The Post-Thanksgiving CAGcast Call-in extravaganza OTT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrible story.
Terrible characters.
Average, at best, voice acting.
One of the worst endings in recent memory.
Terrible framerate and other graphics/gameplay engine issues (I can't remember if it had v-sync issues or not, but it definitely had the trademark NT input lag).
Terrible combat.
Generic climbing & platforming.

I think about the best thing that can be said about Enslaved is that it has good facial animations.

Terrible story - what's terrible about it? It's based on an actual novel. I've been playing through it and it's better than most others I've seen.

Terrible characters/average voice acting - that's juts insane. The characters are awesome. They look great, the voice acting is top notch (and done by true professionals) and I actually give a crap about them. You're flat out wrong on this front.

Ending - haven't gotten there yet, so I can't comment.

Framerate, graphics, gameplay, combat - I'm not sure what game you played, but I have noticed any issues. It's not silky smooth, but it's certainly well above average.

Generic climbing & platforming - what's generic about it exactly? Some of the set-pieces were truly epic a la Uncharted.

I give you props for actually playing all the way through it though. I can't say you didn't give it a fair chance, I'm just not sure how you saw these issues. It's certainly not GotY, but it's a solid game and, as far as I'm concerned, a welcome respite from the glut of FPS games.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Terrible story - what's terrible about it? It's based on an actual novel. I've been playing through it and it's better than most others I've seen.

Terrible characters/average voice acting - that's juts insane. The characters are awesome. They look great, the voice acting is top notch (and done by true professionals) and I actually give a crap about them. You're flat out wrong on this front.

Ending - haven't gotten there yet, so I can't comment.

Framerate, graphics, gameplay, combat - I'm not sure what game you played, but I have noticed any issues. It's not silky smooth, but it's certainly well above average.

Generic climbing & platforming - what's generic about it exactly? Some of the set-pieces were truly epic a la Uncharted.

I give you props for actually playing all the way through it though. I can't say you didn't give it a fair chance, I'm just not sure how you saw these issues. It's certainly not GotY, but it's a solid game and, as far as I'm concerned, a welcome respite from the glut of FPS games.[/QUOTE]

If you like the characters and story, cool. That's great. As to whether or not the characters and story are good, that's all opinion... and in my case, I did not find them to be good. Especially fucking Pigsy. Monkey and Tripp are just generic cliches to me and visually Tripp seems to be Nariko ripped straight out of Heavenly Sword, just about. It's all so predictable too. There's nothing in it that grabbed me and made me want to play through to the end, I just did it because I generally try to finish games. When I was finished the few remaining achievements were so easy, I decided to go pick them up quickly and immediately sold it to try to recoup my $20.

As for the gameplay engine problems, it runs better on 360, but it's not perfect by any means, there's still a bunch of horizontal tearing and framerate dips.

Yet another spectacularly terrible game on the NFL network tonight: DAL @ TB. Can't wait for next week's HOU @ IND.

Seriously they got the worst primetime games this year.

[quote name='Eviltude']So long as the Cowboys are winning it's a great game.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this statement, and anyone who doesn't can eat a dick.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']If you like the characters and story, cool. That's great. As to whether or not the characters and story are good, that's all opinion... and in my case, I did not find them to be good. Especially fucking Pigsy. Monkey and Tripp are just generic cliches to me and visually Tripp seems to be Nariko ripped straight out of Heavenly Sword, just about. It's all so predictable too. There's nothing in it that grabbed me and made me want to play through to the end, I just did it because I generally try to finish games. When I was finished the few remaining achievements were so easy, I decided to go pick them up quickly and immediately sold it to try to recoup my $20.

As for the gameplay engine problems, it runs better on 360, but it's not perfect by any means, there's still a bunch of horizontal tearing and framerate dips.[/QUOTE]

I guess what I'm not really getting is, even if you feel the way you do about this game, as evidenced by what you listed, it still doesn't sound like you hate it to the point of saying it's not worth $8. I mean, at worst, it sounds like you thought the game was mediocre, but even I would have a hard time saying that a mediocre game isn't worth at least $8, just for the off chance that somebody else might think it's slightly above mediocre.

I'd also like to mention that I haven't had a single problem with framerate dips or tearing, but then again, I'm playing it on the 360 with it installed to my HDD, so maybe that explains the difference.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I agree with this statement, and anyone who doesn't can eat a dick.[/QUOTE]

We should totally hang out, bro.

Made it through Ikea with two kids, a newborn and a passive agressive mother without anyone in tears or being taken back to the car.

Just have to go back tomorrow to get the bed.

[quote name='Eviltude']We should totally hang out, bro.[/QUOTE]

It would be nice to meet up with another CAG knowing there is minimal chance that a glitter gun will rape me.

