The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V5! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

This is a Wiki post. Please read this
We appreciate you helping keep this thread up to date. The sales change virtually every day so no one person has the time to update them all. If you notice a game is no longer on sale, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see a game is on sale, add it to the list. Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.
for instructions on updating the thread.

Steam Games and DLC on Sale - Updated 12/16

Daily Deal(s)

Midweek Madness Deal(s) Weekend Deal(s)

Other Deals

Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 9/23

Amazon
  • Amazon - Preorders

• Amazon - Current Deals

GamersGate

Greenman Gaming

Preorder Deals - Updated 10/28
Group Buys - Updated 8/14

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff - Updated 4/3

There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card.
The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Which retail CD Keys are accepted on Steam?

All retail Valve games and a number of third-party games can be registered to your Steam account. All of the following games can be registered through Steam:
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: ####-#####-####
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • AI War CD Keys in various formats
  • Aliens vs. Predator (2010 Release) CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Alpha Prime CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Audiosurf CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • BRINK CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is not accepted on Steam
  • Cities in Motion CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Civilization V CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Cricket Revolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys may also have been printed incorrectly, please see the Dark Messiah article
  • Darksiders CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: The number 2 and letter Z may look very similar.
  • Dawn of War II CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dawn of War II - Retribution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Defense Grid CD Keys in this format (Direct2Drive only): 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Duke Nukem Forever CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Empire: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-DDEFGH3-IJK4L-MNOPQ-RST56
  • F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • F.E.A.R. 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Fallout: New Vegas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2010 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2011 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Front Mission Evolved CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Global Agenda CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Keys purchased directly from the Global Agenda website cannot be registered on Steam.
  • GTI Racing CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • GTR Evolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Homefront CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Humble Indie Bundle in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 2 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 3 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Just Cause 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Please input all O's and 0's as Q's for Just Cause 2
  • Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Killing Floor CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lara Croft Guardian of Light CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Last Remnant CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lionheart: Kings' Crusade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Extreme Condition CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Colonies Edition CD Keys are not accepted on Steam
  • Mafia 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Magicka CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Metro 2033 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • MLB Front Office Manager CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: Warband CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • NBA 2K9 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Napoleon: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Order of War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Prey CD Keys in this format: AAB1BB2C345CDD6E E7
  • R.U.S.E. CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: R.U.S.E. keys from Ubisoft's Digital River service are not accepted on Steam
  • RACE - the WTCC Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • RACE 07 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ragdoll Kung Fu CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Railworks CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Red Orchestra CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Rogue Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • SiN Episodes: Emergence CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Saint's Row 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Serious Sam HD CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Shattered Horizon CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Ship CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ship Simulator Extremes CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Silent Hill Homecoming CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Sniper: Ghost Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Space Trader CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Speedball 2 - Tournament in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Star Trek: D-A-C CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • STCC - The Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Super Meat Boy CD keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Supreme Commander 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Torchlight CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Note: Only keys purchased directly from Runic Games or Perfect World prior to May 19th, 2010 can be registered on Steam.
  • Total War: SHOGUN 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Unreal Tournament 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2-3FGH-456I-K8LM
  • Velvet Assassin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings in this format: AB-1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM
  • Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • X3: Terran Conflict CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Zeno Clash CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
Opposing Force CD-keys cannot be registered through Steam. Opposing Force was included in a retail Half-Life package. The Half-Life CD-key included in the package will unlock all of the games in that package, including Opposing Force.
Note: Only the retail games listed above can be registered through Steam. No other retail games can be registered and downloaded using Steam.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

The Ball (bought @D2D and tested by voken)
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon and tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Roll']Thank you, I'm really considering this! I just have 2 questions:

Do these packs give you individual codes for each game and add-on?
and all of this activates on steam (just making sure)?[/QUOTE]

I bought it this morning. You get individual codes for everything, and they all activate on Steam.

I voted for some stuff on greenlight. Will have to wait and see how it goes for the first few weeks before I decide if its a good thing or not.

I voted for Nestalgia, Major Mayhem and Mutant Mudds.

[quote name='louiedog']Steam Greenlight needs next/previous or maybe a random button. I just want to cycle through these and see what's up.[/QUOTE]

That's my exact thoughts from the first game I checked out.

[quote name='louiedog']Steam Greenlight needs next/previous or maybe a random button. I just want to cycle through these and see what's up.[/QUOTE]
Also needs an ignore button so you don't have to vote on everything in order to see only the new ones. I'm already getting confused whether I've looked at a game yet.

