The "Stay Classy, Republicans" Super Nintendo Chalmers Thread

I don't know for all companies but for mine it means we will have more cash for our projects which will mean more jobs.

I don't like the hurried nature of the bill but I get it too, Democrats have made it clear that there was no version of the bill they would be on board with. The thing I don't like much is that since they were not making it revenue neutral, they had 1.5 trillion of fat to work with. That's why they were able to get everyone on board, all the fence sitters added fat for there states that add to the deficit. That part of it is pretty shameful but not unusual. Every bill has fat added in, both parties do it.

I would have liked to see more cuts to make the bill more revenue neutral. I think it's a shame that both parties are okay with adding trillions to the debt.

It is what it is though, Republicans had to pass something this year or voters and especially rich donors wouldn't be happy.

I'm curious to dissect the final bill and see how it will effect my workplace and me personally.

Democrats complained that the bill is being rushed, even though Obamacare was largely passed in the same way. Remember "we have to pass the bill to see what's in it?"
(A) This isn't remotely true. The ACA spent a year in committees and with numerous hearings and was available to be read. Pelosi's comment was that, until the bill started working in people's lives, it wasn't easy to explain a ton of pages of legislation. This tax bill was written behind closed doors where even most members of the GOP Senate didn't know what was in it. It was intentionally kept as secret as possible to avoid backlash before it could be voted on.

(B) Even if it WAS true, how is that a defense? No one from the GOP was saying "We really think the ACA was a well legislated bill".

It is what it is though, Republicans had to pass something this year or voters and especially rich donors wouldn't be happy.
That's what it really came down to. Pass anything, no matter how ruinous to the American middle and working class, to appease big business and rich donors.

Why would job creators want to create more jobs if they can keep more of the vast amounts of money they have? You conservatives keep talking about how the tax plans will help the working class by giving them what? $1000 to $4000  a year back? And this is while education, health care, the environment, sanitation, FDA, Science and Research, and many non-military programs get cut? You know what happens with that so called fantastic tax cut when the working man has to end up paying more? Gone.

You want immediate proof that a very low tax rate creates jobs? Not that stuff about how Bush and Clinton had to raise taxes just to take care of the mess caused by Reagan? Look at Kansas. First result about Kansas and job creation is an piece about how Sam Brownback basically made the state the fourth worst state in terms of job creation. Tax revenue went down, and this year, the State Legislature, despite its heavily Republican lean, raised taxes because the government was running out of money.

And why do you support a tax plan that benefits only the rich? The same rich that put the economy in the same gutter that you blame Obama and the Wall Street Elites for? Why do you support giving those George Soros types more money to "ruin Democracy" as you say? Why would job creators who get to keep more of their money from this plan be so benevolent in creating jobs? They would love it if they didn't have to pay any tax, and this bill doesn't even give them an incentive. And Small Businesses? These tax plans won't even affect them that much, unless they're Trump Enterprises.

(A) This isn't remotely true. The ACA spent a year in committees and with numerous hearings and was available to be read. Pelosi's comment was that, until the bill started working in people's lives, it wasn't easy to explain a ton of pages of legislation. This tax bill was written behind closed doors where even most members of the GOP Senate didn't know what was in it. It was intentionally kept as secret as possible to avoid backlash before it could be voted on.

(B) Even if it WAS true, how is that a defense? No one from the GOP was saying "We really think the ACA was a well legislated bill".
And let's not forget there were amendments literally scribbled into the margins of the bill that no one could decipher.

If you ain't rich, this bill is gonna fuck you over hard, but you right-wingers have fun thinking you're temporary embarrassed millionaires.

what Ive never understood though, why not attack this from the demand side instead of supply side. Why not give tax breaks to the general populace and increase the corporate tax rate. Incentivizing consumers to purchase more, giving companies more profits, which in turn then falls into the same theory of giving them a tax break, they now have more money to invest, expand, create jobs, etc.

Except in that scenario both sides win. Where as with supply side economics the producers now have more money, which they theoretically can use to create jobs and expand, but that is it, just more jobs (and corporate profits). At least with demand side breaks you have just made your entire populace happy and you ask the producers to fight over consumers, produce more, and innovate, i.e. capitalism. The other way around you are just incentivizing a glut of supply expansion in which fewer and fewer can afford what is produced unless prices plummet, which they dont (except through the usual course of decades worth of innovations and only in certain areas)

In the end you want your populace to be happy, I mean it is supposedly a government for the people. Giving breaks to a faceless, unliving, unfeeling entity who's sole purpose is to generate 'things' over giving those breaks to your actual living and breathing human beings who make up your country seems to be the antithesis to what this country stands for.

This is what basically happened last century, and it helped increase consumer confidence and spending. The supply side with reagan helped with some stagnation and inflation issues. Maybe its time we swing back the other way for a while

Last edited by a moderator:
Raising corporate taxes is the last thing you want to do.  Companies will simply shift their home headquarters to a foreign country with a more favorable tax rate.  Under Obama, there was a record number of companies that underwent "corporate inversions" where they would merge with another company in a more favorable tax environment then establish the absorbed company's country as the home base for operations.  This is why countries like Ireland have flourished as the home base or subsidiary for many multinational corporations. 

In addition, most US companies have huge hoards of cash based overseas on which they would be taxed at U.S. rates if they brought back to the U.S. which has really curtailed reinvestment (Apple alone has $246 billion dollars overseas!)  Just by lowering the tax rate comparable to other countries will make a huge difference in all this cash being repatriated.  Even if you cynically believe corporations will simply use that cash for huge bonuses and dividends, at least it'll be repatriated to the U.S. and taxed.  It's doing no good for the U.S. economy just sitting around in other countries.

