The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V5! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

This is a Wiki post. Please read this
We appreciate you helping keep this thread up to date. The sales change virtually every day so no one person has the time to update them all. If you notice a game is no longer on sale, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see a game is on sale, add it to the list. Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.
for instructions on updating the thread.

Steam Games and DLC on Sale - Updated 12/16

Daily Deal(s)

Midweek Madness Deal(s) Weekend Deal(s)

Other Deals

Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 9/23

Amazon
  • Amazon - Preorders

• Amazon - Current Deals

GamersGate

Greenman Gaming

Preorder Deals - Updated 10/28
Group Buys - Updated 8/14

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff - Updated 4/3

There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card.
The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Which retail CD Keys are accepted on Steam?

All retail Valve games and a number of third-party games can be registered to your Steam account. All of the following games can be registered through Steam:
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: ####-#####-####
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • AI War CD Keys in various formats
  • Aliens vs. Predator (2010 Release) CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Alpha Prime CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Audiosurf CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • BRINK CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is not accepted on Steam
  • Cities in Motion CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Civilization V CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Cricket Revolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys may also have been printed incorrectly, please see the Dark Messiah article
  • Darksiders CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: The number 2 and letter Z may look very similar.
  • Dawn of War II CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dawn of War II - Retribution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Defense Grid CD Keys in this format (Direct2Drive only): 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Duke Nukem Forever CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Empire: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-DDEFGH3-IJK4L-MNOPQ-RST56
  • F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • F.E.A.R. 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Fallout: New Vegas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2010 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2011 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Front Mission Evolved CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Global Agenda CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Keys purchased directly from the Global Agenda website cannot be registered on Steam.
  • GTI Racing CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • GTR Evolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Homefront CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Humble Indie Bundle in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 2 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 3 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Just Cause 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Please input all O's and 0's as Q's for Just Cause 2
  • Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Killing Floor CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lara Croft Guardian of Light CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Last Remnant CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lionheart: Kings' Crusade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Extreme Condition CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Colonies Edition CD Keys are not accepted on Steam
  • Mafia 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Magicka CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Metro 2033 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • MLB Front Office Manager CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: Warband CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • NBA 2K9 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Napoleon: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Order of War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Prey CD Keys in this format: AAB1BB2C345CDD6E E7
  • R.U.S.E. CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: R.U.S.E. keys from Ubisoft's Digital River service are not accepted on Steam
  • RACE - the WTCC Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • RACE 07 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ragdoll Kung Fu CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Railworks CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Red Orchestra CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Rogue Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • SiN Episodes: Emergence CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Saint's Row 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Serious Sam HD CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Shattered Horizon CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Ship CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ship Simulator Extremes CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Silent Hill Homecoming CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Sniper: Ghost Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Space Trader CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Speedball 2 - Tournament in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Star Trek: D-A-C CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • STCC - The Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Super Meat Boy CD keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Supreme Commander 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Torchlight CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Note: Only keys purchased directly from Runic Games or Perfect World prior to May 19th, 2010 can be registered on Steam.
  • Total War: SHOGUN 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Unreal Tournament 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2-3FGH-456I-K8LM
  • Velvet Assassin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings in this format: AB-1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM
  • Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • X3: Terran Conflict CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Zeno Clash CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
Opposing Force CD-keys cannot be registered through Steam. Opposing Force was included in a retail Half-Life package. The Half-Life CD-key included in the package will unlock all of the games in that package, including Opposing Force.
Note: Only the retail games listed above can be registered through Steam. No other retail games can be registered and downloaded using Steam.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

The Ball (bought @D2D and tested by voken)
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon and tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Where can I get that Borderlands 2 season pass deal, is it still available anywhere? Damn, guess I missed it.[/QUOTE]

No, Steam fixed the price.

[quote name='HuntingNoob']No, Steam fixed the price.[/QUOTE]

Man if I lived in Russia or even the UK I'd have bought sooo many of those things for my CAG homeboys. :/

These are just my sentiments towards DLC in general, but I find it a little ridiculous that a game hasn't even come out yet and people are already scrambling to spend more money on DLC that isn't out yet. It's like we're just conceding that companies can sell us incomplete games and then nickel and dime us with the missing bits...