That Sony 3D display dropped another 100 bucks to 300. I think the odds are pretty high TMK doesn't go and get his 100 back after buying it because he will be taking that money out of Sony's pocket. I expect a blog post by 12 or 1 detailing this rationale.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']That Sony 3D display dropped another 100 bucks to 300. I think the odds are pretty high TMK doesn't go and get his 100 back after buying it because he will be taking that money out of Sony's pocket. I expect a blog post by 12 or 1 detailing this rationale.[/QUOTE]

You should have seen his Facebook post earlier. Dude was complaining because Cheddar's gave him Shrimp with his chicken tenders so he sent it back. Then they put sauce on top of his chicken tenders, so he sent it back and then finally he was able to eat them on the third time, even though there was a little sauce on one of the tenders.

I like the dude, but that's ridiculous.

[quote name='darthbudge']You should have seen his Facebook post earlier. Dude was complaining because Cheddar's gave him Shrimp with his chicken tenders so he sent it back. Then they put sauce on top of his chicken tenders, so he sent it back and then finally he was able to eat them on the third time, even though there was a little sauce on one of the tenders.

I like the dude, but that's ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

I'd say there's a 100% chance there was more than just sauce on his food after it came back the third time, or the second time even.

[quote name='darthbudge']You should have seen his Facebook post earlier. Dude was complaining because Cheddar's gave him Shrimp with his chicken tenders so he sent it back. Then they put sauce on top of his chicken tenders, so he sent it back and then finally he was able to eat them on the third time, even though there was a little sauce on one of the tenders.

I like the dude, but that's ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

He eats the same shit a five year old would eat so it makes sense that he acts like one with his food.

[quote name='darthbudge']Looks like I am finally gonna get roped into taking Math in college... now to decide what level of remedials I will need to start at.[/QUOTE]
I like math but sucked at it when I got to college after getting screwed out of a real education in high school. If you start where you need to then it won't be like pulling teeth.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']It would be nice to meet up with another CAG knowing there is minimal chance that a glitter gun will rape me.[/QUOTE]
I don't play that game.

[quote name='Dkellar']Poor TMK. You guys are so harsh on him, lol.[/QUOTE]
He sort of brings it on himself by saying stuff he knows sounds completely outrageous.

I mean, I'm assuming TMK has some kind of social disorder or something given the fact that he's a grown man and acts the way he does. So I do feel kind of bad for him.

Oh, and I guess I'm a couple of years late but now that I have a PS3 I'm down to do a gameshare group if that still exists and anyone still does it and has room...

Wow, I bent the shit out of the XBOX PCB, heard a pop, got the RRoD again, and after I took it apart one more time it all started to work. I just played some graphic intense games such as Guwange and Bangai-O and everything looks good. Now, I just need batteries for the controller as those are now dead too.

I saw where they killed gamesharing but I still have all my games that were "shared" to me. Maybe I just lucked out and was the only person sharing with them.

You can still share with one other person from what I saw. They just cut down the number of systems your account can be active on from 5 to 2.

[quote name='Eviltude']I like math but sucked at it when I got to college after getting screwed out of a real education in high school. If you start where you need to then it won't be like pulling teeth.
[/QUOTE]

See that's the problem, I only took Algebra in HS which was over 3 years ago now (When I think about that it's kinda scary) and I really hated so I didn't try at all and now it is screwing me over. Since I decided I want an advanced degree, I need to take things like Chemistry and Physics which all require me to have at least College Algebra. So I don't want to take a million remedial math courses, but I want to make sure and understand everything and also that I can get good grades.

Akira Kurosawa's Dreams turned out to be pretty good towards the end. I did not like a few of the short stories, but the last one was the best. That and the story about the peach orchard.

You can probably get by without taking geometry and trig, but you need more than just basic algebra. I can't really remember the last time I used geometry other than using formulas for volume and area in calc, which are almost always given to you.

[quote name='Rocko']How did you get through high school only taking algebra?[/QUOTE]

It was all that was required of me? I could have taken Calc, Trig, Geometry and so on, but they were all considered electives and I hated math so much back then there was no way I was gonna take them.

Looking back on it I wish I would have, but I also never thought I'd be pursuing the degree I am now.

