The Star Trek III (Back from the Dead) Thread

Tasha is dead! After watching that episode last night it was actually kind of unique. A major character died mid-season in a random episode in a completely random manner. Also, they brought her back to the ship and there was a whole scene where Crusher tries to revive her... that never happens on TV unless they bring the character back to life. The episode was lame but I thought that was kind of cool...

[quote name='Javery']Tasha is dead! After watching that episode last night it was actually kind of unique. A major character died mid-season in a random episode in a completely random manner. Also, they brought her back to the ship and there was a whole scene where Crusher tries to revive her... that never happens on TV unless they bring the character back to life. The episode was lame but I thought that was kind of cool...[/QUOTE]

the episode before the one she died

you can see her waving in the back ground (it was filmed in reverse order)

NEW STAR TREK TV SERIES????

Star Trek hasn’t been on television since 2005. After Enterprise it just seemed like the whole thing needed a rest. But with JJ Abrams taking his sweet time about getting another movie off the ground, maybe a fresh TV show is the right way to go.

There’ve been rumblings that a new Trek TV series might be in the works for awhile now. For instance, at one point a new Trek animated series was being worked on. Now here’s a new addition to the list of Star Trek TV series possibilities: A live-action project, code-named “S.E.T.I.”, being developed by David Foster.

The article says it will take place right after Voyager in that timeline. and that there is a 5-7 year long series arc already planned out.

[quote name='Javery']The article says it will take place right after Voyager in that timeline. and that there is a 5-7 year long series arc already planned out.[/QUOTE]

So now we're back to TNG-era where movies and the TV show are in different time periods (or in this case alternate universes).

Then again, given the little bit of information about what happened to the main universe prior to the new movie (Romulus being destroyed mainly) there could be some interesting storytelling to be done.

I dunno, let em make a new show. If it ends up being crap its not like I'll be the one that's out any money...

Yeah I don't see it being any worse than Voyager. Really I'd like to see a show based on the Titan crew. Riker was an awesome character, him as a captain would be cool.

[quote name='Clak']Yeah I don't see it being any worse than Voyager. Really I'd like to see a show based on the Titan crew. Riker was an awesome character, him as a captain would be cool.[/QUOTE]

My initial thought was a Next Generation sequel type show with a little bit more over-arcing story ala DS9/Voyager could be kind of interesting. The only problem though is that they would have to come up with a new "big bad guy" because, as much as I like the Borg, it was done to death in Voyager and the Dominion was also the focus of DS9 (and largely resolved).

Like I said, I'm certainly not against them giving it a shot though.

I never watch any start trek except TNG.

They need to just do another show like TNG. I don't give a fuck about survival stories or man going into space for the first time or whatever.

I want to see Starfleet. I want the political intrigue, I want the species vs species gamesmanship, I want the brains-over-brawn solutions.

I want an intelligent well-oiled crew going up against the baddest shit the universe can throw at it. Shit that has planets of aliens quaking in their boots and Picard doesn't even break a sweat

Damn that show was perfect.

[quote name='Javery']NEW STAR TREK TV SERIES????[/QUOTE]So the newest stuff in Trek "canon" we've actually seen on film was Nemesis in 2002, right? I mean not counting stuff that was referenced in the 2009 movie or any Enterprise time travel stuff. I'd be pretty excited to finally pick up where we left off.

dang, this thread was started over 4 yrs ago!

anyway, TNG was the best. it had the best elements, the cast was perfect.

DS9 and Voyager was weak sauce. DS9 sucked cause it was stationary; and too much Ferengi every #u@k!ng episode! So #u@k!ng annoying, I wanted to kill them myself. Watching it was damn painful.

And Voyager's crew just never gelled well together. They're dry and boring characters.

Wow you really need to give DS9 another shot. DS9 portrayed the darkside of life in the 24th century. Runabouts and the defiant made the show mobile..

Yeah honestly that sounds more like the criticisms of someone who read a mid-season TV Guide preview article in 1992 than of someone who actually watched the show! But to each his own.

