The Rock Band Thread - 10/26: Rock Band 3 Out Now With Free The Doors Pack In-Game!

And a lot of the big details have been revealed:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/2010-06-10-rockband10_ST_N.htm?bctid=90946364001

Video with keyboard footage

Ever since Rock Band expanded the musical video-game stage in 2007 to add drums and vocals to the Guitar Hero experience, players have been clamoring for keyboards.

Consider that request filled. Rock Band 3 (due for the holidays for PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii) expands the virtual band to seven (drums, lead and bass guitar, keyboards, lead vocals and two harmony vocals). "With the introduction of keyboards, we get to bring a ton of amazing new music onto the platform, which will help feed the appetite for music for years to come," says Alex Rigopulos, CEO of game studio Harmonix.

Among the 83 new songs to be included, Rigopulos says, "it's hard to pick a favorite, but for The Doors to be making an appearance on Rock Band finally with their classic Break On Through, I love that one. And Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody is endlessly fun."

The success of Rock Band and follow-up Rock Band 2 propelled sales of music games to more than $1.6 billion in 2008 — with the help of competing Guitar Hero titles. Despite a wide variety of new games in 2009 including The Beatles: Rock Band and DJ Hero, annual sales fell by nearly 50%.

That slide inspired the Rock Band 3 development team to try to recapture the fun "that really started this whole phenomenon in the first place," says project director Daniel Sussman.

During the game, green, red, blue, yellow or orange keys flow on a "stream" representing the notes to be played on five corresponding keyboard keys. In a new authentic Pro mode meant to help players segue to actual instruments, all 25 keys are used; the streams shifts left and right to cover the correct keys. The keyboard also works as a MIDI keyboard that can be connected to a computer. "This is a real instrument and a real device," says senior designer Sylvain Dubrofsky.

In addition to the new keyboard controller, also due for the game's release are two advanced guitar controllers that take advantage of the Pro mode, one a full-sized, fully functional Fender guitar (all sold separately, no prices yet).

Other Rock Band 3 advances: improved animations, refined gameplay features — players can drop in and out of games, or change instruments and difficulty settings without stopping songs — and a easier-to-use song menu.

"Our ambition for Rock Band 3 was really to re-energize and reinvigorate the (music game) category and advance it and move it forward," Rigopulos says.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/2010-06-10-rockband10_VA_N.htm

Development of Rock Band 3 began immediately after the September 2008 release of Rock Band 2, says project director Daniel Sussman at Cambridge, Mass.-based Harmonix.

As work continued, the music category's slide in sales made the design team deepen their focus. "We saw a kind of staleness in terms of game-play innovation," Sussman says. "Really, the main focus of Rock Band 3 development was finding new ways to experience the music and actually doubling down, if you will, on our investment in compelling game play.

"We are adding a new instrument (a 25-key, fully functioning MIDI keyboard) and we're adding a whole new mode, which is designed basically to answer that staleness factor."

The result, he says, is "an experience that is both accessible to players who are just getting into this thing, and builds something for the hard-core player who is maybe a little bored with where music games are."

Sussman and several key members of the Rock Band team (Harmonix senior designers Sylvain Dubrofsky and Dan Teasdale, and public relations gurus John Drake of Harmonix and Jeff Castaneda of MTV Games; you can see them all playing the game in the accompanying video) recently demonstrated Rock Band 3 for USA TODAY's Game Hunters and offered a test drive of the new keyboard controller, as well as the game's new authentic Pro mode aimed at helping players develop skills usable on real instruments.

"Everybody who wants to keep playing on the instruments they already have, we have enhanced new features and new gameplay for you," Dubrofsky says. "It's up to you to decide where you take this."

More on the advances for Rock Band 3 (due for the holidays for PS3, Xbox 360, Wii and Nintendo DS):
Better story. Design your own characters and session musicians from improved character models and watch their story unfold throughout the game. Your band members are seen getting into the van to go to a show, and practicing as well as performing. They even appear as you choose songs to play. "It is a really cool way to make sure you are always in the narrative no matter which mode you are in," Teasdale says. "The entire game is essentially one story of your band."

Everything you do earns achievements in the goal-based career mode. "Previously our career modes weren't really about getting better as a Rock Band player, it was about investing time," Teasdale says. "We developed this entirely new career mode based around unlocking achievement-like goals to show your progression through the game, and also give you incentives to get better.

"We have hundreds and hundreds of these goals across instruments and gameplay modes and across (downloadable content). It is a really great way to finish Rock Band in your way, based on your skill, and not on some predetermined path of songs."

More fluid gameplay. Players can jump in or out of songs without interrupting a song already in progress. They can also change instruments or difficulty settings during a song without pausing. "It's a really cool way to get rid of that friction that players have when they are in a party situation," Teasdale says.

Another party-friendly mode, "road challenges," is described by Teasdale as "taking Rock Band 1 and 2's band world tour (mode) and merging it with Mario Party. We tried to find a way to get the core experience people had playing the band world tour and the things they really enjoyed, like getting the van or getting random set lists, and putting that into a setting that you can finish in an evening instead of a week. So now we have all these tours which are actually you going on a tour of the East Coast or touring across the world, and you are finishing that in three hours or whatever time you think you have to play."

Revamped song-filtering system. With the Rock Band library expected to grow to about 2,000 songs by year's end, it has grown too big for simply scrolling. With the new system, "you can say, 'only show me songs in Rock Band 3' or 'only songs under three minutes' or 'Eighties metal songs from my (downloadable) collection,' " Teasdale says. "It's a really cool way to take your full library down to a manageable list of songs."

