The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V5! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

This is a Wiki post. Please read this
We appreciate you helping keep this thread up to date. The sales change virtually every day so no one person has the time to update them all. If you notice a game is no longer on sale, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see a game is on sale, add it to the list. Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.
for instructions on updating the thread.

Steam Games and DLC on Sale - Updated 12/16

Daily Deal(s)

Midweek Madness Deal(s) Weekend Deal(s)

Other Deals

Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 9/23

Amazon
  • Amazon - Preorders

• Amazon - Current Deals

GamersGate

Greenman Gaming

Preorder Deals - Updated 10/28
Group Buys - Updated 8/14

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff - Updated 4/3

There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card.
The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Which retail CD Keys are accepted on Steam?

All retail Valve games and a number of third-party games can be registered to your Steam account. All of the following games can be registered through Steam:
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: ####-#####-####
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • AI War CD Keys in various formats
  • Aliens vs. Predator (2010 Release) CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Alpha Prime CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Audiosurf CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • BRINK CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is not accepted on Steam
  • Cities in Motion CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Civilization V CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Cricket Revolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys may also have been printed incorrectly, please see the Dark Messiah article
  • Darksiders CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: The number 2 and letter Z may look very similar.
  • Dawn of War II CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dawn of War II - Retribution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Defense Grid CD Keys in this format (Direct2Drive only): 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Duke Nukem Forever CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Empire: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-DDEFGH3-IJK4L-MNOPQ-RST56
  • F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • F.E.A.R. 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Fallout: New Vegas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2010 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2011 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Front Mission Evolved CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Global Agenda CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Keys purchased directly from the Global Agenda website cannot be registered on Steam.
  • GTI Racing CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • GTR Evolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Homefront CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Humble Indie Bundle in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 2 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 3 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Just Cause 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Please input all O's and 0's as Q's for Just Cause 2
  • Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Killing Floor CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lara Croft Guardian of Light CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Last Remnant CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lionheart: Kings' Crusade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Extreme Condition CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Colonies Edition CD Keys are not accepted on Steam
  • Mafia 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Magicka CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Metro 2033 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • MLB Front Office Manager CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: Warband CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • NBA 2K9 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Napoleon: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Order of War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Prey CD Keys in this format: AAB1BB2C345CDD6E E7
  • R.U.S.E. CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: R.U.S.E. keys from Ubisoft's Digital River service are not accepted on Steam
  • RACE - the WTCC Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • RACE 07 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ragdoll Kung Fu CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Railworks CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Red Orchestra CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Rogue Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • SiN Episodes: Emergence CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Saint's Row 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Serious Sam HD CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Shattered Horizon CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Ship CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ship Simulator Extremes CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Silent Hill Homecoming CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Sniper: Ghost Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Space Trader CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Speedball 2 - Tournament in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Star Trek: D-A-C CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • STCC - The Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Super Meat Boy CD keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Supreme Commander 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Torchlight CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Note: Only keys purchased directly from Runic Games or Perfect World prior to May 19th, 2010 can be registered on Steam.
  • Total War: SHOGUN 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Unreal Tournament 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2-3FGH-456I-K8LM
  • Velvet Assassin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings in this format: AB-1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM
  • Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • X3: Terran Conflict CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Zeno Clash CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
Opposing Force CD-keys cannot be registered through Steam. Opposing Force was included in a retail Half-Life package. The Half-Life CD-key included in the package will unlock all of the games in that package, including Opposing Force.
Note: Only the retail games listed above can be registered through Steam. No other retail games can be registered and downloaded using Steam.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

The Ball (bought @D2D and tested by voken)
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon and tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Terlan']Orion Dino Beatdown is the daily deal for $5.[/QUOTE]

There is also a 4 pack for $14.97 which i will be buying if anyone is interested in going in.

Note that it doesn't work for 32 Bit OS?

Weird.

[quote name='M_F_A_H']"This promotion is paused for a few minutes."

Thanks though.[/QUOTE]

You guys took this viral, and posted the answers to our questions. Now we have to make up new questions. No more cheating!

Seriously, what did they expect would happen? :lol:

[quote name='dobedobedo']I also didn't realize I already had the Premium Card pack for Gotham City Impostors.
26PK0-Y95V9-0Q2YL[/QUOTE]

I used it. Thanks!

[quote name='facls']Now it's showing Half Life 2 as the daily deal, for 66% off.[/QUOTE]
Half of 66 = 33, Half life 3/Episode3. Gabe be straight trolling :whistle2:x

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard'][/B]Seriously, what did they expect would happen? :lol:[/QUOTE]

lol, they're banning people over on SPUF that post answers now.

[quote name='facls']Now it's showing Half Life 2 as the daily deal, for 66% off.[/QUOTE]

I don't know why, but I found that to be hilarious.