Sounds to me like thats an issue with the tax laws themselves, not the corporate tax rate. Once again a corporation can get preferential treatment over common citizens. A citizen cannot claim to live in a country with minimal income tax all while still actually living, working, and producing with in the USA and not pay US taxes

Under Obama there was a record number of inversions not because of Obama's tax policies (or lack thereof), you seem to forget that his tenure was right after a financial crash that caused many people call for blood. Deciding to move your taxable assets to a foreign country is not a new idea at all, and with crippled or negligent regulatory agencies, that's what people in the business world call an opportunity

I actually agree, drug testing is a dumb idea.  They should just limit the duration that people can be on SNAP (like a year or so) and/or require evidence of actively looking for work or having current employment.

Uh... That is exactly how most Welfare programs work thanks to Bill Clinton. Unless you also expect the elderly and disabled (yuge Trump supporters) to look for work.

We're all getting tax cuts, but for most people it's temporary, and the rich tax cuts are permanent, as well as those kickbacks! Never mind it doesn't address rising costs in health care, education, and many more things! What matters is the Republicans won, even if America loses! #MAGA! https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/19/us/politics/tax-bill-vote-congress.html

It's gonna be so great when those job creators trickle down on us peasants!

Let the trickle down begin:

AT&T announces $1,000 bonus for 200,000 workers.

Comcast also announces $1,000 bonus for 100,000 workers and pledges $50 billion over five years for infrastructure investment adding thousands of jobs

Boeing pledges $300 million investment in worker training, facility upgrades, and matching of worker charitable contributions

Fifth Corp Bancorp announces raising minimum wage to $15/hour (something Democrats have prioritized) and $1,000 bonus to 13,500 workers

Wells Fargo also announces raising minimum wage to $15/hour and commits to charitable giving of $400 million.

at least for comcast if you look at their past quarterly spending, they were already going to spend 50bil over 5 years. Its all marketing

Let the trickle down begin:

AT&T announces $1,000 bonus for 200,000 workers.

Comcast also announces $1,000 bonus for 100,000 workers and pledges $50 billion over five years for infrastructure investment adding thousands of jobs

Boeing pledges $300 million investment in worker training, facility upgrades, and matching of worker charitable contributions

Fifth Corp Bancorp announces raising minimum wage to $15/hour (something Democrats have prioritized) and $1,000 bonus to 13,500 workers

Wells Fargo also announces raising minimum wage to $15/hour and commits to charitable giving of $400 million.
One time bonuses mean shit, the companies stand to make more back after deductions, plans like these aren't made because of a sudden change in the tax code, and changes to minimum wage aren't made at the drop of the hat either. This is just one huge PR push. But hey, better to get an extra $20 a week for a few years while gutting the social safety net and paying more than $20 a week in increased insurance premiums, of which you've demonstrating absolutely no understanding of.

Thanks for playing.

Those job cuts are workers involved in the Direct TV acquisition.    Job cuts after mergers are unavoidable but the overwhelming balance is quite positive (AT&T committed to creating 7,000 new jobs as well).

Say what you want about Trump, but he has had one of the most successful first years from an economic standpoint for any president in recent memory.

He owes it to Obama
Markets go off of future predictions, as soon as republicans were talking about tax cuts for corporations, that makes the market better. If the tax bill had failed you would have seen a drop in the market.

We are overdue for a drop in the market and I think this tax cut only postponed it and will make it worse once it hits. Presidents always try to fight the cycle of the free market but it eventually will level out.

2018 should still be very strong for the market and I predict another 10-15% gain since the tax bill opens the way for repatriation of overseas cash which will inject a massive amount of capital into the economy.  The economy is still smoking with unemployment remain at 4.1% with  record lows in black and hispanic unemployment

2019 could be dicey, especially if the Democrats regain majority in the House, though I actually think Democratic optimism is a bit too unbridled.  The media has done a great job demonizing anyone who expresses any support about Trump so I think there are a lot of folks like myself who viewing his overall performance with an objective eye, who can understand that there some clear positives in his first year and do see there is some basis for Trump's disdain for the media (rampant sexual harassment issues, false reporting by major news networks).  I think there are a significant number of hidden mainstream Trump supporters who just aren't open about it due to fears of social and work backlash.

Perfectly reasonable to require able bodied Medicaid recipients to work and pay premiums just like the rest of us who actually work and have to pay premiums from insurance we get from our own jobs.  Not sure why this is so controversial. 

Perfectly reasonable to require able bodied Medicaid recipients to work and pay premiums just like the rest of us who actually work and have to pay premiums from insurance we get from our own jobs. Not sure why this is so controversial.
How are you going to enforce that requirement? Sounds like even more money than usual. Drug testing? Gonna ask those pill popping deplorables to submit to them?

---

“Right now in a number of states, the laws allow a baby to be born from his or her mother's womb in the ninth month. It is wrong. It has to change.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/19/at-march-for-life-rally-trump-says-late-term-abortions-are-wrong-and-must-change.html

So, the GOP has control of all 3 branches of the government and still couldn't avoid a shutdown because they held immigrants and sick children hostage.

Ah. The typical response.

You are consistent, if nothing else.

I know you enjoy the jousting, Al. You participate so eagerly.

All Im saying is that we should do it here, rather than hijack a serious thread. You can see the logic in that, cant you?

That was a question, by the way.

bread's done
Back