Not to be forgotten, the keyboards' addition — along with carrying over the three-part harmonies from The Beatles: Rock Band and new Green Day: Rock Band games — means that "you can play as a seven -player band," Teasdale says, "which is an amazing experience."

Rock Band Pro. This new music learning mode lets players develop real-world music-playing fundamentals for keyboards, guitars and drums. More realistic music notations replace the standard color-coded notes during gameplay. For guitar, numbers flow down the screen along six guitar strings, telling you where to place your hands on the neck and when to strum.

Two new guitar controllers in the works have actual strings where you strum; one is a full-sized, fully functional six-string Squier Stratocaster from Fender. "It can tell where your fingers are based on technology in the neck and the bridge of the guitar. No buttons," Drake says. "While you're playing it, it feels exactly like playing a real guitar," because that's what you're doing.

The other is a Fender Mustang Pro controller from accessory maker Mad Catz with a field of buttons in each fret. As your fingers compress the smaller non-colored buttons on that guitar's neck, your finger positions are represented in the game's display. "You can go from plucking single notes to power chords and bar chords, we have crazy stuff like tapping and slides," Dubrofsky says. "If you ever had any aspirations of connecting with the music in a deeper way ... you are really going to like Rock Band 3."

For drums, three new cymbals are added to the standard four drum pads, and you are forced to play the correct cymbal at the right time. "It really immerses you more. You feel more like a drummer," Dubrofsky says. "It's not only for expert levels. You can come in on easy and actually play Pro drums. We have all the different levels established. It's actually really fun. You are playing up on the high hat or down on the snare, and it feels more like a kit than ever before."

On keyboards, Sussman says, "we're actually utilizing the full two-octave range that the keyboard controller has. Everything that you are playing, whether you are playing on easy or expert, is accurate musical information. The track looks like a real keyboard track, and you are playing notes on the keyboard that if you were to step away from the game and were to play on a real piano, they would be the right notes."

Pro players can use the mode for private practice or incorporate it while others play the game's standard arcade modes. "You can be an expert keys-player playing with an all easy band, no problem," Drake says.
http://content.usatoday.com/communi.../06/rock-band-3-the-songs-announced-so-far-/1
Rock Band 3, which adds keyboards to the music game setup, will feature keyboard parts in most of the planned 83 songs on the game disc when it hits stores this holiday shopping season.

"There's this whole other world of music where keyboards plays a prominent role that has been largely neglected (in Rock Band games) because of instrumentation," says Harmonix CEO and co-founder Alex Rigopulos. "The introduction of keyboards ... gives us access to a new world of content."

See our full coverage including a video of the Harmonix developers playing the game here.

For the partial song list, announced today (by decade), click below:

2000s
Combat Baby -- Metric
Dead End Friends -- Them Crooked Vultures
Get Free -- The Vines
Lasso -- Phoenix
Me Enamora -- Juanes
Oh My God -- Ida Maria
Portions of Foxes -- Rilo Kiley
The Hardest Button to Button -- The White Stripes

1990s
Been Caught Stealing -- Jane's Addiction
In the Meantime -- Spacehog
Plush -- Stone Temple Pilots
Walkin' on the Sun -- Smash Mouth

1980s
Crazy Train -- Ozzy Osbourne
Here I Go Again -- Whitesnake
I Love Rock and Roll -- Joan Jett
Just Like Heaven -- The Cure
Rainbow in the Dark -- Dio
The Power of Love -- Huey Lewis and the News
Sister Christian -- Night Ranger

1960s-1970s
Bohemian Rhapsody -- Queen
Break On Through -- The Doors
Crosstown Traffic -- Jimi Hendrix

About the game, Rigopulos says, "if you are a really casual player, you just like to play at parties or whatnot, we are offering a bunch of great new seamless party play. If you are looking for something new, of course we are adding the vocal harmonies and the keyboards, which lets up to seven people play together and is a helluva lot of fun in a social party context.

"If you are someone who is looking for a deeper challenge either because you are an expert player looking for the next level of challenge or because you actually have musical aspirations, there is the Pro game play (mode), which is really going to start to close the gap between simulated music and real musicmaking."

:whee: Completely pumped! :bouncy:

Lovin' the keyboard and interested to see how realistic those new guitars are. I also can't wait to discover some new music from the RB3 setlist. :D

im annoyed. keyboards and advanced guitars sound good and all. spending another $250 on another set of instruments and $10-$20 to import songs again doesnt sounds too fun.

I'll probably pick up the keyboard, although I doubt I'll do well at it. I only recognize 3 of those 2000s bands. I wish it was Kaiser Chiefs' "Oh My God"

Day one purchase.

im annoyed. keyboards and advanced guitars sound good and all. spending another $250 on another set of instruments and $10-$20 to import songs again doesnt sounds too fun.
If you already imported the songs on your hard drive it should be fine. The DLC from any Rock Band game works with Rock Band, Rock Band 2, and even Lego. I am just wondering how much the Keyboard controller will be sold for.

Last edited by a moderator:
The new features and set list look great, love all the 60s-70s and 90s songs, plus The CURE, finally! I can't wait! Not sure if I'll buy new peripherals, but I could be interested in brushing up my real guitar skills or getting into keyboard after quitting piano 15 years ago. Have to see how the guitar works. Since it'll be a Squier, I expect it to go for about $100 or a tad more to account for the added controller hardware. That wouldn't be a terrible price for a basic guitar to people like me who need motivation to practice more. :lol:

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']im annoyed. keyboards and advanced guitars sound good and all. spending another $250 on another set of instruments and $10-$20 to import songs again doesnt sounds too fun.[/QUOTE]

I agree, just hand out the keyboard for free. wtf is it with corporations wanting to make money.

