The "Recommend me games." thread. Let's get this to one star, people! We can do it!

[quote name='waxHead']I find it strange that only certain Wii games support GCN controllers - I'd figure it would be easier to just let them all use it by default.[/quote]
It makes sense. From a financial standpoint there is additional development/testing to support another control method. From a presentation standpoint too many options conflicts with the Wii's main selling point for most people - simple controls that you can immediately pick up and play.

[quote name='wii skiier']It makes sense. From a financial standpoint there is additional development/testing to support another control method. From a presentation standpoint too many options conflicts with the Wii's main selling point for most people - simple controls that you can immediately pick up and play.[/quote]

I'm gonna play the devil's advocate here...

Regarding the financial point, it would depend on how the controller would be set-up by default. Nintendo could've decided to partially-support plugged-in GCN controllers by mapping certain buttons/controls by default, and allowing game developers to enable additional GCN controller features on a per-game basis. This way, GCN controllers would work with the basic Wii console and have some operation in all games, and other games would have specialized GCN control. It wouldn't have cost any more to design the Wii to operate this way, but obviously they chose not to do that. It's likely that a "default" GCN control scheme wouldn't work correctly with many games, which is mostly likely why they didn't do it.

Concerning the easy-of-use argument, the GCN ports are hidden behind the closed compartment door. People who want to use them see them there, and everyone else just leaves them alone. If there had been a default GCN controller scheme, game boxes which didn't support specialized GCN controller support wouldn't have need any additional graphics to indicate the support, as it would've been handled automatically by the hardware.

[quote name='waxHead']I haven't played a serious shoot-em-up like this in a while, but I find it incredible that no matter how many enemies are on-screen at once, there's absolutely no slow-down and the graphics are quite good (for what it is).[/quote]I love the DS version. It's the only one I played. I also picked it up free at Mircocenter ($10 off a $10 game.. what were they thinking. Heck I picked up a few copies for CAGs IIRC) It does have a bit of slow-down when you get a lot of enemies on screen. I never found fault with that. Maybe I'm weird but I always thought of it like bullet time. The action is so extreme the game slows down so I can think faster than the computer. Dude I used to love that in Gradius :nes:

[quote name='waxHead'] On a slightly different note, is it possible to use Gamecube controllers with Wii games? Such as using one for Geometry Wars? If not, I suppose I'll pick up the classic controller, but I wanted to check first.... (haven't tried yet, obviously).[/quote]Any game that supports a classic controller should but the the reality is that Nintendo left it up to the devs so I'm sure most of them 'don't bother'

[quote name='waxHead']I find it strange that only certain Wii games support GCN controllers - I'd figure it would be easier to just let them all use it by default.[/quote]yes. yes it would

[quote name='wii skiier']It makes sense. From a financial standpoint there is additional development/testing to support another control method. From a presentation standpoint too many options conflicts with the Wii's main selling point for most people - simple controls that you can immediately pick up and play.[/quote]I don't mean to insult you but I think that's the 2nd most idiotic thing I've ever heard. (#1 being Wii). I don't mean to imply that your argument is inaccurate. I'm sure that's what they say. I've read it myself somewhere but it's still stupid and idiotic reasoning. Controls schemes don't clutter anything. Just put it in the "Options" menu that every game has. Even if you don't want to do anything cool like offer various controls with the NGC controller and put them in profiles (like SSBB) and label them with Miis. There's no reason it shouldn't be in there at all. Again for the minimum why not put in a default control scheme and have it default off so even if the cube controller is plugged in I have to turn it on manually every time I want to use it. That way the simple people don't get confused.

[quote name='waxHead']I'm gonna play the devil's advocate here...

Regarding the financial point, it would depend on how the controller would be set-up by default. Nintendo could've decided to partially-support plugged-in GCN controllers by mapping certain buttons/controls by default, and allowing game developers to enable additional GCN controller features on a per-game basis. This way, GCN controllers would work with the basic Wii console and have some operation in all games, and other games would have specialized GCN control. It wouldn't have cost any more to design the Wii to operate this way, but obviously they chose not to do that. It's likely that a "default" GCN control scheme wouldn't work correctly with many games, which is mostly likely why they didn't do it.

