The Star Trek III (Back from the Dead) Thread

[quote name='lordwow']I wouldn't be surprised if they
completely cut out any mention of the Borg technology

But ya, that's going to be quite the shakeup for the "original" timeline
with Romulus being destroyed.
[/quote]

Agreed. I hope they don't mention the Borg.
From what I read(on different websites) , Spock Prime and other universe Spock will Meld and that's where we get that flashback.

I wonder if the new MMORPG will mention Romulus' destruction or Spock's disappearance?

Remember this is not really a time travel into the past of the original universe, it's a time travel into the past of another universe. Not the Mirror Mirror universe but something else.
Yes it sounds complicated, but I guess the writers pulled it off big time to convince the trekkers that this is a really good film.

I wonder what those beams being fired into Vulcan/Earth are about?!?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as connecting it to the new game:

It makes sense, the game is supposed to take place 20 years after Nemesis

[quote name='lordwow']As far as connecting it to the new game:

It makes sense, the game is supposed to take place 20 years after Nemesis
[/quote]

bet you that after the movie is out, the game site will update it with the fact that it has been in fact destroyed.

Playmates+Enterprise.jpg

found it and a few other star trek toys at TRU today. 29.99 :|

I was looking through some old toys in boxes the other day. I had some sort of transforming enterprise D that changed from the normal ship into the alternate one from the last episode of the series, the one with the third nacelle.

Huge non-spoiler review from TrekMovie.com

Final Verdict:

I for one loved it, Star Trek made me feel like a kid again. Is it the best Star Trek film ever? Possibly. In some aspects, there can be no doubt. The scale, the effects, the sound, and much more are at a level never before seen in Star Trek and on par with the best films of the day. Every Star Trek film gets compared to Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, which is my favorite as it is with many other fans. It will take a few more viewings to make the final call, but for me, it is certainly in that top tier of great Star Trek films.

It is truly 1982 again. We have a new team, with a new sensibility, who have come in and shook things up. And like with The Wrath of Khan, they have set up a platform to create additional films for years to come. JJ Abrams’ Star Trek is a very worthy addition to the Star Trek family, just when it needed one, and I eagerly look forward to what comes next.

Well I just came back from my second viewing of this movie.

It was fantastic!

There were a lot of WOW scenes.

To see the Enterprise in orbit and the music in that scene was incredible!

The Enterprise emerging from the ring scene was also incredible.

You could tell Ben Burt was doing the sound effects as you could hear him fuse some classic trek sounds with star wars prequel sounds.

Ok here are some thoughts

In the movie, they blame Spock Primes going back in time that caused the "alternate reality". You can't just say, "Hey we are in an alternate reality because someone else went back in time..."

The Red Matter detonation in the Sun caused a dimensional time rift that caused Spock and the Narada to go not only back in time, but into another parallel universe. So Nero has destroyed THAT universe's Vulcan and that Kelvin. It has no effect on Spock Prime's universe or Nero's.

Based on the information taken from the prequel graphic novel (Countdown), the Narada is an extremely powerful ship based on Borg Technology.

Now there could have been a possibility that the Narada was damaged during the dimensional jump and wasn't fully operable during the encounter with the Kelvin. Ramming a ship into something that big wouldn't have hurt it, unless it was an antimatter explosion...but all we saw was a series of booms. The final scene we see the Narada what appears to be a drift while the shuttles escape.

So Scotty invented a Transwarp beaming technique? eh?? Isn't Transwarp faster than Warp? No way the Scotty's transporter (even with Spock Prime's help) could beam from a planet to a ship moving at warp light years away. The only times this might have been possible was via Bok's Subspace Transporter OR the Dominion Transportor technology.

I really HATE the lower Engineering decks of the Enterprise. Should be more futuristic not some sort of factory looking. I want to see the tech manual for THIS Enterprise.

Wait a minute.... the Narada , Nero and Crew have been WAITING for SPOCK PRIME for 25 YEARS?!?!?!? Big problem here. You have an extremly powerful warship from the future of another universe, yet all you do is wait around for 25 years for Spock to come out, then destroy Vulcan? Nero should have focused on trying to return to his unverise and try to prevent the destruction of the Romulan homeworld rather than waiting around for 25 years. I am suprised he didn't try to wipe out the Klingon Homeworld or try to effect the rest of that universe's history.

There was a mention of another "lightning storm" followed by an attack on the Klingons (40 some ships destroyed)...eh? What was Nero doing? And what was this Lightning storm? Couldn't have been Spock Prime's arrival.

Speaking of that, Nero had NO WAY of knowing Spock was coming.

They need to fix the Vulcan sky for the video release, that one blue sky shot can be fixed easily.

