The Rock Band Thread - 10/26: Rock Band 3 Out Now With Free The Doors Pack In-Game!

Not going to miss any of those, except for Journey. Spoonman came up so often in mystery setlists that I'm completely sick of it. It was like the In Bloom of Rock Band 2.

[quote name='metaly']Not going to miss any of those, except for Journey. Spoonman came up so often in mystery setlists that I'm completely sick of it. It was like the In Bloom of Rock Band 2.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. True.

[quote name='jonlubbe']I Love that there is already a 1.01 patch today for rb3.[/QUOTE]
Some games get a patch on release day so owners that got the game early cannot play online before the launch date, Tekken 6 did the same thing. I may be wrong though. I have no idea what the patch did but thats a guess.

Okay here is how you export Rock Band 2 songs onto Rock Band 3, straight from rockband.com
Exporting Songs from Rock Band 2 (PlayStation®3)*:
  • Visit www.rockband.com/ps3-export
  • Enter the code from the back of your Rock Band 2 manual where prompted. (Note: This will be the same code that you used to get the “Bonus Downloadable Tracks,” but the web address is different.
  • Copy down the code given to you from the website for use in Rock Band 3.
  • Load up Rock Band 3.
  • Select “Get More Songs” from the Main Menu of Rock Band 3.
  • Select “Redeem Code.”
  • Enter the code that you received from the website.

Please note that the following songs from the original Rock Band cannot be exported into any other titles:
    • "Enter Sandman" by Metallica
    • "Paranoid" as made famous by Black Sabbath
    • "Run to the Hills" as made famous by Iron Maiden
    • "Monsoon" by Tokio Hotel (from the European version of Rock Band)
    • *Please also note that the following songs from the original Rock Band cannot be exported into Rock Band 3:
    • "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden
    • "Dani California" by Red Hot Chili Peppers
    • "Hier Kommt Alex" by Die Toten Hosen (from the European version of Rock Band)
    • "Rock 'n' Roll Star" by Oasis (from the European version of Rock Band)
http://www.rockband.com/support/export-rock-band#exportrockband2ps3

[quote name='jonlubbe']I Love that there is already a 1.01 patch today for rb3.[/QUOTE]
Some games get a patch on release day so owners that got the game early cannot play online before the launch date, Tekken 6 did the same thing. I may be wrong though. I have no idea what the patch did but thats a guess.

It shouldn't be a surprise that any game has a launch day patch since many of them do.

I'm liking the overhaul of the career mode that presents them like a mix between the challenges from RB2 and the achievement progress page that Beatles and Green Day had. The challenges for playing all songs on easy and getting 5 stars also lets you earn credit by beating them on higher difficulties with at least 3 stars.

I got the keyboard with RB3 at BB since they gave a $15 gift card with it and it's really well made and fun to play with the few songs I've played so far. I'm not that good yet, though I don't know how long I'll stick with the normal difficulties before trying out the Pro Keys since that seems like a more rewarding way to play compared to the five keys that the normal mode uses.

Edit: I wonder if the Soundgarden deal for Guitar Hero: WoR is the cause of the lack of Soundgarden importing into RB3 like GH Metallica is for the removal of on disc Metallica songs.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Edit: I wonder if the Soundgarden deal for Guitar Hero: WoR is the cause of the lack of Soundgarden importing into RB3 like GH Metallica is for the removal of on disc Metallica songs.[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately it probably is because of Guitar Hero. Its a damn shame too since I love Soundgarden but hate Guitar Hero after Nerversoft and Activision pounded the series to death. Rock Band still has the best exclusives, DLC, and support in my own opinion. Especially with the upcoming The Doors DLC.

Is it just the one pro guitar from madcatz that is coming out next month or is their another brand that is coming out? I would have thought it would have came out the same day as RB3. I really only want this game for that. Up till now I never gave a damn about a GH/RB game. I have GH2 only because it was in a buy 2 get one free deal and I ended up getting it for free as the store had nothing else I wanted.

