The Star Trek III (Back from the Dead) Thread

[quote name='javeryh']Please please please don't mess this up!!![/QUOTE]

It depends how you felt about Cloverfield. If JJ respects the Star Trek History, then it might be done right. I really don't like the idea of a reboot...but we have no say in it as it is a go.

I don't know anything about Cloverfield other than the Statue of Liberty's head goes flying or something (I don't really pay attention to movies since I don't go to them). I like Lost (generally) so I think Abrams will make a good movie. I'm all for a reboot - they need to shake things up and half of the TOS actors are dead, the TNG actors are way too old and no one cares about DS9 (best show in the franchise), Voyager or Enterprise. I'm definitely ready for a new TV show as long as Braga and Brennan aren't involved.

[quote name='javeryh']I don't know anything about Cloverfield other than the Statue of Liberty's head goes flying or something (I don't really pay attention to movies since I don't go to them). I like Lost (generally) so I think Abrams will make a good movie. I'm all for a reboot - they need to shake things up and half of the TOS actors are dead, the TNG actors are way too old and no one cares about DS9 (best show in the franchise), Voyager or Enterprise. I'm definitely ready for a new TV show as long as Braga and Brennan aren't involved.[/QUOTE]

Lets see

Scotty died in 2005

Bones died in 1999

Kirk, Spock, Chekov, Sulu, and Uhura are still running on batteries.

He says bringing kirk back would stink of fanboyism, it's those fanboys that are star trek's biggest supporters. They're the ones who stuck it out through even Enterprise. I don't think it's wrong to give them a bone(s).

[quote name='JolietJake']He says bringing kirk back would stink of fanboyism, it's those fanboys that are star trek's biggest supporters. They're the ones who stuck it out through even Enterprise. I don't think it's wrong to give them a bone(s).[/QUOTE]

:???: :???:

I like Enterprise...............

[quote name='JolietJake']He says bringing kirk back would stink of fanboyism, it's those fanboys that are star trek's biggest supporters. They're the ones who stuck it out through even Enterprise. I don't think it's wrong to give them a bone(s).[/quote]

A few comments:

- Bringing in William Shatner in some sort of cameo is fanboyism, especially if they have to do some sort of time-travel nonsense to do it. Worse than fanboyism, it takes whatever suspension of disbelief is left and chucks it out the airlock, reminding everyone that this is a movie without him as Kirk. We know already. Shatner had 7 movies. He doesn't need this one.

- If the new idea (it's a movie now...will it become a series?) is good, even the fanboys will follow it. If only the fanboys watch it, it will fail.

- With respect to the wiki article, they mention the change of the Enterprise being built on Earth as opposed to in space, which caused a sensation among the truly nerdy. (I've watched tons of Star Trek and honestly didn't remember that or care about remembering that.)

This says something very interesting to me. At first glance, it seems to be a message to the Trek nerds: we will change things. After all, what real difference can it make if it's in space or on Earth? Only the kind of difference that a true nerd could appreciate.

Which is in itself the message from the new creators: we are nerds, too, and we will take good care of this. Heck, they are making some things in the novels canon, which is probably causing some indigestion to some of the more uptight Paramount folks.

I still struggle with the concept of this movie, but at least it seems like it's in good hands.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Anyone let me borrow TNG or DS9 seasons? By the time Netflix ships all of them it will be 2010.[/QUOTE]

Oh hell no... I paid 100 a pop per season when they came out. No way in hell I am letting anyone borrowing it. My guess is that by 2010, Paramount will have them on a single disc blue ray (1 or 2 blue ray disc per season, instead of 7 sd-dvds)

You can always check them out on Marketplace.

Well at least Rick Berman is now out since Enterprise got canned. He took star trek and flushed it down the toilet. This is another reason why I don't own the voyager seasons on dvd. It has too much of his name plastered on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Berman

Seriously though, do we really, really need a reset of the ToS crew?