No need to buy the new instruments buddy unless YOU want the NEW experience. They are not being pushed on YOU, EXISTING instruments WILL work. So take a chill pill man.

I can't wait. I for one want the NEW experience. Harmonix in my opinion does a lot for its customers. They didn't need to have the game be backwards compatible with all the od stuff. I'm very SATISFIED with their approach to treating customers.

[quote name='FroMann']Day one purchase.

If you already imported the songs on your hard drive it should be fine. The DLC from any Rock Band game works with Rock Band, Rock Band 2, and even Lego. I am just wondering how much the Keyboard controller will be sold for.[/QUOTE]
I think he's expecting to have to pay to export the Rock Band 2 songs. And while RB1 was only $5, we can probably expect $10 for this export. $20 is getting a little dramatic.

http://www.rockband.com/zine/rock-band-3-announcements

Harmonix has their own blog post to reveal the game and its features:
rb3_box_art.jpg

You asked for it! Here's your first glimpse at the new features, songs, and instruments for Rock Band 3! This game has mind-blowing new modes and instruments - including Pro Mode and a keyboard peripheral! - and more music than any other music game. Let's get right into it:

rb3_band_wo_gameplay.jpg

New style of Rock Band 3 characters

The Music:
Rock Band 3 will have an incredible 83-song setlist, as well as support for the over 1,500 existing Rock Band tracks (Rock Band and Rock Band 2 discs, DLC, track packs, AC/DC Live: Rock Band Track Pack, LEGO Rock Band, and Green Day: Rock Band). The setlist contains songs from some of the best bands from around the world, including bands that have never appeared in a music game! Don't think it stops there - the regular weekly DLC releases will continue after Rock Band 3's release.

Today we're announcing a handful of the 83 on-disc tracks for Rock Band 3, spanning five decades:

2000s:

• Metric - "Combat Baby"
  • Rilo Kiley - "Portions for Foxes"
  • Them Crooked Vultures - "Dead End Friends"
  • The Vines - "Get Free"
  • The White Stripes - "The Hardest Button to Button"
  • Phoenix - "Lasso"
  • Ida Maria - "Oh My God"
  • Juanes - "Me Enamora"
1990s:

• Jane's Addiction - "Been Caught Stealing"
  • Stone Temple Pilots - "Plush"
  • Smash Mouth - "Walkin' on the Sun"
  • Spacehog - "In the Meantime"
1980s:

• Dio - "Rainbow in the Dark"
  • Huey Lewis and the News - "The Power of Love"
  • Joan Jett - "I Love Rock and Roll"
  • Night Ranger - "Sister Christian"
  • Whitesnake - "Here I Go Again"
  • The Cure - "Just Like Heaven"
  • Ozzy Osbourne - "Crazy Train"
1970s:

• Queen - "Bohemian Rhapsody"
1960s:

• Jimi Hendrix - "Crosstown Traffic"
  • The Doors - "Break On Through"
Rock Band 3 also includes an improved Music Library, allowing players to create and save setlists, and share them with friends, both in-game and right here on RockBand.com. Song filtering will make it easier to find the tracks you want to play. You can also hide the songs you don't want to play, and seek out new songs using a built-in song recommendation system based on personal preferences.

rb3_drummer.jpg

Rock Band 3 drummer

The Instruments:
In addition to the plastic guitars, bass, drums, and vocals you're used to, now you can jam on a couple of new instruments. Play vocal harmonies with up to three players like you did in The Beatles: Rock Band. And for the first time ever you'll also be able to play using a keyboard peripheral! The band has gotten bigger - playing with all available instruments, you and six friends can all rock at the same time. Rock Band parties will never be the same.

rb3_keys_screen.jpg

Keyboards in Rock Band 3

If you're ready to take the next step in music gaming, check out Rock Band 3's Pro Mode. Ever had someone ask you why you play plastic guitar instead of learning a real instrument? Now you can tell them you ARE learning a real instrument. Rock Band 3 empowers players to develop actual musical skills through the fun of Rock Band Pro gameplay. Start at Easy and work your way up through Expert on three different Pro Modes, just like you did with the plastic guitars and plastic drums.

• Pro Drums supports three expansion cymbals, with gameplay differentiation between toms and cymbals.
  • Pro Keys features pitch-accurate keyboard performance across a two-octave range, displayed on an easy-to-read keyboard track.
  • Pro Guitar features notated guitar and bass performances, available for play with either the new Fender Mustang PRO-Guitar simulated guitar controller from Mad Catz or the Rock Band 3 Squier by Fender Stratocaster Guitar real guitar/controller hybrid. The Rock Band 3 Squier Stratocaster is a fully functional, full-sized, six-string electric guitar that also functions as a game controller that Fender and Harmonix have teamed up to develop.
All Pro Modes include tutorials and a difficulty progression from Easy through Expert, giving you the chance to learn at your own speed. And if you're not ready to take that leap - or you just don't want to buy another instrument peripheral - Rock Band 3 will be compatible with all Rock Band and The Beatles: Rock Band peripherals, as well as most third-party controllers.

New Gameplay:
Party Mode: Get the party started faster and keep it going all night! Party Shuffle lets you start the game immediately, while persistent drop-in/drop-out lets players take turns (or take a break!) without interrupting the flow of play. You'll also be able to choose (or change!) your difficulty on any gameplay screen - including mid-song.

rb3_band_screen.jpg

Rock Band 3 gameplay

Career Mode: If a more long-term play is your style, get ready for over 700 goals and rewards, with seamless leaderboard integration, for a deep campaign experience.