I'm really digging the pro mode concept on the Keyboards. Do i understand correctly that all i need to do to play Pro-Drums is upgrade the cymbols on my RB2 kit?

Is the RB2 export page not there for any of you? Shame that it's fucked up.

Also, can anyone explain to me what RBN songs we're missing that the 360 has (and perhaps why)?

Awesome my friend wants to get the keyboard for RB3 and me and him might put half and half for RB3. I mainly look forward to playing One Armed Scissor from At The Drive-In how is the keyboards on that track CAGs? I'm hoping they work on the older DLC to bring in the keyboards on those tracks as well.

[quote name='mykevermin']Is the RB2 export page not there for any of you? Shame that it's fucked up.

Also, can anyone explain to me what RBN songs we're missing that the 360 has (and perhaps why)?[/QUOTE]

I believe the explanation is that they couldn't get it running with the way the Playstation Store is set up. So instead we get tracks 30 days later and only select ones (which I'm guessing is based on sales of the 360 versions)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rock_Band_Network_songs

There's a chart of which songs are on 360 but not ps3/wii

Thanks for the explanation, even if it's kinda of a lame cop-out. There's a TON of content that's not available on PS3. fuck.

I didn't know Skeletonwitch was available, so I'll pick that up.

I'm very disappointed the 500 Miles to Memphis song isn't available, as those guys are good friends of friends of mine. I'd love to support their efforts.

[quote name='mykevermin']Thanks for the explanation, even if it's kinda of a lame cop-out. There's a TON of content that's not available on PS3. fuck.

I didn't know Skeletonwitch was available, so I'll pick that up.

I'm very disappointed the 500 Miles to Memphis song isn't available, as those guys are good friends of friends of mine. I'd love to support their efforts.[/QUOTE]
We get 5 RBN songs/week. The limit doesn't make sense to me, as plenty more regular RB songs get released most weeks, but whatever. Also, the export should be working now.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mykevermin']Is the RB2 export page not there for any of you? Shame that it's fucked up.

Also, can anyone explain to me what RBN songs we're missing that the 360 has (and perhaps why)?[/QUOTE]
RBN is based on XNA and the deal they signed with MS prevents them from releasing any songs elsewhere for 30 days, so they just release the best-selling songs on PSN in packs of five every week.

The Doors Pack will be officially coming out next week along with some Rush:

Harmonix and MTV Games today announced that 12 of The Doors’ greatest hits, including three tracks with Pro Guitar and Pro Bass, as well as “Subdivisions” from Rush, which also features a Pro Guitar and Pro Bass upgrade, will be available Nov. 2 in the Rock Band 3 Music Store.

Available on Xbox 360, Wii and PlayStation 3 system (Nov. 2):
· The Doors – “Light My Fire” X
· The Doors – “Riders on the Storm” X
· The Doors – “Touch Me” X
· The Doors – “Hello, I Love You”
· The Doors – “L.A. Woman”
· The Doors – “Love Her Madly”
· The Doors – “Love Me Two Times”
· The Doors – “Peace Frog”
· The Doors – “People Are Strange”
· The Doors – “Roadhouse Blues”
· The Doors – “Soul Kitchen”
· The Doors – “The Crystal Ship”
· Rush – “Subdivisions” X

(All tracks are original master recordings)

(These tracks will be available in Europe on PlayStation 3 system Nov. 3)

These tracks will be available for purchase as individual tracks, as well as “The Doors Greatest Hits: Special Edition” on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 system and Wii. Tracks marked with “X” will include Pro Guitar and Pro Bass expansions for $0.99 per song.

Price: $1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points) per song
$2.00 USD (200 Wii Points™) per song
$0.99 USD (100 Wii Points/80 Microsoft Points), £0.59 UK, €0.75 EU per song for Pro Guitar/Pro Bass upgrade
$19.99, £9.99 UK, €14.99 EU (1,600 Microsoft Points, 2,000 Wii Points) for The Doors Greatest Hits: Special Edition

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It shouldn't be a surprise that any game has a launch day patch since many of them do.