At least they should give us a DS9 TV 2 hour movie. It's been almost 10 years since the series ended

WB gave Babylon 5 another crack with that Lost Tales series last year and it was successful. So why not give DS9 a mini movie or something.

Voyager should have remained lost in the delta quadrant period, sacrificing getting the crew home to save some primitive race or something. But no Berman had to bring Future Janeway back with bat mobile armor back with her and give Voyager weapons that defy Star Trek logic just to use a borg trans warp conduit to get home and killing the queen. Bah I hate Berman.

^I would imagine that if Star Trek 11 does well in the Box Office we'll be seeing more Star Trek. I would love to see a strait to DVD/TV Deep Space Nine movie.
Of course if it does poorly we'll have to wait a few more years before Paramount tries Star Trek again.

As for Voyager, it should of been more like Battlestar Galactica (the new one), instead of The Next Generation 2.0.

[quote name='Kaijufan']

As for Voyager, it should of been more like Battlestar Galactica (the new one), instead of The Next Generation 2.0.[/QUOTE]

Voyager=TNG 2.0? Nope.

What i was trying to say was that i think we deserve a little fanboyism. What i meant with the enterprise comment was that the fan boys are what keep star trek going, indulge us.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Well at least Rick Berman is now out since Enterprise got canned. He took star trek and flushed it down the toilet. This is another reason why I don't own the voyager seasons on dvd. It has too much of his name plastered on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Berman

Seriously though, do we really, really need a reset of the ToS crew?

At least they should give us a DS9 TV 2 hour movie. It's been almost 10 years since the series ended

WB gave Babylon 5 another crack with that Lost Tales series last year and it was successful. So why not give DS9 a mini movie or something.

Voyager should have remained lost in the delta quadrant period, sacrificing getting the crew home to save some primitive race or something. But no Berman had to bring Future Janeway back with bat mobile armor back with her and give Voyager weapons that defy Star Trek logic just to use a borg trans warp conduit to get home and killing the queen. Bah I hate Berman.[/quote]I agree with the DS9 movie. I know Sikso is technically dead or in limbo , but they could figure something out. The way they ended the show just doesn't make it eays to do a movie though, they wrapped it up a little to much.

You know I tried to introduce my 5 year old nephew to star trek (via the showings on Spike), but he could never get into it. We were watching TNG I think (before they pulled it).

But star wars he loves like crazy. Why? No movies or tv shows are on tv at the moment. Star Trek is better than Star Wars period.

I can't understand why Spike pulled TNG, they could have just had a start trek block with episodes of TNG, DS9 and Voyager.

[quote name='JolietJake']I can't understand why Spike pulled TNG, they could have just had a start trek block with episodes of TNG, DS9 and Voyager.[/QUOTE]

CSI and world's most dangerous video...that's what happened. I think the terms of agreement expired so they can't show TNG anymore.

awww

notice they reduced voyager to 2 showings instead of 3 now?

DS9 is at 2am, with 7 days at 3am...geez.

Personally I'm kind of excited about a Star Trek movie being handled by an "outside" team. I think the TNG movies could have had a grander sense of scale to them if handled a little differently - you had people close to the TV series working on them, and it showed.

Insurrection and Nemesis weren't that great, but generations and especially first contact were.

I always wondered why they didn't do a movie with Q though. That's one thing that countinually pissed me off.

[quote name='JolietJake']Insurrection and Nemesis weren't that great, but generations and especially first contact were.

I always wondered why they didn't do a movie with Q though. That's one thing that countinually pissed me off.[/QUOTE]

Very good Q, no pun intended :p.

Anyways a good Q story would be hard to come by. Q was great on TNG, on Voyager he sucked. Too bad Q was scared to show his face after he got beat up by Sisko. I loved that line:

Q: "You hit me!! Jean Luc never hit me!!"

Sisko: "I am not Jean Luc!!!"

