The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V5! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

This is a Wiki post. Please read this
We appreciate you helping keep this thread up to date. The sales change virtually every day so no one person has the time to update them all. If you notice a game is no longer on sale, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see a game is on sale, add it to the list. Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.
for instructions on updating the thread.

Steam Games and DLC on Sale - Updated 12/16

Daily Deal(s)

Midweek Madness Deal(s) Weekend Deal(s)

Other Deals

Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 9/23

Amazon
  • Amazon - Preorders

• Amazon - Current Deals

GamersGate

Greenman Gaming

Preorder Deals - Updated 10/28
Group Buys - Updated 8/14

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff - Updated 4/3

There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card.
The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Which retail CD Keys are accepted on Steam?

All retail Valve games and a number of third-party games can be registered to your Steam account. All of the following games can be registered through Steam:
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: ####-#####-####
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • AI War CD Keys in various formats
  • Aliens vs. Predator (2010 Release) CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Alpha Prime CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Audiosurf CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • BRINK CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is not accepted on Steam
  • Cities in Motion CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Civilization V CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Cricket Revolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys may also have been printed incorrectly, please see the Dark Messiah article
  • Darksiders CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: The number 2 and letter Z may look very similar.
  • Dawn of War II CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dawn of War II - Retribution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Defense Grid CD Keys in this format (Direct2Drive only): 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Duke Nukem Forever CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Empire: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-DDEFGH3-IJK4L-MNOPQ-RST56
  • F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • F.E.A.R. 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Fallout: New Vegas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2010 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2011 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Front Mission Evolved CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Global Agenda CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Keys purchased directly from the Global Agenda website cannot be registered on Steam.
  • GTI Racing CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • GTR Evolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Homefront CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Humble Indie Bundle in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 2 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 3 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Just Cause 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Please input all O's and 0's as Q's for Just Cause 2
  • Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Killing Floor CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lara Croft Guardian of Light CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Last Remnant CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lionheart: Kings' Crusade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Extreme Condition CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Colonies Edition CD Keys are not accepted on Steam
  • Mafia 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Magicka CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Metro 2033 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • MLB Front Office Manager CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: Warband CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • NBA 2K9 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Napoleon: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Order of War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Prey CD Keys in this format: AAB1BB2C345CDD6E E7
  • R.U.S.E. CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: R.U.S.E. keys from Ubisoft's Digital River service are not accepted on Steam
  • RACE - the WTCC Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • RACE 07 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ragdoll Kung Fu CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Railworks CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Red Orchestra CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Rogue Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • SiN Episodes: Emergence CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Saint's Row 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Serious Sam HD CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Shattered Horizon CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Ship CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ship Simulator Extremes CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Silent Hill Homecoming CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Sniper: Ghost Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Space Trader CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Speedball 2 - Tournament in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Star Trek: D-A-C CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • STCC - The Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Super Meat Boy CD keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Supreme Commander 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Torchlight CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Note: Only keys purchased directly from Runic Games or Perfect World prior to May 19th, 2010 can be registered on Steam.
  • Total War: SHOGUN 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Unreal Tournament 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2-3FGH-456I-K8LM
  • Velvet Assassin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings in this format: AB-1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM
  • Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • X3: Terran Conflict CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Zeno Clash CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
Opposing Force CD-keys cannot be registered through Steam. Opposing Force was included in a retail Half-Life package. The Half-Life CD-key included in the package will unlock all of the games in that package, including Opposing Force.
Note: Only the retail games listed above can be registered through Steam. No other retail games can be registered and downloaded using Steam.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

The Ball (bought @D2D and tested by voken)
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon and tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='atreyuevr']If you're gonna get it (speaking generally), go for the 4-pack which is not only cheaper per slot ($2.81), but each copy also includes all of the DLC for the game.[/QUOTE]

Just saw that. Quite strange to see all the dlc free with the 4 pack.

S8:p was a fun game that got dragged down by GFWL and my inability to stay connected to anything for more than 10 minutes*. Only thing I could do was play the campaign, which was surprisingly competent for a MP based shooter.

*GFWL experience will vary depending on how it feels today.

[quote name='louiedog']Edge, Osmos, Anomaly Warzone Earth, and World of Goo were added to the Humble Android Bundle 3. If you already bought it and someone don't already have them from bundles, they should show up in your Steam library soon. You may need to restart.