[quote name='wuxbustah8']Would it be worth it to pick up Half Life 2 now, or should I wait for the Half Life Complete pack to go on sale again?[/QUOTE]

Wait for the complete pack, this is a troll price.

[quote name='vince_carter']thanks but now i'm getting this message

"Sorry, this offer is for PAX attendees who visited our booth!"

weak
[/QUOTE]

Use a different browser, or try clearing your cache/cookies. I had that error in firefox, but didn't in chrome. Also pasting the link into your browser may work, rather than clicking the link here.

[quote name='sunghost']Use a different browser, or try clearing your cache/cookies. I had that error in firefox, but didn't in chrome. Also pasting the link into your browser may work, rather than clicking the link here.[/QUOTE]

this. anw the promotion is paused right now so ...

Dirt promo is back up. The answers are readily available from their website, plus Google search. Also check their Facebook page. I'm not going to give away the answers though, but it's super simple.

Oh wow, that was fast. I actually managed to get a code. I'm usually way too slow for these, especially when I have to go research answers.

edit: There were only 239 codes after the pause, if anyone was curious.

I'm about five levels into Noted Meat Boy Clone They Bleed Pixels and my verdict is, eh, s'alright I guess. It's interesting but too much of the game is combat on slippery floors or platforming on slippery floors and, of course, spikes. There are a few cute ideas here like the checkpointing system but eh... It's good enough but you've played this game before, many times and cheaper still. Wait for a bundle.

The whole pixel indie platformer thing is getting too predictable.

Darn i just missed one congrat's to those who got them!
[quote name='Severose']Thanks for the heads-up on the offer, I got one after searching the site for the answers. Whew...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='wuxbustah8']Would it be worth it to pick up Half Life 2 now, or should I wait for the Half Life Complete pack to go on sale again?[/QUOTE]

I went ahead and bought it. I may have saved a few bucks down the road when everything else goes on sale, but really, I'm only interested in this and Episodes 1&2, so I don't really want The Orange Box of the Complete Pack. So really, it depends on what you want. I just got a PC and really want to play HL2, so it was worth it for me to spend a few bucks on one of my favorite games. If you know you really want everything, you may want to wait.

Oh and for pity's sake don't buy the horrible soundtrack to They Bleed Pixels when you DO get it. Just mute the ingame music and loop one of those Meat Boy or BoI soundtracks you've got from all the bundles

I think I burned myself out on sleeping dogs this weekend. I got home from work on friday played sleeping dogs for part of my night. Sunday and Monday were pretty much all sleeping dogs.

I mean don't get me wrong, I fucking love that game but looking back at my weekend, besides Saturday which was spending the day with my GF, all I remember is sleeping dogs :lol:.

Me too! But I just finished it, I have to say, the main missions (Green BLIP on radar) are some of the most entertaining and engaging story missions I have seen in a sandbox game. I tend to stay away from the genre because I get bored, but Sleeping Dogs was like crack.

Ever since I installed my new video card on Friday I've been tempted to buy a bunch of new games just to celebrate the fact I can actually play moderately graphically-demanding games. I keep reminding myself I already have a bunch in my backlog... But that's just not the same. :p

Playing Borderlands is a whole new experience for me, though. Before all my settings were pretty low, but now I can basically max everything. Love it!!

[quote name='emwearz']Me too! But I just finished it, I have to say, the main missions (Green BLIP on radar) are some of the most entertaining and engaging story missions I have seen in a sandbox game. I tend to stay away from the genre because I get bored, but Sleeping Dogs was like crack.[/QUOTE]
Don't know how far I am in with the game, nor do I want to spoil anything but I must say, the story of this game is on GTA caliber. In fact, I would even go as far as to say that this game is almost as good as the PS2 GTA games, except for the fact there isn't as much crazy shit to do in this game for fun.

Either way, I believe this was well worth my $35. It's addicting. In fact it's my current GOTY, although I am 99% sure it's gonna lose to Borderlands 2. That reminds me, like what 2 weeks to Borderlands 2. Can't fucking wait, and well I might even buy the Season Pass for it.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Don't know how far I am in with the game, nor do I want to spoil anything but I must say, the story of this game is on GTA caliber.[/QUOTE]

Really, I've only played it for a couple minutes (Darksiders 2 grabbed me way harder), but the dialogue and plot seemed a little ridiculous? Just cheesy stuff (says the guy playing Darksiders 2).

Maybe it gets better as it goes along.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Don't know how far I am in with the game, nor do I want to spoil anything but I must say, the story of this game is on GTA caliber. In fact, I would even go as far as to say that this game is almost as good as the PS2 GTA games, except for the fact there isn't as much crazy shit to do in this game for fun.