Concerning the easy-of-use argument, the GCN ports are hidden behind the closed compartment door. People who want to use them see them there, and everyone else just leaves them alone. If there had been a default GCN controller scheme, game boxes which didn't support specialized GCN controller support wouldn't have need any additional graphics to indicate the support, as it would've been handled automatically by the hardware.[/quote]This is a fine example of why one person doesn't rule a company. There's a perfectly good idea that I didn't think of. That heck might be even easier to implement. Heck if you want to get real. Seeing what firmware updates have done for the PS3 there's still no reason they couldn't do it. Then maybe Nintendo would get people to do firmware updates. You know they might actually do something other than block homebrew. Well thank you waxhead because now useless firmware updates are my new bone to pick with Nintendo.

[quote name='Wolfkin']
I don't mean to insult you but I think that's the 2nd most idiotic thing I've ever heard. (#1 being Wii). I don't mean to imply that your argument is inaccurate. I'm sure that's what they say. I've read it myself somewhere but it's still stupid and idiotic reasoning. Controls schemes don't clutter anything. Just put it in the "Options" menu that every game has. Even if you don't want to do anything cool like offer various controls with the NGC controller and put them in profiles (like SSBB) and label them with Miis. There's no reason it shouldn't be in there at all. Again for the minimum why not put in a default control scheme and have it default off so even if the cube controller is plugged in I have to turn it on manually every time I want to use it. That way the simple people don't get confused.
[/quote]
I won't take it as an insult then. You obviously have not played with as many 50-year-old+ non-gamers as I have. Anything that hints at a requirement beyond the plain remote throws them. You have to keep in mind that "the simple people" are the ones that brought the Wii to where it is and continue to make it successful.

And while your idea to limit control options through hardware is not a bad one, additional "default" methods would still need specific development time alotted to support the method.

Oh, and to remain relatively on-topic I just want to throw in a quick reminder of any recommendation I may have made for de Blob. The game continues to entertain me on many levels - it's joyful, clever and well-made.

Well I know that no-one has done anything in this thread for 4 months but I don't really want to create a new thread. I just got my Wii on Monday and I have about 4 games besides Wii Sports. I've got lists created but was curious as to what else I should look into:

OWN:
de Blob
Destroy All Humans! Big Willy Unleashed (I love the series, no matter how crappy the games may be)
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
Zak & Wiki

WANT:
Boom Blox
Mario Kart
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Resident Evil 4
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
WarioLand Shake It

UNSURE:
Bomberman Land
Bully Scholarship Edition
Elebits
ExciteTruck
House of the Dead 2 & 3
House of the Dead: Overkill
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
MadWorld
Manhunt 2 (Did they cut out all of the hacking/slashing movements?)
Mario Strikers Charged
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Star Wars Clone Wars: Lightsaber Duel

Anything that I missed or should avoid at all costs?

You may want to look into No More Heroes. Otherwise, your list seems pretty solid. I've heard some negative things about Manhunt 2 and Star Wars Clone Wars: Lightsaber Duel, but if you find a good deal, then I suppose they'd be worth it.

Aside from No More Heroes, consider Fire Emblem 10, Trauma Center, Strong Bad's Cool Game 4 Attractive People, Deadly Creatures, and Tenchu.

*grits teeth for onslaught of "Endless Ocean" mentions*

[quote name='jp0213']Well I know that no-one has done anything in this thread for 4 months but I don't really want to create a new thread. I just got my Wii on Monday and I have about 4 games besides Wii Sports. I've got lists created but was curious as to what else I should look into:

OWN:
de Blob
Destroy All Humans! Big Willy Unleashed (I love the series, no matter how crappy the games may be)
Zak & Wiki

WANT:
Boom Blox
Mario Kart
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Resident Evil 4
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
WarioLand Shake It

UNSURE:
Bomberman Land
Elebits
ExciteTruck
House of the Dead 2 & 3
MadWorld
Mario Strikers Charged

Anything that I missed or should avoid at all costs?[/QUOTE]

Must buy Okami, cheap and great.