If you haven't purchased the bundle yet you'll need to beat the average to get them.[/QUOTE]

It's actually a separate key on the site, so you'll have to grab it and activate it on Steam manually. ;)

[quote name='louiedog']Edge, Osmos, Anomaly Warzone Earth, and World of Goo were added to the Humble Android Bundle 3. If you already bought it and someone don't already have them from bundles, they should show up in your Steam library soon. You may need to restart.

If you haven't purchased the bundle yet you'll need to beat the average to get them.[/QUOTE]

Actually, you get a separate unified key for the bonus games. So you'll need to check your download page to get the key.

EDIT: Ninja'd by atreyuevr

[quote name='atreyuevr']It's actually a separate key on the site, so you'll have to grab it and activate it on Steam manually. ;)[/QUOTE]

Ah, sorry. Posted on mobile and didn't follow through to my key page. I should have realized though since they are beat the average now.

Gah, I knew I should have bought the bundle yesterday (would have saved @$1.50 - oh well). I have been wanting Anomaly for a while now & missed it in past bundles.
I'm also interested in EDGE and would like World of Goo on Android (had it on my old iphone and have been missing it since I switched).
Additionally, now I guess I get to try out uplink as well.
It's odd that I am more interested in the additional games than I was in the initial bundle (I had fieldrunners already and only had a minor interest in uplink and spirits).

[quote name='sunghost']For anyone interested in Grey Matter, I think it's this game: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/467236

It's not the adventure game called Gray Matter published by Viva Media. I was confused about that at first, so I just wanted to clarify in case anyone else thinks the same thing I did.[/QUOTE]

I went through the exact same thing and was going to post a similar warning.

Ok SteamCAG, I need opinions. I'm debating between the MSI GTX 670 PE 2GD5/OC (~$415) and the Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Ed. (~$480). My current 5770 has done well, but it has one seriously annoying flaw that I'm terrified I'll run into on the 7970: stuttering/judder in fullscreen. The FPS will be rocksteady according to every counter I throw at it, but there's a noticeable (to me) stutter in many games at fullscreen. Windowed mode, it goes away.

But the 7970 has some crazy horsepower, and some benches give it a 20 (!) FPS lead over the 670 in Skyrim. But the reverse (to a lesser degree) could be the case in Battlefield 3. I want to play both much more.

My goal is 1080p60fpsUltra. I may, eventually, get a 1440p display. Maybe. And I burden Skyrim with a metric (not Imperial!) assload of HD texture mods, so the 2GB VRAM of the 670 seems a little small.

What say ye, wise and wonderful PC brethren?

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Ok SteamCAG, I need opinions. I'm debating between the MSI GTX 670 PE 2GD5/OC (~$415) and the Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Ed. (~$480). My current 5770 has done well, but it has one seriously annoying flaw that I'm terrified I'll run into on the 7970: stuttering/judder in fullscreen. The FPS will be rocksteady according to every counter I throw at it, but there's a noticeable (to me) stutter in many games at fullscreen. Windowed mode, it goes away.

But the 7970 has some crazy horsepower, and some benches give it a 20 (!) FPS lead over the 670 in Skyrim. But the reverse (to a lesser degree) could be the case in Battlefield 3. I want to play both much more.

My goal is 1080p60fpsUltra. I may, eventually, get a 1440p display. Maybe. And I burden Skyrim with a metric (not Imperial!) amount of HD testure mods, so the 2GB VRAM of the 670 seems a little small.

What say ye, wise and wonderful PC brethren?[/QUOTE]

I have a 7970, and I regret buying it over nvidia. Get the 670. AMD's drivers suck, and the slight performance boosts you may get in a couple games isn't worth the hassle you'll have with the majority of games with the 7970. Many games are poorly optimized and work much better on nvidia GPUs.

Personally, if I had the money to spend at the moment, I would be going with the GTX670 as well. I used to love ATI, but as sunghost says AMD hasn't been top of their game with the drivers IMHO.