I'm liking the overhaul of the career mode that presents them like a mix between the challenges from RB2 and the achievement progress page that Beatles and Green Day had. The challenges for playing all songs on easy and getting 5 stars also lets you earn credit by beating them on higher difficulties with at least 3 stars.

I got the keyboard with RB3 at BB since they gave a $15 gift card with it and it's really well made and fun to play with the few songs I've played so far. I'm not that good yet, though I don't know how long I'll stick with the normal difficulties before trying out the Pro Keys since that seems like a more rewarding way to play compared to the five keys that the normal mode uses.

Edit: I wonder if the Soundgarden deal for Guitar Hero: WoR is the cause of the lack of Soundgarden importing into RB3 like GH Metallica is for the removal of on disc Metallica songs.[/QUOTE]

hmm 15$ giftcard I might pick this up on the way home as I need a midi keyboard for my comp :) and 65$ is a steal:bouncy:

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The Doors Pack will be officially coming out next week along with some Rush:[/QUOTE]

wtf? I thought the Doors songs came out this week Tuesday?

Anyone know if green day can be directly imported into RB3(without the Green Day Disc)? If so, anyone have an extra green day code they'd be willing to sell me?

[quote name='D_Icon']wtf? I thought the Doors songs came out this week Tuesday?[/QUOTE]
It's only available in the in-game store so that you need the disc to get the free tracks.

Finally got the game through Amazon and damn, this is a really good game and a compliment to my entire Rock Band library. Harmonix does NOT disappoint. I am getting the cymbal add-ons next week. I'll leave my impressions when I try em out for a few hours.

Some initial thoughts:

Character Customization
-I like that they greatly expanded the facial feature options, though I don't see a way to edit any of this stuff after you're finished.
-Long beards suck since they constantly clip with the guy's chest in a way that seems like they intended for it to just lean against the chest, but it kind of clips very awkwardly. I might take a picture to show what I mean.
-I accidentally dropped out just before I went to quit back to the XMB the other day and lost the rights to my created characters, which randomly came back the next day after I already made a second version of my main character.
-I don't like that you can't just set specific people for specific instruments (though certain spots on your stand-in list are for certain instruments. This at least leads to any females stepping in for female-led songs as a good part of that.
-I like that they got rid of money, so you just unlock new clothes by completing goals and challenges and it seems like that applies to all characters you've made.

Career Mode:
-I like the way they've stripped the globe HUD for this mode and just boiled it down to its core feature, the gigs and challenges. Any songs you play in any mode will count for the career goals, which lets you play the game however you want and still make progress with those goals.
-I love that you can instantly turn any of the goals into a setlist to play and it'll skip any songs you'll already completed for that goal. Add in the ability to restart and skip songs individually while playing them in a setlist and Harmonix has added a lot of great features to make it easier to complete the goals without making the songs easier.
-I also like that difficulty goals also let you complete them on high difficulties, so you don't need to play through the songs on each difficulty if you don't want to.
-It would be nice to have the option to hide all of the goals I can't do based on the instruments that are current logged in to simplify the menu and scrolling needed to do.
-It's nice to see goals just for DLC you own, like the free songs they've released so far or the AC/DC track pack.

Road Challenges:
-I loved the community challenges that had different score counters than the normal songs in RB2 and this is where that idea has gone. You try to fill up your Spade meter (which is based on a specific goal you need to keep doing like get a certain streak, use overdrive, etc.) to get five Spades in addition to 5 stars for score, though you won't see your score until the result screen at the end.
-I like that they offer a pre-made setlist and options for random or custom-made setlists with different restrictions (usually genre from the little I've played). I also like that they break up the tour in a few stops so you're not playing all of the songs in one set, at least not yet.
-This is where the globe-trotting aspect of the career mode in RB1/2 has gone, but with a bit of the challenge mode mixed in since the amount of songs you'll play in a challenge gets longer as you progress through the mode.