Another vote for No More Heroes as well.

[quote name='jp0213']Well I know that no-one has done anything in this thread for 4 months but I don't really want to create a new thread. I just got my Wii on Monday and I have about 4 games besides Wii Sports. I've got lists created but was curious as to what else I should look into:

OWN:
de Blob
Zak & Wiki

WANT:
Boom Blox
Mario Kart
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Resident Evil 4
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
WarioLand Shake It

UNSURE:
Bomberman Land
Elebits
ExciteTruck
House of the Dead 2 & 3
MadWorld
Mario Strikers Charged

Anything that I missed or should avoid at all costs?[/QUOTE]i don't know what you're looking for but consider getting the WiiWare Bomberman over Bomberman Land. NMH Okami, RE4 if you haven't already gotten it. oh and Soul Calibur Legends will blow your mind. Talk about best looking Wii game ever. if it's not top 5 then you're blind.
Manhunt was preserved I heard. MP3 I say go.
There's some pretty sweet WiiWare (Lit, Secret of Mana :snes:)

[quote name='v1et r1ce']Kind of OT, but are there any accessories I absolutely need? Which charge station should I get?[/QUOTE]you know I still don't have a charge station myself. I hear the Nyko one is the popular one but I'm waiting for a sale. My batteries don't die that often enough for it to annoy me yet.

Hey everyone, just thought I recommend a WiiWare party game for you people: Helix, from Ghostfire Games, is an excellent party/dance game!

Not only it has some nice electronic tracks, but the difficulty scales well for novice and veterans alike. It also is a pretty good exercise for the upper body! I think if you have US$ 10,00 to buy superflous things, this is the game to get!

Keep in mind that it's, as with many Wii games, better to play with more people, and that to get the best experience you'll need at least 2 Wii Remotes per person, so you can use both hands for movement.

Well, that's all I have to say, I'm not good with words and unfortunately the Wii doesn't have demos... so search some YouTube videos and see if you dig it!

[quote name='Achuba Nanoia']Hey everyone, just thought I recommend a WiiWare party game for you people: Helix, from Ghostfire Games, is an excellent party/dance game![/QUOTE]
That's odd, because Helix is one of the shittiest pieces of shovelware I've ever played. Unlike DDR or Guitar Hero, you can't tell what the fuck you're supposed to do by looking at the screen in Helix. The animated person does what you're supposed to do like 2 seconds in the future.

Just bought a Wii this morning. Going to take advantage of the B2G1 sale starting at Gamestop to pick up some of the first-party games which haven't dropped. Leaning towards Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, and Super Paper Mario, all of which seem like safe bets.

[quote name='bvharris']Just bought a Wii this morning. Going to take advantage of the B2G1 sale starting at Gamestop to pick up some of the first-party games which haven't dropped. Leaning towards Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, and Super Paper Mario, all of which seem like safe bets.[/QUOTE]
Super Paper Mario is pretty crappy actually. I prefer Paper Mario, which is only $10 on the Virtual Console. SPM tries to be a RPG and a platformer, but fails at doing either of them particularly well.

[quote name='Doomed']Super Paper Mario is pretty crappy actually. I prefer Paper Mario, which is only $10 on the Virtual Console. SPM tries to be a RPG and a platformer, but fails at doing either of them particularly well.[/QUOTE]

They didn't have a complete case for SPM, so I ended up getting Galaxy, Twilight Princess, and Madworld.

Hell has frozen over... my mother bought a Wii.

So, she's expressing interest in some sort of football game. I'm quite certain she's never played a video game before in her life, unless maybe it was bowling on Intellivison over 20 years ago... Are there any SIMPLE football games out on Wii? I have absolutely no clue how complex Madden is, but I'm assuming it would probably be too confusing? Input is appreciated.