But I agree with regards to the Ferengi. Please, god, no more Ferengi. Ever. I know some people liked the all-Ferengi DS9 episodes, but they were like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

But DS9 "sucked because it was stationary" -- that says it all. Maybe you cut out in the first season (when it was mostly garbage). It got better.

And on the "new Star Trek show", courtesy of Topless Robot:
Guy Has an idea for a New Star Trek Series, No Grasp on Reality

Going back to the original article, it first says the new Trek series is "being developed" but at the end it says they haven't even made an official pitch. So: boldly going nowhere.

Trek on TV can resume now that Rick Berman is out of the picture. I've read a number of articles over the years that pretty much had Berman in control of trek via contracts...once he was out or contract was over, paramount could do whatever the hell they wanted to with Trek.

I still say a starship titan show (based off of the adventures of Riker and the crew of the Titan) would have been a good move for the series ..but alas it will never happen as Riker is too old and fat and Troi is no longer that good looking. :|

[quote name='blandstalker']But I agree with regards to the Ferengi. Please, god, no more Ferengi. Ever.[/QUOTE]

I never even saw that show and I agree.

fuck JJ Abrams for blowing up the Vulcan homeplanet. So many other species deserved to die instead. That was really just pissing all over ST fans.

[quote name='camoor']I never even saw that show and I agree.

fuck JJ Abrams for blowing up the Vulcan homeplanet. So many other species deserved to die instead. That was really just pissing all over ST fans.[/QUOTE]

could have been worse
he could have pulled the normal movie making rule of thumb

lets kill a main character! Spock, Kirk, Data, Yar...

[quote name='Javery']NEW STAR TREK TV SERIES????[/QUOTE]
As long as J.J. Abrams has nothing to do with it, its worth a shot. He even admitted he never liked Star Trek and didn't understand the appeal of it.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Trek on TV can resume now that Rick Berman is out of the picture. I've read a number of articles over the years that pretty much had Berman in control of trek via contracts...once he was out or contract was over, paramount could do whatever the hell they wanted to with Trek.

I still say a starship titan show (based off of the adventures of Riker and the crew of the Titan) would have been a good move for the series ..but alas it will never happen as Riker is too old and fat and Troi is no longer that good looking. :|[/QUOTE]
Enterprise was 10 times better once Berman was out of the picture. Then he came back with that awful series finale. The problem with Trek since TNG was Berman and Brannon Braga. They were responsible for the shitty movies and Voyager, they were responsible for the first two seasons of Enterprise.

Manny Coto fixes the show but it can't overcome the damage they did, so they decide to write the finale together without him? That was their final fuck you to Star Trek.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dafoomie']As long as J.J. Abrams has nothing to do with it, its worth a shot. He even admitted he never liked Star Trek and didn't understand the appeal of it.[/QUOTE]

besides Star Trek his movies blowwwwwwwww

Super 8? who wanted to even see it?

not to mention his horrible tv show whose only high light was having Lenard Nimoy on it

[quote name='CaptainKirk']not to mention his horrible tv show whose only high light was having Lenard Nimoy on it[/QUOTE]

Not to get off-topic but FRINGE is the best show on TV right now - certainly in the sci-fi category. It is really awesome - it had an uneven first season (which was still good) but everything since then has been fantastic. Who doesn't love alternate universes???

- Back To The Future starring Eric Stolz
- Red Arrow and Red Lantern
- Springsteen Station (instead of Newark Penn)
- Superman vs. Batman and Indiana Jones & The Hex Of The Hydra are in theaters
- Peanut M&Ms don't exist!

It's awesome.

I need help

Any 4 letter Star Trek words to use for my Halo Reach Tag

Ive used a bunch like Trek, Nero, Troi, K7, DS9, VOY, etc but I want a new one

So any random would help?

[quote name='Javery']Ezri
Sela
7of9
Borg
Worf
Data
Lore[/QUOTE]

ha thanks ive used most of those, but didnt think to use "7of9"

I'd go with Jim.

