The Star Trek III (Back from the Dead) Thread

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Yeah, I can't wait for it, but I can wait a year for them to get it right.

Hopefully the first few discs of DS9 S1 will be here this weekend and I can get to rippin....err, watching.[/QUOTE]

My gf has been dying to watch DS9 since we finished TNG. I'll have to pick it up at some point, since we've gone down to 1 disk at Netflix.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I'm glad. If they need more time then they should have it.

Plus, I HATE the fact Star Trek films seem to be released in the winter all the time. A quasi-summer release is goning to be sweet![/QUOTE]

Lets see

Generations: November 18, 1994
First Contact: November 22, 1996
Insurrection: December 11, 1998
Nemesis: December 13, 2002

Star Trek doesn't have that summer movie feel to it.

If this gives them more time to write an even better script I don't mind.
Warner also delayed Justice League, even though they were ready to film, because of the writer's strike.
Paramount doesn't want to screw this up. And I'm fine with that.

[quote name='Kaijufan']If this gives them more time to write an even better script I don't mind.
Warner also delayed Justice League, even though they were ready to film, because of the writer's strike.
Paramount doesn't want to screw this up. And I'm fine with that.[/QUOTE]

I have this strange feeling that Cloverfield 2 will come out in December and they asked, no PAID the guy who did it to delay Star Trek for a few months so they can get Cloverfield 2 out by the end of the year :(

[quote name='ITDEFX']Lets see

Generations: November 18, 1994
First Contact: November 22, 1996
Insurrection: December 11, 1998
Nemesis: December 13, 2002

Star Trek doesn't have that summer movie feel to it.[/quote]

That's because TNG is for nerds (because it was well thought out, had engaging characters and made sense for the most part - you know...it was great), however, everyone loves TOS!!!! Summer blockbuster for Kirk and Spock (and the oh-my-god-the new Uhura is so :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:)!!!!!

Well Wrath of Khan was a summer blockbuster, and I think this movie will have a Wrath of Khan feel to it (and not in a Nemesis sort of way).

[quote name='javeryh']That's because TNG is for nerds (because it was well thought out, had engaging characters and made sense for the most part - you know...it was great), however, everyone loves TOS!!!! Summer blockbuster for Kirk and Spock (and the oh-my-god-the new Uhura is so :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:)!!!!![/QUOTE]

I don't have any love for TOS, I respect it, but do not love it.......now DS9 on the other hand :)

[quote name='ITDEFX']I don't have any love for TOS, I respect it, but do not love it.......now DS9 on the other hand :)[/quote]

Every real Trek fan knows that DS9 was the greatest Trek series of them all.

[quote name='javeryh']Every real Trek fan knows that DS9 was the greatest Trek series of them all.[/quote]There wouldn't be a star trek francise were it not for TNG. :p

[quote name='lordwow']Well Wrath of Khan was a summer blockbuster, and I think this movie will have a Wrath of Khan feel to it (and not in a Nemesis sort of way).[/QUOTE]

We can only hope, since every real Trek fan knows that's the best Trek movie...closely followed by First Contact though..

[quote name='JolietJake']There wouldn't be a star trek francise were it not for TNG. :p[/QUOTE]

Agreed

[quote name='javeryh']Every real Trek fan knows that DS9 was the greatest Trek series of them all.[/QUOTE]

Agreed as well.

[quote name='keithp']We can only hope, since every real Trek fan knows that's the best Trek movie...closely followed by First Contact though..[/quote]
Voyage Home > Wrath of khan.:twoguns:

[quote name='JolietJake']Voyage Home > Wrath of khan.:twoguns:[/QUOTE]

Nah, VH was good, don't get me wrong, but WOK perfectly captured the feel of the series without being heavy-handed on the morals of destroying the environment.

Besides, it has the greatest Trek villian of all time. "KHHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!"

[quote name='keithp']Nah, VH was good, don't get me wrong, but WOK perfectly captured the feel of the series without being heavy-handed on the morals of destroying the environment.

Besides, it has the greatest Trek villian of all time. "KHHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!"[/quote]Yeah, but voyage home has spock trying to curse.:)

Double dumbass on you.:lol:

[quote name='JolietJake']Yeah, but voyage home has spock trying to curse.:)

Double dumbass on you.:lol:[/QUOTE]

Deadly earwigs > Spock trying to curse.

I see your double dumbass and raise you a "thpt!!" :whistle2:\"

[quote name='keithp']Deadly earwigs > Spock trying to curse.