[quote name='lordwow']I don't thing a Q Movie would have been a good idea. They completed the story arc for him in the finale.[/QUOTE]

Yea... Well I don't think Q ever had a story arc. He just showed up.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Personally I'm kind of excited about a Star Trek movie being handled by an "outside" team. I think the TNG movies could have had a grander sense of scale to them if handled a little differently - you had people close to the TV series working on them, and it showed.[/quote]

I just think that they nailed everything so perfectly with First Contact that it was near impossible to top, or even equal that film.

Jonathan Frakes should have directed Nemesis. That would have improved it right off the bat.

I thought that right after Nemesis, there was a good opportunity to have a USS Titan series. Riker as Captain, Troi as SC again, a holographic Data as 1st officer (if they can do it for a doctor, there's no reason why they couldn't take all they knew about Data from his computer interfaces and make him into a functioning hologram), etc.

I would have even liked a Klingon series based around Worf after DS9. Or a 'Starfleet in serious trouble' series. That's when DS9 really picked up for me the second time, when they were getting their asses kicked. It's boring to always have the good guys win every time.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I just think that they nailed everything so perfectly with First Contact that it was near impossible to top, or even equal that film.

Jonathan Frakes should have directed Nemesis. That would have improved it right off the bat.[/QUOTE]

Heck I am still wondering why they pulled Frakes commentary track from Insurrection. Some people think it was because of his boring commentary in First Contact.

meh.

I don't think the TNG movies were bad because they were done by the TV people, there si more to it than that. Star Trek 7 was bad because they were making the movie and doing the show at the same time. Star Trek 8 is classic, even with the lame Borg Queen. Star Trek 9 sucked (OK episode) because of Picard, and Star Trek 10 was a disaster I can't figure out why because there are just too many things to list.

One of the movies should have dealt with the war, even as an after thought. And Star Trek 10 should have had Tarsha Yar's daughter be the bad guy, and that would have been wonderful. A Q movie wouldn't have worked, but an appearence of Q would have been nice.

[quote name='ITDEFX']You know I tried to introduce my 5 year old nephew to star trek (via the showings on Spike), but he could never get into it. We were watching TNG I think (before they pulled it).

But star wars he loves like crazy. Why? No movies or tv shows are on tv at the moment. Star Trek is better than Star Wars period.[/quote]

Not to five year olds.

Star Wars has a lot more going on, and works better on different levels. Kids don't have to understand what's being said in order to follow what's going on. It also has few talky or slow parts.

There will come a point where, if your nephew likes science fiction at all, will like Star Trek, even better than Star Wars. But not for awhile. My eight year old loves Star Wars and is curious about Star Trek, but I haven't even tried with it. Too much of it would still be too dull for him. He still thinks the cool parts of Star Wars are laser blasters, Darth Vader, Jango Fett, vehicles, the droids, and Jar Jar.

Why Jango Fett and not Boba Fett you might ask? Jango Fett gets two blasters. This is not the kind of mindset that's ready for Star Trek.

Right now, any time the characters start talking about issues, metaphysics, philosophy, technobabble -- hell, any time they're just talking, your nephew is going to get bored. And there's a lot of talking in Trek. I think that's a good thing, but it's too much for kids to follow, or even want to follow.

Your best bet is to use the DVDs and select episodes that have more action and less conversation. It's tough. An episode that would be a slam dunk with adults like Yesterday's Enterprise will be totally boring for your nephew. TNG's Best of Both Worlds, maybe. Rascals?

And Voyager. I know you probably feel the same about Voyager as I do, but for once the general implausibility and willingness to sacrifice established continuity for kewl alien action works in your favor.

I don't see how a Q movie could be bad. The guy can do anything, they could have went absolutley anywhere with the movie.