Why does everyone hate the Indie Face Kick guys everywhere I go on the internet? It's rare to see such unanimous hatred. Did I miss something and they're actually douchebags? That bundle is hot garbage though, I'll give you that.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Ok SteamCAG, I need opinions. I'm debating between the MSI GTX 670 PE 2GD5/OC (~$415) and the Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Ed. (~$480). My current 5770 has done well, but it has one seriously annoying flaw that I'm terrified I'll run into on the 7970: stuttering/judder in fullscreen. The FPS will be rocksteady according to every counter I throw at it, but there's a noticeable (to me) stutter in many games at fullscreen. Windowed mode, it goes away.

My goal is 1080p60fpsUltra. I may, eventually, get a 1440p display. Maybe. And I burden Skyrim with a metric (not Imperial!) assload of HD texture mods, so the 2GB VRAM of the 670 seems a little small.

I just bought a Gigabyte gtx 670 Windforce 2 and can recommend it. Cool and quiet card. Buy a 670.

[quote name='sunghost']I have a 7970, and I regret buying it over nvidia. Get the 670. AMD's drivers suck, and the slight performance boosts you may get in a couple games isn't worth the hassle you'll have with the majority of games with the 7970. Many games are poorly optimized and work much better on nvidia GPUs.[/QUOTE]
Your argument is pretty persuasive, and the worry about drivers is what's making this decision hard. I've read the 12.7 drivers were really good, but is it a risk I wanna take? Ugh. I'm super afraid of getting buyer's remorse no matter what I buy since the investment is so large.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']My entire gaming rig cost less than your card :([/QUOTE]
Don't worry, I'm sure these grapes are sour anyways.
I'm treating myself since I finally have money I can spend. But honestly, it's awesome you have a gaming rig for that budget! $500 can buy a very capable rig nowadays.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']My goal is 1080p60fpsUltra. I may, eventually, get a 1440p display. Maybe. And I burden Skyrim with a metric (not Imperial!) assload of HD texture mods, so the 2GB VRAM of the 670 seems a little small.

I've been doing research the past few weeks on this, since I'm in a similar situation of possibly wanting a 1600 monitor.

I didn't bother with AMD because I run Linux, so Nvidia is my only choice.

I ultimately decided on a 660 Ti, because I think I'd rather use 16:9 1080p resolution with 2ms response time, like the monitor I have now, so the smaller memory bus is not an issue. Then do an SLI in a year or so if I need to.

So for you, since you are thinking about 1440 monitors, a 660 Ti will not suit you. However, the 670 does. And frankly, you'd want better performance on BF3 compared to Skyrim, since the former is obviously multiplayer, so the increased performance will benefit more.

And you get Borderlands 2 with the 670.

I'm in a similar boat as you, except already with the 1440p monitor and disappointed that my 560Ti isn't maxing everything anymore. I ended up deciding on the 670 which I plan to get around Black Friday, mostly due to driver issues. If you recall AMD/ATi also had massive issues with a couple of OpenGL releases in the past year or so with RAGE and Brink. Admittedly not the best games, but a recurring issue is something I don't want to deal with if a game that I'm really interested in decides to use OpenGL as its renderer. For some odd reason, the synthetic benchmark used at www.videocardbenchmark.net places the 670 as the tpo card right now -- higher than even the 680 and 690. If the 2GB of memory is an issue for you, look into the 4GB version for about the same price as a 7970 and sell Borderlands 2 if you aren't interested to knock the price down a bit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130785
[quote name='vince_carter']Why does everyone hate the Indie Face Kick guys everywhere I go on the internet? It's rare to see such unanimous hatred. Did I miss something and they're actually douchebags? That bundle is hot garbage though, I'll give you that.[/QUOTE]
They reek of unprofessionalism. From the article linked earlier, to their promoting of grey market key dealers, to how they conduct themselves on Steam and don't seem to care what potential buyers think, to their awful website design. Pretty much the blueprint for how not to run a website that expects people to give them money.

I'm confused why people complain about lack of driver support for the ATI 7xxxx series. I seem to be getting updates every month, and they fix issues (such as some D3 stuttering problems) and have overall improved performance.

I'm not quite in the same ballpark as you all (I have a 7850), but I'm still able to run Sleeping Dogs at 1440p resolution with high settings and high texture packs except normal AA (which doesn't seem that necessary at this resolution) with a smooth 60fps. I have no qualms of this card, especially since it overclocks so easily.

