The Road to TNA Victory Road VIII Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you cite some literature (posters, video, etc.) that say "once in a lifetime"? Or that say "this will never ever ever happen again"?

I think you're cray-cray for thinking this kind of thing can be litigated, but I'm curious to see how you came to this conclusion.

[quote name='mykevermin']Dude was a goddamned TUGBOAT. A Typhoon was a move in the super serious direction by contrast.[/QUOTE]
According to Wikipedia he's an Uncle to Cody Rhodes, is he the brother of Rhode's mom?

You'd have to show it was advertised as "One time only" and convince the court that you had a loss or damages because of that. On top of fighting Vince's law-talking-guys, you would be lucky to win.

39021_LVE_WM28_WebAds_Miami_728x90_SunApr1.jpg

This ad has been all over the place on the web. Its all over facebook and other sites I have been on in the last few days.

and then there is the video package tjhey are airing next monday night before raw as well. Promoting the "once in a lifetime" encounter between rock and cena.

[quote name='Spyder187']Card subject to change refers to the possibility that the advertised event you are going to can be changed, ie: John Cena's hustle and flow isn't going so hot so he is replaced with Doink the clown. That does not cover intentional false advertising. WM is being billed as a "once in a lifetime event" as they are saying this is the only opportunity that you would ever get to see rock vs cena. however, they already know that they are going to have more matches and are planning these matches does lay the groundwork for intentional false advertisement.[/QUOTE]
:rofl:

You are a special kind of special, man.

"Once in a lifetime" doesn't imply in any way, shape, or form that something is "one time only." And even if it did, it is happening "one time only" at the event they're advertising, Wrestlemania 28. It's hyperbole/marketing speak. Their advertising would have to get extremely explicit in terms of saying that this is the only time in the history of the world that these two will meet at any event under any circumstance with a guarantee that it will never happen again for anyone to even consider taking this to a trial. So yeah, you're stretching the "once in a lifetime" just a bit.

Now I've got Talking Heads stuck in my brain, thanks.

I never once said I was going to sue. I said I could see someone trying to make the case for it. All I was trying to do was point out the inconsistency that is known as WWE.

I'm suing WWE for saying every year that that years Wrestlemania will be the greatest of all time. This is bullshit.

Look. Go back and read my original post on this matter. I never once said anything about suing them myself. i said that i could see some people out there attempting it due to the type of lawsuit heavy world we live in these days.

[quote name='Spyder187']I never once said I was going to sue. I said I could see someone trying to make the case for it. All I was trying to do was point out the inconsistency that is known as WWE.[/QUOTE]

Whose lifetime? It will be for everyone who dies before the next match.

Reading the spoilers for next week's Impact, I'm shocked with who TNA put in the authority position
Hulk Hogan
. At least they didn't go in a totally predictable direction.

Every goddamn Monday was the "GREATEST NIGHT IN THE HISTORY OF OUR SPORT" on Nitro.

I'm going to sue WCW. Yeah, the company doesn't exist, but I'm more likely to get a settlement out of them than Tony Schiavone. He won't pay, I'll have to get the sheriffs to sieze his assets, and then all I'll have to show for it is a closet of XXL hawaiian print d-bag shirts.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']
You are a special kind of special, man.

"Once in a lifetime" doesn't imply in any way, shape, or form that something is "one time only."[/QUOTE]

"Once."

[quote name='Survivalism']"Once."[/QUOTE]
"Once in a while"

Actually, that doesn't really work, but my point was more about the phrase.

Edit: I take that back, it does work because they're both idioms.

[quote name='Dr. Venkman']Your statement mentions Violent J. I'm baffled you'd listen to anything that guy had to say.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='masked lemon']Your statement mentions you watch JCW. Your opinion on wrestling is now null and void.[/QUOTE]

Say what you want, but those JCW tapes are fucking funny as shit. Chris Hero gives a guy a splash and essentially hits him with a splash that puts his crotch in the guy's face. They call it some shit like the flying "eat my man pussy"

I was just giving you shit. I have heard that there is some decent wrestling at those gatherings or whatever. I would never go, because I don't like Faygo enough to wear it for an entire weekend, and I hate smelling body odor.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']"Once in a while"

Actually, that doesn't really work, but my point was more about the phrase.

Edit: I take that back, it does work because they're both idioms.[/QUOTE]

Yo, man, whatchu call me?

The StrangleMania tapes the ICP put out in the mid-90's were (1) funny as hell, especially when watched with a group of friends and a bunch of beer, and (2) were one way, in the days when internet video was limited to that realplayer bullshit, to view awesome Japanese deathmatches.

Went through a junk drawer and found some Polaroids from a Raw where I was sitting right behind the announce desk in 1997 (ooooh, the show where DOA debuted...cough). Most were shit quality but a couple were still worth scanning - ie ones with guys who have passed away since then. Spoilered for size.