[quote name='JolietJake']I don't see how a Q movie could be bad. The guy can do anything, they could have went absolutley anywhere with the movie.[/quote]

The only thing is that they pretty much did all they could with Q in TNG, Voyager, and DS9. You can only do so much with the whole "tormenting humans" gimmick. He put humnanity on trial, tempted humans with the power of Q, he lost his powers, and he even procreated in Voyager. I'm not sure what else they could do that would warrant a feature film, other than bringing all living members of every show together for some purpose.

I feel like a good Q story works better in the context of a TV series. You either get something very cerebral, or a fun "fish-out-of-water" plotline a la "Q-pid." The movies are where they should be doing big space battles, or generally important stuff that really affects the overall Star Trek storyline (things tend to "go back to normal" after a good Q story).

[quote name='JolietJake']Hell, he could even bring Kirk back from the dead if he wanted.[/QUOTE]

Which would be another reason why it would be a bad idea.

The only storyline I could see is one in which Q eventually tells Picard that all Q are beings from the distant future and they are the direct decendants of all forms of biological life in the universe. That would be ok for a TV show though, not a feature film.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Yea... Well I don't think Q ever had a story arc. He just showed up.[/QUOTE]

There was a definite Q story arc, in fact it was pretty much the only consistent story arc throughout the show.

[quote name='ITDEFX']http://trekmovie.com/2007/10/16/star-trek-movie-mistakes-mash-up/

I don't know about you guys, but the Trilithium bit always bugged me.[/quote]

Hah!

That is awesome who Deanna says she never kissed him with a beard before and then they show several clips where she does.

BTW< check this out. It's hilarious IMO. Especially the parts near the end. Lyrics and general theme NSFW.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzFwgwE870g[/media]

Also found this Mirina Sirtis interview... :bouncy:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkEKjhtgBTg[/media]

I just scored a mint copy of TNG season 5 from Re-Play Games (regional chain) for $31.49! Sweet.

Watching " The Game" with Ensign Lefler now. :bouncy:

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Got a 3 out with Blockbuster for a month, I wonder how much of DS9 I could crank out.[/QUOTE]

huh?

Movie delayed to May 2009. Bummer!!
No Star Trek Until 2009!

ImgServlet

Variety reports that Paramount is pushing back the release of J.J. Abrams' Star Trek from Dec. 25 of this year to May 8, 2009. What the (insert Klingon swear word)! We guess the studio wants to capitalize off the huge buzz that their casting news and trailers have received by letting fans stew in their geek juices a bit longer. Oh, we're stewing.

Officially, the switcheroo was attributed to the studio's release calendar, and now Star Trek has no competition in its new slot — at least not yet, even though it opens one week after X-Men Origins: Wolverine and one week before Da Vinci Code prequel Angels and Demons. No offense to the other movies, but we think with the cast Trek has garnered (including Zachary Quinto as Spock, Eric Bana as Nero and Winona "Out of Hiding" Ryder as Amanda Grayson), and the power of J.J. Abrams behind it, Trek will do just fine. Can we buy our tickets yet? —Erin Fox

[quote name='javeryh']Movie delayed to May 2009. Bummer!![/QUOTE]

WHAT?!?!?!? WHY??!?!!? All the hype for the movie during the teaser trailer infront of Cloverfield. This is bullshit. Paramount must have looked over what the writers came up with when they came back and decided to green light that stuff and push Star Trek back several months.

I'm glad. If they need more time then they should have it.

Plus, I HATE the fact Star Trek films seem to be released in the winter all the time. A quasi-summer release is goning to be sweet!

Guys, guys. Paramount's announcement of the release is stating that it's not a move for production delays, it's a move because they feel the movie will be sucessful enough to be a summer blockbuster. Movies in May are always some of the biggest movies of the year (this is when movies like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc come out).

This is the equivalent of moving a movie to Sept->Nov because you feel it's an Oscar-contender. Not all delays are for bad reasons.

Yeah, I can't wait for it, but I can wait a year for them to get it right.

Hopefully the first few discs of DS9 S1 will be here this weekend and I can get to rippin....err, watching.

bread's done
Back