However, I do admit if I had a choice now, I'd probably bite on 660 ti just because the inclusion of Borderlands 2 makes it a similar price proposition as my 7850, haha. I just don't think driver support is a problem I've experienced with ATI cards... then again, I haven't had a geforce in a decade so maybe they update their drivers more often.

I can't believe I own every single one of the games in this bundle except for Spirits. My "very first Steam sale" anniversary is coming up soon so I guess a year has been enough time to collect many games. It has not been nearly enough time to play them though.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']My entire gaming rig cost less than your card :([/QUOTE]
But it handles Summer Games II, Archon and the Movie Monster Game like a beast!

What forum do I go to so I can get in on S8:p 4-pack. I've never had issues with GFWL, so I'm not butthurt about it and getting it and the DLC for less than 3 bucks is too good a deal to pass up.

[quote name='cycophuk']What forum do I go to so I can get in on S8:p 4-pack. I've never had issues with GFWL, so I'm not butthurt about it and getting it and the DLC for less than 3 bucks is too good a deal to pass up.[/QUOTE]

This is the thread you're looking for.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Your argument is pretty persuasive, and the worry about drivers is what's making this decision hard. I've read the 12.7 drivers were really good, but is it a risk I wanna take? Ugh. I'm super afraid of getting buyer's remorse no matter what I buy since the investment is so large.

[/QUOTE]
AMD drivers do not suck; as far as I can tell that's just one of those things that people repeat because they heard other people say it. There's no basis behind it.

[quote name='Englando IV']AMD drivers do not suck; as far as I can tell that's just one of those things that people repeat because they heard other people say it. There's no basis behind it.[/QUOTE]
IIRC, Crossfire had negative performance scaling at launch in Skyrim. As a current AMD owner, yes, the drivers are not especially great. One of the last updates I installed would identify itself as a version 8 or so revisions back, so it would bug me to update every time I started Windows.

But the crazy OC headroom of the 7970 is tempting. I've never dabbled with OCing before, but it's mighty tempting to start.

[quote name='Englando IV']AMD drivers do not suck; as far as I can tell that's just one of those things that people repeat because they heard other people say it. There's no basis behind it.[/QUOTE]

Maybe its just the fact that Nvidia is more of a standard but AMD cards tend to have more sporadic driver related issues. Many games dont work at launch until drivers are updated etc. Sometimes drivers are updated and games get broken etc. It might well be that game designers have a tendency to design around Nvidia but it is definitely one of the biggest negatives against ATI.

[quote name='pROvIs']Maybe its just the fact that Nvidia is more of a standard but AMD cards tend to have more sporadic driver related issues. Many games dont work at launch until drivers are updated etc. Sometimes drivers are updated and games get broken etc. It might well be that game designers have a tendency to design around Nvidia but it is definitely one of the biggest negatives against ATI.[/QUOTE]

That's a good point. I did have trouble with a few games until the driver updates fixed framerate hiccups or random boot to windows (such as D3).

From the reviews I've read on Tom's hardware though, the 7xxx series seem to have more OC potential at standard voltage than the GTX 6xx series, though I may be completely mistaken. I've OC'ed my 7850 to 1050/1450 very easily at standard voltage and with minimal (2-3deg) temp increase at load. Most of the similar OC stories I've seen for 660ti and 670 seem to require voltage increase, but I may just be reading the wrong reviews. :)

Its not really that one is better than another as they go back and forth. It just depends on what gives you better bang for your buck at that price point. Nvidia for me is kind of a tried and true and I have generally had less issues with their cards. They also for many years had much much better linux support. Nowaday I don't know if ATI/AMD are any better.

[quote name='Idiotekque']While we're on the subject of video cards, what would be the best choice in an Alienware M18?[/QUOTE]

For half the price of that laptop you can build a pretty substantial desktop that will be upgradeable for the future. With half of the other half of the money you can buy a solid laptop that can play plenty of good games on the go. Then you can put the rest of that money away for games/upgrades.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']My current 5770 has done well, but it has one seriously annoying flaw that I'm terrified I'll run into on the 7970: stuttering/judder in fullscreen. The FPS will be rocksteady according to every counter I throw at it, but there's a noticeable (to me) stutter in many games at fullscreen. Windowed mode, it goes away.
[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity (and apologies if this seems patronizing since no one else asked), do you use Vsync in games? I remember that in Saints Row: The Third for example I had ridiculously bad tearing after switching to full screen mode before remembering to turn Vsync on in the settings (which I hadn't switched on from the start because I'd been playing it exclusively in windowed mode).