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']These are just my sentiments towards DLC in general, but I find it a little ridiculous that a game hasn't even come out yet and people are already scrambling to spend more money on DLC that isn't out yet. It's like we're just conceding that companies can sell us incomplete games and then nickel and dime us with the missing bits...[/QUOTE]

I agree completely, but it was available for 60-80% off last night. That's a bet I was willing to take (and scramble for ;)).. At $30? No way..

$17 seems iffy to me, but I expect I will put in 500+ hours into BL2 so if season passes never go on sale I'll probably jump on it.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']These are just my sentiments towards DLC in general, but I find it a little ridiculous that a game hasn't even come out yet and people are already scrambling to spend more money on DLC that isn't out yet. It's like we're just conceding that companies can sell us incomplete games and then nickel and dime us with the missing bits...[/QUOTE]

+1 I really hate the usual nickled & dimed feeling on DLC. It's something that often makes me wait for the GOTY.

Android wielding CAGs: Google Play End of Summer Sale -- $0.99 Max Payne Mobile, Spirits, NOVA 3, & more

I think $17 is decent for the season pass, highly doubt it will be that cheap in the winter sale but you never know with them, lol, I got the amazon 4-pack so $52 or so for the game and pass is not bad but with the sale you might get lower

Not all DLC is created equally. With Borderlands 2 you're getting 4 expansion packs, it's not like the useless crap that comes with games like Saints Row 3. Not to mention that it was a huge discount, and that most of us payed well below MSRP for the game itself anyway.

I actually like DLC and prepurchase offers from companies who have proven themselves to provide sizable and regular worthwhile updates. On the other hand, I'm never going to buy a season pass for a game like MW3 because the content is not equivalent to the amount you pay. $50 per year for some maps (most of which are probably not my kind of area anyway), "elite" status, and the pretended extension of le e-peen?

I'm not sure how many of you have tried Gearbox's past paid DLC. From my own personal experience and some research, I have yet to find a Gearbox DLC that didn't consist of a fairly substantial expansion (game modes, multiple maps/levels (usually combined with game modes and at reasonable prices), fairly lengthy campaigns, etc.) to the main game (disregarding one or two small pre-order bonuses that don't matter in the long run anyway).

When I look at the track record for DLC from a company, I'm looking for what I consider supplemental expansions that benefit the main game, but are not required to enjoy the main game; the base game must have been and felt like a complete experience. If a company has taken this approach in the past and they offer a fairly sizable discount for pre-purchasers, I'll jump on it. I want to support companies that do good business more than being a cheapo. Oh, I think I heard my (CPU) Cheapass Purchasing Unit explode just now.

[quote name='randomdud']
When I look at the track record for DLC from a company, I'm looking for what I consider supplemental expansions that benefit the main game, but are not required to enjoy the main game; the base game must have been and felt like a complete experience. If a company has taken this approach in the past and they offer a fairly sizable discount for pre-purchasers, I'll jump on it. I want to support companies that do good business more than being a cheapo. Oh, I think I heard my (CPU) Cheapass Purchasing Unit explode just now.[/QUOTE]

Excellent point! It's not like Gearbox is a subsidiary of Trendy or anything ;)
I just bought it for $17. Even if it's offered for 50% off during the winter sale I'm only losing $2. $2 is worth the peace of mind of not having to wish for a sale and day 1 access. So $53 for BL2 GOTY is not to shabby, but I prolly lost some CAG brownie points.

[quote name='Seraphym']Excellent point! It's not like Gearbox is a subsidiary of Trendy or anything ;)
I just bought it for $17. Even if it's offered for 50% off during the winter sale I'm only losing $2. $2 is worth the peace of mind of not having to wish for a sale and day 1 access. So $53 for BL2 GOTY is not to shabby, but I prolly lost some CAG brownie points.[/QUOTE]

Being a cag is about buying what you want, when you want it, at a price you are willing to pay. I gaurantee you will get more value on your borderlands 2 "goty" purchase than the guy that pays $10 in 3 years then tosses it in a backlog of 50 games.