I see your double dumbass and raise you a "thpt!!" :whistle2:\"[/quote]

Scotty trying to talk to the 1980s apple computer > all.

[quote name='JolietJake']Scotty trying to talk to the 1980s apple computer > all.[/QUOTE]

:bow:

Yeah, that WAS good...

[quote name='JolietJake']Yeah, but voyage home has spock trying to curse.:)

Double dumbass on you.:lol:[/quote]

That is most fucking illogical.

Wrath of Khan for the win.

guess it's star trek nerd night in the trek thread :)

Sad to see there wasn't a follow up story to where that log came from. :(

[quote name='javeryh']Every real Trek fan knows that DS9 was the greatest Trek series of them all.[/quote]
So very true. :)

As for my favorite movie I just don't know, it just depends on how I'm feeling. Some days it's Wrath of Kahn, some days it's The Voyage Home and some days it's First Contact.

[quote name='Kaijufan']So very true. :)

As for my favorite movie I just don't know, it just depends on how I'm feeling. Some days it's Wrath of Kahn, some days it's The Voyage Home and some days it's First Contact.[/QUOTE]

Don't laugh, but some days for me it's Undiscovered Country. I really like the mystery-vibe it gives off.

When I first saw Star Trek 6, I never suspected those two crewmates, Valeris, Admiral Cartwright, the Romulan Ambassador, General Chang and so on where all part of the Conspiracy to destroy the peace. Thank god for Kirk and crew to save the day :)

In the original VI script, it was supposed to be Saavik, not Valeris, but Roddenbery thought it was out of character for her. I would have been more shocked if it was Saavik.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Anyone think they will still release TOS season 2&3 on HD-DVD?[/QUOTE]

They are still committed to releasing season 2 on HD-DVD this year. However if Toshiba folds and surrenders the HD-DVD format, we could see Paramount canceling the HD-DVD version and release just the blue ray version. I am sure they (paramount) are currently quietly developing the BR version as we speak.

[quote name='lordwow']In the original VI script, it was supposed to be Saavik, not Valeris, but Roddenbery thought it was out of character for her. I would have been more shocked if it was Saavik.[/QUOTE]

Roddenberry chose....wisely....

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Nah, but it's still FREE STAR TREK!! :bouncy:[/quote]

I really wish my local My20 would keep a constant schedule because I am lucky if I catch a 2.0 episode at a good time. :bomb: Oh well I am going to have to catch it on blue ray some time down the road.

I also wish Spike brought back TNG in the afternoon, instead of Voyager...

Okay, I'm a month out of date. Sue me.

[quote name='keithp']Roddenberry chose....wisely....[/quote]

I could not disagree more, and it's this reason more than anything else that ST VI will never be my favorite ST movie, despite having an awful lot of great stuff in it.

Real drama is never about easy choices. One of the things that makes Star Trek II such a powerful movie is that there are truly tough choices with no easy outs, and these choices lead to consequences that are even tougher.

By turning Saavik, a character that everyone knows and likes (at least in Star Trek II) into a similar character that no one has ever seen before, the dramatic impact of her divided loyalties is completely lost.

Rather than see Saavik's betrayal as a devestating blow and Spock's involuntary mind-meld as a truly horrific violation, it's just part of the plot. She's one of the Bad Guys (tm) and we can totally dismiss her and everyone in league with her.

Does anyone mourn Valeris? No, not really. Does anyone really think about how a character could have the right philosophy but come to a tragically wrong conclusion? Maybe a little. But in the end, who cares about her? We don't have to, since we've never seen her before, never will again, and can dismiss her as being wrong. Our universe and worldview is not shaken

Roddenberry is correct that Saavik would never intentionally hurt Kirk or Spock, but this provides the rationale why "Valeris" works both sides of the fence, attempting to help Kirk and Spock when she can. What he really didn't like is that a much-loved character would turn out to be "bad".

This is kind of funny, occurring the way it does in ST VI. Much of Star Trek depends on taking contemporary human problems and packaging them up in an alien race. Starfleet and the Federation are supposed to be the evolved, gold standard of what humanity can become if we confront our problems.

ST VI pretty much demolished this. Klingons can be good. Starfleet types can be bad. What important is not what was done in the past, but where people go together in the future. This is not so much a repudiation of the Roddenberry model, but an acknowledgment that real life is messy and that boundaries are not always so easily packaged and compartmentalized.