Alternatively, have you tried "forcing Vsync" in the Vision Engine Control Center (actual option is "wait for vertical refresh" with the slider all the way to the right)? If not it could solve the problem in some games that for whatever reason don't have a Vsync option in their settings (setting triple buffering might help as well), and if you have it might actually be the problem. Too many signals crossed and whatnot, particularly with games that run Vsync by default in full screen mode (probably not all that common for this very reason).

Just to throw this out there for anybody else following along at home who isn't quite sure what I'm talking about here (google can help), as long as you've got the hardware (ie: not Intel HD 2/3/4000 integrated graphics, any GPU over $100 can cover you here) Vsync is your friend in full screen mode, and if for whatever reason you still suffer tearing (look it up on wikipedia, you'll recognize it right away) try to stick to windowed mode. Most games with a decent budget (eg: the aforementioned Saints Row: The Third) will let you set a resolution which is just slightly shorter than your monitor's actual one so the bottom of the screen doesn't get cut off by the task bar.

[quote name='hal']I have FFT on my shelf. Great game and I've played it many times! I can't say that I've tried Jade Cocoon. The PS was a great console and I hope mine hangs around for a long long time.[/QUOTE]

I agree the PS was such a great console even though a lot of the games I ended up playing were on those little demo disks Official PlayStation Magazine had. If you have any interest Jade Cocoon may be worth tracking down one day still a very cheap game.

[quote name='TheLongshot']
And I have FFT on my PSP. Played for a bit, but got my ass handed to me by archers.[/QUOTE]
Ya Archers were annoying more so when they started above you so just running to them was like a Benny Hill sketch as they ran away from your little guy running at them.

[quote name='Dr Sasquatch']Agreed 100% on Final Fantasy Tactics. That is my number one Playstation game hands down. I will have to give Jade Cocoon a try. I bought it the day it came out, and it is still in my backlog. Woo![/QUOTE]
That is a really old backlog and just to make you feel older I was like in 3rd grade when I got Jade Cocoon and not even sure that was the launch was just a random game I selected in the store :cool: But yes, You need to play it, I mean you already have it might as well play the super awesome game

[quote name='utopianmachine']Hubby and I just played an hour or so of Lord of the Rings: War in the North. [/QUOTE]

Is the game spilt-screen locally off of the same PC?

[quote name='krevee']Two great ones IMO, FFT was the first game I bought for the Playstation. I still play it every once and a while now. I never owned Jade Cocoon but my best friend at the time did, and I used to play it a lot. I wouldn't say its one of my top games from that era, but I did enjoy the game. And honestly I am a bit surprised to see anyone else who knows of it, cause it didn't seem very popular then or now looking back.[/QUOTE]

It is ok I think I am one of 10 that actively played and loved Jade Cocoon then again I never really liked Final Fantasy or any of the other RPG's on PS because they always seemed so complex when I was like 12. But Jade Cocoon has that kind of simple short dialogue but that also happens to be deep too. So was easier to kind of understand what was going on.

Another criminally underrated game that was on PS is Shadow Madness, Infact I do not think I have ever heard anyone talk about that game.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Oh gosh, that's probably my first or second favorite game of all time. I have put so many hours into that game, and started so many games on it that I can't even hazard a guess. I only beat one save though, and actually did everything (finding every item in Deep Dungeon... oh god).

That rooftop mission is ridiculous though, you're right. I got stuck there and probably stopped playing the game for 6 months. The only way I got past it was investing in Flare on my wizard. All you have to do is put one enemy (Celia or Lede or the other guy) into critical status to complete the mission, IIRC. Flare is a really powerful, one-hit-kill kind of spell, so it did the trick for me.

You should give it another try!

Y'know, I had the game at one point, but I ended up selling it. It seemed interesting, but the tank style movement turned me off. The voice overs were a very nice touch though; I didn't give the game enough of a chance.
[/QUOTE]

Ya one day I am coming back and destroying that roof top, The main problem was it was the furthest I ever got in the game and assumed after the two battles with Wiegraf surely this had to be the end....But then bam forced rescue mission with noone cable of beating it. :sad:

But during this upcoming summer, I will lead Coco the Chocobo to victory!