[quote name='Seraphym']Excellent point! It's not like Gearbox is a subsidiary of Trendy or anything ;)
I just bought it for $17. Even if it's offered for 50% off during the winter sale I'm only losing $2. $2 is worth the peace of mind of not having to wish for a sale and day 1 access. So $53 for BL2 GOTY is not to shabby, but I prolly lost some CAG brownie points.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Preedatore']Being a cag is about buying what you want, when you want it, at a price you are willing to pay. I gaurantee you will get more value on your borderlands 2 "goty" purchase than the guy that pays $10 in 3 years then tosses it in a backlog of 50 games.[/QUOTE]

Well obviously anyone who actually plays and enjoys something is going to get more "value" than someone who pays for something and doesn't use it. My problem isn't with the price or value of anything or what "being a cag is about." My comments are about the concept of DLC.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Not all DLC is created equally. With Borderlands 2 you're getting 4 expansion packs, it's not like the useless crap that comes with games like Saints Row 3. Not to mention that it was a huge discount, and that most of us payed well below MSRP for the game itself anyway.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='randomdud']I actually like DLC and prepurchase offers from companies who have proven themselves to provide sizable and regular worthwhile updates. On the other hand, I'm never going to buy a season pass for a game like MW3 because the content is not equivalent to the amount you pay. $50 per year for some maps (most of which are probably not my kind of area anyway), "elite" status, and the pretended extension of le e-peen?

I'm not sure how many of you have tried Gearbox's past paid DLC. From my own personal experience and some research, I have yet to find a Gearbox DLC that didn't consist of a fairly substantial expansion (game modes, multiple maps/levels (usually combined with game modes and at reasonable prices), fairly lengthy campaigns, etc.) to the main game (disregarding one or two small pre-order bonuses that don't matter in the long run anyway).

When I look at the track record for DLC from a company, I'm looking for what I consider supplemental expansions that benefit the main game, but are not required to enjoy the main game; the base game must have been and felt like a complete experience. If a company has taken this approach in the past and they offer a fairly sizable discount for pre-purchasers, I'll jump on it. I want to support companies that do good business more than being a cheapo. Oh, I think I heard my (CPU) Cheapass Purchasing Unit explode just now.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying the DLC won't be good or worthwhile. My comments are merely about the fact that before a game even releases, you already have a sale of "future" content for a game. It's not really future content, because in all honestly they either took things out of the original game and will nickel and dime it as DLC or purposely did not incorporate it into the game upon launch to continue the revenue stream down the line.

I really would have no problem with DLC if it worked like expansions where it genuinely felt like after releasing the game they decided to add something to the existing game. But this is not the case nowadays. Instead, it is take the game - sell 60% to the consumer at MSRP and then divide the remaining 40% into "DLC" and get more money that way.

[quote name='Preedatore']@ fox

My comment was directed at you. I was referencing the "lost some cag brownie points" by seraphym.[/QUOTE]

No prob, I didn't take offense or anything, I just want to make it clear I'm not trying to judge anyone's "CAGness" or trying to imply that buying DLC is anti-CAG or even buying MSRP. I agree that if you buy something MSRP and you enjoy the heck out of it and get your use out it then you have nothing to be ashamed of.

My comments are really just at the disturbing trend of DLC (at least in my opinion).