Althought the crew knew it was the Romulans that destroyed the Kelvin, there was no mention from the crew of the Narada to the Kelvin that they were Romulan...so how did the survivors report back that it was Romulans that destoryed the ship? The Narada cannot be identified as a Romulan ship because it has been altered with Borg tech.

Spock Prime's meeting with Spock at the end..and helping Kirk/Scotty.. is he violating the Temperal Prime Directive or it does not apply since he is in a Alternate Universe so his Universe if unaffected by his actions in that universe?

Spock should just go back to his universe prior to the events that lead to the destruction of Romulas and tried to save it before it was too late. In other words, use the classic Reset Button.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Well I just came back from my second viewing of this movie.

It was fantastic!

You could tell Ben Burt was doing the sound effects as you could hear him fuse some classic trek sounds with star wars prequel sounds.

In the movie, they blame Spock Primes going back in time that caused the "alternate reality". You can't just say, "Hey we are in an alternate reality because someone else went back in time..."

The Red Matter detonation in the Sun caused a dimensional time rift that caused Spock and the Narada to go not only back in time, but into another parallel universe. So Nero has destroyed THAT universe's Vulcan and that Kelvin. It has no effect on Spock Prime's universe or Nero's.

Based on the information taken from the prequel graphic novel (Countdown), the Narada is an extremely powerful ship based on Borg Technology.

Now there could have been a possibility that the Narada was damaged during the dimensional jump and wasn't fully operable during the encounter with the Kelvin. Ramming a ship into something that big wouldn't have hurt it, unless it was an antimatter explosion...but all we saw was a series of booms. The final scene we see the Narada what appears to be a drift while the shuttles escape.

So Scotty invented a Transwarp beaming technique? eh?? Isn't Transwarp faster than Warp? No way the Scotty's transporter (even with Spock Prime's help) could beam from a planet to a ship moving at warp light years away. The only times this might have been possible was via Bok's Subspace Transporter OR the Dominion Transportor technology.

I really HATE the lower Engineering decks of the Enterprise. Should be more futuristic not some sort of factory looking. I want to see the tech manual for THIS Enterprise.

Wait a minute.... the Narada , Nero and Crew have been WAITING for SPOCK PRIME for 25 YEARS?!?!?!? Big problem here. You have an extremly powerful warship from the future of another universe, yet all you do is wait around for 25 years for Spock to come out, then destroy Vulcan? Nero should have focused on trying to return to his unverise and try to prevent the destruction of the Romulan homeworld rather than waiting around for 25 years. I am suprised he didn't try to wipe out the Klingon Homeworld or try to effect the rest of that universe's history.

There was a mention of another "lightning storm" followed by an attack on the Klingons (40 some ships destroyed)...eh? What was Nero doing? And what was this Lightning storm? Couldn't have been Spock Prime's arrival.

They need to fix the Vulcan sky for the video release, that one blue sky shot can be fixed easily.

Althought the crew knew it was the Romulans that destroyed the Kelvin, there was no mention from the crew of the Narada to the Kelvin that they were Romulan...so how did the survivors report back that it was Romulans that destoryed the ship? The Narada cannot be identified as a Romulan ship because it has been altered with Borg tech.

Spock Prime's meeting with Spock at the end..and helping Kirk/Scotty.. is he violating the Temperal Prime Directive or it does not apply since he is in a Alternate Universe so his Universe if unaffected by his actions in that universe?

Spock should just go back to his universe prior to the events that lead to the destruction of Romulas and tried to save it before it was too late. In other words, use the classic Reset Button.
[/QUOTE]

They cut a subplot where Nero gets captured by Klingons for whatever reason. That's why they attacked a Klingon Penal Colony.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Well I just came back from my second viewing of this movie.

It was fantastic!

[/quote]

I've got to go see it again this week. It was awesome.

I just realized something else,
i guess that future Spock is now stuck in the past.
In theory he could recreate the black hole, go back to the future before Romulus was destroyed and prevent it from happening, thus preventing Nero from getting pissed and attacking.

[quote name='JolietJake']I just realized something else,
i guess that future Spock is now stuck in the past.
In theory he could recreate the black hole, go back to the future before Romulus was destroyed and prevent it from happening, thus preventing Nero from getting pissed and attacking.[/QUOTE]

But that would just create another alternate universe.

Could this alternate universe that was created be the way to get Prime Kirk inserted into the sequel just like Shatner and Nimoy wanted to get Kirk in the first Star Trek movie?

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Could this alternate universe that was created be the way to get Prime Kirk inserted into the sequel just like Shatner and Nimoy wanted to get Kirk in the first Star Trek movie?[/quote]

That could definitely be possible.

I like the idea of this being a separate, alternate timeline instead of a total reboot.

with all this Prime talk I just had to

Optimus-Prime-905.jpg

:booty:

anyways Unless Spock Prime knew exactly his temporal variance to his own universe, it will be a shot in the dark, plus he does not have the technology to do this now that his ship is destroyed.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Because this is here?

