accessories that is essentially Divine Grace for Yukari. :lol:

Who did you all use in The Answer for your party? A little while in, I decided to just use Koro, Yukari, and Metis. Worked pretty well for me, especially since I got the heart accessories that null light (for Koro) and dark (for me, and with Kohryu I nulled light also). This was different than my strategy for the original (not FES), where I leveled everyone up equally.

I had Yukari, Metis, and Mitsuru because she had Surt's heart item which nulls fire, so I figured a character with no weaknesses and 2 Nulls was worth keeping. Brought Yukari along to heal but didn't let her heal since the AI isn't smart enough to heal all every turn. Used mostly Kohryu 'cause he's awesome.

Maybe this has been asked before but... does the AI in The Answer seem a little Dumber then it was in Persona 3? I ask this because I'm currently in a boss fight. 2 out of the 3 enemies are weak to wind based attack while the other reflects them. So it would only make sense to assign Yukari to attack one target to take it out faster and move on to the next, right? But instead of using Garu she uses Maguru and misses out on getting another attack. This is only one example of many I have run into so far while playing The Answer. Yeah, I know the AI in Persona 3 wasn't perfect. But it never drove me to punching a wall.

Probably more of a bug than dumb AI, but I also came across situations where I'd use "Assign Target", and the character would target all enemies instead of the one I told it to target.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Maybe this has been asked before but... does the AI in The Answer seem a little Dumber then it was in Persona 3? I ask this because I'm currently in a boss fight. 2 out of the 3 enemies are weak to wind based attack while the other reflects them. So it would only make sense to assign Yukari to attack one target to take it out faster and move on to the next, right? But instead of using Garu she uses Maguru and misses out on getting another attack. This is only one example of many I have run into so far while playing The Answer. Yeah, I know the AI in Persona 3 wasn't perfect. But it never drove me to punching a wall.[/QUOTE]

I think the AI in The Answer is dumber too. However, I haven't played the original since it first came out. Even so, I remember being pretty impressed with the AI in it and didn't have many complaints. The Answer's AI made me want to punch a wall many, many times.

I didn't really have any problems with the AI in Persona 3 until much later in the game. It usually involved the AI refusing to use multi-target attack spells on a group of enemies with the same weakness. Or they would just use a single person healing spell when the whole party needed to be healed...

I need to get back into playing The Answer again. I haven't touched it in a few weeks. How long did it take you guys to beat? I think I'm about 17 hours and probably a little bit more than halfway through.

bread's done
Back