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']
I really would have no problem with DLC if it worked like expansions where it genuinely felt like after releasing the game they decided to add something to the existing game. But this is not the case nowadays. Instead, it is take the game - sell 60% to the consumer at MSRP and then divide the remaining 40% into "DLC" and get more money that way.[/QUOTE]

Well said! I don't think anyone could disagree with that.
I guess I just feel like the Borderlands DLC have been and will be(I hope) more like an actual expansion. Especially when compared to say Dungeon Defender DLCs :drool:

Thanks Preedatore ;)

@Fox, I didn't think you were judging me or anything. I was just trying to insert a lil humor at the end of my post. I know I'm new around here, but if I really thought folks were going to judge me based on my buying habits I wouldn't be trying to be a part of such a fine community. :grouphug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we should just be glad game prices have risen at a rate well below inflation. Almost 30 years ago it cost me $50 for a shitty 5 man project for Nintendo. That same $50 item should cost me $100 now with inflation. Now games are made by 500 person teams, if the hour long credits are anything to go buy, and have only jumped $10. I know, I know...bigger market, higher demand, streamlining the process. Big oil has a much bigger market, higher demand, streamlined processes and....a 400% increase in prices. Yay game industry for keeping somewhat reasonable, especially the little guys.

[quote name='Preedatore']I think we should just be glad game prices have risen at a rate well below inflation. Almost 30 years ago it cost me $50 for a shitty 5 man project for Nintendo. That same $50 item should cost me $100 now with inflation. Now games are made by 500 person teams, if the hour long credits are anything to go buy, and have only jumped $10. I know, I know...bigger market, higher demand, streamlining the process. Big oil has a much bigger market, higher demand, streamlined processes and....a 400% increase in prices. Yay game industry for keeping somewhat reasonable, especially the little guys.[/QUOTE]

That's a positive way to try to keep things in perspective, but to me DLC is how they have kept up with inflation!

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']That's a positive way to try to keep things in perspective, but to me DLC is how they have kept up with inflation![/QUOTE]

Now that I agree with 100%. Oh wait, it's a campaign year. We need controversy. DLC is a product of a mismanaged welfare system. To fix the DLC problem we have to start at the source. No more freeloading on America's dime!

I'm keep seeing a lot of copies of Warlock MotA on steamgifts. I didn't see it in the inde gala bundle or the indie royale bundle. Is there another bundle floating around that I'm not privy to?

[quote name='Frithsblessing']I'm keep seeing a lot of copies of Warlock MotA on steamgifts. I didn't see it in the inde gala bundle or the indie royale bundle. Is there another bundle floating around that I'm not privy to?[/QUOTE]

It's part of the Amazon paradox pack... like 150 bucks worth of games for 10 bucks.

[quote name='Preedatore']I think we should just be glad game prices have risen at a rate well below inflation. Almost 30 years ago it cost me $50 for a shitty 5 man project for Nintendo. That same $50 item should cost me $100 now with inflation. Now games are made by 500 person teams, if the hour long credits are anything to go buy, and have only jumped $10. I know, I know...bigger market, higher demand, streamlining the process. Big oil has a much bigger market, higher demand, streamlined processes and....a 400% increase in prices. Yay game industry for keeping somewhat reasonable, especially the little guys.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was really nice of them to use a bit of lube while bending us over

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Yeah, it was really nice of them to use a bit of lube while bending us over[/QUOTE]

That's when you know it's a legitimate rape...

I don't mind DLC terribly much, and I don't think it's fair to suggest that most developers excises parts of the base game to artificially create DLC, though there are cases of this that are irrefutable.

I prefer to look at it this way. Companies can always continue making their games better by developing them longer. Always. Anything that releases COULD have had an extra mode, an extra level, an extra character, an extra hour of recorded dialogue, had the devs chosen to cook it a little longer. But it has to release some time. As long as what releases is a solid game in its own right, then I'm content.

If I play the game and then want more, I'll weigh each purchase separately, and I'll be glad the developer kept adding to it post-release.

On the other hand, if I've had my fill already or if what's released as DLC doesn't seem like anything of value, then I feel glad I didn't have to pay more upfront to get the "complete" package and pay for features I didn't use or want. It's as if they released the game with a "lite" version.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']It's part of the Amazon paradox pack... like 150 bucks worth of games for 10 bucks.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. I completely forgot about the Amazon labor day sale.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']
I'm not saying the DLC won't be good or worthwhile. My comments are merely about the fact that before a game even releases, you already have a sale of "future" content for a game. It's not really future content, because in all honestly they either took things out of the original game and will nickel and dime it as DLC or purposely did not incorporate it into the game upon launch to continue the revenue stream down the line.