Social Networking: Rock Band 3 adds social networking tools so you can interact with friends and fellow Rock Band rockers using Facebook, Twitter, and more.

If that's not enough Rock Band 3 info for you, check out the video below from USAToday.com and the accompanying article featuring quotes and information from Rock Band 3 team, including Lead Designer Dan Teasdale, Project Director Daniel Sussman, and Harmonix CEO and Co-Founder Alex Rigopulos.

And that's not all! Stay tuned over the next few weeks and months to get all the details on Rock Band 3, including the rest of the 83-song setlist, more details about Career Mode's goals and rewards, and just how awesome Pro Mode really is. Plus more behind-the-scenes info from the Rock Band 3 design team!
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/101022.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/101091.html

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/arch...-pro-guitar-box-art-and-pricing-revealed.aspx

We've got details on the new instruments with pricing now that Madcatz has taken over for first-party Rock Band instruments:

Mad Catz is now completely taking over peripheral duties from Harmonix and MTV Games. While they will be releasing new traditional Rock Band guitars, drums, and "improved" mics, today we've got the full rundown on the new keyboard, fancy pro guitar, and other odds and sods. Get your wallets ready. Reality comes at a cost.

·Rock Band 3 Wireless Keyboard Controller: $79.99

·Rock Band 3 Game & Wireless Keyboard Controller Bundle: $129.99

"Designed for use exclusively with Rock Band 3, the Wireless Keyboard Controller has been crafted to resemble classic professional keyboards and is playable on a secure flat surface or while strapped over the player’s shoulder. Empowering gamers to take their enjoyment of rhythm music gaming to the next level, the Wireless Keyboard Controller also functions as a MIDI keyboard, boasting a two-octave (C3 to C5) range and non-weighted, velocity-sensitive key bed allowing gamers to take full advantage of the Rock Band Pro mode. The MIDI output connector provides compatibility with MIDI software sequencers and hardware devices while standard console-specific gaming controller buttons deliver seamless console integration and the Wireless Keyboard Controller can also be used to play the lead guitar or bass parts of the game. An optional Keyboard Stand will be sold separately and is expected to be available alongside the launch of Rock Band 3."

·Rock Band 3 Wireless Fender Mustang PRO-Guitar Controller: $149.99

"Introducing a new level of realism to the rhythm music genre, the Wireless Fender Mustang PRO-GuitarController is designed for use exclusively with Rock Band 3, allowing gamers to accurately replicate a real guitar when playing Rock Band Pro mode in the game. Featuring 17 frets along a button-based neck, the Fender Mustang PRO-Guitar includes a 6-string strumming area which allows for discrete picking of each string and a touch-sensitive string box which allows players to mute or ‘cut-off’ notes when pressed. In addition, the Fender Mustang PRO-Guitar operates as a fully functional MIDI guitar, with the MIDI output connector providing compatibility with MIDI software sequencers and hardware devices while standard console-specific gaming controller buttons deliver seamless console integration and navigation of the game menus. The Fender Mustang PRO-Guitar allows for left or right handed use and can also be used to play either lead or bass parts of the game in Rock Band Pro and standard game modes."

·Rock Band 3 Wireless PRO-Cymbals Expansion Kit: $39.99

"Compatible with all wireless Rock Band drum kits, the Wireless PRO-Cymbals Expansion Kit features three newly designed Rock Band 3 cymbals which have been re-engineered for quiet operation. Fully supporting the Rock Band Pro mode where the cymbals represent Hi-Hat, Crash and Ride, the cymbals can also be used in standard game modes for all Rock Band software. Improved from the Rock Band™ 2 cymbals, the new PRO-Cymbals boast quieter sound with noise-dampening rubber covering the full surface area of the cymbal. The PRO-Cymbals also feature enhanced responsiveness, essential when playing in Rock Band Pro mode. In addition, the redesigned Rock Band 3 cymbals now permanently rest at a pre-defined 10° angle, better positioned for accurate play. The PRO-Cymbals are also available as part of the Rock Band 3 Wireless Drum and Cymbal Kit (sold separately)."

· Rock Band 3 MIDI PRO-Adapter: $39.99

"Designed for use exclusively with Rock Band 3, theMIDI PRO-Adapter allows musicians to use their real MIDI keyboards or MIDI drum sets to play Rock Band 3. Plugging directly into the console via USB, the MIDI PRO-Adapter works as an interface between the console and MIDI instrument, converting the MIDI messages into console controller data which the game translates into on screen action. The MIDI PRO-Adapter features a velocity sensitive adjustment for MIDI drums designed to reduce cross-talk during play. A full D-Pad and standard gaming controller buttons are located on the PRO-Adapter to deliver seamless console integration and navigation of the game menus. Shipswith a removable clip, allowing MIDI PRO-Adapter to be attached to a belt, or rest on a table top or similar flat surface."
I'll probably get the keyboard bundle.

I am so excited simply put. I just want to see what all the bundles look like because I do need new guitars and I a new drum set would be nice simply for the cymbals. and I was sold on the Hardest Button to Button. Love the White Stripes.

Keyboard is expensive, but I still want it. I was hoping I can get both the game and keyboard for a hundred bucks.

Probably beyond the scope of this new keyboard peripheral (though I can hope and pray!), but what about all of the "old" RB1/2/Lego and DLC songs with sweet keyboard parts? And The Beatles?

Also, the pro drum set looks a whole lot like my current setup, which is the RB2 set with three Mad Catz cymbals. Now, I'm sure they improved the new cymbals, so there is incentive to upgrade, but the old cymbals and drums should work with the pro mode, right?