So is there an infinite supply of games? I only see like 40 pop up. Do more show up as you vote for them? I'm just upvoting anything that looks remotely interesting. Not sure how it works though. Wonder if they might be better off putting limits (like 10 upvotes per week) so have people actually give the games a better look.

Just to clarify to show my support for a game on Greenlight I give it a thumbs up and favorite it? Is that it?

Edit: I was just told that the thumbs up is all that's needed. Favoriting just helps ya keep track of the ones you like. Thanks Sunghost :)

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']So is there an infinite supply of games? I only see like 40 pop up. Do more show up as you vote for them? I'm just upvoting anything that looks remotely interesting. Not sure how it works though. Wonder if they might be better off putting limits (like 10 upvotes per week) so have people actually give the games a better look.[/QUOTE]

That's what I did, and that's all I saw. Some really interesting projects in it.

[quote name='Seraphym']That's what I did, and that's all I saw. Some really interesting projects in it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just watched the 12 minute gameplay video of Sang Froid and it looked really cool so I hope that one makes it.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Yeah, I just watched the 12 minute gameplay video of Sang Froid and it looked really cool so I hope that one makes it.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I voted for that one. Looks great. I just refreshed it and there's some new ones. Maybe the're still adding stuff.

I wish I had picked up The Secret World last week when steam had it on sale for $25.
I've been playing the 3(5) day trial (3 days jump to 5 days if you complete 30 missions during the first 3 days) and I am liking it quite a bit.
I will probably bite on it if I can find it for $25 again someplace. I used to love Duoing with my GF in MMOs, but we got burnt out on them. Something about this one is interesting to me though - I wish it was a single player lol.

[quote name='SeymourGams']Cateia Games Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe New World was added to the Groupees bundle for the 6,500 goal.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up, grabbed the code and activated it. Now to manually remove the game from my wishlist. (lol Steam lack of automation)

Yeah, everybody needs to vote for:

- Project Giana
- Wyv and Keep
- Project Zomboid

More titles keep getting added, but those are the best one I see from the bunch so far (I own two of them from a while back). I've voted for a few more than that as I'm a fan of roguelikes and older style adventure type rpgs.

I can't even read through the descriptions and vote fast enough to keep up with the games being added.

Edit: Also, anyone that has been keeping an eye out for FTL, it releases Sep 14.

As someone who doesn't impulsively click every link added to this thread, thank you to those who bother to reference which game it is they're linking each time.
It's easier to remember which games people are praising when there's a name attached to it.

I don't think I need to say anything about this one.

Seduce Me.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92927944&searchtext=
Might be NWS content depending on where you work.

There really needs to be a dev account flag, apparently someone threw up the original Turok (it's been deleted already). They definitely need to be verified that the right person is adding the game and not some random person not tied to it at all.

More edit:
Someone added Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, image in spoiler tag.
MZNeW.jpg

[quote name='plft']There really needs to be a dev account flag, apparently someone threw up the original Turok (it's been deleted already). They definitely need to be verified that the right person is adding the game and not some random person not tied to it at all.[/QUOTE]

Definitely. People who are adding games of their own volition do a disservice to the developers who actually make the games. They're more than likely children who think they're helping or idiots ruining this service by trolling.

Bit on walking dead. Bought the last 2 on xbox but hadn't bought the 3rd episode yet so buying all 5 on steam for what I needed left was the same price.

Greenlight all ready pulled SeduceMe lol

I was hoping I'd see "To the Moon" in the Steam greenlight, but then I remembered it was already accepted over 4 months ago, even though it's still not out. I took some solace after realizing it has a game hub already :)
http://steamcommunity.com/app/206440

On a tangent, I recently finished Analogue: A Hate Story, which I got from the Getaway bundle.

I thought it was pretty enjoyable overall, and the characters and their stories/tragedies gradually immersed me in their world. However, I found it odd and jarring that while the game's AI characters continually spoke about the dangers of misogynistic cultures and ideals (while emphasizing the need of female empowerment), they both fell into very cliche anime tropes (shy, subservient girl who dresses like a maid and treats you like a master, tsundere girl who shows a tough exterior but is shy underneath, etc). I wish they were written better so that the "good" endings do not show them falling in love so immediately with someone they talk to for a couple hours... I know I may be expecting too much from a visual novel, but given the mature topics that the game covers, I thought this could have been handled much better.