I really would have no problem with DLC if it worked like expansions where it genuinely felt like after releasing the game they decided to add something to the existing game. But this is not the case nowadays. Instead, it is take the game - sell 60% to the consumer at MSRP and then divide the remaining 40% into "DLC" and get more money that way.[/QUOTE]

While I don't agree with your perspective regarding future DLC, I can recognize that there are cases where DLC has been abused tremendously. The basis for most good DLC is not to remove original content or deteriorate the primary game, rather to provide people who enjoyed the main game with more to do and with a relatively cheaper cost to the developer (avoid disc licensing, less time to work out kinks when using a completed engine, etc.).

Most developers have wishlists and features they would love to include if they could work on the game without a set deadline, but very few studios can spend ages on end adding/testing/perfecting new features without new revenue coming in (at least without pissing off their publisher if they aren't the rare, sizable independent studio). In order to be able to stay afloat, studios need that big release and with this stabilizing them they can now work on the ideas that they originally wanted to implement. It's not so easy to make enough money to support a sizable studio of programmers, artists, deisgners, etc. even with a $60 game release.

Informative link about the typical $60 cost breakdown: http://unrealitymag.com/index.php/2011/04/29/how-your-60-video-game-is-chopped-up/

Steam/digital distributor sales provide more to the developer as it removes parts of various fees, but the value is still a small part of $60 overall.

[quote name='Preedatore']I think we should just be glad game prices have risen at a rate well below inflation. Almost 30 years ago it cost me $50 for a shitty 5 man project for Nintendo.[/QUOTE]
PC games weren't really priced the same as console games though. This comes up all the time and I got bored once and did some looking around for actual PC game prices:

MSRP pricing from some 1990 issues of Compute!

Champions of Krynn (SSI Gold Box) - $39.95
Altered Beast - $34.95
Shinobi - $23.95
Paperboy - $25.95
Blue Angels - $49.95
Beyond Dark Castle - $29.95
Battletech - $27.99
Gauntlet II - $29.95
Sentinel Words I - $34.95
Might & Magic II - $39.95
SimCity - $29.95

Those prices are either the MSRP from reviews or listed in publisher ads. You could get them cheaper from mail order outlets and stuff but the average price for a 'major' game then was $30. The SSI Gold Box and Might & Magic games were like a major CRPG release today. Blue Angels was some flight sim/combat game that I don't remember at all -- maybe no one bought it because it was $50 :lol:

Adjusted for inflation, game prices haven't really moved much. $30 then was around $50 today. I won't get into the whole DLC or "But games are better now" debate, just that the inflation-adjusted basic price for a PC game today is pretty much what you were paying for a PC game in 1990.

[quote name='Syntax Error']PC games weren't really priced the same as console games though. This comes up all the time and I got bored once and did some looking around for actual PC game prices:

MSRP pricing from some 1990 issues of Compute!

Champions of Krynn (SSI Gold Box) - $39.95
Altered Beast - $34.95
Shinobi - $23.95
Paperboy - $25.95
Blue Angels - $49.95
Beyond Dark Castle - $29.95
Battletech - $27.99
Gauntlet II - $29.95
Sentinel Words I - $34.95
Might & Magic II - $39.95
SimCity - $29.95

Those prices are either the MSRP from reviews or listed in publisher ads. You could get them cheaper from mail order outlets and stuff but the average price for a 'major' game then was $30. The SSI Gold Box and Might & Magic games were like a major CRPG release today. Blue Angels was some flight sim/combat game that I don't remember at all -- maybe no one bought it because it was $50 :lol:

Adjusted for inflation, game prices haven't really moved much. $30 then was around $50 today. I won't get into the whole DLC or "But games are better now" debate, just that the inflation-adjusted basic price for a PC game today is pretty much what you were paying for a PC game in 1990.[/QUOTE]

Ack! SSI Gold Boxes! I'm having flashbacks to insane DRM.
What's the 5th word, line 2 of page 17 of the manual??