Well you can play guitar and bass on keyboard also I think. So it can work with some songs from groups like Gorillaz, Freezepop, Lady gaga (I bought the Eric Cartman version :cool:) and Kansas.

They've mentioned that some songs have extra data in their files for special features, so I could see some songs already being compatible with the new hardware.

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196232

We have a release date:
MTV Games and Harmonix Announce Rock Band™3 Pre-Order Campaigns at GameStop, Wal-Mart and Amazon Pre-Order Rock Band 3 Now and Receive Great Promotional Offers Including Exclusive Downloadable Content and Credit Toward Future Purchases

NEW YORK, NY – July 19, 2010 - MTV Games, a part of Viacom’s MTV Networks (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), and Harmonix Music Systems Inc. today announced consumer pre-order opportunities with major North American retailers GameStop, Wal-Mart and Amazon for the highly anticipated Rock Band™3.

With more than 30 awards and nominations following its impressive E3 2010 debut, including multiple Best Music and Best Casual/Social game accolades, Rock Band 3 will feature an incredible 83-song setlist and access to far more music than any other music game, as well as innovative new gameplay modes and instruments. The game will ship on October 26, 2010 in North America for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft (MSRP: $59.99), PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system (MSRP: $59.99), the Wii™ system from Nintendo (MSRP: $59.99), and Nintendo DS™ (MSRP: $29.99).

GameStop Pre-order* Opportunity:
GameStop shoppers who reserve Rock Band 3 for PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 in advance receive three downloadable Rock Band songs at launch:

• Burning Down the House by Talking Heads
• My Own Summer by Deftones
• Blue Monday by New Order

Amazon Pre-order* Opportunity:
Amazon shoppers who reserve Rock Band 3 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii in advance will receive access to an exclusive in-game guitar. Additionally, for a limited time only, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 owners who pre-order Rock Band 3 in advance on Amazon will receive $10 off a future videogame purchase.

Wal-Mart Pre-order* Opportunity:
Walmart.com shoppers who reserve Rock Band 3 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii in advance will receive a $10 eGift card for a limited time.

Developed by Harmonix, the world’s premier music videogame company, published by MTV Games, and distributed by Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS), Rock Band 3 will ship simultaneously worldwide in North America, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and other territories. Rock Band 3 will be compatible with all Rock Band™ and The Beatles™: Rock Band™ peripherals, as well as most Guitar Hero® and third-party instrument and microphone controllers. Mad Catz is the official peripheral manufacturer and distributor for Rock Band 3 game controllers.

The Rock Band platform stands next to none in music content, with 2000 songs scheduled to be available at the launch of Rock Band 3, including Jimi Hendrix, The Who, AC/DC and Green Day - all exclusive to Rock Band. With more choices for fans than any other music-based videogame, Rock Band is, without question, the industry leader in providing the best selection of interactive musical content, songs and artists. Rock Band pioneered offering content in a variety of ways, through on-disc gameplay, game export, downloadable content and the Rock Band Network. The Rock Band platform allows fans to interact with their favorite music in a unique and hands-on way, as well as giving artists the ability to reach fans through a whole new channel.

For more information on Rock Band 3, art and video assets, please visit http://www.rockband.com/press.

*Conditions and restrictions apply. Please see retailer for details.
###

Personally I don't want the keytar...I want a new guitar. Currently trying to find out which one is the best one for the best price (360).

Wish it wasn't so close to the Gran Turismo 5 release date, but I will probably pick this up on launch day.

[quote name='FroMann']Wish it wasn't so close to the Gran Turismo 5 release date, but I will probably pick this up on launch day.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. Looking at release dates I may just grab Fallout New Vegas and GT5 (both CEs) and hold off until there's a deal on this.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/24/six-more-rock-band-3-songs-and-one-for-dance-central-revealed/

Six new songs revealed for RB3 during Comic Con:
  • "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears
  • "Rock Lobster" by The B-52s
  • "Foolin'" by Def Leppard
  • "Beautiful People" by Marilyn Manson
  • "Hey Man, Nice Shot" by Filter
  • "Cold as Ice" by Foreigner
I'm glad that they finally got around to Beautiful People since that was a song I was hoping would appear as DLC when they released some MM songs a few months ago. I'm surprised that they didn't go for Pour Some Sugar On Me from Def Leppard instead of Foolin'.

The only bundle at the moment is the keyboard bundle and any others are up to retailers for what they're willing to stock since Harmonix/Mad Catz don't want to fill up the aisles with more boxes.

I found a great article on the Rock Band site that describes almost anything you'd need to know about the keyboard controller:

Unless you're living in a cave, you've probably heard by now that Rock Band 3 is introducing a new peripheral – the keyboard! But what does that mean, and how does that work? I asked Sylvain Dubrofsky, Senior Designer extraordinaire, to chat a bit about the work he's been doing on keyboards.

So Sylvain, tell us about yourself!
I'm a Senior Designer at Harmonix. My main focus here on Rock Band 3 has been working on gameplay design. It's my privilege on behalf of all the developers working on gameplay to give you an in-depth peek into a new instrument for Rock Band 3: the keyboard!

Most important question first: What does the hardware look like?
The keyboard in Rock Band 3 is really unique. It's a wireless, two-octave keyboard that is playable as a keyboard (on your lap, stand, or coffee table) or standing with a strap. The performance aspect of Rock Band is important, so we want to give players the ability to stand up and rock if they choose.

Take a look:
keyprofile.jpg

Behold The Keyboard!

