The return of J Bauer OTT

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='tiredfornow']I guess I'll ask since I'm the only one who can read this.. what the fuck are you talking about?[/QUOTE]
:dunce:

The new karate kid movie, Jackie Chan is the kid's teacher, Pat Morita was Mr. Miyagi in the original movies.

edit- I'm leaving it since you apparent'y need to see it twice. :p

[quote name='darthbudge']My guess would be graduating from college and then magically being able to move to California?[/QUOTE]

Yup. I plan on saving all through college, so I can have enough put back for me to live out there for a few months while I get on my feet. It's my dream, but I doubt I'll get to do it. Real world doesn't work like that.

Test drove an 06 Eclipse today. Other than having no backseat and some awful blindspots, I loved it.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']I'm pretty pumped about Mass Effect 2.[/QUOTE]

Fight for the Lost, man. Fight for the Lost.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Didn't realize the media tags were no longer needed. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Apparently, you missed the revolution. ;)

[quote name='Liquid 2']Why do you want to move to California?[/QUOTE]

He probably wants to meet up with GizmoPrime and be her star-crossed lover.

I mean, who wouldn't want to move to California though... it's like heaven on earth or some shit... at least until it breaks off and falls into the ocean.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Why do you want to move to California?[/QUOTE]

I've lived in a small Oklahoma my whole life. There's absolutely nothing here, save for cotton and a shitty lake. I want to go to Cali for the culture, for the music, for the being an hour away from both snowskiing and the beach. For the weather, for the people who aren't racist conservatives. Coming from where I've grown up, California seems like paradise.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Didn't realize the media tags were no longer needed. :lol:[/QUOTE]
It's been a feature for over 1.5 years and using media tags destroys the page if it's quoted.

Just do like prisoners do, DarthPumer, and live inside your own mind.

[quote name='tiredfornow']I got up to pee during that trailer. I don't remember Jackie Chan in it. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Good move, you didn't miss much.

[quote name='DarthPuma']Yup. I plan on saving all through college, so I can have enough put back for me to live out there for a few months while I get on my feet.[/QUOTE]
You realize a shit-ton of college students are poor and end up with thousands of dollars in loans to pay when they get out, right?

[quote name='Rocko']You realize a shit-ton of college students are poor and end up with thousands of dollars in loans to pay when they get out, right?[/QUOTE]

Yes, yes I do. Which is why I said that though it's my dream, I know that it's not something that's likely to happen. However, OHLAP is going to pay for a lot, and I'm going to apply for every scholarship and grant I can. I'll be going to community college to get my associates, which will help out too. I'm gonna try my damndest to make this happen.

Why build your goals around a place you've never been to and have only experienced through media glamorization rather than around something you really enjoy and seeing where that takes you?

[quote name='TheRock88']Any of you guys stock market buffs?

My mom has a shit load of Apple shares and according to this article, it closed today a few cents under their all time high. With the upcoming show next week and the introduction of their tablet, should she sell now or still hold out?

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_14223354?source=rss[/QUOTE]

Well what price did your mom buy at, how much are we talking and what are her intentions with the stock?

If she purchased or received it at a signifigantly cheaper price and/or owns quite a bit of stock (into the thousands) and wants to go for a risky approach she could sell the stock off now while it is at an almost all time high and take her profits to invest in something else. However it very well could go up more after the show which would lead to considerable profits if she really does own a ton of stock. Also if she decided to reinvest the money, it very well could be lost while Apple's stock will always retain it's price.

If she purchased or received it at a price not much lower than it's current price and/or owns less than say 500 stocks, I would say it is much more advantageous to take the conservative path and at least wait until after the show to sell it if not waiting even longer to sell.

Personally, I don't think Apple stocks are gonna dip much even if they have a bad show. I would not sell and wait for it to go up even more. If she plans on selling it within two weeks no matter what, I wouldn't sell it until after the show but be constantly ready to sell it off if it starts to dip. Even if it dropped $0.20 before she could sell it off and she owns 500 stocks, she would only loose $100 which is nothing compared to what could be gained and only a small fraction of the money she would still have left.

My power went off for about 10 seconds and it smells/sounded like my PSU took a shit. It's working fine, but it smells like burnt paint.

I'm waiting for my bedroom to catch on fire now.

[quote name='darthbudge']Well what price did your mom buy at, how much are we talking and what are her intentions with the stock?

If she purchased or received it at a signifigantly cheaper price and/or owns quite a bit of stock (into the thousands) and wants to go for a risky approach she could sell the stock off now while it is at an almost all time high and take her profits to invest in something else. However it very well could go up more after the show which would lead to considerable profits if she really does own a ton of stock. Also if she decided to reinvest the money, it very well could be lost while Apple's stock will always retain it's price.

If she purchased or received it at a price not much lower than it's current price and/or owns less than say 500 stocks, I would say it is much more advantageous to take the conservative path and at least wait until after the show to sell it if not waiting even longer to sell.