I remember paying $70 for my copy of Ultima 7: The Black Gate on 3.5" floppy. That was at a mall EB, though.

I like some of these new features in the client beta, but things like the back button not working like it's supposed to when you view screenshots is starting to drive me nuts.

[quote name='streakermaximus']Ack! SSI Gold Boxes! I'm having flashbacks to insane DRM.
What's the 5th word, line 2 of page 17 of the manual??[/QUOTE]
Match Rune A to Rune B on this cardboard spinny wheel and what word do you get?

I agree with both Fox and the if you enjoyed it it was worth it crowd. Borderlands 2 is a safer bet, more of the same (in a good way). I'm one of the ones who is very happy to pay the current price for Spec Ops: The Line and have really enjoyed it (CAGs+demo sold me on it).

Remember there are more reasons than just price to wait: patches, rebalancing, did it live up to it's hype, my current PC can't run it very well / wait for demo to test.

Quick Prices off the top of my head.
Deathlord (1987, Apple ][, C64) $40 (maybe maybe $30) (the biggest RPG world on two floppies -- thanks to run length coding)
BattleChess (1988, Apple ][) $30
Wasteland (1989, Apple ][, C64) $40
Robosport (1991, Dos/Win 3.1/Mac) $60 (maybe $80) Maxis
Dune II (1992, Dos) $40
Myst (1993, Mac) $60

However there were also bundle/deals back then, I remember getting a bundle with Paperboy, Gauntlet, Into the Eagles Nest, and two other games for $20 in '88. One of the best was Interplay's 10 Year Anthology (1993, $40 iirc): Mindshadow, The Bard's Tale, Tass Times at Tonetown, Wasteland, Battle Chess, Dragon Wars, Castles, Lord of the Rings Vol 1, Star Trek 25th Anniversary (I think this was the one with voice recognition), Out of this World.

Hi everyone, not sure if this has been posted before but I stumbled upon a new indie bundle site currently in open beta: http://www.indiebundle.org/

"With a set price for Desura games at $5 and Steam at $10 for a 3-game bundle, there are no gimmicks and no “fluff” games. You get a great deal on three games you will actually play. Bundles are organized and distilled so that each game in a bundle is unique in style but similar in genre." -indiedb

There's not much at the moment and the price tag might not seem appealing to most CAGs ($10 for 3 games does sound lackluster compared to other bundles). However, it does serve to help the developers a bit more if you would like to show some support when buying indie games at a small fraction of the cost.

[quote name='tehero']Hi everyone, not sure if this has been posted before but I stumbled upon a new indie bundle site currently in open beta: http://www.indiebundle.org/

"With a set price for Desura games at $5 and Steam at $10 for a 3-game bundle, there are no gimmicks and no “fluff” games. You get a great deal on three games you will actually play. Bundles are organized and distilled so that each game in a bundle is unique in style but similar in genre." -indiedb

There's not much at the moment and the price tag might not seem appealing to most CAGs ($10 for 3 games does sound lackluster compared to other bundles). However, it does serve to help the developers a bit more if you would like to show some support when buying indie games at a small fraction of the cost.[/QUOTE]

Sooo, they put "Where $5 = 3 Games Everyday" at the top of every page, but if you want these games on Steam, you gotta pay twice as much.

Also, "Where are the STEAM games? One their way!" = facepalm.

I'm all for supporting devs, but if you were that into it, why not purchase directly from them?

Three games you will actually play is a powerful statement to make considering what they've got on offer. Of the upcoming games, only Antipole looks good

^nice find tehero

Unfortunately with the advent of cheap indie bundles (especially Indie Gala 8 where you can get Sacred Gold, 5 other games, and music for less than $2 with Happy hour group buy) or (5 games for about $5 at Indie Royale), $10 for 3 indie title is a bit much when the bar (quality and value-wise) has been raise so much. (At least none of the bundle contain Revelation 2012) :D

I agree, it's a bit too much and seems catered more toward Desura at the moment, but just putting it out there since it is Steam related.