It's therefore ironic that we have this message that it's not who you are but what you do that's important, and that you must look past the prejudices of the past, and yet Roddenberry couldn't let go of the idea that Saavik, because she's Starfleet and people like her, could ever be on the wrong side of a moral issue or point of view. Too bad. Much of the Star Trek that was filmed after ST VI probably would have been a lot more interesting had Roddenberry lost this argument.

Thus, by turning Saavik into Valeris, the movie undermines its own message. It's easy to say "they're wrong and we're right", but it's not at all easy to confront the idea that even well-intentioned people that you know and like can still be stuck in the past and will do surprising things to stay there.

[quote name='blandstalker']Okay, I'm a month out of date. Sue me.

I could not disagree more, and it's this reason more than anything else that ST VI will never be my favorite ST movie, despite having an awful lot of great stuff in it.

Real drama is never about easy choices. One of the things that makes Star Trek II such a powerful movie is that there are truly tough choices with no easy outs, and these choices lead to consequences that are even tougher.

By turning Saavik, a character that everyone knows and likes (at least in Star Trek II) into a similar character that no one has ever seen before, the dramatic impact of her divided loyalties is completely lost.

Rather than see Saavik's betrayal as a devestating blow and Spock's involuntary mind-meld as a truly horrific violation, it's just part of the plot. She's one of the Bad Guys (tm) and we can totally dismiss her and everyone in league with her.

Does anyone mourn Valeris? No, not really. Does anyone really think about how a character could have the right philosophy but come to a tragically wrong conclusion? Maybe a little. But in the end, who cares about her? We don't have to, since we've never seen her before, never will again, and can dismiss her as being wrong. Our universe and worldview is not shaken

Roddenberry is correct that Saavik would never intentionally hurt Kirk or Spock, but this provides the rationale why "Valeris" works both sides of the fence, attempting to help Kirk and Spock when she can. What he really didn't like is that a much-loved character would turn out to be "bad".

This is kind of funny, occurring the way it does in ST VI. Much of Star Trek depends on taking contemporary human problems and packaging them up in an alien race. Starfleet and the Federation are supposed to be the evolved, gold standard of what humanity can become if we confront our problems.

ST VI pretty much demolished this. Klingons can be good. Starfleet types can be bad. What important is not what was done in the past, but where people go together in the future. This is not so much a repudiation of the Roddenberry model, but an acknowledgment that real life is messy and that boundaries are not always so easily packaged and compartmentalized.

It's therefore ironic that we have this message that it's not who you are but what you do that's important, and that you must look past the prejudices of the past, and yet Roddenberry couldn't let go of the idea that Saavik, because she's Starfleet and people like her, could ever be on the wrong side of a moral issue or point of view. Too bad. Much of the Star Trek that was filmed after ST VI probably would have been a lot more interesting had Roddenberry lost this argument.

Thus, by turning Saavik into Valeris, the movie undermines its own message. It's easy to say "they're wrong and we're right", but it's not at all easy to confront the idea that even well-intentioned people that you know and like can still be stuck in the past and will do surprising things to stay there.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Additionally, had the Saavik/Spock love-child story (which was original scripted in IV) been included on top of this, it would have been one of the most shocking twists in Trek.

Seems there is a internet fan film going around called Of Gods and Men with some of the actors from Voyager, DS9 and TOS. I have to check it out sometime. Looks interesting. I wonder how the hell did the producers of this film get

1-Paramounts approval.
2-The money to PAY the actors to play these roles.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Seems there is a internet fan film going around called Of Gods and Men with some of the actors from Voyager, DS9 and TOS. I have to check it out sometime. Looks interesting. I wonder how the hell did the producers of this film get

1-Paramounts approval.
2-The money to PAY the actors to play these roles.[/QUOTE]

The guy who runs it is a real producer, I believe. He was shut down about a year ago, and it got a huge backlash from the Trek community, and all of the actors who were involved. The result was Paramount allowed him to continue to produce them as long as he wasn't turning a profit from them.

As far as paying the actors, I don't know if he is. It's not a requirement on web video, like it is on an indie film or whatnot.

Courtesy of CNN: Abrams aims to reinvent 'Trek' world

The most interesting bits for me were:
"The whole point was to try to make this movie for fans of movies, not fans of 'Star Trek,' necessarily," Abrams said. "If you're a fan, we've got one of the writers who's a devout Trekker, so we were able to make sure we were serving the people who are completely enamored with 'Star Trek.' But we are not making the movie for that contingent alone.
"You can't really make a movie for them. As soon as you start to guess what you think they are going to want to see, you're in trouble. You have to make the movie in many ways for what you want to see yourself, make a movie you believe in. Then you're not second-guessing an audience you don't really have an understanding of."
I'm actually at a loss for words. While I agree with the (somewhat vague) "movie you believe in" and the notion of the importance of making a movie that would be good whether or not it was Star Trek, I find it a little scary it's an audience he doesn't "really have an understanding of".