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but it seems like it would've been closed when it got started instead of 20 pages in, or at the least MERGED into this thread like I've seen done lots of times before.

Anyway, I posted this in the other thread and thought I'd post it again here-

This link is to a video where the writers explain the idea they had for William Shatner's part in the movie, but sadly it didn't make the final cut. It sounds awesome though.

It was also spoilerific.

So if anyone wants to come in here and talk about it, a friendly reminder to show courtesy to the ones who haven't seen it.

yea I was really wondering why another thread was made for that movie when we had this here... but then again there is another thread for Terminator Salvation's Clip, yet we already have a thread for that movie too :roll:

btw..... I don't think I remembered seeing it, but does anyone recall if there was a "Warp Flash" when any of the ships went into warp or did they all just do the hyperspace jump from star wars?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAJ4woU1UwM

this is what I am talking about?

That whole fleet warp jump would have been really exciting if Sulu didn't fuck it up!

So... is it really worth getting the star trek movies on BR? Some sites are giving me mixed answers. I have about 35 dollars in RZC I need to burn before June, however from what I read a lot is missing from the 2 disc dvd collection and it seems that Star Trek 2 got a big video upgrade vs the others which filtering applied. Also think Paramount planning on releasing ALL 10 films on BR when the new movie hits BR in one big mega pack. :hot: So thinking of waiting til then... hmm..

I remember someone in here posting about the bluray set of the first six movies. Interestingly enough, there is also a "Trilogy" set available: http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Pic...ef=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1242540470&sr=8-2

Glad to see that this set contains II, III, and IV. Sure, it's a blatant cash-in on the new movie, but I just like seeing those movies formally recognized as a Trilogy. They really are unique among Star Trek films in how closely tied-together they are. In that sense, I kinda think of II-IV as the "DS9" of the films.

[quote name='ITDEFX']btw..... I don't think I remembered seeing it, but does anyone recall if there was a "Warp Flash" when any of the ships went into warp or did they all just do the hyperspace jump from star wars?

this is what I am talking about?

That whole fleet warp jump would have been really exciting if Sulu didn't fuck it up![/QUOTE]

You know, now that I think about it, I don't think there was. I think there was a flash on the back end of the ship when it goes to warp but not the flash in the front.

Because JJ has unleashed my inner nerd, How did the Klingons become so technologically advance? Hell they have cloaking. I don't think I remember seeing a Klingon scientist.

I still haven't seen the movie but the hype for the movie convinced me to DL The Next Generation, it's so great.. I can feel myself slowly becoming a trekkie. I'm typically not into the stereotypically nerdy stuff, Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, I'm pretty surprised that I'm enjoying TNG so much. Started on season 3, currently on ep 23. Picard is the greatest ever.

[quote name='Koggit']I still haven't seen the movie but the hype for the movie convinced me to DL The Next Generation, it's so great.. I can feel myself slowly becoming a trekkie. I'm typically not into the stereotypically nerdy stuff, Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, I'm pretty surprised that I'm enjoying TNG so much. Started on season 3, currently on ep 23. Picard is the greatest ever.[/QUOTE]

TNG is great. If you get through it and still find yourself wanting more I highly highly recommend DS9. If you can make your way through the first season or two you will be treated to some of the finest sci-fi ever on TV.

[quote name='Koggit']I still haven't seen the movie but the hype for the movie convinced me to DL The Next Generation, it's so great.. I can feel myself slowly becoming a trekkie. I'm typically not into the stereotypically nerdy stuff, Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, I'm pretty surprised that I'm enjoying TNG so much. Started on season 3, currently on ep 23. Picard is the greatest ever.[/QUOTE]

If this is legal, please PM.

[quote name='homeland']Because JJ has unleashed my inner nerd, How did the Klingons become so technologically advance? Hell they have cloaking. I don't think I remember seeing a Klingon scientist.[/QUOTE]

From Memory Alpha:

It has been speculated that the Klingon Empire acquired cloaking technology during an alliance with the Romulans. Such an alliance was loosely implied by Romulan use of Klingon ships in TOS: "The Enterprise Incident" and later mentioned as having taken place at some point in the past in TNG: "Reunion" and TNG: "The Neutral Zone" but there is no canon evidence to support the idea of Romulans supplying Klingons with cloaking technology.

I was watching the rifftrax version of Star Trek yesterday and noticed something. At the end when they eject the core, it shows about half a dozen being ejected. Since when do these ships have half a dozen warp cores? Even Scotty says "core" as if it were just one.

I got the Star Trek blu-ray for Christmas and it is great. I haven't watched the movie yet (I saw it in the theater) but the extras are really fun.

bread's done
Back