Built into the keyboard are the console controls. You'll also notice that the keyboard has a button to deploy Overdrive and a touch strip to control a cool filter modulation effect whenever Overdrive is deployed.

One last cool thing – the keyboard is a full, two-octave MIDI keyboard. Just connect the MIDI output to any MIDI-compliant device and you're set!

So, how do I use the Keyboard Controller to play keys in Rock Band 3?
Keyboards in Rock Band 3 have two main modes of play: "Keys" and "Pro Keys". Like every other instrument in Rock Band, you can either play these modes solo or play as part of a full band.

The design goals for keys were pretty simple:

• Needs to be party accessible
  • Needs to be familiar to people who like Rock Band already
  • Needs to be as simple as possible while still feeling authentic and keyboard-like
Pro Keys, however, had a different set of design goals:

• It needs to be "Pro." In other words, I should be having fun playing an actual keys part.
  • Every note is always an accurate pitch.
  • Every part is technically possible to play with one hand. That's important if you're playing while standing.
  • Songs can use every key of the two-octave keyboard.
With these goals in mind and after a bunch of time in development, we've come up with something really fun and rewarding.

What does the straight "Keys" mode look like?
KEYBasicExpert.jpg

Basic Key Track on Expert

Looks familiar, right?

Playing Keys Mode is pretty simple. Each of the five white keys from the C key to the G key will smash a note on the lanes from left to right. There's also a handy guide on the Keyboard to show you where those keys are if you're not musically inclined.

As you'd expect, players can also pick a difficulty from Easy to Expert.

That looks a lot like the standard guitar track. Can I play guitar and bass tracks on the keyboard too?
You sure can! As well as Keys and Pro Keys, you can also choose to play guitar and bass parts on the keyboard for any song in the Rock Band Music Library. So if the keyboard peripheral is the only one you have, you can still play different parts in the game!

That's pretty cool for starters, but the Pro Keys mode sounds like it's more up my alley. How does that even work in a Rock Band game?
Let's check out the track:
KEYS.jpg

Key Notes

For Pro Keys, we always show 10 white keys (of the possible 15) at a time. After much iteration with different track sizes and layouts, we determined this to be an ideal range to show in any band configuration.

To help players understand what key to press, we came up with a color scheme that chunks the two octaves of the keyboard into five color regions. Additionally, lines extend into the distance from the black keys. These visual cues are also on the hardware and are important for determining which of the many possible notes are coming down the track.

That's a fair chunk of data. How do I know where my hand is when I'm playing?
Whenever a key is pushed down, the lane for that key will light up, as you can see here.

KEYHelddown.jpg

Key Held Down

This is a good visual indicator for where your hand is. It's really handy for making sure you're looking at the screen rather than looking down at the hardware. This currently held key highlight also serves as a useful pivot for where you will need to press to get the next note.

Speaking of notes, these are what notes look like on the track:
KEYNotes.jpg

Key Notes

Notes are either white or black. Black keys are smaller and are positioned on one of the lines extending from the black keys on the track. The position of a note on the color region indicates which key needs to be pressed to smash the note.

How hard is this to pick up?
Just like every Rock Band instrument, Pro Keys has four difficulty levels, from Easy to Expert.

We've found that jumping right in to Pro Keys on Easy or even Medium is very similar to the experience you may remember from playing guitar or drums the first time. After a song or two, it becomes second nature.

As you go up in difficulty, the game definitely gets challenging. Chords, trills, glissandos and other cool keyboard things are introduced as you choose harder difficulty levels.

If youre looking for the next thing to try to master, Expert Pro Keys is definitely a huge challenge!

You mentioned chords just before. What do those look like when they show up?
Here's a good example of a chord from a song on Medium:
KEYSMedium.jpg

Keys On Medium

In addition to notes existing at the same point in time, chords also have a base that connects the notes. In this example, the chords are also sustained, which means the keys should be held down after the notes are smashed for maximum points. Chords can be two notes on Medium, up to three notes on Hard, and up to four notes on Expert.

Wait, if you're only showing ten lanes at once, how do you fit a two octave keyboard on screen?
See how the track above is showing a different color range from our previous example? Our audio team picks the best range of the track for every song and every difficulty. On Easy and Medium, the range will never change within a song. However, when Hard or Expert difficulty is selected, the track can shift to show a different portion of the keyboard while the song is playing!

This is how track shifting works: The four beats before a track shift have arrows on the track that indicate the direction of the track shift. The track then will shift to the side, revealing a different portion of the keyboard. Track shifts are important at higher difficulties so we can properly display notes for songs with a lot of range.

This is awesome. Any last words or thoughts you want to leave the rockband.com audience with?
As a person who posted to RockBand.com before I worked at Harmonix, thank you for your continued interest in the Rock Band franchise. Stay tuned - we have more really exciting stuff to show off soon!
Some more RB3 details from Rock Band Aide:
The first thing is the mention of the new Goal from Dan Teasdale that is the “spiritual successor” to the Bladder of Steel. The new Goal in Rock Band 3 is called “Obsessive Compulsive,” and involves “hitting every note in Rock Band 3.” …I know. It does not need to be done in a single sitting, however. No further details on this right now, but this makes the Bladder of Steel look like child’s play.

@HMXHenry commented that while they have not committed to “upgrading” existing DLC, he said that Harmonix is open to hearing requests from the community as to what they may like to see “upgraded” to Rock Band 3. How convenient, as I have a post nearly all ready to go with 400+ respondents providing just that!

As for pro-guitar compatibility, @OneOfSwords mentioned that the new Squier guitar will NOT be playable on normal charts, and @ElektraFi said that Harmonix commented that the Mustang, because of its buttons, “should.”