Anyway, I've been watching Babylon 5 again and they had this nice little dig at DS9. One of the main characters says,
"This isn't some deep space franchise, this station is about something!"

[quote name='CaptainKirk']could have been worse
he could have pulled the normal movie making rule of thumb

lets kill a main character! Spock, Kirk, Data, Yar...[/QUOTE]

I like JJ Abrams, but the guy is not a closer.

Mark my words - the near genocide of the Vulcans will be barely glossed over in the sequel. Compare this to "STIII The search for Spock" - IE life is so precious we're going to devote an entire fucking movie to searching for one Vulcan. Oh and btw there's a more then good chance that he's not only dead but dead dead.

JJ essentially fucked over the entire progressive mantra of Star Trek and turned it into "Starfleet, fuck Yeah"

[quote name='camoor']I like JJ Abrams, but the guy is not a closer.

Mark my words - the near genocide of the Vulcans will be barely glossed over in the sequel. Compare this to "STIII The search for Spock" - IE life is so precious we're going to devote an entire fucking movie to searching for one Vulcan. Oh and btw there's a more then good chance that he's not only dead but dead dead.

JJ essentially fucked over the entire progressive mantra of Star Trek and turned it into "Starfleet, fuck Yeah"[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I'd go that far.

Watching Vulcan be destroyed was painful. But that was the point. It was so we'd take the villain seriously and feel like something was at stake.

It's become commonplace in movies for the threat to be the Earth blowing up. Not just Star Trek movies, though it's common enough there too.

Blowing up Vulcan accomplished two important things. The first was showing why Nero had to be stopped and making him more than an empty and boring threat. The second was an unambiguous message: this is not the Star Trek universe you have been watching. Anything can happen.

(well, except killing off a major cast member...but apart from that, Anything.)

Being able to deliver those important messages in a visual manner is good storytelling. It's far preferable to 10 minutes of technobabble filled speeches while the audience sleeps.

Where it goes from here, I have no clue. I don't think the fate of planet Vulcan matters much to Abrams and I think you're right -- it will be glossed over. I don't think Star Trek II: The Search for Vulcan would sell a lot of tickets.

But I see the movie as Earth-2 or fan fiction or something separate. It's related, but it's not my primary interest, and it has zero effect on TNG and DS9.

It would be cool to see them explore the ramifications of the planet Vulcan not existing. Obviously this drastically changes their entire species - maybe they become emotional?

[quote name='Javery']It would be cool to see them explore the ramifications of the planet Vulcan not existing. Obviously this drastically changes their entire species - maybe they become emotional?[/QUOTE]

Oooh, maybe they become bitter and revenge-fueled, while the Klingons become logical and unemotional. What a parallel-universe swap THAT would be!

[quote name='keithp']Oooh, maybe they become bitter and revenge-fueled, while the Klingons become logical and unemotional. What a parallel-universe swap THAT would be![/QUOTE]

I know deleted scenes are always argued if they are canon or not

but check out the Star Trek 2009 deleted scenes

[quote name='blandstalker']I don't know if I'd go that far.

Watching Vulcan be destroyed was painful. But that was the point. It was so we'd take the villain seriously and feel like something was at stake.

It's become commonplace in movies for the threat to be the Earth blowing up. Not just Star Trek movies, though it's common enough there too.

Blowing up Vulcan accomplished two important things. The first was showing why Nero had to be stopped and making him more than an empty and boring threat. The second was an unambiguous message: this is not the Star Trek universe you have been watching. Anything can happen.

(well, except killing off a major cast member...but apart from that, Anything.)

Being able to deliver those important messages in a visual manner is good storytelling. It's far preferable to 10 minutes of technobabble filled speeches while the audience sleeps.

Where it goes from here, I have no clue. I don't think the fate of planet Vulcan matters much to Abrams and I think you're right -- it will be glossed over. I don't think Star Trek II: The Search for Vulcan would sell a lot of tickets.