Gameplay stuff:
-I love that they finally added half overdrive sections to fill up half of the bar rather than the normal quarter, though it's still a bit random where the overdrive section gives 2X or just 1X since it's not based on length like I'd have expected.
-I love that when I tried to sing and play keyboards on a song and dropped the mic, the game saved the actual keyboard 100%, score, and stars when I ended the song with 3 stars because I started it with two instruments.
-Rather than a countdown, the return to the game just rewinds a bit of the track and stops the action until you reach the original stopping point, which is a weird way to do that after the way Beatles and Green Day did it.

Keyboard:
-It will take a while to get used to an instrument where I can hit all five "frets" with a separate finger and that I can't preload for chords like on a guitar.
-You do need good dexterity in your fingers to do well, as my typically slow fingers do have some trouble with faster songs that are mostly chords even on medium. I can still get five stars on Medium, but 100% would require some more time with the keyboard and that song.
-I didn't know about the touch pad and overdrive button on the handle, which makes for a weird issue with trying to do two different things with my hands at once that can lead to me messing up a streak while trying to go into overdrive or mess with sustained notes.
-The normal difficulties are basically keytar mode, though I haven't tried playing it with the strap since I want to play it in my lap for now. I'll probably play pro keys once I complete the goal for completing all songs on easy.
-"Need You Tonight" by INXS should not be listed on any of the keyboard lists (besides all easy/medium/hard/expert) as it's just pressing a chord every ten seconds or so. Some songs have lengthy downtime or simple charts, but most of them aren't this simple. I even played it on expert for an easy gold star and saw that it gives you less of a lead time there compared to the easier difficulties.

Visuals:
-They did a great job of giving the entire game a facelift with better looking environments, characters, and effects (like 80s music video-style low framerate).
-There are some great music video backgrounds that are a bit more involved than the ones I remember from RB2.

Other Stuff:
-I love the revamped sorting options, though I'd like to see songs that feature the current instrument be the default list rather than having to manually bring up the options and turn it on.
-I recall hearing that the battle of the bands stuff was still in here, but I haven't seen a specific Harmonix set of goals or challenges based on different sets of songs yet.
-I'm not a fan of having to watch the game reload all 100+ of my DLC songs everytime I boot up the game, but at least it doesn't keep you from doing anything while it loads that. I'd hate to see how long it takes to complete for those with way more songs than I have.
-I still need to do the exports for Green Day and RB2 since I have a bigger hard drive now, which will probably push me up into the 200+ range for DLC.
-I like that you can actually see how you did between songs in a setlist rather than the old way, though I liked the sleeker transitions from before.
-They've done a great job of integrating leaderboards into the game in a much better way than before.
-I'm glad that the in-game music store doesn't crash within 30 seconds of starting it up like it always did in RB2.
-The intro is diappointing, as I was hoping for another great CG intro that brought another band into the epic car fight that started in RB2's intro.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Some initial thoughts:

-I love that they finally added half overdrive sections to fill up half of the bar rather than the normal quarter, though it's still a bit random where the overdrive section gives 2X or just 1X since it's not based on length like I'd have expected.[/QUOTE]

I believe that has always been there, but initially considered a 'unison bonus' type thing

perhaps it was multiplayer only in rb2/1.

With DLC now requiring to be played on RB3 can we still export disc based songs onto RB2 (I have Lego RockBand and plan to get Green Day RockBand soon). I am wondering if we can still export songs into RB3 from those releases or does everything now need to be moved over to RB3

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Did it an hour ago and it worked just fine.[/QUOTE]
Ahh. Harmonix got it working then. Exporting now. Earlier when a code was submitted it gave PS3 owners a voucher for Lego Rock Band instead, so Harmonix took down the export site and repair it saying wait till Nov 1st.