I'd love to hear about other fairly simple but fun games, as well. I've suggested Wii Play as a way to get another controller, and the new Wii Sports. She got Mario and Sonic at the Olympics for free at Gamestop (I hope that's simple :p). What else could we pick up?

[quote name='PleasantOne']Hell has frozen over... my mother bought a Wii.

So, she's expressing interest in some sort of football game. I'm quite certain she's never played a video game before in her life, unless maybe it was bowling on Intellivison over 20 years ago... Are there any SIMPLE football games out on Wii? I have absolutely no clue how complex Madden is, but I'm assuming it would probably be too confusing? Input is appreciated.

I'd love to hear about other fairly simple but fun games, as well. I've suggested Wii Play as a way to get another controller, and the new Wii Sports. She got Mario and Sonic at the Olympics for free at Gamestop (I hope that's simple :p). What else could we pick up?[/QUOTE]

I haven't played a Wii Madden in a couple of years, but I believe the newer ones have an "All Play" mode, where you can greatly simplify the game. I'm going to get Madden 10, which comes out in a couple weeks. It should simplify the game even more since you use the pointer in the passing game.

As it seems she likes sports games, Wii Sports Resort would probably be a safe choice. She may also like Wii Fit, Carnival Games, and Boom Blox. If she is interested in cooking games, she may like Order Up! I've been playing it recently and have found it to be a pretty good simple-yet-fun game.

So my mom loves her Wii and plays mosly adventure games, Zelda, smg, boom blox. I've been coming by her house every other week and we are playing through SMBrawl, but we would like to try something new. Are there any really good adventure/action games that Can be played completely through coop? Really appreciate the suggestions.

And to the OP, what about adding a little blurb about coop to each game on the list?

Thanks in advance

[quote name='100bullets']So my mom loves her Wii and plays mosly adventure games, Zelda, smg, boom blox. I've been coming by her house every other week and we are playing through SMBrawl, but we would like to try something new. Are there any really good adventure/action games that Can be played completely through coop? Really appreciate the suggestions.

And to the OP, what about adding a little blurb about coop to each game on the list?

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

Well depends on how co-op you want. Crash of the Titans and Crash Mind over Mutant are fun action/adventure titles , although the co-op in them is more comparable to the co-op in SMG.

House of the Dead: Overkill!

Okay, maybe not.

Anyway, I'll update the original post when I'm done being ludicrously busy. Still kinda in recovery mode over here, guys.

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this is where I should put this, but I didn't really feel it deserved its own thread, so hopefully I can get some answers here.

Okay, so here's the deal. I'm a huge fan of Toy Story. I watched both movies in the theater, had both pre-ordered when the movies came out, have since added the DVDs to my collection, have tons of memorabilia, etc. So when I heard that there is going to be a current game coming to Wii that involves Toy Story I knew I had to add it to my collection. For those of you that aren't aware, this is the game: http://www.amazon.com/Toy-Story-Man...USXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249534131&sr=8-1

So, I was at Target the other day and noticed they have a Pre-Order on the game and it has a pretty snazzy looking card for the pre-order, which I would love to add to my collection (Of course I was too stupid to pick it up when I was there and went to my local Target today and couldn't find it, so now I need to keep checking) I plan to get the card since a $1 isn't a big deal and I like the card. However, I'm trying to decide on two things:

1. If I would pick the game up for a pre-order, do I get to keep the card, or would I need to do two in order to keep one?

2. I read somewhere and I can't remember if it was on the pre-order card or on Disney's website that Target is going to have an exclusive 3D case. Now I haven't got to see the 3D case, so I don't know what it is going to look like, but I'm thinking this is what I will end up getting. Since this is limited to Target, does that most likely mean that they will have a limited number and then go to the regular cases? I've never really had a special case like this, so I don't really know how they work (obviously there is no guarantee, but I was just curious how this has worked in the past) I want the game, but I'm thinking $50 is pretty high for the game and I think it will drop pretty quickly, I'm just not sure if I should just pay full price or if the price will drop and I can still get the 3D case.

Thanks so much and sorry for the long post.

This is a few hundred kilometers from my area of expertise, but I'll give it a shot...