Well the tank control is really the only problem I can see modern gamers having when going back or trying it now days but everything else should be fine. Then again been many years since i've played the game. I should go back to it again one year. :lol:

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Yup. That's pretty much what I did.

I never actually beat the game. I was woefully outmatched in a late battle that I couldn't exit out of, and I had no save that I could take a step back to. Still, I played a crapton of it.
[/QUOTE]

Ya FFT is such a unforgiving mistress and it was during a time I didn't have like gamefaq's readily on hand so there was really no way to know rather this "save" is a good one to save at or a evil trap. Plus when you come back to the game you always have to start at the beginning :hot:

So each time I try to get past my previous point I end up distracted by some other game half way though, then when I do come back I forget everything and restart the game, cause I mean leveling up your little people is half the fun.

Evil Jrpg's they are the worst game to come back half way though after a long break

[quote name='asheskitty']I was approached my a few men on my way home; I feared the worst. They made me buy the Indie Face Kick Bundle. I would get rid of it and put it on steamgifts, but the authorities say I can't and that I wouldn't have it if I didn't want it "because the female body rejects 'legitimate bundles.'"[/QUOTE]

:applause:

I know a place from a friend of a friend with people who can help you...but it is not exactly on the up and up.

Hackers%252C_1995%252C_Jonny_Lee_Miller%252C_Angelina_Jolie.jpg

Also does anyone have any thoughts on this Bitcomposer/Viva bundle?

Argh, was just about all set on the GTX670 but I keep reading how much OC headroom there is on the 7970, and how vital the extra VRAM will be for newer games to come out (and for Skyrim HD mods. I am a huge mod nut for that game, and am right at the VRAM limit on my 5770, and that's with using mid-tier quality on some mods to keep the size down.)

Man, fuck this shit. I ain't made for making decisions involving money in the triple-digit range. :cry:

[quote name='redividedbyd']Just out of curiosity (and apologies if this seems patronizing since no one else asked), do you use Vsync in games? I remember that in Saints Row: The Third for example I had ridiculously bad tearing after switching to full screen mode before remembering to turn Vsync on in the settings (which I hadn't switched on from the start because I'd been playing it exclusively in windowed mode).

Alternatively, have you tried "forcing Vsync" in the Vision Engine Control Center (actual option is "wait for vertical refresh" with the slider all the way to the right)? If not it could solve the problem in some games that for whatever reason don't have a Vsync option in their settings (setting triple buffering might help as well), and if you have it might actually be the problem. Too many signals crossed and whatnot, particularly with games that run Vsync by default in full screen mode (probably not all that common for this very reason). [/QUOTE]
Yep, I force Vsync and triple buffering through D3DOverrider on most every game. It happened regardless of anything I tried. I broke down and now use a mod that runs it in windowed and expands it out to a fake fullscreen.

[quote name='Preedatore']For half the price of that laptop you can build a pretty substantial desktop that will be upgradeable for the future. With half of the other half of the money you can buy a solid laptop that can play plenty of good games on the go. Then you can put the rest of that money away for games/upgrades.[/QUOTE]
Sorry, that doesn't help me out. I know how much cheaper it would be to build a desktop, but I need to be mobile. I'm asking about a laptop, the Alienware M18.

[quote name='Sophita']Well the tank control is really the only problem I can see modern gamers having when going back or trying it now days but everything else should be fine. Then again been many years since i've played the game. I should go back to it again one year. :lol:[/QUOTE]
I actually have no problem with tank controls most of the time, but only when they fit the game. For example, the old Resident Evils are perfect with tank controls; I couldn't play them without tank controls. But when it comes to RPGs, I really can't see it as a good fit. Chrono Cross is probably my favorite RPG of the style it is, and seeing its similarities to Jade Cocoon (just in graphics, etc), it worked amazingly without tank controls. I'm still not sure why Jade Cocoon was made with tank controls.

That said, it's a pretty minor complaint. I will still have to give the game a try one of these days, control qualms aside.