But I see the movie as Earth-2 or fan fiction or something separate. It's related, but it's not my primary interest, and it has zero effect on TNG and DS9.[/QUOTE]

Selling out the soul of the franchise for the expense of a good visual is not good storytelling - it's lazy pandering to the masses. If you want to see corny stunts like a two-dimensional supervillian going around blowing up planets then you can always go back and watch Star Wars again.

I don't remember anyone threatening to blow up any planet in previous Star Trek movies because when you think about it, it would take a tremendous amount of power and it really is ridiculous overkill. Of course when you have a mini deathstar / timetravel portal sitting around on the bridge it elimantes the need for things like internal logic or a good plot.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Selling out the soul? It's a fucking movie. We've seen a grand total of maybe two hours of the planet on screen in 45 years.[/QUOTE]

Who cares how much screentime it got? It's a staple of the franchise. To blow it up wasn't pandering to the masses- it was done simply for shock value, which wasn't particularly riveting storytelling. JJ is reinventing ST for the generation of kids that only play CoD or other twitch-fest games, and need MORE BOOM or else their attention wanders. It's disgusting. The heart and soul of ST is being destroyed, and Gene R is rolling over in his grave.

/rant.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Selling out the soul? It's a fucking movie. We've seen a grand total of maybe two hours of the planet on screen in 45 years.[/QUOTE]
Thats the problem. Star Trek is not just a mindless popcorn movie, being intelligent and thought provoking is at the core of the franchise, but Star Trek was just another mindless popcorn movie. They said to hell with the core fanbase that supported it for 40 years, we're just going to exploit the brand for mass market appeal.

I really don't know what the fuck paramount is waiting for......Just announce it with an announcement trailer already!!! The internet KNOWS it's happening... Why would he stop by to see how this is going?

http://www.mobypicture.com/user/levarburton/view/10615586

So anyone care to guess which samplers will make the cut ?

the pilot for sure...

Best of Both Worlds P1/P2

Cause and Effect

Yesterday's Enterprise (PLEASE!)

looks like Cinemax is running a Star Trek 1, 2,3,4,5,6,8 marathon. What's the deal with First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis? Are they all Sci Fi Channel Exclusives?

Uh, First Contact is #8.

Out of the Star Trek movies, Generations is #7, First Contact is #8, Insurrection is #9 and Nemesis is #10.

The 2009 movie is #11, though obviously goes off on its reboot path.

So, it's all the TOS movies plus First Contact from the TNG movies in the marathon today.

[quote name='shrike4242']Uh, First Contact is #8.

Out of the Star Trek movies, Generations is #7, First Contact is #8, Insurrection is #9 and Nemesis is #10.

The 2009 movie is #11, though obviously goes off on its reboot path.

So, it's all the TOS movies plus First Contact from the TNG movies in the marathon today.[/QUOTE]

oops
My bad.. I mean 7.

Just weird though...... Does Sci fi channel (refuse to call it that new name) have the rights to broadcast Insurrection and Nemesis forever?

I have also noticed 4 is rarely broadcast these days. hmm...

[quote name='ITDEFX']oops
My bad.. I mean 7.

Just weird though...... Does Sci fi channel (refuse to call it that new name) have the rights to broadcast Insurrection and Nemesis forever?

I have also noticed 4 is rarely broadcast these days. hmm...[/QUOTE]Actually, you were right in the numbers, as it is First Contact being broadcast on Cinemax, not Generations.

I really don't know why, but I don't see GENERATIONS as a true TNG movie.. it was tagged as a "passing of the torch movie.." that really wasn't necessary. Some people ignore Star Trek: Generations as much as they ignore FF.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']The best thing out of Generations was seeing the sets in HD, along with the glorious Enterprise-D.[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:s

HUH?

Don't you mean on the big screen instead of HD? Honestly it was a real visual treat to see the Enterprise D in the theater filling up a movie theater screen.

bread's done
Back