1. Wait, what?
2. Most likely, yes, they will have limited numbers and then go to regular cases. 'Course, they might not reach that point, and hey, there's always eBay/GTZ/CAG/whatever...

1. The card you're talking about is a pre-order card. If you pick the game up on release day, you get a $5 gift card when you checkout. They'll ask to scan the pre-order card, but you can always request that you keep it - there's no reason they'd deny you the request. They'll have to pull it off that plastic sheet/paper/board/whatever to scan it, so if that bothers you, you ought to get a second one to keep it pristine. But seeing as how that piece of paper is useless and dumb, I doubt you'll care. I've done this before when they took pre-orders for Super Mario Galaxy, so you can keep the card if you ask.

2. Target had limited editions of the Shaun White game that boasted a Target-themed level, which they sold alongside normal versions of the game. Technically it was limited, but you could walk into most Targets today and still get a copy.

That said, the game will drop in price quickly. If you don't get it the first day, then you can just keep tabs on it for a while and make sure it never goes out of stock. I'm going to guess it'll be the asme situation where X number are this 3D version out of the entire shipment.

So, in short:

Yes you can keep the card.

Probably best to wait for the game to drop in price and keep tabs on it locally. If you are worried about it, get it sooner rather than later. I can't see them making it super limited, but instead just like Shaun White, where copies will last a good while on the shelves.

[quote name='The Crotch']This is a few hundred kilometers from my area of expertise, but I'll give it a shot...

1. Wait, what?
2. Most likely, yes, they will have limited numbers and then go to regular cases. 'Course, they might not reach that point, and hey, there's always eBay/GTZ/CAG/whatever...[/QUOTE]

Thanks. My first question I was just asking if the pre-order card has to be "surrendered" when you get the game, wasn't sure since people could try to come back and use it again. I usually don't buy games off eBay and stuff (unless it is something hard to find or cheap) but that would be a good option if the price doesn't drop quickly.

Thanks again for your reply!

[quote name='Strell']1. The card you're talking about is a pre-order card. If you pick the game up on release day, you get a $5 gift card when you checkout. They'll ask to scan the pre-order card, but you can always request that you keep it - there's no reason they'd deny you the request. They'll have to pull it off that plastic sheet/paper/board/whatever to scan it, so if that bothers you, you ought to get a second one to keep it pristine. But seeing as how that piece of paper is useless and dumb, I doubt you'll care. I've done this before when they took pre-orders for Super Mario Galaxy, so you can keep the card if you ask.

2. Target had limited editions of the Shaun White game that boasted a Target-themed level, which they sold alongside normal versions of the game. Technically it was limited, but you could walk into most Targets today and still get a copy.

That said, the game will drop in price quickly. If you don't get it the first day, then you can just keep tabs on it for a while and make sure it never goes out of stock. I'm going to guess it'll be the asme situation where X number are this 3D version out of the entire shipment.

So, in short:

Yes you can keep the card.

Probably best to wait for the game to drop in price and keep tabs on it locally. If you are worried about it, get it sooner rather than later. I can't see them making it super limited, but instead just like Shaun White, where copies will last a good while on the shelves.[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much. I just wasn't sure how they handle the card, I read it for another game, but it doesn't really mention anything. I know with like giftcards and stuff they will let you keep them, but I wasn't sure how this would work, if people would try to come back and use them, etc. I don't really care about the card the pre-order card is on, I mostly want the giftcard style pre-order card and will probably just put it in the case or something.

I think I will just see how many they have and then go from there before buying it. I can also get them on Target's site and they may have it for a little longer than my local stores. I will probably just wait to see what the case looks like and if I don't like it (sometimes 3D can be ugly in my opinion) I will just wait for the price to drop. After all, the $5 giftcard you get for pre-ordering is about the same savings as I can get from Amazon already, so I think a price drop should be pretty quick.

Thanks again for your reply!