Also this is a caution to everyone playing Keyboard on RB3 on PS3. There is a major audio glitch right now caused by players playing Keyboard on Rock Band, the glitch has been known to blow speakers and make your ears bleed.

Here is the official support forum on the Rock Band Forums, a developer from Haromnix says they are working on a fix for it.

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?204767-Audio-Glitch-in-RB3-(video-inside)

and a video of the glitch itself. (WARNING EAR RAPE AHEAD.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLsPp3ctX6w

Wanting to get RB3 for first music/gaming experience, looking for a good guitar that isn't too expensive but is compatible with the new game. Is it worth getting a new RB3 guitar versus a RB2 or generic? Any recommendations on what hardware and why? I've read the RB1 guitars were pretty cheap and broke down quickly

Thanks in advance for any feedback and feel free to pm if you don't want to clog up the forum.

[quote name='FroMann']Ahh. Harmonix got it working then. Exporting now. Earlier when a code was submitted it gave PS3 owners a voucher for Lego Rock Band instead, so Harmonix took down the export site and repair it saying wait till Nov 1st.

Also this is a caution to everyone playing Keyboard on RB3 on PS3. There is a major audio glitch right now caused by players playing Keyboard on Rock Band, the glitch has been known to blow speakers and make your ears bleed.

Here is the official support forum on the Rock Band Forums, a developer from Haromnix says they are working on a fix for it.

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?204767-Audio-Glitch-in-RB3-(video-inside)

[/QUOTE]

I've gotten this twice in a few hours of keyboarding. It is really fucking loud and irritating.

[quote name='combatrhombus']Has anyone tried a real keyboard yet? I'm debating on the rockband keyboard or buying a real one with a MIDI adapter. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]Amazon isn't shipping the midi adapter until late November... not sure about other retailers.

[quote name='fahq1977']Wanting to get RB3 for first music/gaming experience, looking for a good guitar that isn't too expensive but is compatible with the new game. Is it worth getting a new RB3 guitar versus a RB2 or generic? Any recommendations on what hardware and why? I've read the RB1 guitars were pretty cheap and broke down quickly

Thanks in advance for any feedback and feel free to pm if you don't want to clog up the forum.[/QUOTE]
Go for the Nyko Frontman guitar, which is cheap (usually $20 or less if there's a deal) and works very well.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Go for the Nyko Frontman guitar, which is cheap (usually $20 or less if there's a deal) and works very well.[/QUOTE]

Is it working again? I thought there was a PS3 firmware update that messed it up (not talking about 3.50; mine just quite working around the start of the year and I read other people saying a Sony FW update messed up the Nykos, haven't tried mine lately though). It's a pretty decent (and cheap) guitar if they fixed the firmware.

Bon Jovi Greatest Hits album is coming next week:
Bon Jovi Greatest Hits: Rock Band Edition will feature the first back-catalog songs updated for Rock Band 3 gameplay to include Pro Keys, Keys, Pro Drums and harmonies, as well as traditional drum and five-button guitar and bass gameplay. The updated songs are “Livin’ on a Prayer,” “Wanted Dead or Alive” and “You Give Love a Bad Name.” Additionally, these three songs, as well as “Runaway” will also feature Pro Guitar and Pro Bass upgrades available for an additional $0.99 per song. The pack also features favorites like “Blaze of Glory,” “It’s My Life” and “Bad Medicine,” among others.

The same day and date that this ultimate Bon Jovi pack is available, Bon Jovi’s Greatest Hits - The Ultimate Collection will also be available – an exclusive double-disc version with a total of 28 tracks, including four brand new songs. The album is now available for pre-order on Amazon! If you place your order today, you can save $5.99 off the retail price ($19.98) and pay only $13.99!

Also available for download next week are three additional songs that feature the Pro Guitar and Pro Bass expansion downloads – “My Own Summer (Shove It)” from American rockers Deftones, “Blue Monday” from British New Wave favorites New Order and “Burning Down the House” from American art rockers Talking Heads.