Pillman was doing announcing duties on Shotgun for this episode...he kept antagonizing the fans. At one point he started beating up a "fan" in the front row. When he went over to grab a chair he pushed Finkel into me. Thankfully I didn't like...brush against his ass or anything.

dBSBP.jpg

pOOBE.jpg

Stinks that it's shitty quality but this is definitely my favorite...DBS giving me the finger during a tag match.

pV7Io.jpg

[quote name='KaneRobot']

Stinks that it's shitty quality but this is definitely my favorite...DBS giving me the finger during a tag match.

[/QUOTE]
:lol:

What'd you yell?

That sinks it, it's time to prep a class-action suit. I'm sure my receipt for some wings from the local sports bar on that date will be sufficient to qualify me for it (preposition overload!!).

I wonder if Taker ever did roids. It's not like he ever wrestled with his shirt off but not everyone who does them is ripped like Scott Steiner.

Which also makes me think of how Jericho, Benoit, Eddie, Rey all did them upon coming to the E. :whistle2:(

[quote name='mykevermin']...and how oddly eloquent both he and Necro Butcher could be when they were interviewed.[/QUOTE]

Necro Butcher is that guy I'll always feel bad for. I'll never forget him saying "well, it was either this shit or go die in a mining accident".

once in a lifetime
1.) Only once in our lifetime will Rock and Cena do something akin to wrestling at WM28
2.) Vince is full convinced that the Mayans are right and we're all dead in about 9 months

saw mill, but yeah, same point. Well, that doesn't make me feel sorry for him entirely, but more be concerned about probable life outcomes for poor rural WV residents.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...n-cena-talks-the-rock-wrestlemania/index.html

VERY interesting interview w/ John Cena. Nothing earth shattering, but it's a very humanizing interview, which stands in contrast to how we typically see him (corporate spokesperson John Cena).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bhk']So how are they match ordering this card? Rock/Cena has to go last, right?[/QUOTE]

I would imagine that's gotta be the main. I'm guessing Danielson/Sheamus opens, whatever shit on the card in the middle (I honestly don't even know any other matches aside from the ones mentioned in my post), then they end the show hot with Punk/Jericho, Taker/HHH, and Rock/Cena.

There's been some talk of Punk/Jericho going on first, which makes sense the more you think about it. As the show progresses, matches that aren't HHH/Taker and Rock/Cena are going to get shortened based on time, so putting Punk/Jericho on first ensures they get their full amount of ring time. From a fan perspective, I'd much rather them make the call that Sheamus/Bryan loses five minutes instead of Punk/Jericho.

That might not be the plan anymore (if it ever even was), but there was at least discussion. Either way, Rock/Cena is last, and I'd assume HHH/Taker will go on at about the halfway mark.

Isn't it an unspoken rule that the title match goes on last at Mania? Are they planning to break that tradition this year? If they don't, I couldn't imagine Sheamus vs Bryan going on last.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']Isn't it an unspoken rule that the title match goes on last at Mania? Are they planning to break that tradition this year? If they don't, I couldn't imagine Sheamus vs Bryan going on last.[/QUOTE]
WM8. Sid/Hogan.
WM11. LT/Bigelow.
WM26. Taker/HBK.

It's not like there isn't a precedent for it.

Regardless, there's no world in which Rock/Cena doesn't go on last. Plus, even though HHH's ego forced the WM18 incident, I think they might have actually learned their lesson after that one.

[quote name='007']WM8. Sid/Hogan.
WM11. LT/Bigelow.
WM26. Taker/HBK.

It's not like there isn't a precedent for it.

Regardless, there's no world in which Rock/Cena doesn't go on last. Plus, even though HHH's ego forced the WM18 incident, I think they might have actually learned their lesson after that one.[/QUOTE]

Also, just last year they put on Edge/ADR first for the world title.

[quote name='SEH']Also, just last year they put on Edge/ADR first for the world title.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but to be fair, Edge couldn't afford a long match so it kind of made sense.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']:lol:

What'd you yell?[/QUOTE]

"You rule, Dynamite!" maybe?

[quote name='mykevermin']...and how oddly eloquent both he and Necro Butcher could be when they were interviewed.[/QUOTE]

These are awesome. Not sure who it is interviewing him - Apter maybe - but this is about as close to the modern day equivalent of a shoot interview as you're going to get in the 80's. (parts 2 & 3 are similarly named)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YsWvII5Ljk

[quote name='007']even though HHH's ego forced the WM18 incident[/QUOTE]

Please remind me of that. I vaguely recall an interview where he defended HHH/Y2J closing WMX8 over Rock/Hogan, saying the champ goes on last, but much more recently defending the title match not closing out the show. Problem is, I don't recall what non-title match went on last b/c HHH never went on last at WM in a non-title match. Was it HBK/UT he was defending?