[quote name='Idiotekque']While we're on the subject of video cards, what would be the best choice in an Alienware M18?[/QUOTE]

Instead of Alienware may I suggest checking out http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php
They use the same hardware and allow you to customize it as well. They are much cheaper, the only difference is it wont be all flashy like the Alienware.

I've bought from them in the past and my friend has ordered 2 laptops from them as well (one not long ago) and never had a problem with them either.

[quote name='KaOTiK']Instead of Alienware may I suggest checking out http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php
They use the same hardware and allow you to customize it as well. They are much cheaper, the only difference is it wont be all flashy like the Alienware.

I've bought from them in the past and my friend has ordered 2 laptops from them as well (one not long ago) and never had a problem with them either.[/QUOTE]

Id probably go with them if they offered financing....thats why I got an Alienware before...0% financing

[quote name='Preedatore']For half the price of that laptop you can build a pretty substantial desktop that will be upgradeable for the future. With half of the other half of the money you can buy a solid laptop that can play plenty of good games on the go. Then you can put the rest of that money away for games/upgrades.[/QUOTE]

Not to be snarky, but he is 100% right, save the money and don't get an Alienware you are just paying a lot extra for the brand. If you need a laptop look elsewhere.

[quote name='KaOTiK']Instead of Alienware may I suggest checking out http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php

I've bought from them in the past and my friend has ordered 2 laptops from them as well (one not long ago) and never had a problem with them either.[/QUOTE]
I've never heard of them, and one of the reasons I'm probably going with Alienware is because I only hear good things about them (especially from a tech wiz friend of mine), and I think they offer pretty good support. They're expensive, but they're supposed to be quality machines. I hear good about Asus too, so I'm not totally set on AW.

My question was what VIDEO CARD would be good in an Alienware M18, not what other brand I should buy instead. >.>

I may finally buy my first ever indie bundle... i dont have any of these games yet so good buy for sure. plus it helps me cut down on entries i enter in steamgifts for some of these games.

Btw, out of all the bundles, Humble Bundles are the only ones that accept amazon payments right? They should include amazon payments on the other indie bundle sites... instead of just paypal to attract more people like myself that dont have paypal. hehe!

Just trying to save you a ton of cash for nearly the same thing by a very reputable company that has been doing this for quite sometime now.

The other thing you always hear when you hear Alienwares are good is that they are also a total ripoff as well.

Should we be guessing what video cards are offered, or were you going to give us a list of choices? Alienware is overpriced for what you get and I'm surprised someone who is considered a "tech wiz" would recommend them.

Also, the midweek bundle is a pile of hot garbage and at least two of the titles have bene in bundles. I'd wait until Stalker and anything else you'd want it for go on individual sale.

[quote name='KaOTiK']Just trying to save you a ton of cash for nearly the same thing by a very reputable company that has been doing this for quite sometime now.

The other thing you always hear when you hear Alienwares are good is that they are also a total ripoff as well.[/QUOTE]
Oh of course, I get where you're coming from. Like I said, I may not necessarily go with AW in the end, but I'm going to have enough money on my hands to actually splurge and buy a nice, quality machine that shouldn't just randomly break like my previous ones have here and there. I mean, it's still Windows, but I'm willing to spend more for quality construction, a strong reputation, and good support. For example, Dell has great support, but their machines blow chunks. Alienware is really high end Dell, so ironically that's a plus in my book as far as the support angle goes.

This has gotten derailed though, so I'll ask my original question in a simpler way:

What would the smartest choice for a VIDEO CARD in a brand new, sparkly laptop be?

[quote name='Genocidal']Alienware is overpriced for what you get and I'm surprised someone who is considered a "tech wiz" would recommend them.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly.

[quote name='Idiotekque']I've never heard of them, and one of the reasons I'm probably going with Alienware is because I only hear good things about them (especially from a tech wiz friend of mine), and I think they offer pretty good support. They're expensive, but they're supposed to be quality machines. I hear good about Asus too, so I'm not totally set on AW.

My question was what VIDEO CARD would be good in an Alienware M18, not what other brand I should buy instead. >.>[/QUOTE]

Looking at it as if I couldn't care less about money, for a mere $550 more, the 7970m alone provides more than double the performance of the 660m, let alone dual in xfire mode. We understand you want to be mobile, but the cost of what you are looking at has no justification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back