I'm a big RPG & SRPG fan. I own Fire Emblem, Phantom Brave, & (although not REALLY an RPG) Super Paper Mario.
My question is mainly this... Are there any RPGs out there on the Wii that I should buy or look forward to? I REALLY want some new games, preferably RPG/SRPG, but I'm open to other suggestions. I'll take VC suggestions, too. Fire Emblem & Final Fantasy are 2 of my favorite game series to possibly base some reccommendations off of.
If you wanna reccommend me some games this is my Wii catalogue :

007 Quantum of Solace (I don't really play it. Beat the 1st couple missions & got bored)
Battalion Wars 2 (pretty neat game)
Call of Duty World at War (don't care for the story. Online play is fun)
Fire Emblem (LOVE it. Huge fan of the series)
Guitar Hero 3, Metallica, and World Tour (amazing fun)
Mario Kart Wii (Ok game. Prefer Double Dash or even DS though)
Mario Party 8 (I don't like it. My bro does)
Phantom Brave : We Meet Again (Fun at first, but the level grinding can be...tedious)
Star Wars : The Force Unleashed (Eh. It's Ok. Not really my cup of tea)
Super Mario Galaxy (GREAT game. After the 1st playthrough, though...Not much goin for it besides feeling the need to get ALL the stars)
Super Paper Mario (Fun at first, boring real fast. Too easy.)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Great addition to the Smash Bros series. Fun with friends. Kinda useless otherwise, the online sucks.)
Wii Play (Bought it for the controller)

Virtual Console

Shining Force (Fun. Interesting to see how SRPGs started)
Final Fantasy Crystal Defenders (Cool Tower-Defence style game. Good to waste time)
Swords & Soldiers (kinda fun, but turns into "Who can buy more warriors faster" with multiplayer sometimes)
Super Mario RPG (Awesome. 'Nuff said)

Ah, a man after my own heart.

Unfortunately, this generation has not been very good for RPGs. There was Mass Effect, a couple Bethesda games, Fire Emblem, and... really, that's about all I can think of.

Now, I see that you don't have Paper Mario on the VC. If you were turned off by Super Paper Mario, I recommend giving the older games a look - the original Paper Mario is far closer to Mario RPG than it is to Super. And if you didn't play Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door on the GameCube, then that one is an absolute must. It's arguably superior to even Mario RPG.

Speaking of GameCube games - Skies of Arcadia, anyone? Damn fine game, that one. Haven't played either of them, but I've heard good things about Baiten Kaitos and mostly-good things about Baiten Kaitos Origins.

Getting back to the Wii... lesse. There was that Tales of Symphonia sequel a while back. I wasn't huge on the first ToS, so I skipped this one, but I think a lot of people called it "decent-but-forgettable". I think they're making a new, proper Tales game for the Wii, though. Little King's Story is definitely one to check out. And, uh, if you consider it them RPGs, go for Okami and Zelda.

Looking forward, we've got Valhalla Knights, Dragon Quest X, Arc Rise Fantasia, Monster Hunter, and the aforementioned Tales game.

Oh, and if you've only played Shining Force 1, definitely play SF2. Much better game. Okay, yes, the werewolves are pussier, and the story's still nothing to write home about, but still fuckin' good, yeah?

Ah, thank you!
I have played the past Paper Marios & loved them dearly, but had forgotten about the N64 one being on VC! Definately writing it down for rememberance...

I was a bit behind the curve during the Gamecube's era... Although I had one, I wasn't devoted or resourceful enough to do things such as this to truly get my money's worth :[ But at least I nabbed Fire Emblem there, too

I've heard...less than great things about the Wii's ToS in reviews. Since I really never played ToS & the reviews told me it was really for the fans & not to jump into, I skipped it. I've heard great things about Little King's Story, though! Seemingly worth checking out...I'm not a big fan of Zelda, sadly. I do appreciate the game for what it is and does, but...it just doesn't stick. Same goes for Metroid in case anyone asks. If it had more combat rather than exploring I may like it more, but then I fear it may be a bit more of a spacious half-life rather than Metroid.

Y'know, I've seen Valhalla Knights at my local Meijer, but there are a severe lack of reviews out there for it, & the ones that do exist aren't too nice, sadly.