There is career paths for ALL instruments (including bass).

The Rock Band 3 Music Store will feature LOTS of enhancements, and will integrate RBN tracks MUCH better than before, mostly being that all tracks (official and RBN) will be featured in the same place.

I haven't played RB in months so I probably won't be getting RB3 when it comes out. But how about the Snoop Dogg 8 pack? I'm about to get a couple songs just to see how hip hop works in RB.

Harmonix was on the new Giant Bomb live show with Rock Band 3 and one of the things they mentioned was that they're switching to RB3 DLC (with pro mode and keyboards) when the game launches. That means that RB1/2 people will not be getting any more DLC if they don't buy RB3.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/09/17/psn-exclusive-rock-band-dlc-sale-next-week/

Songs, track packs, and albums are going on sale from the 21st to the 5th:
  • R.E.M – Losing My Religion (now $0.99, original price $1.99)
  • Flyleaf – Again (now $0.99, original price $1.99)
  • Avenged Sevenfold – Bat Country (now $0.99, original price $1.99)
  • The Runaways – Cherry Bomb (now $0.99, original price $1.99)
  • Anberlin – Feel Good Drag (now $0.99, original price $1.99)
  • Stone Temple Pilots – Interstate Love Song (now $0.99, original price $1.99)
  • Jane’s Addiction Nothing’s Shocking Album (now $7.99, original price $15.99)
  • Megadeth Rust in Peace (now $7.49, original price $14.99)
  • Pantera The Great Southern Trendkill Album (now $7.99, original price $15.99)
  • Rush Moving Pictures Album (now $5.49, original price $10.99)
  • Slipknot 01 Track Pack (now $2.99, original price $5.49)
  • Night Ranger 01 Track Pack (now $2.99, original price $5.49)
  • Foreigner 01 Track Pack (now $2.99, original price $5.49)
  • Rise Against 01 Track Pack (now $2.99, original price $5.49)
  • The Offspring 01 Track Pack (now $2.99, original price $5.49)
  • The White Stripes 02 Track Pack (now $2.99, original price $5.49)
  • Nine Inch Nails 01 Track Pack (now $2.99, original price $5.49)
  • Foo Fighters 03 Track Pack (now $3.49, original price $6.99)
  • REO Speedwagon/Styx Tour ’09 Track Pack (now $5.49, original price $10.99)
  • Creedence Clearwater Revival 01 Track Pack (now $9.99, original price $19.99)

WHAT THE fuck. Now you will have to buy the keyboard and game separately for PS3. Nothing too big really, but this means you have to pay an extra 10 dollars and possibly extra for Shipping and Handling two items rather than one.

Hey gang,

You may have seen that retailers have taken down the Rock Band 3 keyboard/software bundle pre-orders for PlayStation 3. Unfortunately, this SKU will not be available in the U.S. (including Canada and Mexico) due to the agreement terms for the region. However, Mad Catz and MTV Games are working with those retailers that accepted pre-orders to enable them, if they choose, to honor those pre-orders placed prior to this change as soft bundles (separate discs and keyboards), at pre-order pricing. These retailers will have more details shortly.

Please note:

· Moving forward, the keyboard and Rock Band 3 software will continue to be available as stand-alone products for PlayStation 3 in the US.

· This does not affect European customers as the Rock Band 3 keyboard/software PS3 bundles will still be available in Europe.

· The Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii keyboard/software bundles are still available for pre-order.

For more Rock Band 3 news, please keep posted to the Announcement forum and upcoming press releases.
http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201785

Recently, fans began noticing that the PS3 Rock Band 3 keyboard bundle had disappeared from US retailer listings. The $130 bundle is still available for pre-order on Xbox and WIi, and both the keyboard and game are available separately on PS3. Just ... no bundle. And that means that Rock Band 3 and the keyboard, together, are effectively ten dollars more expensive on PS3.

Harmonix addressed this baffling omission today, announcing that due to "the agreement terms for the region," the PS3 keyboard bundle will not be available in the US, though the game and keyboard will be available separately. "This does not affect European customers as the Rock Band 3 keyboard/software PS3 bundles will still be available in Europe," the announcement states. We've contacted the developer to find out what exactly this agreement entails. If Harmonix sings, we'll let you know.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/02/ps3-rock-band-3-keyboard-bundle-wont-be-sold-in-us/

Well now that Gran Turismo 5 is delayed I will pick up Rock Band 3 on launch day instead, and look what was announced today by Harmonix!

Get Three Free DLC Songs From The Doors! Plus a Nine-Pack of Hits

Excited that The Doors are on the Rock Band 3 setlist with "Break On Through"? We are too! So excited, in fact, that we're giving anyone that buys Rock Band 3 during its release week THREE MORE free Doors songs! Check out the in-game Rock Band Music Store in Rock Band 3 to get the tracks.

A threec-pack of songs featuring "Light My Fire," "Riders on the Storm," and "Touch Me" will be available Oct. 26 - Nov. 1 only. All three songs will contain Pro Guitar and Pro Bass parts, as well as Keys, Pro Keys, Pro Drums, and standard Rock Band instrument parts. These songs will also be available for Wii as free single downloads, which includes Drums, Pro Drums, Keys, Pro Keys and five-button guitar and bass, as well as free downloads of an expansion that will add Pro Guitar and Pro Bass parts. These songs, like all Rock Band 3 downloadable content, feature five-button guitar and bass, Drums, Pro Drums and Keys, Pro Keys and harmonies where applicable, and are the first pieces of downloadable content authored to also include Pro Guitar and Pro Bass!