Personally, I don't think Apple stocks are gonna dip much even if they have a bad show. I would not sell and wait for it to go up even more. If she plans on selling it within two weeks no matter what, I wouldn't sell it until after the show but be constantly ready to sell it off if it starts to dip. Even if it dropped $0.20 before she could sell it off and she owns 500 stocks, she would only loose $100 which is nothing compared to what could be gained and only a small fraction of the money she would still have left.[/QUOTE]

Thanks budge, iirc she owns somewhere 550 or so shares. She used to work for them around 1983 or 84 so she bought them dirt cheap back then. Dont remember how much but according to google, it was around $4 a share. She's been holding on to them ever since so that she could retire so she's looking to sell them any time now.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Why build your goals around a place you've never been to and have only experienced through media glamorization rather than around something you really enjoy and seeing where that takes you?[/QUOTE]
Because I want to get the fuck out of Oklahoma/Texas. If I want to leave, why not leave to the place that interests me most?

[quote name='Rocko']Not to mention California is expensive. Save up enough money, move out there with no prospects, and then what?[/QUOTE]

Work a shit job until I can start my career I guess. I've got half a decade to figure this out.

I'd just suggest leaving another way, rather than running off there as soon as you graduate with nothing set up there.

And you want to get out of Oklahoma. Texas is a million times better than Cali. :cool::cool::cool:

[quote name='rabbitt']I'm going to see RJD2 :eek:[/QUOTE]Eh. Would've been jealous 3-4 years ago, but that dude's latest have stunk shit up.

Wouldn't it be infinitely more intelligent to start a career before you prance off to Paradise, USA with no money, no prospects, and no experience whatsoever?

[quote name='TheRock88']Thanks budge, iirc she owns somewhere 550 or so shares. She used to work for them around 1983 or 84 so she bought them dirt cheap back then. Dont remember how much but according to google, it was around $4 a share. She's been holding on to them ever since so that she could retire so she's looking to sell them any time now.[/QUOTE]

Capital gains tax applies to stock sales -- I think there's a one time loophole somewhere, if your mom hasn't used it, but if she owns say, 550 shares and can sell them at a profit of $100 a share, she's going to have to pay capital gains tax on 55k for the next fiscal year's tax return. That's something else worth looking into, just so it's not like "I'm going to walk out of this with 50k+ for retirement" and realistically, you end up seeing like 38k or something.

The other thing worth noting, since you mention retirement, is that at this stage of the game, she *should* probably be playing conservative. While Budge's assertion that Apple stock might hold it's value could be sound, it's nothing compared to the stability of say, a Roth IRA. If she could flip her potential profit from the stock sale immediately into a Roth IRA (which are supposed to be the bees' knees when it comes to retirement planning), that may be a better idea for the long run -- then again when you say "considering retiring" if you mean next week vs. "in a few years", that also changes shit.

[quote name='Rocko']Wouldn't it be infinitely more intelligent to start a career before you prance off to Paradise, USA with no money, no prospects, and no experience whatsoever?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it would. And that's probably how it will go. For now, I'm 17 and dreaming.

[quote name='DarthPuma']Yes, it would. And that's probably how it will go. For now, I'm 17 and dreaming.[/QUOTE]

Get in the right industry and you could move to California for it... two birds, one stone.

What do you want to study in college?

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Get in the right industry and you could move to California for it... two birds, one stone.

What do you want to study in college?[/QUOTE]

I really don't know. I really like math, so engineering has been a thought. I like dealing with people, so I've also thought about a business major. Aptitude tests have told me to look at things in advertising. This is something I need to figure out quick though.

No, it's not. You can dick around in college for a year and a half and be fine. Maybe 2 years.

Only terrible people go into business.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Capital gains tax applies to stock sales -- I think there's a one time loophole somewhere, if your mom hasn't used it, but if she owns say, 550 shares and can sell them at a profit of $100 a share, she's going to have to pay capital gains tax on 55k for the next fiscal year's tax return. That's something else worth looking into, just so it's not like "I'm going to walk out of this with 50k+ for retirement" and realistically, you end up seeing like 38k or something.

The other thing worth noting, since you mention retirement, is that at this stage of the game, she *should* probably be playing conservative. While Budge's assertion that Apple stock might hold it's value could be sound, it's nothing compared to the stability of say, a Roth IRA. If she could flip her potential profit from the stock sale immediately into a Roth IRA (which are supposed to be the bees' knees when it comes to retirement planning), that may be a better idea for the long run -- then again when you say "considering retiring" if you mean next week vs. "in a few years", that also changes shit.[/QUOTE]

Interesting, thanks for the tip.

Beverly Hills, that's where he wants to be.:roll:

The only thing about California that appeals to me is getting away from these red state hicks around here, everything else is a turn off. The traffic, the pollution, and the annoying ways some people speak depending on where you are etc...

It would be cool to basically get everything i order in a day though, since so many online stores are based there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back