Either way, I believe this was well worth my $35. It's addicting. In fact it's my current GOTY, although I am 99% sure it's gonna lose to Borderlands 2. That reminds me, like what 2 weeks to Borderlands 2. Can't fucking wait, and well I might even buy the Season Pass for it.[/QUOTE]

I think the story utterly smashes GTA, regardless of era. GTA had many mandatory missions that had no meaning to the story and were boring as all hell. Side missions in Sleeping Dogs at least are related to characters in the universe or are involved in there own mini story arcs.

[quote name='emwearz']I think the story utterly smashes GTA, regardless of era. GTA had many mandatory missions that had no meaning to the story and were boring as all hell. Side missions in Sleeping Dogs at least are related to characters in the universe or are involved in there own mini story arcs.[/QUOTE]

Haha I second this opinion, though I've only played GTA4. I enjoyed SD's story and characters a lot more, but that's probably because I grew up with HK style crime/suspense movies (Infernal Affairs). I thought some things get pretty ridiculous in SD (ludonarrative dissonance and all that), which is kind of weird because the game takes itself way too seriously at times, but I still enjoyed it immensely.

Now is it the best sandbox game I've ever played? While it definitely looks the prettiest, I don't know if I can give it that crown. I enjoyed how ridiculous and over-the-top SRTT went with its missions, I liked the characters and ranged combat in Infamous 2 much more, and I think I prefer the overall story arc of RDR to any other sandbox game. Sleeping Dogs does a lot of things really well, though maybe not the best.

[quote name='zillionandnine']Ever since I installed my new video card on Friday I've been tempted to buy a bunch of new games just to celebrate the fact I can actually play moderately graphically-demanding games. I keep reminding myself I already have a bunch in my backlog... But that's just not the same. :p [/QUOTE]

Dig out the receipts and recreate the experience! Seriously though, sometimes I look at the hard copy boxes on my shelf and get that new-game (for me) yearning. Similar but less intense feeling when I use Grid View on my Steam backlog. I own that? Ooh... shiny...

Imo, the GTA4 storyline was too grim and serious. GTA:VC had the storyline/setting that most appealed to me, 1980s Miami, a minor thug working his way to the top. GTA:SA didn't appeal to be as much but was still better than GTA4, early 1990s LA/SF/LV a wronged victim/gangster trying to set things right, gangsta style. I haven't played GTA4:EEFL yet.

GTA4's episodes don't fix it but they're nice enough if you like the Rockstar rambling writing even half as much as Rockstar itself likes their own writing.

The problem about GTA4 wasn't NECESSARILY the grim and seriousness of it. SD is serious as hell and mixes in the right amount of camp and just good writing to carry the game. My problem, and this carries over to Max Payne 3 and RDR too, is just the Houser writing has this affectation it can't rid itself of. Writing incessant gibbering monologues of parties, drunks, drugs, etc all with a sort of stoned college freshman's wannabe counter-culture rambling... I can't even put it properly into words but it is the sort of writing that thinks itself much, MUCH better than it actually is.

Like, for instance, I challenge any of you in the thread to name two things of consequence that happened in any GTA4 episode, RDR, RDR:UN, or Max Payne 3 that did not happen in the last two missions of either game, from memory (CAGs who JUST BOUGHT MP3 I almost think to exclude from this challenge but I dunno, it's almost even money.). Sleeping Dogs, you do not have that problem.

I also have some issues with the consequences and power levels and what not in each game. Why was that neurotic loser in GTA4 anything approaching a denouement for the game? WE FINALLY DID IT ITS OVER CUZEEN. Because you killed THIS inconsequential beta male? Good grief. And yet for all the people you murder, all the powerful, powerful friends you have made and have dirt on, that Russian you completely ignored still makes you piss your pants? Oh wait, no, he was saved for the episodes where he was another terrible final boss. SA had a similar issue with Tenpenny but at least he was voiced by Samuel L. Jackson. I won't even get started on how hard they nerfed Max. Bah, I could keep ranting for another couple of pages but I still wouldn't make sense.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Disagreed on Borderlands 2. BL1 was awful.[/QUOTE]

In what way was Borderlands awful?

[quote name='emwearz']I think the story utterly smashes GTA, regardless of era. GTA had many mandatory missions that had no meaning to the story and were boring as all hell. Side missions in Sleeping Dogs at least are related to characters in the universe or are involved in there own mini story arcs.[/QUOTE]
Yeah your right. I love the side missions in SD because unlike GTA, they are not just pointless filler. Every side mission feels meaningful, even if it's just collecting some car for some guy, you really feel the impact from the world.

I really think the only reason I like the PS2 GTA games more was when I bet the game I can spend hours screwing around doing nothing but killing peds in hilarious ways. But for sheer story and world, SD takes it.