Anyway, Rock/Cena closes for sure. Even though Rock has been really exposed as someone who is incredibly stale, and Cena's words have impressed in recent weeks, the event is going to be in Miami, FL. The arena is going to asssssploooode for Rock.

[quote name='xilly']Yeah, but to be fair, Edge couldn't afford a long match so it kind of made sense.[/QUOTE]

I seem to recall that they didn't know anything about his condition until Monday, the day after WM. It was like "okay, Edge wins in a WM curtain jerker, they just ruined ADR's push, blah blah" and then all of a sudden "he has to RETIRE?!?!?!?!"

Awesome Brody interviews. Such a history lesson and look into the past of such a weird sport.

I love it but holy crap, this is such a weird hobby/business/sport.

I am stil wondering exactly how they are going to do the HiaC match with the stadiom being open air. It's going to have to take some time to assemble/disassemble that thing on the spot. I guess they are going to practice it a couple of times over the weekend because this is the first time it has been used in an open roof environment.

Also, as an interesting side note, one has to wonder what contingencies thay have in place in case of rain? I mean, it would be interesting to watch these matches go down during a rainstorm. Hell, a sudden sky opening and downpoor right at the end of the Taker/Trips match would actually add the the mystique of it all.

[quote name='Spyder187']I am stil wondering exactly how they are going to do the HiaC match with the stadiom being open air. It's going to have to take some time to assemble/disassemble that thing on the spot. I guess they are going to practice it a couple of times over the weekend because this is the first time it has been used in an open roof environment.

Also, as an interesting side note, one has to wonder what contingencies thay have in place in case of rain? I mean, it would be interesting to watch these matches go down during a rainstorm. Hell, a sudden sky opening and downpoor right at the end of the Taker/Trips match would actually add the the mystique of it all.[/QUOTE]

They usually have some sort of rigging that goes over the ring for lighting and whatnot anyways, so I'm sure it'll be attached to that somehow.

[quote name='mykevermin']Please remind me of that. I vaguely recall an interview where he defended HHH/Y2J closing WMX8 over Rock/Hogan, saying the champ goes on last, but much more recently defending the title match not closing out the show. Problem is, I don't recall what non-title match went on last b/c HHH never went on last at WM in a non-title match. Was it HBK/UT he was defending?

Anyway, Rock/Cena closes for sure. Even though Rock has been really exposed as someone who is incredibly stale, and Cena's words have impressed in recent weeks, the event is going to be in Miami, FL. The arena is going to asssssploooode for Rock.

I seem to recall that they didn't know anything about his condition until Monday, the day after WM. It was like "okay, Edge wins in a WM curtain jerker, they just ruined ADR's push, blah blah" and then all of a sudden "he has to RETIRE?!?!?!?!"[/QUOTE]

I'd have to dig around to find clips, but he's definitely been on both sides of the X8 debate. The timeframe after X8 was him firmly defending the decision, whereas he's jumped to the other side of the fence more recently... though I'm guessing he's never openly called it a mistake. I think so, anyway... I might be imposing the numerous times Jericho has knocked it onto HHH. Either way, HHH has openly applauded HBK/Taker's position, and I guarantee he and HBK lobbied for Flair/HBK to close out WM24.

I'm assuming a lot here, but I refuse to believe that Vince, and Vince alone, made the call to have Jericho/HHH go on last. Like I pointed out, there was already precedent for the title match not being last, and it was pretty obvious that Rock/Hogan was *big*. I view it as HHH's power play that he was granted because he didn't get to be the first Undisputed champion... and I defy anyone to tell me they honestly believe HHH wouldn't have gotten that nod if he wasn't injured when it happened.

The other point I've always made about WMX8 and egos is this... let's say that match had been what it should have been, Austin/Hogan. You can seriously tell me straight-faced Jericho/HHH still would've been last? Either way, I'm still entirely convinced that WM19 put Lesnar/Angle last over Rock/Austin 3 for no other reason than to tow the WMX8 company line of 'title always last!'.

Just a quick note about Edge, too... yeah, the day after WM was, I believe, when he went in for tests, but let's not forget, too, that they had already booked a rematch (the ladder match) at Extreme Rules before they knew he had to retire. That's what I find amazing about the situation... the booking heavily implies they had no idea of the severity of everything heading into Mania, which means they honestly booked Edge to win. Smart booking 101 would've put that title on ADR at Mania, so it's bizarre it all worked out the way it did.

[quote name='mykevermin']Please remind me of that. I vaguely recall an interview where he defended HHH/Y2J closing WMX8 over Rock/Hogan, saying the champ goes on last, but much more recently defending the title match not closing out the show. Problem is, I don't recall what non-title match went on last b/c HHH never went on last at WM in a non-title match. Was it HBK/UT he was defending?
[/QUOTE]

I think so. I think it is on the True Story of WrestleMania DVD/Blu where he reverses his comments from the WMX8 area and I think mainly in the context of HBK/UT or HBK/UT 2 anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back