Oh well, for all my criticism, I still enjoyed the game and found it well worth my money and (more importantly these days) time.

[quote name='imac2much']I was hoping I'd see "To the Moon" in the Steam greenlight, but then I remembered it was already accepted over 4 months ago, even though it's still not out. I took some solace after realizing it has a game hub already :)
http://steamcommunity.com/app/206440

On a tangent, I recently finished Analogue: A Hate Story, which I got from the Getaway bundle.

I thought it was pretty enjoyable overall, and the characters and their stories/tragedies gradually immersed me in their world. However, I found it odd and jarring that while the game's AI characters continually spoke about the dangers of misogynistic cultures and ideals (while emphasizing the need of female empowerment), they both fell into very cliche anime tropes (shy, subservient girl who dresses like a maid and treats you like a master, tsundere girl who shows a tough exterior but is shy underneath, etc). I wish they were written better so that the "good" endings do not show them falling in love so immediately with someone they talk to for a couple hours... I know I may be expecting too much from a visual novel, but given the mature topics that the game covers, I thought this could have been handled much better.

Oh well, for all my criticism, I still enjoyed the game and found it well worth my money and (more importantly these days) time.[/QUOTE]

I think one could take one AI's mental state into question. I actually found how she acted to be quite in character for someone that became crazy. I mean she immediately falls in love with you. How does that not seem odd considering her past? I did not like the the other girl though. But really the other girl's actions towards you don't make a whole lot of sense when considering how things went previously.

It was quite hard not spoil anything in that and before any even tries to say "how things went previously" spoils anything. The entire point of the game from the get go is to figure out what went wrong on the ship.

It was good though short. I mean even if you go through again and try to get other ending the game is still no longer, if not shorter, than that of a first person shooter. Also... more art, because for a game that had a dedicated artist, as in the programmer/writer was not the artist, there was an amazing lack of art.

[quote name='Draekon']Yeah, everybody needs to vote for:

- Project Giana
- Wyv and Keep
- Project Zomboid

More titles keep getting added, but those are the best one I see from the bunch so far (I own two of them from a while back). I've voted for a few more than that as I'm a fan of roguelikes and older style adventure type rpgs.[/QUOTE]

I voted for those games earlier without reading your post. Game looks really nice

I supported Project Zomboid back when they were giving out keys before they got hacked. I'm glad to see they'll find their way onto Steam (hopefully)!

I'll take the plunge on that Meat Boy Wannabe* "They Bleed Pixels" and report back whenever I can pry myself from WotS4.

Also probably that Snapshot game. It looks cool.

*This descriptive is a troll attempt

I spent the morning exploring Greenlight games and voting up cool ones. Have spent most of the afternoon finding various Slender Man games and down-voting them.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I'll take the plunge on that Meat Boy Wannabe* "They Bleed Pixels" and report back whenever I can pry myself from WotS4.

Also probably that Snapshot game. It looks cool.

*This descriptive is a troll attempt
[/QUOTE]

Speaking of Meat Boy...the Basement Bundle should be released tomorrow with all the old Team Meat games. $4 I believe, plus they mentioned a discount of some sort for loyal fans.

Edit: I'm about to ignore all this greenlight stuff for now. There just too much to wade through right now and make honest decisions. They should have released maybe 20 a day for review or something. I'm sure it will slow down, or I hope at least, but right now there's too much.

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts RollingSkull.
When I posted the announcement trailer earlier in the month I was pretty excited about it. (still am, but will probably hold off on purchasing a bit since I have so many other games to play right now).

[quote name='imac2much']On a tangent, I recently finished Analogue: A Hate Story, which I got from the Getaway bundle.

[/QUOTE]

I'll disagree with you on this, in spoilers.
Cate Archer once said that the point of feminism was largely so little girls could grow up to be whatever they pleased. I hardly think either "girl" (Such that AIs can have genders.) was really out of line with the theme of the game. Hyun-ae WANTED to dress up because it was cute and girly. There's nothing wrong with that. Plus, emotionally, mentally, she never progressed too far beyond the age of 14. What else should a woman do but what she likes to, even if it is something she feels silly doing?

Besides, I think the more important aspect of the story wasn't women empowerment or misogyny. The analogs to anything today are laughable on the face. Where the story works is in how each character participates, is driven by, and propagates this wholly alien culture to our sensibilities. I mean, to Hyun-ae's adopted parents, they had NO CHOICE. There was no stand athwart history and yell STOP I MUST SAVE THE WOMEN choice to be made at any point that wouldn't be hilariously suicidal.