To get the three free songs, buy Rock Band 3 during the release week, play online, and grab the tracks from the in-game Rock Band Music Store before November 2nd.

Additionally, a nine-pack of songs from The Doors will also be available for download that week. This includes some of the classic rockers' most-loved songs, like "Hello, I Love You," "L.A. Woman," "Love Her Madly" and "Roadhouse Blues," all featuring Drums, Pro Drums, five-button guitar and bass parts and, where applicable, harmonies and Keys/Pro Keys parts. A complete list of the songs that will be available follows:

"Light My Fire" (Free from Oct. 26 – Nov. 1 in game, features Pro Guitar and Pro Bass)
"Riders on the Storm" (Free from Oct. 26 – Nov. 1 in game, features Pro Guitar and Pro Bass)
"Touch Me" (Free from Oct. 26 – Nov. 1 in game, features Pro Guitar and Pro Bass)
"Hello, I Love You"
"L.A. Woman"
"Love Her Madly"
"Love Me Two Times"
"Peace Frog"
"People Are Strange"
"Roadhouse Blues"
"Soul Kitchen"
"The Crystal Ship"
Beginning Nov. 2, The Door's Rock Band downloads will be available for purchase only as individual songs or in a bundle of all 12 songs.

Instructions to download the tracks for each console are below.

Xbox & PlayStation3 Instructions:

Step 1: Buy Rock Band 3!
Step 2: Insert Rock Band 3 into your console and power on your console
Step 3: On the Main Menu screen of Rock Band 3, select GET MORE SONGS
Step 4: Select ROCK BAND MUSIC STORE
Step 5: Sort through the Rock Band Music Library and select the pack labeled The Doors RB3 Free Launch Pack and select PURCHASE.
Step 6: On the next screen that pops up, select CONFIRM PURCHASE.
Wii Instructions:

Step 1: Buy Rock Band 3!
Step 2: Insert Rock Band 3 into your console and power on your console
Step 3: On the Main Menu screen of Rock Band 3, select GET MORE SONGS
Step 4: Select ROCK BAND MUSIC STORE
Step 5: Sort through the Rock Band music library and select each of Free tracks "Light My Fire," "Riders of the Storm" and "Touch Me" and select PURCHASE.
Step 6: On the next screen that pops up, select CONFIRM PURCHASE.
You will need to repeat Steps 5 & 6 for each of the 3 songs as well as each of the 3 Pro add-ons

http://www.rockband.com/zine/free-doors-dlc

In case your too lazy to read. Harmonix will be giving out 3 songs from The Doors for free if you buy Rock Band 3 on the first week. I am even more excited now for this games release since The Doors is one of my favorite bands from the 60s.

Here are some updates on news about Rock Band 3 that hasn't been posted here yet.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/13/rock-band-dlc-web-widget-makes-sense-of-2000-song-setlist/

Harmonix has released a Music Finder widget that lets you sort through the huge RB library of songs in your browser, though it needs a platform option.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/29/all-rock-band-3-dlc-to-include-pro-keyboard-and-drums-pro-gui/

Rock Band 3 DLC will continue to be $1.99 and include Pro Keyboards and Drums, though you will have to pay an extra $0.99 for Pro Guitar that will be offered when Harmonix thinks the songs deserve it. This DLC is still exclusive to RB3, though they're working on upgrading some older songs with RB3 features:

There are plans to retrofit earlier DLC with Pro tracks, however DeGooyer was unable to clarify how the process would work. Apparently, the studio is having trouble making a system that "recognizes people who have already purchased" DLC in order to "be able to supply the updated file at a discount."

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/08/bon-jovi-greatest-hits-album-to-be-released-as-rock-band-3-dlc/

A Bon Jovi Greatest Hits Collection will be coming to RB3 as DLC soon after the launch, which Harmonix hints at having 12 songs from the CD release. Here's the list of all of the songs on the two CD set for you to see what's possibly coming to RB3.

Billy Joel DLC announced for RB3:

Billy Joel has won six Grammy® Awards since his first hit in 1973. He has sold more than 100 million records worldwide, is a member of the Songwriters’ Hall of Fame and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and beginning Dec. 14, some of Billy Joel’s most-loved songs including:

“Big Shot”
“Captain Jack”
“It’s Still Rock N Roll to Me”
“Movin’ Out”
“Only The Good Die Young”
“Piano Man”
“Pressure”
“Say Goodbye to Hollywood”
“The Entertainer”
“The Stranger”

will be available as Rock Band 3 downloadable content and will include Keys and Pro Keys parts.

[quote name='200STM']How much is the export fee for rockband2 (RB2->RB3) and also is there a code we need to use?[/QUOTE]

$10 for the export, You are supposed to use a code on the back of your Rock Band 2 manual that was used for the free 20 track pack and enter the code on a website that gives you a code to use on the PlayStation store I am guessing, however the export is not available yet for Rock Band 3 owners on PlayStation 3. There should be more details on rockband.com when the site is finished updating. Also these songs will not be appearing on Rock Band 3.

AC/DC - "Let There Be Rock" (can still be played from the AC/DC live track pack which can be exported to your hard drive)
Journey - "Any Way You Want It"
Metallica - "Battery"
Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Give It Away"
Soundgarden - "Spoonman"

Some bands from Harmonix (Bang Camaro for example) will also have their songs missing from the Rock Band 2 export but Harmonix will later provide a free track pack for those songs to use in Rock Band 3. These will also not be playable in Rock Band 3, even if they are already on your hard drive.

Soundgarden - "Black Hole Sun"
Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Dani California"

Damn it Soundgarden why did you have to side with Guitar Hero. :bomb:

bread's done
Back