I've heard that about SF2! I was slightly joyous when I seen SF2 was on the VC list, until I realized I hadn't enough points or money for a card :[

Thank you for your help! Hopefully while the future comes along (S)RPGs will follow suit. Nontheless, I will remain a Nintendo Man until & beyond that day

I'm a little out of my comfort zone with sports games, but I must always recommend Pro Evolution Soccer, a somewhat... RTS-inspired game. The 2010 version is out some time in November, but the '09 version's still good (4-person multiplayer offline, 2-pers online).

[quote name='The Crotch']I'm a little out of my comfort zone with sports games, but I must always recommend Pro Evolution Soccer, a somewhat... RTS-inspired game. The 2010 version is out some time in November, but the '09 version's still good (4-person multiplayer offline, 2-pers online).[/QUOTE]
Striker rush! KEKEKEKEKEEKEE

Any zelda game
Metroid
Classic NES - punch out, super mario 3
No More Heroes if you want a kick in the stomach (in a good way)

So my Dad just bought a Wii for himself and my mom. I know what games I want to play on it, but could use some extra help finding games for them to play.

Nothing too complicated! They have never played video games aside from singing some songs on Rock Band and my Dad likes some old stuff like tetris and pacman, but is not very good. They really like Wii Sports. All we have right now is Wii Sports and EA Active.

I know I'm going to get them Wii Sports Resort, and was thinking about Boom Blox as well. Things like NSMB Wii, Mario Kart are a no go for now. Games that do not require a whole lot of reflexes would be best :p

Also, the cheaper the better!

Well, there aren't any reflexes involved in Fire Embl-
No. No, nevermind. Not gonna do it.

Let's see. What's-his-name would probably want me to recommend Endless Ocean or whatever the hell the sequel is called. If you're feeling ambitious, consider WarioWare. Fast, but very simple. 'Cept for the fucking dancing game.

One of the ArtStyle games on WiiWare, perhaps?

Not cheap, but the balance games of Wii Fit (Plus) are fun.
If they like trivia, I'd recommend Trivial Pursuit, Scene it, or Disney's Think Fast (the latter only, if they they are really young at heart and like Disney's animated movies).
Big Brian academy and Mario Party 8 are a lot of fun (but not inexpensive) even if you are not into the other Mario/Nintendo games.

[quote name='The Crotch']Well, there aren't any reflexes involved in Fire Embl-
No. No, nevermind. Not gonna do it.

Let's see. What's-his-name would probably want me to recommend Endless Ocean or whatever the hell the sequel is called. If you're feeling ambitious, consider WarioWare. Fast, but very simple. 'Cept for the fucking dancing game.

One of the ArtStyle games on WiiWare, perhaps?[/QUOTE]
Well, I'd look at gameplay videos of Endless Ocean first, but if you think they'd like it, why not? The stupid sequel still isn't out in English. ;)

WarioWare is hilarious, but also "rare", and people not comfortable with the Wiimote get too flustered while playing, and fail.

I absolutely hate the phrase "All I know is I feel desperately sorry for anyone that is 'Wii only' this gen." and I wish I had an account on NeoGAF to respond to the guy with.

Um... who are ya respondin' to?

Still thinking more on fizzy's question. What was that fishing game that the consensus decided was best some time back?

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I've been looking through lists of Wii games and so far I think I'll pick up this stuff for my parents: Boom Blox, Trivial Pursuit, Wii Play, Endless Ocean, Mercury Meltdown Revolution, Pinball Hall of Fame, and Word Jong Party.

A Fishing game sounds good if there is one that isn't terrible :p Also, how's the WiiWare texas hold em? Does anyone still play online? And I really have no idea what the WiiWare has to offer aside from LostWinds

Crotch/Strell, have either of you played the Sam & Max games for Wii? The whole season is $12 at Gamestop, and I dig the point and click games.

Just get them on the PC/direct download from Telltale. No other way to play them.

Now go sit in the corner for even considering so.

bread's done
Back