[quote name='hal']In what way was Borderlands awful?[/QUOTE]
There wasn't a single part of the game that wasn't boring, even in couch co-op I found myself pining for better games. Loot collecting, questing, shooting, traversing, none of these were strong enough to keep me at the table no matter how many times I tried to like it

[quote name='samuelcole']Really, I've only played it for a couple minutes (Darksiders 2 grabbed me way harder), but the dialogue and plot seemed a little ridiculous? Just cheesy stuff (says the guy playing Darksiders 2).

Maybe it gets better as it goes along.[/QUOTE]

The basic storyline is kinda meh, but the DLCs are really good. Even the base story has a lot of funny stuff (are you reading the quests?).

[quote name='M_F_A_H']Waveform has a demo that's less than a GB. I played it and my conclusion is that it's not worth $2 so I'll wait for a bundle.[/QUOTE]
yeah, my wife told me it was crap when I got home from work.

[quote name='kitara91']saw this deal on steam forum

FREE Dirt Showdown

https://www.pugetsystems.com/pax/

(limited keys left)[/QUOTE]
work gets in the way of more free stuff. my son has been wanting this since it was released

[quote name='Severose']Wait for the complete pack, this is a troll price.[/QUOTE]
thank you, I almost caved on the half life 2 deal. I'll wait for now.

I really don't see how many of the side missions in Sleeping Dogs are related to the characters. 9 times out of 10 they're for random people who MAYBE appeared in the far background of one scene. And when they do involve the characters, they're kind of awful. What the hell was with that stalking mission? Why am I creeping on this chick I've had a single date with and acting like a jealous boyfriend out of nowhere? When I took that mission I thought he was tailing her because she works at a criminal hotspot, and thought he could work her/the dude she was meeting from a police angle. Nope, just creepily obsessed over a chick I sang karaoke with.

It's actually one of my bigger gripes with the game. The main story escalates so quickly, and characters disappear for random amounts of time for no apparent reason, that I think they missed a good opportunity to involve some of the characters. Instead of the random Face Missions involving random weirdos, make it a mission for Jackie, or Winston. Have that meathead that's always harrassing you in the early game lead you to the fight clubs or something.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I challenge any of you in the thread to name two things of consequence that happened in any GTA4 episode[/QUOTE]
I agree with you on the writing and would add that it is lacking in that it rarely builds up to something in story. GTA4 main story line: when my annoying cousin's Taxi Depot gets bombed (thus necessitating the move from the starter pad to Roman's GF's apartment on the northside. Later one when taking out some two-bit gangster (part of the mission set from the guy released from prision) and if you make a choice you keep his luxury pad. Both are pad-location related, no confidence, (I was trying to remember the story that lead to Niko being able to purchase the place mid-town and move out of Roman's GF's place. The other memorable bits are the neurotic FBI snitch you date for a while and the rasta dude, "Clucking Chicken, I love tha shit rasta".

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Yeah your right. I love the side missions in SD because unlike GTA, they are not just pointless filler. Every side mission feels meaningful, even if it's just collecting some car for some guy, you really feel the impact from the world.

I really think the only reason I like the PS2 GTA games more was when I bet the game I can spend hours screwing around doing nothing but killing peds in hilarious ways. But for sheer story and world, SD takes it.[/QUOTE]

Oh yes, GTA side missions tend to have the (in character) "why am I doing this shit?" GTA 1, VC, & SA, I could just play for a bit causing mayhem, robbing/killing/cop chases and have a blast. (Never played GTA III)

[quote name='RollingSkull']There wasn't a single part of the game that wasn't boring, even in couch co-op I found myself pining for better games. Loot collecting, questing, shooting, traversing, none of these were strong enough to keep me at the table no matter how many times I tried to like it[/QUOTE]

Everything? Well, ok. I figured you didn't like the story or something. To each his own.

[quote name='asheskitty']Imo, the GTA4 storyline was too grim and serious. GTA:VC had the storyline/setting that most appealed to me, 1980s Miami, a minor thug working his way to the top. GTA:SA didn't appeal to be as much but was still better than GTA4, early 1990s LA/SF/LV a wronged victim/gangster trying to set things right, gangsta style. I haven't played GTA4:EEFL yet.[/QUOTE]

I loved VC, I love Scarface (and I am a massive Al Pacino fan, hence the avatar), and the many elements the game borrows from it, the characters were enjoyable, etc. The problem I had with Vice City was that when you get close to the end, they force you to do so many shitty and boring (A to B) side quests before you can do the finale. They have NOTHING to do with the games story, Rockstar just throw in so much bullshit filler missions it makes you bored hardcore. That was a complete grind and broke the game to me.

"a minor thug working his way to the top" Pretty much all sandbox "GTA-Esque" games center there story around this.

I also really enjoyed in SD, that there was not that much emphasis on gunplay, even though I feel it one uped GTA's sloppy gun play in most ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back