Desura doesn't have its own thread to my knowledge but I think cross-posting unique deals from other services has a place here. Gamersgate is a lot of fun and they do DRM free downloads usually. Whoever suggested Carcassonne from GG for $5 is my hero.

That's the same reason I bring up Banzai Pecan here. Some games you just should know about even if you only have Steam

Love the idea, but like others have pointed out the execution is not there. For example, on the adventure bundle I've gotten all three of those games on desura already in other bundles. They need to go with more recent and buzzworthy games if their concept is quality over quantity.

[quote name='RollingSkull']
That's the same reason I bring up Banzai Pecan here. Some games you just should know about even if you only have Steam[/QUOTE]
Funny how that game is up on Greenlight as well. Would not have noticed that game before had you not brought it up way back then.

[quote name='dfg']Sooo, they put "Where $5 = 3 Games Everyday" at the top of every page, but if you want these games on Steam, you gotta pay twice as much.

Also, "Where are the STEAM games? One their way!" = facepalm.[/QUOTE]
It's possible that they meant "Where $5 = 3 Everyday Games" (as that is actual English). Either that, or "3 Games Every Day". Either way, it doesn't look like they're native English speakers. Not that this should be counted against the games/prices, of course, but it might mean that their descriptions and terms aren't accurate, so be careful!

I generally agree and, like others, I'll give Gearbox a free pass in the case of Borderlands 2. The DLC for the first game was mostly exceptional and even the most hated of them - Moxxie - was good for a bit of fun. I expect more of the same this time around.

I remember the days when expansions were the way a company would extend the life of the game and I think I'll take DLC over that provided it is quality. Often times expansions were derived of material that didn't make the cut the first time around and, because it was disc-based, often didn't arrive on store shelves until after you were done with the original.

I kinda do dislike the practice of a "Season Pass" though. Many times it's really a leap of faith on the part of the customer to pay for something before you even know what it is. I think a developer has the responsibility to provide more details about what you should expect with your purchase.

[quote name='randomdud']While I don't agree with your perspective regarding future DLC, I can recognize that there are cases where DLC has been abused tremendously.
[/QUOTE]

Well said

[quote name='vince_carter']where was everyone getting the BL2 season pass from for $17 ;/[/QUOTE]

Yeah where???

[quote name='vince_carter']where was everyone getting the BL2 season pass from for $17 ;/[/QUOTE]

Buddy of mine in Australia. They fixed the price pretty fast though.

[quote name='Syntax Error']Match Rune A to Rune B on this cardboard spinny wheel and what word do you get?[/QUOTE]

Copy protection for Neuromancer for the Apple IIGS was wicked.

cont3.jpg

[quote name='asheskitty']
Remember there are more reasons than just price to wait: patches, rebalancing, did it live up to it's hype, my current PC can't run it very well / wait for demo to test.[/QUOTE]

This is the biggest thing that is pushing me to hold off buying day 1 unless there is a major discount on the pre order of a game. So many games like Civ 5 and Shogun 2 became a night and day difference after just 6 months of waiting and by then both games were around 50-60% of release price if not more with the Steam sales.

Every time I pre-order it feels like I am taking a gamble, sites like GmG with the 40% off base price helps off set that I feel. But even then after Empire and Shogun 2, I am waiting at least 6 months to get Rome 2.

[quote name='iSerra']http://www.getloadedgo.com/

Any 2 games from the selection below for just $15, all steamworks keys.

- Serious Sam 3: BFE Seriously Digital Edition
- Red Orchestra 2 GOTY
- us Ex Human Revolution: Augmented Edition
- Dungeon Siege III + DLC bundle[/QUOTE]

Interesting, but better prices right now at gamefly on DeusEx:HR (7.49) & Dungeon Seige III (4.99)

I've never heard of getloadgo.com - has anyone here used them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back