Yeah, the romance was sappy. I cracked up at the "hand to monitor" ending screen. But you also gotta remember the author is a lesbian VN-writing geek so I expect her to think in those sorts of tropes.

[quote name='Preedatore']Speaking of Meat Boy...the Basement Bundle should be released tomorrow with all the old Team Meat games. $4 I believe, plus they mentioned a discount of some sort for loyal fans.
[/QUOTE]

Could not possibly care less about that. Every bit of love I had for Meat Boy was squandered by the PC port follies, price drops, and Binding of Isaac. Pretty sure I do NOT need to pay for old free Newgrounds Flash games. Hell, Crate Box came free

[quote name='RollingSkull']Could not possibly care less about that. Every bit of love I had for Meat Boy was squandered by the PC port follies, price drops, and Binding of Isaac. Pretty sure I do NOT need to pay for old free Newgrounds Flash games. Hell, Crate Box came free[/QUOTE]

But...but...it has achievements...

[quote name='Draekon']I wonder how many aren't posted by the games developers, such as this one:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92935567&searchtext=

And then later posted by the games developer:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92962826&searchtext=[/QUOTE]
Hopefully these are kinks that'll get ironed out, but yes it's bloody annoying. I've spent the last 30 minutes or so just poking around for something different and it's amazing how much dross has been submitted (with or without permission).

Didgery caught my eye though, looked interesting. Also upvoted Towns, Project Zomboid, and Towing Simulator.

columbo%2B1.jpg

Just one more thing (which isn't in any way related to my previous post), I think Gotham City Imposters is going Free-To-Play. I'm a bit annoyed having actually paid for it but I've had my fun I guess. It's a nice take on the "team deathmatch shoot stuff" genre, hopefully going free will make the match-making a little more frequent.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I'll disagree with you on this, in spoilers.
Cate Archer once said that the point of feminism was largely so little girls could grow up to be whatever they pleased. I hardly think either "girl" (Such that AIs can have genders.) was really out of line with the theme of the game. Hyun-ae WANTED to dress up because it was cute and girly. There's nothing wrong with that. Plus, emotionally, mentally, she never progressed too far beyond the age of 14. What else should a woman do but what she likes to, even if it is something she feels silly doing?

Besides, I think the more important aspect of the story wasn't women empowerment or misogyny. The analogs to anything today are laughable on the face. Where the story works is in how each character participates, is driven by, and propagates this wholly alien culture to our sensibilities. I mean, to Hyun-ae's adopted parents, they had NO CHOICE. There was no stand athwart history and yell STOP I MUST SAVE THE WOMEN choice to be made at any point that wouldn't be hilariously suicidal.

Yeah, the romance was sappy. I cracked up at the "hand to monitor" ending screen. But you also gotta remember the author is a lesbian VN-writing geek so I expect her to think in those sorts of tropes.
[/QUOTE]

Great points RS!
While I don't agree with every single one of your points, I do totally understand where you're coming from and must concede that Hyun-Ae, at least, does pretty much act in the way she wants to (with cosplay, etc). However, I guess it's just the cynical or jaded side of me that feels that it's just a bit too convenient from a player-game perspective that the two AI's fulfill the role of anime tropes so easily (you have maid/servant, tsundere and even a slight catgirl fetish thrown in for good measure). I guess I may be mistaken in discerning what the "point" of the game's story was, but I do feel that the romance felt unnecessary ... especially the "harem" ending (but maybe that one is more of an easter egg because I would not have figured out how to achieve it without looking online). I felt the game would have been better and less sappy/cliche without these elements, because I honestly did enjoy the character "arcs" as you see how people progress throughout the years.

Either way, I'm still looking forward to see what the Hate Plus DLC will bring, though probably with not as much anticipation as I originally had for Analogue itself.

[quote name='Flowette']
Just one more thing (which isn't in any way related to my previous post), I think Gotham City Imposters is going Free-To-Play. I'm a bit annoyed having actually paid for it but I've had my fun I guess. It's a nice take on the "team deathmatch shoot stuff" genre, hopefully going free will make the match-making a little more frequent.[/QUOTE]

ahh crap. I've really gotta get rid of my tradable batman franchise now. Thanks for the heads up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back