[quote name='Eviltude']Skyrim for $40 on ebay (via toysrus). My gf won't let me buy it, so if I don't get it for Christmas I'm going to be pissed.[/QUOTE]

NO.
Don't buy it for PS3. Bad fucking idea. I know you're PS3 only, but as someone who bought the PS3 version and knows firsthand about the unplayable mess the shit becomes after 10+ hours, do not do it. The patches have only made things worse.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-ps3-skyrim-lag

Seriously, man. I've played a lot of the PS3 ports people said were shit and most of them are overexaggerated. Even Bayonetta is playable, though noticeably worse than the x360 version if you play long enough to notice the problems through experience. Skyrim, however, is every bit as bad as people are reporting it to be. I have no idea if I'll be able to continue the game -- I play for about an hour every once in awhile and see what I can do. Sometimes I forget I had to turn autosave off to get it to stop corrupting the PS3 hard drive and I play for awhile without saving manually, die or fuck up, and then I'm back where I started and have lost the will to try. My save file is less than 7mb and when a dragon shows up and villagers start defending a town, the game becomes a slideshow.

Until (or if) they ever patch it, stay the fuck away from the PS3 version... I debate selling it and letting some other schmuck deal with the piece of shit Bethesda put out. From what I've read, it's been a known issue with their game engine since Fallout 3 (so present in two games before Skyrim). I had bought Oblivion off Casey a few years ago and it ran buttery smooth and since I hadn't heard about the Fallout engine issues, I didn't think there'd be much difference, so I went with PS3. Big mistake. Don't do it.

[quote name='Rocko']How did you get through high school only taking algebra?[/QUOTE]

Homeschool?

[quote name='Eviltude']I saw where they killed gamesharing but I still have all my games that were "shared" to me. Maybe I just lucked out and was the only person sharing with them.

You can still share with one other person from what I saw. They just cut down the number of systems your account can be active on from 5 to 2.[/QUOTE]

To my understanding, it depends. Games purchased after the change, you can have active on two PS3s per the new rules, not five like previously. Any games purchased before the new rules became active will still retain the ability to be active on up to 5 PS3s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Calculus uses a lot of trig, especially the higher levels (Calc 2/3, Differential Equations) and it is used a lot in physics too.

And Green Bay lost!:whee:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just told my girlfriend about the problems with Skyrim after doing a little research and she didn't sound too happy. I'm assuming she already bought it. :lol: Oops.

[quote name='Eviltude']I just told my girlfriend about the problems with Skyrim after doing a little research and she didn't sound too happy. I'm assuming she already bought it. :lol: Oops.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how many hours I have in, but it definitely becomes a problem when you get over 5.5mb for your save file. I'm told you can do "start a new character and only do the quests you're interested in" approach, but that's balls.

The worst part is the issue seems to occur because of the way PS3 handles system memory, so a fix is going to be a long time coming, if it ever shows up.

My thought process was that if I were you and chika got me Skyrim for Christmas, neither of us would be very happy when the game became an unplayable mess after some time was put in it.

If she needs an alternative suggestion and you really liked Demon's Souls, ask for Dark Souls if you don't have it. I hear it's even better than it was now with the new patch.

Doesn't Bethesda have a record of their games running like shit on the PS3? Combining that with the fact that their games are super buggy in general, why would anyone buy it on the PS3?

[quote name='eldergamer']I couldnt make it through more than 3 hours of Demons Souls. I'm afraid to even touch Dark Souls.[/QUOTE]

I beat Demons Souls twice. I was ready to make my run at the remaining trophies on my third run through but the dude that upgrades the weapons randomly disappeared again so I gave up on it. It's a ridiculously tough game but there are some moments that stand out as awesome game moments in general.

Turns out you can get through a Masters program only taking algebra.

I don't recall Oblivion having any major issues on PS3, though it probably benefited from coming out a year later. Bethesda needs to move to a completely new engine so that the issues that have plagued their games for the past five years are gone.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I don't recall Oblivion having any major issues on PS3, though it probably benefited from coming out a year later. Bethesda needs to move to a completely new engine so that the issues that have plagued their games for the past five years are gone.[/QUOTE]

I had oblivion on the ps3 2 years ago and it did that lag shit, it was literally unplayable.

[quote name='lordwow']Turns out you can get through a Masters program only taking algebra.[/QUOTE]

I mean, yeah, once you get out of high school you can take low-level math for gen ed and not go any farther if your degree doesn't require it, but nowadays with STEM being the big push it surprises me that a recent high school graduate didn't go past algebra... but I don't know anything about home schooling.

[quote name='eldergamer']I couldnt make it through more than 3 hours of Demons Souls. I'm afraid to even touch Dark Souls.[/QUOTE]

I'm getting Demons Souls from Gamefly, I'm so curious. I'll probably quit since it sounds horrifically difficult.

[quote name='gbpackers94']I had oblivion on the ps3 2 years ago and it did that lag shit, it was literally unplayable.[/QUOTE]

I did every guild quest (thieves, dark brotherhood, warrior, mage, etc.) and the main storyline as well as several daedric quests and never hit the lag issues. Very odd. It's the reason I thought Skyrim should be fine (not knowing about the Fallout 3/New Vegas issues). :whistle2:?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back