Available on Xbox 360, Wii and PlayStation 3 system (Nov. 9):
Bon Jovi – “Bad Medicine”
Bon Jovi – “Blaze of Glory”
Bon Jovi – “Have a Nice Day”
Bon Jovi – “I’ll Be There For You”
Bon Jovi – “It’s My Life”
Bon Jovi – “Lay Your Hands On Me”
Bon Jovi – “Livin’ on a Prayer (RB3 version)” X
Bon Jovi – “Runaway” X
Bon Jovi – “Wanted Dead or Alive (RB3 version)” X
Bon Jovi – “We Weren’t Born to Follow”
Bon Jovi – “Who Says You Can’t Go Home”
Bon Jovi – “You Give Love a Bad Name (RB3 version)” X
Deftones – “My Own Summer (Shove It)” X
New Order – “Blue Monday” X
Talking Heads – “Burning Down the House” X

(All tracks are original master recordings)
(These tracks will be available in Europe on PlayStation 3 system Nov. 10)

These tracks will be available for purchase as individual tracks, as well as “Bon Jovi Greatest Hits: Rock Band Edition” on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 system and Wii. Tracks marked with “X” will include Pro Guitar and Pro Bass expansions for $0.99 per song.

Price:
$1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points) per song
$2.00 USD (200 Wii Points™) per song
$0.99 USD (100 Wii Points/80 Microsoft Points), £0.59 UK, €0.75 EU per song for eligible Pro Guitar/Pro Bass upgrade
$19.99, £9.99 UK, €14.99 EU (1,600 Microsoft Points, 2,000 Wii Points) for Bon Jovi Greatest Hits: Rock Band Edition

Finally got the cymbal add-ons in. They take getting use too to play decently, but once you get the new control method down. Drums on Expert becomes twice as fun. They also have pretty solid construction, so they won't break anytime soon.

The account linking on the Rock Band site is now live. It seems that you won't have the option if you linked RB2, so you just need to unlink your account and then enter in the code from the RB3 menu to get it working right.

This could be bad...

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/11/rock-band-developer-harmonix-to-be-sold-by-viacom/

Rock Band developer Harmonix to be sold by Viacom

Viacom has announced that it plans to sell Harmonix, developer of the Rock Band series and Dance Central. The mega-corp has reclassified the Boston-based company as a "discontinued operation" in its third-quarter financial and has already changed all future earnings to reflect the sale. The company recorded a $299 million loss in discontinued operations to reflect the change.

We followed up with Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter to help explain the "discontinued operations" situation. The analyst told Joystiq, "I am sure that the purchase price of $175 million is in there -- it would have been carried on Viacom's balance sheet as goodwill. The rest could be other operations (non-gaming), some portion of the earn out that they paid a couple of years ago, which should have been expensed, but you never know, or some portion of the development costs for games not yet released."

[quote name='FroMann']Finally got the cymbal add-ons in. They take getting use too to play decently, but once you get the new control method down. Drums on Expert becomes twice as fun. They also have pretty solid construction, so they won't break anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

Just got my cymbal add-ons too, and I'm really enjoying them. It's brings a whole new level to the game, it takes some time getting used to hitting the 7 different pads in pro-drums but its a lot of fun to play.

[quote name='FroMann']Ahh. Harmonix got it working then. Exporting now. Earlier when a code was submitted it gave PS3 owners a voucher for Lego Rock Band instead, so Harmonix took down the export site and repair it saying wait till Nov 1st.

and a video of the glitch itself. (WARNING EAR RAPE AHEAD.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLsPp3ctX6w[/QUOTE]
I played a keys part for the first time tonight, with the RB1 guitar. First song in and the screech happens. Talk about annoying.

Also annoying: needing to strum using the guitar to play a keyboard part???

bread's done
Back