Is this the part where I mention that the last time we had a director that didn't know much about Trek and a writer who was a fan, we ended up with Nemesis?

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Star Trek the Next Generation is NOW ON SCI-FI!!!!

7pm to 11pm EST tonight. :D[/quote]

yea I was like oh snap!

only one problem.

low grade verizon sd analog signal on a s-video video signal less than dvd quality on a LCD 37 inch HDTV :cry:

*sniff*

it's about time sci-fi picked up the show.

Now that we are back on the first season of TNG... don't you find it strange how there were like 3-4 chief engineers during the first season?

[quote name='ITDEFX']yea I was like oh snap!

only one problem.

low grade verizon sd analog signal on a s-video video signal less than dvd quality on a LCD 37 inch HDTV :cry:

*sniff*

it's about time sci-fi picked up the show.

Now that we are back on the first season of TNG... don't you find it strange how there were like 3-4 chief engineers during the first season?[/QUOTE]

I find it more strange how quickly LaForge got promoted from Lt (jg) to Lt. Cmdr.

[quote name='lordwow']I find it more strange how quickly LaForge got promoted from Lt (jg) to Lt. Cmdr.[/quote]

or to chief engineer for that matter. I always thought that his actions in "The Arsenal of Freedom" (Playing right now on sci fi) was what earned him the promotion. I dunno, season 1 is so full of mistakes.. it wasn't til season 3 where things got better.

They had no idea who the fuck the chief engineer was back then, i think thats why they tried to limit the time in engineering back then. Besides, every time there was an engineering problem, Geordi always ended up getting involved anyway,

I wonder if that chick who played Yar was kicking herself in the ass after TNG became so successful. Last movie I saw her in was in Deep Impact in 1998...I was like "Is that Tasha Yar?" Also wonder what would have happened if she stayed behind for the rest of the seasons instead of jumping ship.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I wonder if that chick who played Yar was kicking herself in the ass after TNG became so successful. Last movie I saw her in was in Deep Impact in 1998...I was like "Is that Tasha Yar?" Also wonder what would have happened if she stayed behind for the rest of the seasons instead of jumping ship.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Worf probably would have become the helsmen.

At least she was a good sport about it and did the Yesterday's Enterprise and the cliffhanger later on. Those were superb guest appearances, and something you rarely see on other series.

[quote name='lordwow']:rofl:

Worf probably would have become the helsmen.

At least she was a good sport about it and did the Yesterday's Enterprise and the cliffhanger later on. Those were superb guest appearances, and something you rarely see on other series.[/quote]

You forgot the Sela Episodes. That was a twist in the show that no one expected including myself. I was hoping for more encounters in later episodes and heck even in Nemesis, but alas no go :(

[quote name='ITDEFX']You forgot the Sela Episodes. That was a twist in the show that no one expected including myself. I was hoping for more encounters in later episodes and heck even in Nemesis, but alas no go :([/QUOTE]

That's what I meant by the cliffhanger :lol: And ya, she definitely should have been in Nemesis.

Speak of the devil, Yar's death episode by that tar monster is on now. Even that episode *hinted* that something could have come between Worf and Yar.

I seem to remember Yar and Worf sparing once and Yar kicking Worf's ass. Maybe it was with someone else.

Denise Croaby did those two Trek documentary movies, "Trekkies" i think they're called. She seems to still take an interest in being connected to the show, probably the only paying work she gets, which is ironic considering she chose to leave the show.

[quote name='JolietJake']I seem to remember Yar and Worf sparing once and Yar kicking Worf's ass. Maybe it was with someone else.

Denise Croaby did those two Trek documentary movies, "Trekkies" i think they're called. She seems to still take an interest in being connected to the show, probably the only paying work she gets, which is ironic considering she chose to leave the show.[/quote]

Only Patrick Stward, Michael Dorn and maybe Brent Spiner managed to save there acting careers post TNG. Everyone else has been so so afterwards. You know after all these years I have realized how many pounds Troy gained over the seasons. She looked amazing with her hair down and that bright blue dress in the 3rd season.

bread's done
Back